(Close Window)
Topic: When you are asked to do a trick
This happens to everyone, someone knows you are into magic (business or hobby) they ask you show me something (card magic) what is it you show them, at least what is it you show them first?

Reminds me of a joke, how do you get a magician to show you 100 card tricks? Ask him to show you one.
I always have a deck of cards with some kind of packet trick or gaffed card stashed in the cellofane (however its spelled) of the card deck and I have 1 or two coin sets on me. So, depending on how well they know me - I try to do something I havent shown them before, or,I do something for the others that are around since some friends use me like their little trick monkey. Also, my deck is always preset for Chicago Opener right out of the box (or I leave the extra card in the box if I decide on another)
I do a very simple trick

pick a card any card (if table do a ribbon and let em pick)

control to top by whatever method I'm in the mood (if table my fav method is flip flop flop by paul Harris)

proceed to do the fastest card trick in the west move (flap on top card)

I try to place box in pocket and remove box from pocket leaving the card in pocket, patter "ok lets get the box of cards out of the way so you know I have no way of looking or peeking or doing any funny business" place it in pocket, grabbing on to that card allowing box to fall in on its own (works best when wearing pants that give some way like sports pants or not to fitted suit pants) then quickly within a second pull box out leaving card in the pocket and say, "you know what, why don't you hold on to the box".

To finish you have many options

a) simply produce the card (not to powerful as its coming from same pocket you had the box)
b) produce from same pocket but placing it in small wallet gaff (so so not recommended)
c) palm and produce from another pocket (bit better)
d) palm and produce from wallet that has sealed env.

Most people remove the card and show it, that's cool but the way I think is better is to have some time misdirection (Harry Lorayne talks about this allot) and when adding different location it really throws them off.

The beauty is the whole trick takes under 2 minutes, and doesn't require much.

PS when hadning back the box to them, I like to say "ok I think I know your card, seven of spades" obviously they say no, I act as if I messed up, this gets them to relax a bit, making it easier to do what I need to do (tommy wonder talks allot about this on his DVD's).
I try to fit on-the-spot tricks to the time restraint and the audience's personality. 3 minutes tops? Very serious types? 10 minutes? All magicians? Etc. Carry a set up memory deck and off I go. Also have a small coin purse with four Walkers and an English Penny to do a handful of Coin Tricks, if the interest is there.
I usually refuse.I think theres nothing worse than going every where "armed to the hilt"
But then again,im grumpy and bitter :lol:
One option (I see that Adam1975 beat me to it) is to decline.

John Bannon, as a well-known example, espouses this approach. (Yes, there's more to it than that, but that's still his default response.)
The Sloppy Triumph. Quick, easy, looks skillful and I've always managed a good response.

Or the obvious ACR.
[quote]
On 2012-09-24 07:22, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I always have a deck of cards with some kind of packet trick or gaffed card stashed in the cellofane (however its spelled) of the card deck and I have 1 or two coin sets on me. So, depending on how well they know me - I try to do something I havent shown them before, or,I do something for the others that are around since some friends use me like their little trick monkey. Also, my deck is always preset for Chicago Opener right out of the box (or I leave the extra card in the box if I decide on another)
[/quote]

I also always carry a deck with an oddbacker (ready for Chicago Opener). On the spot, you can use the oddbacker for any number of other effects (eg a David Regal effect called 'for Marlo'). But as to the original question, I like to keep that 'on the spot' effect simple like 'Doc Daleys Last Trick' or "Twisting the Aces' where not much time is needed. Lynn
These days, I always carry the following items in my briefcase:

Four Walking Liberty Half Dollars
One 1943 Australian Penny
A Deck of Cards
The necessary gaffus for my handling of the Haunted Pack
A Sherpa Pen (it's a Sharpie wearing a disguise)
A Birthday Book (it's slightly smaller than a deck of cards)
A Spool of Thread, set for the Gypsy Thread
A short piece of chopstick (for resetting the Gypsy Thread)

So, what do I do?

