(Close Window)
Topic: New book
Hi,

There have been rumors for a while now that I was working on a new card book in the mode of [i]Cardshark[/i], [i]Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table[/i], and [i]Scams & Fantasies with Cards[/i]. The rumors are true. Up until now I have avoided the inquiries Iíve gotten about this because I didnít want to create interest before the project was in its final stage.

That final stage has arrived. The book is called [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i]. It contains thirty card effects. It will retail for $55. It will be very similar to my previous card books, although slightly larger.

In addition to the regular edition, there will also be a Deluxe Collectors' Edition. It is limited to 100 numbered, signed copies, bound in bonded leather, in a custom slipcase, with a bound-in ribbon bookmark. The price for this limited edition will be $110. Those who order earliest will receive the lowest numbered copies and when theyíre gone, theyíre gone.

I should have copies available for shipping in about five weeks. Between now and then, I will accept pre-orders. If you pre-order, Iíll have a mailer addressed to you and ready to go so that your book will ship the moment I receive copies from the printer.

As a thank-you to anyone who pre-orders, I will pay domestic shipping on the regular edition. (Unfortunately, I canít make the same offer for overseas orders or limited-edition orders.) I will also autograph each copy (unless you request otherwise).

I you want to pre-order, email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Great news Darwin. I'm looking foreward to this one as I have all your previous books.
This is a great news! I look forwards to this book as I enjoyed all the previous books you wrote.

Alex Hui
That's great news Darwin. Will this book also have a mix of gambling and non-gambling effects/routines?
[quote]
On 2012-10-13 23:47, motown wrote:
That's great news Darwin. Will this book also have a mix of gambling and non-gambling effects/routines?
[/quote]
Yes. Among other things, it contains what I sincerely believe is the strongest Texas Holdíem routine to appear to date (completely impromptu). It also contains several effects that, while not gambling routines, could be considered skill demonstrations. The bulk of the effects are, of course, [i]card magic[/i].
Hi darwin, any chance of a list of contents?
How many pages, and who is the publisher?
The book is 281 pages in the same oversize format as my other card books. It contains about 280 illustrations by Tony Dunn and is published by Ortiz Publications.

I wonít list the table of contents only because I really donít think it will provide any insights, except perhaps into my taste in movies. As with my previous books, many of the trick titles are obscure movie titles.
Just pre-ordered! :O)
Me too!!!!!

Darwin, do you also have some of your memdeck work in the book??

Best regards,

Zedd
Will this be available from dealers? because the cost of postage to the UK will be criminal
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 12:07, Zedd wrote:
Me too!!!!!

Best regards,

Zedd
[/quote]
There are seven effects in the book that use a memorized stack. These can be performed with any memorized stack.
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 15:06, MARKC wrote:
Will this be available from dealers? because the cost of postage to the UK will be criminal
[/quote]
The book will be available through dealers. Keep in mind that overseas magic dealers also have to pay to have books shipped to them from the U.S. They usually incorporate that cost into the price they charge. That said, I canít say how the costs would compare buying from me vs. buying from a dealer in your country.
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 08:09, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
I wonít list the table of contents only because I really donít think it will provide any insights, except perhaps into my taste in movies.
[/quote]

Having discovered, amongst other things, a Richard Widmark gem from previous insights, this in itself would always be interesting.

Very much looking forward to the new book.
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 18:42, PapaG wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 08:09, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
I wonít list the table of contents only because I really donít think it will provide any insights, except perhaps into my taste in movies.
[/quote]

Having discovered, amongst other things, a Richard Widmark gem from previous insights, this in itself would always be interesting.

Very much looking forward to the new book.
[/quote]
[i]Pickup on South Street[/i] is definitely a noir classic from the great Sam Fuller.

However, I don't recommend that anyone watch [i]Cannibal Holocaust[/i] even though I named a card trick after it.
Will the pre- order deal apply to Canada?
Unfortunately, I canít afford to cover the cost of shipping to Canada. So, if youíre Canadian, the only advantages of pre-ordering are that the book will be personally autographed to you and will be shipped to you the moment that I receive it from the printer.
Sounds great, Darwin, your books are on my "will not part with" list. I can't wait to get this one.
I am really excited to see this book finally come to light.

I have been privileged to see many of these effects from Darwin long before I new he was writing a new book. When he asked me to read the book in draft form, I was blown away by the sheer quality of the material. Many of the effects that I had seen are included plus new routines that are simply 'breathtaking'. In reading through the draft, it occurred to me that this new book could well be his finest to date. It represent a quantum leap in quality, creativity, intellectual analysis and sheer value for money. It is no secret that I am big fan of Darwin's books and have been long before I became one of his students.

I make no apology for my enthusiasm for his latest contribution to the subject of card magic. I feel the title of this book lives up to claim, 'Lessons in Card Mastery' is your opportunity to take your studies to a post graduate level, do it, you will not be disappointed.

Michael Vincent
London
[quote]
On 2012-10-20 11:50, Michaelvincent wrote:

I have been privileged to see many of these effects from Darwin long before I new he was writing a new book. When he asked me to read the book in draft form, I was blown away by the sheer quality of the material. Many of the effects that I had seen are included plus new routines that are simply 'breathtaking'. In reading through the draft, it occurred to me that this new book could well be his finest to date. It represent a quantum leap in quality, creativity, intellectual analysis and sheer value for money. It is no secret that I am big fan of Darwin's books and have been long before I became one of his students.

I make no apology for my enthusiasm for his latest contribution to the subject of card magic. I feel the title of this book lives up to claim, 'Lessons in Card Mastery' is your opportunity to take your studies to a post graduate level, do it, you will not be disappointed.

Michael Vincent
London
[/quote]

Mr. Vincent,

There is certainly no need for you to apologize; I would argue that your praise of any work speaks volumes - please pardon the pun - such that hacks like myself will definitely sit up and take notice. That said, I will buy any Darwin Ortiz book sight unseen; the same applies to your material and a handful of others. I am hoping that EU dealers won't kill us on the price :lol:

With deep respect,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2012-10-21 09:54, Vlad_77 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-20 11:50, Michaelvincent wrote:

Michael Vincent
London
[/quote]

Mr. Vincent,

There is certainly no need for you to apologize; I would argue that your praise of any work speaks volumes - please pardon the pun - such that hacks like myself will definitely sit up and take notice. That said, I will buy any Darwin Ortiz book sight unseen; the same applies to your material and a handful of others. I am hoping that EU dealers won't kill us on the price :lol:

With deep respect,
Vlad
[/quote]

Thank you Vlad

This book is one to treasure and grow from.

Cheers

Michael
This IS very good news. It looks like anyone near the Metropolitan Detroit Area will get a chance to see Darwin perform some of these effects live at the Motor City Close-Up Convention in just four short weeks.

I know that I am very excited about seeing Darwin.

