(Close Window)
Topic: Blast from the Past - Mb's Short Pockets
It's been a while but I happened back across what has become now an oldie-but-goodie for me. :) It's the first package I ever shared with the magic community and y'know, I still think it's the best package of effects I ever put out. Why? Well, because it sorta led me to everything else I've come to do. Each of the 5 effects included continued to grow for me and showed me the way as to things.

That "MB Transpo" grew into one of my most favorite effects when it later morphed into "ReVisiTed", which believe it or not I did today in a crowded barbershop for a kid in the chair that the barbers said never smiles. Well, after I hit him with the MB Transpo and finished it up with a little something I do called the Ringa-Dinga, ;) well let's say that the kid has some really pretty teeth, :D seen through the biggest smile that barbershop has ever seen from him. :) His dad said he would put me on speed dial. :D

I remember when I first put Short Pockets together...The video wasn't the best quality but I gave it my best try from my computer and dinky camcorder, tried to put it together the best I could and tied it in as neat a bow as I could and put it out there on Vinny's site - Thanks Vin. ;), Surprisingly, people really liked it and so I began and here I am still enjoying a journey that really started when I was a kid. :) I've really loved sharing it, that's the greatest magic of it all really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=aWEfClQV_94

Man, I still love this. It still blows me away to watch it. :) I guess it could've been done better with greater production, etc., but for what it was then, I still love it and think it's still pretty good now. :) Thank you all for loving it too. Still and always exclusively available at Vinny's website -- http://www.VinnyMarini.com
Great stuff Mb. Thanks for sharing.
Jay
As then as is now.your magic is powerful
hard hitting stuff my friend.
todd
And you'll never let anyone forget you're selling...
Not really, much more so to mention the wonderful venue Vinny afforded me to show what I could do on his website. A place where there's loads of wonderful magic, that included the wonderful work from some other upstarts you might've heard of now, like Tim Feher, Mano Tejeda, Eric Jones, Rannie Raymundo, Radek Makar, Bill Perkins and of course The Godfather himself. :) And yeah, we all have sold our work and always at a low cost, some of us still do it that way so that more folks can immediately through downloads afford good magic. So yeah, no shame in my game, and the magic speaks for itself, that I hear from a worldwide audience more so than not. So, how about you, what have you done for others or shared with the craft here? I'm just sayin'. :)
"Mule Henderson," huh??? Yeah, RIGHT! :D

Anyway, thanks for all the fine comments. That is to have in some small way to have succeeded through giving and helping others. I'm happy and very proud of that. :)
Marion no matter how old you think this is it is still real world magic up close and in your face practally angle free.. doesn't get any better IMHO
vinny
[quote]
On 2013-01-05 21:27, Mb217 wrote:
Not really, much more so to mention the wonderful venue Vinny afforded me to show what I could do on his website. A place where there's loads of wonderful magic, that included the wonderful work from some other upstarts you might've heard of now, like Tim Feher, Mano Tejeda, Eric Jones, Rannie Raymundo, Radek Makar, Bill Perkins and of course The Godfather himself. :) And yeah, we all have sold our work and always at a low cost, some of us still do it that way so that more folks can immediately through downloads afford good magic. So yeah, no shame in my game, and the magic speaks for itself, that I hear from a worldwide audience more so than not. So, how about you, what have you done for others or shared with the craft here? I'm just sayin'. :)
"Mule Henderson," huh??? Yeah, RIGHT! :D

Anyway, thanks for all the fine comments. That is to have in some small way to have succeeded through giving and helping others. I'm happy and very proud of that. :)
[/quote]

If you'd like to actually keep tally.:), I think I've offered many people some good advice.:). It's all out there for you to see Marion.:). I'm just sayin'. :)
Well, then let the "many people" tell you (and us all) how good all your advice is and stop telling yourself. ;) Let the proof be in the pudding if it's as good as you say. Advice ain't all that magical but at least it's something, if truly meant in earnest and provides someone a better way. Anyway, so what did you think of Short Pockets? :)
Honestly, I bought it right when you put it out back then. I've got nothing bad to say, no matter how you react to me. I thought it was solid, but over the years I just see how you've stretched out one little move and keep pointing back to it. :) You've definitely put the work into it, don't get me wrong. :)But why not put all this work together and make a real product? You come across as a lucky hobbyist :) who got the chance to put out a video and make some money, then you keep advertising your videos in 95% of your posts.

