(Close Window)
Topic: Inscrutable 2 Disc Set By Joseph Barry
Hi Guy's

It's nearly time :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0FClfZL1uU&feature=player_embedded

Regards

Peter
Wow!
I shall be picking this up at Blackpool as long you have enough copies since I'll be there on the Saturday only!
This looks so amazing! :D
-Benny
Hi Benny,

No need to worry we will have stock.

Regards

Peter
Saw some of Joe's work at The Session. Not only have I never been fooled so many times on the trot, so badly, but I've also never enjoyed being fooled quite so much. Simply excellent work from a truly fantastic guy - I can't wait to see more of his work.
When will this be released?
End of February.
Penguin has them in stock: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15138

Disk 1

Rainman

Prediction v1

Prediction v2

Stocan

Psychological spread force Simple math

They match

Spread switch

Spread triumph

Spread Strip out shuffle

Hofzinser's aces

Flow ace production

Count to aces

Think stop Subconscious poker 10-card poker stack

Disk 2

LLL peek

Centre deal

Stand up royal flush/ace selection Jazz gambling Demo

4 stop

Fair deal v1

Fair deal v2

In hands riffle faro shuffle technique

Out of this world

Values

Matching the poker hand Memory poker

Spectator poker dealer Mental selection

Riffle strip out shuffle Table Faro technique
Received mine this morning at 9am! Gonna be an interesting day. Will report back later with my views....
Be good to get your thoughts Roger as I have been thinking about this
It's sure worth a look at.

Joe has one of those styles that you instantly 'warm' to. Both in performance and instruction - (the latter of which is all too much a problem for some magicians these days!)

Okay - this may be viewed by some as one of those ever increasing and unnecessary two-disc sets where one could have done! But having said that - there are some niceties amongst the tricks that explain in some fine detail some of the moves going on.

All in all, there's something here for everyone at any level. Some very bold stuff too!

The opening Rainman might have some checking their routines to see if they can move to two decks instead of just one. Sadly, not me - but it was a brilliant effect.

If you're into psychological manipulation of your spec - you'll love some of this!

There's a neat alternative to the Shuflfing Lesson premise (Chad Long) which is something I'll introduce into my repertoire.

Out of this World was brilliant in performance - but 'in the real world' - I'm not so sure and went down as DVD filler to me. As did quite a lot of the sleep-inducing poker dealing stuff. I'm amazed that the producer didn't edit out the extensive yawn by one of the spectators! Unless he/she left it in there for its comedic value. It certainly made me laugh!

Be warned - there's some set-ups required. Some of which can be done on the fly. But quite a bit of simple semi-auto and impromptu stuff.

Perhaps I was expecting more from this, I dunno. It's a good production and well worth a study. Is there anything of use for inclusion your 'worker' repertoire - I'm not so sure.
Roger

Many thanks for the very honest review

Charlie
Thanks Roger
Roger , thanks for the review and the heads up for the Rainman routine.

That routine has me scratching my head:

http://youtu.be/C0FClfZL1uU?t=2m24s
I've watched both of the DVDs and am very impressed. Practically everything on Disc one fooled me badly and most of it is very simple and easy to do.

A strength of these routines is that the participants are apparently making all the decisions and the performer is apparently doing nothing at all. I'm reminded of David Berglas.
Here is the review I did for Duncan Trillo's http://www.magicweek.co.uk

Since the Elmsley count was introduced in the mid-fifties there has been a trend to add moves and counts to card magic, as well as complicating the effect to such an extent that a layman will be unable to describe what happened.

Some modern published routines are more akin to lessons in juggling than lessons in magic. I will call this the new school of card magic which has given birth to the move monkeys.

The old school of card magic (as I would describe it) had clear direct effects that were easy to understand and had a good, surprising climax. Most importantly the magician appeared to do nothing. The magic just happened.

The old school was influenced by people like Erdnase and Victor Farelli amongst others and their influences are found in later classics like Royal Road, Expert Card Technique and Greater Magic.

Can you name a card DVD or book published in the last ten years that does not include ace assemblies, collector or sandwich tricks, multiple false counts etc? Difficult, yes?

Well, here is one ....

Inscrutable is definitely old school. Strong direct effects that will fool magicians and laymen. And most of them are technically easy to do. Easy technically, yes (though there are some advanced techniques on Disc 2), but they do require audience management skills and a confident performer. Advanced beginner and upwards.

Joseph’s routines remind me of the direct presentations of Dani daOrtiz, frequently mixing devilishly simple methods to create miracles. Yet their styles are completely opposite. Dani is extrovert and in your face. Joe is quiet and unassuming. Yet both use their personalities and characteristics to maximum effect.

