(Close Window)
Topic: Best thumb tip resource?
Not sure if this is the best section for this question, but here goes. I'm thinking of getting either a book or DVD to learn some good effects using a thumb tip. In looking at the possibilities I'm thinking either the Darwin - Encyclopedia or the Worlds Greatest Magic DVD (the one with mulitiple contributors - Ammar, Osterlind, Diamond, etc.) would be the best choice. I'm leaning toward the second choice - its cheaper and gets good reviews. Anyone want to give your opinion?
When I bought my first TT as a young boy, it came with a booklet similar to [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/193]this one[/url]. It taught me everything I needed to know about a TT and then some. It has the added benefit of being extremely inexpensive. One of the first things to look for is the Dai Vernon Kick Steal. This little "sleight" allows you to perform TT miracles and still amaze many "in-the-know." If nothing else, it gives you a great idea of how to handle a TT and the effects possible (hint: it's not limited to just vanishes). I'd start with the booklet, and if you determine that it's not enough, go with the DVD, etc. Good luck, and have fun!
I have the darwin 3 dvd set.theres enough
information on there to last a lifetime.
[quote]
On Jan 25, 2013, bowers wrote:
[/quote]

I agree I bought mine at Penguin when it was in coolbox so I got a good price. I only need a few effects from so many, bill switch, $1 to 10 dimes and a salt/sugar pour vanish up sleeve ala Roger Klaus.
You could try these 2 DVD's:
- Examining The Thumbtip by Alexander DeCova, about $20... 55 minutes (only 3 routines) but very good strong material
- Page Thumb Tips Patrick Page, about $10... very good material and instructions
These 2 will change the way you look at using a thumb tip I think.
Although the Darwin set is a classic as well as a great reference these 2 have very different handlings and effects not found on the Darwin DVD's
Try Penguin Magic they have both I think
Tipnician by Bob Chesbro
[quote]
On Jan 25, 2013, bowers wrote:
[/quote]
You're right Bowers, you can't go wrong with this set of DVD's. Highly recommended!
+1. For Darwin here...
50 tricks with a TT is excellent.
Carry a few with different currencies (Etienne Pradier Tip)
Although there is more of a variation of performers on the World's Greatest Magic DVD, there is so much more material on Darwin's dvd and therefore more bang for your buck

- Yazz
[quote]On Mar 24, 2014, Taterini wrote:
- Page Thumb Tips Patrick Page, about $10... very good material and instructions
[/quote]
Unreservedly recommended (along with anything else that Pat Page ever put his name to).

The finale on this DVD is sheer brilliance - and cements the point that Pat tries to get across throughout the DVD instruction.
For some truly unusual Thumb Tip uses, Steve Dusheck's Thumb Tip Magic book. It involves some unique customization of thumb tips and a lot of clever thinking.

Jim
Anyone have any recommendations on a good quality adult (large hand) thumb tip? Thanks!
Darwin is great, other posts talk about enlarging tips to make a better fit. One thing that I think really helped is we all understand the vanishing silk and how the tip is stolen out of the hand, but learning some different methods other than just jamming your thumb in your fist is a real step into elevating your tip work.
Would anyone have a good sugestion on fiiting a magnet inside of the tip? Also if you do, would you need to go up in a size I assume?
Depends on what you want to do with it, do you still want to use it to load things? A drop of super glue and a small neodymium magnet inside should do the tr The vernet king size or whatever is extra long and could probably hold a couple magnets and some other items in a pinch.
Ckelley,
Those that I know that use a magnet in the TT, typically have it dedicated to a specific trick or set of tricks. So they don't use any special size, but as stated before, a drop of glue and drop in a magnet of desired strength and you are all set.

Consider dedicated TTs for different tricks. They are inexpensive, don't take up much space, and can be customized (like adding magnets).

Hudson
Can anything beat this one for tt ideas-Examining The Thumbtip by Alexander DeCova
Wanted- Examining thumb tip. UK
"Dai Vernon Kick Steal"
Where can I find this in any of the Vernon books?
Thanks
Paul
Steve Dusheck has said he bought them by the gross. Then he would cut them into various shapes and use them for things that you would never imagine. Great stuff in his book "Magic with Thumb Tips".

Jim
[quote]On Dec 10, 2014, pjpastir wrote:
"Dai Vernon Kick Steal"
Where can I find this in any of the Vernon books?
Thanks
Paul [/quote]

I'd like to know the answer to this also. I've never heard of the Kick Steal. Would be nice to expand the capabilities of my TT.

Thanks in advance!

Sam
You can find the "Dai Vernon Kick Steal" on:
- "Page Thumb Tips" Patrick Page
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6125
- "Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic" Gary Darwin's 3 DVD set
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1761
- "Hand-picked Astonishments (Thumb Tips)" by Paul Harris and Joshua Jay - DVD
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15337
OT: Samaroo:

Nice avatar! (Maybe next year...)

