(Close Window)
Topic: Vortex by Dan Harlan
[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/products/original/6410a-511bbd4c2ec86.jpg[/img]

Dan Harlan has a new release out.

"A spectator selects a card while the magician displays the card along with another of the same value. the two become visually connected, stuck in a strange time warp"

Trailer and description here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3218

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/dan_harlan.png[/img]
Great idea! Reminds me of the effect Spun Out but using a little mental ploy with two cards.

RNK
Dan's routine was typical Harlan. There have been gimmicks where the card morphs, but Dan worked it into a wonderful hypnotizing/revelation of the card they're thinking of. The clean-up looked so good. The 5 of D was showing...he returned the queens to their natural state and...the 5 of D was still showing. It's those little things that make big differences.

Zombie
This is what will set you apart from every other magician out there. I want it.
Sweet!
Wow. Just wow. Dan is now one of my favourite magicians. I loved Card-toon but I haven't brought any other trick by Dan. This looks really cool. I love the presentation and the price. Thanks Dan!
Such a great idea! So pretty! Bravo sir Harlan, bravo!
JM
Just placed my order. I honestly believe that this kind of thing will make you different from other "magicians" in your area. This doesn't look like a fake card. It looks like a moment of real impossibility. Especially since they examine both queens immediately afterwards. I'll be sure to post a review.
Ordered. Doesn’t take a whole lot of thought when I am considering effects by Dan... :)

Jim
I like the visual.
I second what Zombie said. The routining here is just great. I've run through the mechanics and it seems pretty simple, so I'll probably get this as I can see myself performing this one. I also like that you get 4 gimmicks. Looks great, Dan!
Like it!
You can always count on Dan.
A bit confused! I like Dan's stuff!
I clicked on link above to watch. It kept stopping!Got tired of trying to watch it!
I googled Dan Harlan Vortex,first link came up is..."Vortex by Dan Harlan Discontinued Product" and linked to penguin!
So,is this a re-release, & not a new effect?

The above link takes you to penguin,and says they have it,and some of you are posting ordered.
That is amazingly cool. Nice work Dan. Just ordered from Penguin.
Godzilla this is a new product and it is awesome. Dan Harlan is my favorite creator and this new release does not disappoint. I think this will go in the category of classic Harlan Effects like Cardtoon, Crazy 8's and more. I was at the shoot and the reactions we got for this were really strong.
[quote]
On 2013-02-22 00:58, Godzilla wrote:
I googled Dan Harlan Vortex,first link came up is..."Vortex by Dan Harlan Discontinued Product" and linked to penguin!
So,is this a re-release, & not a new effect?
[/quote]
Apparently when putting the item on their site, it was switched from one location to another. A simple electrodesign oversight, no big deal. Correct link is as given: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3218
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and words of encouragement. I'm thrilled with how well Vortex turned out and I know you'll get a lot of use out of it.
--Harlan
I ordered but haven't received any email confirmation.
Man, this is just pure awesomeness. I love it.
Love it, what a great idea.
Like you said visual and impossible. Also looks to be a fair price.
That looks crazy!! Well done, Harlan
I'm impressed but also depressed as its not available in the UK. :(
Thanks,Dan & Ted!
It did google that way,and was curious if I had missed one of Dan's releases,prior! :)

~G
That looks great! I hope it's not too shiny. Because it looks a bit shiny.

That never held James Brown back I know. But I'm curious to know what it's made out of.

DD
I thought the same thing Don, but I ordered anyway. I doubt the spectator would notice an extra shine while the middle of two cards are warped together in a spiral. :D
Agreed :)

[quote]
On 2013-02-22 20:42, Magic.Maddy wrote:
I thought the same thing Don, but I ordered anyway. I doubt the spectator would notice an extra shine while the middle of two cards are warped together in a spiral. :D
[/quote]
Mr. Dasher, have no fear! The slight shine you notice is due to the fact that I was using my own homemade gimmick (which I've used countless times in performances) for the video. The manufactured gimmicks are so much better and match the finish of a playing card exactly.
--Harlan
[quote]
On 2013-02-23 00:19, DanHarlan wrote:
Mr. Dasher, have no fear! The slight shine you notice is due to the fact that I was using my own homemade gimmick (which I've used countless times in performances) for the video. The manufactured gimmicks are so much better and match the finish of a playing card exactly.
--Harlan
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, Dan! That was THE ONLY thing I was slightly worried about :)
I am still having fun with The Awakening and now another great one.

