(Close Window)
Topic: Diction
Does anybody have this and what do you think of it?
Thanks
I had and sold it as it is simply unworkable for me. I know folks love it, but I simply cannot use this for the kind of audiences I entertain.

Cheers

Dr Todd
I got it and I really like it - it is explained on a lecture DVD but if you get the package on its own, you can perform right away (no DVD though)

you could use any dictionary for it really but the one you get with it is nice as it is so small

in the quest to have multiple ways to present types of effects I like, I'm glad I have this - I can see it might not work for you in every environment but there are plenty where you can use it,

I use this with Andy Nyman's warlock using the same dictionary and it's nice
Have a hunt around for a small book on palmistry - then it all works well, and seems far more logical (to me anyways)..
I was unable to use it as well, just wasn't for me. That's not to say its no good I just couldn't fit it on with the other books I perform with. It's simple to do and with proper presentation, can get great reactions.

Darren
It's much better one on one or with small groups. You want your specs to be concentrating on finding their words, not watching you. Works well under the right circumstances.
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 09:01, IAIN wrote:
Have a hunt around for a small book on palmistry - then it all works well, and seems far more logical (to me anyways)..
[/quote]

Nice
All performers should pay attention to their diction.

:eek:
[quote]
On 2012-12-15 13:14, aligator wrote:
It's much better one on one or with small groups. You want your specs to be concentrating on finding their words, not watching you. Works well under the right circumstances.
[/quote]

what do you mean not watching me (the performer)? there is nothing to see, they can watch me all they want
Can someone please clarify if this effect can be done surrounded (ie., walkaround) whether or not the spectator's attention needs to be controlled "away" from the performer during the effect?
Also , which lecture DVD is this effect shown/explained on?

Jonathan
http://kranzomagic.myshopify.com/products/nathan-kranzos-comedy-magic-and-mentalism-lecture

Seems I found the link to purchase the DVD lecture that "should" include the Diction effect. :)

Still interested to know if Diction can be performed easily as walkaround mentalism or if the audience needs to be managed NOT to watch the performer during a specific phase of the routine.

Jonathan
Yes it can be performed walk around and surrounded but in my opinion, there are better options.

Darren
Other options... such as ______________ ?
Glance, booked, reflections. You need extremely good eyesight for diction.

Mark
Until you have the crib committed to memory, you would not want to do it completely surrounded. No one should be directly behind you who could see what you are writing, and writing on.

George
Bought it at Nathan's lecture - not my cup o Joe.

Glance is best for me now.
Not sure I agree with all above, you could do this surrounded easily as written (if you say the performer will need good eyesight then the specs will need super eyesight to catch you)
use your head if you want to perform it, not that hard

there are other great options but this is so simple and easy and you also have a legitimate dictionary ready to go for some other effects
The lecture is good, but I'm glad I have the diction package for a good condition dictionary (easy to buy others) with specific gimmicks

Remember too, you don't need to perform everything exactly as written

people can look exactly at what I am writing when I do this, nothing to hide at all, the work is done elsewhere
Agree with Adam for the most part.

Yes, I like Glance better but nothing wrong with Diction although I do like it more as a one on one or two than as part of a larger show.
I was paying attention to my diction once and realized my shoes were untied.
John: Were you in the little room named after when you noticed?
John:

I came back into the thread and realized that, not only did I leave a word out, but my line was an inferior attempt at humor, and could be interpreted as insulting to you.

I was amused by your line; I apologize for my garbled and weak spontaneous response.

George
[quote]
On 2013-04-21 21:41, George Hunter wrote:
John:

I came back into the thread and realized that, not only did I leave a word out, but my line was an inferior attempt at humor, and could be interpreted as insulting to you.

I was amused by your line; I apologize for my garbled and weak spontaneous response.

George
[/quote]

Don't worry George about insulting me, I'm fairly capable of doing that myself. ;)

j