(Close Window)
Topic: Karl Fulves Effects
I just wanted to know what effect or effects found in the Karl Fulves books that everyone likes to perform the most.
Gemini Twins from More Self-Working Card Tricks.
Mental Mates and Ultra Coincidence from Self-Working Card Tricks.
Color Flite from the The Big Book of Magic Tricks.
They are all great effect I do like the gemini twins alot. I am an amataur at card magic but it is a beginning.I am a truck driver by trade but I do love magic too bad I didn't make it a career.
Almost everything in "Riffle Shuffle Set-Ups."

I will check this week end and offer my three favourites from this great book!
Gemini Twins
To Lie or Tell the Truth
Color Flite
Miraskil

-Cliff
Peter Duffie has a lovely variation of Gemini twins called 'Foursome' that is worth hunting down. With it you can use the principle to either produce a four of a kind (such as the four queens for example) in a playing card deck or to force any four specific cards. This has numerous applications. For example one might create a false reading using tarot cards. One might also use alphabet cards that spell someone's name out or number cards that one might then work with/predict. For a purer mentalist presentation use colour or images on the face of the cards. The possibilities are many and diverse.
Andy,
Thanks for the tip on Duffie`s 'Foursome', sounds really useful. Is this a commercially sold trick or explained in a book?
If a book, which?

John
Have sent you a PM John.
Does anyone know "Voodoo Clue," from "My Best Self-Working Card Tricks"? It is the cleverest, least obvious use of the Automatic Placement I have ever seen.
I also like the chapter on the Color-changing Deck in "Self-Working Close-up Card Magic," especially #53, "The Red and the Blue."
Thank you for your very helpful PM reply Andy!

Have fun,
John
In Self-Working Card Tricks, p. 29, "The 3 Jacks Deal" -- I'm a little confused. A straight beats a 3 of a kind -- so the trick makes no sense. Am I missing something?

thanks
Walter
Anyone have a chance to check this out?

thanks
Hi Walter,

I checked this out and it worked as instructed. I'm confused about the 3 Jacks beating a Straight also as it would NOT in a typical five card deal. But these are three card deals so maybe??? Just don't know. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in here.

I can think of other ways to present this effect without having the "better hand" idea involved.
Thanks Atom3339. I must have been having a brain freeze. I just did a search, and found that in 3 card poker, 3 of a kind beats a straight. It was just so ingrained in my mind that a straight beats a 3 of a kind...I've never heard before of 3 card poker.
It is an interesting example of how probabilities are not always intuitive.

The reason is that using "three card deals" modify the balance between number of combinations of a straight (much easier to obtain with just three cards) and 3 of a kind (which essentially remain the same).
Quick As A Wink

It is the last trick in his Self-Working Card Tricks.
[quote]
On 2012-09-20 14:40, drhowell wrote:
Gemini Twins
To Lie or Tell the Truth
Color Flite
Miraskil

-Cliff
[/quote]

Great effects but Miraskil(l) is actually a Stewart James effect. It first appeared in The Jinx. MANY magicians have done very cool variants of it, but, credit where credit is due. The effect can also be found in Stewart James in Print, variations in The James File, The Essential Stewart James, and Scarne on Card Tricks.

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: If you like Gemini Twins, check out volume 4 of Nick Trost's Subtle Card Magic published by H&R Magic. There are fantastic variants of this great Fulves effect.
Double-Dealing in Fulves' Self-Working Close-up Card Magic -- same as Nick Trost's Double Discovery in The Card Magic of Nick Trost.
[quote]
On 2012-08-24 10:37, panlives wrote:
Almost everything in "Riffle Shuffle Set-Ups."

I will check this week end and offer my three favourites from this great book!
[/quote]

Panlives,

Wow! I had never heard of this book by Karl Fulves. Thanks for sharing that information.

Mike
Fulves's booklets on the riffle shuffle are very few and far between. Good luck getting one.
I second Quick as a Wink that cybob mentioned. It actually passed the "wife" test.

The approach I took was to have her touch a card in the middle of the deck then simply leave it in place when in reality the card was brought to the bottom of the deck. Then I proceeded with the rest of the trick.

Kevin
Every time I pick one of these books up I find another trick I really like.

