(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite Wallet for Card in Wallet
I was just curious to see what are you favorite wallets for Card in Wallet. Balducci? Kaps? Mullica? or any others I haven't mentioned. Any pros/cons?
Thanks,
Seth
See http://www.leatherjerry.com
The best wallets around bar none. :donut6:
My personal favorite wallet is with out a doubt the Mullica Wallet.

The reason is that you don't have to palm the card... which you mostly have to do with other wallets.
:firedevil:
Pimpernell Notecase - by Peter Scarlett
Yep http://www.leatherjerry.com
bye for now
Steve Dela
The O'Connell "no palm" wallet is like the Mullica without the second wallet. Superb..But lately I have been using David Regal's "Special Delivery" envelope. It looks so ordinary and the visual display is a killer!
Kaps, it really does kick butt.

Florian Rago
I like "The Wallet" from Roy Roth
http://www.rarmagic.com
It is a natural looking Kaps type wallet which can be handled very freely. As regards palming I follow Mike Close's advice and use a bottom palm which then allows you to put the card in the wallet on the right-hand side (and it is face down when it comes out). I use a ploy of asking the spectator to take the cards back, shuffle them and then split them into 3 piles. Whilst he is doing that you have plenty of time to load the wallet as everyone is following the spectator's shuffling and cutting. You can chose your own method on how to go on from there. I also use a face down "YOUR CARD" card sticking out of the wallet for those who are quick to say "it's going to be in the wallet." This throws them and the appearance of the signed card under the zipper comes as a surprise.
I agree with the Kaps on Fire wallet. It's great!!!
I like kaps too
Mirage wallet
I like the Mirage wallet too, but the gaff sticks more often than I would like.
[quote]
On 2003-11-02 04:47, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
I like the Mirage wallet too, but the gaff sticks more often than I would like.
[/quote]

I don't find that at all. Maybe you need a new one?
I have only used it a few weeks. I might just need to break it in a little more. Just not sure if that will make it better or worse.
I am very happy with the Malloy Hip wallet, which is basically a very smartly made Kaps wallet
Seth, you might want to try the search function. This topic has been discussed many times here at the Café. Check out:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=586&forum=113&46

for just one example. There are others.
I've had much success with the Mirage Wallet.
[quote]
On 2003-11-02 06:53, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
I have only used it a few weeks. I might just need to break it in a little more. Just not sure if that will make it better or worse.
[/quote]

I had no experiences like this, and I didn't need to break it in at all. It's a simple mechanism that should fuction easily. Contact the place you bought it and complain I'd say ;)
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 18:32, DamienKeen wrote:
Mirage wallet
[/quote]

Where can I get the Mirage Wallet from?

:firedevil:
For a no palm wallet, my favorite is:
"Pimpernel Notecase" & "Instant Pro"
Gerard
Thoughts Have Wings
:cuteangel:
I have a Jerry O'Connell Basic Wallet. It's by far the best wallet I've ever used. It loads like a dream and it requires no reset.
I ****really**** like Steve Draun's Real Man Wallet. It is hip sized and even to magicians it looks like a regular wallet. I use it for my cards, money and id's, and having a card appear there in the sealed compartment is AMAZING to spectators, because they know that the wallet is a regular one =)
The one I have used professionally for many years is the Fred Kaps wallet...specifically the one made by The Camirand Academy Of Magic. It is not "long" like most card to wallets...it is shorter and thus looks like a very nice (i.e. real) breast pocket wallet. The quality is perfect and I would highly recommend it.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
Seth,

I shopped around for a CTW effect for months. During that time I owned (and traded away) a Mirage Wallet and the Instant Pro.

I had read every Café review and on-line dealer description on CTW effects. Then I found a combination that works great for my needs. It's based on a Mesika style wallet, (hip pocket with zippered coin compartment, where the signed card is found folded) but it goes one important step further.

Gerry Griffin of California Magic offers a combination of Mesika style wallet AND a professionally produced video which includes a full demo and detailed instructions, literally from start to finish. This CTW offers a quality wallet, with pro handling taught painlessly. (it's not a no-palm, but it's easy to learn using the video)

To see the description and a demo video, go to:
http://www.calmagic.com/index2.html
and click on "The Stuff We're Famous For" located to the top left. The first item you'll see is The Card To Wallet Mystery.

