(Close Window)
Topic: What rope trick is the greatest rope miracle you do?
I haven't done ropes in a while.
So I need to catch up on rope miracles. I don't mean a worker, or decent. What rope trick utterly
blows away your audience? Where can I read it/get it?

Magic is the only hobby where you can disappear for a while, and reappear, and be better than ever.

Thanks,
scott
Dances With Ropes - Magic Ian
Awakening - Dan Harlan
Whit Haydn- Rope teach-in
[b]Neff's Miracle Rope. Sold by Abbott's.[/b]
Loose Ends by john Zander. No longer available but an excellent routine!

Used Neff's Miracle Rope as an opener for years though. Love it!

Andre
I don't do Tabary's routine, but it killed most magician's when he first did it. There were moves that I never saw before. It is available on DVD.
I think you can see the routine on youtube. He was on a World's Greatest MAgic TV special with John Ritter hosting.
Check it out...it will confuse and amaze you.
Each and every one. should blow away an audience
Percy 'put out' the NEFF C/R ROPE, but, I have an ad for the same effect by Will Lindhorst years before that. I wont mention the
catalog name of the effect, as it might tip the method.

Also, the late Harold Denhard (who wrote a booklet on various rope tricks--published by Magic Inc. about 30 years ago)had a similar effect, but never received much credit for it.

Anyway, it's a 'VEST POCKET MIRACLE'! As Andre says, "...used it as an opener..."
Pavel's walking knot.
Rope through body is amazing.

Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot is amusing.

Frankly there are sooo many fun Rope effects it's hard to choose which ones to use in a show.

I still keep learning new ones but I don't think I have a problem.... I can stop anytime I want.

-Mary Mowder
I love my ungimmicked linking rope effect.
I love MY ungimmicked linking rope effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsjqzqyYSU
Very Very nice effect Mr Ian.
Neff's Miracle Rope, Linking Ropes, or Fiber Optics
Tabray Rope Routine. It kills
There are a couple of versions of the Neff Miracle Rope Effect which don't have to be done as an opener.

The Neff Miracle Rope was performed by Bill Cosby in one of Doug Henning's TV Specials. (His 7th Special, done in 1981.)

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Right Denny!
When I made the above post, I didn't want to (at that point) introduce 'one more variation'.

I've forgotten from whom I got the original tip on using NEFF in other than an opener. --Was it you?

I also had forgotten the Cosby 'rendition'!

Thanks for reminding me!

BTW>>>The routine that you and I worked out (about 1971!)that involved the Karl Germaine c/r plus the 'improved' Ed Victor c/r and the Slydini 'nitemare cut', the nitemare with Karrell's ideas and the "pre-Conway" restoration, got the most response (and questions after the show) than any rope trick, I've ever done.

I cannot ever thank you enough for your knowledge, and inspiration in developing that material.
Hi Dick,

Yes, I'm the one that alerted you to the variation on the Bill Neff rope which does not have to be done as an opener. Alas, my memory fails me as to where I found out about it. I recall seeing it in a book, but just can't recall which book.

I believe that we first worked out the variations of the Professor's Nightmare for your program on "The Puzzling Environment." Does that seem right to you? As you know, I have used a very similar sequence of rope effects for many years. This was my "closer" for my Parlour Act at the Magic Castle back in the days when I would perform there once a year. I shudder to think of how much rope you and I have cut up over the years. My routine starts with a length of rope of about 12 feet which gets cut up into many pieces. I've always picked up the pieces from the floor at the end of my school shows and passed them out to the kids as souvenirs. The one remaining longer piece (about 5') is given to my onstage volunteer to keep. I fondly recall the good old days when you could buy 300' spools of magician's rope from the Forsythe Twine Company in Georgia. During the years I toured for National School assemblies I bought full cases of those spools, getting them shipped to friends who were on my route. Sundays were always laundry day during those tours and when I would get a fresh case or two of the rope I would sit in the laundromat while waiting for my clothes to wash and dry and would cut the rope into the proper lengths and pull out the core. I imagine that you had a similar ritual.

