(Close Window)
Topic: The Incredible Burt Wonderstone Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn1wR1V9dqs

Check out the trailer for this moveie and tell me what you guys think.
I read about this a few weeks ago, and I only hope it will be a shot in the arm for magic, and not an impediment or a detriment.
It's just around the corner.
Looks fun. They seem to be throwing some in-jokes into it. Anyway, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
True. I hope it's positive toward magic and not derogatory.

Also, I'd love to know if these guys had to learn some actual sleight of hand skills, or if they had to depend on cgi and special effects.

Also would like to know who they employed as magic consultant on the set.
I got screening tickets to see this Movie Tonight through the local magic club.

I am expecting a lot of subtleties which only Magicians will get such as Jim Carry as the bizarre Magician Cris Angle, etc.

I give a report tomorrow. (3/12/13)
A friend and I too had free tickets to see this tonight. Unfortunately it Magic Monday here in Seattle (7:00p.m. Third Place Books in Ravenna) So we can't make the sneak.

So we'll probably wait till it comes out on video as it's getting pretty blasé reviews ad has only rated a 46% on Rotten Tomatoes. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incredible_burt_wonderstone/

Looks like a fine movie to see for free. Butr there are far better movies to spend time and money one than this one.
'Now You See Me' seems like a better movie because magic is secondary to the plot/storyline.
http://screenrant.com/now-you-see-me-movie-trailer/
Agreed with producers not to comment on this movie until opening night. PM
Saw it. Liked it. But I still greatly prefer "The Great Buck Howard."

Good thoughts,

Bob
Yeah, that was great. I'm usually not much of a John Malkovich fan, but he nailed it.
:hysteric:

That trailer is hillarious!

Can't wait to see it...

Jim Carrey as Criss Angel, YES!!!!!! :lol:

Best Casting ever!
[quote]
On 2013-03-11 10:14, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Looks fun. They seem to be throwing some in-jokes into it. Anyway, there's no such thing as bad publicity.
[/quote]

Both the starving in a box by Blaine and the falling out of it ala Franz Harary was beautiful... :lol:

And holding his urine for 7 days! A genius came up with that! :hysteric:
Two magic movies in the first quarter of 2013. The other is Now You See Me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MHDYZJWLXA
I am very much looking forward to seeing Wonderstone! Cant wait!

Glen
I think Jim Carrey is supposed to be a cross between Criss Angel and David Blaine. He looks more like Criss, but the 'sleep on a bed of coals for the evening', is more of a Blaine type stunt.

The reviews aren't great but I'm looking forward to it anyway. I was also looking forward to 'The Great Buck Howard' but it seemed to go straight to video. At least I don't remember it reaching the theaters here. I really want to see it but had kinda forgotten about it. I'll have to look for it on video.
I saw this movie a couple of nights ago.. I thought it was ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS !
Lots of magic 'in-jokes'..
I highly recommend it!
As said above, "Absolutely Hilarious" Lots of "in-jokes" that magicians can relate too.

I too highly recommend it for both magicians and family.

PG-13 rating because it said once the F-word, and a couple inferences about sex.

Jim Carry was awesome, and if you like him it is a must see.

If you have negative feelings about bizarre magicians, you will laugh a lot.

I will rent it again when it comes to cable on demand and watch it another time when it is released to cable TV.

I normally don't watch comedies, but this was really funny to me.

What made it even more enjoyable, a member of our Local SAM was an extra in the background. So far everyone who saw it with us (13 of us) loved it.

Spoiler: David Copperfield's audience vanish is revealed ;) :) :giggles:
Wow. Really? I wonder if they got David's approval.

I got to be part of his audience vanish when he performed here in SLC. At one point during the vanish, he personally met with everyone involved and requested that no one reveal anything and explained how revealing the vanish would negatively effect the jobs of quite a few people who help out on the show as they would need to replace the effect with something else. Unless he is no longer performing this effect, I can't imagine he would be happy.
Copperfield was a consultant in the movie and has a short cameo..
Watch the film and you will find the humor in the above post regarding the audience vanish..
This film made me laugh harder than any film I have see in a very long time!
SEE IT!
All 3 of the movies mentioned in this discussion look highly entertaining to me.
I hope we didn't see all of the good parts in the trailer.
[quote]
On 2013-03-15 16:40, NicholasD wrote:
I hope we didn't see all of the good parts in the trailer.
[/quote]

There were good parts in the trailer? :)
Well just got back from the 5:30 showing. Theater was mostly empty and only two people were at the previous showing.

I went in with pretty low expectations for this film. Yet the movie still failed to meet them. The film had a couple of mild chuckles. But there were no laugh out loud moments. What few jokes there were were badly telegraphed or the timing completely wrong.

