(Close Window)
Topic: FOB by World Magic Shop
Looks great, nice possibilities

http://youtu.be/Yg23UIydGxI
That looks REALLY good. Typical David Penn brilliant performance.

This is something I would use. PLEASE let Penguin carry it!

Pic:

[img]http://www.worldmagicshop.com//v/vspfiles/photos/FOBDVD-2T.gif[/img]
Looks good. But here we go again, to many edits in the demo to be sure this is just not your typical switch of the card. Will have to wait for reviews for this. Just don't understand why they won't put out a full demo video.

RNK
I thought the demo showed about as much as you could. I mean, we kind of know what it is. The card is inside the clear container and...you switch it. The beauty of it is the card is in full view ( something Tommy Wonder didn't like about card to wallet ).

If you watch the switch, you can figure out the gimmick
It looks good and practical.

Reminds me of a slimmer version of Cameron Francis "Freshmint"(which is also excellent).I hate this term which seems to be used all the time in magic but " it's very organic"

Looking forward to Michael getting this in at Magicbox. I have worked out the method, but I think it's very practical and will be very popular.

Mike Donoghue
Everyone knows that Dave is one of my best friends but I have to say this is great.

I have been lucky enough to have one for a while now and its now a permanent addition to my Keymaster keyring.

One of the best things is how much you can do with this prop. I have 4 different routines I can go into with just a deck of cards and the Fob gimmick.

Trust me, this is going to be one of the MUST HAVE items of 2012/2013.

Craig
Wow.. This take no pocket space and play really huge ! I have to get my hand on it :O
Hi Guys,

We are very proud of our new release – FOB and World Magic Shop currently has Free Worldwide Shipping on all Pre Orders!

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/FOB_by_David_Penn_and_Joe_Morell_p/fobdvd.htm

INFO:

FOB is the perfect finale to your existing card and mentalism routines.

EFFECT: A folded card is isolated inside a clear key FOB that never leaves the spectator’s sight. At the conclusion of your favourite card routine, the card is cleanly removed from the FOB and it turns out to be their signed selection.

“That is just BEAUTIFUL!” Shawn Farquhar - A FISM World Champion

FOB can also be used with bills, billets, photographs, in fact any item that can fit inside the FOB.

FOB may look innocent, but in fact, this is a precision made gimmick that allows you to ISOLATE THE IMPOSSIBLE.

That is ****ING AMAZING! I will keep this on me 24/7
Joe Monte

“FOB is the perfect open prediction effect. Now you have the ‘key’ to travel back to the future with your spectators.”
Mickael Chatelain

All the best, Jon
Can you put like a picture inside ? Because, imagine having a picture of someone you love or something like that inside the FOB. Then, go for a card routine or something like they choose a number, a pattern, anything. When you pull the picture out of the FOB, the card, pattern, number they choose is written at the back of it ! Just an idea.
I like it, very cool.
[quote]
On 2012-11-23 13:39, Craig Petty wrote:

Trust me, this is going to be one of the MUST HAVE items of 2012/2013.

[/quote]

Based on that demo, I think you are right. I've used the Mystery Box and people freak out. To have the card in plain view will have similar reactions!
This is a great looking effect but it would take quite a lot to make me change from Paperclipped. Is there any real advantage to this effect?
Yes, a paperclip is simpler and more organic (and 1000th of the price). This looks a bit proppy to me.
[quote]
On 2012-11-23 14:32, jugglestruck wrote:
This is a great looking effect but it would take quite a lot to make me change from Paperclipped. Is there any real advantage to this effect?
[/quote]

Paperclipped is INCREDIBLE. I think the reactions would be similar.

But, I'm still open to giving this one a go.
Does look kinda similar to Frsh Mint but on a key ring. Looks really nice, though!
[quote]
On 2012-11-23 16:42, Cameron Francis wrote:
Does look kinda similar to Frsh Mint but on a key ring. Looks really nice, though!
[/quote]

I would say it works similar as your Fresh Mint does. I do it with Tic Tacs as you caught and it looks like a similar switch.
The removal of the outer case on FOB looks totally unnatural. Dai Vernon talked about being natural, this advice has been ignored.

Dave removes the outer casing by bringing his hand up in front of the case in a vertical position and obscures the whole case before removal. The more natural way to do it would be for the hand to approach the case horizontally and pull it off that way. Also, you wouldn't normally need to obscure the entire case in doing so. The spectator might not know what you did but they'll know you did something because of the unnatural action, thereby weakening the effect.

Compare this to Cameron's Fresh Mint where the removal of the contents of a tic tac box looks entirely natural and the lid stays in view throughout.

Cameron wins this one. By miles.
When you remove the outer casing with the right hand, can you show this hand empty afterwards (apart from the outer casing of course)? If yes, then there is no suspicion of any switch in the spectator's mind...
Looks great :)

I'm a card to impossible location junkie.

Really like the fact its on a set of keys rather than a box or a tin.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 07:19, doriancaudal wrote:
When you remove the outer casing with the right hand, can you show this hand empty afterwards (apart from the outer casing of course)? If yes, then there is no suspicion of any switch in the spectator's mind...
[/quote]

David did flash his hand showing it empty (aside) from the case, near the end of the video. However, I have no clue if that's possible or if it was edited.

I could see attaching this to my Ring Flight Revolution & having quite a bit of magic on my key chain.
Not familiar with freshmint but first thing I thought was modern day paper clipped. Non the less I am interested in a review of this... Huge fan of packs small plays big.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 08:07, M Sini wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 07:19, doriancaudal wrote:
[/quote]

David did flash his hand showing it empty (aside) from the case, near the end of the video. However, I have no clue if that's possible or if it was edited.
[/quote]

Would be good if Dave or Craig, or somedoby else could confirm that it is indeed possible or not...
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 05:41, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
The removal of the outer case on FOB looks totally unnatural. Dai Vernon talked about being natural, this advice has been ignored.

[/quote]

You rang?

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/vernon.png[/img]
I agree about how it looks a bit unnatural. Surely you would just use your fingers to remove the outer case? The spectators would not be sure exactly what happened but I think they would have an idea when it happened! Shame really as the idea is great and outstrips the card to wallet for ingenuity and no need to wear a jacket etc. Also edited out I suspect is the main move a M*****y C**d F**d. and I must have missed the ditch of the other card or was that edited out as well? How about a demo without the cars and the garage and instead an unedited performance from a spectators viewpoint?
Nothing beats The Light from Chris Congreave for me.
Ok, so its not transparent but it is very organic, and they can hold it from the start.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Nov 24, 2012 11:26AM)
I like the look of it and am also a card to impossible location junkie, so have ordered, looking forward to receiving it, most items can be adapated with a bit of playing around with it to suit your own performance style
Looks pretty unnatural to me the way the fob is removed. Can the hand be shown at the end of the routine empty as its implied in the video or is this an edit? I think The Light by Chris Congreave is just as powerful, and it may not be visible for the entire routine, the lighter can be in the spectators hand so theres no need to change for me.
Those saying its unatural need to consider that a) we know there is a switch and b) its done right to camera, which I think is a pretty fair demo. In real life. Card will vanish or whatever, you'll point to fob, they react and in that moment you do the business. Looks good to me.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 14:03, Paul S Wingham wrote:
Those saying its unatural need to consider that a) we know there is a switch and b) its done right to camera, which I think is a pretty fair demo. In real life. Card will vanish or whatever, you'll point to fob, they react and in that moment you do the business. Looks good to me.
[/quote]

I agree. I thought the demo was VERY fair. I like the idea of carrying your "Lucky Card" or whatever, with your keys. You carry your keys anyway, so it the ultimate in pocket management.

When it comes to Penguin, I'll pick it up.
Trust me guys, this product is totally natural. The switch just flys by spectators.

I like The Light - I think it's great but I also love Fob. To be honest Fob is now something I carry around with me all the time. I have it on my keys along with Keymaster Reloaded and Ring Flight Revolution - I literally have a 15 minute act on my keyring. You can give the keys to the spectator from the beginning - they can hold the keys and the fob from the very beginning. In fact I have a handling where I draw attention to a picture of my son in the fob. I then hand them the keys and when they look at them later there is now a card there - kind of a transpo between a picture and a card.

The possibilities with this gimmick are endless. I also do a prediction routine, a confabulation and a killer card prediction thing. Basically if you like the idea of showing a card in a key fob and being able to switch it for a signed card - thus is for you.

By the way someone mentioned the fob looks cheap. Dave and WMS had this gimmick plastic moulded from the ground up specifically for this trick. It looks just like a regular key fob - you wouldn't want it to look different to what it does as that would make it less organic. I can tell you this though. The gimmick should last you a lifetime!

I know Dave is busy with gigs at the moment so if I can answer any questions I will try to help.

Thanks

Craig.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 14:26, Craig Petty wrote:
Trust me guys, this product is totally natural. The switch just flys by spectators.

I like The Light - I think it's great but I also love Fob. To be honest Fob is now something I carry around with me all the time. I have it on my keys along with Keymaster Reloaded and Ring Flight Revolution - I literally have a 15 minute act on my keyring. You can give the keys to the spectator from the beginning - they can hold the keys and the fob from the very beginning. In fact I have a handling where I draw attention to a picture of my son in the fob. I then hand them the keys and when they look at them later there is now a card there - kind of a transpo between a picture and a card.

The possibilities with this gimmick are endless. I also do a prediction routine, a confabulation and a killer card prediction thing. Basically if you like the idea of showing a card in a key fob and being able to switch it for a signed card - thus is for you.

By the way someone mentioned the fob looks cheap. Dave and WMS had this gimmick plastic moulded from the ground up specifically for this trick. It looks just like a regular key fob - you wouldn't want it to look different to what it does as that would make it less organic. I can tell you this though. The gimmick should last you a lifetime!

I know Dave is busy with gigs at the moment so if I can answer any questions I will try to help.

Thanks

Craig.
[/quote]

Yep this looks like Camerons effect with a different prop..I'm sure that the boys will have credited though...ahem !!! (ducks for cover !!!!)
Craig, can you show your fob "empty" after the removal of the cap of the fob? And can THEY remove the card from the fob and look at it directly?
Hey Dorian

As soon as you have taken the cover off the fob the switch has taken place. At this point they could remove the card from the inner container if you want them to. A lot of the time I take the card out of the inner container with tweezers (which I carry with me for a coin routine) and hand them the tweezers with the card.

Regarding the cover there are numerous handling a discussed on the DVD. One of my favourite handlings allows you to show the fob cover empty as soon as it is taken off. Although to be honest from experience I can tell you the focus is on the card and not the cover.

My advise to anyone unsure about FOB is to wait for some reviews before purchasing. I know the product will be we'll received, anyone on the fence maybe it's best to wait for a review from someone that isn't best friends with the creator!!!!

Craig
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 14:36, Ray Chelt wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 14:26, Craig Petty wrote:

Thanks

Craig.
[/quote]

Yep this looks like Camerons effect with a different prop..I'm sure that the boys will have credited though...ahem !!! (ducks for cover !!!!)
[/quote]
Cameron has been polite so far. I suspect the temperature of his blood will be rising with every post made!
Oh Jamie you never change!