Dan, you must have a hard time turning your brain off when you try to go to sleep at night.

Very unique ideas you come up with.
[quote]
--Harlan
[/quote]

Dan, does Penguin have an exclusive or will other dealers including yourself be selling this?
I want to buy Stash and Vortex. Penguin sells Vortex but no Stash, and Dan's site sells Stash but no Vortex. Why is this?
Stash is very good. I'd like to buy from Dan directly if possible.
I will have Vortex on my site (soon, I hope... eventually, for sure) when I receive some from Penguin. So, if you don't mind waiting a bit to order from me, that's cool... or if you want to order from Penguin, that's cool too. Just so you know, I try to choose my manufacturing/distribution methods to keep retail prices reasonable (I know, crazy, right?). So, Vortex required a source with which Penguin aready has an established relationship, but Stash is hand-made by me. I don't know if Penguin has any plans to open Vortex up to a wider distribution or not... that is entirely up to them.
--Harlan
[quote]
--Harlan
[/quote]

Thank you for that info Dan.

Shine on you crazy diamond.

DD
[quote]
On 2013-02-23 12:33, DanHarlan wrote:
I will have Vortex on my site (soon, I hope... eventually, for sure) when I receive some from Penguin. So, if you don't mind waiting a bit to order from me, that's cool... or if you want to order from Penguin, that's cool too. Just so you know, I try to choose my manufacturing/distribution methods to keep retail prices reasonable (I know, crazy, right?). So, Vortex required a source with which Penguin aready has an established relationship, but Stash is hand-made by me. I don't know if Penguin has any plans to open Vortex up to a wider distribution or not... that is entirely up to them.
--Harlan
[/quote]
I can wait a bit to order directly from you. Thanks Dan!
Just received this. I haven't watched the DVD yet but let me just say, these gimmicks are INCREDIBLE. It looks SOOO good. And not glossy at all. It really fools the eyes. Cant wait to watch the DVD.
Got mine today, and I agree the gimmicks are very well done. THe DVD - like most of Dan's - is short, clear, and shows all you need to know, without any unnecessary talk!

Another DH effect that is well worth the price!

Thanks!

Jim
I just received mine a few days ago. It is very well made and the DVD is great! It is amazing that such a subtle little different way of exibiting a couple cards can create such a baffling effect.

Nice work, thanks Dan.

KJ
Hey guys,

I was just in Blackpool meeting Tim Trono of Penguin Magic when I got a notification from them that Vortex was released. That was kind of magic.
I hope I am allowed to say that I setup and printed the cards and that it was great fun to work with Dan on that. His design needed some colour tweaking to be properly printed at USPC, so I had to start from scratch and could not use his original files he sent. Dan's use of Photoshop filters to achieve this surreal look was perfect, I could not achieve that on my own and I think that I am a Photoshop expert. So Dan walked me right through, what a great experience, it is rare to meet another expert in graphics who knows what he does.

At that time I just saw a very raw handling of the gimmick and was not sure how to get in and out, but the final demo presentation is genius.

I hope you notice that the gimmicks you get are in Bicycle (Maiden) as well as Phoenix back design. Penguin really believes in the future of the Phoenix Deck being an optional standard for magicians. I should really get in contact with them to also carry that effect, I bet it will be fun demonstrating it at conventions and to offer it there.
I concur. It was an absolute pleasure to work with Card-Shark on this and the beautiful results speak for themselves. I'm always concerned when I have to hand over art to a second party, because I was a full-time graphic designer (since 1983) and part-time professional magician before reversing those roles. That should clear up any mystery regarding my knowledge of PhotoShop! I was actually one of the first users of the 1984 "toaster" known as a Macintosh, and subsequently an original "power-user" of all graphics-related programs... including Photoshop. So, I was thrilled to hear that my original files (good enough for me) would be replaced with exact hi-res color matched art... and then, my typical concerns were quelled when I started speaking tech-geek about how I created the art, and Card-Shark understood me! Yay!
--Dan Harlan
Is the deck in the other hand required to perform the trick?
Maxeroo,

It may not be necessary, but it helps to sell the effect, and it helps to end clean.

