(Close Window)
Topic: "JOL"Jaks Wallet from E. Raymond Carlyle
Just received the "JOL Wallet" from my good friend and master mentalist, Ed Carlyle.

This is a tri-fold Jaks style business card case that's been finely crafted in leather by Jerry O'Connell. The wallet is beautiful and completely innocent in appearance. It comes with excellent handling instructions by Carlyle.

I like this a lot and, as it is the best made Jaks wallet I've ever seen, I give it my highest recommendation.

Details at: http://www.carlyletouch.com/Jaks_Wallet.html

Good thoughts,

Bob
I was waiting this wallet from long time!!
I made a mini review of it 'downstairs' last year, but just to add - yes, this is a beautiful little card-case/wallet... the photo makes it look like the leather is kinda grainy, but mine is smooth and sleek...

I don't go in for 'magician foolers', but I was out chatting with a few last year, and they wanted to see something, so I revealed a recent memory of one of the guy's there, using this wallet... what made it fun was, I knew he and his friends were burning me, and they were all pontificating as to 'how', leaving me giggling, sipping my pint...

anyway - its a classy looking case/wallet - and is the only one I use these days (after being a wallet addict for many years)... looks great, works fantastically, very easy to use...what more could you ask for?
I should also add, for those that use envelopes, this case holds a kollosal killer sized envelope perfectly...
Ed showed it to me via Skype and it looks great (he has a top noctch camera). The prototype has the grainier leather I associate with my JOC Himbers but the ones for sale are a very nice smooth leather. And of course Ed's handling is smooth too!
In one of my earlier books I described my routine with the Jaks Wallet that uses the cards from the game of Clue (or Cluedo to our English brethren). If three cards are selected and inserted sequentially, you can identify all of them.

Good thoughts,

Bob
I have a SUC and SAW. Would this Jaks provide a better or more practical p..k than the other mentioend wallets? Would the Jaks be more suited for certain effects or routines than the other wallets?

Thank you.
Michael
I use the Jaks wallet for p**ks and the SUC for stealing, switching, loading. They both can be used for PW, but the Jaks offers a larger writing space and a slightly more solid base.
Mr. Cassidy,

Thank you very much for your comments. They were very helpful. I will be ordering the Jaks wallet.

Best wishes,
Michael
Note that if you want to use the Jaks for PW, you'll have to cut out the clear plastic that covers the window.
[quote]
On 2013-02-13 02:21, mastermindreader wrote:
Note that if you want to use the Jaks for PW, you'll have to cut out the clear plastic that covers the window.
[/quote]

Would that effect the workings of the wallet in anyway?

Michael
No Michael it wont make a differet. Tannens ones didn't have plastic just you know what.
Message: Posted by: handcreftedreality (Apr 17, 2013 10:28AM)
How many business cards It can contains and the P*** It's done with wallet closed or into the action of closing It?
About a dozen I'd say.

The **** can be done either way. There are many handlings possible.
What Bob said.

When I purchased this from Ed, he was gracious enough to walk me through several handlings via Skype. If you're on the fence about this, get it; you won't be disappointed.
Message: Posted by: handcreftedreality (Apr 29, 2013 08:07AM)
I purchased It, I'm waiting It! Ed shows me the handlings, clean and smooth.
Just a note to say that there are only three JOL Jaks Wallets left on Ed's website, and there will be no more.

Here's the link: http://www.carlyletouch.com/Jaks_Wallet.html

Cheers,
Jerry
Only 3 left and no more.
Differences between this wallet and the new tony miller peek one?
Thanks/Fabio
I love the simplicity and boldness of this design. I was quite pleased when I received mine.
Can it be used as an everyday wallet?
[quote]
On Mar 23, 2014, Jerskin wrote:
Can it be used as an everyday wallet?
[/quote]

It's more like a tri-fold leather credit/business card case than a wallet. In a pinch you could use it to hold some cash and ID, but I personally wouldn't. I use mine just to carry billets and business cards.

It's slightly larger than the average business card case, but significantly smaller than a regular wallet.
It is totally different that miller's wallet. Tony's is a wallet bi fold and this one is a very slim trifold business card holder. They also operate differently
Now sold out!
It's sold out!!!
It is a fantastic wallet, I am glad that I own two of them. I use it specifically for one routine to get three peeks in a row. I do not know any other device that would offer this facility so clean and easy. Jan
If this one made by JOL will be wonderful
It is wonderful, but JOL isn't making them anymore.
[quote]On May 27, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
It is wonderful, but JOL isn't making them anymore. [/quote]