I think my overall favourite has to be Gemini Twins but there are certainly some gems within each book. Well worth the little they cost to buy.
[quote]
On 2012-11-22 13:15, Andy Moss wrote:
Peter Duffie has a lovely variation of Gemini twins called 'Foursome' that is worth hunting down. With it you can use the principle to either produce a four of a kind (such as the four queens for example) in a playing card deck or to force any four specific cards. This has numerous applications. For example one might create a false reading using tarot cards. One might also use alphabet cards that spell someone's name out or number cards that one might then work with/predict. For a purer mentalist presentation use colour or images on the face of the cards. The possibilities are many and diverse.
[/quote]

There is an application of Duffie's "Foursome" on Big Blind Media's Ultimate Self-working Card Tricks Vol. 2 DVD. Thank you again, Andy, for sending me a detailed PM about this principle of Duffie's almost exactly a year ago now! It was kind of you to take the time and trouble to do that.
The Aces trick where their card ends up between the Ace of spades and clubs. So simple
Whispering Joker...beautiful self-working trick.
Speaking of credits:

I have a Karl Fulves ms. dated 1979 called [i]Impromptu Opener[/i]. It's a routine of three card tricks, the first of which is clearly the so-called "Gemini Twins" effect though it is here called "Stopped Twice".

In the prefatory remarks, Fulves says, "The opening trick is an old prediction effect." In the description of the trick itself he says, "It goes back prior to 1940, yet it seems to be little known among magicians and consequently little used." While he does not specifically disclaim credit, unless Fulves was born well before 1940 it's hard to see how he could be the originator.

Anyone else have anything on this? While not the most urgent matter, it's a point of curiosity, for those of a certain mindset.
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 17:30, seraph127 wrote:
Speaking of credits:

I have a Karl Fulves ms. dated 1979 called [i]Impromptu Opener[/i]. It's a routine of three card tricks, the first of which is clearly the so-called "Gemini Twins" effect though it is here called "Stopped Twice".

In the prefatory remarks, Fulves says, "The opening trick is an old prediction effect." In the description of the trick itself he says, "It goes back prior to 1940, yet it seems to be little known among magicians and consequently little used." While he does not specifically disclaim credit, unless Fulves was born well before 1940 it's hard to see how he could be the originator.

Anyone else have anything on this? While not the most urgent matter, it's a point of curiosity, for those of a certain mindset.

[/quote]

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3586&p=38399&hilit=gemini+twins#p38399
[quote]
On 2014-02-08 02:09, tltq wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 17:30, seraph127 wrote:
Speaking of credits:

[/quote]

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3586&p=38399&hilit=gemini+twins#p38399
[/quote]

Thanks so much! I've been wondering about this for a while.

For the benefit of others, here's Max Maven's reply to Ryan Matney from the aforementioned Genie thread:

[quote][quote]
[QB]Roberto Giobbi states that the effect/principle was first published in "The Jinx" no. 83 March 9, 1940 pg 535 credited not to Anneman but to Herb Rungie. Fulves was aware of the credit when he used the trick as part of a longer routine. [/quote]Not exactly. When Fulves first published the trick as part of a manuscript ("Gambler's Third Lesson" if memory serves) he knew the principle went back to the 1940s, but did not know the specific reference. He discovered the Rungie credit only in the last decade or so, and promptly put that information in print.[/quote]
Wow! I was about to pose the same question, and I came to this forum and there are so many suggestions! I love the Fulves card books, and have all of them which I acquired inexpensively or lightly used. (I also have overlap, as I didn't know that More SWCT was the second half of the compilation reprint Foolproof CT.) Some of his effects are a little too mathematical or complex for my taste, but the simple elegant ones, like some of the ones suggested above, are really nice. I am coming back to SOH card magic for the first time since boyhood, but I do like to break up the manipulation stuff with self-working mystifiers.

Les
[quote]
On 2013-03-17 06:12, Claudio wrote:
Fulves's booklets on the riffle shuffle are very few and far between. Good luck getting one.
[/quote]

There is a chapter of the same name in More SWCTs (and therefore it is also in the compilation Foolproof Card Tricks). It is a short chapter, but perhaps the favourites from the rare booklet are to be found there?

Les
I am surprised that NO ONE has mentioned Ace Triumph toward the end of More Self-Working Card Tricks (also, of course, in the Foolproof Card Magic compilation).

This is a non-SOH trick, of course, but it requires a deft approach (not that hard to achieve) that convinces the spectator that the cards are topsy-turvy then magically restored except for the reversed aces. The series of multiple cuts and flips prior to the (genuine) riffle shuffle is quite convincing.