I apologize to others reading this thread. I hope that you found some of this to be of interest.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis

P. S. The "Karrell Fox" nightmare moves may go back to earlier sources, but if so, I've never come across them.
Here's a very simple approach to using the Neff rope during your show. You announce that you are going to do a trick with a piece of rope. You get up a volunteer and hand him the scissors (you need someone else to cut the rope for you in the Neff effect.) You then look into your table and seem to have trouble finding the rope. You apologize and mention that you forgot to put it into the case and step into the wings. You come out with the rope held as necessary and have the spectator cut the rope in the middle and then proceed with the restoration. You finish with an ungimmicked rope which you can give to the assisting spectator as a souvenir if you like.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
My addition to the Neff Miracle Rope was to have the spectator tie his ring to the end of the rope before it is cut. It is, of course, still there after the restoration, negating any thoughts of a switch without saying anything.
Andre,
What a clever idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis

P.S. I saw Bill Neff do this trick just once: At one of the Abbott Magic Get-Togethers in Colon. I believe it was in the Sixties. And, I'm pretty sure that Dick Oslund was also in the audience.
Hey Denny!
I certainly wish that I had been there for the "Neff Get Together"! Unfortunately, I wasn't. --and I can't remember why I wasn't! I do have a copy of the Neff book. It's great, but I would have traded a dozen of the books for the chance to see Bill Neff in person.

Yes, you an I developed the c/r rope & nightmare routine for the PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT. I did that program 335 times that season. It played well, but, I was glad when we 'loaded the wagon' after the final date. With a little rewriting of the lines, that rope routine was the opening of the High School show for many years.

The last time I stopped in Forsythe GA to pick up a supply of rope, the factory had been sold and the new owner was not interested in making rope for magicians. I remember you telling me that when you did your first tour for Jack West, you bought a season's supply of rope. Recil Bordner said it was the biggest rope order in Abbott's history!

Remember Gen Grant's "50/50 Cut & Restored Rope"? He sold it while still in Pittsfield Mass. some time before moving to Columbus OH. When Karrell showed me his "improvement' on Bob Carver's masterpiece, I immediately realized that 'this' was the way to do the nightmare! Then, it hit me! It was the set up move for the 50/50! I never asked Karrell about it. --you know what his reaction would have been! I had only seen the 50/50 done once! (On Doug's first special with Bill Cosby as the "assistant"!

I like your get ready for the Neff c/r in mid show. (Do I 'smell' Harry's second cage vanish???)

With the snow that we've been having, I am seriously thinking of going south next winter. (Probably Green Bay!)

Down the road!

O

PS: My apologies also to the guys. Denny and I 'go back' to 1960! We've 'cut up a lot of jackpots over those years.
Oh, for the chance to have a time machine and get to see Dr. Neff's Madhouse of Mystery show! His "Miracle Rope" always struck me as one of the better inventions in Rope Magic. I have never performed it and have never seen it done by anyone else, but I can imagine that it is well... a miracle!

My favorite rope routines are:

1) My own Blindfolded Cut and Restored Rope (the microphone cord is accidentally cut)

2) My version of Juan Pablo's "Roped" (it involves a hangman's noose)

3) Invisible Rope by Pavel (the greatest rope magic genius, EVER!)
Where can a rope magic lover like me learn the ungimmicked linking rope routine? HINT HINT HINT

I learned a great gimmicked version from my pal Ian, and if someone can tell me where I can learn an ungimmicked version I would love it. HINT HINT HINT
You have it Al, unless the version you have was ery early, it is a bonus effect on "Dances with Ropes"
It is on the demo or here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGsjqzqyYSU
I pm'd you...I may have a download for you.
Al Angelo,

There's another Linking Ropes Routine with ungimmicked ropes. It was created by Wayne Raeke who showed it to me at a magic convention and fooled me very badly. Wayne is or was a sufferer of Spina Bifida and was confined to a wheel chair but still did some great magic.

I still have my copy of the booklet which Wayne produced. These phrases appear on the front cover:
"No Gimmicks"
"Can be done with borrowed ropes"
Both of the statements are true.

I suppose that the only place you might be able to borrow the ropes is if you are performing in the home of a brother magician.

Another feature of this routine is that you can pass out the ropes and leave them with someone as a souvenir still linked together!

