(Close Window)
Topic: ESPy-onage by Stephen Young
There are various strands to The Magic Café and it is all too easy to miss certain things in the different sections. ESPy-onage has already attracted quite a bit of attention in Penny for your Thoughts and Latest and Greatest and, if interested in Stephen Young's latest release, these are well worth checking out.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=476812&forum=15&18

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=476616&forum=218&34

I was lucky enough to get an early set of these cards and they are absolutely brilliant. Larger than normal playing cards, they look as if they have been designed for legitimate testing purposes and, with each containing 7 pieces of information, lend themselves to all sorts of possibilities. If you already use ESP cards, I rate them a must buy - they are that good.

Neil
Thanks Neil.
These were officially launched today. Clicking on the Thought Illusions banner at the top of this page will take you to them.

The beta testers, of which Neil was one, have returned nothing but positive reviews.
The cards are produced by P*r*l*bs so quality is assured.

I'll try to answer any questions anyone has.

Steve
Whatever happened to that CESTA guy? He used to be a beta tester. I'd definitely buy if he reviewed those cards. Oh well.

J
You mean Cesta the Testa ??

Don't worry John, I've got something special in the pipeline for you.

Steve
[quote]
On 2012-08-10 18:30, John C wrote:
Whatever happened to that CESTA guy? He used to be a beta tester. I'd definitely buy if he reviewed those cards. Oh well.

J
[/quote]

I thought he became a mormon and married a northern bloke?
[quote]
On 2012-08-11 05:47, IAIN wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-10 18:30, John C wrote:

J
[/quote]

I thought he became a mormon and married a northern bloke?
[/quote]

No, that was MORON! I would never become a mormon.

J

PS: of course ... no disrespect to mormons. Our next president is a mormon.
A few of your presidents have been morons haven't they?

Sorry J. Couldn't resist.

Steve
Have just done the wife - and son - test using these cards and the reaction was brilliant. In both cases I got them to think of an object based on the colour and shape shown on the cards.

My wife in particular is very hard to impress with the experiments I do but this one really worked a treat and shows just how effective these cards are.

Neil
[quote]
On 2012-08-12 10:10, NeilS wrote:
In both cases I got them to think of an object based on the colour and shape shown on the cards.
[/quote]
Brilliant idea, Neil!
This shows how inspiring these cards are....
[quote]
On 2012-08-11 15:40, Stephen Young wrote:
A few of your presidents have been morons haven't they?

Sorry J. Couldn't resist.

Steve
[/quote]

U couldn't be more correct Steve.
After reading through the pdf, I can hardly wait for the cards to arrive. well done. This one's a winner.
The pdf is only 'the tip of the iceberg.' These cards have so many possibilities.
[quote]
On 2012-08-14 14:44, NeilS wrote:
The pdf is only 'the tip of the iceberg.' These cards have so many possibilities.
[/quote]

'the tip of the iceberg.' is all it took to take down the Titanic

Steve's new idea is one of Titanic proportions.
It's exactly 1 week, to the minute, that ESPy-onage was launched.
The first batch should be hitting doorsteps any time now.

Hopefully you will start to hear reviews from people other than beta testers.

regards
steve
Might take a little while more for mine to arrive; I'm pretty far off from you guys!

~ Nique.
Only one more day to get ESPy-onage at the launch price of 40 euros.
Tomorrow night it goes up to 45 euros

regards
Steve
[quote]
On 2012-08-19 14:29, Stephen Young wrote:
Only one more day to get ESPy-onage at the launch price of 40 euros.
Tomorrow night it goes up to 45 euros

regards
Steve
[/quote]

*** you. You know I don't get paid until this Friday right?

[img]http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/NOOOOOOO_21b252_2993492.jpg[/img]
Just a heads up for purchasers of ESPy-onage.

All orders have been sent out and all PDF have gone as return emails.
Some people are finding it in their spam folders for some reason.

If you don't have your PDF yet please check your spam, and if you still have no luck Email me and I'll re-send it from a different Email account

thanks guys

steve
This may be of interest to some of you who have Evolution and are thinking about ESPy-onage

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=478881&forum=15&3

steve
I received the PDF instructions from Steve this morning. The cards are still winging their way to me. My remote viewing is very rusty, but I'm getting the impression they're still below sea level, in a windmill by a dyke, I'm catching a whiff of Edam-filled clogs. I've no idea where the cards are, but I suspect it's not Kansas.