On a very separate note, you can't hand out the merged cards for close examination. I don't think that is an issue, as there are many good effects that can't be handed out. Also, handing out props is something that IMO we all have to figure out a way to avoid, even if they can be inspected, because it is not very entertaining for the rest of the spectators to sit around and wait for the "cynic" in the group to fully examine everything. I think a good routine shows what needs to be showed and doesn't get bogged down in turning over the "entertainment" to someone who wants to inspect something.

I think it is best when magic is entertainment, not a challenge. I don't ask to look down the throat of a singer, I don't think people should ask to examine our pockets and props.

You may not have been asking because of this, but perhaps others might be wondering, it came to mind, and I thought I would share.

KJ
[quote]
On 2013-02-27 14:35, Maxeroo wrote:
Is the deck in the other hand required to perform the trick?
[/quote]
Technically... no... but to do it the way I do it, yes, absolutely. In my performance, I use the entire deck of cards. I am doing something which involves all of the cards. The deck is normal and has been "in play" for quite some time. I merely take out the two queens (which are examined) and then "visibly fuse them together in a vortex!" I peel the queens apart and continue using the deck. There is nothing gimmicked about the deck itself, and... if you have moderate skill... the deck may be thoroughly inspected before and after the effect, but I can't imagine why that would be necessary or desirable.

Actually, I can imagine a possibility that you might like. Perhaps you may want to borrow someone's deck, take out only the two queens, get your lighter out of your pocket, place the queens as shown, gently heat their middles... [FLASH] ...the queens visibly merge into a Vortex! You shake them to cool them off and they eventually, visibly return to normal. You put your lighter away and the cards may be returned (unharmed) to your friend's deck. That's a presentation that could be done "isolated" if wish. Again, that requires a basic understanding of various techniques.

The existing DVD features Vortex integrated into other routines because that's the way I like to do it, but... I'll tell you what... if I had to shoot the video again, I'd stick a piece of flashpaper to the center of my gimmick! Maybe not all the time, but for special occasions (TV, VIP, etc.) it would be fabulous! Thank you for inspiring me to imagine an alternate handling which might appeal to anyone who gets one of these. That's why I love our little chats. Yay! Free bonus ideas!
--Harlan
Flash paper - what a great idea!

While holding the deck in your opposite hand can be a bit daunting (at least for me... I'm not sure what to do with the darned thing most of the time!), but come time to take the Vortex apart and I can hand out the two queens completely clean and there is no gimmick in the way. That makes it worthwhile to hold onto the deck!

Great effect Dan! Thanks!

Jim
You can easily use the Flash Thumb Tip that is as destracting as Flash Paper. I have a lot of fun eith these things.
Dan, Great suggestion! Question for you: Eventually, cards wear out. Are there refills for sale without having to purchase the DVD again?
KJ
Card-Shark,
What a great idea! I'm not familiar with flash TT. I'll have to look into it.
I would think that by using flash TT, you wouldn't run the risk of staining your gimmick card(s), right?
KJ.
KJ, I agree wholeheartedly about the entertainment aspect of magic. When a skeptic demands to see something, I am so tempted to walk over in a friendly and welcoming manner ask his name, courteously explain that we just don't have time to discuss each and every trick but that he's welcome to wait around after the show, and then thank him, pat him on the back and return to my place leaving him with a sign stuck to his back which reads, "Magician Wannabe".

Dan, Thanks for the explanation. What I really wanted to know (but did a poor job in asking) was if the deck could be any deck, and you answered that. Thanks! Vortex looks great. Good job, sir!
Dan "The Man" Harlan...

