(Close Window)
Topic: Double Faced Super Triple Coin... WHAT!!!
Ok... so what gives with this Double Faced Super Triple Coin I just purchased... purchased used off the Café, but like new... I can see why it's like new... the set is unusable. The magnets between the "tail" coin and the middle coin are so strong that I can't even begin to slide them apart. I had to jam a fingernail between them (which in turn doesn't do wonders for the edge of the stickers.

Yes... I've read all the threads about using carmex and hand lotion or getting a Wiccan to cast a anti-gravity spell upon the coins, but that's not the point. How can someone sell a product that is engineered to be defective before it even leaves the hands of the manufacturer? What did I get? Some sort of prototype that was still in the development stages?

They DO NOT separate in the manner that Wong displays in the "Exposition" part of his DVD. There is nothing on the DVD that would suggest a "care and feeding" of the coins. I really don't know how anyone purchasing these coins "off the shelf" and not having knowledge or access to forums like the Magic Café would even have a clue as to how to possibly repair this defective product.

I just went and ordered some mouse tape (as suggested in one of the Café threads) in an effort to fix this set and make them moderately usable... although I hear complaints that the mouse tape clouds the look of the chinese coin sides... maybe I'll just use them without going as far as the appearance and disappearance of the chinese coins. Although I'm still concerned that the strength of the magnet in the "tail" and center coin will still defeat a smooth separation even with the mouse tape. Maybe I won't use them at all. We'll see.

Anyone praising this set must have purchased an extremely reengineered version of the set. My suggestion to anyone thinking of purchasing this effect.... get it from an online dealer that gives refunds or credits or find a brick and mortar store where you can try out the set.

My bottom line... this product is a piece of junk.
Hmmm. Felt the same way. Added a few Teflon discs then it was "just right."
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 09:03, Atom3339 wrote:
Hmmm. Felt the same way. Added a few Teflon discs then it was "just right."
[/quote]

Ok... can you be a little more detailed? You added teflon disks where... on the chinese coin sides... and then dropped the second phase of the routine (the chinese coin phase) or do you have some sort of transparent teflon disks? Can you spell it out for me?

I can see how these coins can generally be a wonderful set... but out of the package, without modifications, they are dog-do-do.
I had a similar problem w/ Super Triple Coin. Invisible tape took care of it.
Ok... I want to make sure we are all talking about the same coin set. First off... I'm referencing a Double Face Super Triple Coin, not a Super Triple Coin. I don't know how you would put "invisible tape" on the Chinese coin side of a Double Face Super Triple Coin without causing the Chinese side to have a very odd look.

And the teflon disk suggestion still seems problematic since the teflon disk is not transparent... unless I'm missing something.

I'm still back to the same problem, and complaint about this coin set.

I would appreciate id "NicholasD" and "Atom3339" would go into a little more detail about the material they are using and the effect that it has on the look of the Chinese coin side of the set?
Would it be possible to remove the Chinese sticker, add teflon, and then re-stick the Chinese sticker to the teflon?

I think (!) I have heard that additional Chinese stickers can be had, so if removing a sticker ruins the sticker, an alternate can be used.

Still, a tremendous hassle just to be able to make an item work as advertised.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 11:41, Chessmann wrote:
Would it be possible to remove the Chinese sticker, add teflon, and then re-stick the Chinese sticker to the teflon?

I think (!) I have heard that additional Chinese stickers can be had, so if removing a sticker ruins the sticker, an alternate can be used.

Still, a tremendous hassle just to be able to make an item work as advertised.
[/quote]

Do you have one of these? That doesn't make sense. Then the teflon would be UNDER the sticker, and you would still be sliding sticker against sticker, and the strength of the magnet hold would only be decreased only a smidgen. The problem with this set is the magnets are TOO strong and you are sliding paper against paper. Who in heaven's name would think that was a viable product to release to the public?
I had exactly the same problem as you with my "spectacular" Eisenhouwer coin.
I put a little (and I mean a VERY little) coat of vaseline on the chinese stickers and now it works like a charm.

http://www.google.be/search?q=vaseline&hl=nl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FJNtUerfKeWw0AWdu4CQDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1477&bih=675
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 12:02, Al Desmond wrote:
Do you have one of these? That doesn't make sense.
[/quote]

No, I do not. I have only seen it discussed. Just trying to help a bit, but learning in the process is ok for me, too. Have had a couple of other Wong sets and have experienced similar issues, but not had a set with stickers.