If you have seen disc 3 of Dani’s DVD set you will find some similar work on Disc One of Joe’s set. By studying both you will see two contrasting styles use similar methods and help you develop your own natural rhythm.

So what of the routines? Most are done from a shuffled deck in use - and shuffled by the audience too. A few require a set-up, most times you can do this in a previous trick or during down-time.

My favourite is the Math trick. From a shuffled (by the audience) deck you deal some cards in front of three participants. They each decide how many they get. You then toss small bunches of cards onto the table until someone shouts STOP. These are now counted, by you or an audience member. You announce that the total number of counted cards will equal the sum of the top cards of the three piles. These cards are turned over and their values added. The totals match. To a layman this appears totally impossible. This routine would work well with the effect where a participant cuts the deck in three piles, you turn over the top cards of two of the piles and can deduce the value of the top card in the third pile.

Disc Two features a number of gambling routines and demonstrations. Some are simple in method and some require advanced skills. All are direct and best suited for sitting down around a table with clients after a gig.

The downside for a working professional is that most of the routines require a table. Most close-up pros prefer routines that can be done in the hands both for strolling and visibility reasons. Having said that I have a number of routines that require minimal table space and a few others that do require more space. The latter I keep until after the meal when tables are less cluttered.

Aged thirteen, young Master Barry bought, at a local bookshop, Expert at the Card Table, Expert Card Technique and Scarne on Card Tricks. These were his only influences for the next few years and their theories and advice permeate through his work.

I highly recommend this two DVD set, for the overall directness of effects and the devastating miracles you will create for your audiences.

Available from http://www.alakazam.co.uk and all good dealers
I have not worked any of these effects yet so a strange review.
I was fooled, a lot. I am not fooled that often so I had a great time. Joseph is a low key performer, neither super funny nor super "mysterious."
Where layman are concerned fooled does not equal entertained so I really don't know how these low key but inexplicable effects will play.
In addition as pointed out above, a lot of table work and not strolling quicky effects.
But still I was fooled and when you're a magician that's a feeling you don't get that often so check them out.
Being a mentalist that uses cards, my favorites were

RainMan
Prediction 1 & 2
LLL Peek
Dealer Mental Selection
Math Trick
Memory Poker

I will use these.

In fact, had a chance to try them out yesterday, and they packed a punch.

alex
I have tried out a few of these as well to good response.
Thanks for the reviews, I just ordered :)
Inscrutable by Joseph Barry is a great DVD. Joseph has a very casual performing style. I got the feeling, as a spectator, that weird, wonderful, and magical stuff was happening. Joseph, at times, was just as amazed as the spectators were...which is awesome; In that the feeling (and I could be wrong) is - "Hey! I don't know how it works either, but isn't it cool!"

Anyway...this is really a wonderful DVD.
Big fans of Joe Barry may like to check out his performance for 3 fellow magicians on the Alakazam magic blog. His interview starts at around 14mins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAZRwp9qwkI

The second trick he did blew me away and totally fooled me. I watched it back a few times and eventually realised it's a trick I already perform! His handling, subtleties and relaxed presentation totally put me off the scent. I've since been presenting that trick with his handling and totally flooring everyone. He's still so young and yet seems to have already created a wonderfully likeable, natural way of presenting his tricks that many magicians aim for and never find in the entire career! I hope he keeps creating and sharing with the community as I think his material is well worth studying.
Agree with these reviews, Joe's material is very high quality and his presentational manner really sells the effect brilliantly and adds to the deception. You are sure to find at least one or two items on this set that can go into your regular performances.
I really love this set. It is full of ideas and the routines are wonderful.

Ryan.
As with many reviewers, I also believe this is a great DVD set. Rainman is a powerful method that could be used by pros or amateurs with ease. While he uses two decks, the method could easily be adapted to one deck. I have quite a unique stacked deck system that I use and I think this is a tremendous effect to do following the shuffling or "accidentally dropping" of the stacked deck and doing an affect that looks like a stacked deck effect.

I also really like his "fluid", loose style. I think it is good for anyone of any level to sort of remind ourselves of the benefits of being looser and more casual with magic effects, particularly for a small, intimate group of people. He also uses some very good verbal and non-verbal "non-magic" methods of conveying total randomness where you just get sucked into thinking the effect is not going well and the outcome is more surprising.

KJ
[quote]
On 2013-02-23 07:45, Zombie Magic wrote:
Roger , thanks for the review and the heads up for the Rainman routine.

