(Close Window)
Topic: Why do you guyn s like Mentalism ???
Hey guys,

I always want to ask this question to every mentalists ! " Why do you guys like to do, fall in love with Mentalism ?"
Answer to my question guys ;)

Kenny
A mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I got into it after watching Docc Hilford perform live, I had been into magic for quite some time and I thought I knew alot, I carried tons of props and some big illusions. Then I saw Docc come in with a small briefcase, some paper, and a pencil. And he blew me completely away for 3 hours. So I said, I wanna be just like that! lol, it also didn't help that right after that I saw Richard Osterlind, the rest is history.
Mental magic was always well-received when I performed and eventually I had to try a completely mental show. I loved T.A. Waters' M,M&M early on, though I couldn't afford to keep the necessary monkey. I purchased Becker's Final Flashback and the reaction was very strong. I remembered that Ken Weber wrote how the stronger the effect, the less need for a gripping presentation, though you should always strive for both. The telepathic effects were so good and the character of a mentalist so unique to my area, I knew I could carve a niche for myself and do a show worthy of applause. Luke Jermay and Derren Brown gave me a vision for straightforward, seemingly propless thoughtreading. What Ulises said above about carrying a show in a briefcase was very attractive to me. I preferred to perform for adults and loved the virtual end to questions like, "Can you do my child's birthday party?" Those same people now ask, "Can you do my spouse's birthday party?" Yes, I can, and I'll do things you will remember for the rest of your life.
I got into it with magic as a segway. It relates very well in fascinating ways to a number of my other interests.
Isn't a segway one of those things with wheels that lets you scoot around sidewalks, parking lots and malls? :eek:
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 13:15, mastermindreader wrote:
Isn't a segway one of those things with wheels that lets you scoot around sidewalks, parking lots and malls? :eek:
[/quote]

No, I think that's a Segue(TM).
Thought I had them mixed up! :eek:
This definitely isn't the first time my atrocious spelling has been used to comic effect. :)
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 14:15, DekEl wrote:
This definitely isn't the first time my atrocious spelling has been used to comic effect. :)
[/quote]

Just busting you a bit. It's all in fun. I make misteaks two!
On 2012-12-26 14:59, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]
Just busting you a bit. It's all in fun. I make misteaks two!
[/quote]

Eye Doughn't.
Ewe shore....?
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 17:00, captainsmiffy wrote:
Ewe shore....?
[/quote]

Quiet shore.
Got intwo mentalism to lern how to spel.
Like all of you guys here, I'm a renaissance man, I speak 14 languages, english the goodest!
This thread is going of teh rales.
[quote]
On 2012-12-27 18:45, Gaaargh wrote:
This thread is going of teh rales.
[/quote]

Knot reely
More than anything there's a distinct lack of punk-chew-asian going on
Hi there champ,

The main reason why I love mentalism is because it is all about showmanship, the showmanship aspect of it allows me to create/turn my performances into anything I want. One moment I could be reading your mind, another I could be some FBI agent interrogating you or I am someone who is influencing you! I love how with mentalism we have the freedom to become anyone we wish :)

I hope that makes sense haha, great questions my friend!
What makes you believe we like mentalism?
For me it is because mentalism seems more mysterious than producing silk scarves from a tube.

It seems to me that mentalism has a more personal impact with an audience member.

-Max
[quote]
On 2012-12-28 08:20, Dr Spektor wrote:
What makes you believe we like mentalism?
[/quote]
Because I think just mentalists like this topic " Penny for your thoughts" ;)
I have been doing things all my life that some consider to be paranormal -- at least "other than normal" -- all without a label. Now folks call me a mentalist. Do I like that? Not sure.

I like what a some Mentalists do, and dislike what a lot of them do. For me, when the driving force is getting paid or getting the next booking the entire process becomes corrupted, but the same can be said of Conjury.

I like what performing Mentalism could be, but is not likely to ever be.

