(Close Window)
Topic: I want to learn the chop cup
Where would you advise that I should learn the basic version of the chop cup! I love watching Paul Daniels' chop cup

I have never done any kind of cups and balls before!

Thanks, Ozzy
Ozzy,
First I strongly you get Michael Ammar's DVD, The Complete Cups and Balls. From this DVD series (there are 2 DVDs), and learning a routine, you will learn so much about magic that can be applied to everything you do. You will also learn basic moves that will help with any chop cup routine.

I generally do chop cup today and not C&B, but the learning I got from building a C&B routine were invaluable.

Then I recommend you get The World's Greatest Magic, Chop Cup and you will be all set.

Hudson
Hudson's idea is good.

Also try these books:

"The How to Book of the Chop Cup" by Merlyn T. Shute published by Morrissey MAgic Ltd. of Canada (Widely available)

"Knowing the Chop Cup: And Other One Cup, One Ball Routines" by Will Ayling for the Supreme Magic Know-How Series (Out of print but I found a copy on the big auction site. You might be able to find it easier in the UK)
Learn don allan's chop cup routine. it's the best routine to start with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxXuRhvxUA
John Mendoza routine is very good and entertaining. Larry Jennings' routine is also very good but requires more props, part of the 2 cups routine from Gary Ouellet (2 goblets) has very nice moves that could be added to a chop cup routine. Don Alan is also very good and simpler.
And there are more, in the L&L DVD for chop cups (very inexpensive) you have I think 5 or 6 routines (Mendoza, Jennings and Ouellet are included on the DVD also includes Danny Tong, simple and entertaining routine. Most of the routines are sitting and Tong's is the only one perfomed standing

Hope this helps
Thanks a bunch guys, nice and helpful advice
Adam's answer is the best. Learn Don Alan's routine. Get the DVD with Don actually doing it. Get Ron Bauer's book. After you have learned Don's routine, learn Paul Daniels' routine, if you feel that it is necessary. Don's is much easier to do.

When you have 50 posts, check out the material in the Secret Sessions concerning how to do final loads.
Thanks a lot bill will make sure I do that
Go to one of Paul Daniels' magic workshop in his home. Train from Paddington station to Reading is near his home.
Just adding a few possibilities though Bill Palmer is the authority. These are just some routines I have come to love:

Chop2 by John Bannon in Impossibilia
Two Goblets by Gary Ouellet (this is a two cup routine, but a LOT of magic happens. It was written to be performed sitting but I have reworked it for standing performance and no Topit in sight)
Larry Jennings On the Chop Cup (available in the Busby book Larry Jennkings on Card and Coin Handling
Craig Petty's Chopped (marketed item): This is a chop cup routine done with any opaque paper or styrofoam cup (the cup is NOT gimmicked or prepared in any way. It also uses a spectator signed bill and a killer ending)
Coffee and Dough by Curtis Kam is a splendid routine
I personally like Danny Tong's chop cup off of Worlds greatest magic DVD.
Very smooth, very clean, and all the moves makes sense to me. Very naturally flowing.
But I also agree Ammars DVDs will give great instruction and the basics
The Will Ayling book, Knowing The Chop Cup is available as an e-book at Lybrary.com Also available is Jim Sisti's routine.

Mark
I would start with Ammar's dvd set or book to learn the basics, then move on to Don Alan's routine and WGM - Chop Cup....
NO NO NO NO NO.

If you want to learn the chop cup, get the Don Alan book. You will have everything you need right there.

There is NOTHING about the chop cup on the Ammar DVD's.

If you want to learn the cups and balls, get the Ammar DVD's.

This is like forcing someone to read through Erdnase to learn the Piano Card Trick.
Thank a lot Bill

-Ozzy
Absolutely agree with Mr. Palmer's excellent advice. Ron Bauer's book describes and analyzes Don Alan's chop cup routine in all its details and glory - and it includes insightful comments from Mr. Alan. Don Alan put Al Wheatley's chop cup on a much bigger map.

