(Close Window)
Topic: In praise of Doug Higley
"A strange crate of Amazonian treasures arrived at my door today. The return address was some University I'd never heard of, the Miskatonic. Inside the crate was a shrunken head, a necklace with what appeared to be some animal bones, a human thumb and ear; and the hand of some previously unknown species of monkey. What's weird, is that when I leave the room and then re-enter, they seemed to have moved. But I'm the only one home right now.."

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but I just have to reiterate what great products and customer service Doug Higley offers. These props were customized to my specs graciously and emails were answered promptly.

Brynmore
Lucky Ass!!
Also a proud owner of his work.
Good thing it was not opened by customs...

Doug's work is indeed amazing! I hope to own some pieces some day...
Doug's work is top shelf!
[quote]
On 2013-02-06 22:14, rklew64 wrote:
Lucky Ass!!
Also a proud owner of his work.
[/quote]

Got any pictures you'd care to share?
Here's a pic of my Higley swag. Great stuff!

[img]http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q597/bedford11/IMG_2382.jpg[/img]
[quote]
On 2013-02-06 20:52, Brynmore13 wrote:
"A strange crate of Amazonian treasures arrived at my door today. The return address was some University I'd never heard of, the Miskatonic. Inside the crate was a shrunken head, a necklace with what appeared to be some animal bones, a human thumb and ear; and the hand of some previously unknown species of monkey. What's weird, is that when I leave the room and then re-enter, they seemed to have moved. But I'm the only one home right now.."

I know I'm preaching to the converted here, but I just have to reiterate what great products and customer service Doug Higley offers. These props were customized to my specs graciously and emails were answered promptly.

Brynmore
[/quote]

And for those who own Doug's "Dark Museum" and haven't seen my story for the prop (I've posted it here before)... for your perusal and free for you to use if you want to (I know one person on this thread who is using this story)...

[quote]
The Museum Obscura (Doug Higley's "Dark Museum)

[i](In this routine I've created an addition to Outlaw Effect’s canonical universe of Cornelius Hobbs by creating a secret venture of Hobbs… the Museum Obscura, which may have been connected to the Sanctum Society. This is to create some thematic arcs that are used in a number of the other routines in this act… such as “Duel” and “Lillian’s Diary.” This “fan fiction” was created with permission of Rick Roth)[/i]

Even before Robert Ripley opened his first “Believe It or Not!” emporium of oddities, Cornelius Hobbs was touring the west with his Mysterious Wonder Tour. Part sideshow, part science… and some would say part nefarious… the travelling show brought the wonders of the world to small town America.

[i](Take out the Sanctum 4 – Wonder Tour card and have it passed around during the next part of your dialog. You are not using this card for an effect, but as a supporting prop to the back story)[/i]

There was one section in the show tent curtained off from the general public. Hobbs called this his Museum Obscura. That special canvassed room was reserved for certain, "elite" visitors. Now there were rumors that these "V.I.P." visitors were in fact members of a secret society known as Sanctum and Hobbs himself was indeed a member. Little information is known about this group. Some claim they date back to before the Knights Templar. And their connection to Cornelius Hobbs was vague… and purposely so.

[i](Take back Wonder Tour card at about this point in your dialog and put it away)[/i]

The year was 1901 and the Mysterious Wonder Tour was set up in the once populated town of Brookville Kansas. But now the town was but a shell of it’s former self, and the meager attendance at the Wonder Tour that week could hardly pay for the meals consumed by his wife and himself. And when the Brookville Hotel was ready to settle up for room and board, Cornelius didn't have the cash to pay the bill… so he cut a deal.

In exchange for the hotel bill Cornelius traded one of his personal exhibits to the hotel owner. [i](Take out the box).[/i] The owner didn't know that this box was one of the exhibits housed in the secret Museum Obscura. There were three items in this box any they came with a curse and a strange responsibility… he who processed the box could never get rid of it unless all three items were touched by another human being.

Inside was a bundle of leather [i](remove the leather package and note, place the package in front of you, note to one side, but don’t open the package yet.)[/i] along with a tattered folded note.

It wasn't long after the Mysterious Wonder Tour left town that the hotel owner wished he had never accepted this box as payment. Why? It could have had something to do with the three mysterious fires that started in his office… while he was sitting in his office. Perhaps it was the incessant ringing of his phone with calls from Room 101… which was odd… since there were no phones in any of the rooms. Perchance his customers were annoyed by the “guests” that visited their rooms… and then disappeared.

There were three “souvenirs” in this box that use to belong to a Peruvian shaman [i](start unwrapping the leather tote, revealing the head, the bony fingers and the monkey’s paw)[/i]. A shrunken head, some bony fingers and a mummified monkeys paw. Rumor had it that these items were stolen from the shaman as he laid on his death bed.

