(Close Window)
Topic: Dr's Billet Tear!.
Being somewhat of a "tear" aficionado I asked my friend Bill to please send me his latest work to look at. He had told me for a few months that he was working on the tear and I was looking forward to seeing it.

The Dr.'s Billet tear is a wonderful addition to the genre and unique on several layers.

I like it a lot :)

Well done Doc!
Please,do share a little on Dr Bill's CT.
What are some advantages to using it?
[quote]
On 2013-03-26 15:48, Godzilla wrote:
[/quote]
It will help you get girls Zilla.
[quote]
On 2013-03-26 16:14, Roth wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-26 15:48, Godzilla wrote:
[/quote]
[/quote]

No. It won't.

David

:)
You can have a fancy car with airco and traction control, and heated seats and sat nav, and, and, and.....
Or you can have 4 wheels, an engine and a steering wheel.

TDBT is as stripped down and focussed as you could hope to get.
I received this today and think it's great. I have my own tear which received great reviews - including a personal message from Bob Cassidy stating he thought it excellent. This has not stopped me searching for the ultimate tear. I think I might have found it.

Since products are hyped without explanation and that seems a problem with some on here I will explain further my point.

Al Mann once said that as soon as a billet is torn, the audience loses interest in it and relaxes. This is true to an extent. I do think that repeated tearing with a degree of precision is likely to draw attention back to the billet. Dr Bill's allows a peek of the writing after one tear at a point when one can be totally relaxed and that means all subsequent tears can be casual, open and honest.

This is now my tear of choice.
It is as simple as it needs to be, straight forward, big p**k area - easy to learn, you get embedded vid clips from front and back, as well as nicely illustrated diagrams and step by step descriptions... learn it well, re-visit 13 steps and annemann, and off you go! up and running in an afternoon...

I do genuinely love it - I got mine as a gift from Bill to be open about it - and I am a lucky chap for being allowed to have used it for the past few weeks because of it... there is something I am doing that this fits in perfectly with...and its thanks to bill that its made my life easier because of it...

I said elsewhere, that I think the ultimate compliment of any billet work is it looking/feeling mundane. that it is boring to witness from a punter's perspective - therefore to be ignored, and treated as an everyday thing...
[quote]
On 2013-03-26 16:14, Roth wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I am 110% in,for a Simple/Bigger P@@K Area!
I paid for mine and find it to be a great peek - simple, large viewing area, explanation clearly written (and the embedded videos very helpful). The illustrations are very clear, too.

I often question why we should have the spec write something down and tear it up. Bruce Bernstein offered a great reason in Unreal. I like the routine that Dr Bill provides even more. It completely justifies tearing up the billet (and has a nice little mnemonic, too). His treatise on when to peek is well thought out, as well. Money well spent for a great billet tear.

Shad Schroeder
STYLE: A+ clear instructions, beautiful pictures, concise videos. Clear text and layout. The videos are an excellent touch.

SUBSTANCE: A+ a new (yes!) CT instant access that is bloody simple to do once you get the hang of it. Psychological principles thrown in as a bonus on when to peek. I have collected and tried many tears - this is te easiest and quickest I've found so far - a true innovation.

Yes, I actually paid for it too, and am vety happy with this purchase.

(Already sang praises to Dr Bill in the Emperor's thread and this just adds more confirmation to my opinion - he is modest how he came up with this but I believe his vast background in the field allowed him to spot something no one noticed before...).

I have tried it with real people over the last two days... Ripping good fun!!! No fuss no muss!!!

Thanks Bill!!!
[quote]
On 2013-03-26 22:19, Dr Spektor wrote:
... Ripping good fun!!! ...
[/quote]

Hee, hee, hee.
In a different thread people were praising T-rex as the last word on the center tear. those in the know how of the two methods can they offer a comparison?
Did t-Rex come out? I've been waiting as I collect ct methods.....
Not yet, that's why I asked those in the know how. Based on the T-rex thread some people were privy to the method prior publication.
According to the thread it should be coming out anytime now.
I know via Bill, that he and Ran have been sharing/swopping their own work to make sure they do not "cross streams" as it were...(in a ghostbusters sense)...
To avoid totally protonic reversal? Cool! But it might be good to have both techniques then in case Gozer shows up.
It all sounds tear-if-ic!!

J
Thanks all, it's good to be back in a safe and happy place! I don't know the status of T-Rex either. Must admit I'm a bit curious.
From what I understand, t-Rex is something rather different from anything that's appeared before, and, if my information is accurate, I can't imagine it being either as easy or direct as the good Doctor's method, but I will buy it anyway.
[quote]
On 2013-03-27 20:15, JohnWells wrote:
From what I understand, t-Rex is something rather different from anything that's appeared before, and, if my information is accurate, I can't imagine it being either as easy or direct as the good Doctor's method, but I will buy it anyway.
[/quote]

Will T-Rex help you get girls,like Dr Bill's tear ? :)
Ran just wrote me that T-Rex is out of his hands at the printer and he is patiently waiting. He said he hopes to have a substantial update soon.

When Ran and I exchanged work many, many months ago, we did so in part to make sure we hadn't reinvented the same wheel. I learned enough to be confident we hadn't and then put it away as I didn't want anything seeping into TDBT.

So I really can't say too much in comparision because there is a lot going on in T-Rex and only now can I really go back and refresh my memory and truly learn it and the several variants. Plus I don't want to risk exposure.

I will say in just now taking a look there is a variation unlike anything I've ever heard of but I'm not sure if it is going to be openly promoted so I must keep mum for now. I haven't tried it out but conceptually it looks off the chart!
Could those who know the work address whether the Dr's Billet Tear is more appropriate for close up, stage, surrounded etc... or is it good for all venues?
Everywhere except if someone rests their head on your shoulder while trying to do it
This is just terrific.
I love me my Barrie Richardson Tear... but Bill's tear (and John Well's Barfly routine... along with the new CT routine he's performing) might be enough to make me switch.