To be fair I'm not a big Steve Carell fan, and even less of a Will Ferrel one. So to watch Carell trying to do Ferrel for me was extremely painful.

The only glimmer of hope this film had was the scenes with Alan Arkin. But they were too few and far between to save the movie.

All in all I'd say "Wait for DVD" then you could use it as a coaster so it at least would serve a useful purpose.

The only high point of the evening was that I got to fill out a survey about the movie as I was leaving the theater. So at least I could tell them their movie was less, far, far less than stellar.

Burt Wonderstone --- Bad for magic, bad for Movies.

If you want to see a far better film about the foibles of a pair of magicians try to find a copy of the Turkish film Hokkabaz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3RGPX7ar8
- I agree that the Alan Arkin character was the strongest character.
I disagree that Steve carell Was doing a will ferell.
This movie obviously had a script unlike most Ferrell movies.
I thought the take on S & R and chris angel were very funny.. And there was a lot of attention to detail here too..Even down to the 'just off timing' of the switch with the hangman illusion. I loved the line about the Elmsley count..
thought the archetypes in this movie were well pulled off.
The message to this movie should be taken to heart by a lot of magicians and performers.. Yes, I actually got something out of this..
Too many of us never change and get stuck in a rut with our shows.. Forgetting why we started doing this magic game in the first place.
I usually take anything that master payne says as gospel, and of course peoples enjoyment of movies vary greatly..but I respectfully disagree with his
Panning of this motion picture and still urge everyone to check it out.
Comedies are hard to recommend because of the many difference in what people think "funny is". I went in a good mood, and expecting it to be "so-so" and I was pleasantly surprised. It's OK that Payne didn't like it.

I have difficulty understand "British Humor" so I was surprised that I like a Monty Python movie.

There are so many "in" humor bits for magicians in this movie, the Elmsley count, quick "card change" but it wasn't a card that changed, audience vanish, stuck in a rut, etc.

I also can understand why a lay person may think this is an OK film.

Like many above, it's a night out with the potential of a lot of laughter.

Take a chance...you may find it putting a nice smile on your face. Have a drink before hand, relax, and watch the movie.
Just got back from the theatre. Took my mom to see it.

I thought it was pretty doggone funny! I got a kick out of it.
[quote]
On 2013-03-16 21:24, daffydoug wrote:

I thought it was pretty doggone funny! I got a kick out of it.

[/quote]

It seems you're one of the few. Most of the rest of the country wasn't so amused it seems.

From http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/17/disneys-oz-keeps-lead-at-box-office/?hp

Steve Carell’s “Burt Wonderstone” (Warner Brothers) was a disappointing third, taking in an estimated $10.3 million. This film, which received dismal reviews and a C-plus score from audiences in exit polls, cost $32 million to make.
While the film only got 39% approval from the critics, it nonetheless got 63% approval from audiences. (63% gave it a rating of 3 stars or higher)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incredible_burt_wonderstone/
I started watching "The Great Buck Howard" but haven't quite finished it. Rather a disappointment, actually. One of those films that seeks to achieve humor by ridiculing everyone in it. At least so far.
I don't care about reviews or what other's thought of the movie. With Steve Buscemi in it, I will watch it anyway. Steve Buscemi will always get me to the theatre or make a DVD purchase.
Thanks for posting.
Iven :patty:
Buscemi is great.

I enjoyed the film. It wasn't "The Prestige," but it had me laughing and I was entertained. And that's all I was hoping for.
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 07:10, mastermindreader wrote:
I enjoyed the film. It wasn't "The Prestige," but it had me laughing and I was entertained. And that's all I was hoping for.
[/quote]

Well said!
[quote]
On 2013-03-17 22:12, Payne wrote:

Steve Carell’s “Burt Wonderstone” (Warner Brothers) was a disappointing third, taking in an estimated $10.3 million. This film, which received dismal reviews and a C-plus score from audiences in exit polls, cost $32 million to make.
[/quote]

I never listen to critics when it comes to comedy movies. Critics generally have a different opinion on what is funny. Some people hate the "Three Stooges" slap-stick comedy, while others think the "Hangover" is funny.

This movie fits the well for most magicians, and a lot will go over the heads of critics.

This is one of those comedies one can't predict who will like it and who won't for varies reasons.

When most here on this Café thread recommend it, I would think most Café members should see it.
We had a group of 4 go watch it and we laughed all the way through it. I think it really is a movie for magicians. There were about 30 in the theater when we went and everyone was laughing. Everyone in our group said they'd like to see it again. But we all like Carell, Buscemi and Carrey anyway so...
I thought it was OK, it was funny and my wife and I laughed which is what I paid to do.

The plot was dumb but funny so not that bad I guess.

I do believe they will at least make back what they put into the film. However, it will by no means be a blockbuster hit.

