(Close Window)
Topic: Water Tanks.
Hey people.
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for building a water tank for escapes?

Thanks in advance.
If you have the funds, I have the equipment to make tanks in metal, acrylic and other materials. I can weld Ferris and non-ferris materials and the business 6 doors away can Powder Coat various metals. Making tanks also involves a lot of math knowledge for weight, moving it, filling and emptying. Badicslly, when you make a water tank you should probably consider it Not A "Do it yourself" project. Milk cans especially are best made so A, you will fit inside B, the MO works flawlessly. The lid must fit will Never get hung-up

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. There are "stress charts" available to know, for example, if you have a rolling bace, how thick the metal should be so it doesn't flex or bend under load. Additionally, if there is a gimmick involved, this is something that should be fail-safe.

There are probably 3 people here that I would trust with my life. I'm being serious. When it comes to water escapes you don't want to fool around and the best way to be safe is to have Richard, Nips or myself make this important device in a safe way so it operates without over- concern of accidents.

On the other hand, if you just want a big fish tank to be inside and you're on cement then you can hire any industrial fish tank maker but as soon as any kind of gimmick is involved a portable tank is best built by someone in the business.

Since you're in AU, I would try IAN but only if you have operating Capitol. It's not good business to ask a lot of questions then assume you can save some money by doing it cheaper by the guy down the street who has a garage full of hobbyist equipment.
Alright, thank you so much for that. it has cleared so much up.
would it be possible for you to PM me and we could talk further about this?
Jay's right on all accounts. The first question I would ask you is how long have you been doing escapes? You have said in another post " 6 months researching'
If this is true, why go straight for an under water escape?
That is correct, I did do 6 months researching.
but during thoes 6 months, I did lock picking, padlocks and handcuffs/leg irons.
also done straight jacket escapes (i know its been done alot)
even a upside down jacket

The water escape have really fasinated me.
I want to push my self, but I understand that's its not worth killing myself over.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Dec 1, 2012 08:58AM)
Tyler_stevo,

Have you tried picking the locks underwater? Repeatedly over the course of a few weeks. The reason I say this is that some lock mech's will rust and get bound up in a very short time.

So here is one of the problems. Your on stage under water and you notice that the lock worked fine earlier but all of a sudden it seems sticky and not wanting to open. Then you realize the spring has rusted inside the lock and now the pins will not move or the rust on the locks pins has caused them to stick below the sure line.

The other is picking a lock upside down in water which yields its own set of problems.

Also picking a lock in a pool will tarnish and rust the some lock parts extremely fast, much faster than one would think.

Just a few thoughts so you do not have any unexpected surprises and a few things to consider. hate to see some one kill themselves because they did not prepare for everything that could go wrong in a water or other type of escape.

Also powdered graphite does not work all that well on some locks as the powder can cause the channels of the pins to bind.
Go to a custom fishtank company... they have the expertise and the tools..

you don't really want to take on cutting and gluing the acrylic yourself.. the tank is bound to leak if you don't use the right saws and the right kind of acrylic glue, which normally bond the acrylic to itself.. not just glues it together
AHEM!
NEVER--I repeat--NEVER do ANYTHING underwater that requires TOOLS (such as picking)!!!
Tyler, as I said in another post here at the Café, check your sources of information. Just mentioning the term lock picking in conjunction with escapes and then adding the under water bid will and has brought out total unnecessary information and only adds to cloud you mind.
Before thinking about under water escape, get to know of what escapes are and what they should be.
Because this is an open forum, every man and his dog will pipe up and say something (just because they can)
The forum is like a huge book and in most books there is only a few bit for real and trustworthy information, most is misinformation and fill.
If you want to know about tanks, go to the ‘All tied’ section, read posts and check the peoples credentials , them PM them so you don’t get everyone having their say and leading you astray.
I know Steve who just posted the following ” NEVER--I repeat--NEVER do ANYTHING underwater that requires TOOLS (such as picking)!!!”
Trust his advice
[quote]
On 2012-12-01 09:58, MentalistCreationLab wrote:
the spring has rusted inside the lock and now the pins will not move or the rust on the locks pins has caused them to stick below the sure line. .............
Also powdered graphite does not work all that well on some locks as the powder can cause the channels of the pins to bind.
[/quote]
Hi, just to assist with providing accurate information;
sure line, is 'shearline' and
channel should be either 'chamber' or 'gallery' depending on the part being discussed.
Very few cylinders have these days have spring which would rust, as most locks are exposed to weather. Stainless steel and phosphor bronze is what is used. If a spring was corroded, it would never stick below the ‘shearline’ but only above, as it could be raise but not be pushed back down again.
MentalistCreationLab- I have picked 2 locks underwater. went alright.

ill be buying some more locks, and going underwater to practice. I think.

Thanks everyone for your help
[quote]
On 2012-12-01 21:09, tyler_stevo wrote:
MentalistCreationLab- I have picked 2 locks underwater. went alright.

ill be buying some more locks, and going underwater to practice. I think.

[/quote]

Your decision--hopefully not your funeral.
Let nobody say you weren't given friendly warning.
Steve_Mollett- did I say I was going to attempt it?
No, but you DID IMPLY it, so I felt compelled to comment.
I won't bother you anymore.
No need to bother. Just ask what color flowers, he prefers and does he want them in a bace or on a wreath.