Why not move on? Or can you? ;)
[quote]
On 2013-01-05 22:02, Mule Henderson wrote:
Honestly, I bought it right when you put it out back then. I've got nothing bad to say, no matter how you react to me. I thought it was solid...
[/quote]

Thank you for your patronage and glad you enjoyed it. That was my goal, for people to appreciate and enjoy it. Lucky me...Thank you. :)
So, you don't like critiques? Thanks for the partial quote and only taking what you want to hear ;) very classy for a "VIP" Wannabe
That was absolutely fantastic Marion….I totally enjoyed it……You truly are entertaining…….Your sleight of hand looks like pure magic!!!!!!

Mickey
Who else can we pull out of the woodwork? :) Mano? Octopussy Sun?
Short Pockets is a great collection of great magic.
It sure is difficult to see where you are coming form, Mule -- but it doesn't seem intended to enhance magic, to teach anything or to inspire others. You words are not "a critique" of anything.

If you really think that the dozens of effects Mb has offered the magic community are simply refinements of one move or approach, then you are missing out on most of what magic has to offer.

The effects in Short Pockets, for example, are building blocks upon which any performer can built his own effects and routines. His gift is inspiration -- backed by the daily performance of his effects in every possible venue.

Each performance fuels more creativity. I can't perform some of his effects because of crippled hands, but direct communication with Marion has allowed my to create effects I can do.

So, Mule -- what effects have your created based on Mb's moves and sleights?

Why do you believe that putting out a video would be "moving on?"

But you are right about one thing -- magic is about selling. Selling yourself. Selling the value of astonishment. Selling hope over depression.

Giving away effects is one form of selling. Charging a fee is another. Inspiring others is another form. Putting others down is another.

What are you selling?
[quote]
On 2013-01-05 22:37, funsway wrote:
It sure is difficult to see where you are coming form, Mule -- but it doesn't seem intended to enhance magic, to teach anything or to inspire others. You words are not "a critique" of anything.

If you really think that the dozens of effects Mb has offered the magic community are simply refinements of one move or approach, then you are missing out on most of what magic has to offer.

The effects in Short Pockets, for example, are building blocks upon which any performer can built his own effects and routines. His gift is inspiration -- backed by the daily performance of his effects in every possible venue.

Each performance fuels more creativity. I can't perform some of his effects because of crippled hands, but direct communication with Marion has allowed my to create effects I can do.

So, Mule -- what effects have your created based on Mb's moves and sleights?

Why do you believe that putting out a video would be "moving on?"

But you are right about one thing -- magic is about selling. Selling yourself. Selling the value of astonishment. Selling hope over depression.

Giving away effects is one form of selling. Charging a fee is another. Inspiring others is another form. Putting others down is another.

What are you selling?
[/quote]

Thanks for your questions Funsway. I definitely respect your contributions to the forum as a whole. You've got something to offer in just about every thread here, whether it's cards, coins, or mentalism.

What may be off putting are my responses to Marion's attempts at selecting my quotes as he pleases which paints a different picture of me. I was honestly trying to give him a critique on his methods of continually advertising his products in just about every post he makes. And this post seems to be just for the fun of doing so.

I have not given a bad critique of his work. In fact, I have purchased Short Pockets and the first Crimp Change video.

As to your questions:

1. I've come up with a 4 phase C/S routine
2. I did not suggest that making a video would be "moving on" I was suggesting that he should move on from the Crimp to some other ideas! Like Tim Feher for example, a colleague of his.
3. I don't sell anything. I am only offering a different perspective for others to analyze for themselves.
Thanks for the quick response. I'm just confused, I guess ...

on another thread you posted "People don't know your level of experience, so a high post count generally looks like you are experienced; a low post count looks like you are new, therefore inexperienced. From what I've seen though it just might represent the amount of free time some loser has instead of practicing or actually making a little cash using his 'superior' knowledge of magic"

Thus, it would seem you are favor of someone "making a little cash" from sharing his magic ideas -- but here you put Mb down for doing that.