Look at Silver Linings Playbook it only raked in about 2.5 million opening weekend which is pathetic now since its been out has made over 120 million I believe.

Burt Wonderstone made 10 million opening weekend so it still has a chance.

-Bobby
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 05:05, mastermindreader wrote:
While the film only got 39% approval from the critics, it nonetheless got 63% approval from audiences. (63% gave it a rating of 3 stars or higher)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_incredible_burt_wonderstone/
[/quote]

We are BRAGGING on 63%? Ouch...this sounds truly terrible. :P

I'm typically right in line with the critics, maybe because I've seen so many movies. Dunno. I really REALLY hope I'm wrong. Maybe the good thing is that now I have pretty much no hope of this being a decent movie and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. :)
Not BRAGGING on anything. Just reporting that more audience members liked the film than didn't.
[quote]
On 2013-03-16 00:46, Payne wrote:
If you want to see a far better film about the foibles of a pair of magicians try to find a copy of the Turkish film Hokkabaz. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c3RGPX7ar8
[/quote]

The trailer for Hokkabaz looks hilarious, but it doesn't seem to be available as a Region 1 DVD (U.S.). Bummer!

Going to see Burt Wonderstone on Thursday and couldn't care less about the naysayers. Carell + Carrey + Buscemi + magic is my kind of combo.
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 06:42, irossall wrote:
I don't care about reviews or what other's thought of the movie. With Steve Buscemi in it, I will watch it anyway. Steve Buscemi will always get me to the theatre or make a DVD purchase.
Thanks for posting.
[/quote]
Couldn't agree more about Steve Buscemi. I think his character, Nucky Thompson on Boardwalk Empire helped revive his career though; not that it needed reviving for me. He's always been at the top of his game in any performance I've seen. I'll see it on the big screen just to see Buscemi.
They were all pretty funny. I really got a kick out of the movie. Laughs are what count. And I got a lot of those.

As far as the critics? Most of 'em wouldn't know a good movie if it snuck up and bit 'em in the arse.
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 01:14, Bob1Dog wrote:

Couldn't agree more about Steve Buscemi. I think his character, Nucky Thompson on Boardwalk Empire helped revive his career though; not that it needed reviving for me. He's always been at the top of his game in any performance I've seen. I'll see it on the big screen just to see Buscemi.

[/quote]

It's too bad they gave him absolutely nothing to do in the film except sit around and look embarrassed. A tremendous waste of a good actor.
[quote]
On 2013-03-23 01:44, Payne wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

It's too bad they gave him absolutely nothing to do in the film except sit around and look embarrassed. A tremendous waste of a good actor.
[/quote]

Less is more. :ohyes:
[quote]
On 2013-03-23 01:44, Payne wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You said early on in this thread that you weren't going to go see the film and that you'd wait for its release on BluRay/DVD.

Are your later comments based on what some critics have said, or have you actually seen the film?
[quote]
On 2013-03-23 02:00, mastermindreader wrote:

You said early on in this thread that you weren't going to go see the film and that you'd wait for its release on BluRay/DVD.

Are your later comments based on what some critics have said, or have you actually seen the film?
[/quote]

I saw it last Friday at the Regal Meridian with my wife and about 20 other people in the audience. Apart from one guy in the back who laughed out loud several times. The rest of the audience were acting as if they were at a funeral. It's a truly bad film. I almost walked out. Something I haven't done at a film since mistakenly going to see Moulin Rouge a few years ago.
I Loved the movie Moulin Rouge. I just may like Burt Wonderstone.

If everyone in the audience was like me, you would not hear any laughter or sound at all except maybe a chuckle now and then. I don't show my pleasure or displeasure in public. A silent audience is not always a sign of displeasure. Maybe I'm wrong but this is just my take on things.
I'll watch it twice at the cinemas just for the Criss Angel Parody. :ohyes:
I saw it last week. I liked it. I thought there were a lot of funny parts and I thought the rediscovery of magic was sweet.

I made the mistake of having high expectations for the movie and was a little disappointed because I thought it could have been better, but I definitely did have a good time.
Well, it looks as though it has a great approval rating from those here in the Café......With the exception of Payne it seems like everyone else liked it.
It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen! I actually laughed three times! (and that was just from watching the trailer!!)

I still laughed two times during the actual movie! It was much much funnier than Schindler's List, during which I didn't laugh at all.

I'm a big Steve Buscemi fan, and I can't wait to see the return of Boardwalk Empire. Steve Carell is funny on the Office, so I think I'll watch a rerun of that tonight.

To be fair, there was one guy sitting two rows in front of me who was laughing out loud a lot during the movie (while he was texting).