On the back cover of the booklet it says: "Martini Magic, P.O. Box 189, Delta, PA 17314" The book is copyright 1981. I suspect it's long out of print, but you might be able to find a used copy. The book has 14 excellent illustrations. If you enjoy fooling your brother magicians, you might want to get ahold of a copy of this routine.

To Dick,
I was not aware that I made the biggest rope purchase in Abbott's History. Thanks for sharing that.

To others reading this: Dick mentioned touring for "Jack West." He was the owner/manager of the old National School Assemblies Agency. I toured for them for five years with my ex-wife Annette. A few years later, after Annette and I had split I returned to do a single season for National. By then Fortsythe had closed and I bought the rope from Abbott's.

After one of my shows I had a student who had gotten a piece of my rope as a souvenir come up to me after the show. He said he knew how I did my rope tricks and pulled out a few inches of the core of the rope as if that explained something. When it happened again, I took to pulling the core out of the rope myself before using it. A few months later, another student came up with a piece of the rope after a show and said he knew how it was done. When I asked what he meant he said: "The rope is Hollow!" You can't win.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
To Dick,

Yes, my thinking on the Miracle rope was inspired by seeing both Blackstone and Harry Junior "Get another bird and another cage and do it again."

When I was a student at Alma College we had to wear Coats and Ties for the evening meals. I often was set up with the bird cage. I got quite creative about where I would go to "get" the cage so I could do the vanish. While I've always admired Walter Blaney's ability to reach behind his back and bring out the cage I didn't like doing it that way because it suggests that the cage disappears somewhere on your person.

The only vanishing bird cage I've ever used was purchased from Abbott's. In those days they had them made by Blackstone Sr's brother Pete Bouton. At one of the Get-Togethers I had Pete sign my copy of the instructions. For some reason I tired of it and sold the cage (with the instructions) at a magic auction in Ann Arbor. A stupid thing to do. I should have held on to it, or donated it to Bob Lund's magic museum.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
[quote]
On 2013-04-18 13:53, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Al Angelo,

There's another Linking Ropes Routine with ungimmicked ropes. It was created by Wayne Raeke who showed it to me at a magic convention and fooled me very badly. Wayne is or was a sufferer of Spina Bifida and was confined to a wheel chair but still did some great magic.

I still have my copy of the booklet which Wayne produced. These phrases appear on the front cover:
"No Gimmicks"
"Can be done with borrowed ropes"
Both of the statements are true.

I suppose that the only place you might be able to borrow the ropes is if you are performing in the home of a brother magician.

Another feature of this routine is that you can pass out the ropes and leave them with someone as a souvenir still linked together!

On the back cover of the booklet it says: "Martini Magic, P.O. Box 189, Delta, PA 17314" The book is copyright 1981. I suspect it's long out of print, but you might be able to find a used copy. The book has 14 excellent illustrations. If you enjoy fooling your brother magicians, you might want to get ahold of a copy of this routine.

To Dick,
I was not aware that I made the biggest rope purchase in Abbott's History. Thanks for sharing that.

To others reading this: Dick mentioned touring for "Jack West." He was the owner/manager of the old National School Assemblies Agency. I toured for them for five years with my ex-wife Annette. A few years later, after Annette and I had split I returned to do a single season for National. By then Fortsythe had closed and I bought the rope from Abbott's.

After one of my shows I had a student who had gotten a piece of my rope as a souvenir come up to me after the show. He said he knew how I did my rope tricks and pulled out a few inches of the core of the rope as if that explained something. When it happened again, I took to pulling the core out of the rope myself before using it. A few months later, another student came up with a piece of the rope after a show and said he knew how it was done. When I asked what he meant he said: "The rope is Hollow!" You can't win.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
[/quote]
I felt that other version did not have enough misdirection and was too difficult to restore, that is it wasn't complete. Also the hesitation of the link was not entertaining enough but it was more of a puzzle solution.
Another vote for Pavel's Walking Knot.

-Leo
I think that Martini Magic has Wayne Raeke's excellent booklet in stock - it is still listed on his web page, [url=http://-http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html]here.[/url]
What a wealth of rope miracles, fellow magi, I can't thank you enough. As a start, I bought Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, which should have Neff's miracle rope. Now, today, I just got a strand of rope from Dick Oslund to apply a principle from a c & r string to a special stranded rope.