Just my view -- not wishing it on anyone else.
I like mentalism because there's nothing better than telling someone how many sponge bunnies they were thinking of.
[quote]
On 2012-12-29 08:02, bevbevvybev wrote:
I like mentalism because there's nothing better than telling someone how many sponge bunnies they were thinking of.
[/quote]

Bahahahahaha! :)
Seems like a lot of magicians are chiming in on this topic. Hmmm...
Are most magicians becoming mentalist
Isn't it an adult area of magic ?
No
Why I like mentalism?

cause I learned nothing, did not win in the lottery, have a lack of personality and think with a few easy tricks I am very important (when people question my-/mentalism-importance I get aggressive).. also it is nice to meet other people like me - so I am not this alone..
This entire thing sounds like a trolling question (and replies) to me.
I've been wondering by this question a few years ago.... until I found the perfect reason on Banacheck book:

Theodore Anneman once said: "Mentalism is the grown up form of magic"

When we go to magic show, we see art. Its a fiction and we know it. The deception is momentary. We know that slinky woman-who seemed to change into a tiger, will be taking a taxi home later and tucking in her human kids after the show. We may be fooled by the tricks, but we are not harmed by being fooled, because we know we're watching make believe.

But when we view a mentalist, we are sometimes left wondering whether we have viewed a show or science lesson. Many mentalist, doubting their ability to entertain as illusionist, dress their entertainment in quasi-scientific robes, suggesting that "if you are concentrated on developing your natural abilities as I have, you too could do these wonders." They hint that they illusion just MIGHT BE REAL.
I agree with you, Miraclemakers, but only when it is done well. I see a lot of people perform 'mentalism' but they are really performing mental magic and I think there is a difference. Hard to define tightly though - I think a lot of it is in the scripting.
Then there is the demonstration of abilities considered "other than normal" by most -- changing views of the impossible that can last a lifetime. What do you call that? Real- not "might be real."

If you are pretending at having special mental abilities as a Mentalist -- then what is it you are pretending at? A mentalism performance for entertainment can leave a "hint of real" because each spectator has some personal experience with an inexplicable phenomenon in "real" life. Additionally, they wish to believe that they are capable of more than being limited by a boring and externally directed life.

trouble is that doing the real thing doesn't pay very well, while faking it seems to provide a living.
I did a show last week for a room full of magicians and their families (Christmas party). After my standard opener, I introduced myself with “I am a Mentalist. Some folks think that’s like a magician, but whereas a magician may pull a rabbit out of his hat, I’m going to pull a thought out of your mind”. (NOTE: I would never use that line for a non-magical audience!)

But it set a good tone for this group. Instead of trick after trick after trick in rapid succession, I did six effects, which actually took more than my allotted half hour (don’t like to do that, but…I was the closer, anyway…)

Even knowing that I’m a member of a magic club, I still got people coming up and asking me personal questions about what I could and could not “see”. I’ve often bragged about fooling magicians with a Svengali deck, but this was a first for me in mentalism.

It truly is a different realm, and magicians “coming over” often just do not “get it” until they’ve literally thrown away the magicians mindset (not an easy thing to do) and realize that “it’s all in the mind”. There was NO/zero/nada “suspension of disbelief”; these were all magicians, they all had at least an idea of what I was doing, and THEY STILL BELIEVED!

Why do I like mentalism? For the same reason I like to keep doing Santa magic. For that particular audience, at that particular time, it was the perfect fit. Children WANT to believe in magic; grown-ups WANT to believe in “something more”. (Even the ones who say they don’t!)
I love coin magic more thrn mentalism
You pass coins from hand to hand and
people know that the last one is the hardest.
They feel a lot of emotions. They work with
their brains and use good memories from
the past about the first kiss.
They can tell the diffrence between a good
Tenkai palm and the Goshman pinch.
They feel that I am touching their heats
When I do coins through the table
(The last one is the hardest one)

I love mentalism because most if the magians
do it it the most boring way they can.
And this is because its not about you its about them.
Its not about moves its about people
Its not about fooling people
Its about real magic

Lior
Having performed both magic and mentalism, I think there are lots of things going for both art forms. I believe, perhaps controversially, that magicians who seek to become mentalists must, if anything, INCREASE their skill and sleight of hand ability.

