(Close Window)
Topic: Filter by Rick Lax
I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. Seems a very straight forward coins in glass routine - http://www.theory11.com/tricks/filter-by-rick-lax
Hey Stucky,

I will be the first to post, as I was a reviewer for this.

So I got this a few days ago, and have seen the video as well as practiced the method.

Everything in the routine is very practical, and this is probably the best coins to glass effect I have ever come acress.

You need some practice time in front of a mirror, and to get all actions correct, but this will be killer.

If you liked what you saw in the trailer, you will love this.

Filter is a downloadable video from Theory 11 by Rick Lax

Rick goes over everything you need to accmoplish this.

Rick first goes over the Introduction and welcomes you to Filter, plus talks a bit more about the effect.

He then goes over the Evolution and gives credits to people that have made the coins to glass effect before him, including Daniel Garcia, Geir Bratlie just to name a few.

He goes over the original method and even shows you a video of how he used to perform it.

He then tells you how it evolutionalized from the way it started into what it is now. you really get a sense of the tweaks and thought process that went into this.

Next he takes you into his kitchen and gives you pointers on what types of glasses to use.

Next you are treated to Phase 1 of the routine, followed by Phase 2, and then Phase 3.

All the phases get stronger and stronger from a lay perspectice, and look like the coin is really penetrating the cup.

Rick goes over immense detail to make sure that you get it down perfect in all 3 phases.

There are also Alternate phases that you may choose to use on their own or as an extra piece from the 3 phases, or substituting for one of the phases.

I personally didn't really much care for the alternate phases, as I feel the phases he has setup are great, and are good enough to do in performance, but some may opt for doing one of the alternate phases.

He then proceeds to do the effect with a coffee mug, which is a lot harder to do, but still possible.

You can also do this with a Starbucks cup as well, and that is covered.

At the end, he goes over all the subtleties you should know to sell the effect.

You even get to see him play a bit of piano, and some hoops, and everyhting he states in this section is true, and all fits in to magic.

I like it how you can take other items from life and tie them in to magic to make a point, great job!

All in all, this download is really great, and if you do coins, loved the trailer, need something new, or love coin in glass plot, or simply want to learn something new, this is for you.

After talking to Rick, the magic world is such a small world, as I used to live in Vegas, and Rick is really good friends with 2 really great magicians and friends of mine.

Download: 1 hour instruction 10/10
Quality: 10/10
Teaching: 10/10
Clarity: 10/10
Effect: 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10 The only reason I took off 0.5 points is because I felt the alternate phases werent necessary from my POV; but in reality, some may use them.

Great job Rick!

Keep up the good work man.

Thanks

Alex
How difficult will this be for someone who is not a coin person but is willing to put in the work?
Stucky, thanks for posting this and BMWguy, thanks for the review.

I watched the demo, but with all the stop/start jerkiness, I didn't see anything that would make me order. If it's brilliant/the best, it was lost on me.

I always click on demos wanting to like them. I'm also forgiving knowing they want to avoid reverse engineering if no gaff/prop is needed. But if it fools/entertains spectators, then a performance with a camera friendly angle to avoid reverse engineering would have been better ( for me ).

I like Theory11, but this didn't do it for me.
Barts,

This is not that hard, if you are willing to practice a bit, you will get it, even if you arent a coin person.

Trust me.

Alex
There are a few moments in the trailer that look super visual. If it's no gaffs and just clever sleights I think it's a winner. Impromptu magic for the win!
I REALLY like the look of this may need to pick this up
How anglely is it?
Rick can weigh in he seems like a pretty decent guy. I bought the download. He presents some alternative but this is more or less a face on trick.
Alex,

Thanks for the reply. Seems like this is the month for coin through thing effects.

Take Care,
Bart
[quote]
On 2012-10-27 01:04, barts185 wrote:
How difficult will this be for someone who is not a coin person but is willing to put in the work?
[/quote]

Nothing is hard for someone willing to put in the work know matter how novice you r.
This is pretty much my glass through coins handling, but in reverse.

I'm not saying he stole it from me. I'm saying he is performing backwards.

DD
At that price he could at least include a gaff.

DD
I'm really tempted by this one
Looks pretty devious to figure out and Rick Lax + Theory11 means quality
[quote]
On 2012-10-26 18:14, BMWGuy wrote:
Hey Stucky,
Everything in the routine is very practical, and this is probably the best coins to glass effect I have ever come acress.
Great job Rick!
Keep up the good work man.
Thanks
Alex
[/quote]
Best coin "TO" glass to me was the CPalm method that I learned from david stone and its a heck of a worker cant fail even if you want to , and angles...no worries at all
BMWGuy "filter" looks like coins "THRU" glass best or not...dont know, never played with that plot
ps : the trailer is weird...and the trick is over priced I think
I wish he'd put out a DVD with multiple effects rather than 20 for each...he's got solid stuff
Hey Everyone. Rick Lax here. Great discussion going. Perhaps I can add to it a bit. Here goes:

BMW: So glad you’re digging the trick! I hope everyone who gets Filter is as happy with it as you are.