If you are able, try to attend and spend some time with Darwin. Information regarding the convention can be found at: http://www.johnlukamagic.com/convention_main.html
I look forward to get my hands on this book, I have all Darwins books and they are my favourites.
When I perform cardmagic from Darwins books I get great reactions every time.
Will you produce a Dvd set?
[quote]
On 2012-10-22 13:51, Kjellstrom wrote:
Will you produce a Dvd set?
[/quote]
Hi Mats,

The DVD market has shrunk to the point where I donít know if Iíll ever do another DVD set. Itís impossible to know what the future holds. But, as of now, it seems likely that anyone who wants to learn all the effects in this book will have to own the book.

Thanks for your kind words about my earlier books.

Once again, anyone who wants to pre-order [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i] should email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Hi Darwin

I have always purchased your DVD sets and they have always been an indispensible learning aid to go along with your books.

How has the DVD market changed? I see new sets of DVDs released all the time. I assume DVDs sell or else we would see less and not more DVDs being released. Am I missing something?

Thank you.
Sounds good, I love books as I am from the old school of book collectors. But I also love DVDS as well, and better yet books that come with a companion DVD kinda like the Definitive Sankey set, or two DVDS for the deluxe set. I don't see how the market has shrunk and most these days want DVDS as they are more "visual" and are better for teaching timing of sleights and moves. I also love watching the presentation of other magicians. Books just give you a lot more info for the price but I love both combined for the best overall learning tool.
Hi Pierredan,

Iím not an expert on the DVD market and wonít pretend to be. It seems to me, however, that the major DVD companies are releasing ever fewer DVD sets of the kind Iíve made in the past. I suspect that the main reason is bootlegging.

Again, I canít say what the future holds, but I have no present plans of making a DVD set to accompany [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i].

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
[quote]
On 2012-10-22 20:29, Darwin Ortiz wrote:

The DVD market has shrunk to the point where I donít know if Iíll ever do another DVD set.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
[/quote]

Really? I would have thought the opposite were true.

:wow:
Having read Darwin's new book in draft form, I experienced a personal sense of achievement and fulfilment at having learnt many of the routines from the printed page.
Not only that, this new book has stimulated my creativity in ways I could not have predicted.
Darwin's writing style and teaching ability is the absolute best in this new book.
I am excited for anyone out there who loves elegantly crafted card magic.
This books delivers.

Michael Vincent
London
Hi Darwin,

Will your latest book have any thoughts, effects or routines using stack work i.e. mem deck effects?

Looking forward to its release

p.s. How much are you charging for shipping to Australia

Thanks

Baobow
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 15:24, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-14 12:07, Zedd wrote:
Me too!!!!!

Best regards,

Zedd
[/quote]
There are seven effects in the book that use a memorized stack. These can be performed with any memorized stack.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2012-10-25 00:06, baobow wrote:
...How much are you charging for shipping to Australia
[/quote]
Email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
There will be the effects which were shown in your latest DVD series 'Nothing but the Best'? Or the 2nd International Magic Lecture 'Practically Impossible'?
'''
The effects that appeared in my two sets of lecture notes are included in the new book. Needless to say, they are taught in much greater detail.

Also, anyone who wants to learn ďBest of the Best,Ē the gambling routine that appeared as a ďperformance onlyĒ item in my [i]Nothing But the Best[/i] DVD set, will find it taught in [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i].

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
No plans for reprinting your previous books? At the Card Table and the Cardshark. Although I have them all, I'm sure there are loads of magicians who would want them as I did. :)
[quote]
On 2012-10-27 10:56, WisdomD.Kim wrote:
No plans for reprinting your previous books? At the Card Table and the Cardshark...
[/quote]
Once [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i] has sold out, Iíll look into reprinting [i]Darwin Ortiz at the Card Table[/i] if there is enough interest. I reprinted [i]Cardshark[/i] a while back and it sold out almost immediately. I will probably reprint it again eventually but have no plans to do so any time soon.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Just ordered the book !!! :D
If At the Card Table + Cardshark are going to be re-printed, I am SO going to buy them.

- Arthur
The essay in Scams & Fantasies was just amazing. Will there be any essay in this book?
[quote]
On 2012-10-30 05:44, WisdomD.Kim wrote:
The essay in Scams & Fantasies was just amazing. Will there be any essay in this book?
[/quote]
I may eventually do a book that is a collection of essays, so I didnít include an essay in this book. However, the commentaries at the end of each effect are quite extensive. In many cases they are, in effect, mini-essays. I believe that many of these commentaries can help magicians improve their magic even if they donít perform the specific effect in question.
I can't agree more. I've always enjoyed the 'mini-essays' in your works, sir. My goodness... There could be a book which would be filled with your essays? How can I wait for that from now on? Sigh.... I expect that your essay book will be available within 10 years, sir. Thank you very much.
I had the privilege of reading a draft copy of ‚ÄúLessons In Card Mastery‚ÄĚ and all I can say is GET THIS BOOK!

Darwin‚Äôs books are amongst my favorite books as well ‚Äď primarily because the material in Darwin‚Äôs books has been audience tested in countless performances. Darwin has also written two of the best magic books ever written about close up magic ‚Äď Strong Magic and Designing Miracles. With such a solid foundation, Lessons In Card Mastery has effects that are guaranteed to deliver.

The book is complete with gambling themed effects, skill demonstrations, memorized deck work and even a gaff or two for the non-purists!! Some routines are well within the grasp of the average card student and there are some routines that will satisfy those folks that love to tackle the difficult material. Darwin also provides performance tips, analysis and reasons as to why he published the effect the way you read it.

I have had the opportunity to see Darwin perform many of these effects for magicians, friends and laypeople alike over the years and the results are quite staggering. I couldn’t wait until this book was complete and now that it is, I strongly encourage anyone interested in card magic to order it. There is definitely something for everyone in this book and Darwin will even autograph it for you if you request!

If you are a student of card magic, this book should be in your library. So the next steps are:

1. order the book
2. grab many decks of cards
3. lock yourself away
4. get to work!!

You will be rewarded !!!
[quote]
On 2012-10-31 16:00, Mark Ennis wrote:
I had the privilege of reading a draft copy of ‚ÄúLessons In Card Mastery‚ÄĚ and all I can say is GET THIS BOOK!

Darwin‚Äôs books are amongst my favorite books as well ‚Äď primarily because the material in Darwin‚Äôs books has been audience tested in countless performances. Darwin has also written two of the best magic books ever written about close up magic ‚Äď Strong Magic and Designing Miracles. With such a solid foundation, Lessons In Card Mastery has effects that are guaranteed to deliver.

The book is complete with gambling themed effects, skill demonstrations, memorized deck work and even a gaff or two for the non-purists!! Some routines are well within the grasp of the average card student and there are some routines that will satisfy those folks that love to tackle the difficult material. Darwin also provides performance tips, analysis and reasons as to why he published the effect the way you read it.