This is because the slightest hint that you are doing anything suspicious will not be forgiven, while in magic they will forgive it more readily as they 'know it's all an illusion anyway'.

Leaving them wondering about your abilities depends on not even giving them an inkling about methodology, as with so much mentalism the methodology is bold and simple and this frightens the magician in us, but not the mentalist!
IMHO:

1) Mentalism is PERSONAL and can have a longer lasting impression

2) Everyone has entertained the thought or wished they could read minds, see into the future, etc

3) It's much more scientific sounding and much more relevant in today's high-tech world.

4) Simon Baker anyone? The Public is gaining more interest in mentalism more so then magic ( thank you Criss Angel for ruining the good classy image of magicians)

5)In my experience, people tend to respond to it better

6)Mentalism, when you practiced for a good while becomes applicable in the real world.

7) It's much more seemingly practical then producing rabbits and silks. A color changing silk routine is nice, but how will that benefit someone?

8) If you make a mistake in mentalism, it doesn't hurt you ( it actually adds credibility).

9) keeping #8 in mind, there are too many BAD magicians. Sure they mean well, but they simply don't have it in them to do the art any justice.

10) If you are like me and don't care too much for children shows, Mentalism is the key to getting in and hanging out with the adolescents and adults.

11) The tools, super portable, inexpensive and easily replaceable... Though it is important to remember, the grey meat between your ears is all you really need. Very low TSA/Homeland Security intimidation is a bonus with mentalism.
I think that point 1 is paramount, IBM_usa. I couldn't agree more - we need to feel touched by a performance of ANYTHING to be really moved by it, and this is easier to achieve with mentalism than with magic. There are some notable exceptions of course - Copperfield flying, Eugene Burger's stuff, and other bits that come to mind from TV magic over the years.

Not so sure about the tools being inexpensive though - some of the e*******ic gadgetry and w*****s out there seems exorbitant to me! B*****s, NWs, p**ks, I***xes and envelopes do the job just fine though, I agree!
Nice stories guys ;D I like Mentalism because Roy Zaltsman has performed for me a very nice mentalism trick and I suddenly fell in love with mentalism :angel: He encourages, supports me to learn Mentalism ;) He recommended me lots of good mentalists to check and see like Richard Osterlind, Banachek, Bob Cassidy, John Riggs,... With me, Roy is my mentor and a friend in Mentalism :coolest:
A Mentalist in more entertaining for the spectator, because reading *their* mind is more about them than finding a card they selected at random. They have no personal connection to the card. The thought is personal, so the effect of "finding the selected thought in the deck of their mind" is more fun for me.
@ Andrew_ Jeffrey
You don't really need any gimmicks such as the B***, NWs.
Richard Osterlind does a routine in one of his DVD's where he accomplishes the same effect, with.... A PENCIL!!
I like the idea of NWs, B***, etc but you don't really need them. A regular pencil will do just the job.

Cold-Reading is a bonus. You don't need anything other then basic knowledge of Universal living experiences.
One of the things I like about mentalism is...

You don't have the feeling of being self-conscious of what you are doing. You just do it.

Very little complicated sleights in mentalism.
I love sleight of hand magic, cups and balls, chop cup, etc... However over the years I have started to realize that I am losing some of that dexterity and my motions aren't as smooth as they once were ( could be over-practice or... that self-conscious feeling I mentioned earlier).
My Cups and balls routine is still a hit, but I notice that the sleights are sometimes a little sloppy... Luckily no one else besides me notices that.