You always make me laugh, thank you.

Craig
The Fact that you said to wait for those on the fense for reviews makes me respect you even more, well done. I will have to wait for a few reviews and congrats on your new child. Mine is 5 months old yesterday and trust me I feel your pain and joy.... Lots of pics cause my monsters is a different person then he was week one.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 15:00, Craig Petty wrote:
Hey Dorian

As soon as you have taken the cover off the fob the switch has taken place. At this point they could remove the card from the inner container if you want them to. A lot of the time I take the card out of the inner container with tweezers (which I carry with me for a coin routine) and hand them the tweezers with the card.

Regarding the cover there are numerous handling a discussed on the DVD. One of my favourite handlings allows you to show the fob cover empty as soon as it is taken off. Although to be honest from experience I can tell you the focus is on the card and not the cover.

My advise to anyone unsure about FOB is to wait for some reviews before purchasing. I know the product will be we'll received, anyone on the fence maybe it's best to wait for a review from someone that isn't best friends with the creator!!!!

Craig
[/quote]

Thanks very much for this detailed answer Craig, I am in! :)
Thanks mate, I am loving being a father! Changes everything.

My friend Paul Green suggested I take a picture of him every week in the same position in a chair with the same background etc and do this every week for 18 years. Then use animation to morph it together. It should look amazing and make a great 18th birthday present if we both have the dedication to keep it up. We are managing it at the moment!!!

Craig
I go by gut feelings on things and I have such a great one about FOB.

Craig, does David Penn do the teaching on the DVD? I have his Executive Wallet and Hypno Aces and his thinking on routines, audience management, etc. is always gold. I got the Executive Wallet just to get the DVD, that's how good I think he is.
Yep Dave did the DVD, without me I might add!

I think when I turned up in a hoodie for his executive wallet DVD and he was in a suit that was the final
Straw! I think he thought his scruffy mate wouldn't fit in at a Porsche dealership where he filmed the explanations.

I have seen the DVD of course and its up to Dave's normal high standards!

Craig
Lucky I don't have a gig tonight so I can be on stand by to answer peoples questions!

Of course nappy changes might change that at a moments notice!

Craig
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 15:15, Zombie Magic wrote:
I go by gut feelings on things and I have such a great one about FOB.

Craig, does David Penn do the teaching on the DVD? I have his Executive Wallet and Hypno Aces and his thinking on routines, audience management, etc. is always gold. I got the Executive Wallet just to get the DVD, that's how good I think he is.
[/quote]
Yes, his teaching is excellent. I have his 21st Century Toppit, Coinvexed 1 & 2, Hypno Aces, Bottle Production, Lecture and street magic DVDs and I learnt a lot from his teaching beyond just the tricks he was presenting.
I personally cant wait. LookS way more natural than light.
The problem with Light is that the switch of the card is done as the card is taken out the lighter.

With FOB the switch is done as the cover is taken off the fob. Once this is done the card appears to be in the same position but is now switched. This allows the spectator to take the card out or for you to take it out very cleanly. In other words the switch is done on the off beat - during the actual removal of the card you are clean.

Of course I'm not saying The Light is bad - I'm just pointing out what I believe to be an advantage with fob

Craig
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 24, 2012 04:22PM)
That is super clean production on the demo, hats off. The effect looks just as good. For those who feel the way the FOB is "handled" when doing the "move" or "cover" isn't natural. I feel its all in the presentation, Dave does it in one swift motion. No stopping, then hands it to the spec to unfold without missing a beat. That's how it should be done. Truly endless possibilities. Well done World Magic Shop.
I believe like anything else it is attitude, taking off the fob looks fine to me, I'll be getting this for a closer to my ambitious.
I can see exactly what is going on with this, and I think it is great! I love this type of thing. The retention of vision is excellent. No one is going to think about what's in your hand when you pull the cover off. We as magicians are always looking for the "move". Laymen will not. The card is the focus, and it should be for you as well.

While nothing will take the place for my mystery box, I'll definitely add this to my arsenal for variety. I really like this.

And both Dave and Craig, thank you for your contributions to the magic world. You guys help to keep it exciting for the rest of us. Well done.
I have to completely disagree with everyone who says it is unnatural. I think the move is SO natural that it's throwing you off. In all honesty, if you where trying to slide a cover off of something in day to day life and it was a little slick, you would probably do something VERY similar to what Dave is doing to get it off. Just because he doesn't slide it only using his index finger and thumb in an overly showy and "watch me as I just take the cover off" way -- doesn't mean it is unnatural.

Just my two cents.
My blood's not boiling. :) While it seems like there are some similarities, my gut tells me that this is a little different than Fresh Mint in its workings. how much, I have no idea. Like I said before, looks good to me!
Can we just confirm that the trailer is accurate? The fob is removed, and instantly the cover can be shown empty and your hands empty apart from the fob with their card in it as per 2mins30secs in the trailer??
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 19:17, lukecloughmagic wrote:
Can we just confirm that the trailer is accurate? The fob is removed, and instantly the cover can be shown empty and your hands empty apart from the fob with their card in it as per 2mins30secs in the trailer??
[/quote]
Not instantly, no.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 18:40, Cameron Francis wrote:
My blood's not boiling. :) While it seems like there are some similarities, my gut tells me that this is a little different than Fresh Mint in its workings. how much, I have no idea. Like I said before, looks good to me!
[/quote]
I'm glad you're cool with it Cameron. That's why you're one of the most respected creators around.
So the trailer portrays something that cannot be done? e clearly takes the cover off, takes the card out, with both hands empty and then puts the cover back on again having shown both hands empty???
In the specific case you're referring to he hadn't l***** a c*** behind the gimmick. So it could look that clean in the trailer but not in a real life situation with a signed card.
At least they can never criticise anyone again for showing inaccurate trailers then... this is what I hate about effects, showing you something that is different to what it actually is.
I guess Dave could make the argument that the trailer represents what the spectator will remember rather than what actually happens.
Jamie can I ask how you can answer specific questions about fob without ever having seen it? You make sweeping statements about Cameron designed to cause trouble and now you answer questions as if you know the answer - you don't.

Like I said you are funny Jamie,
. You do make me laugh - and thanks for that.

Luke my advice to you mate is don't buy FOB. Earlier on you talked about how the demo looked unnatural and that you prefer The Light. So you obviously have something you are happy with that does the same effect and you clearly don't like the way fob handles. I think buying it would be a waste of money for you as you clearly wouldn't use it.

Cameron, I'm going to pm you if I can, I know you will love fob!

Everyone else thanks for the kind words on behalf of Dave. I wish I'd have invented the bloody thing!!!

Oh and to answer Luke's question (again) there is a handling on the DVD that allows the hands to be shown empty except for just the card the second the cover is removed. However the focus is never on the cover so this it not an issue. You must have missed me answer that question early Luke, but then again it is late.

Craig.
If the signed card be extracted as cleanly as the video shows at 2.30, without additional byplay that is not featured on the trailer, then I will send you a cheque for triple the price you're asking for one unit, as that's what I think it would be worth.

My chequebook and pen is in hand. I await with bated breath.
I've just rewatched the trailer at the 2.30 mark. What you see there is the handling I spoke about. That entire sequence is totally possible with fob and it does look that clean. With that handling you remove the cover, flash it in the other hand, take out the switched card and put everything away.

Does that answer your question Jamie? Or would you like to talk some more about how you know everything about how this effect is done?

Craig
Looks fantastic. That's all I have to say.
I'm not getting what item the plastic case is supposed to be mirroring. A plastic case for carrying folded playing cards on your key ring? I'm confused. What is that thing?
Dave showed this to me over Skype the other day. Seems like the perfect thing to keep on your keychain so you can perform an impromptu card to impossible location. I'll be getting one!
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 24, 2012 09:21PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 22:10, Exitmat wrote:
I'm not getting what item the plastic case is supposed to be mirroring. A plastic case for carrying folded playing cards on your key ring? I'm confused. What is that thing?
[/quote]

Perhaps a picture frame type thingy I believe I heard on the demo.
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 24, 2012 09:22PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 22:20, jprace wrote:
Dave showed this to me over Skype the other day. Seems like the perfect thing to keep on your keychain so you can perform an impromptu card to impossible location. I'll be getting one!
[/quote]

I agree. It is a very unique prop to have on you. Perhaps a blend with Extractor would be quite awesome to use with FOB as a kicker?
It's supposed to be mirroring a plastic case that fits on your key ring, that will hold a folded playing card. It's not meant to be an incognito device. It's a very simple design. It's obvious what's inside. I'd want someone to ask, "Hey, what's that?" It's a perfect way to segue into the effect.

Don't over think it. Do you really think they care? Nah ... They don't.
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 19:28, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
In the specific case you're referring to he hadn't l***** a c*** behind the gimmick. So it could look that clean in the trailer but not in a real life situation with a signed card.
[/quote]

Craig, if you say it can be done that clean then fine, I was going along with what I had been told as per the above statement. I like the idea of having something like this on my ringflight revolution keyring or even normal keyrings for when I don't take the light out, and just wanted to check it was as it seemed. Not a crime is it? I've already had David Penn texting me offering to show me it in person or skype, and if it is as it seems then I've no problem telling everyone here how great it is, so please don't be so defensive or patronising with comments such as (again) or "you must have missed that as its late" etc
I never saw this so my comment is a general comment.

we fool non magicians all day long with dbl lifts, palms, top switches, card forces etc

these things are designed to fool laymen

in his book designing miracles, darwin ortiz makes fun of those who are busy trying to make effects to fool magicians, its chapter worth reading, in short, its important to truly look at things from a laymens standpoint.

at the end of this effect or during this effect, I cannot imagine a laymen sitting there and saying the way it was taken out was or wasnt un-natural (she if you have to take it out behind your back or under a towel lol.

and last but not least is presentation, you can have 2 people do the same trick, one will get a standing ovation and one will put a audiance to sleep, ive seen pop haydn, bill malone, david regal do tricks that are classics and very popular, but when they do it, its full of life and everything is times to precision and the reaction they get is incredible.
Luke I'm not being patronising and if it came off that way I apologise. I am a little fed up with Jamie trying to sound important by answering questions when he has no idea what he is talking about but as I have said Jamie makes me laugh so I can forgive him.

My advice to you was genuine. It seemed you seemed happy with the light and a little negative to fob so I thought the best thing is not to get it. If you can see a place this might work into your act that's great !

As for the other comments on behalf on Dave - thank you.

Just so you know (as I'm not sure this is the case in the USA) a fob is a very popular item. Most people in the UK carry s plastic holder around on their keys with pictures etc inside. In fact they make very popular corporate giveaways!

Craig
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 04:01, Craig Petty wrote:
Luke I'm not being patronising and if it came off that way I apologise. I am a little fed up with Jamie trying to sound important by answering questions when he has no idea what he is talking about but as I have said Jamie makes me laugh so I can forgive him.

[/quote]

Yes his saving grace is he can be quite self-deprecatory.

Annoying beggar tho !!

