(Close Window)
Topic: "genius" effects
Hi to everybody! I am a professional actor/juggler from italy, I recently became really interested in magic, especially mentalism. it's the first time I write here so... nice to meet you!
I have a question for you if you don't mind, I need help. I am working on my new theater show, mainly a comedy show. one of the characters I will play is a sort of mentalist/guru/coach/scientist that is a master of mind's powers so I am looking for some mentalism effect's that can give the idea to the audience that he is a sort of "genius". I mean that I don't want them to think he has psychic powers or be an illusionist but that he developed extraordinary mental skills that potentially everyone could achive with a special training. right now, to my short knowledge of mentalism, I am considering this effects:
- memory test
- book test
but I am sure that there are many more that I don't know and can fit for my purpose with the appropriate presentation. any idea or advice? can you suggest me the most appropriate methods/books/DVDs/props for my goal? many thanks in advance to anyone will be helpful. all the best.

lorenzo
Day for any date would work well, the ability to square and cube numbers and a magic square...all found in Corinda's 13 Steps.
Memory tests are great, such as memorizing a list of 20 random objects called out by the audience. Book tests can be fun too (one of my personal favorites. Don't know why, but I love book tests). Quick calculations can play well too, such as a magic square. If you haven't already taken the plunge you could do no wrong by investing in Corinda's 13 steps to mentalism. That one book should give you plenty of material.
Benvenuto, Lorenzo!

I agree with your own thoughts to demonstrate something along the line of memory effects. For example, a strong piece to apparently prove your memorization skills is called "Card Memory" found in various publications by Bob Cassidy's (e.g. "The Art of Mentalism 2", "The Artful Mentalism" or "Mental Miracles with Bob Cassidy".

Another recommendation for a great presentation of the "Day for any Date" plot goes to a new book by Hans Solka ([url=http://www.lulu.com/shop/hans-christian-solka/die-schnapszahl-methode/paperback/product-20613201.html]"Die Schnapszahlmethode"[/url]) which is soon to be released in English as well. Its strength lies in the charming ease of calculation (even for total beginners) without forfeiting any of its impact.

If you're interested in Magic Squares as well, make sure to check out the books by [url=http://www.deceptionary.com/content-p.html]Doug Dyment[/url], namely "Stimulacra" and "Mindsights", which are very well worth reading.

Good luck!
I'm a bit of a kindred soul, Lorenzo. My Grey Matters blog is focused on various mental math, memory, and related feats:
http://headinside.blogspot.com/

The best place to start is probably the Menatl Gym section, where each post focuses on a specific feat:
http://gmmentalgym.blogspot.com/

Also, here's a long lists of memory-related effects you may find useful:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23420016/MemoryEffects.pdf
Shuffle a deck of cards. Let someone choose a card and keep it. Shuffle the deck. Moderately riffle through the cards face-up and memorize them.

Do some mental algorithms and deduce the missing card.
I also recommend Corinda. The Magic Square shows math genius and Day for any Date shows memory genius as well. There is more that can be applied as well.

There is a chess act that may be worth looking into
Message: Posted by: Mauricio Jaramillo (Jan 8, 2013 01:11PM)
Ah, I was just about to recommend Scott Cram's website, a treasure trove indeed. About 2 or 3 years ago, Café member "Mr. Mindbender" http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=34869 shared a wonderful premise for a magic square he came up with that involved post it notes and a crazy genius type of presentation with them. Not sure where that post is, but do a search for Magic Squares and his name, I'm sure many here will find it useful.
Day for Any Date, Magic Square and Knight's Tour are my top 3 recommendations.

I have a free tutorial and learning app for the Knight's Tour at http://www.mindmagician.org/tour3.aspx

Mike
If you're familiar with book tests and memory systems, why not do something simple like recite the contents of a "randomly" selected statistics/math textbook and then recite it back to the crowd? Could be very minimal work for a huge payoff that fits right in with the theme.

For example, I think it'd be great to use a number force like The Gift in The Logar Scrolls (any force would do though). There's the perfect premise of seeming to call out for random bits of information and then quickly and flawlessly tallying the total in your head (in fact you're keeping track of a much simpler number relationship). Have someone with a calculator confirm the page number, a participant flips there, and then recite all the digits on that page.