Yes, there are LOTS of good wallets available. Yes, you can buy a Mesika style wallet for less than this $45 package from California Magic. But for me, the video is certainly worth the difference.

And as a final note; the only association I have with California Magic and Gerry Griffin is as a satisfied customer.
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Nov 10, 2003 12:11PM)
I have also found recent success with the Mullica wallet...and I'm thinking of getting anthony miller's new wallet
I went to the store and found a cheap wallet with the right compartments. It's the right size - not those big, big grandpa wallet types.

A razorblade, thread, a needle and half an hour can do wonders. This way I got the wallet exactly as I wanted it, and I save a lot of $ too :jump:

Jesper
[quote]
On 2003-11-10 12:52, Indy Ron wrote:
Gerry Griffin of California Magic offers a combination of Mesika style wallet AND a professionally produced video which includes a full demo and detailed instructions, literally from start to finish.
[/quote]

I'm not familiar with the wallet, although it does look nice on the WEB site.

On the other hand, the handling in the on-line demo is horrendous! I don't even know where to begin, but I'll try. Doing the trick with the cards spread face up the way he does makes no sense from a presentational standpoint, and it's not even necessary from a methodological standpoint. The way he loses the card in the deck is unnautral and unconvincing. I'm not slamming the wallet, just the handling.

Larry D.
My favorite no palm wallet after a recent purchase is
Peter Scarlett's "Pimpernel Notecase" It also has many other usees (8 outs)
I use it also for my favorite mental effect "Heirloom"

My other favorite..."Instant Pro" by John Cornelieus
Gerard

For a palm to wallet in envelope; my vote goes to:
"The O'Connell Plus Wallet" 3 ways to load! Real easy!
Beautifully made to last a lifetime!
Gerard
Jerry O'Connell's wallet
I made my own. I use the mercury card fold and it works perfect.
Escolano Wallet, I have the Balducci style. Absolutely beautiful!
What about the BMK wallet?
What about Allen Okawa Wallet
Allen Okawa's wallet is no longer available; Anybody who owns one is very lucky, I believe he and Larry Jennings developed it back in the seventies;
BWind
Does anyone know if the StockHolder doubles as a card in wallet? Specifically, does it have a loader?

I am trying to keep things simple and combine as much as possible into 1 wallet. The choices out there are dizzying.
The multipurpose BMK Wallet.

:xmas:
I prefer the Mullica wallet for all the sight gags you can do before going into the second inner wallet. (I have a giant condom exposed.) I just like to watch the look on peoples faces when you don't even acknowledge it and just produce the signed card from the inside wallet.

BUT I have always liked Shawn Farquhars card from wallet version best. He produces a card from an ordinary wallet and the card comes out of the plastic family photo windows that come with all wallets. A very natural presentation that connects with the spectator.
[quote]
On 2004-04-14 19:15, ustaad wrote:
The multipurpose BMK Wallet.

:xmas:
[/quote]
Hi,

Thanks, I have looked at that but it is very bulky. I don't need that much in there! Just a loadable breast coat pocket that is small enough to use in a hip pocket occasionally.

I have been corresponding with Jerry O'Connell (very helpful, great guy). He has pulled his Small Plus wallet. He recommends his Large Plus instead. I like it, but the hip pocket issue is still there. May need to buy 2.

Decisions, decisions...
I prefer to use the Mullica wallet for card to wallet, a routine based around that of Eugene Burgers.
I also carry a Kaps wallet just in case.
Mullica wallet has suited me well
How about "Pasteboard Police", and the wallet (and badge) that comes with it? Anybody else using this besides me?

Steve Thomas
Gotta vote for Mr. Mullica's wallet on this one. the card gets to the impossible location on a total off beat, under their noses. It has served me well!
I recently purchased Magic Makers' 'Professional card to Wallet.' A hip wallet that seems good quality to me and for a reasonable price.
Any thoughts on your recent purchase, ollason? Is this one where the card ends up folded inside the wallet?
Re: Pasteboard Police Card to Wallet

Hi Steve,

I use my Pasteboard Police. I even sent Tom my routine entitled, "The Case of the Counterfeit Queen."