I have had the opportunity to see Darwin perform many of these effects for magicians, friends and laypeople alike over the years and the results are quite staggering. I couldn’t wait until this book was complete and now that it is, I strongly encourage anyone interested in card magic to order it. There is definitely something for everyone in this book and Darwin will even autograph it for you if you request!

If you are a student of card magic, this book should be in your library. So the next steps are:

1. order the book
2. grab many decks of cards
3. lock yourself away
4. get to work!!

You will be rewarded !!!
[/quote]

Nicely put Mark.
I couldn't agree more, I too have seen almost all of the effects performed and each one represents the finest development in card magic today , period.
If you aspire to become a great card man and magician, then study the work of great magicians.
Darwin Ortiz is the best.

Michael Vincent
When is the book going to hit dealers worldwide?

I so want this book... and I'm still on the lookout for At the Card Table. Please do a reprint of that one Mr. Ortiz

many many thanks. Your books are among my favorites!
[quote]
On 2012-11-01 20:59, Erdnase27 wrote:
When is the book going to hit dealers worldwide?
[/quote]
I canít say because Iím not handling international wholesale distribution. It should reach U.S. dealers about the same time that I start shipping pre-orders.
Another vote for a reprint of At the Card Table after Lessons in Card Mastery!
This is the kind of news that cheers me up, looking forward to the work
Me too Shakey!!!

I also would like to see a reprint of At The Card Table. It is the only Darwin Ortiz Book I havent bought yet. I would like to buy it so I can perform The Vegas Shuffle and Mexican Poker for lay audiences (and the ultimate cardshark ofcourse!! what a great gambling effect!!). I still don't perform them to this day, since I haven't got the book yet. I know they are on DVD, but I prefer books (i know.. both mediums can be equally effective).
I haven't read the thread but Mark Ennis mentioned to me there was a discussion of Darwin's latest book. I have been involved in editing this from very eary stages two or three years ago, so wanted to let you guys know this is going to be a classic outing from the Grand Master.

To be blunt, there's not much that gets me interested in magic these days. And indeed, it's rare I return from my travels in the deserts of the Nejd to log onto a... magic site. But the publication of a new Darwin Ortiz book is just the thing to re-ignite my passion for the manliest of the conjuring arts: card magic.

Darwin Ortiz has achieved a status that is unparalleled in card magic. The premier thinker and creator, he is the ne plus ultra when it comes to commercial magic, honed to a razor's edge through the sophisticated marriage of perfect methodology and an unmatched genius for understanding the way a lay audience perceives the world.

Unlike so many in magic who repeatedly offend good taste and expose a lack of professionalism by pumping out session items and half-baked ideas, Darwin Ortiz has won, over decades, an unimpeachable reputation as THE guy who can be relied upon to deliver the highest quality in commercial card magic that is guaranteed to delight paying audiences.

No secret of course that I am a longtime student of Darwin Ortiz's. I am also a very close friend and member of a tiny group (at one time just me and the great and hilarious Mark Ennis, but now there are a few freshmen we have recommended and admitted to the club) that has the fortune to see Darwin's material: both the new ideas in development, and the long-held material that is yet to see publication. So, let me tell you, you're getting a motherlode here. The strongest collection of Darwin's material, ever. This book features new material, worked up over the last five to ten years, and older material being exposed to the magic community, reluctantly, for the first time. I say reluctantly, but I don't mean Darwin is reluctant. I mean, his inner circle are kind of jealous to see this stuff is making its way out into the wider world. But Darwin doesn't suffer from our selfishness. He's happy to share this stuff because he seriously loves great magic and he seriously wants to see people like YOU master this material, develop your own patter and use it to knock people's socks off.

You'll find effects that require high skill, medium skill and no real skill at all. From groundbreaking memorized deck material (plenty of that) through to unrelenting displays of skill that (for a lay audience) cross the line into paranormal activity.

The book features an item that I was lucky to see develop incrementally over ten or fifteen years (expressing my amazement at the thinking, while chipping in my puny 10 cents worth via long distance calls over many hours), a sledgehammer display of super skill, "Best of the Best".

You'll find a mind-blowing display of order conjured from unquestionable chaos in the sublime genius of "52 Pickup". For improvised miracles that will convince the audience you beat Robert Johnson to the crossroads, you simply cannot go past "One Shot, One Kill". I well remember the hair-tingling experience I had when I first worked through this keeper. Don't miss a step but the second phase is bold, unadulterated... I said it again: genius.

You'll find examples in which Darwin has taken an existing solid item released by another pro and drop kicked it for a field goal through the pearly gates. Your audiences will want to build a temple to you when you smash them with the unrelenting rat-a-tat-tat flourish revelations in "Twelve the Hard Way". These aren't mere tinkerings around the edges (as is common in ebooks, downloads and session items, but quantum shifts in thinking that make the items "need to have" in your repertoire. Another example is Darwin's superb evolution of a clever Eric Mead item, seen here as "Rouge et Noir".

And you'll see re-workings of classic plots that may become the "Great Seal" for these outings. Again, I well-remember the stunned feeling I had when Darwin talked me through (in yet another of our "bi-polar" long distance calls - him in DC and me in the antipodes or some middle eastern souq) his stunningly evil mechanics for the Travelers, seen here in the "Doppleganger". Evil, baby. The ultimate version, but not for slackers.

Other favourites include his super memory plot, designed to make people build a temple to you: "Billion Dollar Brain". And don't miss his game-changing addition to the genre of the multiple selection routine. Thinking a hundred kilometers outside the box, Darwin provides us with an innovative approach to the expository phase that is the first evolutionary shift in this plot since Eddie Fechter kicked it in the ass.

This book is, I think, the strongest offering to date. When you consider that EACH of Darwin's other three books raised the bar in magic, that is saying something. I recommend this book to anyone who loves great card magic and wants to do great card magic. Order it now before they sell out - and order it from the author, so he is encouraged to start penning the NEXT great book in card magic.

Andrew Wimhurst
My order is in and I can't wait for this to arrive!
Really excited about this book! Hoping there will be an update from the publishers soon
[quote]
On 2012-11-08 11:04, ASW wrote:
I haven't read the thread but Mark Ennis mentioned to me there was a discussion of Darwin's latest book. I have been involved in editing this from very eary stages two or three years ago, so wanted to let you guys know this is going to be a classic outing from the Grand Master.

To be blunt, there's not much that gets me interested in magic these days. And indeed, it's rare I return from my travels in the deserts of the Nejd to log onto a... magic site. But the publication of a new Darwin Ortiz book is just the thing to re-ignite my passion for the manliest of the conjuring arts: card magic.

Darwin Ortiz has achieved a status that is unparalleled in card magic. The premier thinker and creator, he is the ne plus ultra when it comes to commercial magic, honed to a razor's edge through the sophisticated marriage of perfect methodology and an unmatched genius for understanding the way a lay audience perceives the world.

