(Close Window)
Topic: Magellan Master Levitation System
I just bought one of these . . . anybody have experience using it in a BD show?
I can't wait to hear the answers to this. I want one of these too!

KC- did you buy used or new?
KC where did you buy it from? Do you have a link?
Cheers
Reviews:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=364706&forum=7&post_flagged=6600963
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=329611&forum=7
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=273291&forum=112
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Sep 5, 2012 01:05AM)
OK, this is the coolest one-person illusion I know of, it’s also the coolest self-lev I know of. It’s made for the professional who takes pride in his show and is not looking for the easy way out.

I’ve not seen a photo or a video that does it justice, because those are two dimensional images, and you have to see it live in three dimensional perspective to appreciate how darn good it is.

That said… it is not something you can get from UPS on Friday and do well on Sunday! It takes care, thought, practice, creativity, and hard work to make this fly (pun intended!)

It is *easy* to do and *simple* to learn… just like a basic set of linking rings or cups and balls, but it is the ARTISTRY born from effort and painstaking details that make those “tricks” into “miracles” right?

It is very, very well designed (he did many overhauls until he felt it was perfect) and it is very, very well crafted and sturdy. Quality all the way.

It has fewer angle problems than say, a Super-X or Flying Carpet, however, in a BD party/living room area you’d have to watch your set-up, angles, and walk-away very carefully. Like any professional, scope out the space and your setting and see what will work, a lot of the time some venues just don’t work for this or that, and you have to have substitute effects just in case.

So the angles are good, but it can be angle sensitive, personally I like using it on a small stage/platoform with a little distance (you don’t want the kids underfoot you know.)

Music helps this a lot, the right music can really sell the floating illusion perfectally. AND it should only take about a minute to a minute and a half to perform…. up-hover-down. Too many magicians think the more they spend on a prop the longer it should take and fill their show to “get their money’s worth.” Less is more with this …really… believe me.

These handmade units were a LOT more expensive, then some butt-heads started ripping his design off. The knock-offs were incorrectly made and dangerous! To make everyone happy he met that lower price and now they are a fantastic deal.

Hope this helps!
Magically,
Walt
Walt,
What about the sound factor? Does it make noise say when you're getting out of the effect?

Jim
Awesome - Thank you DM :)
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Sep 5, 2012 09:45AM)
No, sound is not a factor, it's silent from start to finish.
Amy distance is for visual perspective not noise, still it's not a close-up piece.
Walt
Here is a link; http://www.magellanlevitation.com/

I bought a used one that is the new design, still in the box. While looking for them I found another used one, an older model for $500 if anyone is interested, I can let them know who has it.
Walt, how close can kids, sitting on the floor be to this? it looks like 5 feet - but I only have the instruction video now.
So jealous KC!
Mike, Yes, I got a good deal. Generally when a good deal comes up I don't have the cash available. I scrapped it up so I could get it before you had a chance!
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Sep 5, 2012 05:45PM)
KC, as I said I generally try to do it on a stage or platform, even the quite small ones like in a gym, neighborhood center, meeting room, or school hall.

There are angles that must be respected and the very small connection area. I would only perform it in a large recreation room or living room/dining room area. Personally I'd allow a good 8 to 10 feet before the first row, and I'd encourage everyone to be sitting rather than adults standing and kids on the floor.

Please consider that this is a full on Illusion. It's one of the more flexible I know of, but it still needs the proper space. You'll need to plan ahead if you're going to do the (recommended) walk-on and walk-off. I'd practice with a video camera at different angles, heights, and distances to get a ballpark idea of what your show and frequent venues are.

Magically, Walt

PS Anyone who buys a used one, make absolutely certain (check in with Jimmy even, that it is the most current version.)
I use this sometimes in my Birthday Shows depending on the venue. An elevated stage or platform is more ideal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JCxq7Ctwzg
Don't forget: the audience needs to be able to see your feet for them to get the full impact. Though not absolutely essential, performing on at least a short platform (six inches or more) will help your visibility considerably for this effect.
[quote]
On 2012-09-05 20:03, Lou Hilario wrote:
I use this sometimes in my Birthday Shows depending on the venue. An elevated stage or platform is more ideal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JCxq7Ctwzg
[/quote]

Great job Lou!