With a little SOH the trick is easily adapted to the traditional Triumph effect by controlling and reversing a selection however one chooses to do it before proceeding with the cuts and shuffle as in Fulves. I love the Triumph routine and now have numerous ways to do it, a couple with a gaffed deck and a few more, including this one, with a regular deck.

Les
I just consulted my copy of MSWCT, and I discovered to my surprise that I had marked "Ace Triumph" with a star.

I have too ***ed many books, I guess...
For "Open Prediction" fans (all nine of 'em, heh), Fulves has a version in MSWCT in which the spectator does all the work. This in itself should appeal to those who start threads asking for miraculous card tricks without sleights and done out of the magician's hands.
[quote]
On 2014-02-11 02:11, seraph127 wrote:
I just consulted my copy of MSWCT, and I discovered to my surprise that I had marked "Ace Triumph" with a star.

I have too ***ed many books, I guess...
[/quote]

On the recommendation of the Café contributors I got pretty well all of the Dover Fulves card books, new or lightly used, over a three week period. I even got MSWCT before I realized it was bundled in the "Foolproof" book with the now hard-to-get New SWCT. (Anyone in the Toronto area who wants to take it off my hands for a couple of unopened packs of Bikes, blue preferred, can PM me.) That, plus Royal Road, Expert Card Technique, the Hugard Encyclopedia, Erdnase, Buckley, a couple of coin books, plus Bikes, Tallys, and--now in the post--Phoenixes. And I just got back in to card magic before Christmas :)

Too many books, too many decks of cards, etc. Drives my wife crazy. But I could be into golfing, classic cars, or women half my age, so magic isn't so bad ;)

Les
Roger that, Les. :D
I second Quick as a Wink.
[quote]
On 2014-02-13 14:57, seraph127 wrote:
[/quote]

Oh! Forgot to mention the Mimesis order that just arrived today. Svengali, Mirage, Stripper, BW, ID, etc. Mr. Evans does some fine work.
[quote]
On 2014-02-13 17:26, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]
On 2014-02-13 14:57, seraph127 wrote:
[/quote]

Oh! Forgot to mention the Mimesis order that just arrived today. Svengali, Mirage, Stripper, BW, ID, etc. Mr. Evans does some fine work.
[/quote]

I bought one of his "54 Locator" decks some time back.

Impressive...
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 03:05, Hushai wrote:
Does anyone know "Voodoo Clue," from "My Best Self-Working Card Tricks"? It is the cleverest, least obvious use of the Automatic Placement I have ever seen.
[/quote]

I do like it, but with the multiple steps and dealing and card shifting and counting, etc., I fear the savvy spectator will conclude it is entirely mathematical and will not be too bowled over. There are cleaner and simpler effects in the Fulves works with a lot more punch.

Les
[quote]
On 2014-02-17 00:54, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 03:05, Hushai wrote:
[/quote]

I do like it, but with the multiple steps and dealing and card shifting and counting, etc., I fear the savvy spectator will conclude it is entirely mathematical and will not be too bowled over. There are cleaner and simpler effects in the Fulves works with a lot

[/quote]

But, the presentation should EMPHASIZE the math, and claim that there are little-known
mathematical connections between the cards, even in a shuffled deck, that enable the initiated to predict a card in one group just from an examination of the apparently unrelated cards in the other group. In this trick the rigamarole of a math-based trick should be played UP, not down. It will drive anyone who thinks you're somehow really doing what you say crazy.
[quote]
On 2014-02-20 21:17, Hushai wrote:
But, the presentation should EMPHASIZE the math, and claim that there are little-known
mathematical connections between the cards, even in a shuffled deck, that enable the initiated to predict a card in one group just from an examination of the apparently unrelated cards in the other group. In this trick the rigamarole of a math-based trick should be played UP, not down. It will drive anyone who thinks you're somehow really doing what you say crazy.
[/quote]

I am coming around on this point, yes. Likewise with Miraskil in its many variations. The latter is so very simple in it's working it really shouldn't be such a baffler. But the there are so many variations--some much more impressive than the versions given in Fulves and Scarne. These are reminiscent of OOTW, which decades later still is pleaser even though you and I know the secret is so simple.

