(Close Window)
Topic: Tossed Out Book Test - Chris Philpott
Hi,

I recently acquired the "Tossed Out Book Test" by Christ Philpott, and after receiving it I have decided to write a short review. First, here's the link to this item:
http://www.magicaonline.com/tossed_out_book_test.htm

Now my short review. I love book tests and I don't think I've ever done a show without some sort of book test. Typically I am using a blend of methods (MOAB + Flashback + some others, depending on performing situation.) So I was interested to see if the TOBT was something practical for me to use, and secondarily, was it something good enough to replace or compliment my existing book test routine.

I am happy to report, that the TOBT is a stunner. Again, I was somewhat skeptical but this thing appears to be a worker. I will be absolutely adding this to my show and, at least for me, an effect has to be pretty d*mn good to replace one of my existing slots in my show.

The basic effect is this:

Five classics of literature - War of the Worlds, Frankenstein, Peter Pan, The Hound of the Baskervilles and Heart of Darkness are tossed out to the audience. They are invited to examine them carefully, even flip to their favorite passages. Then, they are asked to choose a page at random, read a word, and remember it. You ask them to sit down if you say their word. You say five words - and four people sit. You turn to the last person standing, concentrate for a moment -- and then without a question, tell them their word.

This IS actually what happens. (Well there is a slight variation of what might happen, but I cannot get into this without exposing the method. For me this is NOT a problem whatsoever.)

Here's what I liked about the TOBT:

1) Most book tests have one person, one book (usually unknown) and one word... while this has five people, five well-known books = More Involvement and "PLAYS BIGGER"

2) A mentalist routine is often a series of "you think of something and I'll tell you what it is..." effects. With TOBT, it takes that basic pattern and kicks it up a notch. You don't have to tell your audience that it's harder to read five minds at once than to read one mind - they get it - it's impressive. Chris emailed me and said that he recently saw Michael Rangel do it at the Magic Castle and there were gasps when people sat down.

3) It is also unusually clean for a book test: no unusual process, no handling, no fishing. Not that I mind any of these things, it is just that this is a straight up "pure" direct mind-reading effect.

4) The instructions are very well written and explained. Comes with 32 page booklet.

5) The books themselves are not suspicious, and in fact they are all "classics" so I think that reduces suspicion even more (in theory:)

The only downside I can see is this: If you are doing repeat performances, the revelations will NOT vary. However I do not do theaters for say a two week run, so for me, this is NOT a problem whatsoever. If you ever get a Broadway run, however, this may present a challenge. I personally tend to do mostly "one off" performances. Also, this would alos be an issue when doing David Hoy's Tossed Out Deck, and that certainly hasn't seemed to have stopped people from performing that classic.

I don't see the TOBT being discussed much and I just wanted to bring this to the attention of the loyal Magic Café-ers!

For what it's worth -
Ben

P.S. Kindly don't direct PM's my way with regards to the TOBT - I am slammed this week. If you have a question or concern, I'd suggest just hitting up Chris. He is active here on the Café and is one of the "good guys" of mentalism and always seems willing to help. Enjoy.

PPS: I am getting absolutely NO compensation for posting this. I told Chris I was going to post a review after I saw how effective his TOBT was... just in case you were curious! :)
Hey Ben --

Thanks so much for posting such an insightful, thoughtful review. I appreciate the time you spent on this! I hope you enjoy the effect!

I have some thoughts on the repetition limitation. The Ran Pink variation and the "Tossed Out Max" version (based on Max Maven's wonderful "Tossed Out Tech" -- used with permission), both help a lot with this. And for anyone who has bought the effect, make sure you register it -- that way I can forward you new ideas on the effect as they come up (there are some coming next month) and so you can replace any book that's lost or damaged. One of the nice things about a clean, straightforward effect like this is that it opens itself up to a lot of variations and everyone I've spoken to who has done it has new ideas for it!

Thanks, again!

-Chris
Chris,

I forgot about the Ran Pink variation - thanks for reminding me! BTW, Chris also gave me a GREAT way to use TOBT with MOAB when I PM'd him about this :) If you buy the TOBT make sure to ask him about this. I hope people don't obsess over the "limitation", as just about every mentalism effect (accept for a Q & A) has similar "limitations", eg. anything that you force. I was just mentioning it but it is not stopping me from using it in all my shows moving forward. This effect is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Again, I get nothing for saying this - I just want to hook up Chris because this effect deserves it and more people need to take notice of its potential IMO.

