(Close Window)
Topic: Slydini magic
I own Slydini's book and all available videos.I want to know what other magic he used to do except coins through the table,paper balls in the box or over the head,silk fountain,helicopter card,newspaper tear,sponge,cigerette.I know he did a linking ring routine.Is there any place I can find his versions of other magic.thanks.
Did you look in the magical world of Slydini? it's by Karl Fulves.
There are a couple of booklets out by one of his students. I believe a rubber band trick and one other that escapes me. His linking pins were released and you
must have the Slydini DVD set put out by Kozmo. Reel Magic Magazine (DVD) has a segment with Bill Wisch on Slydini's magic that just started with the last issue.
Thanks guys.
Well.I wanted his big effects like those mentioned.did he do cups and balls or If other guys are also looking for Slydini magic
I have the as I recall tony Slydini dvds,the magic of Slydini book,rocco ims Slydini video,his full performance in dick show.However a really good source is the stuff from D.Angelo Ferri.
These are some useful links
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=397593&forum=159
http://tonyslydini.blogspot.com/
http://www.lybrary.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=d.angelo+ferri&search_in_description=1&x=6&y=11

problems in due to my countrys policy I cant use credit card to buy online.I hope you can.Good luck.
What a magnificent performer Slydini was - so elegant with his silk routines.
Slydini--like a lot of masters--knew and was capable of much more than is apparent from the books he wrote or the video performances that were recorded of his various routines. At "The Little Egypt Gazette" at
http://littleegyptmagic.com/four97.htm
we learn that a gentleman by the name of Alma Ritchie who was a student of Slydini learned a dancing cane routine from Slydini that was " beautiful and magical to watch."

It would be a great addition to the Slydini oevre if Alma Ritchie would share a little of what he learned from Slydini about the dancing cane. The article I cited notes that "Mr. Richie is also considering releasing the cane routine, possibly in the next 60 days." That article was published in 1997. Does anyone on the Café know Alma Ritchie and whether the dancing cane routine that he learned from Slydini was indeed ever published anywhere? I believe Alma Ritchie is a subscriber to the Electronic Grymoire and perhaps someone on the EG will have information about him.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Ricky Jay not only studied with Slydini, but had a costume sewn by Slydini.
Ricky also learned the dancing cane from Slydini...just try asking him to teach you the dancing cane! LOL
JNeal, your comment "Ricky also learned the dancing cane from Slydini" conjures up all kinds of interesting images.

I'll keep my eyes open for a book called _Dancing Canes As Weapons_. Maybe Ricky would include a photo of himself performing the routine dressed in the costume that Pete referenced. Video would be even better :)

My suggestion is to contact Bill Wisch, Slydini’s protégé and the only student ever sponsored by Slydini, in writing, to lecture on his behalf. He spent years studying with Slydini and can answer any questions about Slydini. His contact info is on his website: http://www.billwisch.com/contact.html
Anatole!
I'llgo one better... There IS a picture of Ricky doing the dancing cane...in the Slydini Bolero jacket!
It's in the Linking Ring early 1960's on a right hand page.. also it's the entire page..but I've forgotten what year!
but the image sticks so vividly in my mind!...as you might imagine.

when or if I see Ricky next...I'll ask him about it.
I think I asked him once around 1981 about it...when we were both working Tahoe...I've forgotten his answer...but not his bemused expression.
Regards-
J.Neal
Bill Wisch has a segment on Kozmo Magic's Reel Magic where he tells Slydini stories and teaches some of the magic Slydini taught him.
Slydini might have had a version of the color changing silks. Fulves made a partial list at the end of The Best of Slydini...and More of the effects that would appear in the next set of Slydini volumes. The color changing silks is on that list but it did not make the cut in The Magical World of Slydini.

Slydini also had a water illusion that he performed a few times. There is a photo of Slydini performing it in his obituary that appeared in Stan Allen's Inside Magic newsletter. It looks like some kind of small Shadow Box and Slydini seems to be taking water out of it in a bowl. I've never found anything else on this illusion. I even wrote a letter to Karl Fulves inquiring about this illusion but never received a response.
Ran across an interesting article recently in Scientific American breaking down Slydini's balls-to-hat routine from the standpoint of the neuroscience involved. There are some distinctions made about what makes for good misdirection and why.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/illusion-chasers/the-neuroscience-of-slydini-s-paper-balls-to-hat-magic-trick/
I thought I had already posted this link to a jpeg on the "Routined Manipulations" facebook page of a young Ricky Jay in a bolero jacket doing the dancing cane routine that Slydini taught him. But just in case, here's the link again:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=913789638643813&set=o.1441412879489019&type=1&theater
I think the jpeg is a screen grab from Ricky's "Deceptive Practices" DVD.