:)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 21:18, Craig Petty wrote:
I've just rewatched the trailer at the 2.30 mark. What you see there is the handling I spoke about. That entire sequence is totally possible with fob and it does look that clean. With that handling you remove the cover, flash it in the other hand, take out the switched card and put everything away.

Does that answer your question Jamie? Or would you like to talk some more about how you know everything about how this effect is done?

Craig
[/quote]

It would be amusing to show the check for triple the amount from Jamie on WPR.

Or at least make a picture of it and post it here.

Of course, remove / blur out the actual account number.
I think you're ignoring the rules I stipulated barts185. To remind you...

"If the signed card be extracted as cleanly as the video shows at 2.30, without additional byplay that is not featured on the trailer, then I will send you a cheque for triple the price you're asking for one unit, as that's what I think it would be worth."

It sounds like there IS additional byplay (handling) not featured on the trailer.

I'm happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think I will be.

See Alakazam's trailer for Myth which shows an uninterrupted end to end performance. That's what I'd like to see here.

In the meantime my name is Davy Crockett and my chequebook stays in my pocket.
Craig, yes, people in the US do have little plastic picture holders on their key chains. It's not uncommon here. That's what FOB looks like to me.
I can tell you that in France, we have these little picture holder too !
I might have missed this but when is the release date?
The current plan is to start shipping on 17th December.

Although it could be sooner if the units are ready earlier.
Just been shown this on skype by David and I can say that the trailer is accurate and the moment I questioned can be done as cleanly as it looks. Clever method behind this and looking forward to playing around with it. Gets my vote!!!
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 16:31, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

[/quote]

Thanks Craig.
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 18:45, Ray Chelt wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Craig.
[/quote]

Jamie Ferguson is Craig Petty?

That would be very funny.
I have taken the plunge and parted with my cash. Can't wait until it arrives!
I was fortunate enough to see this from David & it really looks exactly as it is :) David showed me various handlings & I must say there are many possibilities for various routines !!

Looking Forward to picking a couple up :)
I may have missed this, but can the spectator handle the fob and the lid the effect?
Hi Bartelli,

If you wanted them to hold your keys and the fob during the performance that would not be a problem and everything can be examined after they have unfolded the card,

Kind Regards

Matthew
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 20:51, Craig Petty wrote:
Jamie can I ask how you can answer specific questions about fob without ever having seen it? You make sweeping statements about Cameron designed to cause trouble and now you answer questions as if you know the answer - you don't.

Craig.
[/quote]

Typical Jamie always trying to stir things up , bit like when he said Alakazam was not a the MC Dealers Day but the had one of the Largest Stands out of all the Dealer's
[quote]
On 2012-11-26 10:41, JackMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 20:51, Craig Petty wrote:

Craig.
[/quote]

Typical Jamie always trying to stir things up , bit like when he said Alakazam was not a the MC Dealers Day but they had one of the Largest Stands out of all the Dealer's
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 26, 2012 09:48AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 19:03, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Craig.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Reminds me of Fight Club.
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 26, 2012 09:50AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 09:12, Cameron Francis wrote:
Craig, yes, people in the US do have little plastic picture holders on their key chains. It's not uncommon here. That's what FOB looks like to me.
[/quote]

I concur.
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 19:03, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Craig.
[/quote]

[/quote]
;)
He would love to be as good as David
[quote]
On 2012-11-26 11:38, johndevacmaker wrote:
[/quote]
I'm sure he (Craig) will be one day. ;)
[quote]
On 2012-11-26 11:53, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-26 11:38, johndevacmaker wrote:
[/quote]
I'm sure he (Craig) will be one day. ;)
[/quote]

Now that he has a child to ensure that he doesn't get any sleep, not likely :)
[quote]
On 2012-11-26 13:54, barts185 wrote:
Now that he has a child to ensure that he doesn't get any sleep, not likely :)
[/quote]
Hey, now -- I know Jamie can be annoying, but I doubt Craig is losing any sleep over him. :D
So first you all claim that I am Craig, and now you say I'm his baby. Surreal!
So David just showed me this over Skype. Terrific. Very well designed. Lots of great handlings.

As odd as this sounds, I think I'm going to buy one. Yes, I will continue to use Fresh Mint. But I love the no-brainer portability of this. Put it on my key chain and I'm ready to go all the time without even thinking about it. So I'll probably use this as an everyday card to impossible location.

People have pointed out that Paperclipped is the same thing. Well, actually, it's not. I also use this reasoning with Fresh Mint. With FOB or Fresh Mint the card (or bill or whatever) is isolated inside of a container. While I love Paperclipped and still use it, I think having the card inside of an object and then openly removed is a little stronger. The moment of the sw**ch happens BEFORE there is any heat on the object. You are so far ahead it isn't even funny.

One other thing, I know everyone is excited about being able to show the other hand empty. And, indeed, that is possible with one of the handlings. But take it from a guy who's performed Fresh Mint countless times, the is NO HEAT on the other hand. I repeat, NO HEAT. Showing the other hand empty is superfluous.
Clearly, Cameron Francis is David Penn! I've never seen them in the same room together. What more evidence is needed?
This is killer, and I must agree with Mister Francis, there is no heat on the hand that pull the lid off. Another worker for David Penn..
Seems to be a toss-up between this and Wonder Worm for product of the year. Still waiting for either one to be on Magic Friday.
RESPECT THE WORM!
At least the worm's been on WPR, can't say as much for FOB.

Can we pre-order until December 17th and get the same shipping deal? Or could the pre-order get sold out?
Just ask the worm. ( sorry I meant Jamie)

Oh yeh same thing
[quote]
On 2012-11-27 04:48, johndevacmaker wrote:
Just ask the worm. ( sorry I meant Jamie)

Oh yeh same thing
[/quote]
johndevacmaker, assuming what you say is true then you should do what FrechDrop says above and "RESPECT THE WORM!"
Joshua Jay had a card to Remote Control which you could flash empty after tossing the card out of the battery compartment (John Kennedy box Style). Nice, but who carries a remote around. Nice if performing at home for friends.
Fob sounds interesting and more practical particularly if it has an instant reset for walk around. Is it?
Hey Card Detective.

Fob is an instant reset and very practical. I did like Josh's remote control especially for an ambitious card but it is a pain to carry round.

Fob really is super practical!

Anyone got any other questions that I can try to answer?

Craig
I could just quote Cameron’s post and follow it with “ditto” but I’ll throw in my own take.

David showed me many different handlings of FOB over Skype and we even discussed a confabulation routine and a bill (money) routine. The gimmick is brilliant. And yes…you CAN show your hand empty just like in the video without any additional by-play. That said, showing the hand empty is more for magicians than anything because as Cameron said, there “is NO HEAT on the other hand.” I’m certain there is a handling to fit everyone’s performance style.

FOB is will make a great trick for table hopping as the reset will only take a second.

Also, the FOB isn’t near as big as it looks in the promotional photo. When hanging from your key ring it’s about the same length or even smaller than keys you most likely have your key ring right now. However, the FOB is still large enough to provide you with enough room to comfortably fit a folded playing card. These aren’t off-the-rack fobs. David had these FOBS made specifically for the effect so they should work perfectly.

After seeing the handlings, method, subtleties and explanation, I am thoroughly sold. I’ll be buying one to add to my Ring Flight Revolution.

p.s. Jamie better get his checkbook ready.
My chequebook will come out when a real punter describes the 'handling', rather than Dave's Skype mates. There has to be more to it than is shown in the trailer, otherwise what is happening is the card is appearing in the key fob instantaneously, which would be real magic folks.

So, until I see an end to end handling my name's Davy Crockett and my chequebook stays in my pocket.
Jamie you never change do you?

Why don't you give Dave your Skype details, I'm sure he would be happy to show you the gimmick.

Plus I'm sure you are not one of his Skype Buddies.

What do you think?
That sounds fair Jamie?
Details sent.
Let us know how you get on
Really don't care for the hand position to remove the the cover on the FOB. If that could be cleaned up, maybe would be a good trick.

Has anyone ever counted the number of selected card discoveries that have been created? Get kind of boring for spectators after the 2nd one.
I have to say I'm really surprised this isn't almost universaly liked. The deno shows what the spectator will see without totally giving secret away and as for hand positions etc...the move is done straight to camera so its bound to look a biy fishy. In terms of comparisson to other similar tricks, I think people are overlooking the fact that other items can appear in there. I'm more interested in billets or notes appearing. I'm really excited about this and I'm not a david penn fan boy.
I too am not crazy about the move...that said, it goes by so quickly I can't imagine any spectator ever catching that. It's less than a second and it's over. Looks like a nice piece to me!
There are other ways of handling the removal, other hand positions. Bill, surely you would not do more than one card-to-impossible-location in one set... Well, I would never do that.
[quote]
On 2012-11-27 20:04, Cameron Francis wrote:
There are other ways of handling the removal, other hand positions. Bill, surely you would not do more than one card-to-impossible-location in one set... Well, I would never do that.
[/quote]

I don't think there will be any heat on the removal. as far as performing for laymen go, they'll 100% believe it's some random card until they pull it out and actually look at it themselves. I think that especially if there's a bit of a time delay between the removal and the time they actually look at the card... it'll fly by everyone.

also... what would be wrong with doing an ambitious card routine with cards to multiple impossible locations? I think it would be pretty funny.

start off doing an ambitious card routine. then do card to pocket. then do card to card case. then do card to wallet. then do card to FOB. then close with card to a kennedy mystery box that the spectator was holding the whole time. (could even add card to envelop with a UCCU). I'm sure there are also a bunch of other impossible locations I don't know about either.

I think that as long as each location got increasingly more impossible, it could be amazing in the hands of the right magician. and to me, as far as cards to impossible locations go, it's a toss up between FOB (from the looks of it) and the kennedy mystery box (or similar boxes) for most impossible location.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the great comments about “FOB”.

Just to let you know that we are continuing our offer of free worldwide shipping on all pre-orders. The details can be found here: http://www.worldmagicshop.com/FOB_by_David_Penn_and_Joe_Morell_p/fobdvd.htm

All the best,

Matthew
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 07:49, Matthew U wrote:
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know that we are continuing our offer of free worldwide shipping on all pre-orders. The details can be found here: http://www.worldmagicshop.com/FOB_by_David_Penn_and_Joe_Morell_p/fobdvd.htm

All the best,

Matthew
[/quote]

While this might be a great item

I think I will pass on your offer if this is the best you can do

(I assume this is very light item to post within the UK £1.50 Tops !)

Most Pre - Orders I would expect 15-20% Discount

Only People that will benefit is USA Customers No VAT and Free Shipping,

I think you need to do something better for your UK Clients!
Adam, once the card has appeared in an impossible location once, I think subsequent appearances would weaken the impact. How can you top the first one? You really can't.
Sorry, should have stipulated that what I'm talking about is an open prediction/card to impossible location effect like Paperclipped! or FOB. I think doing something like Card To Pocket and then ending with FOB would be a good combination because they are actually different effects.
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 08:25, JackMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 07:49, Matthew U wrote:
Hi Guys,

All the best,

Matthew
[/quote]

While this might be a great item

I think I will pass on your offer if this is the best you can do

(I assume this is very light item to post within the UK £1.50 Tops !)

