(Close Window)
Topic: Most Enjoyable Read?
Okay, let's face it, the majority of magic books out there read like text booksóboring text books. Thankfully, there are exceptions.

I offer [i]The Art of Astonishment[/i] series as a wonderful example. Paul Harris could write about the toe jam between my middle toes and make it entertaining.

Another example of a great read would be [i]Strong Magic[/i] by Darwin Ortiz. Darwin is a funny guy too but it is the subject matter that makes this book such an enjoyable read.

What are some other books that are just plain fun to read?

P.S. The book can have good tricks included but that is just gravy and not required.
I enjoyed Bannon's [i]Smoke and Mirrors[/i] and Mentzer's [i]Fechter[/i]. [i]Fechter[/i] includes many gags that had me laughing, and Bannon has quite a sense of humor, which shows in some of his writing.

I'm sure [i]Sexy Magic[/i] wouldn't be too difficult to enjoy. :love:
I agree with roatc, both of Bannon's book were a really enjoyable read and I learnt some great effects from them.
The most enjoyable magic book I ever have read is Chris Kenner's [i]Out of Control/Totaly Out of Control[/i]. His writing style is amusing, the illustrations are hillarious, plus you also have those funny Name That Toon-thingys scattered all over the book. And, oh yeah, the tricks in the book are great.

I was laughing hard when I read this book the first time, and still do. :rotf:
[i]Pure Effect[/i]. Derren writes with wit and humor. His writing simulates the impression of running into this unusually literate wag who offers to share a drink with you at the neighborhood pub. Also, his caricatures mark him as an artist in more than one sense of the word.

Jack Shalom
Personally I like [i]Simply Harkey[/i]. His writing is so clear and it is obvious he put time and effort into putting out a quality product.

XX
There are two magic books that I can say I read through and through, without skipping even one word, in one day. They would be [i]Mentalism Inc.[/i] by Hickok and [i]Wise Guy[/i] by Caveney.

There are some that I am still reading in order to absorb the information like [i]Stunners Plus[/i] and Tarbell, but for the most part the books I have read have been the kind where you pick it up read a little and then put it down to go do something more important. Like fix you a bite to eat, wash the dog, detail your grandmother's car, etc.

Samuel
I would say that I liked to read [i]Strong Magic[/i] by Ortiz and [i]Close Up Illusion[/i] by Gary Ouellet.
Anything by Darwin Ortiz and I also enjoyed Jim Swains [i]20 Century Card Magic[/i] and Guy Hollingworth's book.
I always enjoy reading almost anything by Eugene Burger. Of particular interest is the book he wrote with Robert Neale, [i]Magic and Meaning[/i]. Very intelligent and readable.

Mark
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Oct 28, 2003 10:08AM)
[i]Art of Astonishment[/i], [i]Close up and Personal[/i], [i]Smoke and Mirrors[/i]
I just read Banacheck's [i]Pre Thoughts[/i] book. Although this is a small pamphlet-style and not really a book, I enjoyed his writing style.

I will be buying more reading material from him in the future.

Too bad some of the best "material" books are so darn boring!
I've always enjoyed reading stuff by J.G. Thompson.

-Jim
I agree with landmark, [i]Pure Effect[/i]. I'd also add in [i]Absolute Magic[/i] by Derron Brown. It's a beautifully written book, impossible to put down for both its content and flow and most importantly, it'll make you think about performance in a new and (from my point of view) more enlightened way.
[i]Mastering The Art Of Magic[/i] was fun to read for me because it has such great information and is so well written. Burger has a very warm style that any reader will like.

[i]Out Of Control[/i] gets my honorable mention vote.
David Regal's self-depricating sense of humor is something I find refreshing.