Just curious as to why this is? anybody know? Glad I bought three!!!
Yes, I love it too and own two fortunately... if you hurry up you still can get it here:
http://www.izzywizzymagic.co.uk/magic-wallets/the-jerry-o-connell-informer-mentalist-wallet.html
Jan
[quote]On May 28, 2014, JanForster wrote:
Yes, I love it too and own two fortunately... if you hurry up you still can get it here:
http://www.izzywizzymagic.co.uk/magic-wallets/the-jerry-o-connell-informer-mentalist-wallet.html
Jan [/quote]
Availability: Out of stock
Sorry, when I posted the link it was still available... But for sure there were not many left. Somebody at least got lucky here. May be he comes out right now ... :) Jan
Just for information, Jerry (JOL) sent me an email this afternoon with the following message about the Informer peek wallet:
[quote]They are not discontinued I have them in stock.[/quote]

I've ordered myself a backup.

http://www.leatherjerry.com/new_page_1.htm
Called the Informer Wallet
Good luck, I gave up my correspondence with Jerry although his work is outstanding. Jan
[quote]On Jun 3, 2014, MatCult wrote:
Just for information, Jerry (JOL) sent me an email this afternoon with the following message about the Informer peek wallet:
[quote]They are not discontinued I have them in stock.[/quote]

I've ordered myself a backup.

http://www.leatherjerry.com/new_page_1.htm [/quote]

Received the wallet from Jerry this morning. Quick and efficient service and great communication.
[quote]On Jun 9, 2014, MatCult wrote:
Received the wallet from Jerry this morning. Quick and efficient service and great communication. [/quote]

That's great news!

Does it have the JOL logo on it? That's the only thing that outs me off. I have a Himber from Jerry from years ago, and it doesn't have JOL on it.
It does have the JOL mark, but that's no biggie for me. I've changed my name by deed poll to Jessica O'Leary.
I ordered but no reply fom Jerry... waiting mine :/
He doesn't respond to my e mails.
[quote]On Jun 9, 2014, Jerskin wrote:
He doesn't respond to my e mails. [/quote]

Mine too...I sent him many emails about another thing I need...never replied!...
:sawingchick:

Contacting Jerry.
I can answer questions about the products or have a chat about magic.
Home: +44(0)2083871172
jerry@leatherjerry.com

anyone from UK can give him a call?

i want my wallet :bawl:
I'm looking to buy one if anyone has a an extra or one they're not using.
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, lucavolpe wrote:
[quote]On Jun 9, 2014, Jerskin wrote:
He doesn't respond to my e mails. [/quote]

Mine too...I sent him many emails about another thing I need...never replied!... [/quote]

I emailed Jerry using the email address on his website indicating I would like to buy one of his wallets. No response. I think he must only want to sell to customers in the UK or France, although there's no mention of this on his website.

Not to respond to a customer's inquiry about a purchase is a very poor business practice.
No worries, though. I ordered a Complete Peek wallet from my favorite dealer instead.
I wonder why he is calling a Jaks wallet by a different name?
I called him this weekend and he explained that he is already too old to keep up with the current technology demands.

He told me that is thinking getting someone to help him and would ship mine this monday. Let's wait :)
[quote]On Jun 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I wonder why he is calling a Jaks wallet by a different name? [/quote]
I think he does so as it is slightly modified by adding a folding function to it. It is a clever thing :). Jan
It's exactly the same in construction as the Jaks Wallet marketed by Tannens back in the 1970's. (The JOL, though, is of far better quality.)

The original Jaks Wallet, as described by Stanley Jaks, was a bifold, not a trifold. But, as I said, the trifold version came out shortly thereafter and the device was still called a "Jaks Wallet."
[quote]On Jun 21, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
It's exactly the same in construction as the Jaks Wallet marketed by Tannens back in the 1970's. (The JOL, though, is of far better quality.)

The original Jaks Wallet, as described by Stanley Jaks, was a bifold, not a trifold. But, as I said, the trifold version came out shortly thereafter and the device was still called a "Jaks Wallet." [/quote]

Mastermindreader, do you know a source that sells a "Jaks Wallet" currently? Recently purchased your Billet Killers video from Penguin, which was wonderful. Your discussion about and demonstration of the Jaks Wallet was excellent, and I would like to get one, if possible. Tried contacting Jerry O'Connell of JOL in England, but like others have written, no response at all.
So was the Zapp wallet akin to the 'original' Jaks wallet? I actually quite liked the Zapp.
I have a couple of zapps, they are handy to have, and cheap and cheerful...zapps are billfold though...
Yeah, with Bob saying the original Jaks was bifold I assumed it would be similar! That's assuming you meant bifold, my zapps aren't billfold! All this this wallet terminology hey :-) I like the simplicity of the zapp, never felt the need to do any of the paddle move convincers though, I just get on with it! I mainly use the zapp for PW now after taking a knife to it!

