(Close Window)
Topic: Dr. Bill's Bend
Didn't see a post here about this and I just wanted to give my thoughts on this brilliant piece.

It's available at:

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/dr-bills-bend.html

Here's the blurb:

[quote]

“I chose to perform "Dr. Bill's Bend" on my television special because I needed a pendulum routine with a distinct ending. My studio audience loved this routine, and so did I. Perhaps I should add it to my live shows at the Waldorf-Astoria? It's that strong.”

-Steve Cohen, The Millionaires' Magician

Imagine using a simple pendulum made from a piece of ribbon and a key (these can all be borrowed) to teach an entire audience to focus their mental powers in ways that will blow their minds! Then imagine what starts happening when keys begin bending in their hands! Dr. Bill’s Bend is pitch perfect as is, or it can be the smash climax to any routine highlighting the wonders of pendulums.

Originally published in David Thiel’s anthology “Pendulum Magic: Routines For Mystery Performers,” Dr. Bill’s Bend has been updated to include Steve Cohen’s very dramatic touches, subtleties from Banachek, as well as ideas and a full presentation from Mauricio Jaramillo. Dr. Bill’s Bend, described by David Thiel as a “system” for creating pendulum effects, can truly be performed for one or one thousand.

There are several variations, including ideas from Andrew Gerard, Tony Razzano and Bob Cassidy. This is a “mini-course” on getting the most out of your pendulum work. Instructions on enhancing your use of suggestion are also part and parcel of Dr. Bill’s Bend!

Buy the ebook that gives you a tried and true audience tested routine that is engaging from start to finish and is both elegantly conceived and executed! Just $25!

"If you've ever wanted to do a metal bending effect, but lacked a well laid out routine with which to present it, Dr. Bill's Bend is a great way to go. It builds logically by employing ideomotor response to help your audience suspend their disbelief as the effect reaches its climax. One can easily see why it was chosen by Steve Cohen to be included in his TV special, “Lost Magic Decoded."

Bruce Bernstein
http://www.brucembernstein.com/

"An absolutely wonderful framework for metal bending. The audience has something to see and a wonderful surprise at the end. This is a reputation maker."

Banachek

"When I first looked at Dr. Bill's Bend, I knew I was holding something very special. There is much more than a simple routine...it's an entire presentation that crackles with fresh thinking. An absolute masterwork."

David Thiel

"Dr. Bill's Bend is, without doubt, one of the best key bending routines I have seen. The presentational script is powerful and there is absolutely no heat on the moment of the bend. Whether you are a Mentalist or a Magician, Dr. Bill's Bend is guaranteed to mesmerize, entertain, and stun any audience."

Peter Duffie
[/quote]

[b]My Thoughts:[/b]

There's just so much I want to say about this. In all honesty, part of my excitement for this piece comes down to my recent interest in pendulum work and anything else to do with the power of suggestion. I abolutely adored Docc Hilford's Dead or Alive pendulum routine and this (in my mind at least) let's me take my pendulum routine to the next level. Docc's routine, while good, didn't have a very logical climax. It ends with a startling revelation of a name which departs from the effect of the pendulum moving. This routine however, ends with a bang that's logical and sure to get astonished gasps.

There are secrets given away in this book that let you take this from a mere trick to a miracle. For example, Bill gives you a method of finding the perfect spectator to use for this routine by way of a single simple question. He also goes into detail about how to encourage the spectators to get engaged in the routine in a way that transforms this into what Bob Cassidy would call a "major effect". You may be tempted to gloss over these finer details, but please understand that these are secrets that can make all the difference.

Another thing I like about this routine is the fact that it can play to small or large audiences without much adjustment. You can however, dress it up for larger audiences as shown in the book by the tips offered from Steve Cohen. Imagine having a 4 minute routine that can play for an entire room full of people AND fit in your pocket.

When you see a professional like Steve Cohen considering putting a new routine in his show, then you know it must be a winner. That's how I judge the material I purchase. I perform 7 shows a week and new material must be able to stand up to real world performances. I can say without a doubt that this routine stands up and stands up well.

-=Chris
Thanks Chris! I'm glad you appreciate this so much.

The feedback has been superb and I've really only just started selling it due to the classic situation of a hard drive crash just as it was completed. And after that was resolved, my email stopped working for 2 days! But all is well now.

A couple of comments. Greg Arce contributed a fantastic idea that isn't mentioned in the ad. It allows for another phase to the ending that is amazing as it is simple. Typical Greg.

Banachek's contribution is a 3-step strategy that can be applied to ANY effect where you want to enhance the perception of physical sensations within the participant's hand. I am already receiving "worth the price of the book" feedback for this alone! Banachek hasn't widely shared this method so I'm very flattered he allowed me to do so in Dr. Bill's Bend.