Most Pre - Orders I would expect 15-20% Discount

Only People that will benefit is USA Customers No VAT and Free Shipping,

I think you need to do something better for your UK Clients!
[/quote]

No problem at all Martin, We actually send everything out first class recorded which I can assure you costs more then £1.50, the free shipping is simply a gesture to everyone that has pre-ordered already.

I would like to thank everybody that has taken us up on this offer! And I can assure you that all pre-orders will be sent out directly from our European base on day of release.

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/FOB_by_David_Penn_and_Joe_Morell_p/fobdvd.htm

Cheers guys,

Matthew
$46.63 U.S. is kind of a stiff price for U.S. cutomers, I'll have to wait til it's sold by Penguin Magic. The price will most likely be $29.17.

What is this VAT, I keep seeing on U.K. websites? Is England charging people a tax of sorts for using the Post Office service?
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 11:07, Bill Hegbli wrote:
$46.63 U.S. is kind of a stiff price for U.S. cutomers, I'll have to wait til it's sold by Penguin Magic. The price will most likely be $29.17.

What is this VAT, I keep seeing on U.K. websites? Is England charging people a tax of sorts for using the Post Office service?
[/quote]

Vale Added Tax: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax]VAT info[/url]

I'll also wait for Penguin to carry it.
[quote]
On 2012-11-27 18:46, Andrew Zuber wrote:
I too am not crazy about the move...that said, it goes by so quickly I can't imagine any spectator ever catching that. It's less than a second and it's over. Looks like a nice piece to me!
[/quote]
To me it compares very favourably with the usual tipping out move. I like this, specially as it is an instant reset, it can be used with other than cards and thus lends itself to any time any place as long as its in my pocket.
[quote]

[/quote]

In the UK we pay one of the Highest Tax's in the world (VAT is a UK sales Tax, the Dealer's can claim this back only the Purchaser Ends up Paying)

If you think $46.63 U.S. is kind of a stiff price for U.S. customers

Think about us Brits who are charged a whopping $55.51 !!!!!
What's the last day to pre-order and get the free shipping? I think December 17th, but want to be certain.

Then again, if the world's going to end a few days after that, will I even get it before the world ends? :)
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 11:32, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Vale Added Tax: [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax]VAT info[/url]

I'll also wait for Penguin to carry it.
[/quote]

I thought about Penguin when Bill posted that. I looked at the World Magic Shop website and compared prices of Wizard FX Productions tricks between the two sites and was surprised to see World Magic Shop was cheaper in the some cases. That said, the 2 sites were within a percentage point or two either way.
Hi Guys,

VAT is a sales tax imposed by the Government and collected by us on their behalf. This is paid directly to the HMRC. We have to charge this to all UK and European Union retail customers. The price on our site shows both prices inclusive and exclusive of VAT.

Therefore if you live outside of the UK or wider European Union you will be charged the VAT exclusive price on checkout. this is GBP £33.33 which translates to about $55.00 if you are a US customer. This conversion will obviously vary slightly day to day as the exchange rate varies with your card / bank providers. The price that we charge you will always be £33.33 GBP. We are offering free shipping worldwide on this item. However, your own country may impose import taxes or duty over which we have no control or input.

On a positive note despite being one of the Partners at World Magic Shop, I own very little personal magic tricks and effects. However, FOB is one that I really like. The last trick that grabbed my attention to this degree was Coinvexed which is also a David Penn product. FOB is in my pocket along with Coinvexed whenever I go out. These two items and a deck of cards allow me to perform the impossible whenever I get the chance. Many of my buddies are full time professionals and the feedback from them on FOB has been great.

I would also like to personally thank all of the people who have skyped with us over this release. Thanks for your positive feedback, comments and additional ideas which make FOB one of my favorite ever products that we have released.

Best wishes
Jim
Thanks all for explaining VAT, I ordered some inexpensive fishing line from England, and it cost over $25 for a $3 spool of fishing line. But their web site said, the price was without VAT, and I did not know what that meant. Thanks again.
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 12:29, JackMagic wrote:
In the UK we pay one of the Highest Tax's in the world (VAT is a UK sales Tax, the Dealer's can claim this back only the Purchaser Ends up Paying)

If you think $46.63 U.S. is kind of a stiff price for U.S. customers

Think about us Brits who are charged a whopping $55.51 !!!!!
[/quote]

Hi Martin

Just to point out that you are giving mis-leading information here to the people on this forum. VAT registered businesses do not receive any of the sales tax (VAT) that is charged to retail or business customers. This tax is paid directly to HMRC. The only VAT that we are allowed to claim back is when we have been purchases and paid VAT to other UK VAT registered businesses.

Feel free to PM me is you are still unclear about VAT although here is a link above which takes you to the VAT information on the WIKI site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_added_tax. Thanks to M Sini

Best wishes
Jim
[quote]
On 2012-11-28 12:47, barts185 wrote:
What's the last day to pre-order and get the free shipping? I think December 17th, but want to be certain.

Then again, if the world's going to end a few days after that, will I even get it before the world ends? :)
[/quote]

Hello,

The last day for pre-orders is the 17th Of December, And FOB will be shipping on the 17th! But also maybe earlier,

Regards
[quote]

[/quote]
Hey, that's what I said last week.

Maybe I should work at WMS too. :)
OK I think some of the UK suppliers on this forum need to be put straight.

The export of goods from the UK to the US (or anywhere else that is outside of the EU) are indeed a taxable supply for VAT purposes but, provided the exporter fulfils the following conditions, the supply can be zero-rated.

The export must not constitute the supply of goods to a UK VAT-registered trader;
goods must be exported within 3 months of the time of supply;
goods must not be delivered or posted (or collected by)a UK customer or other UK person at a UK address, even for subsequent export, although goods may be delivered to (or collected by) and overseas person in the UK;
the exporter must not allow the goods to be used in he UK in the period between supply and export;
the exporter must obtain within 3 months of the time of supply and keep valid evidence of the export; and
records of the export must be mainatained by the exporter.

I am an accountant and tax adviser by day so I do know what I am talking about.

I suggest you might want to ask your own accountants about this.

Please note that the rules regarding the provision of services (as opposed to goods) are different.
Foxlute, great information.

I think the UK suppliers here should employ you as their accountant as most obviously aren't being advised properly currently.

I often deal with cross border tax issues myself so this info was useful.

Thanks again.

J
This would make a great ending for Mr Dills 'revelation' methinks?
[quote]
On 2012-11-30 09:07, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Foxlute, great information.

I think the UK suppliers here should employ you as their accountant as most obviously aren't being advised properly currently.

I often deal with cross border tax issues myself so this info was useful.

Thanks again.

J
[/quote]

My pleasure. For the avoidance of doubt (I'm sure you must know this but for those who may not), when I say that non-EU exports can be zero-rated that means that the rate of VAT to be applied is 0%, i.e. NIL.
Okay, here is a question that I don't think has been asked. Since this comes apart into two pieces, is there ANY chance that the piece that comes off (the one that holds the gimmick) could come loose and get lost? I assume it must "snap" into place but I got to thinking about this and it could be an issue. Thought I would ask. Thanks.

-Paul
Great question paul, I too would love to know this
I think fob looks great I have been using the mystery box for years but fob can now go on my key ring David penn has done it again great work can't wait to get one of these
[quote]
On 2012-12-12 16:54, Adam Agic wrote:
I think fob looks great I have been using the mystery box for years but fob can now go on my key ring David penn has done it again great work can't wait to get one of these
[/quote]
A one post wonder praising the product, hmmmmm.
[quote]
On 2012-12-12 17:28, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-12 16:54, Adam Agic wrote:
[/quote]
A one post wonder praising the product, hmmmmm.
[/quote]

Did you ever get your Skype session ?
Nobody turned up, funny that.
This is kinda what you see is what you get. I'm sure most of you know how it works. If you like the idea, then you'll like it. If you don't, you won't. There's really no huge mystery here, guys, it's a utility device that does what it says on the tin. This is not the kind of thing you need to read a load of reviews for.
Craig and Dave showcased it on WPR and "brought it off the sticks" for Dave to perform it.

Starts at 13:18:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NztGPuBeecU&list=UUp-UJCv7ACFtbpEEJx6E-Fw&index=2
The card in the FOB turns upside down when the outer case is removed at 14:43.

Is that a bonus effect?
[quote]
On 2012-12-13 03:18, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

Is that a bonus effect?
[/quote]

It's actually part of the standard effect. The bonus effect is where the card stays in the same orientation.
I live near 'sourpuss ferguson'. Would anyone like me to slap him?
Jamie you are so funny. You never fail to make me laugh.
A lot of the pros and cons of this item have already been discussed - so my point is not about the product. Skip past if you want.

The matter I would like to raise is pricing; of this trick or any other trick.

Why do people get so obsessed with the cost of a trick?

People saying "this or that is too expensive". What does that mean exactly?

Does it mean that something is too expensive to treat yourself to, as it's just something that's going to be put in the drawer anyway?

It's too expensive because it doesn't look as if it's cost much to make, and is just a piece of plastic/card/whatever with a DVD?

Is it too expensive because of a £10/$20 price differential between any particular trick, and the other things that are sitting in your magic case and never used?

After all, at whatever apparently high price, you could buy yourself two things that you'll never use, rather than just the one maybe?

When I started performing magic seriously around 1980, I remember buying three routines from Joe Riding. His stand-up sponge ball routine, his cut & restored rope routine and his stand-up routine called Counting the Cards. Each pretty cheaply produced, photocopied slim booklet cost me £7.50 - total £22.50.

Thirty two years later, with inflation, you can add a nought onto that - so by today's standards, that's possibly £225.00. My question is, would any of you guys pay this amount of money for three commercial routines in cheap booklets? No props, no DVD's, no gimmicks - just photocopied, stapled booklets? Come to that, would you even pay £22.50 for them? Looking at some comments on here, I doubt that many would.

Now, here's the crux of the matter. I have been performing these three routines constantly for the past 32 years. I've used them in close-up and cabaret many, many times - hundreds of performances - often for some very good money. Three tricks that you can work anywhere, totally surrounded, no re-sets, totally visual and you can work them from your pockets at any time. The patter may have been updated to match current trends, but I perform these tricks exactly the same way as I have done since 1980; and as Joe Riding did for many years before that.

They were advertised as commercial, magic routines - hence their price tag. Joe didn't lie. They were sold to anyone BUT how many people do you think took the plunge and purchased them even back then? One 'name' certainly did - Billy McComb. He used Joe's stand-up sponge ball routine countless times in his performances - very often at The Magic Castle. Unfortunately, McComb released the routine under his own name in the early 90's - but that's another story. However, I'd bet others that also purchased Joe's routines probably still get value out of these booklets to this day.

- So my point is look beyond the props that you receive when making a purchase.

- Consider the VALUE of THE EFFECT NOT THE TOYS you receive to perform it.

- Consider if the trick fits your style. Any doubt, then leave it out!

