(Close Window)
Topic: My Thoughts on Patrick Redford's Hexagon
I just had the opportunity to see the finished copy of Redford's new book Hexagon. It is stunning. So, I wanted to tell you a little bit about it and why I'm sad he is releasing some of the material.

In my shows, I try my best to only include one card routine. Since I was originally a card magician, I seem to struggle to find quality material for stage and walk-around that isn't cards. I'm pleased to say that I've found multiple routines in Hexagon that allow me to achieve the same effects with cards, but with different objects.

I have been performing Time Turner as my opener for about a year, and he recently updated it with a new way to start the effect. It is basically b'wave with markers. He holds only one marker in his hand, but has the audience imagine that there are four different colored markers in his hand. The audience eliminates three markers leaving him with say the Green marker. He opens his hand, and he has been holding the green marker the entire time. That marker can then be used for the remainder of the show which is a constant reminder of what took place earlier in the show.

He has a version of Tossed Out Deck with watches. This routine requires no set up and the watch can be borrowed. This once again is another great way to remove cards from your act.

Instead of pick a card, he has a pick a photo. He asks a person to scroll through the pictures on their phone and to stop at any one. Redford is able to describe the person's photo in detail.

Anyways, those are just three of the effects that I have been performing since reading his book and attending his lectures. I suggest checking it out. He is a nice guy, so I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any of your questions. Or PM me if you have any questions about the practicality of his routines. The book is available for pre-order here http://www.patrickredford.com.
I admit to being excited for this release. I have held a very high opinion of Patrick for some time and I don't think I have ever read anything of his that didn't get me thinking.
Wow, thanks for that (Both of you); very kind.

I'm pretty excited about this release. I'll have a bunch at the upcoming Mindvention. Just got notice that they'll be on my door step by Wednesday of this coming week!

This is some of my very favorite material. I'm looking forward to the community response.
Anything by Mr Redford is a must have, cant wait for the release!
So, if I understood correctly the review, if you're a card magician and don't want to put too much card trick in his show it's a must have! :)
But if I'm not? lol
I was hanging out with Patrick, Dan Fishman and Dan Huffman (Wee Man) last night after the Harry Anderson lecture, a few of the pieces from Hexagon were demonstrated...all I can say is awesome...plus to top it all off, he used MY watch for everything and still blew me away!

-Jakob
Looks like a winner. Time Turner especially interesting....Can't wait for more reviews.
These are starting to ship out today!
Good cuz I preordered one :)

All your stuff is gold
Just got this...wow. I know this is just another post that will surely be lost in a sea of positive posts. But I just want to drop a line and say this is good stuff!! I donít think I have ever bought anything from PR that I have event felt a second thought on. I carry his stuff every place. One of his routines in heptagon even got me out of a ticket!!!!

Keep up the good work Mr.Redford

G
Couldn't find anything on the web page?
Patrick Redford is an amazing performer...and a diabolical thinker! He will pull the rug out from under you. I can't wait to get his newest work.

I have all his manuscripts to-date, and I've never been disappointed by the routines he publishes. Why? Because they are routines he works, reworks, and then actually peforms. That's honest value for our hard-earned money.

A.J.
Takeachance. It is on my website. Simply go take a visit and hit Products. You'll find it. You can also navigate to it by clicking the shape series banner found on the main page.

This was a total sell out at Mindvention. I am now down to the last small batch from the first printing.
Got it Patrick,many thanks
Is this available through dealers or only though Patrick.I love everything Patrick puts out he is a genius.
Carl,

At the moment this is only available through me. Thanks so much for your kind words.
I have it on good authority that Col and myself may make an appearance in this? Might this be true?
Of course you reprise/continue your role.

Sadly I am sold out of the first batch of these. Man - these went fast!
When will the next batch be available Patrick .
I may be taking another batch of pre-orders soon. As these do tend to fly this might be the way to go.

I'll keep everyone posted via my usual channels.
Can I pre- order now don't want to miss out again.
I'm glad I preordered - its excellent material like always - I just want to know what I got to do to appear in a book of Patrick's someday... seems you need a Tardis, be trained in hypnotic voice shadow control, duplicate yourself and other things...

I like the metastory that ties all the comics together....

Like usual, I took the first few effects and starting using them right away... they are worked out so nicely already... love the distance effects the most.