It was demonstrated for me earlier in the week, and I refused to believe that the peek had happened. I think it's the rhythm of it that makes this such a effective tool.
I love it unconditionally.

d
How does this compare to R2-D2? I never thought I'd need another tear but I know some top pro's are using this so I'm intrigued.

Thanks
Sean
There are similarities in the beginning, both are very very clean, I personal favor R2-D2 a bit as I find it more convincing. But this is my personal opinion. Please no fights again. And: I use the second version of R2-D2. Jan
Thanks for sharing your opinion Jan, I use the 2nd version too.

Don't know about any fighting that's been going, but if that's the case then I'll ask for anyone to answer my question by PM.

Thanks guys. :)
@Sean,
Check out the demo. You can see the tear in action.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3429
Cheers Randy,

I've never seen a video demo for a tear before!
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Apr 3, 2013 10:45AM)
Nice video!
Whew! Talk about eagle-eyeing a CT and their not being anything to see! That video demo is a gem, a real sales tool. It would impress anyone.
[quote]
On 2013-04-03 07:54, JanForster wrote:
There are similarities in the beginning, both are very very clean, I personal favor R2-D2 a bit as I find it more convincing. But this is my personal opinion. Please no fights again. And: I use the second version of R2-D2. Jan
[/quote]

If you don't want a fight you can't use 'fightin' words', Jan! :)

I think Al Baker was right when he suggested just find one you like and stick with it... but I haven't been able to settle down yet. But I think Bill's might keep my eyes from wandering.

For me as Dick Christiansen was to the book test, Tom Jorgenson is to CT. Whenever Tom has gotten his hands on anything I'm always interested to see what he's done or is doing with it.
I don't know though. Tom would you describe yourself as polygamous with your CTs or Serially Monogamous?

d
ADD might be closer to it. If it's in front of my face, it's got my attention.

And deep thanks for the uneserved compliments.
Hi guys,

From the perspective of a entry-level hobbiest who HATES WITH A PASSION!!! having to read instructions and would much much rather watch a video that I can rewind as many times as my slow-to-grasp-anything-new mind needs me to rewind:

I LOVE Dr. Billet's tear. :) :) I am still reeling from the realization that I not only could follow the very well written and illustrated instructions, I also deeply appreciated the heart of the magician: Dr. Bill, showing through the written presentation. It was actually fun to read!! I Almost felt as though I was in the presence of this great gentleman even though I was just reading words on a page. I've often thought that who we really are inside can be be sensed or felt by others even through written words.

It is fun to be able to feel a connection with someone when learning a new idea (if the presenter or teacher has a good heart) because that "good part" of them warms your heart each time your remember or utilize the idea they passed onto you. In a way, I suppose, Dr. Bill sort of performs through us because he taught us...good company to have inside us, or have beside us :) Many of the great magicians have a way of making you feel that way.

I guess it's like the Lord Jesus said: "My Father not only taught me what to say, but how to say it"--Gospel of John

WOW! I don't know the history of tears or the history of much of any magic and, altough, I know it's important to credit the conceptual fathers of the methods, part of me just says: credits are interesting and nostalgic but, regardless of how Dr. Bill got to where he got on this I'M JUST GLAD HE GOT THERE!! and made if fun for me to get there too! :)

I think I have the concept and just need to practice but, you know what?, I'm going to read and re-read the PDF anyway just because...IT'S FUN!! Dr. Bill made it fun and somehow I think that spirit will be passed through whoever performs his method, onto the audience. That is golden.

I haven't had this much fun seeing a powerful concept taught, and actualy being able to grasp it quickly, since Loki's FAX which also was so fun to learn and, in a way, similar (but not the same) in concept. BUT THAT WAS A VIDEO LESSON and for me to love a written lesson just as much says these things loud and clear about Dr. Bills tear:

#1, Magic concept taught: AWESOME

#2, Method of teaching: AWESOME

#3, The teacher himself: AWESOME

#4, Extra insights and thoughts from the teacher: AWESOME

#5. Value received...just okay...(just teasing :)) TREMENDOUS

I think a gentleman whose first name is Thomas created the layout of the lesson and to Thomas I say: "Masterful".

The professionals reviewing this brilliant work from a very gifted magician are, most all of them, stating it is a new bench mark for magic. I'm sure that must be so. But for fellow beginners like me let me reassure you that you, too, will be so very very glad you purchased this...adventure.

your friend,
Alex
Outstanding review Alex!

Very helpful and some cool insights. Much appreciated.

I bought this last week and haven't yet had time to read/learn it sadly.

Can't wait
[quote]
On 2013-04-03 22:43, trueinventor wrote:

I think a gentleman whose first name is Thomas created the layout of the lesson and to Thomas I say: "Masterful".[/quote]
Thank you, Sir. But the layout was created by Mauricio Jaramillo and Dr. Bill - so honor to whom honor is due. ;)
My negligible contributions were just the quick sketches of the handling phases.

So your appreciation has to go to Mauricio rather then to me.

Glad that you enjoyed the book anyway (not that I expected anything else, ... :) )

Cheers
Th.
Brett, thankyou. You will absolutely love it. In your hands it really WILL be magic.

Thomas, I am honored to hear from you. The sketches were perfect.
Thankyou for mentioning Mauricio and crediting him for his
simple, elegant and so-easy-to-follow layout.

Dear Café members, it's easy to over-complement or flatter (which God warns not to do
because it can cause people to have a false confidence that might hurt them at times)
but that isn't the case here: If you are able to purchase Dr. Bill's Tear;
I just know most everyone will view it as I have and think the purchase was money very well spent.

