(Close Window)
Topic: Invisible Deck---the reveal
Hi there,

While I'm very much new to magic I can do 3-5 effects that I'm comfortable doing. I was going to do an Invisible deck routine at a work function. Pretty basic...hand the person and invisible deck...get them to shuffle...laugh, tell them to take it out of the box first...play up the routine some more while they are working with this imaginary deck. I'm comfortable with that part of the routine but when I was practicing I found I didn't really know what to do for the last little bit when I pull out a real deck (ID) and reveal a reversed card. Does anyone have a bit of patter where I can transition from them playing with an imaginary deck of cards to the point where I reveal the reversed card? I don't want to just pick up my ID and say "TA-DA"
How about something like;

"Right you've shuffled an imaginary deck and turned over one card of your choosing within it.
The reason that we have not used a physical deck is to ensure that the selection process was completely free as it all happened in your mind, fair enough?

Now, the funny thing is that before I left the house this morning I did exactly that with a real deck do you want to see?"

Then ask their card and do the reveal in a way that suits your style.
That's pretty good! Thanks Stevie
You could always do the classic "Invisible deck becoming real" plot. Although I quite like Stevie's approach.
Thanks for the positive feedback on the idea, truth be told (dangerous in this game I know) I've never actually presented the ID as an invisible deck before.
I got one to use as an out for anything with a chance of failure, it was only when Mocha asked the question that I actually thought about how I would present this so thanks for that, think I'll get out there and give that presentation a go myself.
Here's a DVD that might be of interest to you. Jay provides a lot of excellent ideas.
http://magic.about.com/od/reviewscards/fr/082408sankey.htm

It's an excellent effect all on it's own.
Good shout motown, I dig a bit of sankey at times but completely forgot that he had a DVD on this.

Another item on the shopping list then.
There was also this inexpensive book that was published many years ago:
http://www.daytonamagic.com/products/INVISIBLE-SECRETS-REVEALED-by-EDDIE-FIELDS.html
Daryl also has an excellent DVD on the Invisible Deck.
Qua-Fiki came up with a new Mesh Bag principle (no black art) in which he begins by removing the Invisible Deck from the bag, which is obviously empty, tosses it out and does the usual stuff to have a card selected. Then he has the spectator toss the deck back so he can catch it in the bag. Suddenly, the deck becomes visible in the bag. Makes sense to me! It's called "Qua-Fiki's Mesh ID Bag" and it's found in The Wizards' Journal #23. As an added bonus, he shows you how to do the trick with a regular deck of cards so that the spectator can remove the visible deck, fan through it and find the reversed chosen card by himself. There's a video on the Web site advertisement page.
Definitely go with Daryl. Only 7.50$!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14200
I did it!
So we had a work get-together for the day on Friday and part of the day was a staff "talent" show. I signed up to do a routine using the ID. I used the theme visualization and how it ties in to the power of positive thinking. I started with...and I don't know the name of it...twisting hands? I know David Copperfield does this and you get the audience to clasp their hands in a particular way and then the performer is able to un-twist their hands while the audience can't. I said that I was able to do it while they struggled because I thought of myself in this impossible situation but over and over for the past week I visualized being able to overcome it.

I then talked about how sports stars use visualization to picture that perfect swing...or kicking the winning field goal...or what ever. And that through this technique and thinking positive you can turn your thoughts into reality. That's when I pulled out a bag (looked empty to the audience) and had a volunteer pull out an imaginary deck of cards. I asked them to really see it though in their mind...then a little routine where the put the cards on the table face up and played that part up a bit...then I had them select a "card" and hold it, look at it...use all their senses to really see and feel it then put it back in the deck and the deck into the bag.

I then reached in and pulled out my ID (which they thought was pretty cool becasue the bag looked empty to them) I reiterated that they imagined a deck of cards but it became reality becasue they were able to use visualization...I then spread the cards saying that they pictured themselves putting the card back in the deck upside down...I then showed the reversed card...had them pull out the card and place it face down on the table. Even with that, you could here people saying "no way...." I then had the volunteer turn the card over to look at it and show the audience...

It worked out really well. I was nervous but I did it with no major mistakes. I'm just going over in my mind what I can do differently or better next time but I'm pleased I was able to get up in front of about 40 people and do this.
Good job!
Well done mate! You'll only get better from here.
Message: Posted by: bobthemagicdoerguy (Dec 5, 2012 10:38PM)
You know, your approach sounds like what I like doing. Here is mine, in case it inspires you in any way.