The folks in this thread didn't have such a positive experience: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=503923&forum=44&start=30

All in all, if this is the type of movie people like, they will enjoy it. If they don't like this type of movie, they won't.
[quote]
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 06:42, irossall wrote:
Thanks for posting.
[/quote]
[/quote]
Agree about Buscemi. His son and my son used to play in the same band, and he's a really nice guy to boot. He did a lot of indie film early in his career and those performances are hilarious.
I really wanted to like the movie and I thought it was OK but really, the best stuff WAS in the trailer. EXCEPT for the end where they gave away the big trick. That had me practically falling out of my chair.

I think they made Steve Carell too unlikeable in the first half of the movie, so much so that you didn't really care if he pulled it out at the end or not. Maybe I was expecting too much. My wife only went to it because I wanted to see it and thought it was better than she expected.
I'd give it about a 7. It doesn't take itself seriously, and you can't, either, but accept it for what it is, and it's got funny moments and good in-jokes. I was LOL more than a few times.

Best line was when Buscemi said that the "Incredible" applied to both of them and Carrell says that's a hateful thing to say.
Moviewise it's not really that much a great movie. But for magicians I think it's definately a must-see. It has a few jokes in it that will make magicians laugh but will leave laymen clueless.

Btw: am I the only one who couldn't help thinking that this was basically Penn&Teller VS Blaine/Chris Angel?

And does anyone know the trick with the saltshaker and the pigeon?
[quote]
On 2013-04-21 09:39, Teepee wrote:
[/quote]

I tried it but I'm afraid the pigeon didn't survive the experiment.
Penn and Teller? I can't see the paralell.
Just saw it.
I liked it.
Saltshaker and pigeon? Easy: The solution is called CGI ;)
The end, when they reveal their last trick WAS Hilerious!!
And the theme of the movie can teach us also some stuff.
Just seen this & liked it.

They based Rance Holloway on Dai Vernon haven't they? Grumpy old grandfather of magic.
We watched it tonight and I thought some of it was just OK. If you weren't into magic, I'm not sure how entertaining this would be. Jim Carey crashing the kids b-day party didn't work and was painful to watch. The ending was dumb.

My wife, who knows the TT and silk vanish, got fooled by it. She said "I can't believe I didn't see the thumb". That's why that is STILL is a great trick.

The part that I really laughed at was Alan Arkin vanishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7EUUOdTp6g
[quote]

Btw: am I the only one who couldn't help thinking that this was basically Penn&Teller VS Blaine/Chris Angel?

[/quote]

Yup, I think you are, unless you're confusing Penn & Teller with Siegfried and Roy.

(And the saltshaker/pigeon trick is ancient. It's in Tarbell.)
I rented and watched this movie on my Kindle Fire. I enjoyed the movie very much and as soon as I can afford it, I am going to purchase the DVD.

I think the reason that many people did not like this movie is the fact that it is in the catagory of "Farse" and a little slapstickish. Many do not like slapstick/farse or even "camp" style of movie.

In my opinion, Jim Carey did an excellent job with his character. "Man in the Moon" was always my favorite Jim Carey film. Now I must ad "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone" to that small and hopefuly growing list.

My ONLY complaint about the movie was exposing the TT (Thumbtip, for the non-politicaly correct) and exposing the backpalm. I know that Penn & Teller did this years ago. I cringed then and I cringe now.

Why do we still say TT? I don't get it. The general public for the most part are not here on the Café but the general public do watch Penn & Teller and do go to the theatres to watch films like Burt Wonderstone. I don't get it :confused: .
[quote]
On 2013-03-23 02:45, Payne wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-23 02:00, mastermindreader wrote:

[/quote]

Audiences will affect your impression of a film. I saw ''The Muppet Movie'' on opening day at a ritzy theatre and was disappointed at how badly it dragged. A few years later, I saw the film at the Boston Worldcon and was amazed at how much better it seemed to be paced. The difference was that this audience was enjoying themselves. I just saw ''Burt Wonderstone'' on demand and enjoyed it a lot, not enough to pay the extra 11.99 to OWN a digital copy, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I saw it last Friday at the Regal Meridian with my wife and about 20 other people in the audience. Apart from one guy in the back who laughed out loud several times. The rest of the audience were acting as if they were at a funeral. It's a truly bad film. I almost walked out. Something I haven't done at a film since mistakenly going to see Moulin Rouge a few years ago.
[/quote]
I messed up that post. Sorry. The part from "Audience will affect - to - but I enjoyed it nonetheless" was mine. Sorry for not placing it correctly.
[quo.

Why do we still say TT? I don't get it. The general public for the most part are not here on the Café but the general public do watch Penn & Teller and do go to the theatres to watch films like Burt Wonderstone. I don't get it :confused: .
[/quote]

been wondering the same thing myself;)