I love great gimmicks because of their ability to embue beginners with the appearance of having Pro-level abilities they don't really possess. but Dr. Bill offers even better with his tear concept: A GREAT magic skill that even a beginner can master and that you don't have to worry about misplacing and repurchasing.

Great Gimmicks are like IRON MAN: they can allow you to do incredible things but, absent the suit you are toast.
Dr. Bill's method is like becoming SUPERMAN: the skill becomes an intrinsic part of who you are: any time, any where: Up Up and Away! :) Accomplished magicians are SUPERMAN: Years of practice have given them second-nature abilities. Us gimmicky guys who are, at best: IRON MAN can live a few moments each day as the real thing with
the magical method taught by Dr. Bill. If you decide to purchase it:

You will feel like you
became friends with a great magician and also come from the planet Krypton :)
Hi trueinventor, my new best friend, lol! :) Thank you, those are some mighty flattering comments.

As much as I appreciate kudos for my latest creation, it means a lot to me when someone praises my writing style in and of itself as you did in such detail. I am glad to hear that along with the wonderful help and contributions from Mauricio, Thomas and Greg, my words not only made TDBT easy to learn but enjoyable.
Oh my gosh!! :)

Mr. Cushman, I am so honored to have heard from you!!

I meant every word from my heart.
A great pastor once said: "A message prepared in your mind can affect other minds, a message prepared in your heart can affect
hearts, but a message prepared in your life can affect lives." Jesus was the best example of this by becoming the lesson He taught:
"Love God with all of your heart and love one another as much as you would want them to love you". Our Lord became the lesson by laying down His life for us.

You chose to make magic a part of your life and that magic, presented through your life: through your gentleman's spirit and warm insightful nature, has affected and will continue to affect the lives of others. I know it has mine. To some professionals that might sound silly, but I know most every beginner of any age very much understands. So few of us will ever get the chance to be a Real Magician doing Real Magic absent a clever device (which I'm not against, it's just nice to be "Superman" rather than Batman or Ironman once in awhile :) ). To simply pick up a coin or a card or pack of cards and nothing else, nothing hidden and then create Wonders is such a gift of wonder to the world. You make that same kind of moment possible with a piece of paper and nothing else and place that sill-set within the grasp of even a beginner with little time to practice. What an incredible gift you've given the world of magic.

The child inside most of us always feels lifted up inside because someone, we view as greater than us, recognized us or taught us with kindness. You have given me both of those gifts now.
Thank you Mr. Cushman! :)

I am, at best, an entry-level novice but I'm not alone in the things I've stated: The comments I have read from Real Magicians about Bill Cushman note your kindness, warmth, honesty, ethics, and great great talent. It is almost always your warmth and genuineness of character they note first and most. That only adds to the grandeur of the magic your perform. The person you are makes, not just the magic you perform better magic, but lifts the field of magic as a whole. I know that anyone who has been graced by both you and your performances left with a good feeling about Magicians.

When I read your presentation, so beautifully crafted and fine tuned by Mauricio, Thomas and Greg, I thought: "I think I feel like the friends of Thurston, Houdini, and of other legends must have felt when engaging in conversation with them. It actually feels like Mr. Cushman is talking with me here in person at the breakfast table." Being able to achieve that in writing is rare, being able to achieve that in the presentation of a lesson is even more rare. But you did.

Maybe not all of us, but I think that perhaps so many of us, still feel the wonder and excitement today that we felt as children when we hear Circus Music or saw a gifted Magician perform on stage or in the street, or saw Carnival rides from a distance and knew Dad was taking us to the Midway.

Your simple elegant concept, presented with your spirit shining through, allows me to give moments like that to others.

Thank you so very much for making that possible. Life never allowed me to be a Real Magician which was my first and never-dying dream.
You have allowed me to be one, at least for a few moments, in the eyes of those I perform your gift to us for.

Thank you for being the gentleman you are and for your life and for sharing a part of it with us. I have a very strong feeling that those who know you best love you very very much. Your lesson of how to do the tear, just that glimpse into your nature and heart, was enough for me to know that those who are fortunate enough to be close to you have plenty of reason to respect and love you.

I can't express enough how much I will treasure your post. Many of the Café magicians are gifted as performers, a few are gifted as
creators of Magic. I think almost all of us: beginners and the "best-of-the-best" alike, hold you to be both a gifted performer and a gifted creator of new magic. From all that I read, your new teaching will be added to the list of "Legendary Methods for accomplishing Powerful Magic with Simple Elegant Methods."---in the world of magic that is my FAVORITE List! :)

From now on Mr. Cushman, every time I present what you've allowed me to present as a Real Magician, I am going to say: "A truly great Magician, a Legend in the world of Magic, and someone who is my friend taught me this..."---because you did and your are.

I really am grateful for your method and for the wonder I get to see in the eyes of those I perform it for,
for your willingness to share it with us, and for a simple elegant presentation of it's secrets taught in
a way that places it even within the grasp of a beginner.

You and what you gave through your teaching are a blessing from the Lord in my life Mr. Cushman and I know many others
would echo that and will echo it in years to come.

From a trueinventor to a Great Inventor,

your friend--Alex
Lol, Are you a stand-up comedian?
Very funny! I like it!
I bought it, and like it a lot. Probably not as much as trueinventor, but I do think it's very good :)
Wow, don't know if there is anything to say after trueinventor, but I agree, this is powerful. I have seen a few tears and there has always been a "moment" that just didn't feel right to me. The manuscript goes into detail over when and why to do the tear, which has always been important. With this tear, these things are still important, but the tear seems almost "self working" it just simply does what it needs to do so that you get the information. I know there is another tear on it's way, I may pick it up, but I don't see me ever using anything but this tear.

Great job, a true tool for a mentalist/mental magic.
This tear is almost too easy and now I am surrounded by torn up business cards. I don't think I will ever need another tear.