Les
[quote]
On 2013-12-15 11:44, Rogerbest wrote:
[/quote]

Do you not find the contrived "shuffle" a bit hackneyed and unmagical?
[quote]
On 2013-12-14 23:15, ummer21 wrote:
The Aces trick where their card ends up between the Ace of spades and clubs. So simple
[/quote]

Quick as a Wink, as mentioned earlier. The finish requires a little skill to make it look magical, but it is a pretty trick when pulled off. It is the simplest of key card locations, but the magical is in giving the spec plenty of power in choosing his card and doing just enough shuffling to leave an impression on him but not so much as to hinder locating the card. I get nice results out of it for something really so simple.

Les
I used to work as a civilian contractor for a police department back when CSI was the most popular show on the planet and my favorite trick to perform (actually, the only one I performed consistently, as at the time I had all but given up magic) for kids was trick #25 in Karl Fulves "Self-Working Close-Up Card Magic." I presented it from a CSI aspect, telling the kids that I learned this procedure in the department's forensics lab, using the "clues" as "forensic evidence." The trick is nothing but a swindle (Fulves himself admits this), but the presentation went over really well every time I used it and nobody ever caught on to the swindle.

On edit: I forgot to onclude the name of the trick, which is "A Card Is Found."
I'm really a big fan of a Mike Roger's creation called "Silver Trap" in Foolproof Card Tricks by Karl Fulves (or more specifically New Self Working Card Tricks that was reprinted in that book).

It's the same concept as "Quick as a Wink" but with borrowed coins. I've used it for years and it never fails to get a great reaction. I often use it as a seugeway into some coin magic.

David
[quote]On Nov 25, 2012, Hushai wrote:
Does anyone know "Voodoo Clue," from "My Best Self-Working Card Tricks"? It is the cleverest, least obvious use of the Automatic Placement I have ever seen.[/quote]

Simon Aronson's Breathing Spell (from Try the Impossible) uses the exact same principle in a spelling effect. Aronson's Self Control from The Aronson Approach is very similar. I really think Voodoo Clue or the Aronson effects mentioned deserve to be studied so as to understand what actually goes on. I didn't like Voodoo Clue at first, considering it obviously too mathematical. However, on can vary the parameters of the effect so as to provide good cover and more mystery. For muggles I think a speller is a really good way to mask counting, which is often a bit boring.
[quote]On Feb 20, 2014, lcwright1964 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-12-15 11:44, Rogerbest wrote:
[/quote]

Do you not find the contrived "shuffle" a bit hackneyed and unmagical? [/quote]

I take this back. The reverse Faro does seem to baffle lay people, and is used to great effect here, in Fulves's Oracle, in Bannon's Beyond Fabulous, and Aronson's Euph-oracle and Alternate Take (from Try the Impossible).
Gemini Twins! It is the only self-worker that I perform constantly because of how strong it is.
I've had quite a bit of luck finding some of Fulve's work at my local library. I discovered 793.8 about 30 years ago and still enjoy looking through that section to this day.
"The Haunted Name" - from [i]Self-Working Card Tricks[/i] - is an effect I like to perform.
In self working mental magic:

"Remote viewing" is a killer trick. It is followed by ultate match and double stop and

"Teleportation" in the chapter Mind over matter is pretty great too.
I do "Calculated Cut" (from My Best Self-Working Card Tricks), but with some changes to make it look less like a counting trick.
[quote]On Jan 15, 2016, marc_carrion wrote:
I do "Calculated Cut" (from My Best Self-Working Card Tricks), but with some changes to make it look less like a counting trick. [/quote]

I like that trick too. Would you be open to a short PM discussion? I'd be interested in learning about the changes you made.
Does anyone know how to contact Karl Fulves? Any email addresses available?
Thanks in advance.
Mr. Fulves, as I, recently, (tried for a week, to no avail) found out, is a very private individual.

As a suggestion, try:
Mr. Karl Fulves
Private residence
Fair Lawn, New Jersey 07410
U.S.A.
(The mail-carrier knows where he lives!)

Good luck!
Sixten
His long-established address for magic correspondence:

Karl Fulves
P.O. Box 433
Teaneck, NJ 07666

Important: Enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope if you want him to write back.
A recent discussion I've been having in the thread on My Best Self-Working Card Tricks (the thread was started by Topov) made me dust off my copy and flip through it again. The only trick I consistently use from that book is Calculated Cut, but I was reminded of another I once used with great success: Psi-X. I'm practicing it now to make sure I can still do it with natural speed. I got a tremendous reaction from that one and can't believe I had forgotten it until looking at the book again.