And you can see Don Alan's routine, exactly as it is described in Ron Bauer's excellent book, here, at the link Adam Chance posted above. But it bears repeating:

http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/023636.html
That link is wrong please make sure you post the right link next time

-Ozzy
It's always interesting to see people's recommendations since they vary quite a bit. I vote you check out Don Alan as well and avoid Ammar until you want to learn cups and balls.
Sorry, Oz, here's the right link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owxXuRhvxUA
I would never argue with Bill Palmer's advice on this subject. I thought Ozzy could learn basic Cups & Balls sleights from Ammar as Ozzy mentioned that he/she had never done any kind of Cups & Balls before. I defer to Bill's expert knowledge....
Ozzy I differ on the issue over Michael Ammar's DVDs, I think there is a ton of great sleights, and misdirection tips here that apply to any small ball and cup routine. The DVD by itself wont teach you the chop cup but is a great foundadtion for small ball magic in general.
One source that has good coverage from very simple routines to more complicated routines is a book Mark Wilson published on the Chop Cup some years ago. Although difficult to find it is worth the effort. The routines very from a basic routine to an interesting routine using a non-chop cup and a sponge ball variation.
Cheers guys, I have found a rather cheap chop cup but before I go and buy it I have been practicing with only sleight of hand it is quite a fun routine I like the fact that it brings out the more performance side of magic rather than the actual trick although the trick plays an important role.

-Ozzy
As far as chop cups, I'm sure thare are many choices, can you guys recommend a good one?
Ook on the rings and things website, they have good ones.
[quote]
On 2013-01-19 11:38, Torque75 wrote:
As far as chop cups, I'm sure thare are many choices, can you guys recommend a good one?
[/quote]

I used the simple aluminium cup and rather cheap one from Morrissey Magic for years and I am absolutely satisfied. If you can test the cup at your local dealer, check if your chosen cup works well together with the chosen ball.
I like Paul Daniels version. Or it could be the timing of his humor that makes me watch it over and over.
WGM- Chop Cup may be the best for you to browse many Chop cup routines. But actually I love Paul Daniel's routine best. It maynot be the most fool(sorry that I don't know which word to describe this kind of things, LOL,sorry),but it must be the most entertaining one~
[b]Paul Daniels' routine is basically the Ken Brooke routine, but Paul's presentation and his personality make it outstanding.[/b]
Thanks Woland for the Don Alan"s link, first time I have seen it and it was great.
I was inspired by this Don Alan YouTube video that I went to RNT-2 and ordered a set of balls. Now all I gotta do is come up with the words for this routine, my biggest challenge.

Already have a number of balls in my collection, but wanted something new that I saw on RNT-2 and ordered it. Right now I am looking at a final load ball on my shelf that I brought from James Tong, a very decorative ball.

Where are you James Tong?
[quote]
On 2013-02-03 00:29, Pete Biro wrote:
[b]Paul Daniels' routine is basically the Ken Brooke routine, but Paul's presentation and his personality make it outstanding.[/b]
[/quote]

Its those Brits. Their ability at comedy will always trump.
The best and most thorough source which I have come across for learning the chop cup is on one of the Brad Burt DVDs. Here's the link:
http://www.bradburtsmagicshop.com/catalog/the-chop-cup-dvd.htm
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 12:16, Bill Palmer wrote:
Adam's answer is the best. Learn Don Alan's routine. Get the DVD with Don actually doing it. Get Ron Bauer's book. After you have learned Don's routine, learn Paul Daniels' routine, if you feel that it is necessary. Don's is much easier to do.

When you have 50 posts, check out the material in the Secret Sessions concerning how to do final loads.
[/quote]

So now I have Don Alan's book, and on my way to 50 posts!
The first chop cup I had was a cheap brushed aluminum one from Tannen's. I couldn't use it. It made my fingers cringe trying to hold it. (I also got annoyed that they sold me the regular red balls, but wanted to sell me an extra large [i]yellow[/i] ball for the climax. I'm sorry, the ball can expand, or change color but in my opinion, it shouldn't do both at once.)

I used to have a mini-chop goblet that I got from The Trickery. I loved and used it a lot. It was in my backpack when I accidently left it behind and it got stolen. The Trickery doesn't seem to exist anymore and no one else is selling that particular model.

I'm planning on getting a new one soon.
I really like this chop cup routine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwghf0qnOwo

it's on his supercharged classics dvd which is excellent