For what it's worth -

Ben
Hardback or soft?
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Jan 10, 2013 09:10AM)
From the video it's softback - thanks god. Tossing a hardback among the audience could be quite dangerous!? I don't intend to get the set, I'm using magazine tests, but I very much like the idea.
I NEVER toss books... but I will use the soft cover books once they are here. BTW, I got them quite cheap (sorry Chris, I find it too cheap anyway...) through Devin Knight, but the action is over now (lucky me). Jan
That sounds like a lot of books to carry around - effect sounds good though.
I saw Jheff perform this at MindVention. I enjoyed it. But here's the thing: the effect is predicated on the notion that if "one is good, five will be better." From a purely PERSONAL standpoint (ie: just expressing my opinion)I don't necessarily agree.

It's not that I don't like book tests. On the contrary -- MOABT is one of my all-time favorites to perform. I get a solid seven minutes out of it...and it looks like I'm really working to get the word. There's comedic byplay, there's an opportunity to interact with ONE volunteer instead of five -- which allows for a more intimate experience...a more focused presentation.

Watching Jheff name four words and then finally, after some byplay, a fifth felt more like "showing off mentalism" to me. It's more in the vein if "look what I can do" as opposed to a routine that says "look at what WE can do." It looked more like a magic trick. And this isn't to diss Jheff's performance OR the prop. Not at all.

And what's the REASON for five books? If you can pluck a word out of one book does that make you five times more talented if you can do five? Five actually feels more "suspect" to me -- because you're drawing attention to the books simply because there are so many of them. (If you want to do scattergun mentalism -- what's wrong with the traditional TOD or even something a little more off the standard grid like Roy Zaltzman's Lottery Winner?)

I think this is a very clever prop and will be an amazing effect in the right hands. Mine just aren't the right hands for it, I guess. I'll stick with MOABT for now. And Glance. And Luna 1935. (Not all at once, though. :) )

David
I would love to see a performance clip of this.
I agree about the demo. I told Chris he needs to film this in action so more people can see this effect.

The strength of the TOBT is, well, it can involve numerous people in a visual display and have them all sit down as a result of you reading their minds. In other words, if you have always like the tosed out deck, eg. several people stand, and mentally think of a card, and then they all sit after you divine them - boom, boom, boom, boom! - well that is how the TOBT should be presented in my unhumble opinion. Don't think about this like an experienced mentalist (because we know "too much" that we can be blind to the impact of simple, focused plots)- instead think about what this looks like from the "layman's" perspective. It will fry their minds. Just my opinion of course.

- Ben
Hey guys --

Thanks for all the interest and insights! Yes, the books are soft-cover -- and yes you can see them in the video (at http://www.tossedoutbooktest.com ). They weigh about as much as any five softcovers you'd take from your shelf (2 pocket and 3 A5) -- too much for walkaround (this isn't that kind of effect) but not a lot for a big show-piece effect.

Could it seem show-offy? Of course it could -- but I was very careful in the script to avoid that. It wasn't the show-offy aspect of the Tossed out deck that attracted me to the effect -- it was the incredible drama of it. It is one of the most inherently dramatic tricks I've ever seen. And reading five minds at once in a very clean fashion makes for a nice build from most mind-reading effects -- again, far from the only way to dramatically build a routine, but a good one. (I'm a screenwriter by trade and the dramatic impact and arc of magic and mentalism shows is always on my mind).

As far as this being more or less suspicious than other book tests, that's a tricky question. I've found that since the books in TOBT are all well-known and so subtly gimmicked that you can hand them to people who've read the books and invite them to examine them and even flip to their favorite passages goes a long way to lessen suspicion. I think using five books increases the scale and impressiveness of the effect (so many more words!) It certainly improves the pacing substantially.

As for the video, I hear what you're saying -- I usually do like to include some performance in my videos, but I rarely perform for a crowd and so I decided this was the way to go at least for now. Several pretty awesome mentalists have already or will soon be performing this and I hope to get some footage of them doing it.

Again, thanks for all the comments and interest!

-Chris
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Jan 11, 2013 02:39AM)
Thanks for the clarification Chris. I may actually change my mind and get a set once I've seen a real performance.
Hi Chris, will this be carried by UK dealers?
Hey Claudio -- I know it's carried by World Magic shop, The Merchant Shop of Magic, Alakazam and probably other British retailers.

-Chris
Thanks Chris. My order's in.
Thanks, Claudio!

I've been running through the effect with several magicians and mentalists here in L.A. and they've found the time we've spent together really helpful. It occurred to me that there might be other performers who'd like a short session on this (perhaps by Skype), not because the method is difficult (it's not) -- this would just be dealing with presentation (that's where my expertise is: I'm a writer and director). There would be no cost (though that may change in the future).