Guy Hollingworth is just a wonderful writer. Darwin Ortiz is quite adept at the crafted word as well. I happen to think he explains tricks about as well as can be done.
Jamy Ian Swiss' [i]Shattering Illusions[/i] is a well-written page turner.
Books Of Wonder - by Tommy Wonder
Any regal, bannon, Harris, or aronson book is a fabulous read
I wish I had more to add but Harris, Regal, Aronson, and Brown are among the most colorful and entertaining writers in magic literature. Paul Harris especially is a wonderful comic writer and would be a pleasure to read on non-magic related subjects as well.
I found the Art Of Astonishment really easy to read...and Smoke and Mirrors by John Bannon is the same
I also would like to add David Harkey's Simply Harkey. It's the book I go back to just to read, even if I'm not going to perform the effects. Really original thinking.
Doc Dixon's 'Everything is Funnier with Monkey's'. Smart writing and funny as hel.

(did I get around the censors?)
All of the above are excellent. To name something different I'll throw in Burger's Experience of Magic. :stircoffee:
My two favorite books in (and on) magic:

Arthur Brandon's [i]Milo & Roger: A Magical Life[/i] (Hermetic Press, 1999) and David Bamberg's [i]Illusion Show[/i] (Meyerbooks, 1991).

Both are autobiographies that give a glimpse into two eras of magic, personal growth, and triumph from adversity... Plus both are great reads!

The Brandon book has perhaps my favorite quote on magic in a conversation between Brandon and his father:

"How did it work? . . . My father put it very succinctly, one time, after he had learned how I kept pouring so much water out of Don Hole's little Oriental lota bowl. 'Arthur, I see that magic is really just a lot of ********.' 'Yes, Pop, you've got it. It is,' I rejoined. 'But you've got to know just how to shovel it.'"

Buy the books, learn the lessons, immerse yourself.

ajp
Memoirs of Robert-Houdin: KING OF THE CONJURERS is fun reading.
Lot of in-depth stories.
Robert-Houdin was a great French magician.
He was a inventor of many tricks and one of the founders of modern magic. He inspired many magicians included Houdini.
I will try to write a review for this book, check my web out.

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.mastermagic.info
The new Jim Steinmeyer book, [i]Hiding The Elephant[/i] is a great read. I enjoyed his [i]Art & Artifice[/i] and this is equally delightful.

Another fun read is the David Bamberg autobiography, [i]Illusion Show[/i].

And, having just gone back through the [i]Workers[/i] series by Michael Close, I'd have to add those to any list of fun reads. Great material, thought-provoking essays, and a delight to read to boot.

Jeremy
Paul Harris (for the umpteempth time)
Derren Brown- very engaging, dry English wit at work
Richard Osterland's "Making Magic Real"

Great read.

Mark
Bob Cassidy is usually an enjoyable read.

Ted Lesley's Paramiracles was good too.

Capricornian Tales was very interesting.

Anabelle's Seven Past Midnight was a pleasure.

:comply:
David Acer's Natural Selections II
I have not got volume 1 so I can't comment on that, but if it is anything like the second book it is bound to be brilliant.
My favourite thing about NS2 is not only the brilliant tricks and routines, but the funny performing stories included.
I am currently reading Small but Deadly by Paul Hallas, a very informative book about packet tricks.
It is turning out to be one of the books you start reading and cannot put it down.If you are into packet effects git it...
Rennie
I love just about any Eugene Burger book. Very enjoyable reads and lots of thought provoking material--much of it on presentation.

However, my all time favorite "read" was (and is) The Jinx. I really love the old style writing and the layouts. You are reading a piece of history as you read each of the three volumes (and the 50 issues of the magazine that are in each volume). Lots of news, gossip, but, above all, lots of good magic by the greats of those long-ago days. Sigh. As a bonus, lots of the magic is so old it is new. Hint-hint.

Mike
The book on Harry Anderson whos title escapes me is a great read and has some great effects
Art of...,Smoke and Mirrors,Books of Wonder and Mind,Myth and Magick.
Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
I'll second those who have mentioned Simply Harkey and the AOA series. I also like Jon Racherbaumer's writing in the Card Finesse series. He always adds some interesting notes about the things he's writing about. For humor, I love Steve Beam's writing in The Trapdoor and his books.