- Can it be incorporated into your existing routine?

- Is it a better version of something that you already use? If it isn't, then why bother with it?

Sorry, gone off on a ramble - and not for the first time.

However, rather than consider if a trick is too highly priced, start considering the MORE IMPORTANT aspects associated with it. After all, this trick, or any trick, could be mass-produced, and sold for five quid/ten bucks via ToysRUs..........if that's really how some of you guys want this game to go.

Personally, I'd rather pay 500 quid for a sheet of paper - IF it contained a commercial, magic routine that met the above criteria.

Rant over - thanks for reading. ;)
I do like this, but as I already do card to wallet as my finisher for ACR, I feel this is too close of an effect to warrant doing this as well.

I feel like you can really only do 1 "card to impossible location" per set. Anyone else with me on this?

Anyone planning on doing this as well as another card to impossible location in the same set?
Merc,
I couldn't agree more on all you said about complaining regarding the prices of magic products.
It is all about how much someone values the trick and doesn't see just a piece of plastic and a DVD.
One other thing we forget when we complain: is that the creator, the producer, the wholesaler and eventually the dealer, need to take a share from the pie... so, the creator doesn't take anything near the retail price... add to that the fact that magic is such a limited market and it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that creating magic is not as profitable as it may appear.
Just my 2 cents,
Titanas
Since this comes apart into two pieces, is there ANY chance that the piece that comes off (the one that holds the gimmick) could come loose and get lost? Would like this answered before purchasing. Thanks.
[quote]
On 2012-12-13 07:41, Titanas wrote:
Merc,
I couldn't agree more on all you said about complaining regarding the prices of magic products.
It is all about how much someone values the trick and doesn't see just a piece of plastic and a DVD.
One other thing we forget when we complain: is that the creator, the producer, the wholesaler and eventually the dealer, need to take a share from the pie... so, the creator doesn't take anything near the retail price... add to that the fact that magic is such a limited market and it doesn't take a scientist to figure out that creating magic is not as profitable as it may appear.
Just my 2 cents,
Titanas
[/quote]

Sounds like a case of too many middlemen, you can easily cut out two of those. If you can't, the customer can.

For the consumer the smart choice would be to purchase direct from the creator whenever possible. Most of the name guys can be found online.

DD
[quote]
On 2012-12-13 07:10, Merc Man wrote:
[/quote]

Excellent post Merc
[quote]

However, rather than consider if a trick is too highly priced, start considering the MORE IMPORTANT aspects associated with it. After all, this trick, or any trick, could be mass-produced, and sold for five quid/ten bucks via ToysRUs..........if that's really how some of you guys want this game to go.

Personally, I'd rather pay 500 quid for a sheet of paper - IF it contained a commercial, magic routine that met the above criteria.

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Great thoughts, Barry!!!!!
I don't understand why somebody that owns this can't/won't answer my question. Is it possible that the piece you can remove (which contains the gimmick) could possibly pop off unintentionally and get lost? Thank you.

-Paul
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 14:16, Paul Rathbun wrote:
I don't understand why somebody that owns this can't/won't answer my question. Is it possible that the piece you can remove (which contains the gimmick) could possibly pop off unintentionally and get lost? Thank you.

-Paul
[/quote]

Maybe because its not been released yet, only a very few people have acually seen/own it.
[quote]

-Paul
[/quote]

Paul, you can PM Craig or Dave and they will answer. They're very open about their products and generous with their time in answering.
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 18:48, corindaman wrote:
[quote]

-Paul
[/quote]

Whoops! Didn't realize it wasn't out yet.

Maybe because its not been released yet, only a very few people have acually seen/own it.
[/quote]
Paul,

With all due respect, maybe the reason you haven't got a reply is because people are thinking the same as what I initially thought.

In other words, what a stupid bleedin question!

I know that's pretty blunt but couldn't we all ask the same about ANY magical prop; particularly one with removable parts? :vgoofy:
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 20:38, Merc Man wrote:
Paul,

With all due respect, maybe the reason you haven't got a reply is because people are thinking the same as what I initially thought.

In other words, what a stupid bleedin question!

I know that's pretty blunt but couldn't we all ask the same about ANY magical prop; particularly one with removable parts? :vgoofy:
[/quote]
Agreed
Is it possible that, should this effect come into contact with a mirror universe, anti-matter version of itself, that it could explode and destroy all life as we know it.

Do WMS have a refund policy in this event.
You guys are welcome to your own opinions or to crack jokes. I don't think it is a stupid questions because this is advertised as something you put on your key chain and carry with you basically all the time. If it is on my key chain it will be hanging/swinging from my ignition and be going a lot of places with me. The last thing I want to have happen is the two pieces to come apart when they aren't being used as a magic effect. Obviously if you lose half of it you need to buy it again. Asking if it designed in such a way that it will stay securely in place when not in use seems like a smart thing to verify before purchase. I will admit ignorance on the fact that it wasn't released yet, but not on my question.
Looks like when it hits the U.S. dealers it will be $55.
I can now see your logic Paul around the issue of carrying it on your key chain at all times. Maybe you could have made that point a little clearer at the outset.

However, would anyone really want to carry this around all of the time? It's clear plastic - so it's only going to get scratched and chipped by your keys, coins in your pockets, etc, and subsequently look like a piece of crap when you come to perform with it.

It's like magicians that ask - "can I use this as my every day wallet"?

Why would anyone want to perform with magical equipment, such as their wallet, that looked battered, dog-eared, tired and worn out? Maybe people will respond with that old chestnut "yeah but that way, I've always got something with me to perform if asked".

Come on guys, reality check time. How often does that 'really' happen?
Merc Man,

Good point about the fob getting all scratched up if you carry it around all the time. However, I believe that is exactly how Craig claims to use it earlier in this thread and how it is being marketed. Maybe Craig can weigh in on if it ends up all scratched up if kept on your keychain. Maybe (doubt it) it is made of a more durable plastic than most to withstand scratching. It a very good point to bring up though as it would most likely end up all scratched up if placed on your actual keychain for everyday use.
I think it will eventually show the ravages of time Paul. At the end of the day, it's only a transparent plastic - albeit probably very well made. However, I've had similar key fobs in the past when I've had lease cars at work, and thy inevitably get chipped and scratched.

I suppose it's a balance between whether you want something to look natural and worn, or in pristine condition. I guess there are benefits of both - dependent upon your own particular style.

I just edge towards the latter. I've never used my CTW as my everyday wallet simply because there's no point in working weddings immaculately dressed, and then pull a wallet out of your pocket that's falling to bits. However, if I was much younger and a street-style performer, my repertoire (and outlook) would probably be totally different.

Best of luck with the trick anyway mate should you decide it's a worker for you.
[quote]
On 2012-12-16 06:28, Merc Man wrote:

However, would anyone really want to carry this around all of the time? It's clear plastic - so it's only going to get scratched and chipped by your keys, coins in your pockets, etc, and subsequently look like a piece of crap when you come to perform with it.

It's like magicians that ask - "can I use this as my every day wallet"?

Why would anyone want to perform with magical equipment, such as their wallet, that looked battered, dog-eared, tired and worn out? Maybe people will respond with that old chestnut "yeah but that way, I've always got something with me to perform if asked".

Come on guys, reality check time. How often does that 'really' happen?
[/quote]

Merc, Eugene Burger, back when performing professionally in Chicago, carried his card to wallet ( Mullica ) and other props when he wasn't working. He said he'd run into clients that were with friends and they'd ask to "see something" and he wanted to be prepared.

While this may not be your style, others have adopted it.

I'm just a hobbyist and carry magic and perform it every day. If I didn't, it it would be like any other hobby, golf, fishing, where ther person only played with their toys in the house instead of going out and using them.

As far as scratches on this...plastic FOB's get scratches. Maybe that's a good thing for this item.
Thanks Merc Man. I totally agree about a CTW. I have several and have never used any as my everyday wallet. Just too expensive to be carrying around and getting beat up for that possible opportunity to use it. I'm afraid FOB might fall into that same category for me as well. Something I would possibly use table hopping but not carry on my keys all the time.

Best,
Paul
Without going off topic too much, I disagree with Merc on part of this one.
I carry my Royal hip pocket CTW every day and have just replaced it with the newer model of the same. When working, I carry my Robson instant reset which is 'performing only'. On occassions, I carry just the Royal CTW when working, if not wearing a jacket (e.g. waist coat only).
Having a tatty wallet may be naff, but having a wallet that is 'used' and worn in is normal.

I like the idea of having stuff to create daily miracles - it can generate both interest and work.
When I get this, if it is any good, I may possibly keep it on my keys. If it is that good, I'll buy a spare or two and accept that it will need changing once worn...

Charlie
[quote]
On 2012-12-16 13:18, puggo wrote:

My Royal CTW cost about £25. If it lasts 12-18 months, then in real terms in costs me next to nothing.

Charlie
[/quote]
Duplicate post
Whatever suits you as a performer.

To my way of thinking, if someone wants to see something on the spot, then it would not fit my style to drag out a pack of cards, a sharpie and a wallet. CTW is not what I'd personally consider 'impromptu magic'.

Not whilst I've got normal coins in my pocket, fags in the packet...and two sleeves! ;)
[quote]
On 2012-12-16 16:27, Merc Man wrote:

To my way of thinking, if someone wants to see something on the spot, then it would not fit my style to drag out a pack of cards, a sharpie and a wallet. CTW is not what I'd personally consider 'impromptu magic'.

Not whilst I've got normal coins in my pocket, fags in the packet...........and two sleeves! ;)
[/quote]

Merc, you are not alone in that feeling.

I like using sleeves for impromptu coin/cig vanishes also;-)
I have had my Real Man's wallet for about three years. Use it as my everyday wallet and at gigs. Still looks great.

Then again, I clean out my wallet every couple of weeks so it still looks nice. Never too thick and the leather has held up great. I have seen guys, magicians and non-magicians, with wallets stuffed with stuff to the bursting point. I'm not sure how they even sit down let alone do magic with it! :)
[quote]
On 2012-12-16 16:27, Merc Man wrote:

Not whilst I've got normal coins in my pocket, fags in the packet...........and two sleeves! ;)
[/quote]

Ring to wallet (+ string)/ signed coin to wallet (- CS or one coin routine)/ bank note transpo etc (based on a Calem Morelli idea I saw once - using a CTW as a switching tool)? C'mon Merc, it's unlike you not to be full of ideas!

Anyhow, back to FOB..
Hopefully today is shipping day, anyone heard anything?
Maybe.
Says mine has shipped so I'm hoping the Xmas post doesn't slow it down too much.
Hi, my name is Pepka and I'm a Card to impossible location addict.