Let me know, either here or via PM, if you're interested. Thanks!

-Chris
You can also read my semi-regular articles on magic in Magic Magazine (I have a piece on the films of Houdini in the latest issue) or at in my film and magic blog at: http://www.magicaonline.com/film_and_magic_blog.htm . Thanks!
I used the one book version just yesterday in a meeting with a corporate client and it was key in landing me a really groovy magic consultancy gig on a long-term project. It's a bit hush-hush at the moment but I'll share details of why it was so perfect when the project is done.

Brilliant effect!
Thanks, Stuart!

For those who have purchased this and registered, I will be sending out an email in the next day or two with some tips and ideas that have been sent to me from people who have been using the effect (used with permission). Some people have been emailing me their scripting for the effect -- I won't be sharing these personal scripts even though I have to say, some are pretty awesome (special shout-out to Kenton Knepper!)

Also, most websites selling TOBT neglect to mention the effect was named one of the ten best mentalism releases of 2012 (it was released in late December) by Jheff at Marketplace of the Mind (http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/2012best.html who wrote "Frankly, this is really too good to have available commercially so that anyone at any level can do this killer effect... By far, this is my favorite book test released this year." -Jheff)

-Chris
Hey guys --

Just sent out an email update to everyone who registered TOBT with new ideas and routines from people using the effect, including a fair bit on combining MOAB, Glance and/or other book tests with TOBT to create a killer routine with cancelling methods and strong dramatic build. Thanks to all those who wrote me with their suggestions! And if you haven't registered yet, please do and I'll forward you the newsletter and any subsequent ones.

-Chris
Just got a very nice comment from Joel Bauer which he allowed me to share:

“This is very powerful stuff. I’m actually upset with you that you released this – I’d have much rather have spent $20,000 to have kept it off the market for myself and a few other people to use.”

Thanks so much, Joel! It's interesting (and gratifying) to me that I keep getting this comment (Richard Osterlind and Jheff at Marketplace of the Mind said something very similar.)

-Chris
For those interested in a detailed review of TOBT, check out the latest Genii. Here's a taste:

"If you're in need of a top-notch, well-scripted book test presentation, Mr. Philpott's is interactive (even before the ESP moments occur), clever and sophisticated, appealing to those familiar with literature. If you're a book test lover/collector (and I know you're out there), the quality and methodology of TOBT is excellent. If you're a pro mentalist who works for large audiences and wants a book test that plays really big, TOBT fills the bill and has the potential to be your finale."
-Danny Orleans, Genii Magazine.

Thanks, Danny!
Another great review, this time in Magic Magazine:

“Take a page from Chris Philpott’s book and perform his book test. You’ll be glad you did… All of Philpott’s books will withstand extremely close scrutiny, even by well-read audience members who might be familiar with these titles… has the potential to be staggering… It’s hard to imagine anything more direct… The purchaser will not just receive a devilishly gaffed set of books and a few routines to try out, but he will also be getting a useful tool that could spark his own creativity.”

- Jared Brandon Kopf, Magic Magazine.

Thanks, Jared!

-Chris
Hey guys --

I had the pleasure of watching Joe Skilton perform this on Masters of Illusion last night -- he knocked it out of the park! Thanks to Joe for doing such a great job with this!

-Chris
Why is it that the creator seems to consistently be the only one posting to this thread?
I use this as a show closer. In my opinion it's far too powerful to be used as an opening effect in the way that the tossed out deck often is.

This effect can be turned into a real set piece.

Superb book test.
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 00:26, saysold1 wrote:
Why is it that the creator seems to consistently be the only one posting to this thread?
[/quote]

I count 15 other contributions in the thread, including yours, and 11 from Chris Philpott. If you go to his website, you'll see overwhelmingly positive reviews from Osterlind, Maven, etc.

Just sayin' . . .

Cheers,
Jerry
Thanks, Harrison -- glad it's working out for you! I'm hearing from quite a few people that they're using this as a closer.

I don't mean to over-post, but this is one of the few places to make announcements like new reviews (and thanks for pointing out they've been really positive, Jerry). Not sure why the effect hasn't gotten much café commentary...

-Chris
I finally broke down and purchased this. And I am GLAD that I did as this is a SUPERB Book Test. I was very skeptical as I have been burned on many Book Tests. However this Book Test will be used for a very long time and I have been using it as my closer right after my Q&A. It is the effect that my Audience talks a lot about besides the Q&A.