Brookville Kansas eventually became a ghost town, and it’s last remaining resident, the hotel owner, ended up penniless, crazy and roaming the empty streets of Brookville with this box tucked under his arm until the day he died.

I would like one of you to assist me in a demonstration of the unusual powers of these objects.

[i](Select a spectator using your favorite method)[/i]

Personally I’m protected from the influence of these items due to some incantations pass down by my family… [i](spoken as an aside)[/i] remember those witches and warlocks I mentioned earlier… and hopefully those spells will be strong enough to protect you too!

[i](Now have the spectator handle and select the items, according to the “Free Will” principle that is part of the “Dark Museum” instructions. If the spectator is “fearful” of touching and handling the items, you can ad lib a bit and humorously play up on their hesitations)[/i]

Did you really have free will in your choices… or did something else animate your decisions? I placed this note aside when I first open the box, and it has been sitting there, untouched for the last few minutes. Let’s read what is written on it.

[i](Proceed with the reveal according to the “Free Will” principle that is part of the “Dark Museum” instructions… you or the spectator reading out loud)[/i]

[i](Start packing all the items back in the box during the following dialog)[/i]

Congratulations. Since you touched these three items you can now take procession of them… if you want to accept the responsibility of ownership… and possibly entertain a visit from the Sanctum Society. [i](End the routine with a “tongue in cheek” wrap up)[/i] If you want, you can see me after the show so we can arrange a substantial payment.
[/quote]

Bizarre thoughts (apologies to Bob Cassidy)

Enjoy
Very nice! I will have to dust off my S4 now.

For those of you who have 3 No Evil and one of the heads, here is a link to Doug's site where you can find a routine I wrote for an appearing Shrunky Head from a lunch bag as a finale to 3 No Evil. Just scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://grindshow.com/GrindShow/3NoEvil.html
Doug also did a very nice voice over intro to my show last year.
He made twice as many tracks as I had asked for. Without asking any more money.
The voice is fantastic. the cost minimal.

A true star.

Steve
The Higley News Reel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA5vORiFLzQ
Might as well let everyone take a gander at my Higley shrine.As you can see I love his work!!
Necroloid and Mr. Higley...you can't see me, but I am on my knees right now, paying homage to what I am witnessing...awesomeness...in all of its glory.
Seriously though, that collection has me drooling necroloid. I have 3 Higley's and consider myself blessed. You sir, are officially a saint in the following of Higley.
Wow, what a great response to this thread. To everyone who shared photos thank you.

Al, thanks for posting your routine I shall study this.
Necroloid that is an awesome collection.
Bedford, the head appearance sounds sweet, and the glass case your shrunken head is in is looks very classy. Mind you so does the museum obscure box photo.
Doug has one of those voices made for voice over work. I was also thinking of getting him to do some recording for me at some stage.

Again, thanks all for sharing. Spooky is such a great forum.
Yes, that museum obscura box looks great! I am quite envious of the monkey paw.

One thing I should mention about the toe casket. I made it so the toe can move slightly (old school method like the severed finger in ring box you used to scare your elementary school chums with). Lots of fun, and no electronics to go bad (not that I don't have my share of electronic wonders. . .)
Thanks for all the nice comments!! Much appreciated!

Keeping the record straight:
The post by Al Desmond while maybe using my prop ideas is a creative variation on the Dark Museum routine, which is not related to Outlaw or Rick Roth. There is also a book written by Jim Magus 'Midnight In The Dark Museum' which contains many different routines and ideas using my props from over 30 'names' of top performers. Find it!
Note: The photo posted by 'afinemesh' is not of any of my stuff that I made originally and is from other sources not related.
[quote]
On 2013-02-08 15:00, Doug Higley wrote:
Thanks for all the nice comments!! Much appreciated!

Keeping the record straight:
The post by Al Desmond while maybe using my prop ideas is a creative variation on the Dark Museum routine, which is not related to Outlaw or Rick Roth. There is also a book written by Jim Magus 'Midnight In The Dark Museum' which contains many different routines and ideas using my props from over 30 'names' of top performers. Find it!
Note: The photo posted by 'afinemesh' is not of any of my stuff that I made originally and is from other sources not related.
[/quote]

I never said your product is related to Outlaw. I never said my routine is related to Outlaw. I said I got permission from Rick to use concepts from Outlaws universe of characters in my original routine. I give your props and inspiration credit in my title to the routine. And my routine is not a creative variation on the Dark Museum routine. It is a 100 percent original routine using your props (which I purchased second hand off of the Café "for sale" forum) and methodology. And my routine is not in a book, it was offered freely to the Magic Café population.