You have got to love a creator who continuously gives the magic community good strong, commercial and visual effects that are thought out and routined to perfection. Not only is this a super visual effect with quality produced gimmicks (shout out to Card Shark) that has been worked out to be simple, direct and super clean...but he gives it to us for $20.00!!! I'm fairly certain a good deal of creators would have charged at least $24.95, some more like $30.00 - $35.00. Thank you Dan for another winner that I will be trying out in my walk-around gigs for sure. I can't wait to see what kind of reactions I get with that "moment of mayhem" when the two queens meld together and then the amazement when I cleanly and fairly peel them apart and hand them to my spectators. Now THAT is what "The Art of Astonishment" is all about! Bravo Mr. Harlan, Bravo.
Are any UK Dealers looking at stocking this ?
You'll have to ask penguin that. I would have thought so.
[quote]
On 2013-02-28 20:33, 1KJ wrote:
Are there refills for sale without having to purchase the DVD again?
[/quote]
Fortunately, there's very little handling so the gimmicks won't be subjected to constant wear. Refills/replacements might become officially available, but you can always contact me regarding any customer service follow-up issues and I'll make sure you're happy... regardless where you initially acquire any of my effects, I stand behind them.

For my friends who are waiting to purchase this directly from me, I have received tracking info which indicates I'll have them on Wed., March 6. I'll let you know the moment it's in stock and on my site.

Thanks to everyone for the great comments/reviews! I try to create effects and routines which are practical, unusual, and amazing... that we all can use.
--Harlan
Dan,
Thank you.

Maxeroo,
Well said. You geve me a good idea: Instead of sticking a sign to their back, stick a duplicate card, do a card vanish routine, and reveal it by having everyone listen to where the energy sucking sound is coming from in the room.

KJ.
Brilliant stuff Dan, thanks for another superb visual piece of magic.
KJ,
Now THAT'S funny! And clever. And doable!
Gotta go work on my card vanish!
What I meant to say was, I gotta go work on my card vanish . . . and Vortex!!! Can't wait to see Mr. Cynic's expression when the cards morph.
Took this out for a 'spin' this weekend using a marked deck. Spectator has a truly free choice and then you pull his thought form the Vortex....played very strong!
Told ya that I'd let ya know... in-stock now on my site:
http://www.danharlanmagic.com/Vortex-vortex.htm
Thanks for your patience.
--Harlan
Dan,
I love this and will be purchasing from your site next week (payday) is it possible to make the gimmick for someone like myself who uses tally ho cards...or is there ever a chance of you releasing these with tally ho backs...not enough gimmicks with those...
Roger--
Sorry to say, but it's unlikely that Tally Ho gimmicks will be made, but honestly I think (due to the nature of the effect) you could get away with using one of the existing gimmicks with a Tally Ho deck and no-one would notice. If you're really particular, you might try using a red (or blue) Sharpie to touch up the corners a bit so they're not so obviously Bikes or Phoenixes (Phoenices? Phoenii? No, I was right... Phoenixes!).
--Harlan
Vortex arrived a couple of days ago and I gotta say this is one heck of an illusion. Very visual. Tried it out today on my magician buddy and got that wide open eyes look of wonder and amazement. Money well spent.
Thanks Barry! Of everything I've ever created, I feel Vortex gets the best reactions based purely on its visual aspect. I would say best reactions since I first dabbled in rubber bands! And, Vortex is a lot easier than most of my rubberband stuff!
--Dan Harlan
Ok. I'm sold! I'm gonna order this. Great mystery of the universe: How is it possible for one man to consistently come up with hit after hit of great effects?

Dan is that man!
Dan ships VERY fast!

Really? That's good news. I have been debating whether to order from Penguin, or directly from the man himself.
I went for it. I placed my order directly from Dan.
Just got to say, this is such a weird but beautiful illusion!

I did this 16 separate times today, each time killed.

I keep the two queens and the thing in the box and have them hold the box and go into the presentation. That way I can do whatever routines I want and go straight into it. I'm keeping Vortex in my sets. Great job, Dan Harlan!
Awesome! Always great to hear from somebody else who's giving this a workout.
--Harlan
The Penguin Magic Review, Episode #2, featured Dan's Vortex:

http://youtu.be/mOkNH8gtXeM?t=32s
Here's a better shot of the two-card VORTEX handling. Great if you just want to carry two cards in your wallet with you and still do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZevIoLjeKuA

And if you have any other questions about anything you see in the Review Show (or anywhere else), just let me know, and I'll try to make a video for ya.