Thanks for the many miracles you mentioned. I will save everything mentioned here.
Sincerely,
Scott
I just dug around in my library and found an 8 1/2 x 11 13 page booklet called the "Bill Neff Bonanza" It has a $3.00 price on the cover, but a free copy was given to all of those that registered for the Abbott Get-Together of 1961. Inside it mentions the Miracle Rope Trick and even states that it can be done in the middle of your show. But it doesn't tell you how.

Neff used mostly apparatus magic and most of it was from Abbott's and this booklet is a treasure trove of handling and routining apparatus magic effects. It also discusses Make-Up, costuming, lighting, publicity, and booking. It tough to read as it's all single spaced with a typewriter font and has no pictures or illustrations other than on the inside of the front and back covers. Still, I recommend it for its information.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
I use to do the Neff rope trick as a youngster, it was very magical even to me. The instructions Abbott's provide tell how to do the trick in the middle of your act. It is an old gag, that may not play as well as it did in the 1940's and 1950's. It was finding a piece of material hanging out of your sleeve. When it was pulled out, it was a red ladies nylon stocking or as some use to call them Silk Stocking.

I remember old black and white movies that would make a big deal out of giving silk stockings to their girlfriend overseas. The girl would be elated over receiving them. So, I guess that was the idea behind the stocking in the sleeve. Played much like the "Professor Cheer Rope Trick", finding rope hanging out of your sleeve after a cut and restored rope trick.

Without going to the instructions, I believe they mentioned red silk trick was previously to the audience discovery of the portion of red stick out of the sleeve.

I don't know if there is any sight gags today that would fit in to replace this stocking idea. Today, not many women were such things anymore. Although, I still get laughs at "Rice's Baffling Bloomer's" effect.

I remember that another un-gimmicked linking ropes was created by a magician who live in Texas I believe. He has passed, but everyone raved about the no gimmick linking ropes. He has been discussed on the Café, Jeff William's or something like that, anyone remember?
10/4 Dennis!
I didn't get to the Bill Neff GTG, but I have in my archaeological midden heap, a copy of the Bill Neff Bonanza. You're right--it is hard to read. but it does have a lot us useful information.

If someone is interested, I could be prevailed upon to part company with it, for a reasonable price.

Dick Oslund (himself)
Last time I worked Abbott's Get Together, I did the Neff Rope trick and fried the audience, soon after Abbott's SOLD OUT and had to make another batch of them next day. I also have done Shot and Restored gag. Spec shoots a blank gun at me, rope breaks in two, I spit out a bullet, then restore rope.
My current version would be (cos you can't bring scissors on planes) is to chew the rope into two pieces.
Pete>>I haven't done the Neff thing for years. (Too much 'prep.time' for the school show, and also, I didn't always wear a coat.)

When I was 'playing' with it, years ago, I even tried it as a "restoration with out cutting". I opened with it. I came on with "two pieces" of rope and they changed visibly to one piece. It played well.

--In 1970,I was planning the PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT tour. Neil showed me the ONE TWO ONE trick, it was easier to set, and I could get two effects out of it. I used it for a whole season (335 programs) when I did the PUZZLING ENVIRONMENT program for North Dakota State University.

I still use it when I want a 'faster' opening than with the color change silk.

With the original inst. came a version by Bob Cervas. You could show the 'two pieces" far apart in both hands, and then do the two to one move.

At Abbotts, about 15 or 20 years ago, Karrell "showed" me that method. He thought that he had invented it, and sold it through SUPREME. I told him it came with the original Grant instructions. He didn't want to believe it, but, I had the original instructions! As good friends as we were, Karrell would 'cuss me out' when I 'called him' on things of this nature. It happened a number of times over the years. (The toy 'blowouts' with the aquarium tubing, is a good example. It was in a SPHINX (or possibly GENII).

Hint: I never tried it, but, I think with a bit of careful measuring, you could do Carver's Nightmare with the Cervas ropes.
I will vote for the Pavel's super walking knot;

By the way is there on the web a video of Neff's miracle rope?
Daryls Rope Routine. It always kills.

