(Close Window)
Topic: GOODBYE DOLLAR BILLS
Message: Posted by: MagicMattMan (Dec 2, 2012 01:47PM)
http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2012/dec/02/congress-considers-discontinuing-the-1-bill-ar-578900/

US Gov't is looking to discontinue $1 bills and replacing with sole use of $1 coins like our Northern Neighbor (who even has a $2 coin) ...

This is good and bad: no more Hundy 500, Extreme Burn, or First Hand, etc; but imagine all the new coin routines that would be created!

Thoughts?
Message: Posted by: Mary Mowder (Dec 2, 2012 01:57PM)
I wish we had the old silver dollar size coins or even the old 50 cent size.

All the coins now seem about two sizes (showing my age).

Will you be hoarding dollar bills or spending off your crisp consecutive serial number stashes?

-Mary Mowder
Message: Posted by: motown (Dec 2, 2012 04:53PM)
The ladies at the dance clubs will have to start carrying pouches. :)
Message: Posted by: Andrew M (Dec 3, 2012 01:56AM)
Lack of $1 bills doesn't stop you from doing magic with larger value bills. The UK hasn't had a £1 note since 1988, but First Hand has still been at the top of the bestsellers list for some UK magic shops.
Message: Posted by: Philip Busk (Dec 3, 2012 06:25PM)
And for how long have they talked about getting rid of the penny?
Message: Posted by: MikeHolbrook (Dec 4, 2012 10:42AM)
I believe the government was hoping that would happen with the Sacagawea dollar. I still find one in my change once in a while where it was mistaken for a quarter. I don't mind that they try again and put more thought into the coin this time.

Mike
Message: Posted by: J-Mac (Dec 25, 2012 10:46PM)
I say overhaul the system: Make paper and coin money sized by value instead of the craziness we have now.

BTW I wouldn’t have a problem with eliminating $1 bills and going with coins - but they need to make the quarter and dollar coins significantly different in size. Much too close now.

The biggest complaint I hear wrt coins replacing dollar bills is that all those coins will be too heavy in people's pockets. How many dollar bills do most folks carry around? I rarely have more than five singles at a time. Five of the smaller dollar coins wouldn’t bother me.

Jim
Message: Posted by: J-Mac (Dec 25, 2012 10:48PM)
Oh, and something I hope I never, ever see is selling naming rights on coins and/or paper currency! Can you really handle "The Domino's Pizza Dollar" coin? Shoot, they have ruined college bowl games for me already!!

Jim
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Dec 26, 2012 08:09PM)
Where did you get the idea that Extereme Burn has such limited options. If you use your imagination you could do Extreme Burn with super market coupons to Japanese yen if you wanted.
Message: Posted by: bowers (Dec 27, 2012 03:48PM)
Other countrys have been doing this for years now.
and they say it works so much better.
a dollar bill doesn't have much of a life span
before it has to be replaced.i don't think it will
hurt the magic efects though.
Message: Posted by: slyhand (Dec 28, 2012 06:33AM)
My father would tell me as a child that the government would not be making one dollar bills any longer.

When I asked why, he said "Because they are long enough already!"
Message: Posted by: ropeadope (Dec 28, 2012 06:45AM)
;>) Good one Sly! Right on time.
John
Message: Posted by: jcrabtree2007 (Jan 31, 2013 05:42PM)
Leave it to our government to go poking their noses were it don't belong. :( in our magic
Message: Posted by: Sammy J. (Jan 31, 2013 10:35PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-25 23:46, J-Mac wrote:
I say overhaul the system: Make paper and coin money sized by value instead of the craziness we have now.

Jim
[/quote]

Jim,
You apparently don't perform Extreme Burn, or one of the earlier versions. It is one of the best close up effects there is, and we are very fortunate in the United States that our currency is uniform in size.
I am in no hurry to change currency size based on value. I selfishly want to continue to turn a stack of ones into a stack of hundreds. Very strong magic.

Cheers!
Sammy
Message: Posted by: ralphs007 (Feb 1, 2013 10:13AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-31 23:35, Sammy J. wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-25 23:46, J-Mac wrote:
I say overhaul the system: Make paper and coin money sized by value instead of the craziness we have now.

Jim
[/quote]

Jim,
You apparently don't perform Extreme Burn, or one of the earlier versions. It is one of the best close up effects there is, and we are very fortunate in the United States that our currency is uniform in size.
I am in no hurry to change currency size based on value. I selfishly want to continue to turn a stack of ones into a stack of hundreds. Very strong magic.

Cheers!
Sammy
[/quote]
Hi Sammy
I'm gonna start stocking up on one dollar bills now. I'll use a patter similar to Michael Ammar's patter for why they stopped making two dollar bills. For example , " They stopped making one dollar bill because people were taking them and turning them into twenty's.