The prep would be pretty painless using 2know mnemonics software, a little longer if you aren't too familiar with the Phonetic Major System (very similar to the mnemonic system in 13 steps).

-Aaron.
People are making some great suggestions and I'm excited to rediscover the work of Scott Cram. My best suggestion is the true mastery of mnemonics which is being suggested in small doses but I'm talking about going full on.

The interesting part to me is that while you will feel you are learning tricks at first, you will be actually improving your mind using methods that have withstood the test of thousands of years of time. And you'll learn skills to accomplish what you want both for real and via deception while aiding you immensely in all areas of mentalism. And life!

On the lighter side, I've seen a well known mentalist/memory expert demonstrate memorizing an entire book via the use of Flashback!

Last but not least, everyone with an interest in mnemonics and the workings of memory should run not walk and buy Joshua Forer's Moonwalking with Einstein. I'm only about a third of the way through the book and am finding it amazing as well as extremely well written. If I'd read this in grad school, I'd probably have become a neuropsychologist.

A book that will definitely help you to do memory effects is How to Develop a Super Power memory by Harry Lorayne or any of his other memory books.
Also check out this Ted Talk by mathemagician Arthur Benjamin for some inspiration: http://www.ted.com/talks/arthur_benjamin_does_mathemagic.html
Book me. I AM a bona fide genius.
Barrie Richardson has several intersting items in A theater of the Mind. Fifty-two cards in succession is one that comes to mind. ALso, Chuck Hickock's magic square in Mentalism, Inc.
You can reframe a lot of prediction effects so that, rather than being a demonstration of the paranormal or even of psychological influence, you are demonstrating some kind of "scientific" power of prognostication.
So that not only have you developed a "system" for predicting the outcome of a certain event, you can also do the necessary number-crunching in your head. With a little thought about what sorts of things a hyper-brainiac scientist might predict, and how he might go about it, standard methods should work well for "proving your hypothesis". For standard methods, I also recommend getting familiar with 13 Steps...
Day for any date is good, memorising 20 or 30 random digits and reciting them forwards and backwards is quite doable once you learn a good system. I found harry loraynes age less memory to be a good source for learning systems.

Sea
Wow... lots of information being given out here, in public, to someone with only 1 post...
This always happens. It seems people just can't help themselves.
That's why I opted for a Parmenionesque response.

[quote]
On 2013-01-09 17:40, Chaz93 wrote:
Wow... lots of information being given out here, in public, to someone with only 1 post...
[/quote]
What a prompt answer from so many people! let me express my gratitude to all of you for your kind help, you gave me a lot of ideas and good hints. thank you very much indeed.
corinda's 13 steps was on my list, immediately ordered and coming next days. fortunately I borrowed osterlind's 13 steps DVDs from a magician good friend of mine, do you know if there is everything explained in the book?
when I was young I made myself a day by any date system after viewing "rain man"... but I forgot about it! thanks to remind me the effect, I will study new systems.
memorizing a card deck sound interesting, even if I would like to avoid card as most as possible, just to not look like a magician. is there something else that could be easily memorized without strong memotechincs?
I knew a little bit about magic squares, I will look for an appropriate presentation of it as nicolino and mauricio suggested. by the way... nicolino, sei italiano? :)
I will give a look to all the books about memory some of you suggested, they sound useful.
I am aware that this is my first post... but I just discovered the forum! I immediately posted a presentation of mine in the new arrivals board. No intention to lurke only. I am quite new to mentalism, as you can see, but I am available to share all my knowledges in acting and circus arts if you need, not here of course, would be OT.
all the best.
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 12:47, Scott Cram wrote:
I'm a bit of a kindred soul, Lorenzo. My Grey Matters blog is focused on various mental math, memory, and related feats:
http://headinside.blogspot.com/

The best place to start is probably the Menatl Gym section, where each post focuses on a specific feat:
http://gmmentalgym.blogspot.com/

Also, here's a long lists of memory-related effects you may find useful:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23420016/MemoryEffects.pdf
[/quote]

congratulations for your blogs, very usefull. the list is fantastic!
Lorenzo - My comment about your first post was not meant as an insult to you, but rather to remind the folks that should know better that this is a publicly viewed forum. I'm glad to see you're not just lurking, and I don't believe you are someone who is just trying to collect effects and methods, however those people do exist and threads like this where everything is given up so quickly just makes it easier for those guys.