From the first part of this quote it does appear that you are selling the idea that your low count isn't a measure of your worth and experience -- and many of your other posts indicate more than a novice experience with magic.

Why don't you offer you "4 phase C/S routine" to others? Then we can critique its value -- and the value of your opinions as well.
Well, now you're taking things out of their context.

If you read that whole thread I was commenting on people's responses to another individual. I was giving him advice. I was not speaking for myself. That fact being, you can't help what people glean from your Avatar or post count, it's the content within your post. Therefore, the length of time you've been here and the reputation you've built upon providing others with helpful information shows your experience. A high post count plus good reputation equals credibility.

I am in favor of making a little cash from selling ideas. That is the root of my advice to Marion. Why not compile everything into a DVD that is comprehensive on the Crimp Change and his other outlying effects like Grandpas Coins? Because it seems to me that he is continually pointing people towards his products.

As for me putting out my rendition of C/S... That's not my goal. I am but a meager bar worker and happy with what I'm doing. I make money from my magic, that was the point of the other thread; not necessarily putting out videos or DVDs.
Mule, reading your post around the Café, I gather you have had a name change and actually used a different name in the past. If I am off base, I apologize in advance as I could be wrong?
I seriously think so too rizzo.your post on this thread
really seems to totally critisize mb.come on 95% of his post
are to sell his product.i don't think so.and calling him a vip wannabe.
ugh I think he is a vip.check his avatar.mb has help me many times for
a effect I wanted to learn or a sleight I didn't know how to do.and he did
it for nothing.spending his time to make me a video so I could understand
it easier.if I didn't know better I see some jealousness here.im not going to bash
you on this.i think you can see it clearly yourself.but I would say that 95% of
your post causes disruption in a thread.
todd
So....
How have I bashed anyone? I've actually bought Marion's products.

You may want to re-think that. And why do you put random periods throughout your sentences? Hard to read that.
I think you understand perfectly what I said mule.
reread your post you commit on buying his effects.and the
crtizize him when he brings up one of his coin effects.
todd
[quote]
On 2013-01-06 00:39, bowers wrote:
I think you understand perfectly what I said mule.
reread your post you commit on buying his effects.and the
crtizize him when he brings up one of his coin effects.
todd
[/quote]

I honestly don't understand this post or what you are referencing. My apologies. Could you be more specific? I'd be happy to clarify any misunderstandings you may have.
Short pockets was my first of many I have bought through Vinny's site. I hope he continues to advertise his downloads as there are new magicians and hobbiests joining the forum each day who it is brand new to. I also will say that he is not "in it for the money" as he has been very helpful to me through PMs and I would have to believe there are others.
[quote]
On 2013-01-05 22:08, Mule Henderson wrote:
So, you don't like critiques? Thanks for the partial quote and only taking what you want to hear ;) very classy for a "VIP" Wannabe
[/quote]

It's not a critique, it's snide remarks tinged with bitterness. Why should he answer any of your "critiques"? Just because you ask a question on here, doesn't mean someone has to give you an answer. Try talking to someone in real life the way you do on here and see what answer you get.

And by the way, do you seriously think MB is in this for the money? Think before you open your mouth and let the drivel in your head escape ;)
Again I've been misquoted...

Please show me where I've said Marion was "in it for the money"?

It seems like most people here weren't good at word problems in school.

And Sean, this response you've quoted comes after Marion took a snippet of a whole paragraph and didn't address the rest of what I asked him. I think his self titled VIP status shows where his intentions and ego are, even if it's attached to another condescending smilely face. ;)
[quote]
On 2013-01-06 01:57, Mule Henderson wrote:
It seems like most people here weren't good at word problems in school.
[/quote]

There you go again! Why are your driven to make snide and judgmental remarks at all?