They come in brown too :-)
Yeah, stupid phone...bifold...

and yes, I hack mine too, just a little...
I love the paddle move with the Zapp. Do it as you put a rubber band around it to make it 'safe'.
Thanks for the zapps suggestions. Will pick one up.
[quote]On Jun 23, 2014, j100taylor wrote:
I love the paddle move with the Zapp. Do it as you put a rubber band around it to make it 'safe'. [/quote]

Yeah I can see how that would work! Horses for courses I suppose. To my mind if everything was as it should be ;-) it would be safe anyway. Adding the band could suggest this isn't really the case. Where does it become too much? put it in a locked box after the band? I do like the idea though, I may have a play with it as a way to get the peek.
For Bob C:

I really like your peek with the rubber band. But I've also asked myself whether this approach makes the wallet too prominent in the spectators' minds.

The standard peek philosophy is to make the spectators forget there ever was a wallet or writing on a card. Thus the ploys of getting the peek as you casually put the wallet away in your shirt pocket, or getting the peek with Carlyle's "do you mind if I keep this?"ploy.

I like your rubber band idea because it makes the wallet appear peek-proof to skeptical types (and it's just fun to pull off!). But what about the issue of giving the wallet a prominence that may not be desirable?

If you feel like addressing this point, great -- and thanks!

Cheers,
Jerry
Hi Jerry-

You're right. I devised the peek with the rubber band for a very specific routine involving Clue cards. In that context it worked fine.

Note that you have to have a rubber band wrapped around the case when you first take it out. Thus it is a bit less obtrusive than if you later just added the rubber band after the card was inserted.

Also note that when I use the rubber band I hand the case to the participant to put into his own pocket.
Thanks, Bob, for the clarification, I feel better now... :) Jan
Hey Bob,

Thanks so much for elucidating the question.

Having the rubber band in place from the outset no doubt helps it register as just part of the package, and giving the wallet to the spectator justifies the extra "security" measure.

I too now feel calmer . . . :)

Cheers,
Jerry
All is now well with the world. :eek:
[quote]On Jun 23, 2014, IAIN wrote:
I have a couple of zapps, they are handy to have, and cheap and cheerful...zapps are billfold though... [/quote]

Thanks for the zapps suggestion...bought one and find it quite useful. Still really like the Tony Miller Complete Peek, but Zapps is great too.
Jerry- You might also consider using a black elastic hair tie, assuming your case is black. Might seem like it came with the case.
[quote]On Jul 28, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Jerry- You might also consider using a black elastic hair tie, assuming your case is black. Might seem like it came with the case. [/quote]

The black elastic hair tie is a great tip. Thank you for sharing that. Have started using that with my zaps.
I am looking to replace one of my wallets and after all the great comments will most likely go with one of these. Thanks!
Does anyone know if this wallet will be back in stock or is it still available somewhere?
[quote]On Sep 7, 2014, otreboR wrote:
Does anyone know if this wallet will be back in stock or is it still available somewhere? [/quote]

Great news! I was looking on Carlye's website and saw the wallets are back in stock!!

http://www.carlyletouch.com/Jaks_Wallet.html
Good!
Just ordered mine. Can't wait to get hands on with it. Bob's handling sold me on this.

Bob, do you have any material regarding this wallet published? I saw you speak briefly about it in the Billet Killers.

Matthew
I also would just like to say that Ed Carlyle is such a standup guy. I remember when I was looking for an aged haunted key years ago. I stumbled across his website and discovered that he aged them and sold them. To my dismay, he was completely sold out. I asked him when he expected to have them back in stock. He said it would be quite a while, but I need not worry, as he was sending me his personal key.

His haunted key is by far the best I've ever found. I've used about 7 different ones.

Cheers Ed.

Matthew
[quote]On Sep 30, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
I also would just like to say that Ed Carlyle is such a standup guy.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. His haunted key is wonderful. His haunted key instructions are even better.

It's always a pleasure dealing with Ed.
Received mine today. Very nice. I don't carry much with me so I can use it as an everyday wallet.
I too received mine today. I'm thinking of putting some kind of credit card slots in it. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be, which is nice. I plan on doing a review after I've given it some work.
I'm sure you'll find it very useful. As I have pointed out many times before, it is really more of a business card case than a wallet. Also, the Jaks Wallet has been around for over half a century and is a standard utility item. The JOL model is beautifully made but, in operation, size, etc. it is the same as earlier models, so I'm not sure what the value of a review would be. Unless, of course, you're referring to Ed's excellent instructions and handling.
Bob,

I was mainly referring to the quality of Ed's leather and how well it will hold up. That has been my main concern with all of my past wallets. The leather has been cheap and always breaks down. Ed's wallet seems to be the best leather I've ever come across.