Bravo sir (again)
Finally had a chance to digest this.

Of the five comics this is my favorite cover design. If you haven't seen it (and I'm sure you have) the cover depicts a wrist watch. The numbers have been replaced with letters that spell the books title: "HEXAGON." The back cover promises six effects and claims inside reveals the secret to obtaining super powers on "your wrist watch." While this isn't exactly true inside there are some very clever effects. Despite the back cover listing six effects I counted nine. If you count all the other layered insights between the covers of Hexagon there are probably even more. The book is only 45 pages but packed. You'll find yourself reading and re-reading it just to further appreciate those small details.

Onto the effects....

Time Warp

This effect is one of the hidden unlisted bits that Redford seems to usually hide. It is an impromptu version of the now classic Time Machine style effect. I mean that to be the mechanical watch not actual time travel. Basically someone names any time of day and you show that you've previously set your watch to the named time. I'm not sure I'll be using this but do find the thinking involved and the introduction of the "limiting technique" good food for thought.

Ring Watch Wallet

This is one I've already used a few times for friends over the phone. Essentially someone mixes his ring watch and wallet into a random order and you're able to direct him to replace them in the right places (pocket, wrist, finger). I've been hoping for this to go "wrong" just to see how it plays (if you have the book you know what I mean).

Tossed Out Time

Reading the title I didn't think I'd find much new thought. Patrick really floored me with some very unique thinking on this classic plot. His "point and tap" technique for revealing the three different thoughts is very interesting and I look forward to putting it into practice. The closing idea also cleans up what is usually an issue with this kind of routine and makes it playable in a close-up situation. I will be using this.

Time Turner

Out of everything in the book, this is my favorite. That's all I'll say about it.

Savant Soup

This is probably my least favorite of the bunch. Essentially it's a day for any date except you're helping someone else name the right day for whatever date is called. While I see this working as directed ... why not just teach someone to do it for real? Maybe someone else who has this will love it but for me, it didn't do much for me (anyone else?).

Chronometer

In this effect you're able to set a borrowed watch to the exact same time it was set to moments before by someone else despite never seeing that time on the watch previously. This method is very clever though I've been a bit nervous to try it. I will get around to it.

21st Century Photo-reading

With this technique you describe a random photograph in a borrowed cell phone that you appear to have no previous knowledge of. I did this for my wife and she accused me of peeking somehow! This is great fun and I will be doing this again the next chance I get.

The Impromptu Moment

While I haven't tried this, I don't see why it wouldn't work. When out to eat with a friend you can set a borrowed phone's alarm clock to go off at the precise moment the food arrives. It's a very bold method.

The appendix has two more interesting quickies. One of these is for use

The Dooms Day Rule

This is my first introduction to this style of thinking on this effect. I like this much better than Savant Soup and would find teaching this to others far more interesting. I'll be working on this years Dooms Day.

Psychologically Forcing a Thought of Time

This is a quick psychological force/divination of a thought of time that Patrick says he performs along side Ring Watch Wallet. I've tried this three times now and hit two of the three trials.

All in all this is a great book. I'm also pleased that I now have a complete set and have a sub-story that reads from start to finish. If you don't have the other books in the series I don't think you'll find you're missing much as I imagine the existing story will seem to stand on its own. I'm pleased to have a complete "Shape series." Patrick... will we see an Octagon?

If you haven't already gotten yours, don't miss the chance.
I wish Patrick would hurry and put the next batch out this sounds like a real winner.
Good news! Those of you that had messaged me will be happy to know that there were 30 more Hexagons hiding away in an overflow box that wasn't accounted for! This means I have just 30 left.
Message: Posted by: SubconsciousSymbols (Nov 24, 2012 10:59AM)
Hey Patrick,

just ordered this on the strength of these reviews and the quality of your previous works. Hope I got my payment in in time for one of the 30 copies. My email/paypal is asherwilson@live.co.uk, could you let me know if you received payment and when you're likely to dispatch it.

Looking forward to reading this!

Aw
Just made a devotional to the God of Paypal.
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 16:46, Anansi wrote:
Just made a devotional to the God of Paypal.
[/quote]

This is just the perfect thing for someone named Anansi to say.
I have just finished this. I recall a month or two back that there was a thread discussing effects to do with time or watches...something like that.