My 2 props of choice are my Mesika wallet, which is ALWAYS with me; and for more formal situations it's Kohler's lightning box. To those that say the prop doesn't look natural, I think it looks like a little frame you would keep a photo of your kids in. Not very elegant, but it's not totally unnatural. The way that he takes the top off does look a bit suspicious, and the Professor would hate it, but I'm sure it would fly right by laymen. The interesting thing to me is that it's on your keyring and you could have other effects on there. Possibly a Ring flight Revolution, leave the keys on the table and then go into the card routine.
So I got mine today, in fact I got two as I got a present and my own. So initial thoughts based on a quick play and a watch of the dvd:

Its very good. The dvd clearly explains the routine and variants of it and the gimmick is well made and works well. I think over time it will get scratched but not a major concern. The clean up (if you feel need) is simple but effective and will fly straight past spectators and an extra bit is provided which is a nice touch. I don't think the outer casing losening or falling off will be an issue as it is very snug.

One thought in respect of it getting scratched is it may be good to offer the outer part as a stand alone replacement item, but to be honest I think a bit of wear is a good thing.

Overal a great trick and I look forward to practising this over xmas. I actually think I am far more likely to do this with a bank note than a card. Just because I do a lot of card material but like to mix it up. A flash bill and this looks awesome.

Cheers david penn and wms
Thanks for this review :)
Mine's come today and its a very nice piece. Clearly a lot of thinking has gone into this routine, as I have come to expect from DP. A worker and a keeper. Great job.

I did miss one or two moments of tuition and have to rewind because I was so distracted by the props in the background though - just kidding!
A little tip here guys. You can always put clear packing tape over the outer case in one layer to prevent scratching it up. I've done this in other plastic items in the past. You really can't even tell its there. When it becomes a bit worn, tear it off and put another patch on. Easy fix.
Hi guys

Just on the train back from London and its great that people are already taking the time to review FOB. We didn't skimp on the acrilik and FOB is made from exactly the same material as car headlights so scratching against your keys will be seriously reduced.

With regards to the lock. Martin and others will confirm that it does indeed lock in place in two positions. We were very conscious during the design process of reducing the risk of the cover falling off and friction alone was not going to be enough.

WMS have also been contact a few times today asking if they can get the extra parts to create multiple gimmicks for different cards and bills. I believe that Jon will have these on very soon.

I have just pmd a few people with answers to questions but my 3G is pretty poor here.

Thanks for your support with this project and have a great Christmas.

David
[quote]
On 2012-12-18 17:54, sbays wrote:
A little tip here guys. You can always put clear packing tape over the outer case in one layer to prevent scratching it up. I've done this in other plastic items in the past. You really can't even tell its there. When it becomes a bit worn, tear it off and put another patch on. Easy fix.
[/quote]
Helecopter tape works in these situations (it's used quite a lot to protect the paintwork of nice bikes.
It look awesome !
David,

Your last comments sparked a question. I have ordered FOB and awaiting arrival. It sounds like the switched article is somewhat "fixed" and cant be changed with the "3 second reset." That said, I would be very interested in purchasing the extra parts to have multiple objects; cards, bills, etc. always at the ready.

One question; I am thinking this would be a great finale to an in the hands bill switch routine and its convenient that the bill would already be folded into 16ths. A US bill folded into 8ths is slightly wider and a bit shorter than a standard poker card folded into 4ths. My question is... do you know if a US bill folded into 8ths fits the FOB ?
Hi Scott

I know that a £10 in 8ths fits perfectly.

I'm at a gig in London now so I can't check with dollars.

Perhaps someone could jump on with a comparison but a tenner fits for sure.

Dave
I am liking the subtlety shown on the review video. David attempts to pull the case apart with his fingertips and he can't. He then repositions his hand over the fob to pull it off. Anything looking more clean than this would have to be real magic. It looks very natural to me with this subtlety.

I also enjoyed the flash of the 'dirty' hand. I have a pretty good idea on what is going on here and snickered at how sneaky it is. Granted, this really isn't needed ... they are going to be staring at the card in the key fob.

I am still a little stumped on exactly how the card is slid into position prior to the switch. Being stumped is fun. I have some ideas but the card 'appeared' pretty snug in that tight enclosure.

I prefer the M****** C*** F*** version than the routine David showed on the review. I'll have to practice with it so it isn't F***** too sloppy or it won't fit.

Dang it .. I hate ordering from over seas ... it takes forever to get to rural Kentucky.
Anyone else had a problem with the lugs on the inner sleeve scratching the inside of the outer sleeve, leaving Tram lines which are quite visible? I have contacted WMS for advice.
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 15:04, corindaman wrote:
Anyone else had a problem with the lugs on the inner sleeve scratching the inside of the outer sleeve, leaving Tram lines which are quite visible? I have contacted WMS for advice.
[/quote]

Yes it does the same for me, it leaves white tram lines, but don't think it is a major problem... Please let us know what they told you ;)
With regards to the tram lines. When the card or item is inside, you naturally focus on the card.

These are a necessary evil to avoid the cover falling off.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks Dave for the swift reply, just checking that mine wasn't the only one!
Tramlines? Where can I preorder?

Now I know there are tramlines, I see no problem with the 'move'.

The tramlines will distract them from the 'move'. Just as long as I smash up the gimmick after each performance. With a hammer. That'll be fine.
I misspoke ... Dave uses the M****** C*** F*** but he does a translocation effect with it. I would prefer it to completely vanish from the deck and turn out to be my lucky card the entire time. However, you now have to take the time for them to search the entire deck for the missing card, which takes time and is boring.
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 15:07, doriancaudal wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 15:04, corindaman wrote:
[/quote]

Yes it does the same for me, it leaves white tram lines, but don't think it is a major problem... Please let us know what they told you ;)
[/quote]
I think David's recent fondness for all things Tenyo is starting to rub off on his output - tricks made of plastic.

Maybe FOB 2.0 should be released as part of the Tenyo Elite range. :)
And it would be made of... wood?

;)
Maybe it should be made from a cheap, Chinese knock-off of an obsolete iPod Shuffle.
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 18:46, Chris Meece wrote:
I misspoke ... Dave uses the M****** C*** F*** but he does a translocation effect with it. I would prefer it to completely vanish from the deck and turn out to be my lucky card the entire time. However, you now have to take the time for them to search the entire deck for the missing card, which takes time and is boring.
[/quote]

How about finishing off an ACR with their card on top. Suggest that they have a go at the trick, Palm the card off as you hand over the deck, let them do a shuffle, click of the fingers and see if their card returns to the top ( of course not, you have palmed it and are busily folding it up whilst all this is going on). Make out that whatever card they have turned over is your favourite card and shouldn't be in the deck. Reveal their card now in the fob.
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 19:55, tomsk192 wrote:
And it would be made of... wood?

;)
[/quote]
Nah, transparent, galvanised metal would be better.
I didn't think trolling was allowed nor tolerated in this Café, but quite clearly the last few posts have been accepted and so I guess it's fair game to write trash about effects and get away with it. I don't own FOB but the demo looks awesome and I can see through the childish remaks of certain 'contribuors'. I don't know the creators of his effect, but I do appreciate good ideas and creativity when I see it.
I think it's that you don't understand the humour being from Melbourne! ;)
I'm loving the idea behind FOB, but wanted to ask something about the DVD:

I love David Penn's thinking behind effects. Is his card routine (from his number 1 set?) explained on the DVD? Also, how long is the DVD approximately?

The effect seems direct, impossible and practical, however before I purchase it, I just need something to tip me over the fence!

Thanks a lot and hope everyone has a great Christmas and New Year :)
I received Fob on Monday and have to say, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Included in the package are your Fob, extra Fob cover and DVD.

The DVD is about 33 minutes long and that's really all it needs to be. I get sick of reading "Over 2 hours of instruction" only to be bored to tears. (Ok off my soapbox).

The DVD teaches both "advanced" (if you find the MCF advanced) and "easier" handlings. There are some very nice subtitles and convincers taught on the DVD but even David admits some of them are overkill or just magician pleasers.

The Fob itself is very well made and it's nice that 2 covers are included, both as a backup or to use it for "clean up" purposes.

If you liked the demo/trailer and like the idea of Fob, you won't be disappointed.
Hello,

Great item! In stock now with FREE AND IMMEDIATE SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD plus bonus Free Card to Mouth DVD Gift to say thanks for your order..Happy New Year!

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/david_penn.png[/img]

The talented David Penn has been Penguinized! I love those images they make.

Murphy's has FOB in stock, so all the shops have access to them.

FOB has arrived at Penguin! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14980

[img]http://www.murphysmagicsupplies.com/images/fob-full.png[/img]
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 17:24, Paul Gross wrote:
Hello,

Great item! In stock now with FREE AND IMMEDIATE SHIPPING ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD plus bonus Free Card to Mouth DVD Gift to say thanks for your order..Happy New Year!

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
[/quote]

Thanks Paul,

Really glad you like it.
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 17:57, Zombie Magic wrote:

[/quote]

That one is for the bottle production. I hearby make a diva demand for a FOB image! Lol
Besides I need a new Facebook pp.

Cheers

Dave

Ps make my year and put Blammo at the side of me!
[quote]

[/quote]

How do you know Murphy's has them in stock, do you work in the warehouse? Paid crooke?
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 20:58, Bill Hegbli wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

How do you know Murphy's has them in stock, do you work in the warehouse? Paid crooke?
[/quote]

lol. Bill, Murphy's site is available for anyone to look at . You can always see what they have in stock and what's coming. They even have a search function:

http://www.murphysmagic.com/

Bill, there is a life for you away from the pub/liquor store. Maybe even get a puppy for company.

:sun:
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 20:58, Bill Hegbli wrote:

[/quote]

My God Bill... give it up and get a freaking life with these ridiculous attacks on Zombie! Either that, or get back on your medication.
[quote]

The talented David Penn has been Penguinized! I love those images they make.[/quote]
You know you've made it when you've been Penguinized.

Needs more Blammo, though.
French, that's a great observation. It would be cool to have Blammo with David.
[quote]
On 2012-12-13 03:53, barts185 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-13 03:18, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

Is that a bonus effect?
[/quote]

It's actually part of the standard effect. The bonus effect is where the card stays in the same orientation.
[/quote]

:) ;)

The prop seem to have many possibilities. IMO, for a smooth performance this will need some practice in palming, folding, ditching and misdirection. Overall a good effect but a bit over priced IMO.

:xmas:
Hello Everyone,

I rarely post a review here. Having had a chance to really check this out since receiving them yesterday I thought I would give you my opinion from a dealers point of view.

It is no secret that there are hundereds of tricks released all the time. As dealers we are constantly bombarded with new items. Many over promise and under deliver. I have to say that FOB does not fall into that category. The prop itself is very well thought out and mfg. to last. The quality of instructional DVD is one of the best that I have seen. It throughly covers every aspect from start to finish really leaves no stone unturned.

I believe that anyone who purchases this effect will use it. This will not be one of those toss it in the drawer effects. David should be congratulated for his thought process and extra effort in producing what I feel this will be one of the years best sellers. Other creators should take note. Honestly at $55.00 for all that you recieve this is a real value!