One thing I don't understand about the wallet however is the middle section. It is open on both sides, so it kinda prevents you from safely holding any cards in that slot, since they can fall out from the other side.

Was this intended for something specific?
I have business cards in that center section and they don't fall out. Try adding a few more, so the bulk holds them in?

Cheers,
Jerry
[quote]On Oct 7, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
Ed's leather[/quote]

These wallets are made by Jerry O'Connell in the UK AFAIK.
Comment to those w email and ordering problems; I had no problems with contacting or corresponding by email. Order placed easily and product received in good time from central USA.
These wallets are great, really happy with mine. I live in the U.K and got mine from www.propdog.uk 😄
Www.propdog.co.uk/
Thanks freddan, yes that one. 😄
Thank you tricket 360. I will order one from them
[quote]On Sep 30, 2014, MatthewSims wrote:
Just ordered mine. Can't wait to get hands on with it. Bob's handling sold me on this.

Bob, do you have any material regarding this wallet published? I saw you speak briefly about it in the Billet Killers.

Matthew [/quote]

I know this is an older thread, but I was wondering, Bob, if you could lead us to what book your handling of the Jaks wallet is written up in?

Thanks!
If you're a video learner, Billet Killers from Penguin shows his handling of the wallet.
I've shown my handling at lectures but I don't believe I ever wrote it up.
Sorry, Bob. I meant to ask in which of your books can the "Cluedo" routine be found?
[quote]On Jan 26, 2015, gabelson wrote:
Sorry, Bob. I meant to ask in which of your books can the "Cluedo" routine be found? [/quote]

I thought it was in the original "The Art of Mentalism," but that was my Trivial Pursuit routine. I know I demonstrated the routine at a lecture I did for a Thirteen invitational in the mid-80's but I no longer have copies of those notes.

Maybe I should write it up again.
I, (selfishly, of course), would love to read your write-up, Bob. I bought Ed's wonderful Jaks, and based on your description of the routine, it sound wonderful!
This is a fantastic wallet at a great price. I am using this as my everyday wallet (since I like the smaller size). I really don't carry much cash so this is not a problem for me. The quality is outstanding and Caryle's service is excellent. Highly recommended!
How many busines cards will this wallet hold?
There's two panels to put stuff in, I'd say around 30-40 cards...

i bought a back-up one this week, always really liked this JOL version...
Just did a count, 15 in the bottom pocket, and 15 in the middle panel...
Thanks Iain, seems ample.
Oh and if you have that powerball effect, with the scratchcards, they fit in the case too..its a tiny bit tight, but it does fit in them ok...
If anyone is looking for a like-new Jaks wallet, I have mine up for sale:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=579369&forum=76
PB60 is always in my wallet. Too good to leave at home
Penguin now carries the JOL Jaks Wallet, and very reasonable, too:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S19208
I've just ordered mine from Penguin, I'm looking forward to it... seems deceptive and yet bold enough for me :)
EE,

You'll love it. Be sure to download Bob's Billet Killers and watch his handling of it.
I've just received the wallet... very nice! it's very elegant and it's so thin... and the window is really big! I think I'll order another one :lol:

Matthew- I love it! and thank you for the suggestion, I already watched Bob's billet killers and the handlings are great :)
I'm pleasantly surprised.
I like this better than my Pantera V.2

Like many others, Bob pushed me to it.

Maybe one day,
I can combine all these wallets,
into one giant p**k atache case....hmmm.

I can see the add copy now;

"FULL p**k area! You will NOT miss this one! "
Much to my dismay, I now own more peek wallets than I care too. The Mystic is very well made, and I like it a lot. But the JOL Jaks Wallet is currently my favorite. Simple, elegant, deceptive, especially with Bob Cassidy's handing taught on Billet Killers.
It's been more than a year ago since I bought this, and I still love it! I use it a lot in casual settings (not for stage) and it's still in very good conditions. The quality of this product is excellent.

Since it's a business card case (not a wallet) I use it to carry around my business cards when I go out, so when I use it no one thinks twice about it.
Highly recommended.
I agree, it is excellent, I use it all the time and keep most of the time my business cards in it. So people are used to it. Jan
I didn't like it at the start, but now I use it mostly for 'magic square' routine, and I like my sneaky idea of impudently holding it in my right hand, and pointing at the pen the spectator is holding (saying: 'I will also need that').
It's great now, simple, elegant, sneaky, the wallet is also perfect for holding a few business cards for other routines, convenient to carry around. It is also possible to make slots by cutting the leather, then it looks more like a casual wallet, not business card case (not my idea).