That routine has me scratching my head:

[/quote]

I would buy the dvd just for this routine, it looks crazy and have no idea how this can be done...
It really fits what I like in card magic ! Mystery, easy to follow, baffling,…
Before buying the dvd (for this trick), is there like a "best scenario" or it always look that clean !?
And can it be done impromptu ? Thanks anyone for your help :)

Nicolas
Everytime, and is totally impromptu. Great DVD set
Thanks Xcath1 :)
At the end, I heard that there is a best scenario for Rainman !
Luckily for Joseph, that scenario is the one shown in the video.
So Xcath1, I guess we have a different definition of "a best scenario" :)

Nicolas
[quote]
On 2013-05-14 08:04, papawemba wrote:

Nicolas
[/quote]

There's no 'best scenario' for Rainman. What you see in the trailer is how it looks everytime.

If in doubt just ask Joe to demonstrate it at the next convention (he attends most of the big UK ones), in fact I've even seen him perform Rainman with as many as four cards!
Can someone tell me if this effect, Rainman,

is done exactly the same way as this one, at 14'36''...

It cannot be! It seems a s**** is used in the second video.
[quote]
On 2013-05-17 06:33, Jonathan C wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-05-14 08:04, papawemba wrote:

Nicolas
[/quote]

There's no 'best scenario' for Rainman. What you see in the trailer is how it looks everytime.

If in doubt just ask Joe to demonstrate it at the next convention (he attends most of the big UK ones), in fact I've even seen him perform Rainman with as many as four cards!
[/quote]

Thanks Jonathan, ok I finally decided to order the DVD, so I guess I'll find out ;-)
And with my definition of "best scenario"...

Nicolas
[quote]
On 2013-05-17 07:26, doriancaudal wrote:

[/quote]

Hey doriancaudal, It is that exact video that make me thing of a best scenario :)
I have the DVD and it is great. Rainman as taught on DVD is on the table which is considerably easier. I actually successfully did rainmain right after watching. I know the question is if there is a ideal situation and a not so ideal and the answer is not really. I say not really and not flat out no because the difference between them is roughly half a second. Half a second to me is basically the same. AND if you pay close attention to Joe's advice on the DVD you will get Valuable tips that will have you performing it like him in no time.

I believe his mentions the in the hands way approach on the DVD but it is harder and would take more practice than the table method. Although the method is the same, it would take more practice.

Support Joe! He is great.

Ryan
Both videos are true representations of Rainman as taught on the DVD.

In fact, at a recent meet I witnessed Joe perform Rainman for a group of people with a genuinely shuffled, borrowed deck. He even got the spectator to deal the cards onto the table one-by-one. Then he had three cards named and almost instantly announced each the position of each card! To prove he was right he had another spectator deal the cards to the named positions and show the named card at each number... It doesn't get much cleaner than that!

That fact that doubt has been raised over the best scenario is a testament to how bulletproof Joes methods are.
I have a question regarding this DVD.

I received my copy yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Some very clever ideas and methods here.

However, I was looking out for, and didn't seem to find, the trick Joe performs in this video at the very end....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAZRwp9qwkI&t=23m38s (should play from the trick)

Is this on the DVD , but under a different presentation?
Man, this set looks great. Definitely on my "to buy list".
[quote]
On 2013-05-17 07:26, doriancaudal wrote:

[/quote]

Sorry to come back on that, but having seen the DVD, his explananation for Rainman does not match the second version, from the second video, at 14'36''. I can see methods for achieving the second effect, but not with the one provided in the DVD... Can you confirm that?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree. There is a best scenario for Rainman. It's briefly acknowledged in the explanation. The best scenario allows you to quickly take the cards off of the table while other scenarios require a beat or two.
DVD relies too heavily on "classic f****" type of moves that require precise timing. However, they're necessary at "high-stakes" moments and have no solid "out."

While I perform the classic f****, I don't RELY on it. I always found that move easy, and I practiced it by performing it every single time I needed someone to pick a card, even if freely. However, I just find lots of this kid's moves to be much harder to practice than the traditional classic f****. You can't practice some of these moves without completely fouling up a trick and taking out your invisible deck as an out.

He is so charming. I smile during his presentations. However, his moves are "custom" in a sense. Lots of fiddling around with the cards, reminiscent of Lennart Green. I laughed when I read someone call his effects "self-working." Not true at all. You need major audience management and timing skills and an ability to just do whatever you want with the cards in a nonchalant manner. Rainman is cool, but I generally caught the method in the demo. I feel like your spectators may catch the method too if you don't get the "best scenario," which I believe is a REAL factor in that trick.