Barts185: Some phases of FILTER are easier than others, so if you get the download, I’m sure you’ll find some effects/phases at your level. Then again, if you’re willing to put in the work, I think you can get this trick down.

LukeBrady: You can’t perform FILTER with somebody standing behind you. Also, the third phase is angly…which is why I’ve included an alternative third phase that is not angly. I perform that one in public all the time.

MaXiMoN and MagicBrent: I know $20 ain’t cheap. I know that every time I go to my car and fill up the gas tank. $20 is a lot nowadays. But keep in mind what you’re getting for that: I’ve worked on this trick for years. And in the past six months, I worked with great minds like Bizzaro, Calen Morelli, Justin Flom and Jimmy Fingers to perfect the phasing and routining. And then I worked with Theory11 to shoot this thing with the highest-possible production quality. The download’s quality is every bit as good as the trailers. Honestly, it might be the best-produced instant download out there (in terms of production value). So, yes, $20 is a real investment, but I promise you that if you make the investment, you’ll be happy with what you get for it.

-Rick
Too bad: It seems T11 only accepts credit cards and no pay pal. Though this effect is great I certainly will not get myself a credit card to buy it.
(At least here in germany everything is normally still payed (and payable) via cash or bank transaction. So I have no credit card.)
[quote]
On 2012-10-28 15:36, MagicBrent wrote:
I wish he'd put out a DVD with multiple effects rather than 20 for each...he's got solid stuff
[/quote]

I wish a lot of people would do this but it's the consumers who let it get this way. Multi-trick DVDs no longer sell as well as one offs. (unless you are a huge name)
Yeah, that's what I've been told, too. I've asked about putting out multi-trick DVD, but been told one offs sell better.
But practically, I'm not sure how a multiple trick DVD would work given that it taught me one hour to teach this trick properly...If I were to teach ten....God...that'd go on a long time.

[quote]
On 2012-10-29 01:45, Stucky wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I wish a lot of people would do this but it's the consumers who let it get this way. Multi-trick DVDs no longer sell as well as one offs. (unless you are a huge name)
[/quote]
Penguin has the FIlter DVD

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3814

Anyone been using it?
[quote]
On 2013-11-14 16:13, Zombie Magic wrote:

Anyone been using it?
[/quote]

Judging by the 63 reviews on Theory11, looks like some people have. Very proud of this trick. Looking back at my time with Theory11...all the tricks I put out...this one, I think, by far, is the best. And, yeah, happy to share it with the Penguin audience now: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3814
[quote]
On 2013-11-14 16:13, Zombie Magic wrote:

Anyone been using it?
[/quote]

Judging by the 63 reviews on Theory11, looks like some people have. Very proud of this trick. Looking back at my time with Theory11...all the tricks I put out...this one, I think, by far, is the best. And, yeah, happy to share it with the Penguin audience now: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3814
I wish to add or correct that many of Rick's individual effects are at a VERY affordable, "impulse buy," "fill your card," type of price. I've bought multiple and I am generally very pleased. I believe his price/quality ratio is actually VERY much on the side of the consumer. When he puts out a 20 dollar effect that looks this great, I think it's worth giving it a shot.

I do have a question though. I want to know if a big magic moment has been edited from the demo or if what you see is what you get. I'm seeing more and more of the former: the camera drifts away from the stack of cards as the performer dumps his palmed cards on the stack, the false transfer occurred 20 seconds before the camera started rolling, etc.

I'm not a coin guy, so I have no idea of the method, and really have no idea what I'm stepping into beyond "Nest of Wallets" or "Scotch and Soda."
[quote]
On 2013-11-14 20:43, Robvs wrote:
I wish to add or correct that many of Rick's individual effects are at a VERY affordable, "impulse buy," "fill your card," type of price. I've bought multiple and I am generally very pleased. I believe his price/quality ratio is actually VERY much on the side of the consumer. When he puts out a 20 dollar effect that looks this great, I think it's worth giving it a shot.

I do have a question though. I want to know if a big magic moment has been edited from the demo or if what you see is what you get. I'm seeing more and more of the former: the camera drifts away from the stack of cards as the performer dumps his palmed cards on the stack, the false transfer occurred 20 seconds before the camera started rolling, etc.

I'm not a coin guy, so I have no idea of the method, and really have no idea what I'm stepping into beyond "Nest of Wallets" or "Scotch and Soda."
[/quote]

Hey Rob! I think I can answer the question: In the DVD, I teach a couple different ways to perform Filter. There is no one method. You'll learn 4 or 5 different ways to put a coin through a cup. There are no false transfers (which are popular in other coin-through-glass routines), and no camera tricks were used in the demo....but ultimately, if you want to see what it looks like in person, with no fancy camera stuff, check out the third video here. (The one on the far right.)

That's just me performing for my iPad with no fancy camera work.

And, yes, I realize the price is more expensive here... :/ The reason is that so many different handling are taught.