If you do not own this BT I would certainly fork over the cash as it is that good. And no I do not know Chris nor have I ever spoken to him on the Phone, Skype, etc. and I have no vested interest in this book with the exception that "I LOVE IT"

Rod
Thanks, Rod -- I really appreciate it!

-Chris
Does anyone know if there is a video of an actual (even truncated) performance of this? Thanks.
:)
:) :)
:) :) :)
I can only repeat what others in this thread have said... it's an amazing test and easy to work into your act (especially if you're used to doing a book test or two as well as a tossed out deck).

Great work on this, Chris!
Thanks, guys. I've been waiting for Joe Skilton's excellent performance of TOBT on Masters of Illusion to air. One of the cool things about the effect is that because you have five volunteers it makes for a large stage-picture -- but it also makes it tricky to film really well. After seeing how good it looked in the multi-camera MOI shoot (where we worked closely with the director and DP), I knew I could never shoot anything as pretty on my own. However, the airdate has been delayed -- if it takes too much longer I'll reassess.

I've also been focused on my book Intimate Mysteries which came out last month, and my new effect The 100th Monkey, which comes out next week ( http://www.magicaonline.com/the_100th_monkey.htm ). Hopefully, will be able to post some performance footage soon...
Could TOBT be done on one person who picks a word in each of the 5 books? Thanks!

Regards,
Mike
Chris is a great guy, and a brilliant thinker.
Hey insight --

There is a one-book, one word, one-person variation, but I think having one person pick five words would be a bit taxing on his memory. ;)

Hey Gabelson -- dude, aren't you nice! Right back at ya -- I love your work and really look forward to seeing you again! Been too long.

-Chris
I just got this book test and I must echo all the preceding compliments. This effect is everything it claims to be!

I love how the books are different sizes, use different type, list different publishers, have ISBN #s, and are fully examinable.

I think the late Dick Christian would be delighted by Chris Philpott's Tossed Out Book Test. It's a great effect, both in concept and execution.
This is an incredibly good, and perfectly produced effect. A fantastic addition to the book test repertoire. And as Chris says, if used along with MOAB, the two effects enhance each other while the methods cancel each other out. Can't wait to use in front of audiences in shows this spring. I always thought the MOAB books were the most perfectly produced, deceptive books, but the TOBT books are right up there in quality as well. Bravo.
Thanks, ahofer and Mind Guerrilla! Appreciate you comment about Dick Christian -- he and I corresponded a number of times after he wrote about Incandescence (my first book test) and I read his lecture notes thoroughly before designing this one. I would have loved to talk to him about TOBT -- he was very knowledgeable, insightful and fun. :(
I received my copy today and the first thing I did was study the books looking for the gaffs, couldn't find a thing, if I didn't know better id think these books were the genuine article. I'd have absolutely no concerns about the spectators giving these a very good study. Method wise it does not get much easier, very little memory work needed so you can focus entirely on the presentation. The books are fantastically made, they look exactly as they should and can stand up to very close scrutiny even by somebody very familiar with the genuine books.

The instructions are very well written with several variations including a single book version and a single spectator version. The instructions detail presentation, scripting and even some stage craft. There are also tips and variations for different performing situations. The standard effect is simple, direct and very powerful, there is an advanced version of the main effect designed to include more hits and build the tension for the final reveal. There is a version of Richard Osterlind's seafire sequence and a variation based on Max Maven's tossed out tech. Oh and there is also a nice impromptu book test included.

All in all a very solid book test and one which I plan on adding to my act although I will be including one of my Ne plus ultra books so that I can do something special for the last person standing as a climax for the routine.

Mark
Thanks, Mark!
In the "Better late than never" category, I finally have some performance footage on this! David and Leeman have allowed me to use their presentation from their Fringe show: http://youtu.be/PVHLn81BxZk . They do a great job of it -- many thanks to them!
-Chris
Thanks for posting the video, Chris. Get ready to sell more books! At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is a very clever effect- very well thought out and very well executed. Worth every penny. The books all look 100% legit and are fully examinable.
I would like to know about the scalability of this effect. By default it's a five person effect and I know there's a one person version. What about numbers in between? Multiple volunteers is great but it would be nice to be able to go with 2, 3 or 4 depending on venue size, desired length of routine, etc. Is this covered in the instructions?

