(Close Window)
Topic: Chris Mayhew Safety!
Chris was talking to me about this the other night but didn't say to much. Now that I've seen it all I can say is wow! Check it out!
http://www.ellusionist.com/safety-by-chris-mayhew.html
That final phase looks awesome. Great job Chris!
Excellent visuals on the last 2 phases and immediately examinable, nice!
It does look very nice, and very visual, but it looks the same as Bruce Bernstein’s routine and from the looks, it’s the same exact method. The only difference is we are now going to have a bunch of pre-teens exposing the method on YouTube, and loading the video on torrent sites.

I really enjoyed being one of the few “younger” guys who knew about this gem.
Chris is a creative guy, but in this case can anyone say Deamweaver by Nicholas Bengston? Dreamweaver came out years ago and is a longer routine (around 9 phases) and uses an additional gaffed safety pin for one or two of the phases. Otherwise Chris's routine looks pretty darn close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq6nEuMIakU
Dreamweaver also came to mind for me when watching this demo, but I think Safety looks much better.
Years ago I got fried by Dreamweaver.

Here's the official demo on it. It's only $11, which is amazing. If released today it would come with a DVD and be $35 ( and be worth it ).

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4678

Steve Brooks reviewed in back in 2004:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=59493&forum=71
This is sick...I love it!!
I love chris's magic but I too struggled to see what was different between this and other routines already on the market.
I think Chris Mayhew is a great talent. I like him and his magic. But with Dan Garret's Pindemonium ( which Dreamweaver is based on ) and other such versions, I didn't see anything new with Safety ( IMHO ).
Hi guys, as we all know, the linking safety pins has been around for a very long time. What Dreamweaver brought to the table was a gimmicked pin that allowed for some beautiful links. The handling taught in dreamweaver was basically an extension of Dan Garret's Pindemonium, which in turn, is Dan's own handling for UnSafety pins by Han Van Senus. I am not trying to claim any originality in method to the effect, but I do believe my refined handling on the links bring something unique and beautiful to the already full table. I wanted to create a stream lined routine that had each phase escalate to a climax that only Dan Garret's sliding link could fulfil. Unfortunately the iphone video shot missed out on some key elements that I thought were important for the routine. I fought to have it removed, but alas the company thought the younger generation of magicians would dig it, and they are probably correct (it was my own fault for not doing the trick right anyways). However if you watch the professionally shot video which comes after, my hope is that the more seasoned professionals will see the small touches I have added that really make this routine worth performing. I didn't want the first link to be visual, and it racked my brain for ages on how I could make that possible since at it's core, the linking pins is meant to be a visual routine. I wanted to add build up and tension, and I really do believe if done right, the first phase of the routine does just that. I wanted the second phase to be very straight forward, and not have to hide behind large circular actions to misdirect the origin of the link. And of course, the last phase is a refined handling of Dan Garret's sliding link from his amazing routine Pindemonium. I contacted Dan personally and asked for his permission to teach his fantastic link within the context of my routine. Dan was very gracious and said yes. If he had said no, I would of had no problem scrapping the project. We all stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before us, my only hope is that those giants want us on their shoulders, so we can continue to move this art forward. Even if you already know the method to this effect, I still think there is a ton of valuable information taught on the DVD that will help make your routine better. This is just my two cents, feel free to take it or leave it. Cheers.

Chris Mayhew
Anyone have this?
I have both Dreamweaver and Pindemonium.
Chris Mayhew handling is the best I've ever seen. Looks like real magic in his hands.
He's quite a talent.
Tricky Ricky
I want to jump in here and comment.

The difference between "bad" and "good" is a big one. The difference between "good" and "great" are the little ones.

Chris has done a lot of research into the linking safety pin plot (as you can see from his post), and what he's claiming here is new touches that will take this trick from good to great for many people.

His routine is well structure and well thought out. He's added touches that turn "standard" phases into miracles. He provides detailed instruction and good crediting.

While I can understand some people's hesitation, let me say this:

"If you're new to the plot, this is a great way to discover it. And if you're familiar with it, and love it... then you owe it to yourself to pick this up."
Message: Posted by: Bill Abbott Magic (Dec 14, 2012 11:55PM)
I never gave two farts about the linking pins. I've seen all of the best do it - including my friend and mentor Bob Sheets and Dan Garrett. Mayhew was the first one to make it magic for me. In a parking garage, over beers, inches away from my face. And yes I frequently hang out in parking garages. With Mayhew inches away from my face.

Cheers
Bill Abbott
Those are darn good endorsements. I'm tapped out on the magic buying for awhile ( family stuff ) so hopefully someone picks this up to review it.
If my endorsement was worth anything, this is one of the few products I would be HONORED to put my name on.