Unlike so many in magic who repeatedly offend good taste and expose a lack of professionalism by pumping out session items and half-baked ideas, Darwin Ortiz has won, over decades, an unimpeachable reputation as THE guy who can be relied upon to deliver the highest quality in commercial card magic that is guaranteed to delight paying audiences.

No secret of course that I am a longtime student of Darwin Ortiz's. I am also a very close friend and member of a tiny group (at one time just me and the great and hilarious Mark Ennis, but now there are a few freshmen we have recommended and admitted to the club) that has the fortune to see Darwin's material: both the new ideas in development, and the long-held material that is yet to see publication. So, let me tell you, you're getting a motherlode here. The strongest collection of Darwin's material, ever. This book features new material, worked up over the last five to ten years, and older material being exposed to the magic community, reluctantly, for the first time. I say reluctantly, but I don't mean Darwin is reluctant. I mean, his inner circle are kind of jealous to see this stuff is making its way out into the wider world. But Darwin doesn't suffer from our selfishness. He's happy to share this stuff because he seriously loves great magic and he seriously wants to see people like YOU master this material, develop your own patter and use it to knock people's socks off.

You'll find effects that require high skill, medium skill and no real skill at all. From groundbreaking memorized deck material (plenty of that) through to unrelenting displays of skill that (for a lay audience) cross the line into paranormal activity.

The book features an item that I was lucky to see develop incrementally over ten or fifteen years (expressing my amazement at the thinking, while chipping in my puny 10 cents worth via long distance calls over many hours), a sledgehammer display of super skill, "Best of the Best".

You'll find a mind-blowing display of order conjured from unquestionable chaos in the sublime genius of "52 Pickup". For improvised miracles that will convince the audience you beat Robert Johnson to the crossroads, you simply cannot go past "One Shot, One Kill". I well remember the hair-tingling experience I had when I first worked through this keeper. Don't miss a step but the second phase is bold, unadulterated... I said it again: genius.

You'll find examples in which Darwin has taken an existing solid item released by another pro and drop kicked it for a field goal through the pearly gates. Your audiences will want to build a temple to you when you smash them with the unrelenting rat-a-tat-tat flourish revelations in "Twelve the Hard Way". These aren't mere tinkerings around the edges (as is common in ebooks, downloads and session items, but quantum shifts in thinking that make the items "need to have" in your repertoire. Another example is Darwin's superb evolution of a clever Eric Mead item, seen here as "Rouge et Noir".

And you'll see re-workings of classic plots that may become the "Great Seal" for these outings. Again, I well-remember the stunned feeling I had when Darwin talked me through (in yet another of our "bi-polar" long distance calls - him in DC and me in the antipodes or some middle eastern souq) his stunningly evil mechanics for the Travelers, seen here in the "Doppleganger". Evil, baby. The ultimate version, but not for slackers.

Other favourites include his super memory plot, designed to make people build a temple to you: "Billion Dollar Brain". And don't miss his game-changing addition to the genre of the multiple selection routine. Thinking a hundred kilometers outside the box, Darwin provides us with an innovative approach to the expository phase that is the first evolutionary shift in this plot since Eddie Fechter kicked it in the ass.

This book is, I think, the strongest offering to date. When you consider that EACH of Darwin's other three books raised the bar in magic, that is saying something. I recommend this book to anyone who loves great card magic and wants to do great card magic. Order it now before they sell out - and order it from the author, so he is encouraged to start penning the NEXT great book in card magic.

Andrew Wimhurst
[/quote]

This is one powerful testimonial for what will be a 'classic of classic's' on the subject of card magic.
Well said ASW

VIncent
UK
Any further news on the release of this?
It seems that one of those inevitable production delays has cropped up. In this case, a glitch with the dust jacket (something about the ďbleedĒ not being correct). Hopefully, it will be sorted out in the next day or so and things will be back on track.

I apologize for the delay. Iíll post a firm ship date as soon as I have one. Iíll continue to accept pre-orders until the book ships from the printer.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Thanks for the update, Darwin. If you don't mind, please keep us updated on the last day that you will accept pre-orders. I'm hoping to make the cut-off but I might have to wait a bit as well, not sure yet.

Also, count me in with all of the others for another vote for At the Card Table, one of the few books I still don't have of yours.
I'm entering the army in the coming 6th of December. I really want to dive into this book before I go there... as the last present for myself. The book is supposed to arrive at least by next week in my plan. Is there any further news on this upcoming book, sir?
Darwin, is the Deluxe Collectors' Edition still available? If so, what would the shipping be to California? Thank you.
As of today the dust jacket issue is finally resolved. Everything is back on track and I hope to have a ship date perhaps as soon as tomorrow. Iíll post it as soon as I have it.

I want to thank everyone for their patience. If anyone doesnít want to wait any longer, let me know and I will immediately refund your money. Otherwise, Iíll do my best to get the book to you as soon as I can.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

PS: Yes, there are still copies of the Deluxe Collectors' Edition available. If interested send me an email.
This is a MUST HAVE book - there is no doubt about it. All Darwin's books are now classics, and I am sure this last one is fantastic. In fact, we are lucky that Darwin took the time to write this new one.
I am NOT going to get refund for that, Mr. Ortiz :)
Challenge ACCEPTED!!! I will keep waiting for your updates from now on ~*

- Arthur (with a big smile)
My name is Wisdom Kim and for the past few decades, you showed us why we should never play cards with strangers with your books. There won't be any refunds at all. Absolutely not.
Any further news on the release of this book, this seems like it is taking an age to come out????
Daren, I'm sure that as soon as Darwin knows he will let us know. Right now he is at the mercy of the printer. When waiting for something we want it ALWAYS seems like it takes forever.
Yeah true, every day seems like a week! lol
Pre-ordered and waiting!!!
I just this moment received word from the printer that the books are expected to ship from them to me on December 12th. It should then take about a week for the books to reach me. At that point I will start shipping copies (as fast as I can!) to all who pre-ordered. This will all, unfortunately, coincide with the Christmas mail rush, but Iíll do my best.

I want to apologize to all who pre-ordered for the long delay. I can only say that when I initially made the offer I had no reason to believe that it would take this long. (It all had to do with some problem with the dust jacket, which to this day no one has been able to adequately explain to me.)

I will continue to accept pre-orders until the book is actually in my hands, which, as indicated above, should be about December 18th.

Thank you all for your patience.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
I just want to let everyone know that I spoke to the printer today and everything is on schedule. The books will ship to me on December 12th. I should receive them about a week later. Iíll then immediately start filling orders. I will honor the pre-order offer until the books are in my hands.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
It's good to have an update of that!!! Thanks for the efforts, Mr. Ortiz :)

- Arthur
I just want to let everyone know that [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i] arrived yesterday slightly ahead of schedule. Copies will start going in the mail on Monday. (Iíll ship in the order that I received your orders. Those who ordered first will receive their copies first.)

