(Close Window)
Topic: Just starting to add broken glass walking into my show.. Any advice from the experienced here?
I'm a Mentalist/Magician for the last 12 years or so...

Planning on adding broken glass walking into my Show, I have studied it quite a bit...

Just hoping for any added advice especially on practicality of transport and setup during Shows, especially from those who have done this for years.

"The things they don' t teach you in class" basically... ;)

Thanks in advance.
Keep super glue handy.
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Nov 20, 2012 11:53PM)
... that's a pretty good idea.
[quote]
On 2012-11-20 23:56, Rotten wrote:
Keep super glue handy.
[/quote]

Seriously?

For the cuts?

:wow:

I'll have a first aid kit but super glue, you're kidding right?
Nope. Last month I had two huge gashes I had to glue shut. They make a medical grade which I should recommend. And carry a change of socks.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 21, 2012 09:54AM)
No, he's not kidding. Super glue (cyanoacrylate compounds) were invented during the Vietnam war for field suture. What's it say on the bottle? "bonds skin instantly". That's what it was designed for. Some "genius" figured they could formulate it for consumer use as a plain glue. It has been commercially sold to the medical industry as "Dermabond". Gluing wounds is nothing new.... matter of fact, it's ancient... Egyptians used resins to patch up wounded soldiers. I have saved literally thousands of dollars in potential hospital bills by super gluing deep lacerations that would normally require stitches.

Now, about your original query.... IMHO you shouldn't need the glue because you shouldn't get cut. Now I know I will probably hear from everyone something opposite, but I have done the glass walk, jump, on the face, etc. Never had a cut. One time I had a tiny sliver of glass embed in my heel. No blood, no cut, just a glass splinter.

Continuing: Others WILL chime in here.... I highly advise against using a true stunt as a part of an illusion show. You will confuse your audience. They may believe it is fake glass, another illusion. Then they will assume ALL glasswalkers are faking it. A good presentation of the stunt ALONG with the illusions (and stating very clearly, "THIS IS NOT A TRICK!") may make it work for you. There have been a few successful illusion/sideshow crossover acts.... there have been many many bad ones.

TGN
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 21, 2012 09:58AM)
Oh, and for set up.... depending on venue (and ability), drink a bottle of beer in 5 seconds (I can do it, so can you). Smash the bottle to prove its real, use the 'good bits' and add to a canvas full of shards. Store the glass in a plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid for storage and transport.

If you don't know what the 'good bits' are, STOP immediately and seek a qualified professional to teach you.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 21, 2012 11:31AM)
As Pakar Ilusi and Nipps discuss Super Glue and the Art of walking on Bud and Coors Light bottles...
The Curator having just finished playing a Successful route of Blanks...
And has parked the BCS in the Barn...
Looks forward to knawing on some Turkey, spending time w/ Family and friends...
And being Thankful that All of Us have Good Health, sound Mind, and the Right to even partake in this thing called the Sideshow...

Happy Thanksgiving!...
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 12:31, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
sound Mind, and the Right to even partake in this thing called the Sideshow...
[/quote]

Can't have both.
For transport I got a 5 gallon bucket w/ lid and a 4' x 15' canvas tarp. My wife helped me sew the tarp into a double thick bag about 30" x 48". I lay the tarp down (4 cushy layers) and pour the glass out really slow. After the walking/jumping/what-have-you, I burrito wrap the glass in the tarp and the whole thing fits in the bucket. The bucket is great but someday I want to get a galvanized bucket, it would sound even better when I shake it around.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 21, 2012 04:53PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 16:30, Todd Robbins wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 12:31, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
sound Mind, and the Right to even partake in this thing called the Sideshow...
[/quote]

Can't have both.
[/quote]

True! However there are exceptions... perhaps that is why there is only less then a Handfull of Rags still on the Midway....
I walked on glass 12 times in October and was only cut twice. I suppose if you sifted after every show it would be safer. I can't be bothered. But every time you walk or jump it breaks into smaller and sharper pieces.