However, the question remains could you get away with this in a small standard size living room with 10-15 kids sitting on the floor and parents standing up watching as they normally do??
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Sep 6, 2012 10:25AM)
Probably not. Video it and see what you can get away with, but that is awful;y close for any illusion, stick with your chair suspension under those conditions to be safe. My two-cents anyway, Walt
I read some of the other threads dealing with droping the cloth. Loved your thoughts, Walt!!

Wondered if it would make sense and add to the effect, especially if performing before kids, to drop the cloth and take out a small helium balloon? Something else to look at? Small kids might see their story books come alive, and adults the incongruity of a small balloon lifting you.

Just a thought. I don't have one (*pout*), so I may never know if it would work.

Ed
Lou!!

That is the best presentation I have seen of the levitation. Love the bobbing, it fits and covers the somewhat less than smooth acscent! You should send this to Jimmy.

ED
I have thought about using a balloon as well. Also farts *embarrassing* fits one of my characters.
I have also thought it work as a great marketing tool. Walk in a school, give the front desk my card, levitate and leave.

Don't worry Walt, I am going to practice this to death and have my wife watch the angles. Luckily I have a "6th Sense" on angles, and am really good at being aware of them. Geometry, its my thang! *G*
[quote]
On 2012-09-06 16:23, KC Cameron wrote:
I have also thought it work as a great marketing tool. Walk in a school, give the front desk my card, levitate and leave.

[/quote]

A change of the venue will get you more publicity

TRY:

I have also thought it work as a great marketing tool. Walk in a police station, give the front desk officer my card, levitate and leave.
Oh, I plan to walk int the local TV stations too. It should be in Monday!
Well, it came in today and I have been playing with it. My son put his head to the ground 3 feet away and could not see it. It looks fabulous. It is pretty stable if you get on it right, but it takes some practice getting up on it. You also want to position it right and use the cloth correctly to hide the gimmick. You won't want kids getting close enough to touch it, so while it worked at 3 feet, I would use a lot more distance to keep those prying hands away. I am a pretty big guy, and smaller people will find it easier.

This is a game-changer.
Soo.. You gonna do this on the average birthday party in a packed living room with screaming little kids and moms and dad standing around?

Love to hear your thoughts.
I'm going to TRY to do it at BD parties - if space allows. Perhaps in a doorway . . . My biggest worry is that I'll get swarmed.
[quote]
My biggest worry is that I'll get swarmed
[/quote]
Now's the time to put your rope on the ground and say: "I'm going to do something very dangerous. You have to stay back behind this line to be safe from the radioactivity. If anyone crosses this line, we have to take all of you outside and hose you down and you won't get any cake or ice cream!!"

Ed
[quote]
On 2012-09-11 10:22, Ed_Millis wrote:
[quote]
My biggest worry is that I'll get swarmed
[/quote]
Now's the time to put your rope on the ground and say: "I'm going to do something very dangerous. You have to stay back behind this line to be safe from the radioactivity. If anyone crosses this line, we have to take all of you outside and hose you down and you won't get any cake or ice cream!!"

Ed
[/quote]

Through the year I used rope, magicians tape and other things Ed but they end up playing and twittling with it or moving it around. It becomes a distraction. I even bought one of those spark rings to pretend I put on a force field they see it as a game.

If someone would make fake baby or dog poo and make it into a rope that might work!!

I am not joking either. this would be a great selling idea!
I doubt fake poo would work - it's marketed to kids! I use that blue painter's tape. It works pretty well.