I knew I'd have to get a set of these as soon as I saw the threads emerging here, but before I bought them I set myself the challenge of working out how I would go about creating a system for these seven pieces of info.

I came up with a method too. But now I've read the first 20 pages of Steve's instructions I can confirm that his version is superior in every way to what I came up with - from the marking system to the memorable and inventive ways of combining simple signifiers to lead to so much diverse information!

Really, really superb ideas, with a reach far beyond just these props I suspect.

Anyway, this is just an enthused first reaction. But I really am deeply impressed.
Your remote viewing is just fine Mathew.
They are indeed below sea level. Seriously, when we go to the beach we have to go uphill.
They are sat at the post office. Probably get collected in about 3 hours.

If anyone who bought ESPy-onage can let me know that the cards have arrived I would be very grateful.
The post seems to be taking a ridiculously long time.

Steve
Still waiting on my deck Stephen. I hope it didn't get lost!

~ Nique
After a a short hang up at customs, mine have arrived safely.
All sets were sent out either the day of order, or the next day.

I've got no idea why they are taking so long, but I have got a few emails that they are starting to touch down now.

I could probably find a slightly faster way but then the post office would charge more.
As it is within Europe they charge me 3.40 Euros to send 1 deck. That's about $5.
Outside Europe they charge me 5.70 Euros about $8(though I still only charge customers 3.40 for post. I pick up the tab for the other 2.30)

I just sent 2 decks to Germany. I sent them "track and trace" because the first 2 never arrived. It cost 17 Euros ($25)
There comes a point where the ratio of value of goods to postage is just not funny.

Maybe I could offer people the choice of shipping methods.
I'll look into it.

But they are starting to arrive finally. And when you get your hands on them, you'll love them.
Any questions, problems remarks, Email me: steve@thoughtillusions.com

Steve
All ESPy-onage owners should now have a free copy of the Evolution Supplement.
they were emailed this morning.

Steve
I have read mine over and it is exciting to say the least - a practical and amazing use of two exceptional products. I will put this application to good use to be sure.
Looks like you got a winner, well done Stephen!
My set arrived yesterday, great quality, looking forward to playing around with it...
since I allready got the pdf, I knew this effect has two of my favourite attributes:
very easy to perform, and practically impossible to back track.
kudos Mr. Young!
Looking forward to real world experiences while I await mine to arrive.
Cards arrived today.

They are whoppers!! Great though. They smell of quality and look great too.
I'm pretty interested in these, can anyone post a more comprehensive review?
Yeah come on guys. The man has money to spend. help him offload it.

Seriously, if you have any questions just PM me.
I'll try to be unbiased.

Steve
MagicAtlas, these cards are like ESP cards on steroids. With so many different options on each card, each of which can be ascertained :), these really do take the standard ESP card to a new level.
This is a list of the data on each card;

A Direction Arrow
A Symbol
A Colour
A set of Initials
A Date
A Time
A 6 fig. Number.

There are 40 cards and they are all different.
That's 280 pieces of data.

You don't need to momorise any of it!

I have come up with a system that allows you to know every piece of data on any chosen card.

Think on this;
So good is this system (see how unbiased I'm being here)that if I were to put out an expansion pack, with another 20 cards to add to the existing cards. Owners would be able to tell what data is on the new cards before they even get hold of them.

Steve
I really like this I don't even have the cards yet. But Steve downloaded the method to me when I told him how I wanted to use it with Reflections. This is very clever and after you work with the principals a little while it becomes very automatic. You will know all the data on each card and can choose what you want to reveal in any order. The imforamation provided is very complete with many professional ways to use this. He even includes a great back story on the cards. Like many have stated this is E.S.P. cards on steroids. The system works like a dream and the only concern I have is showing to much data at one time. However what you choose to reveal is up to you. I know when I do get my cards this will be a worker.
[quote]
On 2012-09-07 07:29, Stephen Young wrote:
Yeah come on guys. The man has money to spend. help him offload it.