I tend to jump REALLY high... It's been three weeks for the cut on my heel and almost four for the one in the sole of my foot. "Shouldn't get cut" Sure, I suppose you shouldn't. But some claim to have sound minds when we know otherwise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89789677@N05/8206571591/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89789677@N05/8207642890/in/photostream
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 21, 2012 11:29PM)
In the old Circus Programs it said "Due to the Hazardous Nature of Circus Performing, This program is subject to Change" Having said that, and having personally spent over 12 years on Tent shows that moved everyday, played 220+ cities in 8 months, translating to 2 shows a Day, and myself performing in No less then 2 acts per show, meaning I took to the Ring or air over 880 times during a typical season, risking far more then a cut...No offense Rotten, but getting cut twice on a Glass walk in only twelve attempts is not something I would be proud of...In six+ years walking wire I fell once to the ground breaking a ankle..I consider that 1 falter inexcusable...On the shows I worked, you get hurt, you work, or you don't get paid..when I broke my Ankle, Big John Strong (yes Jr's Father)fired his Office Mgr, and replaced him w/ me..Not many Show owners would do that today, nor yesterday for that matter...The object is to have a thrilling and exciting act, yet always in control and taking minimum of risk by having practised the risk out...otherwise, one has reduced themselves to a simple Daredevil in which I highly doubt the pay is in the realm of Evel Knievel wages... On a side note, The infamous Hogjaw used to joke that it also said in the Program "Our Clowns are NOT to laughed at!" (it hurts thier feelings)
Oh, I am proud Jim. And you are a rock star.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 22, 2012 12:34AM)
I am nothin of the sort...
Many Folks read this Blog looking for sound advice...
Telling these Folks that you can't be Bothered by sifting...is quite frankly your way of doing things...
All I am telling them is be Professional...
and the Professionals I know do not take Foolish risks...
There is NO substitute for knowledge, and preparedness...
Practice doesn't make Perfect, but it comes D@mn close...
Unfortunately, I have to give a little History to add credibility to my opinions...
as there are many pretenders here...
I can very easily never post here again and my Bottom line would not change...
However, when I started out I longed for information...Yet, there were no blogs...and Secrets were to a First O'May, mostly Secrets...
Obviously, You are the "Star"...(as I heard they gave you a Major Award @ the Gathering)...
So Disregard my writings as they are of no use to you...
Yet, if my experiences can help just 1 smuck,... Uh, What do you care?...
I've done some sideshow stunts (fire; traps; human pincushion), but will never consider either glass walking or sword ladder.
I have this 'thing' about cut feet--made worse by being diabetic.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 22, 2012 11:05AM)
Jim, it's pronounced "schmuck".

From,
the only Jew in the group... go figure, all inked, pierced, got an Italian wife, and I love bacon.
I have never claimed to be a role model. And what I do is not advised by me. I'm just honest to a fault about my bad decisions... Sift your glass kids.

Oh, and you are a rock start to me!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 22, 2012 01:49PM)
Look, personally, I think you should continue with what works for you...However that's not how they Roll here...They like it for Folks to shell out $700 bones to the Coney Island School...Y'know, give them a taste of the ole Blockhead, teach em a few party tricks to amuse their co-workers without really teaching them anything...Then/or, if they are/get serious, they contact Harley...or, they say F@#K it and get a Higley...But mainly they don't want Pakar Ilusi cutting his feet, Blowing Fireballs w/ Aviation Fuel,Electrocuting the Fiance', revealing the Thumb-tip, using their one-liners or stealing their Bar Gigs...Its all Good...Just don't make my mistakes, These Café' Guys play rough!...Believe me...
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 06:13, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-20 23:56, Rotten wrote:
Keep super glue handy.
[/quote]

Seriously?

For the cuts?

:wow:

I'll have a first aid kit but super glue, you're kidding right?
[/quote]

nope its so that if you need a drink part way through your show you can select the correct jigsaw pieces and re-make a glass to have a drink.

Nah I'm messing with you ....... its for the cuts ..... and defenitly not for sniffing!

just don't spill it on your fingers as you push the two sides of the cut together or you might find the rest of the night difficult.

Nipps - do they really make a pain free variant for medical uses? ... I would not have wanted to be the sucker having the painful vertion tested on me!
Always make sure you take the bits of label out of the glass. That stuff is dangerous.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 23, 2012 02:59PM)
Yeah, you wouldn't want to get a papercut. :rolleyes:
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Nov 23, 2012 04:27PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-22 11:09, Steve_Mollett wrote:
I've done some sideshow stunts (fire; traps; human pincushion), but will never consider either glass walking or sword ladder.
I have this 'thing' about cut feet--made worse by being diabetic.
[/quote]

Wise move. I'm a nurse in "real life" and I've seen diabetic foot injuries that just refuse to heal; not pleasant.