Thanks again for watching, gang!
Love it, won't use it as I adore the ability to hand the two queens at the end. But a very well done idea. The thought process as per the Penguin Magic Review about the deck hiding something was very "meh-gician" thinking to me.
Ricklaxmagic, thanks for filming that ( it was very funny ). Your handling looked REALLY good.

Carrying it in the wallet, it could make a great sobriety test. Anyone worried if they want to see the cards, just say "I'm sorry, not in your condition" and just put them away. You could also carry 2 dupes in the wallet. Alter the back of one of them with a Sharpie and watch their eyebrows go up and down trying to figure it out.
Fair enough--the thought that something might be concealed in the whole deck might be running where we're not being chased, but glad you enjoyed the handling nonetheless. :)

[quote]
On 2013-10-22 00:10, Blindside785 wrote:
Love it, won't use it as I adore the ability to hand the two queens at the end. But a very well done idea. The thought process as per the Penguin Magic Review about the deck hiding something was very "meh-gician" thinking to me.
[/quote]
Looks awesome, a very nice mimi illusion.
A great illusion..easy to do..great price..5 swirling stars out of 5 .. :) ...
Rick--
Great idea! I like what you've done with Vortex. And, the "sobriety test" angle suggested by Zombie is perfect. That's one of the things I love most about coming up with new magic effects... seeing the wonderful directions that other creative people take them!
--Harlan
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 00:26, Zombie Magic wrote:
Ricklaxmagic, thanks for filming that ( it was very funny ). Your handling looked REALLY good.

Carrying it in the wallet, it could make a great sobriety test. Anyone worried if they want to see the cards, just say "I'm sorry, not in your condition" and just put them away. You could also carry 2 dupes in the wallet. Alter the back of one of them with a Sharpie and watch their eyebrows go up and down trying to figure it out.
[/quote]

LOVE this...sobriety test...perfect contextualization
Just did this table hopping tonight with a Halloween theme. Two sisters that decided to dress up as a tornado and went back to being themselves after Halloween. Lots of fun, well received.
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 23:45, plink wrote:
Just did this table hopping tonight with a Halloween theme. Two sisters that decided to dress up as a tornado and went back to being themselves after Halloween. Lots of fun, well received.
[/quote]

Cute! Nice thinking! How did your audience like that take on it?

Thanks!

Jim
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 16:53, ricklaxmagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-10-22 00:26, Zombie Magic wrote:

[/quote]

LOVE this...sobriety test...perfect contextualization
[/quote]

ricklaxmagic, thanks very much. Carrying it in your everyday wallet is such a great idea ( wallet's can be like mini close-up cases ).

Dan Harlan has Vortex on his site:

Dan and Jen ship so fast, you'd think they flew to your home and dropped it off themselves!
I always thought this looked a little hokey but I picked it up recently and am happy to say I was dead wrong. This is visual to the extreme and both the gimmicks and teaching are top notch (as will all Dan's products). Well done Dan. Also great that he included both Bike and Phoenix gimmicks in both blue and red. Love it.
It's such a pleasure when something you've ordered exceeds your expectations. And that is certainly the case with Vortex. Thanks Penguin - fast to ship. While I'm late to the conversation on this I think it is such a strong effect that it deserves a bit of a reboot here. I'd love to read anything new that others would like to share about how they are using this and I'd be happy to do the same. I can say for anyone thinking about purchasing this effect you will find it is easy to perform, will work well for a pretty large group and it is certainly fun to do. I can tell you that before purchasing it I wasn't sure how easy it would be to ring in the gimmick and then back out again undetected at the end. Luckily, you'll find that Dan has already helped out in this regard with the clever design and performance. Many kudos to Dan, thanks for making this available.
Got Vortex from Penguin Magic. I love it and will be using it. I had a problem that required a replacement. Just want to say that they were very gracious and took care of it. Great service from them -- I have used Penguin a lot, and always have been happy with their service.
I revisited this recently and am definitely enjoying Rick Lax's 2-card handling. I added a convincer with a double-backed card (when taking the cards from a deck) so that you could remove both cards from the pack- while showing both sides (but not calling attention to it per say). I agree to Rick's point that the flustration-like showing at the end is overkill. I'd rather just remove the cards, do the trick and drop the cards back on top of the deck as you started. Again, without calling any attention to the fact.
Just seen review of Vortex cannot believe I missed this.will order UK if I can if not Penguin do free postage for UK
Just used vortex with Rick's handling at my brewery gig and it killed! I'll try and post some live reactions soon.
I'm getting this as a christmas present. It should arrive from penguin probably tomorrow!

