(Close Window)
Topic: Liber Mentis
Psycrets has been very busy and proudly announces the publication of Liber Mentis, a collection of essays, effects and routines for mentalists, bizarrists, and readers. With over 380 pages, this tome offers dynamite material from David Berglas, Docc Hilford, Banachek, Scott Grossberg, Sheila Lyon, Enrique Enriquez and many more. There are 45 chapters in this lovely black hard bound book.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/steve-drury/liber-mentis/hardcover/product-20461005.html

The book has been painstakingly edited by Steve Drury and copy edited by other members of Psycrets.

The book celebrates five years of Psycrets, 2007 - 2012 and contains cutting edge material from the world of Mystery Entertainment!

Enjoy!

Dr Todd
Looks amazing. I put it on my list of Must Haves
Looks great. Is it a limited run?
Not limited...
Eternal..
Steve Drury is to be complimented for all his hard work and passion! This was no small task!
Berglas!!!!!

OK, I'm buying NOW
An easier URL

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/psycrets

Dr S: the Berglas routine is elegant, compelling and very powerful...
As a proofreader I had the privilege of seeing all the articles in draft and there are some stunners in there. The Berglas routine is very, very clever...

Barry
I'm very honoured that my little contribution made it into print.
Is in my whish list :)
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the list gets a little longer
Looks good! Large tomes on the shelf make me feel far more important than I should.
These are selling nicely now...proceeds go to support Psycrets and its efforts to continue to develop the mystery arts...
I must admit, I am honoured to have a contribution in amongst all these great names :)
A user requested the Table of Contents for Liber Mentis

CONTENTS
Foreword David Berglas 7
A Brief History of Psycrets Dr Todd Landman 9
Cogito Ergo Conjuro Dr Todd Landman 15
Paulo, Priest & Scientist Roni Shachnaey 31
Beatrice & The Devil Roni Shachnaey 35
Mind ~ The Key Steve Drury 44
Silent Witness Steve Drury 55
Think of a Number David Berglas 67
The Hanussen Numbers Game Docc Hilford 72
Ideas on Magazine Mentalism & Book Tests Banachek 81
Duo Flap Barry Richardson 93
The Tarot is The Text Enrique Enriquez 97
The Grand Scene Reading Scott Grossberg 102
Mysticism for the Masses Sheila Lyon 118
The Gift Alan Jones 131
The Two Tenners Alexander Marsh 141
The Key to 22B Arthur Emerson 149
The Real Thing Atlas Brookings 154
The Power of The Pendulum Barry Cooper 174
Personal Colour Reading Bob Percy 180
Pyromancy Dale Shrimpton 185
Antiquing a Deck of Cards Dan Baines 187
Unidentified Object Daniele Nigris 190
The New Black Dee Christopher 203
Persuasive Prediction Derek Heron 207
A Scents of Suggestiveness Dr. Steve Murray 212
Two of You Drew McAdam 217
Occult Performance in Theory & Practice Freddie Valentine 222
What if? Harry Lucas 227
Totem Animal Readings Iain Dunford 232
Pair on the Patio Iain Jay 237
Cyclic Cuts Part III Jon Thompson 247
Personality Tarot Lars Ruth 252
A Coin in the Hand is Worth Marc Paul 258
Magic and the M-word Madelon Hoedt & Nik Taylor 262
Psychokinetic Pendulums Paul Voodini 277
Victorian Purse Sťance Professor BC 282
The DOP Twist Rainer Mees / Thomas Heine & Nico Heinrich 295
Stamperception Ramon Fauria 305
Production Values in Mentalism Ray Doetjes 313
Earth Ritual Rob Chapman 329
The Psychic Pendulum Test Rob Lupine 341
Chromancy II Roger Curzon 348
Miraskill Simon Scott 354
Big Deal Simon Shaw 364
The Modern Paranormal Entertainer Stephen Ward 371
Stepping Stones Tom Lauten 379
You ask a participant to play a game with you and submit a ten pound bet. You each put in a tenner and you are seen to write something on your ten pound note. You play a game of Rock Paper Scissors with the participant and win. Pausing for a moment you feel bad for taking his tenner since you are a mentalist, so you allow him to have his back as yours is signed with your name. He does so and as you turn away, you wager that you could actually tell him the serial number on his note...and then you do so...