[quote]
Then the teflon would be UNDER the sticker, and you would still be sliding sticker against sticker, and the strength of the magnet hold would only be decreased only a smidgen.
[/quote]

I see. I thought perhaps a slightly softer surface under the stickers might help (in addition to whatever difference there might have been in magnet stregnth, which I now see is negligible in this case).
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 14:13, Waterloophai wrote:
I had exactly the same problem as you with my "spectacular" Eisenhouwer coin.
I put a little (and I mean a VERY little) coat of vaseline on the chinese stickers and now it works like a charm.

http://www.google.be/search?q=vaseline&hl=nl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=FJNtUerfKeWw0AWdu4CQDg&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1477&bih=675
[/quote]

I appreciate your input... but I've seen all the solutions using "lubricants" and I'm really not happy with the idea of having anything gel like (carmex, vaseline etc) on my coins. Any sort of lubricant will eventually pick up dust and other microscopic detritus from your hands, the air and your working surface and will cause a wearing down effect on the stickers.

I've gone over every thread that mentions anything about this coin and I've come to the conclusion that no one has come up with a permanent solution that enables the coins to be usable at any moment, in a manner shown by Wong and his videos.

My lost is hopefully someone elses gain... I hope I've said enough on this thread that will be taken as a warning to anyone thinking of obtaining this coin gaff. It does not work in the manner shown in the numerous video ads and in the most, if you fix the problem with mouse tape or cover the stickers with teflon disks, you will have half the effect that you paid for.

Stay away from Johnny Wong's Double Face Super Triple screw-up (and if Mr. Wong wants to argue the point, he can certainly PM me if he sees these comments). And those who have said how they love the set are either deluding themselves or shilling for Wong. It's hard to admit you've spent a nice chunk of change on a piece of poop.

I admit that I did.
Initially when it was new, YES IT WAS HARD to break in...I added a dab...JUST A DAB of some chap stick to the center of the Chinese sticker...thats the black part of the sticker where the hole would be if it was a real chinese coin....I played around with the gaff...I rarely have to apply anything to the coin, and it works...it opens smoothly, it closes smoothly...the stickers just need to break in a bit...the gaff is a GREAT coin gaff...Its probably my most favorite one I use...Just break the stickers in a little bit...it will work...and if you cant make it work with a little bit of chapstick because your being so picky about putting a lubricant on it, then sell it...I am sure someone will buy your coin with no problem...
Like it or not, Carmex and Blistex seem to be the only feasible solution. I have a brand new set, not near a month old and I just apply a thin coat before using. Mouse tape will do absolutely nothing for you as it is not transparent. (Unless you found a source I haven't been able to). It has been discussed in several threads on this forum and the lip balm is the general consensus.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 16:40, Trooper11040 wrote:
Initially when it was new, YES IT WAS HARD to break in...I added a dab...JUST A DAB of some chap stick to the center of the Chinese sticker...thats the black part of the sticker where the hole would be if it was a real chinese coin....I played around with the gaff...I rarely have to apply anything to the coin, and it works...it opens smoothly, it closes smoothly...the stickers just need to break in a bit...the gaff is a GREAT coin gaff...Its probably my most favorite one I use...Just break the stickers in a little bit...it will work...and if you cant make it work with a little bit of chapstick because your being so picky about putting a lubricant on it, then sell it...I am sure someone will buy your coin with no problem...
[/quote]

It's a piece of poop and it's so typical of the mass produced crap offered to the magic profession since the internet opened up the possibilities of selling anything to a mass market. The only way to stop it is to hold these manufacturers and dealers feet to the fire and stop accepting this crap.

One shouldn't have to apply anything to the coins. The stickers could have been printed on teflon. The magnets could have been fine tuned like Tango does with his TUC's. There are numerous ways that this coin set could have been made to work the way it was advertised to work. No more than I like to buy software with bugs in it, I don't like props that have bugs in it and I have to find workarounds to make it usable.