Seriously, if you have any questions just PM me.
I'll try to be unbiased.

Steve
[/quote]

Ha Ha Ha! Welcome to my parlor...

I like the description, they sound interesting, and I like that I can use them with reflections (though at this point, I am not sure entirely how).

Can anyone share the sort of reactions that they have had with this?
Mine most likely caught up in customs. Really looking forward to getting on with these.
Me too. And I have an important gig this coming Friday. So, I guess this will have to wait to be performed in front of a real audience but it is something that can also be done one on one so there will be plenty of opportunities to put it to work.

JP
I hear ya JP. I want to get on with mine so I can get them aged fast!
Sorry they seem to be taking a while to get through to you guys.
I send stuff out the day after order unless it's a Saturday, in which case they leave 2 days later.

Your customs guys must be a lot more vigilant than they are here in Europe

Anyone who doesn't have there's by Wednesday, e mail me and I'll send replacements out.
Peter yours are already taken care of.

As for aging the cards. I did a test set and came to the conclusion that a wet aging method is not the best way to do it.
These are not constructed like playing cards and need a different approach.
A dry method with shoe polish worked very well though.

Steve
Customs is a !@#$%, no doubt. Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping fate is on my side.
Do any of you guys have to pay extra tax on stuff you order from Europe.
Sometime when I get stuff from the states I get charged sometimes 15 euros, sometimes 30 euros on top of the item and the shipping I've already paid.

steve
Curious about the dry method with shoe polish Steve. Any specific kind of polish? I would assume neutral?

I know Roth has a secret to his madness. Wonder if his method could be used with any pasteboards.

PS: I never have to pay any customs fees here in the USA. As for the slow speeds, I think it just depends on the time of the year more then anything. Funny, they do not have to deal with as many letters since emails came into being. But mail is much slower also, go figure.

Decomp
There are several threads about DIY card aging on the Café like [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=227160&forum=15]that one[/url] for example.
The most used methods/materials are tea, coffee, shoe polish, distress ink pad, steel wool, oven, ashes and so on... I'd suggest you try out your first attempt on a sample card of similar card stock and gloss.
[quote]
On 2012-09-09 17:38, Stephen Young wrote:
Do any of you guys have to pay extra tax on stuff you order from Europe.
Sometime when I get stuff from the states I get charged sometimes 15 euros, sometimes 30 euros on top of the item and the shipping I've already paid.

steve
[/quote]

In Canada, we only pay customs duty, if the parcel is valued at over $80. Of course, a supplier can kindly place a lesser amount or "gift" on the customs declarartion if he so chooses. Rarely do I get hit with duty or tax. It's just that customs here is understaffed and soooooo *** slow.
[quote]
On 2012-09-10 05:30, Nicolino wrote:
There are several threads about DIY card aging on the Café like [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=227160&forum=15]that one[/url] for example.
The most used methods/materials are tea, coffee, shoe polish, distress ink pad, steel wool, oven, ashes and so on... I'd suggest you try out your first attempt on a sample card of similar card stock and gloss.
[/quote]

Thanks for the phletora of info Nicolino!
How is this packaged - I am beginning to think that Candian customs views this material as real espionnage and is confiscating it at the border without any notice to either shipper or receiver. Perhaps we are being watched as we speak....er, type.
My package was marked on the outside as "Business Cards", which I thought was a nice touch.

It's just a padded envelope though. Shouldn't be too suspicious.
Mine arrived today. Good quality, got to practice. Packaging was excellent....more later, got to get my run in before all nighter.
IMO, I don't devine all 7 categories. Just 2-3 to me is all that is needed unless challenged. I don't want to make it look like it is fixed. :kewl:
This movie was recommended to me tonight:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234548/

May be worth a watch on remote viewing.
Having used these cards quite a few times now, I fully agree with Decomposed that it is best for the spectator to only concentrate on one or two of the categories on the card. Thanks to the system, you could actually allow the spectator the choice of which category to use. Or alternatively, they concentrate on a category and which you seem to have difficulty in picking up. You ask them to concentrate on another one which you do successfully divine and, as a parting shot, add 'Oh were you thinking of such and such a time before?' - as indeed they were, so creating a double whammy.