You offer an opinion -- that is all anyone here does. Why anyone should give your opinion credence when you start off every post with some attack?

I have read and reviewed you posts (everyone is "out of context" -- that being what an Internet post is).

I try and figure out what your avatar(s) was/were when you were on the Café' previously -- you had to be in order to buy Mb's effects.

Why did you abandon that identity -- why did you assume this new one? Or are you still here under a second identity? Regardless -- you want to be heard!! Got that. No problem, but ...

With every one of your posts I have less respect for your opinions.

An another of your posts (out of context) you referred to "quality" instead of "quantity" in postings. When are you going to begin?
[quote]
On 2013-01-06 01:57, Mule Henderson wrote:
Again I've been misquoted...

Please show me where I've said Marion was "in it for the money"?

[/quote]

Ok, here you go.

[quote]
On 2013-01-05 22:02, Mule Henderson wrote:
...You come across as a lucky hobbyist :) who got the chance to put out a video and make some money, then you keep advertising your videos in 95% of your posts...

[/quote]

You speak to someone like that,then why would you expect an answer? I bet you're a real fun guy to be around. Which armchair do you work from.... I'll try to catch your act next time I'm in town.
Mb has contribute a lot of great coin effects to the magic community, he has share with the rest of us a lot of his knowledge and creations and has help a lot of people along the way.
Who wouldn't want a DVD that's nicely produced with ALL of Marion's short little videos on it? This was my only opinion here.

Sean, I still don't see where I said he was in it for the money. I said he was lucky and he made some money. I am a fan of that. Things like this recieve snide remarks from me because words are being put into my mouth.

Over the years I've gotten a little worn out with Marion's posts. He'll either blatantly post something that he previously put out, like this thread, or he'll make a plug for any other of his videos whenever the opportunity arises. Over time I've come to feel like he can't move on to something else.
Well, Mule -- the solution is simple. Quit reading Mb's posts!

Don't want you to get too weary.
So now you make snide remarks....

I'm beginning to lose repect for you ;)
Please note that I am [b][i]not[/i][/b] complaining about Marion's posts in any way, nor his selling of his magic here. I have purchased most of his downloads and I enjoy his magic immensely.

That said, I kinda wish that Marion would re-shoot his early videos - many of the early ones are a bit rough in quality - and roll them all into a DVD. Though I doubt that will ever happen due to the price difference that would cause. It would be nice, though - an MB Coin Magic DVD!

Thanks!

Jim
MB often promotes other magician's magic here and offers reviews of new dvd's and books that are newly released, and he engages in many discussions. So he pitches his own stuff, why not? If you have something for sale you want people to buy it. I think MB knows how he wants to go about making his magic available, he does it his own way. He's also a really nice person.
Without mentioning names, there are quite a few people who "advertise their wares" in most every post they make (and not just in their signatures) and I have never seen it as a problem. If someone's particular posts are not to your liking, just skip over them. What is to gain by complaining? and by the way, I am recovering (very slowly and painfully from cancer so those who are not offended by a little advertisement, please go to http://www.saveshadowpest.weebly.com read my blog, leave comments and if you can, donate via paypal at the bottom of the home page. New year = new deductibles that I cant afford on my SS. even the small ones help. If you cant or don't want to donate, read the blog and wish me well, That helps me too.
Marion is one of the nicest and most generous guys here on the Café! When I first started doing coin magic as a new jack, Marion was always there to lend a helping hand, when other magicians wouldn't even give me the time of day. I support his decision to promote his products. He has also offered a lot of free advice to newbies (like on how to improve one's Classic Palm, etc.).

Mule, I'll try to see things from your perspective: you had stated that you wished Marion would come out with a DVD of all of his moves. I'd have to agree that that would be a cool thing, to have his treasure trove of goodies in one place, in "stunning HD."