Jason
[quote]
On 2003-11-19 01:34, DrDale wrote:
The book on Harry Anderson whos title escapes me is a great read and has some great effects
[/quote]

"Wiseguy" by Mike Caveney?
AOA...Aronson , and Rene Lavand.....
Carolinahusker:

Two of my most enjoyable magic books reads right now are Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey and Strong Magic by Darwin.

Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey is a great performance book. It has many interesting thoughts but the ideas are scattered. Beyond Secrets is still a GREAT book regardless! Many people buy books and do not study them in detail. You get out of a book what you put into reading it. Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey is a thin book but it is packed with great ideas and the book is a great purchase, donít let anyone tell you any different.

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz is another great book about magic performance. Buy Strong Magic if you can because it WILL help you improve your magic performance. Strong Magic is the best performance magic book that I have right now.

These are my two favorite books for now. I've learned much from these two books.

Gerard
Theater of the Mind gets my vote hands down.
Scott B:

Iíve heard a lot of great things about Theater of the Mind by Barrie Richardson.

I donít have Theater of the Mind yet but Iíve ordered it along with Paramiracles by Ted Lesley. Paramiracles is supposed to be another great magic book. Theaters of the Mind and Paramiracles have not arrived yet but I believe that they will also be great reads.

Until they arrive my two favorite books to read are still; Beyond Secrets by Jay Sankey and Strong Magic by Darwin that I mentioned in my above post.

Gerard
Malini and his magic. The most enjoyable book I've read.
AoA definitely. There is a lot of humor throughout the book, and those funny stories that he puts. Check out Yogurt through Table for a humorous magic idea.
[quote]
On 2003-11-03 01:07, Ron Giesecke wrote:
Guy Hollingworth is just a wonderful writer....
[/quote]

Hollingsworth is also a fine artist, a sophisticated well-spoken gentleman, and a thinker. These are not qualities that I find in abundance in people under 30 in the 21st century.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
Richard's Almanac
As "slightly" mentioned earlier:

The bio "Milo and Roger" is probably the best biography I've read in many years. Not just magic bio's, but ANY biography.
I strongly recommend that this wonderful story be read by all. As the old movie trailers tout, "You'll laugh, you'll cry"....you will!

Wow, what a story.
Ted (Leondo)
Life and Times of Ted Annemann, Jinx, Hugard's Magic Monthly
Chris Kenner's Out of Control
I'll add "The Mind and Magic of David Berglas" !!!! It's truly a fabulous read. I'll ditto the Derren Brown books...very fun and provocative.
I agree, Out of Contol and the Derren Brown books were very entertaining to read. I also enjoyed Mind, Myth ,and Magick. I laughed for an hour after I read the seance section on having a special "glow in the dark" latex suit made to fit a small monkey.

K
'Seventh Heaven' by Lewis Jones. Recently acquired. A great read by one of the best brains in magic. I can thoroughly recommend this. There is some great stuff in here.
Ditto RichHead!!!! In my opinion it is one of the best kept secrets of card magic. He truly is ingenious. Thanks Lewis...if you're out there.
I'll put in another vote for "The Mind and Magic of David Berglas".
I assumed the original post was looking at books on tricks as opposed to those on theory. Books on theory do, I believe, tend to flow more. So, I must add my current favorite; The Magic of Ascanio. But in the spirit of the original post, I am now working through Harry Lorraines "new" Classic Collection and am having a great time. I am normally much more of a coin guy, but am picking up tons of great stuff from this book.
Joe
I really enjoy spending time with Pallbearer's Review. I love going through it or skipping around to different versions of an effect I'm studying. I also enjoy reading the "Babel" column and the magic gossip of that time.
David Acer's Random Acts of Magic
This may be obvious, but any of the collected magazines are always enjoyable to read. They're like opening a time capsule. My two favorites are The Jinx and Richard's Almanac.
[quote]
On 2005-05-14 16:42, scott b. wrote:
Theater of the Mind gets my vote hands down.
[/quote]

Scott,

Yeh! I had forgotten about that book and the Paul Curry book "Worlds Beyond". I found both to be vey enjoyable to read and chock full of great information. I wish that all magic books were as well written and laid out.