If Ricky makes an appearance at a future IBM convention, just for fun it would be great if he came out on stage wearing a similar outfit to perform his dancing cane routine.

The last place you see Ricky Jay, is at a magician's convention.
Many years ago, I believer Ricky was booked at a magic convention or event (south Africa?). He had been booked on his name alone, and they asked him to send a picture for promotional purposes. Knowing that his appearance was 'unconventional' at the time (this was when his hair was at its longest...) I was told that he sent a picture of another magician. I'm sure he made a surprising appearance when he arrived!

(rumor has it that the picture was of Dale Salwak...but I'm not sure...)
Sounds like Ricky :juggle:
That was a great story Jonathan! A magician should be well groomed unless he is playing the part of a hobo or something similar. Mr. Jay certainly did not look well groomed back in the 1970s.
Hi all,

Thought you might be interested to see the following two videos re: Tony Slydini and his only sponsored protege', Bill Wisch. In the first video, for the first time ever my father shows and discusses his original 1976 letter he received from Tony Slydini endorsing him to lecture and teach his magic. This letter is the only letter that any Slydini student ever received from Slydini specifically endorsing him to lecture and teach Slydini's magic. It is quite an amazing piece of magic history, to say the least.

In the second, he discusses his thoughts on who Tony Slydini was. Hope these videos are of interest to you. Bill launched a new website this year at https://www.billwisch.com and also started a Youtube Channel last year. Feel free to subscribe to Bill's youtube channel! More great content to come. :)

"The Slydini Letter"
[youtube]QQ3h_nz3cwM[/youtube]

"Tony Slydini- The Possessor"
[youtube]khHH2a2A4nY[/youtube]
Hi all,
Wanted to share this audio clip my father published today on Youtube. Hope you enjoy! - Kevin

Bill Wisch Tony Slydini Lesson Audio Clip- Basic Timing Technique - January 16, 1974

[youtube]2KsFXlPSuI8[/youtube]

Description from Youtube:
This audio clip was recorded at Tony Slydini's Studio of Magic in NYC on January 16, 1974. Tony is instructing me on the basic "tense" and "relax" positions in his philosophy on timing and misdirection techniques.

The key to Slydini's whole timing techniques is having a slight hesitation after the "tense" (shoot) position. That gives a natural drop of the hands to the table, otherwise the drop of the hands happens too fast. This is why Tony's magic is so deceptive; everything looks natural and as it should look to the spectator. You will hear him discuss how I, at first, bring the hands up too high. At the end, Tony says the following about my learning: “You must have saw already something about my magic. You went the right way some they do, they don't do at all, they try to do but then nothing.” I was so proud to hear him say that when I reviewed the footage.

This clip represents just 1.5minutes of footage of over 38 hours of audio lessons that Slydini allowed me to take during my time spent studying with him. Please "like" and "share" this, and subscribe to my Youtube channel if you want me to share more of these priceless clips publicly on Youtube for all to enjoy.

https://www.billwisch.com

Audio Clip Copyright 2020 Bill Wisch and Wisch-Craft Productions. All Rights Reserved.
Hey Kevin, I'm not big on leaving YouTube comments but I absolutely couldn't pass this thread up without putting in my vote for hearing more of these audio recordings... what a special collection!

I've subscribed, and hope to see more magic from Bill on the channel. Thanks so much for sharing this, Bill and Kevin.
[quote]On Sep 7, 2020, scotchrocket wrote:
Hey Kevin, I'm not big on leaving YouTube comments but I absolutely couldn't pass this thread up without putting in my vote for hearing more of these audio recordings... what a special collection!

I've subscribed, and hope to see more magic from Bill on the channel. Thanks so much for sharing this, Bill and Kevin. [/quote]

Hi scotchrocket,

Thank you so much for the kind words!! Glad you've subscribed and thank you for your support! Much more content to come :)