Have people seen the special? If so what did you think?

I had recorded the show and put it on way past my bedtime. I promptly fell asleep then woke at the very moment Steve was beginning his performance of Dr. Bill's Bend! It was surreal to say the least. I wasn't sure I wasn't dreaming, LOL!
I really like the concept of key bends. Ever since Flexion by Jon Allen.
The problem I have these days is with my hands.
Half the time I don't seem to have enough "oomph" to do the necessary.
And then the other half of the time the *** thing snaps.

Steve
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Nov 15, 2012 07:13AM)
[quote]On 2012-11-15 03:55, Stephen Young wrote:
Half the time I don't seem to have enough "oomph" to do the necessary.
And then the other half of the time the *** thing snaps.[/quote]
Hi Steve,

unfortunately I don't have the time to write a more in-depth review at the moment (I will later), but what I can tell you is that Dr. Bill is aware of both potential issues, discusses them in his manuscript and more than this ... he offers neat and practical solutions - for both, the [i]"oomph"[/i] and the [i]"*** thing snapping"[/i] issue! :)

Cheers
Th.
Well that's good enough for me.

Thank you Thomas

Steve
[quote]
On 2012-11-14 19:53, Bill Cushman wrote:
Thanks Chris! I'm glad you appreciate this so much.

The feedback has been superb and I've really only just started selling it due to the classic situation of a hard drive crash just as it was completed. And after that was resolved, my email stopped working for 2 days! But all is well now.

A couple of comments. Greg Arce contributed a fantastic idea that isn't mentioned in the ad. It allows for another phase to the ending that is amazing as it is simple. Typical Greg.

Banachek's contribution is a 3-step strategy that can be applied to ANY effect where you want to enhance the perception of physical sensations within the participant's hand. I am already receiving "worth the price of the book" feedback for this alone! Banachek hasn't widely shared this method so I'm very flattered he allowed me to do so in Dr. Bill's Bend.

Have people seen the special? If so what did you think?

I had recorded the show and put it on way past my bedtime. I promptly fell asleep then woke at the very moment Steve was beginning his performance of Dr. Bill's Bend! It was surreal to say the least. I wasn't sure I wasn't dreaming, LOL!
[/quote]I saw the special as well as his show at the Waldorf. He is truly one of the best I've ever seen and I've seen many. If you haven't seen his show and want to see a great parlor act I highly recommend it. His rendition of the key bending was excellent as I would have expected. Great effect! Great performer!
Steve
I own the original routine from The Pendulum ebook... and I bought this anyway.
I have a feeling it'll be worth it.

d
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Nov 15, 2012 03:29PM)
I will just say this... Banachek's tip alone is worth the price of the book.
I had totally forgot to mention the Banacheck tip. Not only is it brilliant but it's applicable to more than just this routine!
I'm a huge fan of Bill's thinking, and know I can always count on him for brilliant thoughts and suggestions. I often use Andrew Gerard's, Key Accessories--and love it--but I think I like this even more! The pendulum is something that every mentalist should be utilizing in their shows, and Bill's Bend makes excellent use of it as a visual representation of energy transference. Everything is so well thought out, and the bonus ideas from others really add to the value!

Awesome work, Bill!

Matt
You will never pry key accessories from my fingers.
I love Key Accesory too. Until now, it was my go to bend and I'm sure I'll still perform it. No one is going to pry KA from your fingers, John (or mine). I'd just like to see you add DBB to your options!

Dr. Bill's Bend is very different (Andrew Gerard did chime in with a contribution by the way) via the utilization of the pendulum and other factors, including what amounts to a mini-course on pendulums and suggestion. Whereas KA is an effect, DBB is a routine and more.

I really appreciate everyone's kind words. The response has been overwhelming, with stories of succesful performances starting to trickle in.
As usual Dr. Bill takes a simple idea combined with another simple idea and creates a GIGANTIC idea. Just the fact that Steve Cohen decided to insert it into his shows speaks volumes about the worth of this idea.

I don't need to go on and on. It's Bill's idea... get it...enough said.

Greg
OK, if Bruce Bernstien likes it I'll get it and I did.

Btw, if you haven't seen Bruce's Will Power you really need to get off the couch and take a look.
I just sent it to you John! Yes, Bruce was very generous in his comments and I recommend all of his products. He is one of the finest thinkers alive when it comes to mentalism.

Thank you Greg, both for your kind words and wonderful contribution! As I wrote you regarding the second routine that was too late for Dr. Bill's Bend, if enough other people send good ideas I'll put out a supplement ala Mirabil.

