(Close Window)
Topic: Spooky mindreading clip?
Hi fellas,

Posted this request over at, "Penny for your thoughts" and didn't get a reply. Then it struck me, maybe THIS section might be a better place to post such a request.

I'm on the hunt for a short clip of some overly spooky mindreading / mind control.

I'm invisioning zombies stumbling forward, as if being controled or perhaps a scary looking guy giving someone "the look."

I'm looking for a clip of something a bit over the top here. Maybe something from a B movie?

If you have any such clips in your library you would be willing to share or maybe know where I could hunt some thing like that up, it would be most appreciated!

Best,
Scott Raymond
I don't have a clip of it, but there was a great scene with Bela Lugosi in "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein" where the count is putting the whammy on Lou. There are several mind control scenes in that movie as I remember, some with the female assistant being controlled as well. You said you wanted something a bit over the top—this would fill the bill!

-Reg {*}
Thanks Reg, that's the kind of reference I was looking for. I'm going to try and hunt it up!

Scott
Another interesting movie is "Night of the demon" or "Curse of the demon" , Jacques Tourneur's 1957 movie. Available on DVD. Based on M.R.James' novel "casting the runes". A great souce for many weird effects (curses, mind control, spiritualism, witchcraft...) and one of the best fantastic film ever made.
I second The Curator's recommendation of 'Night of the Demon'. Great film, and full of ideas for effects. Also recommend the short stories of M.R. James. 'Doc' Shiels has based several effects round this scholar's work, and there's an effect from 'The best of Spellbinder', too.

You probably already know a sound clip from the movie. During a seance, the medium yells out 'It's in the tress. It's coming!'. A smiley to the first person who identifies its latter use.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
That would be as a strange interpolation in Kate Bush's "The Hounds of Love" I believe...
V :thumbsup:

Well done! If you watch the film, you might agree with me that the phrase now seems incongruous/slightly anachronistic in this scene because of its subsequent use as a sample. Kind of like seeing a chunky 1980's cel phone in 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'. (The great Charles Laughton saying, 'You'll have to speak up Esmerelda, I can't hear you over these bells!')

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
Caleb- you're dead right. I first heard the clip in the Kate Bush track. Then when I first saw "Night of the Demon" it actually jarred and made me chuckle.

Great film though and a masterpiece of building tension without throwing special effects around. The appearance of the demon at the end is actually less frightening than the rest of the film. Often the way.

Thanks for the smiley. :applause:
"v"

You're very welcome. Re. the demon at the end of the film, I believe most, if not all, of these shots were tagged on later by the nervous film company not happy with Tourneur's masterful use of suggestion. Sadly, I don't think there's a 'director's cut'.

Incidentally, if anyone rigs up something like those sparks in the sky (seen in the film) that chase a terrified Dana Andrews through Karswell's wood, then please save me a ticket.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
Scott:

I Walked with a Zombie (1943) - Another Tourneur flick with a misleading title. It's not a goofy B- movie but very atmospheric, with wonderful black and white zombie walking scenes set in the West Indies.

X, also called The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963) - Ray Milland experiments on himself, sees too much. No mind control, but might be some great scenes of him suffering from intense visions.

The Mummy (1932) - Nice closeups of Karloff's eyes as Ardath Bey hypnotizing his long dead princess Anckesen-Amon.

Dracula - (1931) Closeups of Bela Lugosi's eyes. It's hard to see this fresh with all the vampire parodies since then, but still the eyes have it.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Zombies, zombies and more zombies. Some are eating entrails.

Donovan's Brain (1953) - B-movie brain in jar controls scientist. Here's a preview:
http://videodetective.com/home.asp?PublishedID=2117

Dead of Night (1945) - This mix of five scary stories is uneven, but wait until the end, with the ventriloquist's dummy. Yikes!