However, your tone in your very first post seemed to be a "snide remark" in of itself. I think you could have stated your case more politely, I'm just saying!
Also, you had stated that you are "worn out" by Marion promoting the same things...well, no need to be "worn out," just don't read anymore of his posts...if anybody should feel "worn out" it would be our friend Poof-Daddy, who at the moment is battling cancer, which brings me to my next point, relax man, it's only a coin trick!

Happy 2013
Evan
Just started working with Marion. In the past two weeks he has given me some great advice on how to solve a coin problem on the Café, and after he found out that I purchased some of his older routines send me for free all of the updated versions. Now if I can just convince him to send me an in depth tutorial of his version of the Quick Pitch...
I have just barely started into some coin magic, just trying to get a feel for it. I have to say that Marion has been helpful in his posts and PM's. I know that when I purchase some coin routines I will look to Marion first. World class looking magic.
Message: Posted by: Strange Tasting Fish Sticks (Jan 7, 2013 08:22PM)
Just an FYI Mule, and I'm putting myself out here, I'm sure you'll critize me, and I hate rejection, but I am standing up for MB.

Marion Boykin aka MB has given me many free effects. A greatly generous man, I showed him my vanish routine, taught him, and he generously shared with me many of his effects, I will always remember that, even when I couldn't actually download the video, he gave me hope because he let me download the PDF. He also taught me his take on the liwag subtley, which I've now mastered and use all the time. Thanks to him, and his generousity and effects, I've mastered more.

I've also created more sleights myself thanks to him. And I can see where you're coming from on his effects advertising, but really, its not a big deal. I'm not bashing you MB, quite the opposite. I see where Mule is coming from, but its no big deal, you don't constantly advertise your products, and even if you did, you deserve to anyway, because your magic is top notch and there's nothing wrong with that. MB, some people just think differently despite what a great person you are and your magic, they view it as nothing but "advertising" and fail to see the real magic, your personality and magic itself. Mule DOES give good advice at times, and it confuses me why he acts like this at times. He has helped me. I'm not trying to excuse his actions here, it was inappropriate. But try and view it from his viewpoint. Dale Carnegie and Zig Zager I believe said, if there's one skill to have , it is "To view something from your perspective as well as someone elses, especially someone you disagree with." You've helped me countless times. Please don't get mad at me.

People have said the same thing to Michael Rubinstein. That he advertises his stuff too much, etc, etc. Its quite frankly bull, he is the one of the nicest, most kind men I know. I have to be honest, I thought that too at times. I really hate to say that I felt that once, but I'll be honest, I did. That is, because I didn't know how good the videos are. Then one day, when I had a severe mental crisis, and attempted suicide and almost died (This was not a plea for attention but a serious problem I have) he helped me out alot, he hand wrote me a note, it made me cry. It came from the heart. I saw how much suddenly this man cared about me, something I didn't see before. And when I see his magic, I appreciate it so much more than I used to, his patter is top notch, his kindness I can see in his eyes when he performs. He is truly a great man. I'm sorry if I came off offending to you being this honest Dr.Rubinstein, but I greatly, greatly respect you, as a person and as a magician. Thank you both so much. I hope you don't take my comments the wrong way, and remain my friend. I would be deveastated if you two got mad at me. I'm sorry.
Message: Posted by: Strange Tasting Fish Sticks (Jan 7, 2013 08:38PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-06 00:20, Mule Henderson wrote:
So....
How have I bashed anyone? I've actually bought Marion's products.

You may want to re-think that. And why do you put random periods throughout your sentences? Hard to read that.
[/quote]

Mule, why do you say something good about someone, and then add something bad right after that? That's not fair. Like the above sentence. You just criticize him about something trivial like his periods, does it really matter? No. Why do you add that? It's not necessary.
Hey Kevin,

I may be guilty of fighting fire with fire and that doesn't help any discussion grow, but that comment on Bowers' writing was honest. It's hard to read his posts. If you want to make a point with absolute clarity, then write it with clarity.

I know the same has been mentioned to you by some and I think it would help you man. You tend to give a lot of info that piles up into one huge paragraph. If you'd hit the return key a couple of times in between your thoughts I think people could stay on track with what you write more easily.