I said that I would honor the pre-order offer until December 18th, so Iíll stick to that.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Great news, look forward to receiving this, thanks again Darwin
Thank you for the updates Mr. Ortiz. I hope you're not having a hectic time before Christmas.

Kened
Great news.Can't wait to receive my copy.
Just placed my order today. Excited to read it! I really hope Darwin reprints his cardshark book.

-Alex
My copy arrived today. A new Darwin Ortiz book is the perfect thing to get snowed in with...shame it is so warm here in the north east.
[quote]
On 2012-12-19 16:58, nooner wrote:
My copy arrived today. A new Darwin Ortiz book is the perfect thing to get snowed in with...shame it is so warm here in the north east.
[/quote]

This might be the first time I have been jealous of someone for getting a book before me.
[quote]
On 2012-12-19 17:25, rnaviaux wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-19 16:58, nooner wrote:
[/quote]

This might be the first time I have been jealous of someone for getting a book before me.
[/quote]
Randy, your order went out this morning. Iíve already shipped a lot of orders, but there are still a lot more to go. All I can do is to keep shipping as many books each day as I can until theyíre done. Theyíre going out in the order in which I received the orders.

I hope that everyone enjoys the book when they receive it.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Sweet! I've got a whole week of vacation coming up in a couple days. (Been working hard on memdeck in prep for this.) I feel like a little kid at Christmas time:)

Thanks for the update. (I sure hope my jealousy comment wasn't taken as a complaint or annoyance. I meant it all in good fun.)

Now...time to find a baby sitter that will work over the holidays so I don't get interupted.
Randy,

I absolutely didnít take your comment as a complaint. Now it occurs to me that my response may have sounded defensive, which I didnítí intend. I simply wanted to bring everyone up to date as to where things stand right now.

Sincerely,
Darwin
I was very pleasantly suprised to find the book sitting in my mailbox today.

Cannot wait to dive into it.
No worries...now if those new PX90 DVDs would show up I might be able to lose a few pounds over the holidays as well;)
Now someone just needs to come up with a sleight or move that will allow me to get this book past my wife and on the bookshelf without her knowing, then I can pretend its an old book I'm re-reading.

Anyone else have that problem?

B
Book jackets are transferable.
Brilliant! Haha...

Its getting it from the mailbox to the shelf that's a problem.
Eagerly waiting the book. I will spend my new year's first day practicing if it arrives in 2012.

Alex Hui
Hey Alex, let us know when you receive the book in Tokyo. I am eagerly awaiting the book too.

Thanks

Shahin
Hoping my copy arrives today.(fingers crossed)
It's available at penguinmagic. Curious if the orders from Darwin has been shipped out yet. I'm excited!

-Alex
[quote]
On 2012-12-22 05:51, puffinmonkey wrote:
It's available at penguinmagic. Curious if the orders from Darwin has been shipped out yet. I'm excited!

-Alex
[/quote]

My magic buddy already got his copy here in Utah a few days ago. Darwin is shipping them out as fast as he can in the sequence that he received the orders. (See his earlier posts on this thread.)
I hope the UK Post Office does not slow this down. This is one of my most anticipated gifts (to myself) of the year.

Kened
Kenedho - I hear ya. Just sitting by the window myself. Waiting for the mailman to drive by.
Sweetbeans! Thanks for the update! Count me in. Waiting by the window for the mailman.

-Alex
I want this one as I have Darwin's all other books, but will wait for it till I can purchase it from a dealer here in europe.
I just want to let everyone know that I have only four copies of the Deluxe Collectorsí Edition left. I have also made some copies available to dealers, so you can always track one down that way. But if you want a copy personally inscribed from me to you, there are only four more.

Regular copies are still available (autographed upon request), but the free shipping offer is over.

If you want to order, send me an email at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
Hi Darwin,
I am very pleased to learn that you have a new book available.
I will send you an e-mail to order it.
I also would love to buy a DVD with your new material and perhaps also with your interpretation of classics such as The invisible Palm, Triumph or The homing card.
You could perhaps shoot this DVD with Alakasam in Eastwell Manor .
All the best,

Philippe Noel
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 00:57, rnaviaux wrote:
No worries...now if those new PX90 DVDs would show up I might be able to lose a few pounds over the holidays as well;)
[/quote]

I now have both Lessons In Card Mastery and P90X, and the former is winning - I can't put it down. It is full of obviously great material just on browsing through. It will take a long time to work through everything!

Perhaps P90X will fit in somewhere after the new year. ;)
Message: Posted by: andrewstephensmagic (Dec 23, 2012 12:43PM)
Just got mine from Vanishing Inc. They offer free shipping and I'm excited to get it!
Still haven't received mine. Gotta say I'm a bit dissappointed. Preordered in October and people who ordered through retail outlets have theirs first.
Received mine yesterday. Having read through it once and am now starting to work on the material in it starting from the beginning.

I think I remember, earlier in this thread, Mr. Vincent saying this work is a "post graduate" work on the topic of card magic. I must admit I was curious how that could be so. Not anymore. I sure wouldn't give this book to a beginner. Although there are effects that "aren't" technically difficult, needing no more than an ability to cut the deck, nontheless this is sophisticated material.

While one may not need to have studied all of Darwin's earlier work to appreciatte this latest entry it sure wouldn't hurt.

Long ago I relaized I wouldn't have the time (until maybe I retire) to really become a scholar of magic. I would have to find a few authors that have done a lot of the hard work for me. (I know this sounds a bit lazy but I simply am not interested in reinventing the wheel.) Imagine my reaction to being sold a book called "Cardshark" written by Darwin Ortiz. The guy behind the counter had demonstrated a routine or two from the book and told me this was the book I wanted. Frankly I wasn't too impressed with the routines but bought the book at his insistence.

I came back a few days later and asked what the heck is a "pink count." Then he sold me At the Card Table written by this same individual I had never heard of in over 20 years in magic by then. (Bruce Elliot and Henry Hay were my inspirations at that point. I spent a lot of time in libraries and not much in magic shops.)

This was 99 and that guy behind the counter at the magic store was named "Paul Vigil."

I devoured At the Card Table and then Cardshark and started to rpeform the magic therein at every opportunity. I soon realized that I had no real idea of what constituted strong magic. Wouldn't you know it. That enigmatic Paul Vigil then pulled out a book called Strong Magic and said "There isn't a single trick in this book. This is the only book I take with me when I travel." By this time I trusted Paul and his recommendations so I bought it and read it. And thus I began my real education in magic.

Mr. Kaufman once made a comment on his forum that any magician would/should know the information in that book. Well with the publication of Strong magic it is much easier to get to that point without as much trial and error.

Scams and Fantasies was next to be published and now we have Card Mastery. Reading through this book made me refelct on how much I have learned over the last 13 years. I'm thinking if I hadn't put in the time and effort to study those earlier works just mentioned I might not get as much as I have already gotten out of this latest offering.

