(Close Window)
Topic: Memorized Deck Routine
I'm looking for a routine using a memorized deck, where you give the impression that you remember all the cards (or a lot)

Where can I find such a routine?
There are some... one recommendation: Have a look in Bob Cassidy's "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" and read his card memory routine. Jan
There's one on the Steve Ehlers DVD called the Arizona Card Expert. The title is something like the third card. It's the last piece on the disk.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
More memory man by Joel givens is great. Download from vanishing inc
I know Joel Given's routine, which is great, but I would think you could go "one step" futher with a memorized deck.
Yes, you can. Take Juan Tamriz wonderful routine from "Mnemonica" where you learn several hands and half the deck... It is his routine using some quite easy (as covered as dealings) anti faro. Jan
Some more details (I am back home now :) ): The routine is called "Total memory", you'll find it on page 201 et seq. Jan
[quote]
On 2013-03-10 05:44, JanForster wrote:
Some more details (I am back home now :) ): The routine is called "Total memory", you'll find it on page 201 et seq. Jan
[/quote]

Jan,

Is this routine stack dependent?

Mike
[quote]On 2013-03-09 17:41, JanForster wrote:
Have a look in Bob Cassidy's "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" and read his card memory routine.[/quote]
[url=http://youtu.be/WuHU9NZE0gs]Here[/url]'s a video that Bob posted in [b]Penny for your Thoughts[/b].
[quote]
On 2013-03-10 12:44, Turk wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-10 05:44, JanForster wrote:
[/quote]

Jan,

Is this routine stack dependent?

Mike
[/quote]
No, Mike, it is not. I've done it and use the Aronson stack :). Jan
There's a great little routine stuck in the back of Alan Ackerman's Las Vegan Karma. (I think the description is only one page.) It's a three phase mem deck routine which ends with a reading off of one third of the deck.
[quote]
On 2013-03-09 18:21, Dennis Loomis wrote:
There's one on the Steve Ehlers DVD called the Arizona Card Expert. The title is something like the third card. It's the last piece on the disk.[/quote]

AND:
[quote]
On 2013-03-12 12:24, mrehula wrote:
There's a great little routine stuck in the back of Alan Ackerman's Las Vegan Karma. (I think the description is only one page.) It's a three phase mem deck routine which ends with a reading off of one third of the deck.
[/quote]

You guys are talking about the same trick: Steve Ehler's "Three Card Location." The DVD updates the version in the Ackerman book. Bill Malone has a similar trick called (I believe) "Hands Off Memory Test" where the revelations are a little more varied.
[quote]
On 2013-03-12 12:49, Cain wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-09 18:21, Dennis Loomis wrote:
There's one on the Steve Ehlers DVD called the Arizona Card Expert. The title is something like the third card. It's the last piece on the disk.[/quote]

AND:
[quote]
On 2013-03-12 12:24, mrehula wrote:
[/quote]

You guys are talking about the same trick: Steve Ehler's "Three Card Location." The DVD updates the version in the Ackerman book. Bill Malone has a similar trick called (I believe) "Hands Off Memory Test" where the revelations are a little more varied.
[/quote]

You are correct.. :) Jan
Steve's a good friend of mine, and I can still remember the utter shock and helplessness I experienced when he did this for me. Cried myself to sleep I tell you.
Yup, Cain is correct. It's the same routine. But it's dynamite.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
How about with a shuffled deck?

Corinda 13 Steps page #308 PHOTO-MEMORY....A GEM IF PRESENTED WELL!
Really like Bob Cassidy's routine, but looking for an effect more suited for strolling close-up work.

Any other suggestions?
"Three Card Location" is perfect. It doesn't even require a table.

I had an idea for a trick, but never came up with a workable presentation...

A card is selected, or named. The magician's blindfolded (a spectator can stand behind and hold her hands over your eyes), and you deal the cards into a face up pile, occasionally dealing some face down. "If you see your card, let me know." You explain the selection will probably be among the face down cards. After you've (quickly) dealt through the entire deck, you single out one card among the face-downs... it is indeed the selection. Then you spread the deck showing -- I dunno. The rest of the cards that were turned face-down could be the same suit. They could be a royal flush. They could be the highest possible poker-hand with the named card. They could be three cards with the same value. You should first have the cards shuffled, then put them back in mem-deck order with a cull separation (your excuse for running through the cards for the separation is that you're memorizing them).
Cain,
I think a more memorable presentation would be to have the spectators call out stop at various points during your deal, which you turn the card f/d. At the end the called out f/d cards are the royal flush or the thirteen suits. The first method to come to mind is a stud bottom deal, as you put your stack on the bottom.
It's a VERY intersting idea you have there. I think you might be able to come up method w/o the memo deck.
You also gave me an idea to come up with a card stab with the memo deck.....
Bozo,

The spectator choosing usually increases the strength of a trick, but it's no longer a memory presentation and I don't see why you'd need a mem-deck. Also, there's that that fine trick where you spread through the pack upjog the four cards your spectators touch, strip out and flip'em on top: the four aces.
Another great trick that doesn't require memorization, the spectator can shuffle the deck,and gives the impression that you instantly memorized the shuffled deck can be found in Josh Jay's "Magic" book- the blue one. If you don't know a stack, it's awesome and a real fooler.
Check out Harry Anderson's Penguin lecture.
Salís Memory Opener
By Sal Piacente Ė Expert Card Magic Lecture Notes Volume 1

This is a great full deck memorization demonstration that builds in phases to a wonderful climax. In brief, the spectator (S) riffle shuffles the deck then the magician (M) asks them to deal down 13 cards. The M briefly looks at the 13 cards and gives them to the S to further shuffle and remove one. The M again briefly looks at the cards and names the value. This is repeated with the S dealing another 13 cards and removing two cards... again the M names the values. Finally the S shuffles the balance of the deck (remaining 26) and removes five cards and the M briefly looks at the balance of the deck and names the 5 values. I think Sal credits Steve Forte with the effect. It is presented with a gambling theme and is devestating.
Lavand has a few. They are wonderful.
[quote]
On 2013-08-17 20:48, Atom3339 wrote:
Lavand has a few. They are wonderful.
[/quote]

Rene Lavand? Where are these written up?