Mark
Does it work well on business cards?

John
It works great on business cards, I guess thickness will be a factor for tearing but mine are 280 - 300 gsm and I've had no problems.

Mark
Thanks Mark!
Can the whole card be read with this peak? it almost sounds too good to be true.
[quote]
On 2013-04-12 06:51, migwar wrote:
Can the whole card be read with this peak? it almost sounds too good to be true.
[/quote]

are you mixing up a peek with a tear? this is a tear, migwar...

so you never get to see 100% of any CT, because you are ripping it up! from my experience of using this - you get a "majority view" of the business card...not sure if the blurb tells you the %, but...easily 'enough'! enough for a drawing, a question and so on... and don't forget, its all about audience direction/management...
Sorry my question wasn't clear. I just want to know if the placing of the writing is traditional. I.e in the center. I know its called a CT but it's so clean I'd hate to be disappointed.
With TDBT, the card is written on in portrait orientaation (can I expose my own stuff? :)). The hot spot is the literal, dead center, 50% of the card, from edge to edge. The other "cold" 50% is comprised of the 25% above and 25% below. Consider the advantages of this. I hope that helps!
It does! Thanks Bill. I've been using a standard tear for years but would love to use Business cards as I always have them on me.
I purchased this last week from Penguin, as ths is the first tear I have tried I found it so easy to learn, and so practical. Clear and concise instructions along with the video demonstrations make learning the tear extremely simple. I like the way the moves flow together so naturally. Thank you Bill, this is excellent.
Shall I go for this one ore R2-D2?
If you can afford it - go for both. Seriously. Jan
I am trying to view the embedded videos on my macbook pro and it is not working.

Please Help.

Thanks.
Jerde,
I have had the same problem too, only to discover that I used PREVIEW all along for PDFs and if I have had used Adobe Reader, I would have no problem at all :)
Hope this helps.
Alex
Alex. Thanks, I just realized that I used preview last night.
Happened to me either - we're are so much used to use preview in the everyday work that I always forget to open Acrobat Reader to view the embedded stuff....
I used this tear for the first time in an actual performance last night and it is so easy I almost felt guilty ..... Almost ;). This is so deceptive you can do it while they are burning your hands, in fact it's probably better that way.

Mark
[quote]
On 2013-04-15 06:09, Nicolino wrote:
Happened to me either - we're are so much used to use preview in the everyday work that I always forget to open Acrobat Reader to view the embedded stuff....
[/quote]
True, but it doesn't help on my iPad. Jan
I use GoodReader on my iPad.
Brilliant app for reading pdfs etc.

steve
[quote]
On 2013-04-15 11:30, Stephen Young wrote:
I use GoodReader on my iPad.
Brilliant app for reading pdfs etc.[/quote]
True, but it doesn't help on Jan's iPad. :D
:pout: ..... :)
Thanks for all the kinds words since I last peeked in! And I'm glad to see people helping one another in terms of video issues.

We've been able to resolve virtually every problem with watching the embedded videos, most with the above advice. There was a thread pulled in Pennies where someone was having trouble using Windows 8 that I'm not sure was resolved though David Thiel posted that is exactly what he was using, without any troubles.

I know that Mauricio used a mac to convert the doc to pdf and embed the videos and checked them out on his Ipad and Iphone! The only excpetion seems to be tablets and phones using the Jellybean OS since Adobe doesn't have a compatible version of Flash yet.

So I can't watch them on my Samsung Galaxay Tablet, except as separate files, unless I want to go through a real round about fix. Which is why I maintain my standard offer to send the video files on their own to anyone who still can't view them.

Which I sent you, Jan, correct? If anyone else needs them, just let me know.
I bought this, and although I haven't even tried looking at the video segments yet - what a gorgeously simple and deceptive little thing this is. Very simple to get the procedure down, and helping save the planet as it gives me a use for all the reject paper I keep beside my printer, and am now tearing into ever smaller pieces. I don't use tears often enough to need an arsenal of them, so I try to practise the one that I will use. It used to be Barrie Richardson's one, then the one by John Wells that built very nicely on BR's one, but this one is now 'my' tear. Very good.
[quote]
On 2013-04-17 21:48, Bill Cushman wrote:
Thanks for all the kinds words since I last peeked in! And I'm glad to see people helping one another in terms of video issues.

We've been able to resolve virtually every problem with watching the embedded videos, most with the above advice. There was a thread pulled in Pennies where someone was having trouble using Windows 8 that I'm not sure was resolved though David Thiel posted that is exactly what he was using, without any troubles.

I know that Mauricio used a mac to convert the doc to pdf and embed the videos and checked them out on his Ipad and Iphone! The only excpetion seems to be tablets and phones using the Jellybean OS since Adobe doesn't have a compatible version of Flash yet.

So I can't watch them on my Samsung Galaxay Tablet, except as separate files, unless I want to go through a real round about fix. Which is why I maintain my standard offer to send the video files on their own to anyone who still can't view them.

Which I sent you, Jan, correct? If anyone else needs them, just let me know.
[/quote]
Hi Bill, I think I was the first getting your script, but did not get the movies. Not a big point, I could see the embedded videos on my laptop, not on my iPad, but I could still read it. Thanks for your attention which I do appreciate a lot, Bill! Jan
As far as Jelly Bean devices, Flash will not be available, as Adobe has dropped support for Flash. You can download the last version from the Adobe archives, I will find a link and post later, that will work for most Flash enabled websites, but I have not tried it with this document. At lunch I will give it a whirl and see.

Come to think of it, I may hate Adobe now. One advantage of Android v. IOS was direct Flash support...
Grumble, Grumble...
I came a little late to the party...didn't want to order it before TaxTime as it would have been too much a distraction for me. And it would have been!

