(Close Window)
Topic: Ball Vase Routines
Looking for any books or dvds that might have ball vase or passé passé routine ideas. If anyone can give me some leads, it would be appreciated.

Thanks CHRIS
I think Michael Skinner does a good routine on one of his dvd's ?
That same routine was just (re)published in the Nov-Dec double issue of Genii.

Also, Jim Riser was making sets for the Mike Gallo routine (ungimmicked), although I don't know where that routine is published.
Charlie Frye in his DVD Eccentricks 3 explains some interesting and novel routines with the Ball Vase.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1493

The Eccentricks material is also available in a book (if you prefer) by the same title from Charlie Frye's web site.
The Mike Gallo is on a DVD along with a couple of coin effects.
Thank you very much gentlemen.

CHRIS
Duraty has a book ready for publishing with H&R including a ball and vase routine with a liquisd finish
I've got a routine with the plastic ball and vase that features a new move or two, as far as I know. It's supposed to appear in Genii someday, so if someone would just stalk David Acer relentlessly, we should see it. Spoiler: you'll need the ball and vase, an orange plastic snap purse, and a glass eye.
Well, Curtis, that sounds interesting. I'd love to see it.

Mark
Me too
Marlo has some work on it as well.
Now since we have moves to let the ball fall from the vase when it actually stays in it, I worked at stealing the ball when covering the vase with it's cover. With some vase where the ball is not too deep in the vase, it's pretty easy. It is also easy to sneak a ball in as the cover is lifted.
All of this to say that we are not at the end of the Ball and Vase potential both in terms of methods and in terms of effects
[quote]
On 2012-12-05 07:12, Michael Baker wrote:

Also, Jim Riser was making sets for the Mike Gallo routine (ungimmicked), although I don't know where that routine is published.
[/quote]

The Gallo routine can be found in the November 1983 issue of Richards' Almanac (Issue 15). More easily found now in The Collected Almanac.
Here is a list of Ball Vase routines I've tracked down. This list was included with my Olive Bottle (a bottle shaped ball vase) which was produced by RNTII.

Fox, Karrell, “The Dwarf’s Bowling Trophy”, Clever…like a Fox by Karrell Fox (Supreme Magic Co. 1976), pp. 42-44.

Gallo, Mike, “i.e., Ball and Vase”, Richard’s Almanac by Richard Kaufman (Richard Kaufman 1983), November 1983 Issue 15, pp. 141-142.

Howie, John, “Ball Box Routine”, The Linking Ring by John Howie (The International Brotherhood of Magicians 1965), December 1965 Volume 45 No. 12, pp. 85-90.

Hurley, Roland, “Notes on the Vase”, The Hierophant by Jon Racherbaumer (Jon Racherbaumer 1969), Winter 1969 Number 2, p. 77.

Kingston, Charles, “Charles Kingston’s Ball and Vase Routine”, The Gen by Lewis Ganson (Harry Stanley 1956), September 1956 Volume 12 Number 5, pp. 105-108.

Mardo, Senor, “The Ball and Vase”, White Sorcery by Senor Mardo (Morcom’s House of Novelties 1951), p.15.

Marlo, Edward, “Duplex Ball and Vase”, Arcade Dreams by Jon Racherbaumer and Edward Marlo (Kaufman and Company 1997), pp. 74-76.

Marlo, Edward, “Marlo’s Pitch Routine”, The Hierophant by Jon Racherbaumer (Jon Racherbaumer 1969), Winter 1969 Number 2, p. 78.

Osbourn, Tom, “The Cup and Ball Vase”, Cups and Balls Magic by Tom Osbourn (Kanter’s Magic shop 1937), pp. 54-55.

Peterson, Allan, “Peterson’s Ball Box Routine”, The Magic Wand by Allan Peterson (The Magic Wand Publishing Co. 1952), June 1952 No. 234 Vol. XLI, pp. 88-91.

Skinner, Michael, “Bewildering Ball Vase”, Genii by Michael Skinner (William W. Larsen, Jr. 1969), December 1969 Volume 34 No.4, pp.183-185.

Skinner, Michael , “Bewildering Ball Vase”, Michael Skinner’s Intimate Magic by Jeff Busby (Jeff Busby Magic, Inc. 1982), pp. 15-22.

Spill, Steve, “A touch of Salt”, The Spill Bar and Grille by Steve Spill (Paul Diamond Gems of Magic Series 5, 1980), pp. 51-52.

Tarbell, Harlan, “Tarbell’s Ball and Vase Routine”, Tarbell Course in Magic Vol. 8 by Dr. Harlan Tarbell (D. Robbins & Co., Inc. 1993), pp. 232-234.