I find the DVDs discouraging.
[quote]
On 2013-03-04 09:37, Quentin wrote:
Here is the review I did for Duncan Trillo's http://www.magicweek.co.uk

My favourite is the Math trick. From a shuffled (by the audience) deck you deal some cards in front of three participants. They each decide how many they get. You then toss small bunches of cards onto the table until someone shouts STOP. These are now counted, by you or an audience member. You announce that the total number of counted cards will equal the sum of the top cards of the three piles. These cards are turned over and their values added. The totals match. To a layman this appears totally impossible. This routine would work well with the effect where a participant cuts the deck in three piles, you turn over the top cards of two of the piles and can deduce the value of the top card in the third pile.

[/quote]

Quentin,

What is the actual name of the "Math Trick" to which you were referring? In looking at the actual titles of the effects as posted by Zombie Magic here in this thread, the nearest I can see that [i]might[/i] be the "Math Trick" you named would be "Psychological spread force Simple math" on Disk 1. Is that the one you were referring to?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
It's called "simple math"
[quote]
On 2013-05-26 23:09, Robvs wrote:
DVD relies too heavily on "classic f****" type of moves that require precise timing. However, they're necessary at "high-stakes" moments and have no solid "out."

While I perform the classic f****, I don't RELY on it. I always found that move easy, and I practiced it by performing it every single time I needed someone to pick a card, even if freely. However, I just find lots of this kid's moves to be much harder to practice than the traditional classic f****. You can't practice some of these moves without completely fouling up a trick and taking out your invisible deck as an out.

He is so charming. I smile during his presentations. However, his moves are "custom" in a sense. Lots of fiddling around with the cards, reminiscent of Lennart Green. I laughed when I read someone call his effects "self-working." Not true at all. You need major audience management and timing skills and an ability to just do whatever you want with the cards in a nonchalant manner. Rainman is cool, but I generally caught the method in the demo. I feel like your spectators may catch the method too if you don't get the "best scenario," which I believe is a REAL factor in that trick.

[/quote]

I agree ! They are far from being self-worker ! Technically not hard (for most of them) but very advance in confidence.
The good news is that hard move (or force with timing) can be replaced by easier move (which eventually weaken the effect of course).
But I really enjoy his sloppy oriented card style :)
those effects are really good, simple and baffling. I really like it.
For "easier trick", one can go for "Stocan" and "LLL peek", eventually "Value" is very good with little effort.
“Simple math” is easy but not that easy if "the total" is high :)

Cheers
For simple math I do a quick overhand shuffle to start with a low value card on top to keep the total from being too high.
[quote]
On 2013-05-26 23:09, Robvs wrote:

[/quote]

I felt the same after watching it.
A lot of the tricks on the DVD do rely on using the classic f****, but that said, you can always use other methods, such as the riffle f**** if you don't feel confident with the classic.
I personally prefer to employ the riffle in those circumstances.

For me, the great thing about Joe's performance style, and in a way it helps to adopt a similar style, is if ever attempting anything that doesn't quite work out, because the performance style is so relaxed and nonchalant in nature, you can almost move on to something else.

Only the other day, I was performing for someone and first of all attempted 'Memory Poker' which I realized half-way through I wasn't going to be able to pull it off on this occasion so instead flowed straight into 'Stocan' and performed that perfectly.
I think the greatest thing about Joe's stuff is its great 'jazz'ing material.

One reviewer said that this DVD is not for true beginners because you need to have spectator experience, and that is true, you have to be able to handle some situations where one method/effect might not work.
That's not to say they don't work because with practice they do, but they certainly require practice and do require you to be able to think on your feet at times.

One effect on the DVD, 'Count to Aces' I believe, is Joe's take on the classic 'Shuffle Lesson' and it uses a move which is the bane of my life: bottom deal!

I have however been able to think my way through to a method which involves no such move!, yet has the same benefit as Joe's original effect, where spectator is dealt a chosen number of cards, and immediately after that, can move the top and bottom cards of their packet to the middle.
I thought that moment was incredibly deceptive so wanted to try and keep that within my method but try and eliminate the awkward bottom deal...or at least..MY awkward bottom deal! lol :)
If anyone is interested in my workaround, feel free to pm me. Happy to share! :)

My feeling is if you have any [b]decent[/b] experience with cards I believe you can take Joe's methods and adapt them to suit your style or ability.

My personal favourite effect on the whole set though has to be Rainman.
So much fun to perform, easy to do, and is a great trick to jazz with.