Mike
ANYTHING by Richard Osterlind. He's a great writer and an inspiration for all of us!
Peter Duffie & Jerry Sadowitz CardZones
Maximum Entertainment gets my vote. Definitely a must read for those looking to better their performance.
Just finished reading Billion Dollar Bunco. Technically it is not a magic book but a real fun read. Most important, it will give you the background for patter that can't be beat. Now here is what we are going to do. Send me one dollar for the lastest scam and add your name to the bottom .....................................................................................................................
Well it's all been said before: Bannon's Impossibilia and Smoke and Mirrors.
Art of Astonishment.
Mind Myth and Magic.
Magic of Alex Elmsley.
Both books of Derren Brown's
Corinda's 13 steps
Totally Out of Control
Richard's Almanac
Pallbearer's review
John Carney's books
Five points in Magic
Anneman (Abrams)
5x5 Japan
Paramiracles
anything by Doc Shiels
more that I'm forgetting....
I would like to add Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles to the list. I especially enjoyed the case studies he includes.
The Greater Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields and Fechter.
Harry Lorayne's "Reputation Makers." Simon Lovell's "Simon Says."
Any book with good tricks in it. Right now, it's Card College Light. I also like reading Karl Fulves books.
Almost finished reading Frances Ireland Marshall's 1946 autobiography "You Don't Have To Be Crazy (But it Helps)". Boy, this book should be required reading for the modern magician... Drawing on her already varied career in magic at the time of writing amidst the changing world of WWII, Frances, who continued to contribute to the world of magic through the 21st Century, shares fantastic stories and perfectly describes magic and magicians in a way that could have been written yesterday. There are a few sentences here and there that belie the fact that the book is in fact 60 years old but this is a timeless book about our art that deserves to be reprinted and read by anyone who claims the title of magician.
I love Steve Beam's books. Great sense of humor.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Sep 16, 2007 08:00AM)
Session-The Magic Of Joel Givens by Joshua Jay is a great book to curl up with. It's written in the form of a novel to make a very enjoyable read.
One book I really enjoyed reading through was Mitox by Phill Smiff, great book!
Dear Mr Fantasy by John Bannon
I find a lot of 'bizarre magic' books enjoyable to read because of the stories contained....Hauntiques by Christian Chelman and Vu Du Magick by Baba Gede Nibo are two of my favourites

Derren Browns books are a good read too....

A.
Cheers Y2John, I put a lot of time into the writing *around* the tricks in Mitox: I was inspired by the brilliant writing in Paul Harris' Art of Astonishment series.

Really early in the first book of his I read he sends up the whole structure of the technical writing of magic. He launches into the 'method' description of one of the effects, which uses an everyday object, and just describes the way the item is supposed to be used in normal life instead of the handling for the effect. (sorry for the vague description but I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone who hasn't read it yet.) It tickled me at least.

The best magic books I think are ones, like the AoA books, which cut through the formality of the format and give you the impression of a personal chinwag with the writer, conveying their personality and excitement as well as the clarity of instruction.

Phill
'Collected Almanac' for me - or 'Enchantment'
"Shattering Illusions" by Jamy Ian Swiss. I cannot believe it has not been mentioned yet. Mastering the Art of Magic, and many more. I am sure Secret Ways of Al Baker will be as well whenever I finish it.
I'd like to add The Vernon Chronicles Volume 4 to the list. I enjoyed reading about his opinions on some of the greats; Houdini, Leipzig, Malini, etc. There were also several interesting anecdotes and of course great insights on how to create great magical effects.