I'm amazed that the CT has evolved as it has, getting slimmer, leaner, getting reduced to the very minimal necessities of the process. No fat, no extra moves or folds, no finger-flinging or fiddling, how much cleaner and easier can the CT get?

For those performers who want to blow by the tearing up process (and reading process) as quickly as possible, to get through it smoothly, this tear will make you giddy. You needn't worry about when to open or read, it's all 'imbedded' in the super-simple moves.

This is clean and brilliant. Thank you, Dr., wish I'd thought of it!
Tried to watch the videos through Adobe Reader and Polaris Office on my Note 10.1 Jelly Bean device. Had the most updated apps, and they didn't play through the embedded document. However, that is ok, because Penguin (which I bought from) has the videos that you can download direct when you download the .pdf, so I can watch them through my movie player fine. Nice thing is, they really are supplemental, with a good view, but the directions are completely workable without them. I love embeded pdf's, works fine on my laptop with the most up-to-date flash and reader.
Just pressed the buy button on this, now the wait .......
With several tearing techniques under my belt, I doubted as to whether I would be able to find a home for TDBT, but was keen to see what all the excitement was about. Not only have I found a home for TDBT, but it has made the other techniques I used homeless. Shame on you Bill, for making so many well-loved tearing techniques redundant :)

I like TDBT for it's simplicity and well motivated moves. Nothing too glam or glitzy, everything a billet tear should be, natural, smooth, effortless. For me, a huge benefit was that it works significantly better with my business cards. As they are of a significantly thicker card stock, there are some tearing techniques that I have struggled with, leaving me looking like a strongman trying to tear a phone book in half. TDBT, a highly recommended purchase for anyone looking to peek a piece of information, right under their spectators' nose, in a natural and efficient manner.

I really could not have been much happier with this purchase.
Top marks Bill!
Warmest Regards,
Steve Shaw
I like this a lot. Excelant purchase.
All of Dr Bill's releases have contained wonderful surprises.
Fantastic product, may I ask others from your experience, do you find it better to guide the spectator as to how to fold the billet/card back up after writing on it or take it yourself with your head turned and fold it up?
I'd generally have them refold - in fact it's possible to hand out a crease-free un-prefolded billet. If you're dealing with someone unable to follow the concept of refolding then mental miracles may not be for them!
I abandoned CT's many years ago, but the reviews for Dr Bill's persuaded me to have another look. And I am so glad I did. This is a thing of real beauty. I actually think this could be the final word in CT's. How could it get any cleaner? It is as close to perfection as a CT can get.
Thanks everyone! I'm really glad so many people are getting so much use out of TDBT. Nothing I've done has ever generated this kind of personal response in terms of email from folks unknown just writing to say thank you for creating and sharing. And letting me know they are using TDBT as their go to CT now.

Regarding the question above, I always pre-fold. I do it as I'm setting up my premise and since there are no special "steps" or anything of the kind with TDBT you don't have to worry about things being just right. Hope that helps.
So, thirty minutes ago I ordered the download and for the last twenty minutes I have been maniacally chuckling to myself in the Café where I have read the manuscript and watched the video clips. There is a small mountain of paper confetti on my table and I am one happy chappy!

What a beautiful and elegant solution to the CT - I love this approach and the bonuses in the PDF were great and unexpected - well done to all involved in this product! I came to this having purchased TPR a few days ago and think that these two combined create a killer range of possibilities for any performer with an ounce of imagination - can't wait to start playing with all of this. If you are on the fence about whether to invest in TDBT, I would unreservedly urge you to splash the cash - this is as good as it gets.
By the way Bill - post 11 more responses and then take the rest of the year off if you like - everyone will assume that '2013’ posts is a category rather than a rolling figure! Of course then you'd only be allowed one post a year thereafter to maintain the illusion and we'd miss you so scrap that - keep racking them up!
It's so versatile. Dr. BC gives some very nice applications in which to use the technique but seriously, you are up and running so quickly and the possibilities are endless.

I love this so much. All I need is a business card and a pen and I can perform miracles. And if I don't have a biz card? No problem, as long as I can find something to write on. Dynamic thinking. It's a thing of beauty. I LOVE IT.

D
OK si I have owned this since release but finally just started working it like a good boy. I'm getting better at it but was also wondering the kind of typical patter that some of you utilize while starting and working through the tear?

I realize that much may be routine dependent - I hope this doesn't come off as ignorent.

Thanks (and thanks to the good Dr. for sending the easier to watch videos!)
I don't know about anyone else but I feel CT's are only truly appropriate when the tearing of the billet has some relevance to the effect. I always think it seems off, psychologically, to tear up a billet with a happy memory, or the name of a loved one, or even neutral info like numbers. I have been using DBT to erase bad memories, or worries etc. I notice the Dr's own routine follows this approach. That being the case I ask them if they can visualise the problem just before I perform the peek. I find asking a question creates a nice off-beat to do the dirty work, as the specs focus shifts inward for a moment.
It is a wonderful bit of thinking, that has been a real blessing for me, since its release...came along at just the right time...

if you haven't picked this up - you should...
I'm getting the hang of it now. Lovely.
Regarding justification of the tear, either TPR (which is an excellent read and full of viable routines) or I do a 2 phase routine -

Pre show: imp a spec's first love

In show: have that person write down on a business card something they are allergic to, have a phobia of or just don't like. On a second card they just project their mental image of a first love (justified in pre show by instructions given). One of the two cards is easily differentiated from the other (choose your favourite method).

The folded cards are mixed and spec takes one in each hand - using muscle reading you are able to identify which hand holds the allergy/phobia card because of the weakness in that limb. You then tear it up, asking them to imagine the power that the allergen/ fear has dissipating.

You move on to reveal the name of the first love from the blank business card using any reveal that suits your style (for me it is psychological so I ask them to recite the alphabet aloud, then silently and finally via their hand on my shoulder willing me to write the correct name. Half way through is process I pause and
reveal the contents of the first card, almost as if this needs to be named and put away before we can fully concentrate on the positive associations of the loved one.