But if you're into the impulse buy stuff...I know in the coming weeks Penguin will be putting out more tricks with different price points...some pretty inexpensive, Let me know if you have any more questions.
This looks great. I must of over looked it. Anybody have any more reviews? Love everthing Rick puts out.
It is a good trick, it is not technically hard but good magic presentation skills are required for the trick to be effective. Hard to say more without tipping method. I will admit that the combination of techniques employed had me a little fooled when I first saw the promo video and I have been doing magic for a long time. Although he teachs several variations the angles are best with people clearly in front of you, not just for exposure but for the effectivness of the trick. I also have to admit I have never performed this trick, maybe the new attention will make me reconsider.
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 12:25, Xcath1 wrote:
It is a good trick, it is not technically hard but good magic presentation skills are required for the trick to be effective. Hard to say more without tipping method. I will admit that the combination of techniques employed had me a little fooled when I first saw the promo video and I have been doing magic for a long time. Although he teachs several variations the angles are best with people clearly in front of you, not just for exposure but for the effectivness of the trick. I also have to admit I have never performed this trick, maybe the new attention will make me reconsider.
[/quote]

Yeah, I hear ya about the angles. For the third phase, which is the really angle sensitive one, if I've got people who aren't right directly in front of me, I do the alternative third phase, which looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuR1w_mHuEY

Just as deceptive, I think. Less visual, but more impossible because your hand is so clearly shown clean at the end.
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 12:09, MR Effecto wrote:
This looks great. I must of over looked it. Anybody have any more reviews? Love everthing Rick puts out.
[/quote]

Thanks, MR Effecto. If you've liked my past Theory11 stuff, I do think you'll like this. It's my favorite of all my t11 releases. But it's harder than the downloads I've put out through Penguin. If you like those...stay tuned another week or so...cause I've got more Penguin downloads coming out (3 of which are easy, 2 of which are hard).
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 18:05, ricklaxmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 12:25, Xcath1 wrote:
[/quote]

Yeah, I hear ya about the angles. For the third phase, which is the really angle sensitive one, if I've got people who aren't right directly in front of me, I do the alternative third phase, which looks like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuR1w_mHuEY

Just as deceptive, I think. Less visual, but more impossible because your hand is so clearly shown clean at the end.
[/quote]

Dam you Rick. More of my cash gone. Great video.
Message: Posted by: SociallyAwkwardPenguin (Dec 6, 2013 06:15PM)
[quote]
[/quote]

He makes much more money releasing single effects.
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 19:15, SociallyAwkwardPenguin wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, everyone knows the real money is in releasing magic effects.

As far as I know, this is the only effect of his that is $20. And it's an hour-long. That seems perfectly reasonable.
All the rest of his effects are under $20 with the exception of Vertigo which is $24.95.
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 19:31, Joe Roberts wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

As far as I know, this is the only effect of his that is $20. And it's an hour-long. That seems perfectly reasonable.
[/quote]

Ha! Yeah, the reason I'm not using my law degree and am instead thinking up magic tricks and writing stories for newspapers is the mad, mad money. And the women and flashy cars. For more thoughts on how much money I'm making at magic and my decision to pursue magic and writing as opposed to practicing law (after going through school), check in with my (attorney) father. He'll tell ya all about it.
Ha Rick
I do several coin thru glass effect's.
But there all gimmicked in some way.
I alway's have loved doing a trick with
borrowed item's.Once learned you have
something for life.This look's real good.
And I am a coin guy.So I think this will
be going in my act.
Todd
I don't know about the money and flashy cars but I've seen the penguin vids and she doesn't look like a lawyers girlfriend.
Rick,
I'm not much of a coin person, but I have this one and it is awesome! I would say this is one of if not the best coin routine!

It took me next to no time at all to learn the moves perfectly. For some reason, they look harder than they are. And, they are really impressive looking!

Definitively worth the price and thanks to you for making the decision to pursue magic instead of professional legal bs.

Thanks.

KJ
[quote]
On 2013-12-07 03:39, ricklaxmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-12-06 19:31, Joe Roberts wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha! Yeah, the reason I'm not using my law degree and am instead thinking up magic tricks and writing stories for newspapers is the mad, mad money. And the women and flashy cars. For more thoughts on how much money I'm making at magic and my decision to pursue magic and writing as opposed to practicing law (after going through school), check in with my (attorney) father. He'll tell ya all about it.
[/quote]

you can probably pass as a hollywood actor.
I got this for Christmas and now I just found it revealed on Youtube. I should have just watched this video and save my mom some money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTJh8HRDIk

Please watch the first 2 1/2 minutes of the video before replying to this. You'll seen why.
Lol. Awesome.
Hat to pull up an old thread but why is this no longer sold on Penguin?

And is there anyplace you can get it?
[quote]On Jan 21, 2016, Kuroth wrote:
Hat to pull up an old thread but why is this no longer sold on Penguin?

And is there anyplace you can get it? [/quote]

https://store.theory11.com/products/filter-by-rick-lax
[quote]On Jan 27, 2014, OldManGloom wrote:
I got this for Christmas and now I just found it revealed on Youtube. I should have just watched this video and save my mom some money.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTJh8HRDIk

Please watch the first 2 1/2 minutes of the video before replying to this. You'll seen why. [/quote]

Oh my. That is hilarious.