This is a short description of a clean, fun, and powerful new routine from Alex Marsh in Liber Mentis...
Dr Todd,

What do you see as the main differences/similarities between this and scryer and friends?
Liber Mentis covers straight Mentalism, bizarre routines, readings, and some work on meaning, utilities, and TV work...

I do not have Scryer and Friends, so I cannot really compare, sorry.

Cheers

Dr Todd
I do have Scryer and Friends and have a copy of Liber Mentis on its way to me. I would be happy to give you my perspective and compare and contrast once I have had a chance to read it.
[quote]
On 2012-11-01 15:31, MagicAtlas wrote:
I do have Scryer and Friends and have a copy of Liber Mentis on its way to me. I would be happy to give you my perspective and compare and contrast once I have had a chance to read it.
[/quote]

that's great... thank you.
Thanks Atlas..look forward to that...

Both are jammed packed with high quality material that's for sure...and my correspondence with Neil Scryer has always been amazing...oozing with creative ideas...

Cheers

Todd
Do you plan to publish an e-Book version?
[quote]
On 2012-11-02 05:27, p-n_junction wrote:
[/quote]

No we will not publish this as an ebook...

Best

Dr T
[quote]
On 2012-11-02 10:28, DrTodd wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-02 05:27, p-n_junction wrote:
[/quote]

No we will not publish this as an ebook...

Best

Dr T
[/quote]
Thank you, Sir! :)

Cheers
Th.
I am very interested in this and await reviews.
Additional information here:

http://www.psycrets.org.uk/html/Psycrets_Publications/psycrets_publications

Best wishes
Dr Todd
Why does lulu charge VAT to UK purchasers? Aren't books exempt? I don't remember this on previous purchases, but maybe I only noticed the extra 20% on a book this expensive. Any ideas?
Ask Lulu?
I did a little digging and found this:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Ordering/VAT-Tax/ta-p/33337

It does seems little strange...
See Ian has written for this. He said ages ago he stoped being member of psycrets. Said it was quietly but said online to one million people so not very quiet ha! So is he member or not? Strange to see people writing but not members.

How many members are performers? Ian cares a lot about that so I ask.
Huh?

yeah, I am no longer a member, my membership ran out earlier this year - no longer a member cos I'm getting progressively busier with other things...

that ok?

you said "How many members are performers? Ian cares a lot about that so I ask." - don't speak on my behalf...

EDIT - just checked, my contribution was in whilst I was a member...
I am a member, I am a contributor, I am not a performer.

Charging VAT on a book seems completely wrong to me, as books are zero-rated in the UK; I assume Lulu isn't based in some other EU country? But I can't seem to get back to the sterling page that I saw the other day anyway; all links are taking me back to the $US page.

Barry
If Lulu are charging VAT, it may be worth waiting for one of their offers which will more or less cancel out the tax.
I'm sure I've never been charged VAT before on Lulu books. I bought one quite recently.

I've just found my way back in to the GB store and did a dummy purchase of Liber Mentis. There was no mention of VAT.

Barry
Hmm, yes it seems like now there is no VAT on the book. Great :)

Unless Todd changed something - I'm wondering whether there is a manual approval process at lulu. For a book to be zero-rated for VAT purposes it has to be an actual book and meet certain conditions. For example, most of the book can't be blank pages - as this makes it more akin to stationary like a diary. Since you could in theory print blank books at lulu, perhaps they manually check each one before removing the VAT for affected markets.
I don't think they do check the books, as I've made myself some f*rc**g hardback books in the past, and they've never questioned it as a printing error...
Hmm, strange.

Self doubt it not something that I'm used to. But someone else did see the VAT added previously? The site asked me to confirm my location and then put on £20.
The policy seems to vary by location...it did strike me as strange, but it looks as though VAT is not added, which pleases me greatly.