Because the reveal is an aside and has psychological distance from the tear, the impact seems strong and while it is early days, I am enjoying working with this framing. Feel free to work it if this is something you'd like to play with too :)
That sounds terrific Andy. I used to do something similar with the name of a place from their past that they never want to return to, and the name of a place they hope to visit in future-then dress up the presentation with some cold reading.
I bought the download for this tear and was very happy with the purchase. I personally believe it was worth every penny and more! Just my two cents. :)
So this is a great tear. I also just picked up T-Rex. You really need to buy both. They both are excellent and do the job.

You just can't buy one!
H E L P !!!

I have a laptop running Windows XP. I have both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. I have downloaded the most up-to-date version of Adobe Flash player. When I try to watch the embedded videos I get a prompt to download the required version of Flash ????

Can anyone advise?

Derek
I'm not sure if the latest verson of Flash is supported by Windows XP.
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 14:03, kinesis wrote:
H E L P !!!

I have a laptop running Windows XP. I have both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome. I have downloaded the most up-to-date version of Adobe Flash player. When I try to watch the embedded videos I get a prompt to download the required version of Flash ????

Can anyone advise?

Derek
[/quote]

Hi Derek, you have the full version of Acrobat Reader? Maybe is that

Best
The latest version of Adobe Flash Player is supported on XP.
Here's a link that may help you sort out your problem: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
It has been useful to me in the past.
I haven't heard of anyone having problems with XP, but if you PM me your email address, I will send you the videos as seseparate files.
SORTED! Not entirely sure what I did but it works now. Thanks everyone :)
Okay, just watched the videos, they helped so much.

OMG! This is a thing of beauty. What an elegant and FLUID billet tear. WOW!!!!!

Thank you Dr Bill

Derek
When I first read this I was a little dubious about the angles.

But then I performed it for some friends and I could not believe that you get such a HUGE peek and yet it is invisible to the audience.

It was truly an astounding moment for me!

I am officially a TDBT devotee!
Now using TDBT for some month. In no occasion somebody did even suspect there was the possibility for me to see anything.
But the most convincing proof came from a friend, a top creator and performer, who didn't know it, and who confirmed that even knowing that I was going to t*°r and p**k, he did not notice anything at all.
This happened in a bar, across a two-feet long table. (That is: under one's nose).
No better endorsement, Dr. Bill!
Thanks Ben and Danyel. I love getting reports from the trenches!

In the ad, when I wrote, "What should you look for in a Center Tear? As little as possible," I was being a bit cheeky but that is really what it is all about. Same with Iain Dunford's use of the word "Mundane" in his review as I feared that it might be misinterpreted but he couldn't have been more spot on when it comes to billet work and what I strove for with TDBT.

Hey, Danyel, feel free to send me a PM with the name of the performer! You have piqued my curiosity, lol.
Just adding my voice to the chorus: TDBT is a great investment (as is anything from the good doctor)- the step-by-step is first class, and the videos really help enormously. Excellent
First and foremost Dr. Bill is a gentleman. I ordered it yesterday morning on the Outlaw Magic site and received it a few hours later. I had some questions which Bill answere dpromptly and then sent the video file separately so I could voice them on my iPad.

Now on to the billet tear itself:

Amazing, easy, but not self working. I need to practice on a bit of finesse and timing needed to do this well. Is owed it to my 12 year old who is a budding mentalist. He can usually Spot when I do something, not this time. I showed it to him and just like in the video, I asked if he saw the peek. He said "No" I look forward to when I feel comfortable with this. The tearing of the business card is set up in such a way that it too is easy and doesn't need to be muscled. The rest of my thoughts are echoed in the previous accolades.

Highly recommended!!!
Thanks deiricm and Michael. I'm glad you are enjoying TDBT so much. I'm also glad you're taking the time to master it as I get nervous when someone writes they read TDBT and performed it later the same day. Yes, it is easy to do. But it takes practice and thought to do it well.
So last night I practiced in front of my 12 y/o son who is also learning magic and mentalism. He knows the moves and he was impressed. He knows when I had to do what I'd do and it happened so quickly. PS I love the flip subtlety at the end.
I didn't like the tear at first. However I kept going practicing it along with some other tears. Finally I "got it" and now its my tear of choice (for business cards).

A funny note. I work at a bank and some sales guy keeps a stack of his business cards on a table right by the Caféteria entrance. Every time I walk by I grab a few and tear them up. I wonder If the guy thinks I hate him...
Just recieved Br Bill's Billet Tear and am very pleased with it, especially sine it works particularly well with heavy duty flash paper. Unlike some paper once the 'work' has been put in it stays there.
[quote]
On 2014-01-10 08:17, Michael Bilkis wrote:
PS I love the flip subtlety at the end.
[/quote]

Agree...that 'subtlety' is marvelous...erases the possibility of trickery, in their minds. Very slick.
I have been using this as my go to tear since first reading the pdf.

Dr Bill has taken what was once a complicated process or tearing, swapping hands, orientating, peeking, tearing again etc... and has streamlined it so that you get all the info you need in the fastest and simplest way possible that gives you the biggest area you could ask for!

As I said to Bill, it's almost too easy!!!

If anyone has ever been hesitant about tears then I highly recommend you get this to cure your fears.

For anyone who wants the best tear around then I highly recommend this too!

Cheers
Art
Even though I am thoroughly pleased with Ran Pink's T-Rex, and use it all the time, I think I'm going to have to pick up Dr. Bill's Tear at some point and learn it too. I keep watching the demo video and it's just too good not to know.
I picked up T Rex and as good as it is I find that if the item I'm tearing is a business card I will use Dr Bills 99 times out of 100. It's so clean and simple it feels like cheating.