Ryan
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (Apr 20, 2013 01:38PM)
As Dennis mentioned, if you can track down Wayne Raeke's Ungimmicked Linking Ropes, do it. IMHO, it's the best ungimmicked linking ropes routine there is. Also, there is gentleman from the UK who has an ungimmicked version of Walking Knot that kills.
Aaron...John Cornelius had a 'simplified' version of a walking knot in his lecture about 20 years ago.

It could be done with the pieces of rope used for the PN.
For $15 you can pick up Wayne Raeke's Ungimmicked Linking Ropes (it is a manuscript, not a DVD).

Go Here: http://www.martinismagic.com/Products.html

sdmagic
Thanks SDmagic,
The Raeke ungimmicked linking ropes must be a miracle. Yes, I did check it out and saw it at http://www.martinismagic.com
for 15 dollars. Thanks to Dennis' approval, this is a must buy. Marty Martini is a class act and his products and
customer service are incredible. Thanks for another rope miracle.

Thanks, thanks for some rope miracles.
Scott
[quote]
On 2013-04-18 18:36, vampiro wrote:
What a wealth of rope miracles, fellow magi, I can't thank you enough. As a start, I bought Stewart James' "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks, which should have Neff's miracle rope. Now, today, I just got a strand of rope from Dick Oslund to apply a principle from a c & r string to a special stranded rope.

Thanks for the many miracles you mentioned. I will save everything mentioned here.
Sincerely,
Scott
[/quote]
Dick,
Your mention of a restoration without cutting reminds me of a silly thing I came up with for a magic club meeting. I held a piece of rope and said I would do the Cut and Restored Rope Backwards. First I would restore the rope. I gathered up the ends, snapped my fingers, and showed that the rope was now a complete circle of rope. (This was not the old bit of holding the ends together... I could spin the circle of rope on a finger.) The I mentioned that to get back to a normal rope I just had to cut it. I cut the rope anywhere and triumphantly held up the length of rope.

I didn't do this often because it required a setup. It was just a pair or rope g*****ks in the ends of the rope. You could also do it with m****ts if you wish.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
As to the Raeke ungimmicked linking ropes: Wayne did it quite well, but to be honest it was not as clean as the standard gimmicked Linking Ropes. I also used the standard effect for lay audiences and saved Waynes routine to fry brother magicians.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
I love Marconick's rope through neck. It's simple, direct, and astounding.
Vampiro:

You ask a great question, which, I think, pretty much depends on your performing circumstances...in other words, for a stage performance, you might want to try a rope trick that "plays big"....the two tricks that come to mind for stage are Bill Neff's Miracle rope and Pavel's Super Walking knot..

For strolling, there is a complete different dynamic...my best suggestion is to look through Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks and also any of the George Sands booklets........MANY rope tricks pay homage to George Sands.....and the Abbott's Encyclopedia is a WEALTH of information about rope magic.
To answer the OP's original question, "What is the greatest rope miracle" that you do. The answer has to be the "Professor Nitemare" aka "My Favorite Rope Trick" aka "Equal Unequal Rope Trick". Not only is it one of the greatest and most used Rope tricks in existence, it also is the basis for Richard Sanders and Daryl and Dan Harlan's latest rope trick. I am sure there are others that I have forgotten of unaware of as of this posting.

It is only "Unequaled" (pun intended) to Harold Sterling's Short And Long Rope Routine, performed with only one adult spectator compared to Harold's use of 2 children in his very funny and magical routine.
As I said before, the Raeke method is a clever knot and a good puzzle, but I feel it is incomplete as a routine.
I thought up a follow up to it, by cutting the rope, thus unlinking the three ropes, but allowing me to instantly go into Sands, or Sanders, or my ungimmicked rope effect.
That makes it a well rounded routine.
A version of Professor's Nightmare.
[b]Sterling's Short/Long Rope (no setup)
Neff's Miracle Rope (setup)[/b]
I do a 1 rope routine based on fibreoptics I threw in a cut and resored with a TT and everytime I do it or the proffessors nightmare version of fibreoptics I get crazy good reactions. and also 1 handed 1 second knot is killer to do I get a real stunned reaction to that one and it's so easy to do.
The Will Rogers snap knot is the greatest rope trick that I do and it was taught to me by Dennis Loomis.