Yes I could sell it... but not with a clean conscience... that's my whole point... which I guess was missed.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 16:48, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Like it or not, Carmex and Blistex seem to be the only feasible solution. I have a brand new set, not near a month old and I just apply a thin coat before using. Mouse tape will do absolutely nothing for you as it is not transparent. (Unless you found a source I haven't been able to). It has been discussed in several threads on this forum and the lip balm is the general consensus.
[/quote]

Here...

http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Optically-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B000REI90W

And if you look around... you'll find it wider. The example at the link above is 1" wide, which could be enough if placed across the center of the coin, but you can find wider widths on industrial supply sites. That tool me under a minute to find. Don't thank me.
You may want to Google "optically clear teflon tape"
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 15:58, Al Desmond wrote:
I appreciate your input... but I've seen all the solutions using "lubricants" and I'm really not happy with the idea of having anything gel like (carmex, vaseline etc) on my coins. Any sort of lubricant will eventually pick up dust and other microscopic detritus from your hands, the air and your working surface and will cause a wearing down effect on the stickers.

My lost is hopefully someone elses gain... I hope I've said enough on this thread that will be taken as a warning to anyone thinking of obtaining this coin gaff. It does not work in the manner shown in the numerous video ads and in the most, if you fix the problem with mouse tape or cover the stickers with teflon disks, you will have half the effect that you paid for.

It's hard to admit you've spent a nice chunk of change on a piece of poop.

I admit that I did.
[/quote]
One man's poop is another man's Kopi Luwak (http://voices.yahoo.com/why-spend-600-dollars-cat-poop-coffee-starbucks-877217.html).

I tend to agree with you about perishable magic. For that reason, I rarely use flippers because the effect of Florida heat and humidity on rubber bands makes them less than perfectly reliable. That said, if you purchase a Johnny Wong DSSTC knowing the carmex issue in advance - which a simple search on the trick coin trickery thread would tell you - you should have known what you were getting. Also, if you are using carmex, it stands to reason that the stickers will eventually wear. Luckily, Johnny Wong makes inexpensive replacement stickers.

I am satisfied with my Walker DSSTC, but I can see why you are not. However, I see no reason why you could not sell it with a clean conscience, so long as you disclose the issues you have posted.

Your points about possible improvements are well taken. It seems to me that Johnny Wong has a habit of producing ingenious ideas that others take and improve upon - often without attribution.

Alan
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 17:21, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 15:58, Al Desmond wrote:

It's hard to admit you've spent a nice chunk of change on a piece of poop.

I admit that I did.
[/quote]
One man's poop is another man's Kopi Luwak (http://voices.yahoo.com/why-spend-600-dollars-cat-poop-coffee-starbucks-877217.html).

I tend to agree with you about perishable magic. For that reason, I rarely use flippers because the effect of Florida heat and humidity on rubber bands makes them less than perfectly reliable. That said, if you purchase a Johnny Wong DSSTC knowing the carmex issue in advance - which a simple search on the trick coin trickery thread would tell you - you should have known what you were getting. Also, if you are using carmex, it stands to reason that the stickers will eventually wear. Luckily, Johnny Wong makes inexpensive replacement stickers.

I am satisfied with my Walker DSSTC, but I can see why you are not. I see no reason why you could not sell it with a clean conscience, so long as you disclose the issues you have posted.

Your points about possible improvements are well taken. It seems to me that Johnny Wong has a habit of producing ingenious ideas that others take and improve - often without attribution.

Alan
[/quote]

To be honest with you... I was a bit confused with the various terminologies used in describing the various Johnny Wong coin sets. I wasn't absolutely sure (until I purchased the used set) exactly which variations on the themes had the problems. I attempted to ingest the numerous threads on the Café and still turned away confused. I'm not confused anymore.