Our criteria for membership include performance and/or creation/publication in the field of mystery entertainment. So Barry has written a lot of really neat stuff but does not perform. Many members perform but do not publish, while many more perform and publish.

Best wishes

Todd
[quote]
On 2012-11-05 12:49, DrTodd wrote:
So Barry has written a lot of really neat stuff but does not perform.
[/quote]

Thanks, Todd! For the avoidance of doubt, I do perform occasionally - I just wouldn't describe myself as "a performer"!

Barry
Hi Everyone, I receive my contributors copy of Liber Mentis this morning.
It is a thing of beauty. It runs to over 387 pages.
I'm going to have to find some time today to dive into this, there are so many exciting contributions.
Congratulations to everyone involved.

Derek
I can only concur with Dereks view on the book. Its chock full of useful information, and top notch routines.And F.Y.I NYnick, , My contribution,"pyromancy" Is something from my working set, that I have been performing regualy for paying audiences for well over 25 years.
[quote]
On 2012-11-11 19:36, daleshrimpton wrote:
I can only concur with Dereks view on the book. Its chock full of useful information, and top notch routines.And F.Y.I NYnick, , My contribution,"pyromancy" Is something from my working set, that I have been performing regualy for paying audiences for well over 25 years.
[/quote]

...and a fine piece of work it is too Dale. For the record my contribution is no pipe-dream either. With several hundred performances, it's one of my impromptu 'go to' effects.

I am really enjoying the book, the range of effects, routines and essays is wide and varied.

Derek
YAY - Lulu just sent me an email saying my copy is on the way...

I'm looking forward to reading your work, my fellow colleagues in mental madness!
Mine has arrived but as I ordered two other books at the same time, it may be awhile before I can offer any substantial comments.
At last I have it in my (huge) hands.
Not had any time today in the afternoon to read it seriously, of course (academia, preparing to leave for TM, being tired..)

BUT:
three things I did have a look at. And these are gorgeous:
- D. Berglas on a *very* peculiar form of mindreading;
- Enrique's thoughts on the Tarot; and
- Dan Baines about how to 'do certain things' to a deck of cards.

The level is, like, -*outstanding*?
Yep - If you like understatement...
This will be on display tomorrow at Tabula Mentis XII with Freddie Valentine, Dale Shrimpton, Peter Antoniou, Jon Thompson, Alex Marsh, and Christian Chelman...

Many of the contributors will be there and I hear some signing will be taking place as well.

Copies are whisking their way around the world to the United Arab Emirates, Seattle, Santa Barbara, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Norway, Scotland, New York City, Miami, Belfast, Germany, among others...

Very pleased with the take up of this and do hope that folks find great value between its pages.

Cheers

Dr Todd
And Canada too

Mine arrived and its amazing

Kudos to psycrets!!!!!!

This reminds me of the now over oracle magazine - except on steroids - all the stuff I love - blends of mentalism, bizarre, storytelling, performance art and more.

And although I bought it for Berglas material automatically - the level of other contributions are high caliber - no garbage or pipe dreams seem to have been included.

It's also massive so I can't give it a full review as yet.... But I will say this is more than worth what I paid...

Hype? No - am I known to hype???? I'm just saying I found my holiday reading and practice book!!!

I just wish this would be a limited run so that they would likely become worth $1000 each in a couple o years
MIne is arrived too! But I am in the UK now and I need to wait...lol.....
Quick luca you have to tell us how good it is!!!
I'm surprised that no-one's submitted a full review of this yet. Surely there must be enough copies of it around by now.

Barry
Its a big book!
Perhaps only Todd, Steve and I have read the whole thing...

Jheff has just issued a positive review in his newsletter, but it doesn't seem to be on his website yet.
I have received lots of feedback Barry and Jheff has sent a review in his newsletter based on having read a third of the book...it is worth reading the whole book, so I for one am happy to wait for the reviews once colleagues have had a chance to read and digest the contents.