The above posts from Dennis Loomis were the last posts he made at this forum before his untimely death RIP Dennis Loomis a one of a kind guy.
Al:

Dennis wisdom is sorely missed here. Luckily for us, Dick Oslund, a living magic legend, is here and he is posting much wisdom in these forums as well. He and I live in the same state...and hope to get together soon! I am looking forward to meeting him face to face!
Harlod Sterling's (Short and Long Rope)it's a staple in my shows. Lots of yelling and screaming from the children.
A piece of rope8 ft long can do 4 to 5 performances.
Tricky Ricky
I do a simple Prodessor's Nightmare with a story/routine of my own - dyed the ropes pink and introduce them as worm brothers - Wendle, Walter and Wesley Worm. Each is special but wish they were like the others - until they are all the same length and realize they are knot special any more. Luckily it was a nightmare and when they wake up all is right with the world.
[quote]
On 2013-06-01 10:21, MrG wrote:
I do a simple Prodessor's Nightmare with a story/routine of my own - dyed the ropes pink and introduce them as worm brothers - Wendle, Walter and Wesley Worm. Each is special but wish they were like the others - until they are all the same length and realize they are knot special any more. Luckily it was a nightmare and when they wake up all is right with the world.
[/quote]

LOL......when I did a lot of kid shows I told a similar story, but called them: inch worm, earth worm, and tapeworm. That usually got a chuckle out of the adults.
I did the Neff Rope as an opener on cruise ships using a De Kolta pull with a catgut loop that went around my middle finger. I opened with the Slydini Scissors. Three ropes the same length were laid side by side on the table, the Neff rope gimmick hanging behind. I would pick up a rope, find the center, cut it, snip off the pieces, and restore it and toss it to the audience. I would do the same thing again. The third time, I picked up the rope, attached the catgut loop to the right end, and picked up the bundle in my left. I handed the scissors to a front row spectator (they never noticed or commented on the scissors--the gimmick doesn't look important) and had him cut in the middle. I threw the ropes toward each other, and they visibly heal, and I tossed it out to the crowd. It was a strong opener.
You can't top Pop. LOL
Jeff Sheridan's Swan Lake routine is pretty good too.
Straight up classical cut and restore a rope. Then I link a red rope and a white rope together (the first Dean's Box routine without the box). I do both of these only once.

I don't see how it's possible to do better than this. The best cut and restore and the best penetration routines with ropes.
[quote]
On 2013-06-13 08:52, Caféinst wrote:
I link a red rope and a white rope together (the first Dean's Box routine without the box). I do both of these only once.

best penetration routines with ropes.
[/quote]

If I remember, the red/white link was a Paul Curry thing. Jack Hart showed it to me in Ontario, CA about 20 years ago--and it knocked my socks off!!!

I use it regularly, too. (Around the neck, it's not angle proof, but I only do it when....)
I do the red/white link it in my hand in plain view, not behind the neck. The spectator can see everything except what is in my closed hand. I performed it for my local Society of American Magicians meeting and they liked it. I've fooled many people with it. It can be angle-proof too if one is careful.

I developed it after I saw Dean's Box and realized that I couldn't afford the box. I also can do the 2nd routine with Dean's Box with only a magic wand and the two ropes but without the box.

Dean's Box is great, as the box adds mystery to the effect, but the box is not necessary to produce the red/white link effect.
One of the best routine for me is the walking not of Doug Henning.
The spectator cut the rope, the spectato do the knot, the knot is moving from the left to the right, and the spectator open the knot !! Crazy !!

And I like two effects in my rope act, rope thru the body (new and personnal version) and the walking knot...but with a knot moving alone on the rope...

A very good comercial routine is Fiber Optic by Richard Sanders !!
Well, I guess that this thread simply points out that doing a Magic Trick with ropes is the "Near-Perfect" Magician's performance piece, with a HUGE pallet of time-tested audience pleasers to choose from!~

You can do rope magic ANYWHERE, up-close, strolling, on-stage, with no language or patter misunderstanding..........regardless of the language spoken, and everyone understands that you're doing a rope trick.