Personally, I perform it differently to Joe.
With his second prediction, it's more of a magic effect where the prediction 'changes'.
I prefer to have the spectator, or a different spectator, name a second number, and I predict that card too...only this time they deal face down, and it's the...[if you know the method, you know the card].
Doing that:
a) keeps it within the theme of 'memorizing a deck' but also
b) helps sell the fact that you can do it for real, if there were any concerns over how you got the first card [spread].(because you accurately predict the 2nd number without ever looking)

I reckon as well, that Rainman is one of those effects where the more you perform it, the more you can start to notice what numbers get named more often than others.
To those that know the method for Rainman, you don't HAVE to use the cards Joe mentions....
if you notice spectators name certain numbers more than others, start using derivatives of those numbers instead when you go through.
That way, you increase the chances of 'best scenario's.

In closing, while I do agree that a fair few of the tricks do employ risky moves, its my belief that anyone with half decent card skills and experience can either work with these or around them entirely, finding new ways to achieve the same result, like me eliminating the bottom deal from 'Count to Aces'.
[quote]
On 2013-05-27 04:36, Xcath1 wrote:
It's called "simple math"
[/quote]

Xcath1,

Thanks for that answer. It is much appreciated.

Mike.
I´m mainly interested in Rainman. I would buy the DVDs if there is enough explanation on the DVD to be able to perform this with

- one
- borrowed
- shuffled

deck.
Please can someone clarify doubtless if this is the case? I would appreciate it when the answer would respond to all of these three aspects.

Thank you!!!
[quote]
On 2013-08-24 14:24, kollo wrote:
I´m mainly interested in Rainman. I would buy the DVDs if there is enough explanation on the DVD to be able to perform this with

- one
- borrowed
- shuffled

deck.
Please can someone clarify doubtless if this is the case? I would appreciate it when the answer would respond to all of these three aspects.

Thank you!!!
[/quote]

Rain man is performed with one borrowed shuffled deck. As most other routines on the DVD.

I honestly LOVE the DVD set. It has some incredible and extremely powerful material. All of the routines are workable and extremely fooling. Not to mention most of the routines are very easy to do. There's nothing difficult. I think the most complicated slieght is a bottom deal.
I fooled a bunch of magicians at magic live th stuff of this set. Has been very under the radar
It is killer stuff.... Stuff is super simple once you know the secret but think of how fooled you were when you first saw it. DVD is full of easy to very hard routines but
thankfully the majority fall on the easy side.

And yes rainman is done with a borrowed shuffled deck. But his second phase uses another deck but if you only want 1st then your good.

Ryan
I haven't had the chance to see Joe's DVD's yet, but I did just spend the weekend with him at the Session Convention.

It's been a while since I've seen card magic that both fooled the crap out of me and made me want to use it.

Joe's magic did both.

I haven't seen the dvd... but I can't wait!
Ben absolutely agree with you( enjoyed your lecture by the way). His manner / personality during performance was really a joy to watch. Bought his DVD on the back of it and will really enjoy watching.
Fortunately I bought the limited edition lecture notes (I already have the dvds). They were worth the money for his OOTW routine alone! Best version ever IMO!
Hi Guys,

We also have this DVD collection as an instant streaming video. http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Inscrutable-By-Joseph-Barry-Streaming-Version.html

Regards

Peter
Are the lecture notes available anywhere or were they just on sale at the Session?
They were limited to 100 copies. You'd have to contact Joe himself to see if they sold out but I'd be surprised if they didn't. He was a big hit!
A nice, clean set of effects. I try to do effects that really look like I do nothing and things just happen.
It has been a long time since I have been fooled by similar approaches and effects. This was a joy to watch.
Great ideas- with little changes here and there 2 effects are already in my arsenal for use with borrowed cards- I have different routines for my own deck, a new deck and a borrowed deck.
Highly recommended.
Gary
Just wondering if the effect at 5.30 is real and available:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGTMOKJRbIo

I would say, Mr. Barry is surely capable of doing such amazin magic, but a little bit, I have the feeling the Mr. Madison is a great actor too :-)
Did I miss this effect on the 2 DVD set which I like lots?
Best regards,
Marko
The video was taken down. What was the effect?
Literally watched the first trick on this DVD and there's already improper crediting the move for the "stop trick" type phase is a Bruce Cervon move from hard boiled mysteries. Joe mentions Marlos bottom deal stop trick move but goes to say "I do it this way" but that way is the exact move in hard boiled mysteries
Just got the inscrutable with a vip bundle from alakazam.... Curious about this.
Hopefully amazing stuff as usual from Peter nardi and everybody at alakazam
I went throu the first 3 routines and they are diabolical (prediction 2 is little more difficult to perform).
But overall this product looks fantastic.
My vote on that:
9/10
Am I the only one who thinks Rainman is totally obvious? I bet an astute spectator will know exactly how you did it.