Jim
A thorough of study of Roger Klause's half- move concepts is essential.
Thanks Jim! Probably not next year either, though...
I recently watched Darwin's encyclopedia. While it gets repetitive, it's a good lesson in creativity. I wish I had watched in ten or more years ago. I was apparently not using the right size (TTs were too big), and that was causing my lack of comfort leading me to never use them...

P!
"Switch ~ Unfolding the $100 Dollar Bill Change" by John Lovick

$30-$50 book, worth every penny. Deals with nearly all major versions of bill changes and swaps (great resource for TT theory and technique)

Some awesome TT-less stuff as well.
There's also a Tarbell-lesson on Penguinmagic about the TT.
[quote]On Feb 13, 2015, Proximo wrote:
There's also a Tarbell-lesson on Penguinmagic about the TT. [/quote]
It might even be in Tarbell. Just a hunch.
Gary Darwin should get you started and busy. Really busy.
I second Dr. JK's book recommendation. That is all you need to get started and it has lots of good information for the TT.
Dan Harlan's thumb tip episode of the tarbell series (penguin magic) is excellent!
Darwin's dvd's is a fantastic resource
[quote]On Jun 1, 2015, Juble wrote:
Dan Harlan's thumb tip episode of the tarbell series (penguin magic) is excellent! [/quote]
It might even be in Tarbell.
I would also give a big thumbs up (ha!) to [url=http://www.magikraft.com/examining-the-thumbtip-dvd/]Examining The Thumbtip by Alexander DeCova[/url] (some clever handling ideas for general use, as well as some solid magical routines that go way beyond shoving a silk into your fist and vanishing it) , as well as the [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6125]Patrick Page video on Thumbtips[/url] , and the [url=http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/912]Gary Darwin 3-DVD set[/url] (and Darwin's books , [url=https://www.daytonamagic.com/thumbtip-secrets-by-gary-darwin-bk0565.html]Thumb Tip Secrets[/url] , [url=https://www.daytonamagic.com/thumbtip-thinking-by-gary-darwin-bk0566.html]Thumb Tip Thinking[/url] , [url=http://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Thumb-Miracles-Gary-Darwin/dp/0939024012]Thumb Tip Miracles[/url] which covers most of the same material that is on Darwin's DVDs , but nice to have as both a print resource and the video of Gary demo'ing the ideas in the books) .
Message: Posted by: StanleyRosenhouse (Apr 20, 2016 12:06AM)
Salvano's TT video is awesome.
What a lot of resources to choose from! I was thinking of getting something to learn some TT stuff as it's the one area that seems to be missing from the Mark Wilson CCIM. I have Dan Harlan video from the Tarbell series (and a PDF of Tarbell to look at) but might look at these other options. I was looking at Dave Bonsall's Sugar Routine, but maybe one of these others will give more ideas... Hmmm, decisions decisions!
Well, Jonathan...That's life! (making decisions!)

Young magician wannabee asks old successful magician: "How do you account for your success?"

Old magician: "Making the right decisions."

"OK, but, how do you learn to make the right decisions?"

"Experience!"

"OK, but, how do you get the experience"?"

"Making the wrong decisions!"
Nice one, Dick! :thumbsup:
Thanks! It's an old "story", but, then, I'm old, too.

I've read and commented on several of your posts.

It evident that you are approaching the learning of magic with good ethics!

Your ATTITUDE will help determine your ALTITUDE in life! (I noted your aviation interest!)

Yup...your attitude, and, that smile will take you far!
Hehe, I just need to pull my finger, err thumb, out now! :)
Message: Posted by: ProfessorMagicJMG (May 13, 2016 02:25AM)
There is a lot of good thumb tip material now on YouTube, just search for it.
Old thread but still a good one.... Here are my thoughts.

**Examining The Thumb tip by Alexander DeCova
***Patrick Page video on Thumb tips
*Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic 3-DVD set & instant download (See below)
**Hand-picked Astonishments (Thumb Tips) by Paul Harris and Joshua Jay.
*Dan Harlan Tarbell 6 Thumb Tips Download
*Duane Laflin The Magicians Secret Weapon The Thumb Tip
***Salvano Greater Magic Thumb Tips
*Thumbtipedia By Vernet
**Losander As Good As It Gets
**Thumb tips Worlds Greatest Magic

*Basics-Start here and master these.
**Thinking outside the box and good methods. Expand your repertoire.
***Great handling ideas. Awesome nuggets.

If I had to suggest starting with one it would be Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic 3-DVD set. (Penguin also has as instant download.)
Next, all the ** are good and varied enough to be well worth it.
Finally, Salvano & Page.

Just my thoughts.
I learnt everything I know about TT from the Darwin set. It's very exhaustive.