Cheers

Todd
Any update on the reviews? I'm looking forward to purchasing this.
I would very much appreciate a review as well and for the same reason.
Given the amount of material contained in the extra-dimensional space between the covers, you may be waiting a while. :bg:

My initial impressions: loads of contributors, lots of usuable stuff, and at the very least, and you also get the Atlas Brookings effect ("Real Thing"). Am I going to use everything in the book? I doubt it. That said, [i]I think it's very inexpensive for what you get[/i], especially if you're a performer.
I'm imagining this is going to be very close to Neal Scryer and Friends, in that it's a combination of multiple performers' material varying over different subjects. Am I correct?

Also, I hear that Carnival of Secrets is along the same lines as well. Could it be correct in saying that all three books are SOMEWHAT of an extension of each other?

Matthew
I don't have Carnival yet, so I can't comment. I think the Neal Scryer & Friends comparison is an accurate one.
I have all three and think they are great. Carnival is about half Scryer and half from his friends.
Any reviews?
No news is good news. Maybe no reviews is good?Sure these guys will all be performing the gold from this book. No time to write reviews., If its real big theres gold for everyone. Just buy it.
[quote]
On 2013-02-20 21:09, MatthewSims wrote:
I'm imagining this is going to be very close to Neal Scryer and Friends, in that it's a combination of multiple performers' material varying over different subjects. Am I correct?

Also, I hear that Carnival of Secrets is along the same lines as well. Could it be correct in saying that all three books are SOMEWHAT of an extension of each other?

Matthew
[/quote]

Hi Matthew

I would say no to this query. The material varies from 'straight ahead' Mentalism to readings to bizarre to technical essays and pendulum work. There is certainly something for everybody in the mental, bizarre and mystery entertainer side of performance magic.

Will Houstoun is reviewing this for The Magic Circular and Genii Magazine, Jheff has posted a kind of reveiw but admits to reading a third of it...sales are holing steady since it was released.

Best wishes

Todd
Will Houstoun's review in Genii is out.

April 2013 issue, pp. 85-86.
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 11:57, ragingcalm wrote:
Any reviews?
[/quote]

Yeah go back one page :)
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 17:18, duanebarry wrote:
Will Houstoun's review in Genii is out.

April 2013 issue, pp. 85-86.
[/quote]

Thanks for that.

Todd
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 14:07, DrTodd wrote:
[quote]
Jheff has posted a kind of reveiw but admits to reading a third of it...sales are holing steady since it was released.
[/quote]
Actually, by now, I've read the whole thing. The remaining two-thirds certainly don't diminish what I thought of it based on the first third. Briefly, I'd be surprised if any experienced mentalist reads it and DOESN'T find something to fall in love with.

- Jheff
[quote]
On 2013-03-22 23:25, Jheff wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 14:07, DrTodd wrote:
[quote]
Jheff has posted a kind of reveiw but admits to reading a third of it...sales are holing steady since it was released.
[/quote]
Actually, by now, I've read the whole thing. The remaining two-thirds certainly don't diminish what I thought of it based on the first third. Briefly, I'd be surprised if any experienced mentalist reads it and DOESN'T find something to fall in love with.

- Jheff
[/quote]

Wonderful. Thank you very much!

Best wishes

Todd
Great to hear that such a big book probably has something that someone will like. Knew it would be that great.
[quote]
On 2013-03-27 05:52, NYNick wrote:
Great to hear that such a big book probably has something that someone will like. Knew it would be that great.
[/quote]

Thanks. We were overwhelmed with the number of submissions and pleased with both the quality and the variety.
I'd like to thank all for their time, effort and subsequent feedback on the Liber Mentis project.
I'm currently working on a new book project with further surprises ....
[quote]
On 2013-05-10 05:40, aviso wrote:
I'd like to thank all for their time, effort and subsequent feedback on the Liber Mentis project.
I'm currently working on a new book project with further surprises ....
[/quote]

Ooooh...do you need a proofreader?!!

Barry