(Close Window)
Topic: Coloring Elastic Loops
I made clear elastic loops from Lycra. My problem is how to color them black. I tried a permanent marker but it makes the loops brittle. Is there a method of coloring them with a flat black shade? Can it be dyed or powdered? Thanks. :arg:
Hi Macaw!

Do they need to be colored? If so...

Try Krylon Flat Black spray paint from K-Mart...a little goes a long way...not sure if that'll make it brittle as well...

Gee...now that I think about it, Rit dye might work...again, the concern it also might alter the elasticity of it...hmmm. Gotta burn my brain on that one...

I'll try and find out more, if I can...

Doug
If you stretch the loop as you paint it. it should be ok when you release it
Now see?

I didn't even get to light the pilot light before Tom posted that brilliant idea!!!

Wow. Great stuff. Thanks Tom!

Doug
Anytime dougini, I may only be 15 but my magical knowledge is pretty good! :bwink:
Ya know...

There is a black, rubber-based spray-paint for tires (tyres in the U.K. ;) ), that might work for elastic thread.

Don't know if that's what will work, but just an idea...

Doug
Hmm, rubber and lycra? worth a try, or you could zebra stripe them with a sharpie?!? :bigsmile:
UPDATE:

Nope...tried it...gloppy mess.

Marks-A-Lot marker works, but the brittle thing...

Back to the drawing board! :(

Doug
Lol well done anyway dougini, and I'm sure from that gloppy mess we have all learnt something "never use rubber based spray paint when trying to paint lycra loops!!!"
Tom McCarron