Mark
This is the only tear I'll ever need, I have a couple of specific pieces that make use of a CT as the action of tearing makes sense within the routine, and I couldn't have wished for an easier and direct process.

Message: Posted by: The Perceptionist (Mar 11, 2014 08:25PM)
[quote]
On Mar 11, 2014, CVawlle wrote:
This is the only tear I'll ever need, I have a couple of specific pieces that make use of a CT as the action of tearing makes sense within the routine, and I couldn't have wished for an easier and direct process.

[/quote]

I can't agree more, I especially prefer the flip variant!
Message: Posted by: count_cashliostro (Mar 13, 2014 12:20AM)
Everything by Dr. Bill is well-written and well thought out.
Yes, very elegant. I like it especially because there are (almost) no "area-restrictions". Very useful tool in the arsenal. After having produced a pile of confetti once more, I am ready to give it a try.
Dr. Bill's work is formidable on all accounts. The Dr's Billet Tear is without question natural, effective, user friendly and caused me to acquire a flat forehead from slapping my open palm against it saying, "why didn't I think of that!" :)

The man's creations in relation to the mind are healing, powerful, inspiring and pure works of art.
I'm still having a bit of an issue getting my finger to "pop it". I'm trying to be as vague as possible on purpose. If anyone else had this problem and solved it please PM.
It seems that I've been skipping step six. I'll give it some more practice.
I have this and think it's great. However, having focused primarily on card magic, I don't have any good routines for this. Can some of you share your favorite routines or uses for this tear?
My biggest issue with tears is the timing of the peek. I feel like I can't find the right moment.
[quote]
On Mar 29, 2014, twistedace wrote:
I'm still having a bit of an issue getting my finger to "pop it". I'm trying to be as vague as possible on purpose. If anyone else had this problem and solved it please PM.
[/quote]

Have the same problem no matter what, that's why I prefer TREX.
Pop it - Bill's bit with the thumb at the start, then a bend back as you go for the pop? ... To vague?

P**k: just like any p***. Justified. Bring hands up a bit as you Get ready with pop, look up as you ask them to put their hands out and keep hold of it or tear it up, as you say "hands" look down at their hand as you bring your hands into your line of sight looking at their hands, pop it (if you havent already, p**k tear it ... The hand that goes forward (this should also be the hand that you natural hand someone something with) in the tearing motion immediately takes the closest hands pieces AS the closet hand comes forward a bit and gives its pieces to the forward, AS you turn your away and extend the forward hand to deposit into their hand.
I got it. I feel that using this as part of a routine with two billets is the way to go.
[quote]
[/quote]

The best way to get that pop is to find the card twice - long then short side. Normal.

Then with the side facing you stick your thumb in to the closest folds and stick left thumb in and push up - separatti g the two sides as thumb pushes all the way from bottom to top - creating a kind of tented look at this one fold. Now unfold card complete and do as you always do.

After making this extra push you will find that when making the move your finger will now better catch - facilitating a better pop and easier move.

Hope that helps.
I use the AN fold for this which has never failed when doing the "pop" as you described.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Art
[quote]
On Mar 29, 2014, Vincent V. wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Have the same problem no matter what, that's why I prefer TREX.
[/quote]

I love and use t-Rex too but it is no easier or harder to me. Just different. Both are tops.
[quote]
My biggest issue with tears is the timing of the peek. I feel like I can't find the right moment.
[/quote]

Actually I love the technique of the tear and the popping of the torn billet, but I have the same problem with the moment of the peek, as the "center" of the tear is large. I hope Bill Cushman can give his ideas here on the "moment" of the peek.
Anyways very nice explanations on the pdf, but I don't see any videos as it's mentioned.
I have found in the brief brief amount of time using it that it's best to use two billets and spectators. I eliminate one and use that info at another time. There are other great ideas here and in the inner thoughts section, where this conversation should probably leave.
Yep inner thoughts.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2014, pourang65 wrote:
Anyways very nice explanations on the pdf, but I don't see any videos as it's mentioned. [/quote]
pourang65,
If you are using an apple device (as I am), you will need to be sure to open the pdf file using Adobe Acrobat Reader instead of Preview as I believe Alex Tan posted on Apr 14, 2013 (I did the same thing on my Macbook) a little earlier in this thread.
Bon chance,
Larry
An updated version of Adobe Flash is also recommended.
So I've been using very happily Ran Pink's T-Rex for the last year or so. After seeing The Dr.'s Billet Tear demo and reading the many rave reviews, I decided to buy it from Dr. Bill. Actually, I thought about it for months, asking myself, 'Do you really need another CT?'.

I kept watching the demo video. It was so smooth. No rushed or sneaky moves. So simple and clean in appearance. Could this really be?

Indeed it is!

The Dr.'s Billet Tear is amazing and wonderful, and looks EXACTLY like it's shown in the demo video. VERY impressed, and VERY pleased with this purchase. In particular I appreciate that The Dr.'s Billet Tear is smooth, simple and quite easy to do; no un-natural moves; no having to look away when you tear the paper or card; you can use many different types of paper or card stock, including business cards, billets made from index cards, etc. It looks AMAZING and incredibly DECEPTIVE.

Thank you, Dr. Bill, for this wonderful creation.
Hi there,

This is my first message, I hope I am writing in the right section.

This in regards to the presentation for any tear, I hope somebody can help me.

I have performed different tears (T-Rex, Dr Bills, R2D2) plenty of times to friends and family members which still wonder how I manage to correctly predict what they have written down.

The main problems I am facing is that, after I perform the tears, the participants usually do all of the following three things:

1. They ask me to explain how the tear works
2. They ask me to perform it another time, this time with them holding and tearing the billet and with me never touching it. Obviously this latter part is impossible.
3. They yell theories on when I peaked, which are all the time wrong. The most common one is something like 'you observed my pen's movements even though you were looking away by using a mirror's reflection two rooms down to the right.'