Rope Magic can be played BIG or small, and you can develop so many different tricks and routines, short and cute, up-close and personal, or big, huge, dramatic and mysterious stage Mini-Illlusions.

For me, personally, carrying around a "plain old piece of rope" in my left front pants pocket along with two Fifty-Cent pieces in my right front pocket means I'm ALWAYS ready to go at a moment's notice...
[quote]
On 2013-07-14 07:28, Sébastien wrote:
One of the best routine for me is the walking not of Doug Henning.
The spectator cut the rope, the spectato do the knot, the knot is moving from the left to the right, and the spectator open the knot !! Crazy !!

[/quote]

Yes! When I first learned the method for this, I was just as amazed. Very clever!
Is the Bill Neff rope trick on video someplace. I done the typical YouTube and google searches and not found any videos of that specific rope trick .
I would like to see a video of the Bill Neff rope trick but I have not had any luck yet either.

John
As Dennis Loomis mentioned at the beginning of this thread, the Neff Miracle Rope was performed by Bill Cosby in one of Doug Henning's TV Specials. (His 7th Special, back in 1981.), but I don't see it online anywhere either ...
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 19:39, dykstraj99 wrote:
Is the Bill Neff rope trick on video someplace. I done the typical YouTube and Google searches and not found any videos of that specific rope trick .
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2013-09-18 01:18, john Graybeal wrote:
I would like to see a video of the Bill Neff rope trick but I have not had any luck yet either.

John
[/quote]

The Bill Neff Miracle (Cut and Restored Visual) Rope trick may not play well on television, due to the handling. I would say it fools the eyes of any audience, but the camera is totally different. Thus it would most likely have to be edited for viewing, then you would feel you were being duped but you are not, but most would feel that are.

If all you want to do is see it, then forget it, if you want to perform it, then buy it and perform it for other. It is not that expensive.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/Miracle-Rope-by-Bill-Neff-ABBmirropnef.htm?categoryId=-1
The Neff Rope was a running gag with Cosby in the first Henning Special: 1975.
I really love Darryl's Acrobatic knot.
Here are my current favourtie rope routines:
1)Pavel's 'Super Walking Knot'
2)Scott Alexander's 'Slashed'
3)Richard Sanders 'Fibre Optics'
As a lot of you know I’ve been posting videos recently of my 7 year old son performing magic. Partially because I am very proud of him and partly because it’s frustrating for him not being able to perform for real people at the moment and he gets a buzz reading other magicians comments.

Over the last few weeks I put up videos of him doing coin manipulation, card magic, cups and balls and sponge balls. However the fibre optics routine is something very new to him - rope magic. He’s worked on this routine for a long time.

A lot of you will know Richard Sanders Fibre Optics routine. It’s very tricky and lots of phases and when Ryland started he hadn’t done rope magic before.

I think he’s done an amazing job and wanted to share this. Let me know what you think as he reads everyone’s comments. And if you like it please subscribe to his channel. It would mean the world to him.

Thanks everyone.

https://youtu.be/NKT64wX9E18
Thanks to everyone. One of my favorite threads. Some of these comments were written by dear magicians who have passed on. Ian--dances with ropes, Pete Biro, Dennis Loomis. And some of these posts include mention of Pavel and Daryl who have passed on. Oh how I wish I could have known them to discuss things and to enjoy them.

But we must carry on with magic. Before we join the ones who are in the place we will go to. See some have devoted part of their lives to great magic ..... Wow. Sorry for being sentimental. But it just hits me hard.
I like:
The Awakening by Dan Harlan
and
The Rope Circle by Jeki Yoo

KJ
I take a two foot piece of clothesline, plainly cut it in half and immediately throw it out to the audience restored. End clean. Learned it in 1976.

Doug
[quote]On Dec 20, 2020, Dougini wrote:
I take a two foot piece of clothesline, plainly cut it in half and immediately throw it out to the audience restored. End clean. Learned it in 1976.

Doug [/quote]

Sounds great, Doug. I hate cutting rope during performances, but I'm guessing you aren't going through a lot of rope in your performance. I like the idea, and I'm pretty sure I know exactly how you do it.

KJ
A one-time set up for a very special occasion. Not for walk-around! LOL!

Doug