This is going to effect a couple of my favorite effects,Mismade bill,ultra night shades and fraud.
Message: Posted by: J-Mac (Feb 2, 2013 02:00PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-31 23:35, Sammy J. wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-25 23:46, J-Mac wrote:
I say overhaul the system: Make paper and coin money sized by value instead of the craziness we have now.

Jim
[/quote]

Jim,
You apparently don't perform Extreme Burn, or one of the earlier versions. It is one of the best close up effects there is, and we are very fortunate in the United States that our currency is uniform in size.
I am in no hurry to change currency size based on value. I selfishly want to continue to turn a stack of ones into a stack of hundreds. Very strong magic.

Cheers!
Sammy
[/quote]

But I do have EB2 and love it. Beyond magic however, the utility of same-size currency is bad in general for everyone else. (And especially the blind!) I'm talking common sense and logic, not necessarily what is best for magicians. In that respect, yes, same-size currency works best for our effects.

Thanks!

Jim
Message: Posted by: J-Mac (Feb 2, 2013 02:01PM)
Ralph, they haven't stopped making two dollar bills. I just purchased some!

Jim
Message: Posted by: ralphs007 (Feb 2, 2013 03:27PM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-02 15:01, J-Mac wrote:
Ralph, they haven't stopped making two dollar bills. I just purchased some!

Jim
[/quote]
Maybe I got the patter for Michael Arrmars two dollar bill trick wrong. This is the one where he tears the two dollar bill into two ones. I could have swore that he said "the reason the government stopped making two dollar bills was because people were ripping them in half" then he showed the two ones.
Well anyway... I'm ready for when they stop making ones !
Message: Posted by: J-Mac (Feb 2, 2013 10:12PM)
I think Michael Ammar did say that - I have that video. Harry Anderson says it in his recent Penguin lecture too. Got me concerned enough that I decided to look around and buy up what I could. What I found was that while they are not being printed currently, the reason for that is there is about $1,500,000,000 in $2 bills currently in circulation. The US Treasury says that they only print them when the Federal Reserve requests more to be printed, and they haven't done so for about 8 or 9 years - because demand is low and there are plenty already in circulation. But the $2 bill is still a "circulating denomination of US currency".

Thanks!

Jim
Message: Posted by: Chris Westfall (Feb 4, 2013 12:23AM)
From a canadian point of view!!!!!

The coins that we use as 1 dollar and two dollar coins are great they are a good size and neat in colour! since we have 1 and 2 dollar coins there are some really cool things with a canadian copper/silver coins! stuff you might even be interested in... like really cool!

we actually discontinued the penny today feb. 1st 2013 and our bills have changed from paper to plastic that is almost impossible to rip, it has a clear strips down the bills that that are transparent and the bill wont stay folded or creased.... so consider yourself lucky!

AND PLEASE SOMEONE GO TO THE BANK GET SOME CANADIAN BILLS.. THE PLASTIC ONES (they all will be soon) and come up with some new and never seen before magic with this futuristic cash!
Message: Posted by: Mark R. Williams (Feb 8, 2013 08:47AM)
[/quote]
Beyond magic however, the utility of same-size currency is bad in general for everyone else. (And especially the blind!) I'm talking common sense and logic, not necessarily what is best for magicians.

Thanks!

Jim
[/quote]

I really don't know who "everyone else" is but multi-sized bills are a pain to place in a wallet or money clip and do not fold together well. I for one don't like the idea of carrying around a BIGGER wallet............. And besides the blind (who they now make pocket currency readers for I see NO advantage to me or most people. Cash drawers in the registers would have to be completely reworked and made larger. I for one, have NEVER given someone a five for a one or a hundred for a ten EVER!!! I look at the bills before I tender them......................

And as for "most people" carrying few ones, aparently you don't know any waitreses (or strippers)..........or any people visiting either............................ :)

regards,

Mark
Message: Posted by: wwhokie1 (Feb 11, 2013 01:04PM)
Yes, two dollar bills are still a current denomination, as is the half dollar coin. Just ask your bank for them, if they don't have them they can get them. No need to buy them anywhere, get them at face value at the bank. Many people don't realize that the Susan B Anthony dollar coin was the official dollar coin until 1999. That coin had not been minted for years simply because the treasury had far too many. In 1999, before the new Sacagawea dollar coin came out the treasury ran out of the old Susan b Anthony and had to produce new Susan B Anthony coins in 1999, a coin that had not been made for 18 years. The one dollar bill will be around until the government is prepared to make the general population mad, since no one really uses the dollar coin outside of casinos. We just like our paper money. They are not even willing to get rid of the penny which costs 5 or 6 cents to make and no one would really miss.
Message: Posted by: Andy Tauber (Feb 12, 2013 10:45PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-02 14:57, Mary Mowder wrote:
I wish we had the old silver dollar size coins or even the old 50 cent size.

All the coins now seem about two sizes (showing my age).

Will you be hoarding dollar bills or spending off your crisp consecutive serial number stashes?