1. Sometimes, if I feel that the situation isn't right, I don't do anything at all.

2. If someone insists on seeing something, then I'll consider performing something. What I'll do depends on the type of person and what I think will play strongly for them. If someone is more interested in fortune telling, I'll do my fortune telling routine with the Birthday Book. If they just want to see something that's visual and quick, I'll do either the Gypsy Thread (if there's no time to do minimal preparation) or the Haunted Pack (if I do have time to prepare.) If they want to see a more complete routine, I'll do some portion of my coin routine. If they REALLY want to see some card magic, I'll do an abbreviated Ambitious Card routine, with Harry Lorayne's nice ending. In any event, I don't do more than five or six minutes of magic.

3. I don't do a complete show unless it's necessary. (In the past thirty years, I've only had a few occasions where I needed to do a full show. In one case, I was traveling on business, and eating at a nice restaurant. The magician who was supposed to entertain a private party called in sick, at the very last minute. Since I was prepared, I decided to do my show, just for the heck of it.) In general, if they want a complete show, they can pay me, just like everyone else!
Lately, I've been doing an OOTW variation called The Color of Thought.

Cliff
I have a deck in a Porper clip on me at all times. When someone in a casual atmosphere askes me to show them a trick, I usually do a version of Triumph, usually Last Man Standing.
I do either the Time Machine effect that Steve Freeman does, or Uni-Flection by Larry Jennings.
With a regular deck I also do Steve Freeman's "Time Machine". I usually carry a small wallet that has several sets of cards so I can do Jim Swain's "Psychic Poker" or a version of Don Tanner's "Classic Prediction". I also have a small envelope with four aces in it so I can do "Twisting the Aces" with Darwin Ortiz's suggested ending. Normally I also have two English pennies and a half dollar with me. I can perform several copper silver transpositions and use a little sleeving.
Something impromptu, with available, borrowed objects.

If someone else had a pack of cards? Great. Not very common TBH.
If someone ask me for a trick I p*lm a coin, made it appear in my right hand. They are surprised!

F***e transfer to the left hand, p*lm it in the right and it vanished. Voilą!
I usually carry a pack of cards because magic is my business. If someone asks to see something, I usually do Roy Walton's Back into Time because it's a weird effect and no cards are chosen. If people want to see more, then I just jazz it I guess. Spare change is not a problem here in the EU since the lowest paper denomination is 5 Euro so coin magic is always easily done with borrowed money.
When I leave my house, I almost always carry:

a deck of cards with the 4 aces on top
several rubber bands around my wrist
Extreme Burn gimmick
a small wallet to hold 4 cards for Richard Sander's 'Stickmen'

Then I do whatever seems right at the time. That could be crazy man's handcuffs, Extreme Burn, Stickmen, or something that uses the deck (e.g., Triumph, DDLT, twisting aces, or ACR). I rarely do more than 5 minutes.

Spike
I LOVE Vlad's version of Roy Walton's Back into Time. I have also gotten a lot of mileage out of that. Thanks again Vlad!

Mike Roger's Remembering or Forgetting is also easy and leaves people with the look... 'what just happened?'
I carry 4 regular aces in my wallet. When asked to perform one trick, I ALWAYS do Ambitious Rendezvous from
[url=http://www.barnowskymagic.com]The Book of Destiny[/url]

Larry :readingbook:
I will often perform Eqivoque using whatever objects are available; salt shaker, pepper shaker, ketchup bottle, etc.

Ray
I like stand up monte. you just need a few cards and you can perform a good few minutes of magic. no table needed
I perform the bird trick... show hand empty, reach into pocket and show bird!! just kidding usually, for cards, its any quick visual opener effect or production...
Pocket full of 260 balloons and Invisible Deck in my shirt pocket :)
Triumph... Best card trick in the world :)

J-M
I like Chicago Opener, Triumph, or the Twisted Sisters packet trick...
Head-Over-Heels Transpo by Aronson. Quick, clean, impromptu, and very magical.
"Triumph... Best card trick in the world

J-M"

In YOUR opinion....there's no such thing as "best, or even better...only if it fits YOUR STYLE...no such thing as a bad trick....Yet for some reason, Triumph does turn up in successful performances a lot more than the 21 card trick, or the one where you conspicuously look at the cut-to key card. Maybe it is good.
Ambitious card
Brainwave .. quick & baffling ...
I would do sloppy triumph, or anything easily accomplished with a deck... I'm surprised that even choose a card procuce it gets great reactions
Or a packet trick, I have 3 card wallets with colour monte, royal scam, three card monte, and some others
[quote]
On 2012-09-29 09:35, magicfish wrote:
Head-Over-Heels Transpo by Aronson. Quick, clean, impromptu, and very magical.
[/quote]