And now you say "others take and improve." Who are these "others" and what name(s) do they give to their improved product(s)? I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 17:07, Al Desmond wrote:
It's a piece of poop and it's so typical of the mass produced crap offered to the magic profession since the internet opened up the possibilities of selling anything to a mass market. [/quote]

I am once again in agreement with your general point about mass produced magic crap and the effect of the internet, but I think perhaps you are wrongly lumping Johnny Wong in with unscrupulous internet sellers. I tend to think of Johnny as in the same category with Eddie Gibson - extremely inventive, but his products (at least those that I have) are not the best quality IMHO - although still very serviceable. Nevertheless, Eddie Gibson's considerable contribution to coin gaffing can not be dismissed. Johnny's contributions have been perhaps less, but give him time.

Regards,

Alan
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 17:41, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 17:07, Al Desmond wrote:
It's a piece of poop and it's so typical of the mass produced crap offered to the magic profession since the internet opened up the possibilities of selling anything to a mass market. [/quote]

I am once again in agreement with your general point about mass produced magic crap and the effect of the internet, but I think perhaps you are wrongly lumping Johnny Wong in with unscrupulous internet sellers. I tend to think of Johnny as in the same category with Eddie Gibson - extremely inventive, but his products (at least those that I have) are not the best quality IMHO - although still very serviceable. Nevertheless, Eddie Gibson's considerable contribution to coin gaffing can not be dismissed. Johnny's contributions have been perhaps less, but give him time.

Regards,

Alan
[/quote]

I'm not talking about his contribution to gaff ideas... I "dismissed" nothing about his inventiveness. If you read my comment above I even said " I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props." I'm talking about a prop... a product... not his ideas.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 17:31, Al Desmond wrote:
And now you say "others take and improve." Who are these "others" and what name(s) do they give to their improved product(s)? [/quote]

Johnny Wong invented the "Split coin" which Kennedy "improved" and released as the "Supercoin". Also, the "Clone Coin" using the same principle was released by Merlins of Wakefield.
Poop is poop, no matter how ingenious the process (digestion) behind it.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 17:45, Al Desmond wrote:
I "dismissed" nothing about his inventiveness. If you read my comment above I even said " I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props." I'm talking about a prop... a product... not his ideas.
[/quote]
I never wrote that you dismissed anything. In fact, I agree with you to an extent. I would say that most of my Johnny Wong gaffs are merely serviceable, not outstandingly made. I just choose to support the guy, knowing that perhaps the next great thing is going to come from his very inventive "little grey cells".
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:03, Ray Haining wrote:
Poop is poop, no matter how ingenious the process (digestion) behind it.
[/quote]
?
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:04, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[quote]
I "dismissed" nothing about his inventiveness. If you read my comment above I even said " I love the idea behind these coins, I don't love the execution of the props." I'm talking about a prop... a product... not his ideas.
[/quote]
I never wrote that you dismissed anything. In fact, I agree with you to an extent. I would say that most of my Johnny Wong gaffs are merely serviceable, not outstandingly made. I just choose to support the guy, knowing that perhaps the next great thing is going to come from his very inventive "little grey cells".
[/quote]

Well... I guess I have added to the canon of "how to possibly fix Johnny Wong's Double Face Super Triple Coin and make the prop usable." I've order the optically clear teflon tape I found above. If that doesn't work, I may go with the mouse tape on the sticker side and forgo using the Chinese coin side in a routine or I can simply put these away and go on.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:10, Al Desmond wrote:
I guess I have added to the canon of "how to possibly fix Johnny Wong's Double Face Super Triple Coin and make the prop usable." I've order the optically clear teflon tape I found above. [/quote]

Admirable. I look forward to reading about the results of your efforts.

Cheers,

Alan
Al,

I also thank you for adding so many references to "poop" in this thread. You can never have too many "poop" references.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:18, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Al,

I also thank you for adding so many references to "poop" in this thread. You can never have too many "poop" references.
[/quote]

It works for South Park... and they're famous.
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:19, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:18, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Al,

[/quote]

It works for South Park... and they're famous.
[/quote]

Quite true!
I've never purchased any of Johnny Wong's gaffed coin sets, so I have no first-hand experience with his products. But I would like to know what is meant when it is said that they are "serviceable"--meaning they don't work quite right and have to be tinkered with?