In the healthcare vein, I've been thinking. Super glue is a really good idea for emergency repairs, but if you're not confident in your ability to clean, debride, and glue your wound shut... you should probably go to a doctor. It'd be pretty easy to seal an infection or slivers of glass in if you didn't know what you were doing.
I agree with Eric. I have no authority to give advice as I am a professional idiot. Please disregard my careless comments but enjoy my careless performance.
The ides of having sealed slithers of glass inside a wound (at the same time as sticking my hand to my foot) is to an appealing one ..... Even for someone who is not diabetic.

What makes foot wounds so bad for diabetics?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 24, 2012 07:53AM)
Reduced circulation to the lower extremeties. Same reason scar tissue shouldn't be pierced or tattooed. You see, blood carries all the stuff your bodt needs to live and heal from wounds. When the blood has difficulty getting to the wound, there is an increased chance of bacteria proliferating at a high rate. With no white blood cells to fight off micro organisms, small cuts can get so out of hand that death can result. More often than not, many diabetics lose their legs below the knee. Obesity and old age make things even worse. So, here in America where 62% of the population is overweight AND that we have some of the longest lifespans on Earth... it's almost common knowledge.
[quote]
On 2012-11-21 10:54, thegreatnippulini wrote:

Continuing: Others WILL chime in here.... I highly advise against using a true stunt as a part of an illusion show. You will confuse your audience. They may believe it is fake glass, another illusion. Then they will assume ALL glasswalkers are faking it. A good presentation of the stunt ALONG with the illusions (and stating very clearly, "THIS IS NOT A TRICK!") may make it work for you. There have been a few successful illusion/sideshow crossover acts.... there have been many many bad ones.

TGN
[/quote]

No need to worry here, no more Magic or Illusions in my Shows from now on... ;)

And...

Thanks for the advise everyone! Will put to good use... ;)

[quote]
On 2012-11-21 10:58, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Oh, and for set up.... depending on venue (and ability), drink a bottle of beer in 5 seconds (I can do it, so can you). Smash the bottle to prove its real, use the 'good bits' and add to a canvas full of shards. Store the glass in a plastic bucket with a tight fitting lid for storage and transport.

If you don't know what the 'good bits' are, STOP immediately and seek a qualified professional to teach you.
[/quote]

Am doing the bottle breaking but Malaysia is a Muslim Country, no beer drinking onstage for sure... ;)
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 25, 2012 02:22PM)
I see, I do understand, then I was in Thailand the view is pretty much the same. Well, see if you can find some glass bottled D'Nar Cola!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 25, 2012 03:02PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:06, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]

but Malaysia is a Muslim Country,... ;)
[/quote]

Hmmm, Can you still steal one-liners and Bar Gigs?...
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 16:02, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:06, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]

but Malaysia is a Muslim Country,... ;)
[/quote]

Hmmm, Can you still steal one-liners and Bar Gigs?...
[/quote]

:P
Cheers Nipps. I knew these that diabetics had feet problems but had never known why.

So no piercing or inking scar tissue. Can I get a zip tattooed at the end of my scars that run up my legs?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 26, 2012 02:45PM)
That all depends upon the discretion and/or ability of the tattoo artist. I knoe people who have had football tattoos to go with stitching on surgical scars (yes, American football). Zippers have been done for a long time, especially on heart surgery scars.
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Nov 26, 2012 03:55PM)
Zippers up C-section scars are also all the rage, it seems.
Dang how do you ret inside the heart to do zippers on the scars on the heart?

So if I came to you Nipps what would recomend on my scars? If I wanted to be more original than a zipper?
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 27, 2012 07:29PM)
I couldn't say, I am a mere body piercer.... no inking at all. Of course I do love my own tatts, and getting tatts. Its entirely a personal decision.
Ok, we are on to tatoos now... :P
Pakar,
I've self taught myself to walk on glass. it was easy, I've never cut myself and I even put my face in it and let my GF stand on my head.
I made the mistake of teaching a few people how to do it, and now they go to my gigs and tell everyone in the audience how easy it is and ruin that bit.