My first comment to Marion in this thread was really meant in jest. I should've tacked on a corny winky eye like he litters through his posts; that way you're never guilty of being mean( a lesson on clarity) ;) .

Unfortunately that started a mudslinging competition and I won't back off when people mis-quote me, or put words in my mouth.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Jan 7, 2013 09:22PM)
Hey Kevin, no need to apologize, I am glad you are doing well! I have stated this before, both in defense of MB, Vinnie, and myself, that in my opinion there is nothing wrong with introducing your magic on this forum. This is a forum about coin magic, and the people here (like MB, Vinnie, myself, others), are proud to show their work here. What is so wrong about offering it to anyone interested at a fair price? As a consumer, the reader can look to buy, or just appreciate the routine. The dvds shown on the Café often showcase material, whether it is available to the consumer or not. On a personal note, I will cite references for the 17 disc NYCMS set because it contains a wealth of information that might be valuable to the person who aks, "Where can I find a coins across routine? What is the best Three fly? What DVD should I start with? What should I do after Bobo? Who has the best copper silver routine, and so on and so forth. You see these posts every day. I always point out where in my group's dvds the material is located, because the people who ask, simply don't know. If you want to call it a plug, so be it. I would prefer that OTHERS refer to the material, but I don't think they do, because they don't know about it.
Most of the people on this Café are hobbiests, who appreciate the references. I don't know what else I can say here, but I think the people who post here are more than generous in sharing their thoughts and experiences, in addition to their material. Have a great evening.
[quote]
On 2013-01-07 15:42, John McLaughlin wrote:
Just started working with Marion. In the past two weeks he has given me some great advice on how to solve a coin problem on the Café, and after he found out that I purchased some of his older routines send me for free all of the updated versions. Now if I can just convince him to send me an in depth tutorial of his version of the Quick Pitch...
[/quote]

John, I sent you a PM.

Jim
I'm so sorry that you have a hard time understanding me.
I will try to write it better for you mule.
and maybe you will also think before you write anything too.

because what you write sounds different to us than how it sounds to you.
your glass always seems to be half full.
todd
The main problem in fourms is that we really don't know what inflections people are typing. I feel this is a perfect example. I don't think Mule meant no disrespect. Honestly.
I think a group hug is in order. :)
Tim
Thye magic Café is a great source for knowledge..I know I have leared much from this site as old as I am.
all I know there are moveres then there are shakers.....
Mule if you are tired of marions work then I probably fall into this same category,
as for dvds the minute one comes out with one 20 minutes later the crooks are downloading it for free and this is a fact.\
my new dvd will do the same for the ones that complain about the work will down load it for free

vinny
Hi Vinny.

Fortunately, the people who download the free, pirated magic DVDs would not have purchased them anyway, so it isn't money lost. The magicians who want your DVD will pay for it. But for the most part, the people who download pirated copies of your DVD are not the ones who would have purchased it. They're just the curious who will watch it because it's free - usually non-magicians with a slight, passing interest in how magic works.

Jim
So... Just read through all of this and I kinda see where Mule is coming from. It looks like he might have pushed a button, but people just went right back and pushed his buttons, but whatever.

MB knows me, I think, maybe by the name Prototyope. I often wondered why he hasn't brought all his ides together into one product, I mean it's a real evolution on an idea. I think it would make a good little DVD, people have done more with less from what I've seen. And as to his character, he even sent me his Grandpas Coins video before he put it out to get my opinion on it, so that was pretty cool.

And... Yay! Tim Feher's back!
You come across as a lucky hobbyist :) who got the chance to put out a video and make some money, then you keep advertising your videos in 95% of your posts.

Why not move on? Or can you? ;)
[/quote]
I FOR ONE AM READY TO MOVE ON.NO HARD FEELINGS FOR SURE.
I WOULD LIKE TO ALSO SEE MB COMBINE HIS EFFECTS TOGEATHER.
THAT WAS NOT THE POINT I WAS ARGUEING.IT WAS THE REMARKS
LIKE THE ONE ABOVE AND OTHERS THAT WAS STATED ALSO IN THIS
THREAD ABOUT MB THAT I DIDN'T LIKE TO HEAR.