Victor, Edward, “Have you a Ball Vase?”, The Magic of Edward Victor’s Hands by Rae Hammond (Kaufman and Greenberg 1995), pp. 134-135.
Excellent list.
Great research and well detailed, thanks for sharing your work
[quote]
On 2012-12-13 02:43, Curtis Kam wrote:
. Spoiler: you'll need the ball and vase, an orange plastic snap purse, and a glass eye.
[/quote]

Crap! I just sold my glass eye to get a new set of Sherwood cups!
Mitch...amazing list! I'm currently working on an italian essay on cups and balls & similar items and your list will be really helpful to my research! Well done!
Mr Kam's routine appears in the March 2013 issue of "MAGIC" magazine.
I have a nice Ball Vase from James Riser, but don't forget Eric Hanson. Eric makes a lot of nice stuff from all sorts of wood and I have a really nice ball vase made out of birds eye maple from him. At his web site http://www.magicnook.com/EricHansen/EricHansen.htm you can also get the Routine for Hansen's Egg Cup by Professor Spellbinder for $5. All though it says Egg cup I believe it also does regular ball vase. Trust me, Eric does very nice work, I love the ball vase from him and my two very unique chop cups that I believe handles chop balls better than my other chop cups.

The only thing about Eric Hanson's Ball&Vase was that it did not come with balls, so I ended up buying crochet balls from RNT-2.

Check out Eric Hanson's stuff and I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

Have fun folks...
[quote]
On 2012-12-05 07:34, Tony Thomas wrote:
Charlie Frye in his DVD Eccentricks 3 explains some interesting and novel routines with the Ball Vase.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1493

The Eccentricks material is also available in a book (if you prefer) by the same title from Charlie Frye's web site.
[/quote]

Man, I am a fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8JA8ZgQm38&list=PL9B1527CB37DE903B
I do a simple routine that's very similar to a fellow Andy Fields who can be seen on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TpMOk1rRXQ. There's a guy in florida who sells the cheap sets on Ebay, but he really works them up and did a very fine job for me. In fact, I'm asking him to come up with a larger set. I've got to say that a lot of people know the ball and vase but with some very simple sleights (color changes largely) I really 'wow' people who though they knew what's going on. Take a look at the link above and you'll see what I mean.
I did Curtis's ideas as shown in the recent magazine for the magic club last night and added a bounce/ no bounce ball to it and it was all a lot of fun to do.

Marty
Marty, b/nb balls are a great idea. And on hard surfaces, the little black plastic ball that comes with the set bounces like crazy, anyway. Hmm, I might not be done with this routine yet.
Am thinking about this even more.. was thinking for the smart a.......lecks I might end up with 2 no bounce balls for their intensive inspection.

Marty
I agree that Mike Gallo has a very nice routine with a ball & vase where at the end he switches in a large different colored ball...nice touch..
Bill
Charlie Frye.
Duraty's routine with liquid finishhas finally been published by Lybrary.com. I love the book so much that I translated it in English at no charge. So I'm slanted but here is Roy W. Eidem's comment on the book that he purchased.

"I recently got back from an extended road trip. I took with me as my companion to read Duraty's "Irresistible Close Up Magic." What an extremely delightful collection and cornucopia of real world magic gleaned from decades of experience! It is difficult to pick a favorite: rings, coins, bills, balls, nuts & bolts, ropes, Okito box, match box, glasses, business cards, tiny light bulbs, and more. No cards, no fillers. Every magician will happily learn more about the art they love by reading this wonderful book!"
I recommend Tarbell's ball and vase routine from vol 8 as well. It's a very nice presentation.
I have done the ball vase and when I showed the vase everybody knew what it was. the knew it from the magic box. they could tell the workings too. did somebode else experienced that too?
I have been tempted to buy or make an ungimmicked version so it can be inspected before the trick. I am not sure it is worth it to me though. Still it would be fun to show it to certain smarties.

Patrick
[quote]On Jan 29, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
I have done the ball vase and when I showed the vase everybody knew what it was. the knew it from the magic box. they could tell the workings too. did somebode else experienced that too? [/quote]

It is a commonly sold item in toy stores or even stores like "Five and Below". Still I have toyed with the idea of a routine like Charlie Frye's, it can be entertaining and even some surprising magical moments even if they know how it works.
Yeah...Duraty new book is absolutely stunning. Great job. And the vase routine is a real worker!
[quote]On Dec 5, 2012, Lawrence O wrote:
Duraty has a book ready for publishing with H&R including a ball and vase routine with a liquisd finish [/quote]

I would love to see an example of this.
One of the best routines that I have found is by Doug Gorman called the Stones of Tutankhamun with the props made by Jim Riser. Only 20 sets were manufactured (I think) and I have #6 (WOOHOO). I'm not sure if Doug ever published the routine without buying the props -- they were sold as a complete set. You can easily contact Doug about the routine and he will respond within a day and on Jim Risers website he has a video of the routine - Top Notch. With Doug's blessing, you could use other Ball Vase sets with a paint job and a few other items, to perform the routine.
[quote]On Jan 29, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
I have done the ball vase and when I showed the vase everybody knew what it was. the knew it from the magic box. they could tell the workings too. did somebode else experienced that too? [/quote]

When I started to do a ballvase Routine, I wanted to have the spectators examine the Vase. Hand out the Vase and the ball (without the lid + Gimmick). Take it back, put the lid on it, then as you would have forgotten just Hand the lid as well for examination.