Jake
For me, any books from Lorayne or Fulves is an enjoyable read.
Another vote here for Session - the magic of Joel Givens by Josh Jay. Written in a great, engaging style that aims to make you feel as though you're sat there at a convention with Joel, getting fooled then enlightened.
Good Lord, according to all these readers I've wasted all these years!!!
I honestly can't decide whether this is a relentless marketing regimen, or whether it's just unbearable insecurity.
Latter
I love this (twelve year old..!) topic and am glad it was bumped.

Barrie Richardson's Trilogy are books I would keep forever even if I quit the magical arts. They are not only full of brilliant material, they feel like old friends due to Barrie's sweet and genuine writing style, essays, and presentations.

The Books of Wonder are like a conversation with the master and are never a dull read for a second.

Everything by Bob Cassidy is a goldmine, not only of material, but of wit, insight, and humor.

Richard Osterlind's Trilogy and The Art of Mentalism - beautiful, readable, engaging, powerful.

Finally, The Mental Mysteries of Hector Chadwick. I wouldn't sell my copy for any price. The mentalism is as good as it gets. The writing is possibly even better.
Simon Aronson' "Art Decko" is his best book. It is full of gems. A must have book! Bravo.
Any Ortiz and Bannon book is enjoyable for me. Truly my two favorite magic authors at this moment, and sooo much useable stuff in it!
My current favorites that I am reading are below, and ( a tip for those of you that have busy lives) I always read over a slow breakfast for about 1 hour.

At the Card Table - Ortiz
Psychological Subtleties 1,2 and 3 - Banachek GREAT BOOKS
I second MM of Hector Chadwick. I also really enjoyed Ken Dyne's Bairn. There were several times that his random style of humor made me literally laugh out loud.
If laughing out loud is the key to better health, after reading I Lie for Money by Steve Spill, you will never die.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2015, KevinKM99 wrote:
Latter [/quote]
:pop:
[quote]On Mar 16, 2015, rickreation wrote:
Everything by Bob Cassidy is a goldmine, not only of material, but of wit, insight, and humor.[/quote]

No question. Everything I have by him is GOLD!

Doug
[quote]On Jul 18, 2015, msmaster wrote:
If laughing out loud is the key to better health, after reading I Lie for Money by Steve Spill, you will never die. [/quote]
That is one fun, entertaining read!
Bound Volumes of Apocalypse. Great material throughout all of them and pure gold from Harry Lorayne in his afterthoughts, anecdotes, tips, history, personal accounts, etc. Simply marvellous.
Close up Card Magic is also a great read and the photographs are some of my alltime favourites.
I also thorough enjoyed all of the Barrie Richardson books. Ive read them all cover to cover many times.
Jamy Ian Swiss' snall green book is also a great read.
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jul 19, 2015 11:33AM)
I'm really enjoying Strong Magic right now
[quote]On Feb 20, 2015, Tim Cavendish wrote:
I honestly can't decide whether this is a relentless marketing regimen, or whether it's just unbearable insecurity. [/quote]

It's "unbearable insecurity" which, in turn, drives me headlong into "relentless marketing regimen." Just wanted to help since we all see that it's so terribly important for you to "honestly decide." Hope I've been of help - hate to see you laboring under all that important/terrible decision making. But I'm sure KM99 will also help.
[quote]On Jul 19, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Bound Volumes of Apocalypse. Great material throughout all of them and pure gold from Harry Lorayne in his afterthoughts, anecdotes, tips, history, personal accounts, etc. Simply marvellous.
Close up Card Magic is also a great read and the photographs are some of my alltime favourites."

Part of my "relentless marketing regimen" is to quote this kind of item. I have many pages of even stronger ones, Tim. I'd be happy to list a bunch of them, if you like. Quotes like, "Harry Lorayne's influence on how effects are writren is equivalent to Shakespeare's influence on the theatre." (Gary Kosnitsky).

Let me know if you'd like me to list more - I have hundreds. Will gladly do so if you want me to, and if I can find the time.
Greater Magic, and Expert Card Tecnique. I love reading old books.