Regards,

Paul Green
I’ve bought quite a few wallets but sold them all except Bendix Bombshell (Good quality and many routines possible).
Phantom of the Wallet....no-palm and my favorite.
I use a really nice one which includes Kaps, Mullica and O'Connel. So I can switch from palm to no-palm whenever I feel to. I bought it on a convention, So I can't really recall the name of it.
I'm a wallet afficionado and TODAY
for a no palm, I have to agree with zauber..."Phantom
Of The Wallet" my favorite! For a palm..."KB Balducci Wallet" which I purchased from Hank Lee's for only $75.00
Gerard
Steve Draun's Real Man's Wallet is nice and it works well. For a more formal situation, which is where I work most of the time, a LePaul wallet is what I use. I can also reccoment the Forbes Portfolio. I saw it at MAGIC...LIVE! and I have to say it is the best one I have ever seen. I'll be getting one soon!
[quote]
On 2004-09-07 11:12, MagicCarisio wrote:
I'm a wallet afficionado and TODAY
for a no palm, I have to agree with zauber..."Phantom
Of The Wallet" my favorite! For a palm..."KB Balducci Wallet" which I purchased from Hank Lee's for only $75.00
Gerard
[/quote]

Gerard,

Since you are a "wallet afficionado". I am presuming that you own both the Mullica and the BKM Wallet. If so, would you please be so kind as to compare the "M portion of the BKM with the straight Mullica wallet and also compare the "B" portion of the BKM wallet with the staight Balducci wallet. Please feel free to PM me if you think it might be more appropriate.

Thanks.

Mike
I recently purchased the Garnier Wallet. I love it so far.

Regan
I have the Mullica (my first), then the Mirage, But the one I use most is The expert Card to Wallet by Randy Wakeman. It's smaller than most Kaps type wallets and works very smoothly. My second choice would have to go to the Mirage Wallet!
My Elite Garnier Wallet came with a Mullica style wallet also. I haven't used it yet in performance. It is fun playing around with it though. I will probably work up a routine and try it out.

Regan
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 13:02, WayneNZ wrote:
[/quote]

WITHOUT QUESTION ! !
[quote]
On 2005-01-14 17:39, Spinnato wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 13:02, WayneNZ wrote:
[/quote]

WITHOUT QUESTION ! !
[/quote]

I agree! 100% the best around.

Jon
Love the Mullica Wallet... Ain't no heat on it, at least if you're comfortable with the prop... and the look in their eyes... that's what you do this for, right?

Michael Carolina
Card to wallet is a classic. I don't think it matters if it's a palm one, or no palm, as long as it's magical for the auidence.

I think magicians should use a wallet because of it's audience reaction. If they choose it because they don't like to plam, then it's wrong. I wish new magicians would be taught in a different way. Too many teachers tell how difficult sleights are. When I've taught a class, I say " Let's learn an effect that has the easiest sleight in magic. Please don't be fooled that this trick isn't good beacuse it's so easy to do".

I then palm the card and laugh and tell them " sorry, this is so easy, it makes me laugh when I teach it".

They 'think" it's easy and concentrate on the magic as the fear isn't there!
The BKM wallet, but I also found a great wallet sold by a street merchant that is ungaffed & allows for a load similar to that to a Mullica wallet w/o any alterations to the wallet, additionally it is always ready & loaded for KOllosal Killer.... The cost 10 bucks.
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 12:44, SethHoward wrote:
I was just curious to see what are you favorite wallets for Card in Wallet. Balducci? Kaps? Mullica? or any others I haven't mentioned. Any pros/cons?
Thanks,
Seth

[/quote]

Seth, when are you and Jim going to release the Mercury Wallet?
I must second the Malloy Hip Pocket Card to Wallet!
I use this ALL the time!-since it is my "everyday" wallet I can perform at a momments notice!
I also enjoy making someones credit card disappear and appear in my wallet!
Very versitile and made with supreme quaility!