I'm very excited about this trick. Seems like a great opener!
So the trick arrived and I'm very happy with it overall.

My one criticism would be that if you're doing the 2 card version that Rick Lax teaches, it would be much better if the gimmick card was a queen of spades rather than a 5 of diamonds.

If you watch the video here...

... Rick Lax has the 5 of diamonds basically turn into a queen of clubs as the cards twist together. It looks much better when the queen of clubs simply twirls.

So what I think I might do, is just use rubber cement to glue a queen of spades onto the face of the 5 of diamonds. The nice thing is that this trick came with 4 gimmicks, so I can do this one one of my gimmicks and I'll still have 3 other ones if I want to do the handling with the full deck of cards. I've never split cards before, but maybe that would be better to do since it will be thinner. Though I don't think it really matters because I'm not handing the cards out for inspection anyways. I just want to do it as a quick little trick... there's a lot of movement in the cards during the routine... and they go back into the pocket as soon as the trick is over... so I doubt anyone will notice the extra thickness.

I realize that in Rick Lax's handling, the discrepant change kind of flies by people anyways... but I would still rather have a thicker card and a better looking change. Maybe in the future, they can print out new cards that don't have that 5 of diamonds (and use the queen of spades instead).

There is still a slight discrepancy if you use the queen of spades instead of the 5 of diamonds, but since the queen of clubs and queen of spades look so similar, it shouldn't matter as much.
Just picked this up and really like it. It's fast, visual, very easy to learn and the illusion looks about as perfect as you can get with a couple of playing cards.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get refills of the gimmick?
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I am thinking this would be a good follow-up to Gregory Wilson's Revolution. Do Revolution first, where the named card is spun, then goes back to normal. Then tell them you will do it for them to actually see the moment that the card spins, and do Vortex.

I will have to wait until I get it to see how I am going to incorporate them together. I may need to find a way to displace the top card, in between the effects. But that should be able to be easily handled, while going through the deck to find their card.
Great idea Danster08. I love this effect and always thought it's a little to short. With Greg's is a perfect match!
Dan- For Vortex 2.0... Use two cards with scribbling or jumbled letters. After the swirling motion the predicted words appear, etc. Man and Woman cards turn into Bride and Groom card. Girl and little dog end up in a land with yellow brick road. Maybe even provide blank gimmicks for customization for one's own desires. Keep the original Vortex look on the ends of the cards.
No longer available? :(
Carry this one with me every day. Love it. A cool quickie with a striking visual.
[quote]On May 3, 2017, Montana76 wrote:
No longer available? :( [/quote]

Looks like an updated version is now available:

Paul Mc.
Is this the same gimmicks and just a update on the handling?
It's free shipping on this to the uk happy days.Sane cards just bonus handling from Mr lax.
Not updated. Same trick. Get it, you won’t regret it.
I have the old one. So its the same?
Yes yes yes.
Already said same cards just bonus handling and now free shipping to the uk from penguin so on its way.
Ok so I got this. Ad says 4 cards included. 2 Bikes (red & blue) and 2 phoenix (red & blue)

This is what I got: (not a big deal really, but not as advertised)

[img]https://i.imgur.com/bJa4xWS.jpg[/img]
Isn't this last post a bit too much exposure?
I have deleted the image from the hosting site, but it's still showing. Maybe MODS can delete that post ?
I think it is good you have removed the image. It doesn't show anymore.

BUT by the way, I've received the same: 2 bicycle red back gimmicks and 2 bicycle blue back gimmicks , not the Phoenix backs. Have you contacted Penguin about it?