How lucky are we to have someone publish the fruits of his life's labors so we can impress an entertain an audience with a few card tricks? I know its given me quite the reputation and in times of need as enabled me to survive a layoff as well as to get a job. (Another story for another time.)

So a sincere thank you to Mr. Ortiz for this wonderful Christmas present.

P.S. - The PX90 DVDs arrived but a friend told me about "Insanity DVDs" and I have gone ahead and ordered them as I am positive they will give me faster and better results than PX90.
[quote]
On 2012-12-23 20:53, rnaviaux wrote:
Received mine yesterday. Having read through it once and am now starting to work on the material in it starting from the beginning.

I think I remember, earlier in this thread, Mr. Vincent saying this work is a "post graduate" work on the topic of card magic. I must admit I was curious how that could be so. Not anymore. I sure wouldn't give this book to a beginner. Although there are effects that "aren't" technically difficult, needing no more than an ability to cut the deck, nontheless this is sophisticated material.

While one may not need to have studied all of Darwin's earlier work to appreciatte this latest entry it sure wouldn't hurt.

Long ago I relaized I wouldn't have the time (until maybe I retire) to really become a scholar of magic. I would have to find a few authors that have done a lot of the hard work for me. (I know this sounds a bit lazy but I simply am not interested in reinventing the wheel.) Imagine my reaction to being sold a book called "Cardshark" written by Darwin Ortiz. The guy behind the counter had demonstrated a routine or two from the book and told me this was the book I wanted. Frankly I wasn't too impressed with the routines but bought the book at his insistence.

I came back a few days later and asked what the heck is a "pink count." Then he sold me At the Card Table written by this same individual I had never heard of in over 20 years in magic by then. (Bruce Elliot and Henry Hay were my inspirations at that point. I spent a lot of time in libraries and not much in magic shops.)

This was 99 and that guy behind the counter at the magic store was named "Paul Vigil."

I devoured At the Card Table and then Cardshark and started to rpeform the magic therein at every opportunity. I soon realized that I had no real idea of what constituted strong magic. Wouldn't you know it. That enigmatic Paul Vigil then pulled out a book called Strong Magic and said "There isn't a single trick in this book. This is the only book I take with me when I travel." By this time I trusted Paul and his recommendations so I bought it and read it. And thus I began my real education in magic.

Mr. Kaufman once made a comment on his forum that any magician would/should know the information in that book. Well with the publication of Strong magic it is much easier to get to that point without as much trial and error.

Scams and Fantasies was next to be published and now we have Card Mastery. Reading through this book made me refelct on how much I have learned over the last 13 years. I'm thinking if I hadn't put in the time and effort to study those earlier works just mentioned I might not get as much as I have already gotten out of this latest offering.

How lucky are we to have someone publish the fruits of his life's labors so we can impress an entertain an audience with a few card tricks? I know its given me quite the reputation and in times of need as enabled me to survive a layoff as well as to get a job. (Another story for another time.)

So a sincere thank you to Mr. Ortiz for this wonderful Christmas present.

P.S. - The PX90 DVDs arrived but a friend told me about "Insanity DVDs" and I have gone ahead and ordered them as I am positive they will give me faster and better results than PX90.
[/quote]

Loved your story and honesty.
I can really get a sense of your journey over the last few years.
I have been studying Darwin's work since I first read his name in Harry Lorayne's book "Afterthoughts" - I was 15 years old.
It has been a fantastic adventure.

Best wishes to you and I know you will discover a lot of gems in the new book.

Mike Vincent
London
[quote]
On 2012-12-23 13:43, andrewstephensmagic wrote:
Just got mine from Vanishing Inc. They offer free shipping and I'm excited to get it!
[/quote]

In my short time here I'm astonished by how many fake shill accounts I've seen from vanishing inc on these forums.
Got mine today, I'm sure it will be more than worth the wait! Thanks Darwin.
Bummer! I pre-ordered the deluxe edition, and with my luck it will show up on Wednesday (the day I head out of town on business for 10 days!!). Oh well. Something to look forward to when I get back, I guess. :(
Ordered mine. It will only show up on 9th of januari (the magicshop where I ordered it , is closed until then), but I have something to wait for!
Thanks Darwin, I have all your books with exception of "At the Card Table". Since I am very interested in performing 4 items from that book (Las Vegas Shuffle, Gemini Twins, Mexican Poker and Jackpot), I hope that you will reprint it at one time!)

Thanks and your work inspires me!

Kind regards
Erd
Erdnase27 - several of those effects are in his recent DVD set "Nothing but the Best."
At this point, almost all of the regular editions have shipped. The few remaining will go out next week.

The collectorsí edition arrived late because of a delay in manufacturing the slipcases. Only about half of those have gone out so far. The rest will go out next week. (I have two of these still available.)

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz

PS: Erdnase27, thanks for the kind words.
[quote]
On 2012-12-28 15:39, rnaviaux wrote:
Erdnase27 - several of those effects are in his recent DVD set "Nothing but the Best."
[/quote]

I know, and I could just buy those, but I prefer books and as long as Darwin Ortiz is "planning to do it", well that's enough for me to keep hope ;)

Thanks for the advice anyway :)
Thanks god, I thought I missed my package!!
Thanks for the update :D

- Arthur
Got mine in Hong Kong today!
Patiently waiting for my copy (Hong Kong too).
The package just arrived! Thanks Darwin!
Today my book arrived (sweden, europe). Im very happy. I will read for many hours now and tomorrow start practising new magic, fun.
Thanks Darwin for speedy service.
I have one copy of the Deluxe Collectorsí Edition left. If youíre interested, email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
That copy is now gone. Anyone who still wishes to order an autographed copy of the regular edition directly from me, however, can still do so.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
It's good to see that the books have made their way across the Atlantic.. should mean mine will be arriving in the UK soon!
Received mine a couple of days ago, and it is awesome, I absolutely love one shot one kill!!! absolutely brilliant!!! and not hard to do either, also working on billion dollar brain, this will fry em!!! Thanks Darwin for your best book to date IMHO
I ordered my book on 9 Dec and is still waiting...

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
I have received mine on 27th Dec and have read the book from cover to cover.

There are some great effects in this book and the performance tips, analyses and crediting are very valuable. I have all of Darwin's non-theory books, and my opinion is that though this book is somehow the less demanding sleight-of-hand wise, some of the effects are exceptional and the rest of the material brilliant. Basically, with the right presentation, you create the illusion of exceptional card-handling, even though some of the effects don't require more than basic card technique.

The book is very well written, there are very few typos and I've noticed one drawing that was for left-handed, when it was intended for a right-handed performer: Double Tap, illustration 4. Besides these minor points, this book is yet again a credit to Darwin and the magic literature.
This is Darwin's finest contribution to the literature of card magic.