it's all drama. act like it hurts and you're afraid and all that. be a showman, 'cause it's not a hard stunt to do!
so if you do it, don't let anyone else walk on your glass!
All drama? You will get cut eventually. Many times, if you do it much. Just remember to laugh at yourself about it!
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Nov 29, 2012 11:57AM)
Be a dramatic showman but remember to laugh at yourself. Sounds just contradictory enough to be show business! ;)
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 29, 2012 01:18PM)
How come no one ever trys the Bullet catch on the Fly???...w/out Pro assistance? using a .22??? or a .38???...
I'll guess I've walked in glass over 1000 times over the last few years. I've jumped in it, I've danced in it, I've rolled around in it, I pick by the handful with bare hands, I've stuck my face in it at least 50 times, I've even eaten a few bits. I've done it in bars, raves, colleges, theaters, fairs, offices, in the park and at home.
I've been cut only once, that was from breaking the bottles!

it's not hard, and if you're not an idiot then it's not dangerous. every now and then I get some nerd telling me how his physics professor does it all the time and how easy it is and how safe.

but no one wants to see you do something that's easy and safe on stage. if you treat it as easy and safe as it is, it'll be a stupid bit in your show. if you act scared and in pain, people will be shocked and amazed and love it and tell you how great you are.

until you teach a friend how to do it and she gets drunk at one of your shows and runs on stage and does a dance in your glass right after you just acted like it's a big deal. don't teach your friends!!
[quote]
On 2012-11-29 12:46, scaress wrote:
Pakar,
I've self taught myself to walk on glass. it was easy, I've never cut myself and I even put my face in it and let my GF stand on my head.
I made the mistake of teaching a few people how to do it, and now they go to my gigs and tell everyone in the audience how easy it is and ruin that bit.

it's all drama. act like it hurts and you're afraid and all that. be a showman, 'cause it's not a hard stunt to do!
so if you do it, don't let anyone else walk on your glass!
[/quote]

I've studied it and I agree. It's selling the danger that's the "show".

Thanks. ;)
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 30, 2012 12:54AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-30 01:25, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
[quote]

I've studied it and I agree. It's selling the danger that's the "show".

Thanks. ;)
[/quote]

In Show Biz parlance... "Its not the Steak, Its the Sizzle!!!"...
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 30, 2012 12:18PM)
That's what sold the Ginsu knives back in the 80's. Crap steel, great pitch.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 30, 2012 01:56PM)
No I was refering to little Skill, Great Showmanship...The truly Great Ones have Both...
[quote]
[/quote]

I've been doing this bit a LOT, never cut myself. You MUST know what to avoid when picking shards. That's pretty much the whole 'gaff'. I even do the whole walk to the center and JUMP bit.

Transport...I agree with the bucket. I prefer a painted up large spackle bucket with a nice tight lid. I use a tight weave tarp for the walk itself, which makes it easier to pour back into whatever vessel you choose for transport after the show.
[quote]
On 2012-11-29 12:50, Harley Newman wrote:
All drama? You will get cut eventually. Many times, if you do it much. Just remember to laugh at yourself about it!
[/quote]

Eh, what do we know.... Perhaps we are just tender foots. :)

http://www.theriaults.com/default/index.cfm?LinkServID=F1F6B52C-BDB9-3413-D6B0A7098C7BF120&cid=46&r=18&aid=10880
Hmmm...could mold one of those in acrylic.
Did you notice that none of the posts above mentions ... they all wear shoes? Solves all your problems right there!
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Jan 4, 2013 04:02PM)
So, it turns out that those little itty bitty tiny cuts that don't hurt bad at all start hurting after a day of hiking on them. (Yeah, I was inspired to check out glasswalking in-depth for myself.)
Here is a take it to the next level idea. After you walk on glass, put it away and pour out a big bag of leggos... It should get a big laugh and even bigger cringes from the audience. Everyone who has ever stepped on one will know that your bravery has no bounds.
And you could start with baby Lego (other [url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-Bloks-Classic-Buildable-Pieces/dp/B0083F2XCW/ref=sr_1_3?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1370418067&sr=1-3&keywords=lego+baby]brands and sizes available[/url]. In fact you could start with the large stuff and work your way down to the really small stuff.

One could also make a 'bed of nails' with some towers and the pyramid pointy roof bricks and an animal trap out of Technic Lego.

I think you have 'discovered' a whole new range for the Lego brand (or other building block brands) you should put a proposlal for 'Lego Sideshow' together and go and pitch it to Lego (pun intended!),
Now we're on to Legos. :P
Six degrees!
There is no such thing as "Legos." That's a stupid made up american word. Plural of Lego is Lego. What do I know, I like to eat fishes and think glass can cut me.