Just like you, I start by discussing how visualizing things can help make them possible, using the analogy of athletes - visualizing before a golf swing, free throw, dive, how skiers mentally race the whole track prior to going... it helps if you know your audience, you can tailor it to their favorite sport.

Anyways, I pull out the deck and lay it on the table. As a personal preference, I've always liked having it on the table before I even start - I don't like people thinking that somehow I have 52 decks hidden and just pulled out the one for the card they named. This can be avoided by not having them name their chosen card until after the deck is in sight, but I've always preferred to have it in the open from the beginning.

Anyways, I have them mentally prepare doing a trick (the miming part), then say I'm going to try and do the same thing. I wave my hand over the deck and say "done." Its sort of a gag effect in that I can do it so much quicker than them. After that, I do the reveal.

Then, I switch to a real deck (now I just swap it when pulling out a Sharpie from my coat pocket, I don't feel that's the best way, but its worked so far.) Then I am all set up to go into a myriad of effects: Triumph (showing how I managed to turn over just one card), Ambitious Card (justifying the Sharpie) and a number of spectator-as-the-magician effects, since it follows so logically from the ID.

Good luck! Keep trying different things and see what you like best!
This is great! Thanks for sharing!
AK
Bobthemagicdoerguy, I would use the I.D. as a closer only, especially in a set of card tricks (or effects, if we get pedantic).
You might not agree, but I thought really hard about the I.D. and how to make it a reputation maker rather than just a very strong performance piece, and I wrote an ebook, found at http://www.lybrary.com/ideas-with-the-invisible-deck-p-321821.html. In addition to history, mechanics, options for making it better, analysis of weaknesses, and how to eliminate/minimize them, I also came up with a number of very different routines, which I believe are stronger than the popular "Invisible Deck" routine (which is cute nevertheless). Just putting it out there...
Check out bill malone doing the ID it starts at 17:00 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeOB-QqzNRE

he produces the deck in a nice way
Message: Posted by: Cristian Vidrascu (Sep 19, 2013 06:47AM)
Bill Malone's presentation is very entertaining, but I am not a fan of producing the deck magically. I won't go into too much detail here, but in a nutshell it takes away from the subsequent "magical moment" of the card's revelation. It also plants the seed of doubt in the spectators' minds about the "normalness" of the deck - basically I think nothing magical should involve the deck itself. I wrote my ideas and some routines with which I have had very much success here: http://www.lybrary.com/ideas-with-the-invisible-deck-p-321821.html. Each routine is different, and I also analyzed the weaknesses of the I.D. and how a routine can eliminate or minimize these weaknesses.
Nice presentation by Mr. Bill Malone. Personally, I use the Brainwave deck. It is also a killer routine.

Ray
The Reveal-

Nice and slow after a Build up to show how Incredible it really is...

I use a routine below-

A version Ive used for many years in larger groups is that they don't inspect the deck but they do handle the deck..this works very well

I wrap the deck in rubber bands
I use a tossed out deck effect with getting the entire-audience to all think of a card,
I toss the deck to 1 person who throws to another and then a 3rd person

I then emphasise that they have thought of any card that comes in a deck etc etc..

They bring the deck up on stage-nice loud voice-Name the card...

I tell of reversing 1 card prior etc,never met before etc..
Unwrap the deck from rubber bands

Rev card is the one they thought of......etc -Nice & slow as a build up as mentioned etc...

The fact 3 people in the crowd handled the deck & 1 had the thought of card is very Powerful..

Try it-worked for me for years as I don't like the other std methods used with imaginary deck etc-variation works well

Brent
Message: Posted by: Cristian Vidrascu (Jan 28, 2019 04:45PM)
Brent, I love your routine! However, what motivated you to turn a card upside down before the show? That may not make as much sense to the audience as saying that the deck was tossed around so much, that one card flipped over.

My suggested approach turns it into more of a "magic trick" (physical impossibility) than a feat of mentalism, but it is better justified. Of course, if your approach works for you, it sounds entertaining enough and it looks like it will play to a large crowd. It's a novel way to do the "tossed out deck"!
What motivates ANY prediction? Why are we so hung up on motivation even in situations where it is irrelevant? I undestand about motivation. I also understand about making a prediction and revealing it. Often, a magician doesn't reveal that he even made a prediction until after the selection is made. Then he produces an envelope, wallet, tattoo, etc. I see nothing wrong with the above routine. I don't see why the turning over of the card requires any motivation beyond that already given: 'Before I arrived here I turned over one card in the deck. I predicted that one of you would choose this card..etc etc'
I think his version is great.
Why not tell yours instead of telling of your book? If you think you have an improvemrnt on the usual method? :-)
Few yrs ago the above post, I have used 2 different versions occasionally, sure they have been done by other performers etc..- 1 is similar to above post but 1 person names colour,1 person names suit, 1 person names face or nos card, then reveal.
Did a work function on a pool table with cards face down from a normal deck on the table, 1 person hits 1 ball only with the white, stops on a face down card, previous pointed out deck beside table opened..reveal card etc..
I have performed this as "The Apprentice" TV show theme.