Anyone helping me deal with this would be great.

Best
[quote]On May 26, 2014, hacksignd wrote:
Hi there,

This is my first message, I hope I am writing in the right section.

This in regards to the presentation for any tear, I hope somebody can help me.

I have performed different tears (T-Rex, Dr Bills, R2D2) plenty of times to friends and family members which still wonder how I manage to correctly predict what they have written down.

The main problems I am facing is that, after I perform the tears, the participants usually do all of the following three things:

1. They ask me to explain how the tear works
2. They ask me to perform it another time, this time with them holding and tearing the billet and with me never touching it. Obviously this latter part is impossible.
3. They yell theories on when I peaked, which are all the time wrong. The most common one is something like 'you observed my pen's movements even though you were looking away by using a mirror's reflection two rooms down to the right.'

Anyone helping me deal with this would be great.

Best [/quote]

Welcome to the Café for your 1st post - it would be great if you told us all a little about yourself and your background please as an intro.

1. Why would anyone in the world think or as how a "tear" works? Are you performing this for your wife or friends/family?

If so they may have caught you ay some point when you were "practicing" - just a guess. There is simply no reason for anyone to ask about how the tear works unless you are perhaps performing it for the wrong audience, performing it incorrectly, or not properly presenting the effect. The card should be MEANINGLESS. The tear should not be rushed. It should almost be an afterthought. The P**k should not be rushed either.

2. Why would anyone ask you to perform it a 2nd time... with special conditions? The effect is not the CT. It sounds like you are making the CT the star of the show rather than your presentation. The focus should not be on the CT. The fact that you say others are asking you to do it as a repeat indicates that you need to focus on more study of the effect, some cold reading, and doing the effect on strangers rather than your pals or family.

3. They yell theories? Who? Who is yelling? Again, sounds like family or friends. Wrong people to be performing this for one you have he CT well learned. The point here is that even if theor theories or guesses are wrong - for some reason the spectators are seeing this as a PUZZLE to be solved (magic trick) rather than an effect.
There are people I now choose not to perform for simply because their only desire is to try to figure out and expose the method. While that may be 'entertaining' for them, it's not why I perform, and not how I want to spend my time or energy.

I'd much rather spend my time performing, engaging, interacting with people who find what I do amazing, fun, and who just really enjoy the experience.
What I've gathered from reading posts and reviews is that T-rex and TDBT work very well with business cards. However, I was wondering whether people preferred R2-D2, T-rex, or The Dr's Billet Tear for normal paper.
So I just found out about Dr's Billet Tear and saw it is $35 on Penguin. But you can find it half price here: http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/e-books/drs-billet-tear.html

Just thought I would mention it to people.
[quote]On May 28, 2014, hashtagmagic wrote:
What I've gathered from reading posts and reviews is that T-rex and TDBT work very well with business cards. However, I was wondering whether people preferred R2-D2, T-rex, or The Dr's Billet Tear for normal paper. [/quote]

For normal paper I would recommend Osterlinds Tear: http://osterlindmysteries.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=17
R2-D2 works perfectly on normal paper. With lighter weight paper, you might want to use the ALTERNATE version taught in the book, but frankly, I like to avoid paper that's [b]too[/b] light in weight, as people think (possibly correctly!) that you can see through it.
For light ('normal') paper, I'll stick to Barrie Richardson's tear. I've tried quite a few tears and that one suits me best.
When in comes to heavier stock, TDBT would be my pick.
But I'd like to add TDBT works fine with normal paper as well. It works with all kinds of papers. The only reason why I use with heavy stock only (playing cards,...) is I'm so used to the BRT and it's so good (except for heavy stock).

I would rate BRT and TDBT as my two favourite (and I've tried about everything you can name, but for T-Rex). But if someone who didn't use CT and wanted to start asked me which one to pick, I'd recommend TDBT, not only because it's simple and efficient, but also because of the documents you get with it!!! Basics and principles are well covered and explained, the 7DS routine is very good, and of course the method is, as I wrote, simple and efficient. It's a great value!
Cervier opined:[quote]... I'll stick to Barrie Richardson's tear.[/quote]
It might be useful to specify what tear is being recommended here: Barrie has published quite a few (very different) tears over the years! Probably the most popular is his "Business Card Center Tear", but that (as the title suggests) was designed specifically for business cards.
Let's not remember this is about Dr Bill's tear...not anyone else's....all the others have their own thread(s)..
[quote]On Nov 10, 2014, ddyment wrote:
It might be useful to specify what tear is being recommended here (...) Probably the most popular is his "Business Card Center Tear"[/quote]
That's the one. Funnily enough, I never use it with business cards, tearing through a fold can be awkwardy difficult. So I had changed the handling a little bit for such occasions. But I didn't like that because I could get confused between the usual handling and that spectal one...

At any rate, I happily use that tear for any kind of paper of (almost) any size.

And now, for heavier stock, as I wrote, I use TDBT. It would work with lighter stock as well but I'm too used to BCT to abandon it :)
[quote]On Nov 11, 2014, Cervier wrote:
[quote]On Nov 10, 2014, ddyment wrote:
It might be useful to specify what tear is being recommended here (...) Probably the most popular is his "Business Card Center Tear"[/quote]
That's the one. Funnily enough, I never use it with business cards, tearing through a fold can be awkwardy difficult. So I had changed the handling a little bit for such occasions. But I didn't like that because I could get confused between the usual handling and that spectal one...

At any rate, I happily use that tear for any kind of paper of (almost) any size.

And now, for heavier stock, as I wrote, I use TDBT. It would work with lighter stock as well but I'm too used to BCT to abandon it :) [/quote]

after experimenting with dozens of tears I arrived at the same choices.