-Mary Mowder
[/quote]

Mary:

I just bought a load of Kenedy Halfs both All Silver and new metal mix and IKE Dollars at a local coin dealer. They usually have buckets full.
Message: Posted by: Jason Simonds (Feb 13, 2013 10:01AM)
In December 2011, Secretary of the Treasury Timothy F. Geithner directed that the United States Mint suspend minting and issuing circulating Presidential $1 Coins. Regular circulating demand for the coins will be met through the Federal Reserve Bank's existing inventory of circulating coins minted prior to 2012.

according to

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/
Message: Posted by: Adam Wood (Feb 25, 2013 03:09PM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-04 01:23, Chris Westfall wrote:
From a canadian point of view!!!!!

The coins that we use as 1 dollar and two dollar coins are great they are a good size and neat in colour! since we have 1 and 2 dollar coins there are some really cool things with a canadian copper/silver coins! stuff you might even be interested in... like really cool!

we actually discontinued the penny today feb. 1st 2013 and our bills have changed from paper to plastic that is almost impossible to rip, it has a clear strips down the bills that that are transparent and the bill wont stay folded or creased.... so consider yourself lucky!

AND PLEASE SOMEONE GO TO THE BANK GET SOME CANADIAN BILLS.. THE PLASTIC ONES (they all will be soon) and come up with some new and never seen before magic with this futuristic cash!
[/quote]

I hate our new bills, it used to be so much fun to "accidently" tear someones bill and...as Chris said, we must come up with new routines that utilize the properties of the new bills. Did I mention that I hate our new bills?
Message: Posted by: 1KJ (Mar 11, 2013 01:03AM)
I agree, I dislike the new bills and coins. It is a waste of scarse resources. We have the worst national debt in history and we are wasting money designing new money.
Message: Posted by: B.W. McCarron (Jul 7, 2013 11:25AM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-28 07:33, slyhand wrote:
My father would tell me as a child that the government would not be making one dollar bills any longer.

When I asked why, he said "Because they are long enough already!"
[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm going to use this. Your dad and I must have the same sense of humor.
Thanks slyhand!

Brett
Message: Posted by: RicoGood (Jul 12, 2013 12:26PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-02 17:53, motown wrote:
The ladies at the dance clubs will have to start carrying pouches. :)
[/quote]

There are other possibilities :lol:
Message: Posted by: Mago! (Jul 15, 2013 03:14PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-03 19:25, Philip Busk wrote:
And for how long have they talked about getting rid of the penny?
[/quote]

A lot of years! I was about to say the same!
Message: Posted by: Gary T. (Jul 22, 2013 11:25AM)
They've talked about getting rid of the penny long enough that people literally have storage sheds full of the older pennies that were actually copper, waiting to melt them down the minute it's legal.
Message: Posted by: manal (Jul 23, 2013 08:41PM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-02 23:12, J-Mac wrote:
I think Michael Ammar did say that - I have that video. Harry Anderson says it in his recent Penguin lecture too. Got me concerned enough that I decided to look around and buy up what I could. What I found was that while they are not being printed currently, the reason for that is there is about $1,500,000,000 in $2 bills currently in circulation. The US Treasury says that they only print them when the Federal Reserve requests more to be printed, and they haven't done so for about 8 or 9 years - because demand is low and there are plenty already in circulation. But the $2 bill is still a "circulating denomination of US currency".

Thanks!

Just be prepared for the dumbfounded looks you get when you use them to purchase something.
Don't be surprised if they try to refuse them as currency .

Jim
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: manal (Jul 23, 2013 08:44PM)
[quote]
On 2013-07-22 12:25, Gary T. wrote:
They've talked about getting rid of the penny long enough that people literally have storage sheds full of the older pennies that were actually copper, waiting to melt them down the minute it's legal.
[/quote]

The copper in a penny is worth about 7 cents which is of course more then the face value of the coin.
Message: Posted by: slyhand (Jul 25, 2013 06:06AM)
[quote]
On 2013-07-07 12:25, Mercurio wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-28 07:33, slyhand wrote:
My father would tell me as a child that the government would not be making one dollar bills any longer.

When I asked why, he said "Because they are long enough already!"
[/quote]


Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm going to use this. Your dad and I must have the same sense of humor.
Thanks slyhand!

Brett
[/quote]

Be my guest. I still use it to this day. :)
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Sep 10, 2013 11:26AM)
The government has been trying to get rid of the dollar bill for years and years. It is the retailers that will not support the change. They give all kinds of excuses like, the cash register does not have enough partitions. Employees can't count, except one dollar at a time. Consumers don't like all those heavy coins in their pockets.

I really like to give dollar coins to cashiers, they call the manager over to ask if the coin is real, he or she cannot answer, so they call home office. They don't know either. Why all these people are in their 20's and 30's.

So unless the government makes a mandate, it will never happen.

It seems there is a congressional mandate to keep making the quarter size dollar coins anyway. Government wasting more money. The penny is copper coated aluminum, the coins are all clad coins, and it costs more to make them then they are worth.

Government logic at work.