When it comes to presentation, it has inspired me to work out to make it look smoother. For now, I have to deal with the fact it looks like I am stepping up on something. I am thinking of turning int a sucker trick where I bring our a stool so they think I am stepping up on that . . .then I reveal I am floating . . . any ideas?
Can you take a video? AND dang you for beating me out! When you are ready to sell pm me!!!! PS- I won't tell anyone..... :)
Could the balloon be used like a Zombie? Like you're pulling a helium balloon down onto the cloth to do tricks at your bidding, but it shows signs of "mischeviousness". Then it starts a tug-of-war with you, pulling you up higher and higher; at some point, you almost lose your grip and have to make a desperate grab - and that's when the cloth drops. And now *you* realize you're only held up by the balloon! So you coax the balloon back onto the cloth to slowly let you back down.

Ed
Ed, am going to try that idea . . .

I performed the levitation for the first time today. For those that have see video of others doing it, The trip up is not as smooth as it could be. Now it CAN be smooth, but it will take more practice. Mine is not smooth, I am 285, and it takes a lot to levitate me smoothly. I will get it down, just not yet.

Anyway, I needed to disguise the trip up. After watching some Pop Hayden videos ( I love his work) I decided I would teach them how to do a levitation.

I brought out a bright pink stool that was about the same height as the levitation. I told them that magicians use a stool to look like they are floating. A real one is painted flat black to blend in with ta flat black background, The magician step sup on the stool and uses his skills of distraction so people don't notice the stool.

I then said they often use a cloth to make it even more believable and brought the cloth and made shure the cloth covered the pink stool. I levitated (without using the stool) but said I was using the stool. I told them the cloth was used to hide the fact I was using the stool,. "There is one problem with this trick, and it is that sometimes an audience member wants to see your feet, and when this happens, I just drop the curtain" and I drop the curtain. I had a number of gasps and two people screamed.

Now that sounds like a OK response, but their is one thing I did not tell you. IT WAS AT AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY!! I don't know how many people here have done these shows, but you have to really work to get the response. A scream is unheard of, much less two!

I don't have everything worked out well yet, and it will take more practice as well as doing it in front of a live audience, but I think I am in love.
[quote]On Sep 13, 2012, KC Cameron wrote:
Ed, am going to try that idea . . .

I performed the levitation for the first time today. For those that have see video of others doing it, The trip up is not as smooth as it could be. Now it CAN be smooth, but it will take more practice. Mine is not smooth, I am 285, and it takes a lot to levitate me smoothly. I will get it down, just not yet.

Anyway, I needed to disguise the trip up. After watching some Pop Hayden videos ( I love his work) I decided I would teach them how to do a levitation.

I brought out a bright pink stool that was about the same height as the levitation. I told them that magicians use a stool to look like they are floating. A real one is painted flat black to blend in with ta flat black background, The magician step sup on the stool and uses his skills of distraction so people don't notice the stool.

I then said they often use a cloth to make it even more believable and brought the cloth and made shure the cloth covered the pink stool. I levitated (without using the stool) but said I was using the stool. I told them the cloth was used to hide the fact I was using the stool,. "There is one problem with this trick, and it is that sometimes an audience member wants to see your feet, and when this happens, I just drop the curtain" and I drop the curtain. I had a number of gasps and two people screamed.

Now that sounds like a OK response, but their is one thing I did not tell you. IT WAS AT AN ASSISTED LIVING FACILITY!! I don't know how many people here have done these shows, but you have to really work to get the response. A scream is unheard of, much less two!

I don't have everything worked out well yet, and it will take more practice as well as doing it in front of a live audience, but I think I am in love. [/quote]

YOu drop the curtain at the end? Sorry for digging this up as I just found out about this levitation. But if you dop it, how do you get down again? Isn't it needed to hide the downcoming
You don't drop it, you let one end of the curtain go (still holding the other end with one hand) and move it to the side. I believe there are videos of Jimmy performing this without edits from beginning to end. The MMLS is fantastic! Kids and adults LOVE it!

RNK
Yes, by dropping it, I ment dropping one end- as in Jimmy's video.