Matt, the comparison to Key Accessory is very flattering. Remember, you don't have to give up one for the other. They both can have their place in your repetoire.
Just bought it - like Steven I use Flexion often and love it. Can't wait to read some of the insights from everyone involved in the project.
Finally finished reading it...and not only is is very elegant and simple, its also ruddy marvellous! the banachek and greg arce additions just add gold leaf guilding to an already beautiful moment...i salute you all!
Why this is amazing

Easily portable / pocket item
Scalable from individual to stage to tv to radio too
Involves as many people as you want
Really is mentalism core style
The nuances shared can be used for other effects beyond this one
Leaves a memento with people

Why I'm really happy: to really do it properly will require audience management, boldness and mentalism chops - so I doubt everyone will be doing it the exact same way

Also adaptable to things beyond keys - example of Chinese coin is but one - I went and found a suitable iron demon head (pazuzu style) I've been practicing on just in case I want to make it more bizarre forces

Yep excellent stuff

Last- wow greg arce came out to post again over this - now that is a testament to amazing
Thanks guys! I liked your comment about no one having to perform Dr. Bill's Bend the same way, good doctor. That is one of its great assets and an excellent observation.

I just received news that Steve Cohen's TV special "Lost Magic Deocded" is being re-aired tuesday at 8am on History Channel. Yup AM! So set your DVRs if you missed it the first time around.

Dr. Bill's Bend comes in at 32 minutes. Steve does an incredible job from A - Z.
Dr. Bill seems to be addicted to pendulum effects. Lucky for us! This e-book has so many layers of brilliant subtlety that I can already feel it effecting how I am reworking routines that don't even use a pendulum. Of course I also will likely be adding the bend meets pendulum routine to my show as well.

Steve Cohen did a fantastic job with it on his TV special too.

Keep up the good work Dr Bill.

Lincoln
I believe that "addiction" as you call it contributed to what woke me frsrom my sleep when my subconcious heard the word "pendulum." My wife would agree with you, especially regarding Multi-Bobs, not quite understanding how I could need more than one or two!

I'm glad to read how you are applying the thinking above and beyond the actual routine to your current repetoire. And of course about your plan to incorporate Dr. Bill's Bend into your show. Let me know how it goes!
I bet Uri Geller wishes he had this fantastic PDF booklet when he started out -- it would have saved him a lot of hard work.
I "invented" my method for key bending when I was 13 after watching Uri on television. I certainly have to give credit where credit is due. Thanks, Peter!
There is a thread on Latest & Greatest which actually has a bit of controversy regarding Dr. Bill's Bend and Steve Cohen's performance, something I never imagined occurring. Please check it out here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=489342&forum=218&12
I love this e-book. Bill never disappoints :)
Yup - Dr Bill has done it again.
As everyone seems to have said already: great idea; and great tips from some of the greats.
Can't find the iTunes video link can anyone copy the link for me?

Best Wishes Michael
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Nov 26, 2012 03:28PM)
You will only find it in the iTunes USA stores, Michael.
I cannot get it from Germany as well - unfortunately.

Same is for Amazon InstantVideo. You can get the recordings only from an account in the States.
Sincere thanks for the information Thomas, looks like I'm going to have to invest. Would have been nice to see it without knowing the Modus Operandi first.

Best Wishes Michael ;)
Performed this at a show last week.
It's a worker all right.
Gents, I'm from South Africa and have the same iTunes issues. If you want to watch the sepcial, buy it from the US iTunes store by creating a US iTunes account
Ike this:
http://www.pffft.co.za/stuff/how-to-create-a-us-itunes-account-without-a-sa-credit-card

It works. You will then load store credit from buying gift vouchers from third parties. That, or watch The History Channel 24/7 until it airs in your country...

- sorry for that aside, now back to the Bend..
Aubrey, thank you so much for sharing this! I have gotten many requests and will also share this info with Steve Cohen.

And thank you all for the comments. I love hearing about DBB being performed Dave!
Aubrey...

You, sir, are a genius!!!
I followed your directions and now the lovely Mr Cohen and his special are downloading to my little old iMac here in sunny...well, wet...England.

Thank you VERY much for the info, I'm sure it's going to come in most useful in the future.

I am tipping my imaginary hat towards you.

Cheers,

Tony
So now I've watched the special, thanks again to Aubrey, and very good it was too.

The downside is I now have to send Bill more money for another one of his brilliant ideas.

Ah well.

Tony
Glad I could be of assistance ;)
I don't have it ( yet) but everything Dr Bill is writing is GOLD. Everything

Lior
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Nov 30, 2012 10:28AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-30 11:24, Lior wrote:
I don't have it ( yet) but everything Dr Bill is writing is GOLD. Everything

Lior
[/quote]

Hehe, have you been reading [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=490813&forum=303&38]Doug's thread[/url]?

I wrote:

[quote]
On 2012-11-30 09:03, Simon (Ted) Edwards wrote:
...we've all seen comments like, "I've heard Fred is working on a new book. Anything Fred produces is worth its weight in gold. I've begged him not to release this material [which I've not yet seen]. I can't wait [to see this material that I've not yet seen]."

I accept that this is an extreme example, but it's not uncommon. Hopefully normal people will see straight through it and won't be fooled.

I know that 'hype' means different things to different people but to me it means generating interest in a product by overstating its value. So if 100 well-meaning but ignorant people write that my dreadful effect is brilliant, that still counts as hype in my book.
[/quote]

No offence intended, Lior. It was just such a close match :)

T.
:)
Doug is a very close friend.
Everything he writes is gold. Everything
(this is true)

There are some people that are sharing great stuff and there are some names
that share very bad stuff...
Most of the people in the Café are amature magicians and their reviews are good most of the time
just for amatures.

Lior
And by the way... I got it 2 weeks ago.
So I know what I am talking about.

Lior
There’s a lot being said about Dr. Bill’s Bend in the meantime – and to be completely honest, I’m somewhat biased anyway when it comes to Dr. Bill’s publications. Nevertheless I like to share some informations about the book on the one hand and my personal impressions on the other – emphasizing explicitly on the fact that the latter are exactly what I called them: personal impressions!

The ebook contains seven main parts for me:

[list][*]An [b]‘Introduction’[/b] which offers a few informations on the history of this publications as such.

[*][b]Dr. Bill’s Bend[/b] which describes the actual effect, the methods and the basic presentational approach – but which already adds some clever subtleties to the pure description as well.

[*][b]Bonuses[/b] (to the actual Dr. Bill’s Bend routine) which not only offer alternatives to particular parts of the handling. More than this several wonderful (at least wonderful [i]in my eyes[/i]) ideas, twists, ‘add-ons’ and subtleties are shared. Some of them are developments which have parallels to (credited) ideas or concepts of Docc Hilford, Richard Webster, Bob Cassidy, Andrew Gerard or Kenton Knepper for example. Other variations are contributions by great minds like Tony Razzano or Greg Arce.

[*][b]Steve Cohen’s Presentation from “Lost Magic Decoded”[/b] – well, it is obviously self-explanatory what you’ll find in this part. This is a highly commercial approach of Dr. Bill’s routine. Unfortunately I haven’t seen the actual performance. But even reading the description clarifies very well what happens and why the routine is structured the way it is. Great to learn from.

[*][b]Incredible Tips from Banachek[/b] – a self-explanatory headline as well. What a simple yet brilliant idea!

[*]In [b]Pender Bender[/b] Mauricio Jaramillo shares not only a wonderful concept for pendulum work as such but more than this a great idea to combine this concept with Dr. Bill’s Bend. Stunning.

[*]The [b]Appendix[/b] contains Dr. Bill’s thoughts on two particular important aspects of pendulum work: ‘Stillness’ and ‘Movement’. One shouldn’t underestimate reflections about those two topics when it comes to create a pendulum sequence![/list]

I personally do metal bendings just on rare occasions – and even for pendulum work I have a quite ‘special’ approach which is different from the common pendulum applications that you’ll find in the corresponding literature. That said, Dr. Bill’s Bend offered me food for thought in the first instance no matter what! But more than this my first experiences with this routine in practice were astonishing!

I experimented with an approach of announcing the bend in advance as well as with apparently ‘just’ performing a pendulum sequence and only realizing the bend ‘accidentally’ later.
Both approaches caused great reactions - so the preferable interpretation of this routine depends on the situation and the personal taste I think. For me personally the second approach of [i][b]not[/b][/i] announcing the expected upcoming occurrence and acting puzzled about the proceedings and their results matches my performance style better.

Nevertheless the ebook (respectively its content) offers a wonderful wide range of potential interpretations and performance alternatives. The subtleties Dr. Bill as well as the contributors to his book offer are brilliant and worth to be reflected in-depth whether or not you are performing this routine as it is.

This implicit value of a publication and the options to apply ideas and concepts even to other routines is something that I always appreciate – and in Dr. Bill’s Bend a lot of implicit value is shared.

As I said in the beginning: I’m undeniably biased when it comes to Dr. Bill’s work anyway. So keep this in mind when you evaluate my thoughts on this ebook. But I hope you found some valuable informations in my deliberations nevertheless.

Best
Th.
Hi everyone. First, Tony, thanks for your compliment. Having Steve Cohen as my "TV spokesman" is a wonderful experience.

Lior, not everyone gets your sense of humor! Lior has had DBB for two weeks and is just being cheeky.

Andy, I'm not sure what you are implying about Doug's thread. Doug was one of the first people to see The Dr. Billet Tear, if that is what you are referring to, and was only concerned I credit him for an aspect of R2D2 that I adapted and I think is great. Interestingly the one aspect he didn't particularly like has become a non-issue. Doug hasn't seen it since then. I will still include both options (they aren't that different) because I think it has its place in the right circumstances and like everything else in our odd world, some not only prefer doing it that way, it is their favorite part of The Dr. Billet Tear.

I believe I can even see the effect of Doug's thread on your post Thomas. Your thorough, thoroughly flattering REVIEW!

I believe there needs to be a distinction between personal views from objective fact but if we have to tippy toe around and worry about being "politicaly correct" to the point where we qualify every statement we make, something will be lost in trade. Perhaps the fluidity of a well written review will suffer from writers less talented than Thomas. All the more impressive since you aren't writing in your native language!

Coming from you, Thomas, this review means a lot. I know, and appreciate, how high your standards are.

One of the things I really appreciate is how many people have written or posted about their experiences performing Dr. Bill's Bend. While I know reviews of an effect prior to performance are valuable too, there is something significant added when people share there performance experiences. You even went out there and tried two approaches to see which went over better! That is doing your homework.

Which makes it even more valuable information to the readers of this thread who want to know if this is something they will actually use. It is also valuable to the readers of Dr. Bill's Bend who may decide to follow you in the direction you are going.
I just got DBB. I have been using ideas from Banachek, Ben Harris, Richard Mark and Andrew Gerard for years now. I am so excited to try some of the ideas in DBB. I just finished reading this and look forward to fleshing out these ideas and nuances. This is a fantastic piece of literature, full of ideas.

I had never been exposed to the method in Mauricio's lovely routine, which is a revelation of sorts.

Dr. Bill's structure (with some presentational ideas from Steve Cohen) is a thing of beauty and amplifies the key bending presentation to an entire theater. I love it.

I look forward to being able to report back after I have done this a few dozen times. Thanks for the gift of excitement!
And thank your for such a wonderful review! I look forward to hearing how you use Dr. Bill's Bend in performance.

Jheff Poncher of Marketplace of the Mind just placed his review up. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm extremely flattered. Jheff doesn't pull punches. Here is what he wrote, including the endorsements he listed:

MY COMMENTS:

This effect by Dr. Bill was one of the highlights of a
collection of material on pendulums which he has now made
into a separate e-book. This powerful routine is a
brilliant merging of the always-strong pendulum routine and
key bending. It involves numerous members of the audience,
if not all of them, and has the components of an incredibly
entertaining and effective routine. There's really not that
much more to say about this that's not in the blurb, except
that this requires no gimmicks and relies on just the
handling of the keys and the participants.

Included within this twenty-seven page PDF is the Dr. Bill's
Bend routine, some really terrific bonus ideas, excellent
additional ideas from Banachek, a presentation from Steve
Cohen (who performed it on his Discovery Channel special),
Mauricio Jaramillo's "Pender Bender," and an excerpt from
Dr. Bill's TRYBIL on the pendulum. The only consideration
is whether or not you do metal bending routines and, if you
do, this is something that you really should consider.

"If you've ever wanted to do a metal bending effect, but
lacked a well laid out routine with which to present it, Dr.
Bill's Bend is a great way to go. It builds logically by
employing ideomotor response to help your audience suspend
their disbelief as the effect reaches its climax. One can
easily see why it was chosen by Steve Cohen to be included
in his TV special, "Lost Magic Decoded."

Bruce Bernstein

"An absolutely wonderful framework for metal bending. The
audience has something to see and a wonderful surprise at
the end. This is a reputation maker."
Banachek

"When I first looked at Dr. Bill's Bend, I knew I was
holding something very special. There is much more than a
simple routine...it's an entire presentation that crackles
with fresh thinking. An absolute masterwork."

David Thiel

"Dr. Bill's Bend is, without doubt, one of the best key
bending routines I have seen. The presentational script is
powerful and there is absolutely no heat on the moment of
the bend. Whether you are a Mentalist or a Magician, Dr.
Bill's Bend is guaranteed to mesmerize, entertain, and stun
any audience."

Peter Duffie

All the kind words and reviews really mean a lot to me. And thanks again to Mauricio Jaramillo who was invaluable in putting the book together as well as offering a superb contribution.
This sounds a bit like Bendulum in Magick 414: can anyone say if they are similar?
Wonderful thinking!

Benny
Jerome Finely's "Thought Circle" routine would be a great way to transition into Dr. Bill Bend.
Wow...I love this. Most of Dr B's stuff is highly innovative and even if the effect is not something you can quickly adapt into your shows..... the ideas are gold!!! in a world of THINGS we need more IDEAS and he is def an idea man....I always try to invest in things that I can warp and mold into different directions....Dr.B's the bend is one of those things.
Anyone on the Bendulum question? I vetted this with mentalism's best and best informed and no one made any such association. Can you describe the effect of Bendulum, Lars?

Thanks Ben and Gremlin, and what a great idea Mystic! Gremlin, not that anyone should adapt any new routine to their shows before it is ready but is there something about DBB that is giving you particular hesitation? Glad to help if there is.
Oh no no! I mean that some performers may find some things more suited to their show than others..... as for me I love it all
I've been out of town, but want to comment on Dr. Bill's Bend. I'm very mad at myself for not having thought of this years ago! This is a perfect way to do a key bend and the method leaves so much open to presentation as evidenced by Steve Cohen. It's just a great concept!

The additional material from Banachek, Mauricio Jaramillo and others is pure gold. I particularly like the Pender Bender setup, but it's all wonderful.

Great work, Bill!

Richard Osterlind
Bill:
Bendulum - you have a pendulum with a key at the end, which you show around. You dangle the pendulum over the spectator's hand, then ask them to grab the key. When the spectator opens their hand, the key is bent.

It is worth saying that the write up is barely a page long; so even if there are similarities, it is clear that Bill's Bend must go a lot further in terms of tips and presentational ploys.
Thanks, Lars! A friend sent me a detailed description and it is an interesting idea though very different from Dr. Bill's Bend.

And, Richard, you are too kind. Thank you.

The banner ads that Mauricio Jaramillo created are up! Thank you Mauricio you did a beautiful job on the banner, and on the ad it leads to, and on the book the ad is selling and on and on and on.
I looked up Bendulum. While both involve a pendulum and a key the presentation and the method differ. That said you could mix and match depending on what strikes your fancy. Bill's book is much more detailed and has several ideas for presentation.
Thanks,bdekolta, I appreciate your research and like the idea of combining the two.

By the way, I'm having my annual Holiday Sale with my ebooks 40% off. For descriptions and prices please go to: [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=492846&forum=95&0]HERE![/url]

I wish I could say it included DBB, but right now it is an exclusive.
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Dec 21, 2012 03:56PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-09 21:32, Richard Osterlind wrote:
The additional material from Banachek, Mauricio Jaramillo and others is pure gold. I particularly like the Pender Bender setup, but it's all wonderful.[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words Richard, they mean a lot coming from you!

It was great working on all this with Bill! This is a routine I use all the time as well, just last Saturday I performed it at a show and it was a huge hit, everyone loves their bizarre souvenir they can keep on their keychain.

I see that Bill now has his own Magitar (That's my key!):

http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/products/original/6314a-50d482b7b99a4.jpg
I could start a itune account in usa but I cnat by any becasu I live in sweden and find free codes I cant so I don't understand how to se this LOST MAGIC DECODED without free codes..
Is anyone helping Trixy? Please don't let the getup stop the mentalists though I have to admit the oft expressed sentiment that spoon bending is at risk of becoming the equivalent of balloon twisting in mentalism gave me a bit of pause when I saw that nose! But he seems like a very nice guy and just needs some direction from anyone who can speak his langauge.

By the way I just found Steve Cohen's TV special Lost Magic Decoded where he performs DBB for $1.98 [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TUPYWG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p318_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0R3GB8MGT5SR00N3760P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846]HERE![/url]

Though foriegn customers will still have to follow Aubrey's instructions. But now it shouldn't cost more than the original price of $4.00. Happy Holidays!
Hi Trixy and the others. I'm not sure what free points are, but you can buy US itunes gift vouchers anywhere online and use those.
[quote]
On 2012-12-24 18:33, Bill Cushman wrote:
Is anyone helping Trixy? Please don't let the getup stop the mentalists though I have to admit the oft expressed sentiment that spoon bending is at risk of becoming the equivalent of balloon twisting in mentalism gave me a bit of pause when I saw that nose! But he seems like a very nice guy and just needs some direction from anyone who can speak his langauge.
[/quote]

Trixi asked for help elsewhere on this forum. I sent him a PM and I think he already is on the right track.
Best wishes,
Peter
I just got this and I must say WOW. I have never been much into metal bending so can someone please PM me a link for the certain something that is talked about in the first part of the book?

Thanks!

-Altrez
Um, look in your pocket or some old junk drawers? Seriously, feel free to write me at wcushman@bellsouth.net anytime if you haven't been innundated with solutions in your PM box already!
Hey Bill,

No one has responded yet but you :) where do I buy the object that is in question?

-Altrez
Hi Altrez, Dr Cushman is very helpful by email. I strongly suggest you contact him by email for this info.
I have this and is a piece of art! My compliments to Bill for this work, this is something I will use!
More kudos for DBB.

It made the Top Ten Releases for 2012 of Jheff's list. Way to go, Bill!

If you don't have this yet...don't be left behind. It's a wonderful thing.

David
Ok, finally for non-US viewers, if you want to buy an iTunes gift card (to watch the Cohen performance), you can do so here:

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/Category/iTunes-Gift-Cards
Hello David
what are the top ten please ??
Thanks
Eric
I have a "Mother of all Benders" as mentioned in the ebook and a bender like the one pictured. As I have been preparing for this effect I have been going through my collection of old various keys I have been collecting for Jon Allen's Flexion effect. As I have practiced with the Mother Bender I have noticed that there are some thicker house keys and spare keys that I simply cannot bend at all. I am not necessarily a weak man, but I certainly am not old enough to have "old man strength" like some of you ;-) ... How does one prepare for a situation where a spectator gives them a thicker key that will not be bale to be bent subtlety with one hand? Has anyone else experienced problems with bending one handed? Am I just a weenie?
Eric, I just wrote Jheff to see if it is OK if I just list the titles of the top ten, not his whole write up on each. If it is OK, I'll go ahead and do so.

David, I've been using this method since I was 13 and most certainly a classic 90 pound weakling and magic weenie. I have a feeling you aren't "holding things" exactly as I describe. Many related methods detail (inexplicably to me) ways to do this that do require more brute force.

By the way, are you only having this problem with "The Mother of All Benders" or also with the more standard version as in the photo? Some "Mothers" look like "Mothers" but don't work so well whereas I've never had a problem with the standard style. If this isn't the problem, write me at wcushman@bellsouth.net and I'll walk you through what I suspect you are doing wrong.
Thank you, Bill.

I will reread your instructions and give it all another whirl. I will let you know if I am still struggling. I appreciate your reply and would like to say that I am very excited about the methods and ideas in this ebook you released. I am all about simple props that audience members can touch as it creates stronger memories in my experience. This bend is perfect for that.
Dear Dr Bill,

I''m considering purchasing this but I have a question.

I purchased Andrew Gerard's "Key Accessory" a while back but unfortunately couldn't use it because I wasn't able to achieve the necessary l*v***g* if you know what I mean. I could do it but it didn't look very discrete so I never used it.

To those of you that have Dr Bill's Bend and Key Accessory do you find Dr Bill's Bend physically easier to use?

Regards,

Laurence.
Hi Laurence. Any help yet? If not, I may have time tomorrow to dig out my KA directions and compare and contrast so you have an answer to your question. As I responded via PM, I'm sure that while I adopted Andrew's great presentational frame, I would have used the method of bending I "created" when I was 13.

OK, Jheff would prefer I give you his link to the Best of 2012 list so you can check out his reasoning in detail:

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/2012best.html

I will let one cat out of the bag. The best product of the year, and I absolutely agree and think it is well deserved, is Bruce Bernstein's Unreal! Congratulations Bruce, you earned it.

By the way, Unreal is nearly sold out. Buy now or miss out!
Dr Bill´s material shows how simple ideas plus excellent psychology can transform "tricks" into "miracles"

Dr Bill´s Bend is no exception. Several ideas that fits perfectly plus excellent audience interaction that can give your performance "the moment" that you are searching.

I know for a fact that pendulums are an incredible tool for the Mystery Performer and funnily enough I use similar ideas in the past and Dr Bill´s Bend will worth the money that you are investment and much more.

If you are serious about creating everlasting memories, get this ASAP

Best
Thank you Pablo. And now for something completely different....

Well, not different but definitely cool! My dear friend Mauricio Jaramillo made a video of his performance of DBB one-on-one for use in the Penguin ad. See it [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3122]HERE![/url]
I love Dr. Bill's Bend so much I could marry it.
Best key bend for me ever!
Does someone remember that somebody was selling bags of skeleton keys.
I don´t own it but after watch Jaramillo´s video at Penguin Magic, the bending method looks like Richard Mark´s "The Key Warper" from Mind Warp book.
Can anyone comment about it?
Regards!
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Jun 21, 2013 12:21AM)
[quote]
On 2013-06-20 22:10, Mind_Magic wrote:
I don´t own it but after watch Jaramillo´s video at Penguin Magic, the bending method looks like Richard Mark´s "The Key Warper" from Mind Warp book.
Can anyone comment about it?
Regards!
[/quote]
Well, the actual bending method as such (technical-wise) is even older than Richard Mark's 1998 book. But you have to know that Dr. Bill's routine isn't just about 'how to bend a key'. It is a composition that not only justifies handlings but it frames presentationally what the audience experiences.