Patrick dropped in on that thread and teased us with Hexagon. Being familiar with Patrick's thinking, I stopped looking for other effects and sat patiently waiting for this. He did not mislead. There are almost too many options to choose from.

This publication has already been thoroughly reviewed, so apart from taking a moment to echo the sentiment that Time Turner is fine thinkIng, I won't rehash what has been said already.

What I will say is that if you own Stephen Yachanin's Thought Association Card, you should buy this for Ring, Watch, Wallet. Then figure out how to blend the two. I am not going to say any more than that - I think what I've stumbled upon is too strong....but I will point you in the right direction.

Overall, this is a good buy.

I also enjoyed Colin and Ken's cameos. I like it when there are inside references and a sense of community.

So, a big thanks to Patrick for his great thinking!

Best,

Atlas
Atlas...tell me more about this card and how you're combining things!
Tincture, I apologize for how vague the following is, but I don't want to reveal methods of any of the effects involved. But imagine doing Thought Association Card with no card at all, using the items laid out on the table instead...and then revealing not only the word they were thinking of, but what was where as described in Hexagon. A little tinkering can make this work with commonplace items carried on a person.

The double reveal goes from one solid revelation directly into another.
That's pretty interesting. I appreciate you being vague in an open forum. You have my mind going now.
If you are doing it over the phone (or with your back turned and a quick mind), you can present the same again with more items using an effect by Banachek. I love being able to apparently repeat things :)
Are you speaking of his russian roulette?
I just want to give a shout out to Patrick for his recent Penguin Lecture. I watched it and it was superb. I don't own Hexagon but it appears he demonstrated many of the ideas from this book on the lecture, so it sounds like a good resource for some of you to take a look at if you're wanting video demonstrations of certain Hexagon routines. Great lecture Patrick -

Ben
Tincture - I think it is called Telephone Bullet Catch, but yes, it sounds as though we are on the same page.

Best,

Atlas
Message: Posted by: SubconsciousSymbols (Dec 6, 2012 07:48AM)
Atlas, I own both Hexagon and Thought Association card (not a huge fan of T.A.Card, still seems too contrived, me and a friend are working on what we believe to be a better chunnel method without restrictive categories that some people would struggle with)

Would love to hear about your idea/addition and perhaps share thoughts. PM?

Aw
Message: Posted by: SubconsciousSymbols (Dec 6, 2012 07:51AM)
I forgot to mention in my last post but...

I will echo everything said before; Patrick's thinking is fresh and innovative (as usual), the effects are fully formed and comprehensively explained, the publication itself is beautiful, I don't want anyone else doing 'Time Turner'. (It's the 'dog's danglies' as we say in the UK).

Aw
Thanks very much and also of course, I'm interested what you folks have done with the Thought card in combination with Hexagon.
Patrick,

I've sent you a PM.

Best,

Atlas
This is my favorite of this series! Usually I buy them and am just in awe of what Patrick can do and inspired by his lateral thinking. This time, I'm using effects right out of the book that I don't feel I have to be a mutant mentalist like Patrick to handle.
Bill,

I am so pleased that you're going to be putting some the material to use. I'm curious, what materials are you going to put to work?

(I Loved your most recent Bend work.)
So far I've been performing Ring, Watch, Wallet and Savant Soup. I love the simplicity of the former and I'm a big fan of the premise of turning audience members into savants (see my Savant Square variation in Subliminal Squares). Savant Soup should be nominated for an award! How on earth did you ever think of it?

I'm looking forward to performing Time Turner and Tossed Out Time. Again, both devilishly clever.
I performed Savant Soup and Ring, Watch, Wallet on a client over the phone yesterday to fantastic response! I have to agree with Bill, Savant Soup is very fun!
[quote]
On 2012-12-17 23:41, Bill Cushman wrote:

Savant Soup should be nominated for an award! How on earth did you ever think of it?

I'm looking forward to performing Time Turner and Tossed Out Time. Again, both devilishly clever.
[/quote]

How did he think of it? ..... Patrick IS a savant.

I love this material. . Getting so much milage out of Time Turner.

Whats next in the comic series, Patrick?
Actually folks Paul wrote me and told me about a very cool subtly he's added to Time Turner that I really love and put to use straight away. With his permission I'd love to share it with folks who are on my mailing list. How do you feel about this, Mr. Shirley.
Would be an honour mate... please, share away!! :)