My whole use of your product and inspiration is a "praise to Doug Higley." But I'm not sure of your point? Just to keep the record straight
As artists and story tellers, it is great when we can combine different creators story arcs into one presentation, where each arc and it's corresponding props and even methodology mutually supports and enhances the other. The compounding effect can truly be dazzling. A parallel from the literary world can be found in the writings of Lovecraft and his proteges, writers like Derleth, Lieber and others, who used elements of Lovecraft's mythos, such as the Necronomicon and the Elder Gods, in such a way that they created a world that feels almost real.

As Bizarrists we should strive to do the same, IMHO.

Brynmore
Back down Al. I never said you said it was related. I was just seperating the releases as there has been some MINOR confusion in the past. I have nothing against Outlaw (GREAT STUFF! or Rick (A FRIEND) or you or ANYBODY...these threads last for EVER...thus keeping it straight so people know the difference.

The mention of the book is in the same spirit you posted the routine...to share information for those who also liked your post, that there is a lot available of that sort. I had nothing to do with the book (except designing the cover as a favor). YOUR routine is creative, excellent and yours...as you set the record straight. :) And would be a worthy addition to a 2nd book should Jim write one.
As artists and story tellers, it is great when we can combine different creators story arcs into one presentation, where each arc and it's corresponding props and even methodology mutually supports and enhances the other. The compounding effect can truly be dazzling. A parallel from the literary world can be found in the writings of Lovecraft and his proteges, writers like Derleth, Lieber and others, who used elements of Lovecraft's mythos, such as the Necronomicon and the Elder Gods, in such a way that they created a world that feels almost real.

As Bizarrists we should strive to do the same, IMHO.

Brynmore
Doug's work is top shelf - and my fav if all is the hugely eye I've used in so many routines...

I also have a Pygmy mummy he made me to go along with a ton if his stuff

Hey Doug is a VIP with good reason!!!!
I just love my HIGLEY objects, My ZIBIT is just a prize and I keep it on display in my living room when I am not using it for a flea market or a show.
My Dark Museum with the Monkey's Paw has had a lot of use and is definitely something that people remember me by. The Shrunken Head is still looking for a routine
but I have been considering getting 2 more made for a different set variation of The Dark Museum. It has it's mouth sewn shut so if I got one with the eyes sewn and the other with the ears- it could be the classic; HearNo, SeeNo, SpeakNo routine. Also his 'PK Eyes' are just wonderful little things and TEMPLAR (from Outlaw) around my neck is just perfect for activation or the PK ***n** I use for " L LUCY" on my knee or ankle (so I can use her off the SM board) also is just perfect for a look around the room. Before I discovered  HIGLEY and OUTLAW (on the Café' several years back)- I had an 'interesting' presentation but with the help of these skilled Artists, my Bizarre Routine has stepped into a higher class of entertainment being able to use the very best of what is available and I can't thank Doug, Rick or Tim and other producers of Quality Bizarre Items enough for taking our ART to the Highest Level. My very Alien looking (WHAT IS IT)- connects itself perfectly with a 10 lb. Steele the exact size of a Zombie Ball and helps me weave a routine using Al Snieder's (close up version) with a switch out during the program. Also the strange disappearance of the ZIBIT at the end of the Seance Blackout can cause some folks leaving the show feeling more than a little unnerved.

K

Life is not a problem to be solved....
but a mystery to be lived!
His Heads are really Something Special!
Thanks StPaul!

The set with the 3 shrunky heads is called THREE NO EVIL (as opposed to the post card set named 3 No Evil).
Truth in Advertising...my wife Lori came up with the names. ;-)

Since there are so many heads in the market place these days by others...I'm cutting back on making them. :)
Again thanks all for the kind words.
One of my cherished 'Higley's'.

http://tinyurl.com/a3wkf56
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Feb 14, 2013 11:11PM)
Oh, my gosh...RicHeka, you have got the Mammoth! I covet the Mammoth! I also dream of the little curled-up horse.
[quote]
On 2013-02-14 22:50, RicHeka wrote:
One of my cherished 'Higley's'.

http://tinyurl.com/a3wkf56
[/quote]

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
No Autumn...that's not THE mammoth you refer to...Rich has a tiny miniature 'pocket' version. The one pictured on my site etc is owned by Clifford Ball and was originally made for my own show and is a bit larger. (Which Clifford also has). There were a couple of other Mighty Mammoths made...just a few out there.
And thanks Rich. :)
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Feb 17, 2013 12:22AM)
A mini Mammoth! Even more amazing!
Shouldn't the Mammoth be stored in a trunk?

(sorry)
Hello Autumn and Bryn. Thank-you for your replys.