Thanks for sending me back to 'Try the Impossible' to take another look at the 'Head over Heels' move. It's very good and very flexible, and I didn't pay it ehough attention on my first read through the book.
I always carry a regular deck of cards and an odd backer with me. I use the odd backer to perform Chicago Opener. With the regular deck of cards I do:

Quick and Direct
Jazz Aces
Flipped
Twisting the Aces
Dr. Daley's Last Trick
Hitman
Devil's Elevator
20 Card Trick
Shufling Lesson
Impossible Location
Master Poker Deal
It really depends on the pace of things.

If quick.

Force a card multiple times for joking purposes calling out, "If you picked this card then -improvise-, have them pick a different one, mix, attempt to find their card, get the wrong one. Place in their hand, hot shot cut to attempt another try, it's the one that was in their hand, in their hand is now their card.

Yep you get what I mean. It's a quick and nice opener to wet the appetite.

Quick Coincidence followed by Christ's Fabulous 4 Ace trick followed by a Hofinzer ace trick

Shuffling Lesson

Dr. Daley's I slow it down and play with it. "What do you think about when you see hearts, " " ...diamonds" and it turns into an ink blot test when they switch em' over. I've been having fun with this presentation.

Back in Time -Joshua Jay's Handling

2 Card Monte

Invisibull from J.K.'s Card Dodgery/Naked Travelers(Stranger's?) P.H./Biddle Trick

Mr. E Takes a Stroll - One Degree - John Guastaferro

51 cards to the pocket.

Those are the tricks off the top of my head I do when people ask me to do a trick.
Stand up Monte - Garret Thomas

Ice Breaker - Lee Smith (with some modifications)

Mr. E Takes a Stroll - John Guastaferro
Reminded myself of lazy mans trick think by al koran small quick setup always gets a very interesting response
I politely decline, and direct them to wherever I'll be locally that week to come see a show. If they're super enthusiastic, I *might* do a quick version of the Ring Thing. I always wear a ring on my first finger. During close up I use it for ring and rope routines, but it's the proper size and weight for doing the Ring Thing as well, and a very natural way to do an "impromptu" trick without pulling out cards or looking like you were prepared.
I go right in to acr or my version of triumph (which is my take of back in time by Jay Sankey and Joshua Jay)
Ambitious card routine
I always wear a ring so I can perform Garrett Thomas's Ring Thing (I usually try to borrow the ring though). This trick always gets great reactions and will almost always ellicit the 'do that again' response.

Pressure by Daniel Garcia

Proof Positive by David Parr

These are all quick effects with objects that don't scream magic right off the bat. I use these tricks to draw people in and if they seem intrigued I can go into something with cards. One of my favorites is Stand Up Monte by Garrett Thomas as well.
When I get the question: "What's your favourite activity to spend free time", I answer (doh): "doing magic etc."

When they ask to do something, my reaction depends of the mood where I am in...
If I wanna show something, mostly I'll do the CMH & Linking rubberbands. Simple objects with a HUGE reaction...

But mostly I refuse and say: "when my answer was 'fishing', then you would probably not ask to show you how I catch a fish..." :D
I only do magic on request when I am in the mood... ;-)
I agree that one shouldn't feel obliged to do magic on request. But I also feel (just my opinion) that that doesn't mean I need to say something that is going to make me appear rude or sarcastic to the other person. "Maybe another time" is really all you need to say...
The only items I will have with me 100% of the time are my espionage wallet, a TT loaded for the hundred dollar bill switch, an empty TT and my QB2 and a sharpie. The wallet is loaded with blank business cards, a bug writer, First Hand, Heirloom and Guess who. That gives me a lot of flexibility when I'm asked to do a trick.