David and Leeman are very entertaining performers and I love all the comedy by-okay they work into their show. When it comes to the effect though, the repeated instructions "to look at the first line, then the first word on that line" starts to seem really fishy to me. If you could read minds, why would they need to look at the first word on the page? Why couldn't they just pick any word on the page? This aspect of many book tests really bugs me.
[quote]On Dec 6, 2014, robvh wrote:
I would like to know about the scalability of this effect. By default it's a five person effect and I know there's a one person version. What about numbers in between? Multiple volunteers is great but it would be nice to be able to go with 2, 3 or 4 depending on venue size, desired length of routine, etc. Is this covered in the instructions?[/quote]
Not per se. While I don't see how a 2 person version could work, a 3 or 4 person version seems possible by using a Ran Pink subtlety discussed on page 20 of the manual. As far as venue size, the very nature of the effect (as its name- based on a classic effect- indicates), makes it better suited for a large number of specs.

[quote]When it comes to the effect though, the repeated instructions "to look at the first line, then the first word on that line" starts to seem really fishy to me. If you could read minds, why would they need to look at the first word on the page? Why couldn't they just pick any word on the page? This aspect of many book tests really bugs me. [/quote]
The first word on the page is ideal because it is not surrounded on all sides by other words. A spectator's concentration on a word in the middle of a page or a line can be less focused because the surrounding words, seen in the spec's peripheral vision, can interfere with thought transmission. I thought all mind readers knew this. ;)
Thanks, Mind Guerrilla!

Hey Robvh -- Max Maven was kind enough to let me include a variation of his Tossed Out Tech which uses two people and two books -- it's one of my favorite routines in this. As for choosing the first word on the page, many of the best book tests from Flashback to Booked use this ploy -- it's pretty well-established and there are lots of good "excuses" for it out there. Personally, after they check out the books I have them close the books and clear their minds -- I'm going to be reading five minds at once and this is incredibly difficult so "please, this time when you open the books I want you to look at only one word: the first word on any page." Considering these are well known books and they've already examined them, there is never any suspicion about this.

D and L really spell it out and that may not be to all tastes, but I think it works for them: they talk a lot and they talk fast -- being extra clear is smart.
[quote]On Dec 7, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
[quote]On Dec 6, 2014, robvh wrote:
I would like to know about the scalability of this effect. By default it's a five person effect and I know there's a one person version. What about numbers in between? Multiple volunteers is great but it would be nice to be able to go with 2, 3 or 4 depending on venue size, desired length of routine, etc. Is this covered in the instructions?[/quote]
Not per se. While I don't see how a 2 person version could work, a 3 or 4 person version seems possible by using a Ran Pink subtlety discussed on page 20 of the manual.[/quote]

[quote]On Dec 8, 2014, Chris Philpott wrote:
Max Maven was kind enough to let me include a variation of his Tossed Out Tech which uses two people and two books --[/quote]

I stand corrected! That's right. Page 28. :)
No worries, MG. There are a lot of handlings -- even I forget some!
I own boxes of book tests BUT this is the one I use. Those posters wanting to reduce the numbers of participants are missing out on a key facet of this effect. The reactions of the non-participants in the audience is greatly enhanced when 5 people sit down all at the same time. While the participants are mystified by your revalation, it is those non-participating spectators who gasp when the participants sit down.
Mike
[quote]On Dec 8, 2014, Chris Philpott wrote:
As for choosing the first word on the page, many of the best book tests from Flashback to Booked use this ploy -- it's pretty well-established and there are lots of good "excuses" for it out there. Personally, after they check out the books I have them close the books and clear their minds -- I'm going to be reading five minds at once and this is incredibly difficult so "please, this time when you open the books I want you to look at only one word: the first word on any page." Considering these are well known books and they've already examined them, there is never any suspicion about this. [/quote]
During one scene on this year's DOCTOR WHO Christmas special, The Doctor tosed out four books to four people, had them each turn to a page and look at the first word. I'm just sayin'. :D
Could the doctor be a secret mentalist ? He would certainly have no travel expenses, if you could time travel which period would you like to go to ?
I would not let an episode of Dr. Who prevent you from performing this outstanding effect. Although the followers of Dr. Who are loyal to the max they make up a VERY small percentage of the population. "Don't run if you are not being chased"!
Mike
[quote]On Dec 26, 2014, mtoth2008 wrote:
I would not let an episode of Dr. Who prevent you from performing this outstanding effect.[/quote]
"Prevent?" Far from it. The Doctor wasn't performing a book test. The scene just made me think of this thread.
[quote]On Jan 10, 2013, Francois Lagrange wrote:
From the video it's softback - thanks god. Tossing a hardback among the audience could be quite dangerous!? . [/quote]

I know! My "Calling Doctor Hoy!" telephone book test had to be pulled from the market after several alleged "incidents" ...
Mind Guerilla -- very intrigued by the Doctor Who scene. I'm way behind on the series (I binge watch it on Netflix now and then).

Cheesewrestler: hahaha!