(Close Window)
Topic: Silk Help - suppliers of unfinished silk
Hi All,

I am looking to buy unfinished black silk - the same weight as we magicians use. I need to buy plenty of this kind of silk (in black) in larger sizes than magicians silks come in.

Can anybody help me with ideas on where to source this?

Thanks,

Ben
Ben,

I tried to email you but the email address given here does not work.

Bob
Rosebrand. Black is one of the hardiest colors to dye in silk.
The termonology is you are looking to buy a "Bolt" of black silk fabric. Fabric is usually made in 45" wide or 54" wide bolts.

If you ever visited a fabric store or department, the material on a flat piece of cardboard, those are bolts.

Just Google "Silk Fabric sold in bolts", there is a lot to learn when dealing with silk. Grades and momme weight is important.
If you buy a bolt, it can be 45- 55 yards in length. Bill is correct in most fabrics are 45 or 54 wide. A few are 36 wide.

Expect to pay probably around $15-$25 a yard for the fabric.

Richard
...however, fabric stores are also willing to cut off the amount you need...so you don't have to get stuck paying for 55 yards of silk if you only need 20
My point of a fabric store was to give an example, I have never seen the type of silk magicians use in a store. Silk for clothing is much heavier then the magic society uses.

In magic we use from 3 momme to 8 momme, weight in silk. The foulard silks are a little heavier, but I do not know what weight that would be.

I think Richard Hughes and Abbott's are the only people that buy silk in Bulk, and dye their own colors. Others buy pre-dyed and pre-hemmed individual silks.

Putting a 1/16 inch French Hem in a silk is very difficult, the Chinese and Japanese seem to have this mastered to perfection.
...and seeing as how they pay their workers 25 cents an hour, it's a wonder they do so well.....
I have 36" wide bolts of 6 momme, 100% Habutae silk, unhemmed and white (undyed), if you want to get it hemmed and dyed.
You might try here.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/habotai.html