Nothing personal towards you at all, it's just that this forum can be a little too quick to give out methods, and we should be a little more reserved about what we say in public.

That said, I'm sure you'll enjoy 13 steps, as there is much in there that osterlind didn't/couldn't touch in his DVDs. It really is the bible of our art and is a book you will find yourself going back to year after year as you learn and expiriment more.

All the best,

Charles
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 14:11, Mauricio Jaramillo wrote:
Ah, I was just about to recommend Scott Cram's website, a treasure trove indeed. About 2 or 3 years ago, Café member "Mr. Mindbender" http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=34869 shared a wonderful premise for a magic square he came up with that involved post it notes and a crazy genius type of presentation with them. Not sure where that post is, but do a search for Magic Squares and his name, I'm sure many here will find it useful.
[/quote]

maybe this?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=336989&forum=15&36
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 13:56, DavidGamut wrote:
I also recommend Corinda. The Magic Square shows math genius and Day for any Date shows memory genius as well. There is more that can be applied as well.

There is a chess act that may be worth looking into
[/quote]

are you referring to the Knight's Tour already mentioned?
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 17:45, aalexander wrote:
If you're familiar with book tests and memory systems, why not do something simple like recite the contents of a "randomly" selected statistics/math textbook and then recite it back to the crowd? Could be very minimal work for a huge payoff that fits right in with the theme.

For example, I think it'd be great to use a number force like The Gift in The Logar Scrolls (any force would do though). There's the perfect premise of seeming to call out for random bits of information and then quickly and flawlessly tallying the total in your head (in fact you're keeping track of a much simpler number relationship). Have someone with a calculator confirm the page number, a participant flips there, and then recite all the digits on that page.

The prep would be pretty painless using 2know mnemonics software, a little longer if you aren't too familiar with the Phonetic Major System (very similar to the mnemonic system in 13 steps).

-Aaron.
[/quote]

sound impressive, I will work on it but I need to exercise mnemonic system before! :) thanks.
[quote]
On 2013-01-09 13:03, GDGrey wrote:
You can reframe a lot of prediction effects so that, rather than being a demonstration of the paranormal or even of psychological influence, you are demonstrating some kind of "scientific" power of prognostication.
So that not only have you developed a "system" for predicting the outcome of a certain event, you can also do the necessary number-crunching in your head. With a little thought about what sorts of things a hyper-brainiac scientist might predict, and how he might go about it, standard methods should work well for "proving your hypothesis". For standard methods, I also recommend getting familiar with 13 Steps...
[/quote]

I was actually considering this option because the show has this kind of frame. in you opinion which of the standard methods will suit better?
[quote]
On 2013-01-10 08:23, Chaz93 wrote:
Lorenzo - My comment about your first post was not meant as an insult to you, but rather to remind the folks that should know better that this is a publicly viewed forum. I'm glad to see you're not just lurking, and I don't believe you are someone who is just trying to collect effects and methods, however those people do exist and threads like this where everything is given up so quickly just makes it easier for those guys.

Nothing personal towards you at all, it's just that this forum can be a little too quick to give out methods, and we should be a little more reserved about what we say in public.

That said, I'm sure you'll enjoy 13 steps, as there is much in there that osterlind didn't/couldn't touch in his DVDs. It really is the bible of our art and is a book you will find yourself going back to year after year as you learn and expiriment more.

All the best,

Charles
[/quote]

it was clear to me, no problem. :)
I am not asking complete explanations of method but only advices to get the right direction for my project, there are so many effects and methods that the selection it's not easy. I am willing to buy book, DVD and gimmick but possibly the right one!
Lorenzo,

UK mentalist Paul Brook (a member here) published a book entitled "The Chrysalis of a Polymath," which provides methods, entertaining presentations, and complete scripts for precisely the kinds of polymath-genius-mental agility-beautiful mind-specialized savant demonstrations you are after.