I am very happy to offer this item to all of our customers and give it my highest recommendation. Just my two cents.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Mr. Gross, thanks for posting your feelings on this prop. Looks like David Penn came up with ANOTHER hard hitting worker!
Hey Paul Gross, Cameron Francis, Craig Petty cant all be wrong. Looks like a great trick to me. I love things that I can carry on me at all times that are ready at a moment's notice.
[quote]
On 2012-12-29 18:34, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
Hey Paul Gross, Cameron Francis, Craig Petty cant all be wrong. Looks like a great trick to me. I love things that I can carry on me at all times that are ready at a moment's notice.
[/quote]

I must admit, this looks really cool. I probably pick this up in blackpool.

until now my favorite was signed card to cardcase, where the card is showed inside the case folded. then tossed out on my hand and voilà, the signed spectator card.
[quote]
On 2012-12-27 13:58, Paul Gross wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I rarely post a review here. Having had a chance to really check this out since receiving them yesterday I thought I would give you my opinion from a dealers point of view.

It is no secret that there are hundereds of tricks released all the time. As dealers we are constantly bombarded with new items. Many over promise and under deliver. I have to say that FOB does not fall into that category. The prop itself is very well thought out and mfg. to last. The quality of instructional DVD is one of the best that I have seen. It throughly covers every aspect from start to finish really leaves no stone unturned.

I believe that anyone who purchases this effect will use it. This will not be one of those toss it in the drawer effects. David should be congratulated for his thought process and extra effort in producing what I feel this will be one of the years best sellers. Other creators should take note. Honestly at $55.00 for all that you recieve this is a real value!

I am very happy to offer this item to all of our customers and give it my highest recommendation. Just my two cents.

Best regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
[/quote]

That's great Paul

Thank you for taking to time to post. The bonus DVD you are offering looks great too!

David
Hey David, got FOB and I love it. I've got some pretty amzaing reactions so far from this. Just curious if you know when the bonus download vid from you and Joe will be available? Thanks in advance for any help David.
[quote]
On 2013-01-01 14:40, ike_hill wrote:
Hey David, got FOB and I love it. I've got some pretty amzaing reactions so far from this. Just curious if you know when the bonus download vid from you and Joe will be available? Thanks in advance for any help David.
[/quote]

Hi there

You get it automatically when purchased through wms, in your account. As the free bonus download was added after the launch, previous people who bought from wms will need to send sales@worldmagicshop.com an email with their order number and a code will be sent to you. Just put FOB Download in the subject and include the order details in the body. 

Hope this helps. 

David
Wait I'm confused with time zones and end of sales. Doesn't WMS have a big sale going on? Hows does FOB come into play ?
[quote]
On 2012-12-27 03:23, Zombie Magic wrote:
French, that's a great observation. It would be cool to have Blammo with David.
[/quote]

I thought "where's the s fan" :)
I recently received FOB and have played with it a bit. I like it a lot. It is easy to do and very effective. The props are good quality. The only thing I would suggest is that being made of plastic (I can't imagine what else it could be made of), I wouldn't carry it around on my keychain every day. I would use it on a separate keychain that I only use for performance. There are so many great key effects, I think it makes sense to carry it on a keychain ready for other key effects (Keylicious, Spookey, Freakey, etc.), and only bring it along for a performance. It seems built to withstand some wear, but I would think anything plastic could break. All in all, highly recommended.
[quote]
On 2013-01-02 17:12, 1KJ wrote:
I recently received FOB and have played with it a bit. I like it a lot. It is easy to do and very effective. The props are good quality. The only thing I would suggest is that being made of plastic (I can't imagine what else it could be made of), I wouldn't carry it around on my keychain every day. I would use it on a separate keychain that I only use for performance. There are so many great key effects, I think it makes sense to carry it on a keychain ready for other key effects (Keylicious, Spookey, Freakey, etc.), and only bring it along for a performance. It seems built to withstand some wear, but I would think anything plastic could break. All in all, highly recommended.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to review FOB.

The plastic used in the injection mould is exactly the same grade as used in car headlights so it is pretty robust.

Cheers

David
Because of the unblinking nature of the camera, I can tolerate David's somewhat unnatural handling at the reveal. I do think that that would fly by the spectators.

That said, and being somewhat anal retentive (grin), what has me worried or concerned is the fact that the FOB, being made of plastic, might easily pick up scratches from any other items carried in the same pocket...be they keys on the FOB ring or loose coins, etc. If so, IMHO, the FOB would quickly become unsightly and would not something that I would care to have be a focal point of a magic effect.

(On the other hand, others may not care if the FOB gets scratched and/or might reason that a scratched-up FOB would be more "natural" (or organic), and, by implication, would suggest the FOB is [i]not[/i] a magic prop.)

Perhaps, the FOB is made of highly scratch resistant plastic. I certainly hope so. Not knowing...it is this fact that makes me hesitant to buy a FOB. As I said, I'm anal retentive. (grin)

All the foregoing is just IMHO; your mileage may vary...and probably does.

Best,

Mike
OOPS! I see that David Penn has already addressed the issue of the plastic developing scratches. When I saw his post, I tried to delete my above post but, for some reason, the "delete this post" just kept spinning and spinning, would not complete the delete operation...and I could not get out of the loop. In the end, I just had to hope that the post was deleted. I've just now come back on to the Café and I now see that that post had not been deleted. My apologies to all.
Apology accepted ;-)
[quote]

The plastic used in the injection mould is exactly the same grade as used in car headlights so it is pretty robust.

Cheers

David
[/quote]

Both of the FOB cases I received are each chipped on the edge close to the opening. Does anyone else have this defect?

The chip is similar to what you would see in a plastic model kit where all of the pieces are being held together by a larger plastic frame and you need to twist it off the fame and some plastic chips off. It does not look like something that came out of a mould.
Mine is coming today....I'll check it out and report...
[quote]
On 2013-01-04 10:43, pierredan wrote:
[quote]

Cheers

David
[/quote]

Both of the FOB cases I received are each chipped on the edge close to the opening. Does anyone else have this defect?

The chip is similar to what you would see in a plastic model kit where all of the pieces are being held together by a larger plastic frame and you need to twist it off the fame and some plastic chips off. It does not look like something that came out of a mould.
[/quote]

Sounds strange!

I have just Pmd you my personal contact details so we can take a look at this and get it sorted.

Cheers

David
[quote]
On 2013-01-04 12:50, davidpaul$ wrote:
[/quote]

Hope you enjoy it!

Dave
Dave

Thank you for your PM. Yes, I will send you picture tonight.
Hey Dave, I have the same type of chips on both of the covers (it's a bit worst on one).

-Chris
I got this..I'm not to sure how I feel about it
Hi Guys

During the moulding process the covers come out of a mould like most picture style key fobs. There is then two small pegs about the size of a match that are twisted off and removed by a guy who must have the most boring job in the world. This then leaves a very slight imperfection either side of the cover opening and it will not effect the workings at all.

Thanks for all the great PMs with ideas for routine ideas that have been submitted also. I think WMS will have to offer some sort of free eBook and we will find some way of getting that to all FOB owners soon.

All the best

Dave
Hi Dave

Thank you for your excellent customer service. I look forward to dealing with you again.
I received mine and pretty much ruined it on the first day (bad scratches from trying to remove double-stick tape). I like the effect very much but once you affix an item (card, billet etc.) to the inside it is very difficult to remove. I even followed David's caution on the DVD (for once LOL) and still made a mess of mine. I would have preferred that FOB cost more (perhaps $75.00) and included two extra holders. This way, you could easily switch from red backs to blue, or use it for Dream Vacation type mentalism plots etc.
[quote]
On 2013-01-04 20:54, Jared wrote:
I received mine and pretty much ruined it on the first day (bad scratches from trying to remove double-stick tape). I like the effect very much but once you affix an item (card, billet etc.) to the inside it is very difficult to remove. I even followed David's caution on the DVD (for once LOL) and still made a mess of mine. I would have preferred that FOB cost more (perhaps $75.00) and included two extra holders. This way, you could easily switch from red backs to blue, or use it for Dream Vacation type mentalism plots etc.
[/quote]

I think WMS are going to be selling the extra covers as a product very very soon.

A few people have been PMing me about this. I will try to get a progress report on this project ASAP.

Cheers

Dave
[quote]
[/quote]
Received today...No chips or imperfections....I'm a bit concerned about applying the tape though...
Maybe there is a better method ???????????
Thanks for the update David. FYI Café members don't let my post discourage you from buying this. Just use caution affixing the card, billet etc. until extra covers become available.
Mine arrived today. I can't believe that I had to supply my own double-sided tape. (Only joking!)

This is terrific. I'm looking forward to using it once I feel comfortable with the handling.

All I need now is a set of Porsche keys. ;-)
[quote]
On 2013-01-04 23:29, davidpaul$ wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Received today...No chips or imperfections....I'm a bit concerned about applying the tape though...
Maybe there is a better method ???????????
[/quote]

Just an FYI. To be fair, the DVD does address removing the tape as well as an alternative method in lieu of the tape.
LOoks like I'll have to get this to check it out! Thank you everyone for the comments/reviews/thoughts.
Still waiting on mine
Good News: I really like this item. I now have a key chain with Fob, Freakey, and Ignition. Ive been playing around with the handling and getting smooth with it. Great finale to an informal card set.

Not so good news: I was switching out the card (wanted to do red back instead of blue) and used some Goof Off (commerical) adhesive remover to clean out the old tape. Unfortunately, it turned the plastic cloudy white. My recommendation.... do NOT use any kind of thinner in the Fob, better to let the tape build up.

That said, I do love this gimmick and will buy another if I have to.

Dave.. will extra caps be available through other dealers, or only through WMS ?
I've had FOB for about two weeks now and it's become a little scratched from the keys, etc. I don't hate that because it's a pretty natural looking object. However, I've had to "age" the switch cover to match the main one. Kind of a pain. That said, this is not really a big problem. Just something to be aware of prior to purchase. I can see it getting worse over time, so replacements may become an issue. I'm using now as my card to box ending, and am very satisfied.
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 22:54, Scott Horn wrote:
Good News: I really like this item. I now have a key chain with Fob, Freakey, and Ignition. Ive been playing around with the handling and getting smooth with it. Great finale to an informal card set.

That said, I do love this gimmick and will buy another if I have to.

Dave.. will extra caps be available through other dealers, or only through WMS ?
[/quote]

Hi Scott

If like me, you really enjoy having an act on your keychain have a look at Anima by Vernet magic. I was having a play around with this yesterday. I believe it to be a great gimmick that is disguised as a garage door remote.

The trailer is here in the World Magic Shop site but is available everywhere: http://www.worldmagicshop.com/Anima_by_Michel_Vernet_Magic_p/anima.htm

WMS will have the extra covers on the site very very soon. Other dealers will have them about a week later. They are aiming for the middle of next week after returning from The Session Convention.

All the best

Dave
[quote]
On 2013-01-09 01:54, MeHitDrum wrote:
I've had FOB for about two weeks now and it's become a little scratched from the keys, etc. I don't hate that because it's a pretty natural looking object. However, I've had to "age" the switch cover to match the main one. Kind of a pain. That said, this is not really a big problem. Just something to be aware of prior to purchase. I can see it getting worse over time, so replacements may become an issue. I'm using now as my card to box ending, and am very satisfied.
[/quote]

I think you make a very important point here about the difference between the cover and the FOB gimmick over time. I always keep the cover in the same pocket as the gimmick so I have not had this become an issue. I can see how it could be if you don’t carry everything together prior to performance. I wish I had said that on the DVD so thank you very much for making a really valid observation.