If I go somewhere expecting to be asked to do tricks I may also have a deck of cards, extractor and shoet (unless I'm wearing trainers). I usually have a couple of red and blue twilight angels gaffs in my wallet and a DB of each colour. Go to effects are coin bend, $100 bill switch and if I have cards C2W or Twilight Angels. Depends if I'm going to do a single trick or whether I want to perform for beer :)
One of the following
Pressure by Daniel Garcia
Magicians Choice (pick one of five)
Slop shuffle Triumph
Invisible Deck (I do this less and less, trying to move away from packet tricks)
Erdnase color change

And if I have some time;
Out of this world

And if I am feeling confident and have had the time to warm up
ACR (Oz Pearlmans handling)
[quote]
On 2012-09-24 17:08, S2000magician wrote:

John Bannon, as a well-known example, espouses this approach. (Yes, there's more to it than that, but that's still his default response.)
[/quote]

I read that in Dear Mr. Fantasy, however I have a problem with that. Mr. Bannon has a day job. Everytime Im asked to see something its an audition, so I show them a very strong and quick effect. Often its an ace production from a shuffled deck and doctor jacob dailys last trick.

Billy
[quote]On 2013-01-16 17:11, Billy-one wrote:
[quote]On 2012-09-24 17:08, S2000magician wrote:

John Bannon, as a well-known example, espouses this approach. (Yes, there's more to it than that, but that's still his default response.)[/quote]
I read that in Dear Mr. Fantasy, however I have a problem with that. Mr. Bannon has a day job. Everytime Im asked to see something its an audition, so I show them a very strong and quick effect. Often its an ace production from a shuffled deck and doctor jacob dailys last trick.[/quote]
I took the original post:
[quote]On 2012-09-24 06:25, MuscleMagic wrote:
This happens to everyone, someone knows you are into magic (business or hobby) they ask you show me something (card magic) what is it you show them, at least what is it you show them first?

Reminds me of a joke, how do you get a magician to show you 100 card tricks? Ask him to show you one.[/quote]
to mean that someone asks you in a setting that isn't an audition.

I feel certain that everyone here is savvy enough to know that if you're at an audition, declining is probably not the wisest course of action; thus, it makes sense to answer the question as if you're not at an audition.
My point is that you are always at an audition, never knowing who may see, hear, or book you.

Billy
[quote]On 2013-01-16 17:27, Billy-one wrote:
My point is that you are always at an audition . . . .[/quote]
I humbly disagree.
All my decks are pre-set mem decks. When I go out the door I'm ready.
Crazy man handcuff, xfinger, acidus novus and if I do have a deck of cards, it usually contains a duplicate card and I will do Here N There. Quick simple and direct (:
I like starting with a chosen card inserted, doing a pass, then doing a DL and giving them their card. The end is various. After some tricks I continue with acr oftentimes to '' explain'' how I do this stuff.
In my wallet I have two things. If someone says, "Hey, Doug, show us some magic!", well, I set the scene first. I tell them a friend had something crash on his property, and all he found were metal bits that look like black-anodized aluminum. He showed me the box, and I asked if I could have one. I then bring out The Amazing Jumping Arrow.

Then, I tell the story of the U.S. Navy and the U.S.S. Eldridge in 1943, and The Philadelphia Experiment. I then bring out Lubor's Lens and demonstrate.

Doug
Ya know...I'm gonna start carrying my 3-Ring Circus set. I had forgotten how strong an impact that makes. It's The Linking Rings done with those rings you have your keys hooked on to.
I'm just getting bak into it after a 30 year break. I usually carry a few rubber bands, a ring and a few coins as I expand my current abilities.

May get more complex as I get better.
When I'm in the mood of doing some magic, and they ask me...
I'll take 2 rubberbands of my wrist and show them CMH-routine while talking about "The King of Escapes: Houdini".... I tell them he inspired a lot of magicians, and say: "I will show you the BIG secret!"
(While doing CMH I usually say: by rubbing them, they getting hot, melting, etc...) Then I'll set up to "explain" the CMH, but instead of the escape-effect.....1 rubberband is melting away...completely disappeared!!! I'll say: "you see, escaping is not THAT hard" and I'll take a deck of cards and do "Houdini's Card Trick" (where you wrap the cards and the chosen one -in my case signed- jumps out of the wrapped deck) while telling further about Harry Houdini and how he inspired me....
Usually I close this set with an ACR ending with Card in Wallet or Shoe...
I always have Powerball 60 in my wallet for just those occasions when I am asked to do an effect at a moments notice. I often will do Coins Across if I have a Sh..l on hand.
Nate Leipzig said, "I am not an organ-grinder's monkey" and never performed an effect "on demand." However, he would later look for an opportunity to perform for that person at a moment of his choosing. The difference between "wanna see a trick" and "magic is what I do" is vast. If you announce that you play the zither no one expects you to whip one out and play a tune. Sure, you can always "do a trick." Performing magic is something else.
I use a shuffle, a cut and a c**ss c*t f*rce followed up with 7 by Bryn Reynolds.
[quote]On Jan 16, 2013, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]On 2013-01-16 17:27, Billy-one wrote:
My point is that you are always at an audition . . . .[/quote]
I humbly disagree. [/quote]