Having read this book in draft form, I was stunned by the sheer quality of the material. How many books have been released of late that contain such of wealth of material and education? Not many, Lessons in Card Mastery has set the benchmark for quality and value for money. It is so much more about our education as card men as well as learning top draw material. I have presented "One Shot, One Kill" and I have learnt so much about how lay people think about magic. It is amazing to think that such a simple routine can deliver such a knock out punch of an effect.

As a suggestion, consider reading this book alongside Designing Miracles to consolidate your understanding of how to construct Strong Magic, these two books form a wonderful study.

Michael Vincent
Just an update to say that I've received my copy and after reading the first couple of effects I can say, with confidence, that this is a fantastic book!

Darwin has an excellent writing style and everything is very clear and very honest. I also enjoyed the forward by Mike Vincent too.

Looking forward to spending a lot of time studying this!
[quote]one drawing that was for left-handed,[/quote]

Darwin is left handed. I wish all of the drawings in his books reflected that. Us lefties have spend plenty of time "flipping" things as it were.

~ Dan
Darwin - any time frame on when/if you will reprint At the Card Table or Cardshark?
My copy has arrived in Hong Kong.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
My copy will be here in 2 hours ;)
And.... I have the book and been reading the book until Hard Target. one word.... wow..

okay ill tell some more. Everything in this book exhumes quality. From the foreword by Michael Vincent , the effects themselves etc. etc. I as a professional player fell in love with the Texas Hold em routine. Finally a gambling routine for Texas Hold'em that makes sense, has many interesting plot ideas to it and a even better kicker. Laypeople who are also vivid Pokerplayers will love this one, while laypeople will also be fried with the routine!
This will be one of my new favorite routines to perform! Also .. Best of the best might be the reason to FINALLY learn memorised deck work. And yes I know... "simply shuffle a deck of cards and memorise that one" ;)

I will post more when I read further, but from what I have read so far all I can say is... Wow.. simply wow !
Just received my copy this morning in Toronto, Canada :)

- Arthur
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Jan 10, 2013 02:20PM)
The book is a fabulous read. I really like Doppelganger, though I don't quite understand the meaning of the title with the trick itself. The "dirty" work is made at moments where subtle diversion takes place and will let the audience stunned when the signed aces are taken out of the performer's pockets.
I haven't started to read the materials in the book, but I would like to point out the first thing that I love the most in the book: That is, the author has listed the essential sleights that the tricks itself requires in the content page.

I really love this kind of arrangment, and I appreciate the efforts from the author!

- Arthur
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Jan 12, 2013 04:13AM)
I have been performing "One Shot, One Kill". I just want to say that it really kills! And so easy to do...
I have been performing "Sudden impact". It kills too. You just need to patter along the lines Darwin tells you and almost ddo the "move" with a face of complete boredom (if that makes sense). Totally awesome imo. I also like the Texas Holdem Routine (positively 5th street) and one shot, one kill.

There are some extensive setups in some of the routines. I will be practising those but since I am not a professional *yet* , I have to choose my venues for it. 52 pickup sounds like an awesome routine indeed.
Anyone start to practice the "52 pickup" routine yet? lol

- Arthur
Has someone got the book in Germany? I am still waiting.
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 03:22, poonchingyip wrote:

- Arthur
[/quote]

I started practicing that routine in 1983:)
Antonio, I am still waiting too. My book was sent out to Germany on the 27th...
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 10:57, rnaviaux wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 03:22, poonchingyip wrote:

- Arthur
[/quote]

I started practicing that routine in 1983:)
[/quote]

How's the experience? To me, it is still a very challenging routine.

- Arthur
He was sarcastic I think. 52 pickup is where you throw the cards on the ground.
52 pickup from the book however is a very good routine. Actually I don't think it is that hard. But it looks hard to actually perform it. Will take much time :)
Great routine though!
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Jan 14, 2013 02:17PM)
Brilliant routine, I agree but I don't see myself doing it because it's too long an effect for me to pull off. My own limitations.
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 14:49, Erdnase27 wrote:
52 pickup from the book however is a very good routine. Actually I don't think it is that hard. But it looks hard to actually perform it. Will take much time :)
Great routine though!
[/quote]

OOOOOOOH, HE GOT ME.

lol
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 09:37, antonio123 wrote:
Has someone got the book in Germany? I am still waiting.
[/quote]
Yes me, before Christmas through Penguin and FedEx :). Jan
And, sorry, it is a beautiful book, a joy to read and a dream for MD workers... :) Jan
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 15:40, poonchingyip wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 14:49, Erdnase27 wrote:
Great routine though!
[/quote]

OOOOOOOH, HE GOT ME.

lol
[/quote]

Sorry - wasn't being sarcastic. In 1983 was the first time I saw a Faro done. I came up with my own way of doing it as I had no literature on it.

After thirty years of practice I feel like I am getting fairly comfortable with it:) Just in time for the 52 pickup routine.

Best,

Randy
My excuses for thinking you were being sarcastic. I actually thought it was a funny line :)
I#m also in germany ...... and still waiting :(((((
Received it two days ago (in Germany, too).

Two favorites so far:

- The variation of Bannon Triumph. I smiled a lot when I first went through the routine yesterday. Very convincing up/down shuffles and displays, and technically absolutely doable for an ambitious hobbyist.

- The New Darwin Wild Card. The best (most entertaining, most convincing) wild card effect that I know, maybe even better than Tommy Wonder's Tamed Card that has been my favorite so far. I fooled myself several times. Never tried the original Darwin Wild Card, though, so I can't say how much of an improvement it is.
I received my book today here in Germany. It turned out that the book got stuck in customs....
Hope they didn't read it... no, lousy payment, poor English, no risk... ;) Jan
I just received it - looks gorgeous.
Has anyone performed ďLimitlessĒ yet?

I find it to have a great impact on audiences.

The only issue I had was ďhow to get into itĒ. I did not like Darwinís idea of getting the needed information on the fly so to speak, so I perform it after ďLiarís PokerĒ from Scams & Fantasies. At the end of this trick, you can gather all the information you need to go into ďLimitlessĒ.

If you have some other ideas on how to get the required info, please let me know.
Along those lines, the billion dollar brain looks good as well :) I have yet to try it though, I need to script it.
Still waiting in Germany :/
I just received it- in belgium
Mine arrived last week in Germany. I guess, german customs is responsible for much of the shipping delays.
I recived my copy today in Sweden, and looking very much foreward to read it.
My deluxe edition arrived in Australia last week. It is a thing a beauty to hold and I love the positively 5th street redux for my gambling friends!
Now just to polish up my mem deck work.
Anyone still on the fence about my new book [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i] might want to check out Jason Englandís review in the February issue of MAGIC Magazine. Iíll take the liberty of quoting a couple of sentences:

ďIt contains some of the strongest card magic Iíve come across in years.Ē

and also:

ďIíll put it bluntly: buy this book.Ē

You can still purchase autographed copies directly from me. Contact me at the email address below.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
I can't imagine being on the fence with this one, but I surely can imagine being flat out broke.
Mine arrived a short while ago, I am always amazed how quickly things get to the UK from the States, years ago it took ages.

