(Close Window)
Topic: Blackpool 2013
This will be my 9th Blackpool convention this year ...anyone else going?
I'm willing to bet a farthing that Richard Kaufman will not.
Seen him there on a few occasions.
Always fancied going but Blackpool looks such a s##t hole..... Don't suppose they will ever change the venue..!?
Apparently Blackpool has undergone a huge improvement development (I know for sure the Winter gardens has) overall yes I would agree, however I don't go as a tourist so the overall condition of the town doesn't really bother me that much, I just love the convention, the people, the atmosphere.
Good point Mike, I'm booked up this year - may be next.
Richard Kaufman is unable to attend as he was banned by Derek Lever.
I'll be there.

Best convention in the world by a long way.

Great venue, great dealers, great acts, great lectures and cheap booze.
Hi Guys,
This one will be my 31st Blackpool convention,I will be there with my good lady who also enjoys attending.
Jamie, your remarks are true in every word.
Each year gets better and better.
[quote]
On 2013-02-02 01:24, mitchmagi wrote:
Richard Kaufman is unable to attend as he was banned by Derek Lever.
[/quote]
I'm not surprised.

Even in the Feb 2013 issue of Genii Derek is still getting a rough ride from Richard.

I think it's time to let go of the past and let bygones be bygones.

This insignificant political infighting just comes across as petty. Richard is too important a figure to allow himself to descend into this type of behaviour IMHO.
[quote]
On 2013-02-02 09:12, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I'll be there.

Best convention in the world by a long way.

Great venue, great dealers, great acts, great lectures and cheap booze.
[/quote]
So I guess youve been a few times before Jamie?...Ruskin as well?
[quote]
On 2013-02-02 10:06, magicjosh2 wrote:
Hi Guys,
This one will be my 31st Blackpool convention,I will be there with my good lady who also enjoys attending.
Jamie, your remarks are true in every word.
Each year gets better and better.
[/quote]
Hi Mark Im from the Manchester area as well (sort of) 31Yrs? ...wow!
Hi Mike,
I have had the wonderful privilege of seeing some very fine acts over the years in the close up, the lectures and the gala showa, the organisers do a tremendous job every year in bringing the convention together as you well know. I will be in Blackpool from Thursday through to Monday and will more than likely see you in the Ruskin at some point. Look forward to meeting and chatting with you.
I've been asked to help out on a couple of dealer stands again.

Don't think I'll do it though as I want to enjoy the convention.

You will find me at the bar in the WG doing my new stuff. I sold out of notes last year by Saturday night so if you want my new notes (6 tricks) then you'll need to buy early.

See you there.

J
I will be going to Blackpool this year. It's my first visit. I have to see what all the talk is about.

Dal Sanders
Dallas, TX
[quote]
On 2013-02-04 17:42, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

You will find me at the bar in the WG doing my new stuff. I sold out of notes last year by Saturday night so if you want my new notes (6 tricks) then you'll need to buy early.

See you there.

J
[/quote]
For those that have PM'd me I haven't finished writing my notes and I still need to take photos so I'm afraid you won't be able to get them before Blackpool. Sorry. Busy schedule at the moment.
I am making my third trip. It should be fun as usual.
[quote]
On 2013-02-05 23:13, Dal wrote:
I will be going to Blackpool this year. It's my first visit. I have to see what all the talk is about.

Dal Sanders
Dallas, TX
[/quote]

Be prepared to bring a thick winter coat - it is always feezing cold and generally raining in Blackpool in February.
Blackpool itself is horrible, cheap and tacky - even if it has undergone a recent renovation.

However, the convention itself is always good fun.
It's a shame some of the lectures clash with each other in terms of the schedule.
I'm sure they could plan this better so you could see all the lectures if you wanted to, but alas, there are a few annoying overlaps (annoying for me at least).

I hope you enjoy the convention :)
[quote]
On 2013-02-05 23:13, Dal wrote:

Dal Sanders
Dallas, TX
[/quote]

Blackpool can be summed up as Cheap and Cheerful (Not IBM or SAM Standard)

Plenty of dealers so if you are a junkie for the latest Magic Trick then this are the place to go to

Cheap Booze / Cheap Food Fish and Chips or Cheap curry House,

Poorly Organized Lectures that over lap

1.00pm to 2.00pm Star Lecture in the Pavilion Theatre by NICHOLAS EINHORN.

1.30pm to 2.30pm Star Lecture in the Spanish Hall by MATTHEW WRIGHT.

and the Close up (bit like a Cattle Market)

Items to avoid include After Gala Show Party which normally has some of the worst catering in the UK (Even Bad for Blackpool)

Anyway as Jamie is going a few of us will be looking out for him at the bar in the WG

Always good for a laugh
Yes I'm going I'm also there from the 15 - 24 Feb as I'm doing magic for Showzam and I will be there all weekend for the magic convention!

Hope to see you all there
I'll be going there on the cheap this year.
Flying in Friday morning, but only got a ticket for Saturday.
No hotel. No dosh to spend.

Talk about doing things on a shoestring

Steve
[quote]
On 2013-02-04 12:17, magicjosh2 wrote:
Hi Mike,
I have had the wonderful privilege of seeing some very fine acts over the years in the close up, the lectures and the gala showa, the organisers do a tremendous job every year in bringing the convention together as you well know. I will be in Blackpool from Thursday through to Monday and will more than likely see you in the Ruskin at some point. Look forward to meeting and chatting with you.
[/quote]
Will look forward to that Sir
[quote]

See you there.
Which bar in pertic Jamie?

J
[/quote]
Go and see the Magicbox guys for a trick called "GO", I was lucky enough to pick up a pre-release today and it ROCKS! It's by no means a new idea trick wise but the very talented and likeable Mark James has taken a very very good trick and made it even better. I had no idea it even needed improving. How wrong I was.
Message: Posted by: DRACO LE MAGICIEN (Feb 20, 2013 03:58PM)
I'll be there so see you in Blackpool ;)
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 08:19, Magicmike221 wrote:
[quote]

See you there.
Which bar in pertic Jamie?

J
[/quote]
[/quote]
Apparently I'll get banned if I sell my notes on the WG premises so I'll head off to the little pub just off the prom that all the Ruskin rejectors go to. It's called the Mitre and I'll be reserving an area there. I've been asked to make it invite only as the other magi who are setting up with me don't really want the masses to get hold of their material either.
So any reiews of the lecture and the show and especially Weber's lecture please ?
3,400 magicians made this the biggest and most successful convention ever staged, especially as it had so many FISM winners either performing or lecturing. It will be hard for any other convention to boast the same world record breaking credentials as Blackpool 2013.
For all of you who missed the Blackpool magic convention this year. I have written up my thoughts and opinions on my blog here http://www.alexmagic.co.uk/blog/blackpool-magic-2013/