I hand out a deck to the audience and get everyone to choose a card.
While they are doing this, I get the birthday/anniversary etc people up. I ask them if they have seen the show, if not, I tell him/her/them the basic premise of "you're fired".
With the card holders standing, I get the "boss" to say things like, "Anyone with glasses, you're fired!" etc and they sit down.
Eventually, there will be one person left standing. I aske them the card value and suit and then show that I predicted their card.
Bill Cook has an interesting presentation of the invisible deck that he performed on Masters of Illusion (Season 4 Episode 11, "Old School With a Twist", broadcast Sep 08, 2017).

He presents it as a prediction effect, stating he's made a prediction in advance, and then gets a spectator to select a random card using their phone assistant. It's a nice way of using technology to give the trick a "modern" feel that emphasizes the randomness, and takes the heat off the deck itself.

You can watch his performance [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVyzjv5-mM]here[/url], starting around 13:45.
I skimmed this thread -- hope I'm not repeating anybody. Joshua Jay has a beginning magic book in which he presents the trick as follows. Spectator chooses card from imaginary deck, and then "throws" his deck into a bag that the magician is holding. As the magician catches the deck in her bag, you hear the sound of the deck falling into the bag. She then pulls out a real deck, and so on.
I like the idea of doing a deck switch and continuing with apparently the same deck.

Generally the plot used is "I set this deck up before I left home", therefore it doesn't make sense to switch the ID [b]in [/b], as apparently the same deck you have already been using.
Thought I'd stop lurking for a minute.

I was thinking about the ID only the other day and wondered about giving a marked deck to the volunteer to shuffle and choose from.
Get them to put their choice face down on the table, making sure the magician doesn't see the face.
You then remove the ID from your pocket and reveal your prediction before the chosen card is turned over.

Does that make sense?

Also, hello everyone :bigsmile:
The ID is great! As you learn more tricks you may find that you mess up. The ID is a perfect out!
Strictly speaking the gimmicked deck was originally called the ULTRA-MENTAL deck.

There are LOTS of presentations where a spectator chooses a card. They may freely name one, or they may select it from another deck. The card is then shown to match the only reversed card in the Ultra Mental deck. Somewhere along the line someone (I don't know who) came up with the [b] presentation [/b] of an imaginary "invisible deck". Most people now refer to the gimmick as ID rather than UM. And lots of people only know that one presentation. In fact, it is kind of weird that the original post was from someone who didn't know how to transition from the imaginary deck to the real one to do the reveal!
You're right Nikodemus, the standard ID routine only scratched the surface of this diverse tool. Jay Sankey and Oz Pearlman, along with many others, offer some fine collections containing many clever presentations for this utility prop.
If I am doing it as an actual “invisible” deck, then I often take it back from them and place the imagined deck into the pocket containing the ID. Depending on the crowd you can use your own version of Abracadabra or you can get them to Think the deck into existence. Then take out the deck prior to them naming the card.

The first time I did this for a group I set up a homemade version of jimgerrish’s Qua-Fiki Mesh ID Bag. It was a small McDonalds paper bag glued inside a larger McDonalds paper bag. The ID was hidden between the two layers and this was then crumpled and placed in the bin before the performance. Once the card had been chosen, I pulled the bag out of the bin, opened it and showed it was empty before getting the person with the deck to throw it to me and catching it in the bag. Pull out the ID and complete the reveal. (side note: If doing this for a group of people, I like to have one person choose colour and then they nominate the person to choose suit and then that person nominates someone to choose value. This eliminates the suspicion of a mole and preselected card)

These days I tend to do the ID after doing a couple of other tricks with a matching standard deck. I then switch with the ID and perform the ID routine, being sure to flash the back of the top section of the deck when they take their card. (I really like Brent’s use of rubber bands around the deck and might incorporate that to assist with my switch). Now that I’m working with my own setup with all values and suits on both sides, I’m much more confident using it.

-Darren