Just a thought,

TT
[quote]
On 2013-01-10 10:57, ThoughtThief wrote:
Lorenzo,

UK mentalist Paul Brook (a member here) published a book entitled "The Chrysalis of a Polymath," which provides methods, entertaining presentations, and complete scripts for precisely the kinds of polymath-genius-mental agility-beautiful mind-specialized savant demonstrations you are after.

Just a thought,

TT
[/quote]

that's really interesting too, thanks for mentioning it.
Cracked.com has a great sense of timing:

[url=http://www.cracked.com/article_20214_5-so-called-signs-genius-that-any-idiot-can-learn.html]5 so-called signs of genius that any idiot can learn[/url]
[quote]
On 2013-01-15 00:46, Scott Cram wrote:
Cracked.com has a great sense of timing:

[url=http://www.cracked.com/article_20214_5-so-called-signs-genius-that-any-idiot-can-learn.html]5 so-called signs of genius that any idiot can learn[/url]
[/quote]

I can solve the rubik cube! that makes me reconsider my IQ a little bit... :)
You might also check out Jack Kent Tillar's book Septet, which is all about super powers for mentalists. His memory pill act is really great, and has effects in it that are in line with the kinds of demonstrations you want to perform. It includes:

1 - Random letters called out by the audience and written on a large pad. Instantly, you can recite the letters one by one, and then recite it in reverse order.
2 - Audience members write down 10 digit numbers on slips of paper which are studied momentarily. Another participant takes the slips, and then chooses any one. After calling out the first 2 digits, the performer recites the other 8. This is instantly repeated with the other slips.
3 - a Card calling routine
4 - 25 objects are written down on a numbered list. The performer can immediately call all 25 objects in order, or even name any object at any number called.

That's just one part of the book, too! There's other "super powers" discussed in it. It (along with JKT's other number books) is a great read.
[quote]
On 2013-01-08 17:45, aalexander wrote:

For example, I think it'd be great to use a number force like The Gift in The Logar Scrolls. There's the perfect premise of seeming to call out for random bits of information and then quickly and flawlessly tallying the total in your head (in fact you're keeping track of a much simpler number relationship). Have someone with a calculator confirm the page number, a participant flips there, and then recite all the digits on that page.

-Aaron.
[/quote]

Thanks for the mention, Aaron. I am very fortunate Richard Osterlind let me include "The Gift" in Logar. It truly is a gift.

Bryn
Just to say many thanks again to everybody, your suggestions and hints has been very usefull to me. I had the preview of my new show one week ago and the mentalism effects worked well! for the moment I only performed A Day of Any Date and Book Test, now I am considering to add something more. I will let you know. all the best.

[quote]
On 2013-01-10 07:59, lorenzo wrote:
What a prompt answer from so many people! let me express my gratitude to all of you for your kind help, you gave me a lot of ideas and good hints. thank you very much indeed.
corinda's 13 steps was on my list, immediately ordered and coming next days. fortunately I borrowed osterlind's 13 steps DVDs from a magician good friend of mine, do you know if there is everything explained in the book?
when I was young I made myself a day by any date system after viewing "rain man"... but I forgot about it! thanks to remind me the effect, I will study new systems.
memorizing a card deck sound interesting, even if I would like to avoid card as most as possible, just to not look like a magician. is there something else that could be easily memorized without strong memotechincs?
I knew a little bit about magic squares, I will look for an appropriate presentation of it as nicolino and mauricio suggested. by the way... nicolino, sei italiano? :)
I will give a look to all the books about memory some of you suggested, they sound useful.
I am aware that this is my first post... but I just discovered the forum! I immediately posted a presentation of mine in the new arrivals board. No intention to lurke only. I am quite new to mentalism, as you can see, but I am available to share all my knowledges in acting and circus arts if you need, not here of course, would be OT.
all the best.
[/quote]