Best of luck with your card to box ending and I am pleased to hear that FOB is enhancing that routine for you.

I have had quite a few PMs from people experimenting with shim cards and a magnet in the back pocket to strip out the dupe. This is something I will be trying myself. If that just made you think, feel free to give it a go. FOB seems to be ever evolving thanks to it being released to creative magicians such as yourselves.

All the very best for 2013

Dave
[quote]
On 2013-01-09 01:54, MeHitDrum wrote:
[/quote]

Keys, coins, etc are very hard on plastic. One thing you can use to help with scratches is toothpaste. It does wonders. Hopefully technology will improve for plastic.
I don't have this effect, nor have I tried these products. But for anyone inclined to give it a go with their FOB, time and money, these things may help restore it to like-new condition if it clouded and/or scratched up. You might be able to find similar products at a local supplier (Grainer, Art store, etc.) and save shipping costs. I'm just offering this as an idea that might be useful - or it could ruin your item. Buyer beware.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24439
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24440
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24441
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24442
This is a nice prop, and the effect is good, but it's also pretty much the exact same effect, method and mechanics as Cameron Francis's Fresh Mint. David Penn credits Alex DeCova and Jay Sankey for the MCF switch, and David Stone for a couple of handling ideas (from his Cell DVD), but unless I missed something, there is no mention of Francis on the DVD. And really there is no difference between Francis's effect and Penn's effect, other than the fact that one involves a clear plastic Tic Tac box and the other involves a clear plastic key chain fob.
[quote]
On 2013-01-10 13:29, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
This is a nice prop, and the effect is good, but it's also pretty much the exact same effect, method and mechanics as Cameron Francis's Fresh Mint. David Penn credits Alex DeCova and Jay Sankey for the MCF switch, and David Stone for a couple of handling ideas (from his Cell DVD), but unless I missed something, there is no mention of Francis on the DVD. And really there is no difference between Francis's effect and Penn's effect, other than the fact that one involves a clear plastic Tic Tac box and the other involves a clear plastic key chain fob.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2012-11-26 15:42, Cameron Francis wrote:
So David just showed me this over Skype. Terrific. Very well designed. Lots of great handlings.

As odd as this sounds, I think I'm going to buy one. Yes, I will continue to use Fresh Mint. But I love the no-brainer portability of this. Put it on my key chain and I'm ready to go all the time without even thinking about it. So I'll probably use this as an everyday card to impossible location.

People have pointed out that Paperclipped is the same thing. Well, actually, it's not. I also use this reasoning with Fresh Mint. With FOB or Fresh Mint the card (or bill or whatever) is isolated inside of a container. While I love Paperclipped and still use it, I think having the card inside of an object and then openly removed is a little stronger. The moment of the sw**ch happens BEFORE there is any heat on the object. You are so far ahead it isn't even funny.

One other thing, I know everyone is excited about being able to show the other hand empty. And, indeed, that is possible with one of the handlings. But take it from a guy who's performed Fresh Mint countless times, the is NO HEAT on the other hand. I repeat, NO HEAT. Showing the other hand empty is superfluous.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2012-11-26 16:03, Zombie Magic wrote:
Clearly, Cameron Francis is David Penn! I've never seen them in the same room together. What more evidence is needed?
[/quote]
Is access to Latest and Greatest limited to those who have 50 posts or more?

I only ask because I was surprised to come and while looking to read a little bit about FOB, I found much about the actual workings of the effect.

Just seems odd that it would discussed here, and not secret sessions.

RevJohn
Great product overall !
Hey,

this is our review with a routine, but in french.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDoAW9Brths

Good night.
Got mine a few days ago. Already have it on the key chain. Really nice!

Although I have to say, I won't be carrying the extra cover with me. Don't really see a need for it. Once the card is out, I'll just leave the cover off and pocket the keys or just put it back on when I walk away.

Instead, I'll save it as a replacement if and when the other breaks or scratches.
Hi Guys

WMS now have the covers available to purchase by themselves as an upgrade.

Here are the details:
http://www.worldmagicshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FOBCOVERS
One of the hottest items for 2012/2013 has just got better with the FOB Additional Cover Pack.
These additional covers give you the freedom to have your FOB Gimmick set up for multiple routines and revelations

Cheers

Dave
[quote]
A lot of the pros and cons of this item have already been discussed - so my point is not about the product. Skip past if you want.

The matter I would like to raise is pricing; of this trick or any other trick.

Why do people get so obsessed with the cost of a trick?

People saying "this or that is too expensive". What does that mean exactly?

Does it mean that something is too expensive to treat yourself to, as it's just something that's going to be put in the drawer anyway?

It's too expensive because it doesn't look as if it's cost much to make, and is just a piece of plastic/card/whatever with a DVD?

Is it too expensive because of a £10/$20 price differential between any particular trick, and the other things that are sitting in your magic case and never used?

After all, at whatever apparently high price, you could buy yourself two things that you'll never use, rather than just the one maybe?

When I started performing magic seriously around 1980, I remember buying three routines from Joe Riding. His stand-up sponge ball routine, his cut & restored rope routine and his stand-up routine called Counting the Cards. Each pretty cheaply produced, photocopied slim booklet cost me £7.50 - total £22.50.

Thirty two years later, with inflation, you can add a nought onto that - so by today's standards, that's possibly £225.00. My question is, would any of you guys pay this amount of money for three commercial routines in cheap booklets? No props, no DVD's, no gimmicks - just photocopied, stapled booklets? Come to that, would you even pay £22.50 for them? Looking at some comments on here, I doubt that many would.

Now, here's the crux of the matter. I have been performing these three routines constantly for the past 32 years. I've used them in close-up and cabaret many, many times - hundreds of performances - often for some very good money. Three tricks that you can work anywhere, totally surrounded, no re-sets, totally visual and you can work them from your pockets at any time. The patter may have been updated to match current trends, but I perform these tricks exactly the same way as I have done since 1980; and as Joe Riding did for many years before that.

They were advertised as commercial, magic routines - hence their price tag. Joe didn't lie. They were sold to anyone BUT how many people do you think took the plunge and purchased them even back then? One 'name' certainly did - Billy McComb. He used Joe's stand-up sponge ball routine countless times in his performances - very often at The Magic Castle. Unfortunately, McComb released the routine under his own name in the early 90's - but that's another story. However, I'd bet others that also purchased Joe's routines probably still get value out of these booklets to this day.

- So my point is look beyond the props that you receive when making a purchase.

- Consider the VALUE of THE EFFECT NOT THE TOYS you receive to perform it.

- Consider if the trick fits your style. Any doubt, then leave it out!

- Can it be incorporated into your existing routine?

- Is it a better version of something that you already use? If it isn't, then why bother with it?

Sorry, gone off on a ramble - and not for the first time.

[/quote]

A TV was expensive 30 years ago.... but are dirt cheap today...you cannot base the price of something on the basis of 30 years ago.
Also it was probably more difficult to source things 30 years ago.. today there are many magic dealers and they are all excessible due to the Internet
and all dealers are looking to get the top price for often cheap items, and rehashed tricks from the past updated for the modern day.

Magic is like football, You can be ripped off but you will keep coming back for more, because you want to believe.

I have been buying tricks now for 20 years and I can honestly say there are only a few I use.

The best magic I have is all based on manipulation, and this requires a lot of practice... so like most things you only get out, what you put in.
This effect is just sick. Love it. Very nice prop and D.V.D. This will kill for a ending to my A.B.C.R.

I was thinking about also using it for a dollar bill. Have them sign the bill, do a bill switch with a flash bill and there bill ending up in the fob. Loving it.
I want one!!!
Its really a great item but I see no need for additional covers at all here. maybe as a spare ok...
but to set it up for different ideas why would you need it?
a euro cent and a magnet in your back pocket = youre done.
I really regret that purchase (not FOB, its fantastic)
Mr. Effecto, you may want to check out Joe Monti's handling with a bill and FOB. It's on WPR Blackpool edition part 1. Great routine. He also uses a cover to protect his FOB.
Thanks itsmagic !!
On sale at WMS right now until the end of the day. £20 :)
Dunno if this was already suggested, but it's a good idea to use a blank faced card in your FOB. That way if there's any view of the card in the gimmick no one will be able to discern the card's identity. Originally I placed some random card in the FOB, and I was informed by more than one spectator the card in the gimmick is a King. Because no matter how flat you make the card there will always be some part of it exposed. Other than that, it's the sickest revelation. I use it to end an effect by Gary Kurtz from his book Unexplainable Acts called Hypothetical Possibilities. Keep Calm and Sleight On!!!
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 23:45, bigtyme wrote:
Dunno if this was already suggested, but it's a good idea to use a blank faced card in your FOB. That way if there's any view of the card in the gimmick no one will be able to discern the card's identity. Originally I placed some random card in the FOB, and I was informed by more than one spectator the card in the gimmick is a King. Because no matter how flat you make the card there will always be some part of it exposed. Other than that, it's the sickest revelation. I use it to end an effect by Gary Kurtz from his book Unexplainable Acts called Hypothetical Possibilities. Keep Calm and Sleight On!!!
[/quote]

Nice idea, although I personally just use some more double sided tape to keep it all flat!
I know this is an old thread. If I wanted to change the card in the gimmick, is it OK to use some acetate to remove any sticky residue from inside the gimmick fob?

Regards
NO. I tried this once and it resulted in a haziness to the plastic. I peel away as much tape as I can and just apply new tape with the new insert. Its not like the spectator "examine" the preswitched card. Its just a card or billet in a plastic case; they don't know whats going to happen. There's no real interest for them to inspect anything until the revelation.
I managed to clean mine up as good as new, after removing a card that had been stuck down for over a year.
Turps on an earbud worked wonders at removing the residue.
Is there a facebook group for this effect?

Long shot - but some of the items I've bought have one

Or is there a thread that I can talk and ask questions and not worry about revealing anything

Basically - I want to see if other people have the same [tiny] 'issue' I'm having

It could be handling [but not sure how to avoid this] - it could be that I'm new to magic

It isn't a major thing

I think this will be a great effect once I've put the practice in

Thanks for any help in pointing me towards a thread/facebook page
[quote]On Sep 9, 2016, The Duster wrote:
Is there a facebook group for this effect?

Long shot - but some of the items I've bought have one

Or is there a thread that I can talk and ask questions and not worry about revealing anything

Basically - I want to see if other people have the same [tiny] 'issue' I'm having

It could be handling [but not sure how to avoid this] - it could be that I'm new to magic

It isn't a major thing

I think this will be a great effect once I've put the practice in

Thanks for any help in pointing me towards a thread/facebook page [/quote]

No Facebook group any problems post in Secret Sessions someone will be able to help
Save 50% on FOB now and on other hundreds of awesome effects at: https://www.mystiquefactory.com/collections/spring-sale-1?page=6

Best,
Tom