MB IS A GREAT FRIEND OF MINE HERE AT THE Café.
AND I WILL TAKE UP FOR HIM AS I SEE FIT.
I WILL NOT COMMIT ON THIS ANYMORE.
MULE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY ITS JUST
THE WAY I AM WHEN I THINK A FRIEND IS NOT BEING JUSTIFIED.
TODD
Ok?
What's up with all the caps?
Just getting my point across how I feel.
lets move on.
Alright...

Let's move on, but I'll try to be more clear (taking my own advice)

I stand by what I said about Marion peddling his videos in 95% of his posts. This sounded negative when I read it back.

What I mean is Marion had a good thing going once... Years ago. He has put out a number of videos that are merely iterations on one move. Why not compile that into a DVD. Instead he references back to those videos that are $10 a piece when they could all be put together as one cohesive thought on a move and it's possibilities.

It's just that he comes across as a salesman for himself or Vinny instead more than offering real helpful advice.

And my very first post to this thread commented on that thought. He never lets us forget he's selling. Why randomly bring back a product with a little back story to have people look at it?
Could have something to do with many new members on the Café and a less than wonderful search engine.

Why does Comcast keep advertising its bundled services? Everyone knows about it and it isn't new and isn't any cheaper.

The willingness to "offer real helpful advice" and selling magic effects are two different things. People do not buy an effect in order to get "advice."

Some, like myself, buy an effect from Mb or Vinny or others just to show appreciation for their creativity -- to "fuel the creative process."

also, by touting one "proven" effect a new reader might be taken to the Godfather's site and find a different effect more to their liking.

For many people, if they don't pay something for a product it has no value. Selling isn't always about the money -- just a way of keeping score.

I do occasionally sell an effect or magic book instead of giving them away. The quality of feedback from sales is better than that from freebies,
but I use the money to purchase effects from other magicians in appreciation. Many effects I cannot perform (most of Mb's and Vinny's) but buy them anyway.

Mb and Vinny and Tim got me back into performing coin magic despite my crippled hands. Sure glad they are out there selling!
The Café, is not short on giving folks.

Harris
a bit short on height, said Nigel the puppet that rocks and talks
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 23:07, Mule Henderson wrote:

It's just that he comes across as a salesman for himself or Vinny instead more than offering real helpful advice.

[/quote]

Marion is always helping people and giving advice, often via PM. In fact he gives more help and advice to the people on this forum than almost anyone else I know. You've only been a member here for 8 weeks and I don't see much advice coming from your direction, just a lot of complaining.

You ask questions and expect answers so let's see if it works both ways as I have a question for you. What was your previous username on the Café and why did you create a new identity?
Your silly :P
Alright guys, let me come clean...

This is Sean Giles, I actually have another identity I've made up, "Mule Henderson" that I use to amuse myself.
Your silly:-P
[quote]
On 2013-01-09 16:29, Mule Henderson wrote:
Your silly:-P
[/quote]

Wasn't you dishing out advice on grammer recently? Ironic :)
I hope that was an attempt at sarcasm...

"Weren't you dishing out advice..." and you actually spelled grammar incorrectly.

Mouth...

Meet foot
C'mon guys...lets play nice!
Sean just seems like one of those guys pushing buttons, like I mentioned before.
[quote]
On 2013-01-09 22:15, Rick Holcombe wrote:
I hope that was an attempt at sarcasm...

"Weren't you dishing out advice..." and you actually spelled grammar incorrectly.

Mouth...

Meet foot
[/quote]

Nope. never once given advice or complained about someones grammer...
[quote]
On 2013-01-10 00:12, Rick Holcombe wrote:
Sean just seems like one of those guys pushing buttons, like I mentioned before.
[/quote]

And actually I'm just tired of all these armchair 'magicians' who can't do, ripping into those that can and do. It's gets old real quick, especially when it's a friend.