But like I said, I am moving more towards mentalism.
My family has had several members with arthritis... Completely losing dexterity has always been a concern for me in the back of my mind.
I don't have any sign of developing it, yet.
But I am prepared if that does become a reality.... Mentalism, I love thee!
I became a mentalist, because I'm a lazy person and I was fed up with carrying tons of props with me. ;)
Here's an angry version of what was already said: no matter how much art(!) and theater(!) you cram into a magic act, the audience knows that it is still a trick. And no justification, or explanation of "how it works" will change the back-of-their-minds feeling that is it still a trick.

However, mentalism "might" just be real, and, as such, causes a different thought process to occur in the viewer. And this is the reason for repeat bookings!

Lee
[quote]
On 2013-01-01 15:04, Andrew_Jeffrey wrote:
Having performed both magic and mentalism, I think there are lots of things going for both art forms. I believe, perhaps controversially, that magicians who seek to become mentalists must, if anything, INCREASE their skill and sleight of hand ability.

This is because the slightest hint that you are doing anything suspicious will not be forgiven, while in magic they will forgive it more readily as they 'know it's all an illusion anyway'.
[/quote]

I agree completely. The mentalist's sleight of hand skills are on a level with those of a professional card cheat. There aren't many essential moves to learn, but they must be done flawlessly, invisibly, and under the gun. (Parenthetically, that's why I think that Erdnase is essential reading for mentalists- not for the card moves, but for the psychology of cheating under fire.)

Too many people, I think, get into mentalism because they think it's all self-working stuff. That may be true of a lot of the commercially available material out there, but when it comes down to the real ART of mentalism, it's all about skill, psychology, logical disconnects, showmanship, audacity and pure nerve.

Nothing simple about it at all.

Good thoughts,

Bob
It's a very big question. Why mentalism?

In three words: "Because it's beautiful." Three more: "Because it's elegant." And only a few more: "Because it touches people on a deep personal level and creates a bond between performer and audience that is both beautiful and elegant. The presentation of mentalism becomes something more than a show. It's a journey you take WITH your audience."

When an effect is complete and the audience is utterly silent -- that's bigger than a standing ovation to me -- more satisfying than anything else I've felt in any performance. It means the audience has just seen something that breathes wonder into their lives.

To be the conduit through which that wonder flows? It's a near breathless honor.

I've developed more as a performer doing mentalism than I did in many more years of performing magic. And those who know me know I'm not dissing magic. Not at all. I'm simply saying that for me, the first time I discovered the 13 Steps left me profoundly and happily smitten. It was the performer's version of finally finding a home.

David
David-

I think your previous experience in stand-up comedy was very valuable in making your transition to mentalism. I knew you were a "real" performer when I first met you and, I have to say, I'm very proud of how far you have come in mentalism. Thank you for carrying on the best traditions of our art.

Good thoughts,

Bob
It was very kind of you to write that, Bob.

I appreciate your words (and you) very much. Thank you.

David
[quote]
On 2013-01-29 16:05, espmagic wrote:
...no matter how much art(!) and theater(!) you cram into a magic act, the audience knows that it is still a trick. And no justification, or explanation of "how it works" will change the back-of-their-minds feeling that is it still a trick.

However, mentalism "might" just be real, and, as such, causes a different thought process to occur in the viewer. And this is the reason for repeat bookings!

Lee
[/quote]

Precisely! Ya know, after seeing some of my most treasured effects exposed on YouTube, and The Masked .Douchebag, I almost gave up Magic for good. Then I discovered Outlaw Effect's "L*n@". This has not only changed my whole outlook on Magic, it has affected my FAMILY! They used to chuckle as I changed the color of silks and made them vanish, did coin tricks and packet tricks with cards.

Now, I have been lectured ad nauseum about being "psychic" and scaring the beJEEPERS out of my older sisters. They were truly bothered by my L*n@ performance. One of my sisters...ha! Her husband thinks I'm POSSESSED! ROFL...no WAY could I have done that with coins, cards and silks. :)

Doug
Because I connect more to my brain and the thoughts that flow from my mine to yours and back again, than I do to the super neat straw that you just poked through that water bottle without making a hole.