Anyway, superb book, just oozes quality in both the book itself and the text. I like the way Darwin writes about the magic, it is thoughtful; not just a set of instructions for tricks.

Thank you Darwin.
[quote]
On 2013-01-09 12:09, krazykat wrote:
Darwin - any time frame on when/if you will reprint At the Card Table or Cardshark?
[/quote]
Hi krazykat,

Iím sorry that I overlooked your post and have taken so long to respond. All I can tell you is that, while I plan to reprint both books, I donít have any timetable in mind. I canít narrow it down any further than ďeventually.Ē

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
I'm a non-performing hobbyist who enjoys the intellectual challenge of magic. What gets me excited isn't always the effect, but the thought process in how the inventor achieves the desired result. And Mr. Ortiz's new book is the best book I've purchased since John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy."

Truth be told, I wasn't always a fan of Mr. Ortiz's performance style, at least in the early tapes I bought from A-1. But I suppose that's the age-old argument of books vs. video - the benefit of the written word is we see the effect stripped of inflection, cadence and delivery. There's no place, not the cloak of performance chutzpah, for weak effects to hide. And with "Lessons in Card Mastery," I was delighted over and over again with every page.

The mystification-to-directness of method ratio in "One Shot, One Kill" is like 100-to-1. The methodology behind "Hard Target," as Mr. Ortiz noted in the credits, is so ingenious and implausible that it's just better to sit back and enjoy (with a tip of the hat to Mr. Aronson). "Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a blink-and-you'll-miss gem tucked away in the back pages, but it's an effect that any newcomer to memorized deck magic should tackle. It emotionally engages the spectator, which really, is the secret to getting big reactions.

And I haven't even worked through Positively Fifth Street yet, which so many people on this thread has praised. I can't wait.

(If there's one criticism, it's an aesthetic one: I wished the jacket cover was better designed to match the elegance of the interior. I work in publishing; I notice these sort of things.)

The year is young, but this is the best book I've purchased this year. If there's a better book I buy in 2013, then that's great, which means there would be a book even better than Mr. Ortiz's latest. That's an awfully high bar set.

Kevin
How many of the effects in the book are suitable for strolling work compared to more "at the table"/formal pieces? Also, are a lot of the routines gambling related?
Still looking for a reply for my above question :)
[quote]
On 2013-03-26 09:52, Magic-Daniel wrote:
Still looking for a reply for my above question :)
[/quote]

http://archive.denisbehr.de/show.php?book=375&highlight=24663

This should be able to clarify your question. :)

- Arthur
This book is sooooo good!

I'm working on getting down "Fast Company"
[quote]
On 2013-02-26 21:31, KevinKM99 wrote:
I'm a non-performing hobbyist who enjoys the intellectual challenge of magic. What gets me excited isn't always the effect, but the thought process in how the inventor achieves the desired result. And Mr. Ortiz's new book is the best book I've purchased since John Bannon's "Dear Mr. Fantasy."

Truth be told, I wasn't always a fan of Mr. Ortiz's performance style, at least in the early tapes I bought from A-1. But I suppose that's the age-old argument of books vs. video - the benefit of the written word is we see the effect stripped of inflection, cadence and delivery. There's no place, not the cloak of performance chutzpah, for weak effects to hide. And with "Lessons in Card Mastery," I was delighted over and over again with every page.

The mystification-to-directness of method ratio in "One Shot, One Kill" is like 100-to-1. The methodology behind "Hard Target," as Mr. Ortiz noted in the credits, is so ingenious and implausible that it's just better to sit back and enjoy (with a tip of the hat to Mr. Aronson). "Sorcerer's Apprentice" is a blink-and-you'll-miss gem tucked away in the back pages, but it's an effect that any newcomer to memorized deck magic should tackle. It emotionally engages the spectator, which really, is the secret to getting big reactions.

And I haven't even worked through Positively Fifth Street yet, which so many people on this thread has praised. I can't wait.

(If there's one criticism, it's an aesthetic one: I wished the jacket cover was better designed to match the elegance of the interior. I work in publishing; I notice these sort of things.)

The year is young, but this is the best book I've purchased this year. If there's a better book I buy in 2013, then that's great, which means there would be a book even better than Mr. Ortiz's latest. That's an awfully high bar set.

Kevin
[/quote]

Kevin, I am so happy to see that I finally met someone here who refer John Bannon's Dear Mister Fantasy is one of the best card magic book (since 2005)and set a standard so high that very few books can reach the level of knowledge, effect can delivered.

My only addition to other best books of card magic in recent years will be Ascanio, Tamariz, Woody Aragon and Ramůn Riobůo.

Back to Ortiz latest book, if you say this can compare with DMF, I am sold. You made me want to rush back home and start to read it immediately.
Somehow I completely missed hearing about this! Looks like I have another book to throw on the "to get" list.
Really amazing book, can't put it down, when I start reading - I'm hooked!
So I just got the book today but I'm hoping that someone can suggest the five best tricks from Lessons in Card Mastery. This book is full of so many effects but I don't really want to waste time reading the ones that aren't useful to me. I think I read [i]somewhere[/i] that Darwin would be releasing a companion volume to the book that would list the five best tricks, but this was supposed to be released a couple of months after the book was out and we still don't have it! Anyone who has the book and can help me out, it would be appreciated. Thanks! Not sure what to do in the meantime.

:)

_
Good one, Robert - you almost had me.
Yeah, I was hoping people who read the book (and the forward) would get the joke. I'm looking foward to spending more time with the book this nice, long weekend.
Unfortunately, I still havenít decided what the five strongest effects in [i]Lessons in Card Mastery[/i] are. (I keep changing my mind.)

By the way, anyone who wants an autographed copy of the book can still order it directly from me. Just email me at the address in my signature.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
[quote]
On 2013-08-23 00:32, Robert P. wrote:
So I just got the book today but I'm hoping that someone can suggest the five best tricks from Lessons in Card Mastery. This book is full of so many effects but I don't really want to waste time reading the ones that aren't useful to me. I think I read [i]somewhere[/i] that Darwin would be releasing a companion volume to the book that would list the five best tricks, but this was supposed to be released a couple of months after the book was out and we still don't have it! Anyone who has the book and can help me out, it would be appreciated. Thanks! Not sure what to do in the meantime.
[/quote]

I thought the five self-working ones were the best... just work on those and forget the rest ;-)
There are some really wonderful effects and lessons in this but I'm very disappointed by the editing. There are many spelling errors such as 'CARWD' and multiple misuses of your/you're. There's even a paragraph that uses a different a typeface from the rest of the book.

I've never written, published or edited a book but it always surprises me when mistakes that even a quick spellcheck would have picked up appear in the final printed version.

That gripe aside, this book is really fantastic and I do not regret purchasing it. (Twelve the Hard Way really kills)