I'd say it depends on the position that the individual magician is in. The truth is that you really don't know if the person asking or, if there's a group, someone watching might need to book or suggest a magician for an event or party. If the magician is in a position where they aren't actively seeking those gigs, then it's not really a potential audition for them & they have nothing to lose.

If you treat those requests as though they opened with a "I might need to a hire a magician...", rather than a potential audition (which will mean different things to different people, you don't really have much to lose.
[quote]On Apr 15, 2017, Forty Six & 2 wrote:
I use a shuffle, a cut and a c**ss c*t f*rce followed up with 7 by Bryn Reynolds. [/quote]

Nice.... SEVEN is a "pet" of mine....

Thanks,
Bryn
My go-to trick for such occasions is "Card Warp." I do two versions, and I have carried them around with me for thirty years. It is easy, quick, can be done with or without a table, and it leaves them with a mystery to take home. Card Warp is very strong if done well, and it leaves them thinking about you for days afterword. After thirty years, it is still a winner. Also, I carry some version of "Out to Lunch" printed on my business card. I vary the picture now and then. These two routines have always served me very well for on-the-spot magic, and both leave the spectator with a reminder of you to take home with them.
I carry a thumb tip and a silk and B-Wave
My go-to is Daryl's bullet trick. Amazing and simple effect with a deck!
One of my go to impromptu trick is called Tembus. Using 2 dollar bills folded twice make one pass through the other. This effect is so cool you will be doing this every chance you get. It is an instant download on Penguin Magic it is excellent don't pass up getting this one.

Tembus by Robert Bertrance presented by Matthew Johnson

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/6006

Richard
I have a wonderful "show me a trick" trick that I love so much that I want to tell you about it.

It is a coin transposition, a one-coin across, taught to me by Benjamin Earl, and it is quick, simple, and incredibly powerful. Powerful because it is so simple. ([i]Note that simple does not mean easy, it means an economy of speech, movement and psychology, which leaves nowhere to hide.[/i])

A coin is placed in the palm of the left hand. That hand is made into a fist with the coin inside, and the hand is then turned over. The right hand is placed completely outstretched, palm down, as far from the left hand as possible, and they never come near each other. I have the spectator(s) grab my wrists. Then, standing completely still and silent, I wait until I feel them wondering if anything is ever going to happen, and then Boom!, I simultaneously and quickly open my left hand (where the coin was) and close my right hand into a fist, reversing their positions. That's it. No other moves. This sudden movement almost always gets a reaction. I then show my (now outstretched) left hand empty, and then slowly turn over and open my right hand to reveal that the coin has instantly and with no moves whatsoever traveled to that hand.

The actual effect itself takes maybe half a second. Because it is so simple, with almost no patter and zero movement except for the apparent moment of transposition, it is incredibly strong. I've gotten gigs off that one trick. It's that strong. And I just love doing it. I hear that it's on one of Ben Earl's DVDs, but I'm not sure which one as I've never owned any. And I don't know what it's called, either. But you should learn it! Lol!

Edited to add: I'm told the DVD is "Real Coin Magic" and that it will be available at Vanishing, Inc., but that it is new and is not yet for sale as I write. It seems to be available as a download at DL Magic Store, here: http://www.dlmagicstore.com/magic/real-coin-magic-unreleased-at-blackpool-2017-by-benjamin-earl.html, but I cannot confirm that.
I usually start with chicago opener or some fast color changes to impress.

After I do ACR, 2-card monte or ACAAN.
I just perform Digital Force Bag because I always have it on me and it works in all situations.