These cards offer so many wonderful possibilities.
Correct, Neil - you woulnd't use an Invisible Deck three time in row either. Less is (very) often more.
[quote]
On 2012-09-13 03:52, NeilS wrote:
Having used these cards quite a few times now, I fully agree with Decomposed that it is best for the spectator to only concentrate on one or two of the categories on the card. Thanks to the system, you could actually allow the spectator the choice of which category to use. Or alternatively, they concentrate on a category and which you seem to have difficulty in picking up. You ask them to concentrate on another one which you do successfully divine and, as a parting shot, add 'Oh were you thinking of such and such a time before?' - as indeed they were, so creating a double whammy.

I like this....the miss and then coming back to it....btw.
[/quote]
My set is en-route but the PDF download was on my pc within minutes.
This looks very convincing indeed and I also agree with Decomposed, that less is more.
Nice job Steve.

Paul Mc.
Another vote for less is more. And if you come across the same specs at another time, you can always change the reveal. I keep a written diary(so to speak) just so that I know what I did on all previous occasions.
[quote]
On 2012-09-13 03:52, NeilS wrote:

[/quote]

Sweet, I like that Neil, good jazz, "I'm not picking up on that one, please choose a category that perhaps is high priority to you just today"
Yes, you can really jazz it up by playing around with categories. That's why having so much available info is such a plus.

And Wayne, you know how highly I think of you, but.....you really have to change that avatar. How about a genuine police badge?
The elusive replacement card 32 has touched down guys.
All new orders, and a few recent ones, will include the new card.
All replacement cards are on the way to owners as we speak.

Thanks for your patience guys.

Steve
Now that my cards have arrived, I can state without hesitation that this is what I thought it would be and more. Imagine 7 startling revelations all on one chosen card with only an observation and an easy calculation and memory. The card stock and printing is excellent both on front and back. The back story supplied is one that many may use as well. You have the option of revealing a little or a lot depending upon the situation you are in. I am happy with this purchase and definitely will be actively using these cards. Well done, Steve!
Just some info for those still thinking about getting ESPy-onage.

The price was due to rise to €50 but I've managed to arrange to keep the price at €45 for the foreseeable future.
(Foreseeable future seems like an ironic phrase considering that we profess to "know" things that can't be known)

Also the project to collate people's ESPy-onage routines will start soon, so if anyone feels like sharing their presentation ideas send them to me by email
Steve@thoughtillusions.com

Once collected they will be shared to all owners free if charge

Steve
All ESPy-onage owners should have their replacement card 32 now.
If there are any of you still waiting for it please let me know ASAP.

Also anyone thinking of ordering ESPy-onage, just a heads up that I'll be heading to Spain on Sunday morning.
Any orders placed in the next 24 hours will be in the post before I leave.
After that there will be a week delay.

Steve
I just got a nice email from an owner of ESPy-onage.
I thought I'd share it.

Hi Steve,

I have to say I performed ESPy-onage to two guys last night and blew them away. I explained the back story but then said it was unlikely that we could conduct the full experiment succesfully with someone just chosen at random. I then went on to say that different people think in different ways and used my brother and myself as an example, I'm an avid reader fiction and non fiction and used to paint a lot but I'm hopeless at maths, my brother on the other hand is a Principal Maths teacher but has barely read a novel in his life. I then got one guy who was good with numbers to concentrate on the time and date and another who enjoyed reading to focus on the symbol and colour. I then went back to the numbers guy, asked him to concentrate on the six digit code number and managed(deliberately) to get four out of the six numbers. I think this effect may become the only commercial effect that I will use in my main close up set, it is so powerful and impossible to backtrack. I'm going to hold off posting a review until I've worked my restaurant on Sunday because I think this is dynamite.

Cheers
XXXXX

That was nice
Steve
That's good, Steve.

Sometimes when an effect has been out a little while, it drops off people's radar. But ESP-yonage is a real worker and with the cards allowing them to be used and taken in so many directions.

I too have enjoyed great results with them.

Neil
I like to use it for some pre-show. I don't go crazy with it, but what I have 2-3 people at a table each think of a different piece of info, which I reveal during the show. Gets some very interesting looks from the audience. :bg: