(Close Window)
Topic: Bend Bend Bend Bill
A bit surprised no one is talking about this here.

Have you heard?

Did you watch Steve Cohen's TV special on the History Channel?

It's a fact that when you go on TV, you want the best, most effective stuff, so read this ...

“I chose to perform "Dr. Bill's Bend" on my television special because I needed a pendulum routine with a distinct ending. My studio audience loved this routine, and so did I. Perhaps I should add it to my live shows at the Waldorf-Astoria? It's that strong.” -Steve Cohen, The Millionaires' Magician

Give it a shot if the description blows your hair back. Strong stuff.

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/dr-bills-bend.html
Hi Alex, I just noticed this thread and appreciate what you shared. Thank you!

A thread is also on Mentally Speaking but there is something flattering about being in "Latest & Greatest!" (The one on Mentally Speaking is at: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=489082&forum=303&11)

People are responding really well and already putting Dr. Bill's Bend in their shows. I can't wait to see what twists some of our great thinkers add.

If there are enough ideas sent to me I'll consider adding a supplement like I did with Mirabill. I already have another mind boggling variation from Greg Arce.

Waking up to see Steve Cohen performing my effect on his TV special "Lost Magic Decoded" was very surreal, truly dreamlike given the circumstnaces. And I'm still blown away that, out of 2 hours, I woke up within in seconds of his beginning the effect.
Steve Cohen's special Lost Magic Decoded is being re-aired on the History Channel at 8AM tuesday morning. So set your DVRs if you haven't seen it!

Of course it is a chance to see a master perform Dr. Bill's Bend (coming in at right about 32 minutes, wink) but it is primarily another opportunity to see Steve's entire special. He did a great job and I applaud his successes.
I missed LMD. Does anyone know if there is any video on the internet anywhere showing Dr. Bill's Bend?

I would like to see the routine before purchase, I am very interested.

I searched YouTube and found nothing.

[quote]
On 2012-11-21 08:55, Barnstormer wrote:
I missed LMD. Does anyone know if there is any video on the internet anywhere showing Dr. Bill's Bend?

[/quote]

Dude, after all the reviews and being it's bills and only $25 its a no brainer. Get it while there are still a few left.

J
I bought this before seeing Steve's performance. It doesn't really fit my style so I'll be sticking with Key Accessory, but if you are into this type of presenation, it should work well for you. I'm not a big pendulum guy so Steve's presenation really didn't do anything for me. I made my wife watch it so I could see how a layman would react. Her immediate reaction was, "That was horrible. You're not doing that." So apparently the presentation didn't suit her either. We both liked the actual key bend but thought the pendulum angle was hokey. Just two opinions.
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 09:22, John C wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 08:55, Barnstormer wrote:

[/quote]

Dude, after all the reviews and being it's bills and only $25 its a no brainer. Get it while there are still a few left.

J
[/quote]

John,

Whilst, I understand your point, and $25 should not break the bank, it does add up and my "drawer of neglected magic" now adds up to a tidy sum.

I wish I could undo some of my "just $25-$35" purchases and put that money into Alone 4D or something else very nice.

The reason the pendulum thing is good I'd because it involves a lot of people. It's ALWAYS a good idea to involve the audience members, they like that.

The pendulum thing too can be used as a historical teaching thing. People love to learn as well.

Why is Steve so successful?
1. He does these things: involves audience and helps them learn interesting things
2. He's not afraid to be hokey

If you believe in what you do, if you show confidence, if you look like you enjoy it you will never be preceived as hokey or not authentic and the audience will love you for that. Isn't this what we strive for?

I realize that while I like KA as well it really only plays for a smaller group. Look at those people in the audience having fun with those pendulums, watching each other, laughing. Comon man, that's entertainment.

J
Well maybe it will be up to me to make a YouTube vid of the routine...

I placed my order just now. The drawer of neglected magic is looking hungry, I hope it does not consume B-Bill!

Every order I have placed with OutLaw Magic has escaped the drawer, maybe this one will too....

I predict Dr. Bill's Bend, which I just sent you Barnstormer, will live a long and happy life outside the drawer. If it doesn't it is no comment on Outlaw; the responsibility is all mine.

Emyers99, please don't buy Trybil! I don't think I've ever told anyone not to buy Trybil but if you and your wife didn't like Steve Cohen's version of Dr. Bill's Bend, I wouldn't want you to be unhappy. I'm serious and non-judgemental, just somewhat in shock at the word "horrible!"

Personally, I don't think there is enough use of pendulums in mentalism, though I like to think I've contributed to an increase in interest over the last few years. It is called the most under utilized tool in mentalism by many of the greats.

I just wrote someone who had a question about the key bending segment of the routine, making it very clear this is every bit as much a pendulum routine. The key bend is the finale.

The special was replayed this morning but I don't know when it will next be on The History Channel. You can buy it for $4.00 at Itunes and also Amazaon Instant Video.
Again, if it works for you guys, great. Just personal preference. The only other experience I've had with pendulums in my 30 yrs of performing was Burmese Bells, admittedly the worst trick ever put out by collector's workshop. To me, I think you need to spend time educating the audience about what a pendulum is and the theory behind it, and I don't think steve's routine did that...at least not the way it was edited. To test my theory, today I asked two co-workers that both saw and raved about the special- one a fellow lawyer, the other my secretary. When I asked what they thought of the key routine, neither remembered it. After refreshing their memories, the lawyer said she remembered the key bending but didn't even know the pendulums were part of the routine. My secretary only remembered the "crazy blonde that pretended to make her key move." When I asked if I should learn the routine, both said no. So it apparently is not just me that wasn't impressed.
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 20:29, emyers99 wrote:
Again, if it works for you guys, great. Just personal preference. The only other experience I've had with pendulums in my 30 yrs of performing was Burmese Bells, admittedly the worst trick ever put out by collector's workshop. To me, I think you need to spend time educating the audience about what a pendulum is and the theory behind it, and I don't think steve's routine did that...at least not the way it was edited. To test my theory, today I asked two co-workers that both saw and raved about the special- one a fellow lawyer, the other my secretary. When I asked what they thought of the key routine, neither remembered it. After refreshing their memories, the lawyer said she remembered the key bending but didn't even know the pendulums were part of the routine. My secretary only remembered the "crazy blonde that pretended to make her key move." When I asked if I should learn the routine, both said no. So it apparently is not just me that wasn't impressed.
[/quote]

Oh well. England swings like a pendulum do.
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 19:09, Bill Cushman wrote:
I predict Dr. Bill's Bend, which I just sent you Barnstormer, will live a long and happy life outside the drawer. If it doesn't it is no comment on Outlaw; the responsibility is all mine.

The special was replayed this morning but I don't know when it will next be on The History Channel. You can buy it for $4.00 at Itunes and also Amazaon Instant Video.
[/quote]

Itunes! thank you. It will be worth the $4.00 to see it done by a master. (and the rest of the show should be amusing too).

I started reading last night but still much more to go.

You are most welcome, Barnstormer. When you watch it, (as John points out) check out the audience reactions when Steve performs Dr. Bill's Bend and let us know what you see. Please note if you see a "crazy blond that pretended to make her key move" LOL. It is also kind of hard to imagine someone watching the effect and not remembering the pendulum part.

Ehud Segev had 1000 pendulums made up with his "Mentalizer" logo for an effect at his recent Times Square show. Tony Razzano was the first person I read of giving away pendulums (though much simpler than Ehuds)to an entire audience but many have done so since in order to create a "major effect" as Bob Cassidy calls it. As well as to send folks home with a momento they can use and share with friends and family. Talk about win/win!

As for The Burmese Bells, I'm not fond of them either. I think they look like a clown prop and would never use them. But just out of curiosity was it the look of the bells or the effect that troubled you so much, em?

If you want to see Multi-Bob pendulums done right, head over to Rich Hennessey's [url=http://mental-craft.com]mental-craft.com[/url]. But, now I'm definitely saying, DON'T BUY TRYBIL, emyers99!

You did make a good point about the editing on Steve's special. But this is almost always the case when I speak to a mentalist or magician about losing control of aspects of their work when presented on TV. He may very well have given some more background on pendulums than we saw. Though there are performers who frequently perform with pendulums and would never consider more than a few words of "education," particularly if using a mystical presentation. I am curious what kind of intro you would use to educate the audience about what a pendulum is and how it works. I'm sincerely trying to get a grasp on where you are coming from in how you would use a pendulum. As you said, you are not a "big pendulum guy."

And remember there is a lot more about Dr. Bill's Bend than what Steve performed. However, his decision to perform it is hugely flattering and I think he contributed some very nice dramatic touches. I suspect you may have used a "biased sample" emyers99! But as you said, it is a matter of preference.
Have no fear. I have absolutely no intention of buying Cybil. As for my "biased" sample, that's funny given we are here on the Café where people are known to give glowing reviews out of fear of being attacked for posting negative thoughts. As for my secretary being biased, she is one of the very few people that thought cris angel's show in vegas was entertaining. So she doesn't exactly have high standards.

As I said in my initial post, if this works for folks, great. There are obviously people here that like it. I don't, but that's just one opinion. The method and ebook are both good. I simply don't find pendulums that entertaining.
[quote]
On 2012-11-22 08:24, Barnstormer wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Itunes! thank you. It will be worth the $4.00 to see it done by a master. (and the rest of the show should be amusing too).

I started reading last night but still much more to go.

[/quote]

Cheaper on Amazon @ $1.99...
[quote]
On 2012-11-23 14:37, emyers99 wrote:
Have no fear. I have absolutely no intention of buying Cybil. As for my "biased" sample, that's funny given we are here on the Café where people are known to give glowing reviews out of fear of being attacked for posting negative thoughts. As for my secretary being biased, she is one of the very few people that thought cris angel's show in vegas was entertaining. So she doesn't exactly have high standards.

As I said in my initial post, if this works for folks, great. There are obviously people here that like it. I don't, but that's just one opinion. The method and ebook are both good. I simply don't find pendulums that entertaining.
[/quote]

If your secretary thought Cri$$'s show was entertaining, I believe she must be a st**ge.... and if so - since Cri$$ didn't use the bend before Steve - perhaps she is shilling... and also, I got a feeling she was jealous of the blonde... how come that blonde is being looked at with the swinging knockers/errrr keys?

I say her opinion is highly SUSPECT!!!!

In fact, it could be you are secretly a Pendulum MASTER and want no one else to use these techniques by pretending its not for you! In fact - I believe your entire house has bells and orbs dangling from different types and lengths of cords and strings... and when people come over they start moving depending on what a person says and does - and then they run in fear and you know everything about them... in fact... you are the PENDULUMASTERMINDMAN aren't you?!?!!?

Seriously - pendulums are not for all - but hey - they are so portable - or even makable with items sitting around - that its great for almost any occassion, works on sound psych principles, and you can present it as a simple form of psychomotor ideation to talking to the dead... from individual to giant crowd work -but hey - not everyone is going to understand or like it. Good for the rest of us!

P.S. Please ignore everything I just posted.
We can't ignore you, Doctor; you are on a roll! And em, who told you the top secret name of my next project? I actually really like Cybil and have to find a way to use it in the "Billifying" of my release titles (though it may end up Cybill).

Seriously, em, you are discussing this in a very diplomatic way, something I really appreciate here. And you have been more than kind in your assessment of Dr. Bill's Bend for which I thank you.
Bill's routining in Dr. Bill's Bend is superb!

This is worth way more than the asking price...plus you get additional ideas for Banachek and Mauricio Jaramillo.

Nice work Dr.!!
I suspect that pendulum routines, even this great one, is much more impactful when it happens in your own hands as a participant, than it does as a TV spectator. How do they explain how this pendulum moves when they don't believe they are purposely moving it?
That's an interesting perspective Darby. Definitely feeling the pendlum moving is more inherently intruiging and amazing than watching it. But I have seen people react very strongly to just seeing a pendlum move in my hands or the hands of another performer.

So perhaps there is a means of amping up the experience for the home viewer. My first thought is to do something like Michael Fraughton's "To Controll 10,000 Minds" from his classic Dark Waltz. For those who don't know this it is a brilliant radio effect where crazy things start happening in the studio then spread to the home audience. Michael's description of the call in responses from the home audience is impressive. (I wouldn't be shocked to find out Kreskin did something like this on his TV show though I can't recall seeing it).

Sticking with viewers and not having them participate, my other thought relates to your question about how the participant handling a pendulum experiences and explains the phenomenon. Of course this is in a large part related to how the effect is presented. Do we explain ideomotor response? Do we offer a "shopping list" including all the explanations given over the years and let everyone decide for themselves? Or do we go full out spirit contact?

I think how this is approached could have a huge effect on the home audiences reaction to a television performance. And, as indicated above, we don't know that Steve didn't do more in this area only to have it end up on the cutting room floor.

All this is very good food for thought. And, as always, thanks for the very kind reviews everyone.
Just a quick note to say that I performed this last night at a celebrity birthday bash here in Miami, and I did it very much like Steve did in his TV special. Everyone got a key hanging on a nice purple ribbon, we did some quick experiments with the pendulum, people were laughing, goofing off, having fun, one girl was pregnant and we even figured out the sex of the baby ... then I brought one person up, they held their key in their own hands ... a moment of silence ... concentration ... energy ... and the darn thing came out BENT!

Everyone wanted a look at the bent key! I'm not sure who ended up keeping it but everyone wanted it!

I added this to my set a couple of days before the party because I thought this particular crowd would enjoy it (mostly actors/crew recently involved in a major sci-fi film), and I was right!

I don't have any metal bending in my set at the moment and this key bend proved to be quite a treat! I'm going to develop a more original routine for it and make it a permanent part of my set.

As a thank you to Dr. Bill ... at this very moment I am sending energy to his kitchen and more specifically to his silverware drawer ... and I am WILLING a piece of silverware to BEND ... RIGHT NOW ... BEND ... BEND ... BEND ... BEND ... BEND ... BEND ... BEND ... BEND....

I'm not kidding, Bill.

Go look.
I woke up this morning and all the good silver was gone! Alex, where were you last night between the hours of 2 and 4 am?
For those who are interested I shared a quite personal 'kind of' review [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=489082&forum=303&40&start=30#9]here![/url]

Note: This review is about Dr. Bill's Bend and not about Alexandre's mysterious remote silverware vanish routine. ;)

Cheers
Th.
No it isn't. My bad as I didn't have to take the bait! Thanks, Thomas, for getting things back on track. And for your very thorough and flattering review.
I highly recommend Dr. Bill's latest. I posted a few prelimary thoughts on another forum. If you are interested in key-bending or otherwise, you will find some great routines and ideas that push the limits of the genre. Excellent work, here is the other thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=489082&forum=303&41
Thank you Sean, I value your feedback highly. I can't wait to see where you take things.

Speaking of feedback, Jheff Poncher just posted his review of Dr. Bill's Bend on Maketplace of the Mind. For those of you who don't get his newsletter:

MY COMMENTS:

This effect by Dr. Bill was one of the highlights of a
collection of material on pendulums which he has now made
into a separate e-book. This powerful routine is a
brilliant merging of the always-strong pendulum routine and
key bending. It involves numerous members of the audience,
if not all of them, and has the components of an incredibly
entertaining and effective routine. There's really not that
much more to say about this that's not in the blurb, except
that this requires no gimmicks and relies on just the
handling of the keys and the participants.

Included within this twenty-seven page PDF is the Dr. Bill's
Bend routine, some really terrific bonus ideas, excellent
additional ideas from Banachek, a presentation from Steve
Cohen (who performed it on his Discovery Channel special),
Mauricio Jaramillo's "Pender Bender," and an excerpt from
Dr. Bill's TRYBIL on the pendulum. The only consideration
is whether or not you do metal bending routines and, if you
do, this is something that you really should consider.

I'm very flattered for such a wonderful review from Jheff. He doesn't pull punches.
See my post here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=489082&forum=303&49&start=30
Thank you Richard. I'm extremely flattered!
I know this is going to seem like a shameless bump, but I have to thank Mauricio Jaramillo for the beautiful banner ad he made for me as you can see when you open L & G. And for his work on the ad it leads to. And on the ebook that ad leads to. An on and on and on.
I've been using pendulums since I was about 9 ( in the 1960's ). In the 80's I learned a routine from Doc Hilford.

Dr. Bill's Bend is INCREDIBLE! Steve Cohen�s work on it pure theater. Just wonderful.

I think this would be wonderful with Steve Fearson's Free Energy!

GET THIS!!!

http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/dr-bills-bend.html
Guys, I have NO idea who Zombie Magic is but he might be my new best friend! Wow, thank you for such gracious words. The way DBB is being received means a lot to me as a creator.
I'm having my annual Holiday Sale, this time with a 40% discount on all ebooks (except Dr. Bill's Bend due to exclusivity)! For more details go:[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=492846&forum=95&0]HERE![/url]
[quote]
[/quote]

Your prediction was correct.

I have used the routine three times now at holiday events and it gets better every time.

Thank you.

Mr. Chushman has had the Penguin artist treatment! [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3122]Dr. Bill's Bend[/url]

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/products/original/6314a-50d482b7b99a4.jpg[/img]
Anyone know of a performance / demo video online anywhere? I know it's on the History Channel special but that is only available through purchase at $25.95.
Thank you
I found it on iTunes for 5 bucks under Lost Magic Decoded
Barnstormer, thanks for sharing that. I love hearing about people's performances of my effects. Video is even better!

Zombie Magic, what a cool thing to do. I really appreciate it and one day I'm going to figure out who you are.

Pan, Brent is correct. You can also pick it up at Amazon's Instant Downloads, possibly for $4.

For those of you outside the US, Aubrey de Wet posted the following on the DBB thread in Mentally Speaking:

"Gents, I'm from South Africa and have the same iTunes issues. If you want to watch the sepcial, buy it from the US iTunes store by creating a US iTunes account
like this:
http://www.pffft.co.za/stuff/how-to-create-a-us-itunes-account-without-a-sa-credit-card

It works. You will then load store credit from buying gift vouchers from third parties. That, or watch The History Channel 24/7 until it airs in your country..."

People in other countries have had success this way, so a round of applause to Aubrey for sharing. Steve Cohen didn't even know how his friends and family outside the US could watch his special until I wrote him about this!

Am I allowed to plug my 40% off Holiday Sale (sorry, DBB not included)
[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=492846&forum=95&0]HERE![/url]? Oops!
US customers, I just found Steve Cohen's TV special "Lost Magic Decoded" for $1.98 [url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TUPYWG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p318_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0R3GB8MGT5SR00N3760P&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846]HERE![/url]
Bill, thank you for finding that for us!

Zombie
Once again, Aubrey de Wet comes through for customers outside the US. He wrote me:

Hi Dr Bill. Here is a site that sells the definitive iTunes Gift Card that you can point people to.

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/Category/iTunes-Gift-Cards/

Aubrey

Thanks Aubrey! I'm sure you've made a lot of people very happy by sharing this.