(Close Window)
Topic: Scotty York passed away
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Dec 28, 2012 08:40PM)
For those of you who haven't heard the news, Bill Wells reported that Scotty York passed away today after being transferred to hospice. he was a legend in the field of close up magic, and his booklets, Scotty York On Coins, were a joy to read. I had the pleasure of meeting Scotty for the first time at our New York Coin Magic Seminars. He was very eager to share his knowledge with the guests, and everyone who spent time with him was touched by his friendly and humble demeanor. He will be missed.
So sorry to hear of this Doc. I have always enjoyed the magic of Scotty York, always so dynamic and interactive. He was just a wonderful bar magician and closeup man. Loved his work and masterfulness of his audiences. Much respect. RIP.

-Mb
Scotty had such a creative mind.
This is very sad news.

I remember the first time I met Scotty.I was 19 maybe 20 at the time, He had set up a small table in Al's magic shop in DC. He was selling his items, I picked up his set of card for the Poor Charlie routine. They were $30. Al's said $30 bucks! and no instructions??? Scotty said well I'm sure he has my book...lol

He'll be missed for sure.
Yea My best to his Family ! R.I.P. Scotty! :(
Rest in Peace !
Sorry to hear this.
R.I.P. Scotty.
Sad loss for the magic community for sure.
todd
So sad. I was fortunate to spend time with him when I lived in the D.C. area and he worked at Casey's doing magic, and he was always very nice. Condolences to his family and peace to all.
Rest in Peace Scotty! Thanks for the Magic!
Sad. Thanks for letting us know, Doc.
Wow, One of the greats, R.I.P.
Scotty was one iof my heros this is so sad,
rest in peace Scotty
Sad news. I learned a lot from Scott York: he was truely a creative genius.
It's always sad to hear that someone who contribute to our art, won't be there anymore... RIP Mister York!
Very sad to hear of any of our fraternity passing over to the other side.

I wish his family well at what is unquestionably a very sad time for them.

Not sure about Scotty resting in peace though - not once Ken Brooke meets him!

Ken will have him performing non-stop, with his original spin on coins, and the cups & balls. Although Ken didn't carry many books, Scotty's booklets on these subjects were always sold by Ken - he raved over their content. He also used to dem The Chinese Bit, using Scotty's routine with the little tin of mints.

Clearly, here was a guy with quite an innovative imagination, with ideas gleaned from countless performances that bought many smiles to people's faces. I'm sure that how he'd like to be remembered most is by us continuing to use his magic, so that it lives on in his memory.
R.I.P. Scotty :/
Condolences to his family and friends.
For those of you in the Washington, D.C. area or who wish to attend:

There will be a Scotty York Memorial Service

on Saturday, January 26

It will be from 3 to 6 pm at the:

Old Hickory Golf Club
11921 Chanceford Drive
Woodbridge, Virginia 22192

This is the golf club where Scotty spend much of his time during his last few years enjoying his second passion - golf. His family welcome all of you to celebrate Scotty's life and to remember the good times with him.

Bill
I won't be able to make it there but I'm Keeping Scott York alive by presenting, the way he was doing it, Chink A Chink and every Matrix effects (even the one I learned from Armando Lucero), in Diamond Formation rather than the Square formation, making sure that whatever travels ends up on the spectator's side. This infers that magic is generous as Scott has always been with his ideas.

Scott, have fun with the Hofzinser, Robert Houdin, Nate Leipzig, Sam Leo Horowitz, Dai Vernon, Charlie Miller, Al Baker and some others wherever you end up... You have at least one eternity to devote your spirit to improving magic to perfection and another one to find how to let it sink in human imaginations. Thanks for what you alreasdy did during your too brief passing through our restricted time.
Scotty York is a true legend who has certainly influenced my work as a magician, as well as countless other magicians out there. Some of his work and some of his dealer items have long since become classics. He will not be forgotten and will be sorely missed!

Thanks for sharing the information.
I loved his bar magic videos. I remember watching him at a time when I thought, "Palming cards? Man, that's crazy!"

Let me recommend Scotty's Simple Side Steal. I learned it from the video tapes (How old am I?), and it's a staple of my performances. It's a great, sadly neglected move.
Scotty York was great. Now would be a good time to go back over his work--DVDs and pamphlets. He also put out a book, I believe, titled something "eyes only"--I can't quite remember the title.

Who knows how old he was?
R.I.P. SCOTTY YORK you will be missed.
Who remembers these tapes? So good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9fK4Mpueyo
I looked on the internet, but could not find out when he was born.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jan 6, 2013 09:08AM)
Born August 10, 1937
Thanks.
No, is impossible ... Mr. York ... a legend ... R.I.P. ...
I'm not sure have I missed this thread when it was first posted, but I read about this on another social networking site at the time. Seeing it again, I am saddened of Scotty's passing. He was truly an inspiration to me with his magic as well as his presentational style. I was fortunate to have spent time with him at a few of the NY Coin Magic Seminars a couple of years ago. I have treasured those moments ever since.

Scotty will certainly be missed.
Scotty taught me some valuable tips on the retention vanish and elmsley count. Great magician, great guy.
R.I.P.---Sad sad news