Reducing Dr. Bill's book to one separate technical part wouldn't meet its qualities and its thoughtfulness of the thinking behind.

Best
Th.
So many levels upon which to comment. First, a lot of indpendent invention has occured regarding the method for the BEND itself. I've been doing it since I was 13 when I was pretty sure I saw Geller do the same on TV. And was amused a decade later when I bought Key Warper from Richard Mark (it was originally marketed as a separate effect) to discover the "gimmick" and method were the same I'd been using.

As Thomas points out Dr. Bill's Bend isn't about the method of bending a key (though it does offer what I think is a nice framework for any needed misdirection). It is about a presentation that weaves together pendulums and a key bend in a way that has really resonated with a lot of people around the world.

And Mind Magic, your comment is actually refreshing after encountering a number of customers who even after reading the book and watching the video were writing to ask where to buy the bending gimmick!
Dr. Bill's Bend. A Review

What the Spectators See: "The magician gave each of us a key hanging from a string and showed us how we could make the key swing around like a pendulum just by concentrating on it. Then he had my friend hold her key inside her hand while the rest of us concentrated on it. When she opened her hand, the key had bent."

Audience reactions: Different people have different reactions to the first part of the routine. Some people are "believers" and become excited when the key starts swinging in their hand without any apparent force being applied. Other people are "skeptics" and react to the swinging key with raised eyebrows and guarded smiles, as if you are trying to hoax them.

But everyone is stunned and mystified by the climax of the routine, when the key bends inside the spectator's hand. If anything, the skeptics are more impressed by the climax than the believers are, because the skeptics have been assuming the routine was just a bamboozle when -zap! -- something truly magical and inexplicable occurs with the bending of the key.

How the presentations went: I gave two performances. First, I am a college psychology professor, and presented the routine to a class of 50 students, supposedly as a demonstration of the "power of the mind." My presentation was based on Steve Cohen's television performance in "Lost Magic Decoded." After letting the students ponder for a few days following the demonstration, I gave them a short lecture on the ideomotor effect and how it accounted for the keys swinging like pendulums and for other mysterious phenomena like the Ouija Board. (I declined to explain how the key bent, but told them they could buy the secret at online magic stores). Overall, Dr. Bend's Bend was much more entertaining than my usual class lecture and provided an unforgettable lesson about the ideomotor effect and the powers of suggestion.

My second performance went almost exactly like the first, except that the audience consisted of only two people, including one who was a complete skeptic. Although Steve Cohen's routine was developed for a parlor presentation, it also worked well as a close-up effect. In fact, the key bend seemed even more impressive in the close-up setting, because both people were standing only a few inches away when it happened.

Favorable comments: The trick is well-suited for parlor and even stage presentations. But it is also practical for walk-around -- you might need 20 keys on strings for an evening of walk-around, which isn't much. Between my car, house and office keys, I normally carry ten keys in my pocket already.

There are absolutely no angle problems. The first part of the trick with the swinging keys is pure showmanship with no sleights. The climax of the trick, when the key bends in the spectator's hand, requires maybe two or three hours of practice, but I'm very clumsy. If I can learn it then almost anyone else can too.

I love it that the key-bending part of the trick has very strong built-in misdirection, at least in Steve Cohen's routine. When the moment comes to bend the key, you'll find that no one is looking at your hands or even paying much attention to you. I often worry that I will flub a slight or be caught by the audience, but not with this trick. I feel almost like I could bend five keys at the same time and still no one would take the slightest notice.

Unfavorable comments: When you buy the trick, you are given only a book in pdf form and no video. I really needed to see the trick done, not just read about it. Luckily, there's a video on YouTube in which the likable Mauricio Jaramillo performs a version of Dr. Bill's Bend. In addition, for a couple dollars I downloaded Steve Cohen's Performance of "Lost Magic Decoded" from Amazon videos. These videos answered most of my questions and got me going.

I also had some difficulty learning the mechanics of key-bending from the pdf book. I ended up downloading "Chi Touch" by Christopher Taylor from Penguin Magic for $10. Chi Touch is an impressive psychokinetic effect and as a bonus it includes an instructional video in which Dan Harlan teaches how to bend keys, coins, and other metal objects. Harlan's video taught me enough that I was soon bending keys without much trouble.

Overall Rating: 8/10. Dr. Bill's Bend is a very practical and impressive routine. I would give it a rating of 10/10 if the instructional materials were better. However, as I have indicated, with a little extra effort (and sorry to say, about $12 of extra expense) it is possible to obtain the necessary information that the instructional materials fail to supply.