That's all I'm sayin'. ;)
It looks terrific!
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 00:36, Ben Train wrote

"If you're new to the plot, this is a great way to discover it. And if you're familiar with it, and love it... then you owe it to yourself to pick this up."
[/quote]

I am new to this plot and will def. be getting this....looks so visually unbelievable. Thanks for your post, which has endorsed the feeling I had when I first viewed the demo...Beautiful eye candy magic.
Can anyone tell me if this is available anywhere in the UK yet?
Do the pins come with the DVD?
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 00:55, Bill Abbott Magic wrote:
I never gave two farts about the linking pins. I've seen all of the best do it - including my friend and mentor Bob Sheets and Dan Garrett. Mayhew was the first one to make it magic for me. In a parking garage, over beers, inches away from my face. And yes I frequently hang out in parking garages. With Mayhew inches away from my face.

Cheers
Bill Abbott
[/quote]

Two farts and a parking garage? Two men and a baby? Hmmm is this a hint Bill to a new career for you perhaps? Actor?

J
I just purchased Bruce B's version. I like Bruce's stuff and I also like Chris's stuff.

Maybe I'll pick up Chris's see how they compare.

J
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 08:00, magicman1 wrote:
Do the pins come with the DVD?
[/quote]

The 'package' deal from Ellusionist came with 4 2" safety pins. Mayhew found that shorter safety pins work better than the 3" ones recommended in "Grab that pinhead".
I think the demo video did Chris Mayhew and Mayhew's effect "Safety!" a disservice. On the DVD with none of the demo video cuts, the effect is beautiful and strong (and follows the rule of three). Chris's humor is actually quite humorous and appropriate.

Both times I watched the demo video (a month apart), I could not see the beauty or strength of the effect and I thought the humor was trying too hard (or coming on too strong in such a brief time). It was a clear NO to buying it to me despite my interest in the plot.

It wasn't until I saw the comments here that I decided to buy the video despite the demo. IMHO, a much better demo video would be the first three or so minutes of the actual DVD (the brief description of why he developed this effect and the effect demoed uncut). Perhaps this DVD is selling like hotcakes and it was only me that didn't like the demo...
Ben, you captured it perfectly that small changes can turn good into great ("one degree"!!).

Chris, I love this routine. Just bought it. Truthfully, I have never been a fan of the linking pins...until seeing you do it.
The three-phase structure is a thing of beauty. Really great!

John G
My initial review of Safety! by Chris Mayhew

Safety! is a strong, beautiful three-phase routine where the pins can be examined immediately before and after the routine. As I mentioned earlier, for me, it plays much stronger on the DVD than in the demo video. See comments from Bill Abbott and John Guastaferro above about how strong this routine is (presumably in person).

The entire video is 23 minutes and all but about 10 critical seconds of the detailed explanation is shot from the spectator's point of view (dead on). As a result, most of the work is completely invisible from the camera's point of view during the explanation. In addition, they made an "artistic" choice of having the camera man madly pulling focus between Chris's face and his hands. As a result, Chris's hands were completely out of focus at some key points in the explanation, which drove me a little crazy.

Fortunately, sanity prevailed and they cut in a few ~3 second exposed views (totally in focus) to show you what actually was happening. By pausing the video at these key points, you can figure out exactly what is happening and how he exactly holding the pins (a valuable thing for making things invisible). I would have loved the entire routine shot from an exposed view (or two) but there is enough there to learn this strong routine.

Mayhew clearly has thought about this routine a lot (over eight years) and imparts a lot of useful information during the explanation. I really liked that he stated one enhancement stemmed from his difficulty in making a Pindemonium phase look as good as the way Garret performed it. I had the same exact problem and I just kept figuring I needed more practice (and kept wishing for a better exposed view in "Grab that pinhead"). Chris's enhanced handling removes this problem.

Crediting appears good to me (but I am not a crediting guru). For one key idea, he didn't mention Bruce Bernstein like I expected but instead referenced a Michael Weber book from 1991.

Overall, a strong beautiful three phased linking pin routine that I believe I will use instead of the Pindemonium and Bernstein routines I have been fiddling with for a long while. I haven't performed it yet, so I cannot comment on how it actually plays yet.
I have never really thought about doing the linking safety pins until I saw Chris perform it. It looked so magical. I have been practicing this now and am about ready to start performing it. I can't wait to see the reactions it gets.

Keep up the great work, Chris!
Didn't Dreamweaver use three pins?
I received the DVD+pins (ungimmicked) today, and well, that's pretty amusing. I love them. I have one regret though. You can't hand them out for examination while they are linked. For what I know, the linking pins by Gaetan Bloom can be examined while linked.
I was looking for this and cant seem to find where to pick this up? Safety by Chris Mayhew ?? Anybody know?
Ellusionist used to offer it, but I see they no longer do. Mayhew explains the routine on his "At the Table" lecture, however.
Cool thank you