I must mention.....that Doug...initially.....was very humble with his personal assessment of the mini Mammoth that he created for me. Without elaborating...he felt he could have done better. Not true IMO!!!. When I saw it first hand...I envisioned a wonderful display piece. [Hey Oz....even in a 'trunk' this baby would look good LOL] {P.S. I know you were just joshing :)}

Below is another Higley I am proud to own. You will probably recognize her lovely countenance....she is featured on Doug's site, and also in his beautiful photographic book 'Museum:Mysteria'

Before ordering this beauty...I described to Doug the features I was looking for.

IMO...in true artist form....Doug met, and exceeded my expectations.

Thank-you!....Doug Higley.

http://tinyurl.com/cddzpqg

Rich
I love the photo of her on the ground amongst the leaves and had to laugh at the thought of some unsuspecting hiker coming face to face with her. Oh to be a fly on the wall.
I have 2 'zibs and one being 'Doug up' by the man himself. I look at them often and wonder, what is it!?!
With all of the crap going on in the world these days it's nice to see someone leave the tent with a great
smile plastered on their faces.

Thanks Doug :)
Following Doug's call to arms (or should that be 'call to heads') on FB, I've ordered the 3 no evil set. Looking forward to trying it out before showing the audience the actual shrunky head. I like the idea of having both 3 no evil and the dark museum as presentation options.
[quote]
On 2013-03-05 04:44, Brynmore13 wrote:
Following Doug's call to arms (or should that be 'call to heads') on FB, I've ordered the 3 no evil set. Looking forward to trying it out before showing the audience the actual shrunky head. I like the idea of having both 3 no evil and the dark museum as presentation options.
[/quote]

Agreed! I carry my set in leather envelope at all times, and have the sculpted props on hand when I want a more striking visual impact. The sculpted pieces also add atmosphere to other routines.

Chris
And don't forget his Voice Over work! He did a new intro for me last year and he was a joy to work with. A professional intro makes a huge difference when there's no experienced emcee to introduce you.
What more can be said of the man, the myth, the legend that is the Phantom of the Midway? Like all of you I have a collection of Higley props, voice overs and such...and don't lets forget Traps a Monte Mental as a straight magic meets sideshow meets mentalism script!
Currently the Phantom is making two more custom bits for my next ghost tour!

All Hail The Hig!

p.s. He is also a lover of movies both good and bad and a top level cranky old man politically. FYI.
G'Day

Anyone heard from Doug Lately? I have just placed an order for a Zib.. And wanted to clarify a problem I had with checkout. I am sure looking forward to one of these mini creatures as part of my act.

C
He always gets back. Not sure but it looks like Higley isn't making full size 'zibits any more. Sad.
[quote]
On 2013-10-12 22:09, JAlenS wrote:
He always gets back. Not sure but it looks like Higley isn't making full size 'zibits any more. Sad.
[/quote]

Yeah from what I read he isn't making the full size ones but the mini ones are still for sale on his website.
I have all of the mini-zibs save for the fish. I should have ordered some eyeballs a couple of months ago. Great stuff!!
Thanks for all the nice words. :) Appreciated. Im still at it by the way....despite rumors I started to the obverse. :)
Well in that case I'll PM you...
Another quite interesting adept:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/171154041383?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.ebay.de/itm/171154043098?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
http://www.abattoirlarue.com/
Nice work. Thanks for sharing the links.
Doug has just posted a clarification as to his retirement. He says he has retired certain product lines, but is still doing dark museum, 3 no evil and custom works. He seems to be tired of making the same old fullsize zibs over and over again. Doug seems to be shaking things up to reinspire himself. In that spirit I've ordered a custom zib, never before seen ;)
Thank goodness.
Dang Brynmore13...you know you'll have to post pics...
I'll post a link to some pics when the little one arrives. I have told Doug my idea, but only Doug knows what it'll look like. I'm looking forward to being surprised.
Who can forget his wonderful work on the Giant Claw ?
Truly better than a battleship.
Very exciting, Brynmore13. I know that sometimes anticipation can be better than what you're waiting for, but in this case I have a sneaky suspicion it won't be! Looking forward to the pics!
I suspect you are correct.
Doug Higley, please stand forward. I've been trying to contact you regarding a special order.

Thanks!
I usually contact him on facebook. And get very rapid responses.
I've spoken to Doug in the last couple of days, so he is available.
Facebook is the method we use to communicate.
One of Doug Higley's shrunken heads has turned up on the big auction website. One of you might be interested. (Awaiting the inevitable "how many heads.." question.)
I'm here on occasion. :-) The facebook is https://www.facebook.com/Higleys (Small Private list of 300 'friends' so MESSAGE there to get attention).
PM here or eMail through my websites http://grindshow.com or http://lionpoint.com EASY! Not exactly in hiding. :-) :-)