(Close Window)
Topic: Introducing yourself through mentalism
Hi!

Maybe an odd question, yet I think its rather interesteing. I wonder... we have all been in the situation that you introduce yourself to someone you not know, say in a conference, at a bar or something.. they ask: what do you do.. you say: Im a mentalist.. they: really?? show me something..

see where I'm getting? I have a show, but how to market it in a face to face situation? What do you do in this case?

hopefully my question is clear...let the battle of the brains begin!

/Hĺkan - sweden (with no ice-bears)
How about if rather than saying you are a mentalist, saying something like you try to influence people's thoughts? I think that's quite intriguing and can lead to any number of introductory effects, maybe starting with something simple, perhaps even card based effects before moving to "the real deal"?
Respond, "It's a little hard to explain, but let me show you something that might help."

Then go into something like Perfect Time, Time Machine, or a favorite item using your business card that appears impromptu.

Terry
Yes, I'm into using the business card..something special in mind guys?
Hi Fleischer,

I think it really depends on your character, if you're into using a business card, you can show something like a CT routine, a magic square, any impromptu effect that uses billets, or PK Touches, PK time, Sign Language...etc..

Btw..I don't know about Sweden, but here in Portugal if I say to someone: "I'm a mentalist" they stare at me like I was talking on a weird foreign language :hrmph:
The kind of stuff I like to perform is very casual so usually I don't have a problem when asked that question, I just go into a reading routine or something simple like that where I don't need many props. Using a business card there are two Max Maven routines that come to mind, one is changeling and positive/negative. I've used these before and they work just fine.

Anabelle :giving:
Yeah, Ive been using positive/negative for that purpose.. well, saying mentalist in sweden would generate the question: what is that?? and.. if I say that it is a person that uses extraordinary mental possessions and skills, I could do a magic square..

can someone tell me about the effect in changeling (and maybe give a hint?)

Bruno: please, what is the effect of pk time, pk touches and sign languages?
Message: Posted by: christopher carter (Nov 1, 2003 06:13PM)
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 17:40, Bruno M. wrote:

Btw..I don't know about Sweden, but here in Portugal if I say to someone: "I'm a mentalist" they stare at me like I was talking on a weird foreign language :hrmph:
[/quote]

They mostly do that here in the USA, too.

--Chris
Recently, I was out with a friend and someone asked him what he did for a living his response was, "I live off the kindiness of strangers, who have yet to become friends, and with a smile and a wink, I tell them what they are thinking.....here let me show you......

It was amazing to watch Sir T pull this off, as if it was the most natural thing in the world to be doing, when the whole thing was completed, the person pocketed a business card and arranged for a private meeting.

I myself have not worked it all out, but was given a book to read, for which I am soooooooo greatful for being given, my skills will improve ten fold after reading it.

**One should check out scoring with the zodiac, if you want to meet women......I have had good luck with this one!!

RP
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 18:17, fleischer wrote:
Yeah, Ive been using positive/negative for that purpose.. well, saying mentalist in sweden would generate the question: what is that?? and.. if I say that it is a person that uses extraordinary mental possessions and skills, [/quote]

Fleischer; I would neither walk around telling people that I am a mentalist, nor about extraordinary mental possessions and skills.
At least in this country (and our languages are quite similar) people would not understand what mentalist is. If I told people about extraordinary mental possessions and skills, I probably would get transported to a happy home out in the countyside faster than a greased lightening or at least really be challenged. If the latter happens, you are in BIG trouble.

Do a demonstration, - show them something, there is enough of good, impromptu stuff to have in your arsenal out there.
Then let people make up their mind on to what you are.(...or what they think you are)
If I am being pushed to say something about this, I stress the fact that I have got the same number of senses that most other people but that I might have rehearsed some of them, like what a musician, author or an athlete do. I have also mentioned that my intuition and influence may have bettered by the years.

I like what Chuck Hickok says when he is asked about what he does;
"That's a secret, but I am sure about that you will be amazed"

Sven
[quote]
On 2003-11-01 18:23, fleischer wrote:
Bruno: please, what is the effect of pk time, pk touches and sign languages?
[/quote]

Hi fleischer,
PK Time and PK Touches are two effects by Banachek. They have lot's of threads opened here in the Café. I'm suprised how you don't know them :)
Sign Language is an effect by Doug Dyment, where you 'divine' the zodiac sign of someone. No props, no paper, nothing writen.
All of these effects can be done anywhere without props and nothing written down.
(ok...pk time needs a borrowed watch ;) )
Be warned that, unless you perform in english, you won't be able to use Sign Language as Doug created it. Some adjustment will be required, but if I can do it for portuguese, I'm sure you can also do it for swedish.
He's a member of the Café, PM him if you have any questions about his effect (nick: ddyment I think)