But nowadays I do ballvase only without the Gimmick. Then you can have them examine it all the way.
The late great card expert, Ed Marlo, published a fantastic Ball and Vase routine using the Adam's Magic set. I believe it was in The New Tops Magazine by Abbott's back in the 1970's. Great full close-up routine.
[quote]On Aug 1, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The late great card expert, Ed Marlo, published a fantastic Ball and Vase routine using the Adam's Magic set. I believe it was in The New Tops Magazine by Abbott's back in the 1970's. Great full close-up routine. [/quote]

It's also in ARCADE DREAMS/Marlo Without Cards, a beautiful (seldom mentioned) hardbound book by Ed Marlo & Jon Racherbaumer, circa late 1990's.

Julie
[quote]On Dec 5, 2012, Michael Baker wrote:

Also, Jim Riser was making sets for the Mike Gallo routine (ungimmicked), although I don't know where that routine is published. [/quote]+

Mike,
hello and how are you these days? I was speaking with Bill Sutter last night and your name came up. All good of course. You're contribution
to magic with your talent and create such beautiful effects. I just wanted to stop in and say hello to you.

Sincerely,
Jacob Sr.
[quote]On Aug 1, 2016, Julie wrote:
[quote]On Aug 1, 2016, Bill Hegbli wrote:
The late great card expert, Ed Marlo, published a fantastic Ball and Vase routine using the Adam's Magic set. I believe it was in The New Tops Magazine by Abbott's back in the 1970's. Great full close-up routine. [/quote]

It's also in ARCADE DREAMS/Marlo Without Cards, a beautiful (seldom mentioned) hardbound book by Ed Marlo & Jon Racherbaumer, circa late 1990's.

Julie [/quote]

Arcade Dreams rocks. It addresses some "ghetto magic" tricks like the Ball Vase, Magic Frame, and even the Snapper with fresh ways of looking and performing these trite props. Just wonderful thinking, especially since so many people are familiar with these magic set staples.
[quote]On Dec 5, 2012, Michael Baker wrote:

Also, Jim Riser was making sets for the Mike Gallo routine (ungimmicked), although I don't know where that routine is published. [/quote]

Mike,
D. Robbins was carrying the Gallo DVD some years back. I just spoke to Mike a week or two ago, I'm making a few things for him. I'll
see if he is still distributing the dvd, it really is a great routine.

Mad Jake Sr.

PS. Lyn Johnson (Milson Worth) were talking about how beautiful your work is. Much to my surprise he's still manufacturing. But all your work is so beautiful these days.
Was glad to see them on Steven's site.
Probably one of the most hilarious routines I ever saw was done by Keith Fields using the small cheap plastic ball and vase (actually several of them) I also think it was so funny do to the English accent. not sure if anyone as ever seen it? watching him do that one routine with a cheap plastic trick made me an instant fan of his!
I love the Gallo routine. On another note... Is see Jim Riser is currently not producing the nicer ball and vase sets. Is Angelo still producing? If so, does anyone have his current contact info. My old email address for him bounced back. Lastly, it there anyone you would recommend that I should look at that still makes nicer ball and vase sets? Thanks so much in advance.
Eric Hansen makes them without the gimmick
Viking has one with the gimmick that is beautiful, they are out of stock but send an email to George Robinson and ask him directly
[quote]On Mar 22, 2019, pabloinus wrote:
Eric Hansen makes them without the gimmick
Viking has one with the gimmick that is beautiful, they are out of stock but send an email to George Robinson and ask him directly [/quote]

Thanks so much!
Spellbinder's No-Shell Routine for the Eric Hansen Egg Cup/ Ball Vase is available at The Magic Nook: https://www.magicnook.com/WIZj16/WIZ16-05HansesEggCup.htm The same principles can be applied to Dollar Store Halloween Vases (the ones shaped like skulls, etc.) in which the egg hatches into a baby dragon that flies off, as described here: https://www.magicnook.com/CraftyMagic/BZ01-05Dragon.htm - "Dragon's Egg Over Easy."
I have never seen Eric’s wood turned items, but the price sure seems right. Thank you
Eric Hansen does great work! I have 2 of his pieces, a chop cup and a ball vase.
he comes to town once or twice a year and I always try to check out his latest creations.