(Close Window)
Topic: "His lips are moving!"
I noticed a few times I heard from a kid spectator "His lips are moving!" What is a good way to respond to the kids when that remark is made?
Just say this "can you see them moving when I do this?" And then blow them a raspberry. lol
I do not even acknowledge them. It's just like the kids that say: "I know how that tricks done."

Every puppet made looks crazy or silly. There are NO puppets made to look completely real, so of course someone is talking for them, unless one has an Axtell Magic2 puppet, so just ignore them.
Same as wizardpa, I'll ignore them. But to note that if we find this too often we may have to check on our lips techniques and/or our puppet manipulation. It does mean that our puppet is not alive enough to distract the kids from looking at our lips.

As a sidetrack, some kids did not say "your lips are moving", but would say, "his hand is in the puppet!".

What will be your respond? I'll say, "Yeah, of course. What do you think this is? A magic show?"

It will be nice to add a couple of adlibs from the pros for this situation.
Thanks Chris. I guess it is all about "control", the same way with magic.

Here in Metro Detroit ventriloquism is rare. There are a lot of children in the area who are having a bad life. So the children will like to bring their problems on to challenge a vent. I guess when I have the "control" put together with the 3 V's, (voice, vocal and visual) they will be entertained more with the comedy, not wanting to try and take over the act.

I am sure "timing" has a lot to do with "control" too. Sometimes when I add a new magic trick to my act, the flow of timing is not right. That interrupts the entertainment. Practice is the secret.
[quote]
On 2012-09-22 10:41, Joseph_Then wrote:
But to note that if we find this too often we may have to check on our lips techniques and/or our puppet manipulation. It does mean that our puppet is not alive enough to distract the kids from looking at our lips.
[/quote]
Thanks Joseph. Great tip.
Eamon O'Connor was a great Irish comedian and showman, but a mediocre vent. He used to start with a great gag. "Last night my lip control was so good that people thought I was using a sound track. So today, to prevent that happening, I will let you see my lips move."

Problem solved - but then Eamon was a very funny guy.