Another point is that the person who sold this set had to know there were problems. You can say the person who originally bought it didn't know there were problems with it, and so they are under no obligation to inform the next buyer, but to my mind, that is dishonest. Because he no doubt did know.
Al, you had a great idea about printing the stickers on teflon disks. Hopefully Johnny sees this thread and does just that. I have read these threads and wondered if that would be a good solution - not owning a set myself, I didn't know. I do have split coin and cartel coins. No problems with them. I've heard supercoin magnet is very strong but haven't seen complaints about using it. Apparently it is the paper that makes it an issue with double face and super triple face.

I agree that the product should come usable, not require "fixing".
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 23:25, Ray Haining wrote:
I've never purchased any of Johnny Wong's gaffed coin sets, so I have no first-hand experience with his products. But I would like to know what is meant when it is said that they are "serviceable"--meaning they don't work quite right and have to be tinkered with?
[/quote]
My definition of serviceable is that the gaff generally serves its purpose. I would rate the machining of the gaff sets I have from Johnny Wong as quite good (good fit, excellent coverage, etc), but there are other known irritating qualities on many of my Johnny Wong sets that make me reluctant to rate his work as excellent. One example of which has been discussed on this thread. On his signature Split coins, the Teflon? material he uses is of lower quality than is found on other gaffs I own and sometimes cause some sticking (but then, that is something easily rectified). I have no such problems with my split coins from Roy Kueppers. Perhaps this has something to do with availability of certain materials where Johnny makes his gaffs.
Hi all,

I was looking at this feed after I'd ordered my DFSTC and it has just arrived.

I wanted to say it works fine right out of the package. No sliding issues, no weird pressure needed, and my hands are relatively dry (someone mentioned that may be part of the issue above).

It's possible he's improved it since the original release, or maybe some of them just come out better than others??
[quote]
On 2013-08-01 11:09, PhilMagicGuy wrote:
Hi all,

I was looking at this feed after I'd ordered my DFSTC and it has just arrived.

I wanted to say it works fine right out of the package. No sliding issues, no weird pressure needed, and my hands are relatively dry (someone mentioned that may be part of the issue above).

It's possible he's improved it since the original release, or maybe some of them just come out better than others??
[/quote]

FYI

Here was my solution to my problem. And a lot of Café member went ahead and purchased this teflon tape to make their coin slide smoother.

[quote]
Is this thread for sticker talk only... or general new tips and tricks about DFSTC... because I would like to add the link to the optically clear teflon tape...

http://www.amazon.com/CS-Hyde-Optically-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B000REI90W

... which can fix a whole lot of the problems with "sticky" stickers (if you're stickers are sticky).
[/quote]

It works like a charm
Thanks you Al Desmond for finding a solution for the DFSTC, and like you said... it works as a charm.
I’d like to buy this type too, but is it fit on dollar size DFSTC?
Yes it will.
Has anyone tried Teflon spray?

http://www.amazon.com/blue-WORKS-110248-Industrial-Formula/dp/B004F7MV3I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1
It's looks like a great substitute of CS Hyde Optically Tape , I will like to take a try.
Good idea Dough - I was thinking graphite lube (dry powder) might work too. Fact is those coins are garbage.
I beg the differ sir...
The Teflon tape lasts a super long time and protects the stickers. It's clean and odor free. You cannot tell which coin it has been applied to. The amount you get will outlive the coins.
I wouldn't mess around with any powders or greasy stuff.
They may work fine but will likely have other disadvantages, such as messiness, frequent applications, affect the printing on the stickers, etc.
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 21:28, bowers wrote:
I beg the differ sir...
[/quote]

I do as well!
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 22:21, videoman wrote:
The Teflon tape lasts a super long time and protects the stickers. It's clean and odor free. You cannot tell which coin it has been applied to. The amount you get will outlive the coins.
I wouldn't mess around with any powders or greasy stuff.
They may work fine but will likely have other disadvantages, such as messiness, frequent applications, affect the printing on the stickers, etc.
[/quote]

I tape all three!
I don't tape all of them because I find it advantageous to have a stronger pull for one pair than another in my routine.
But it's up to the user of course. Whatever does the trick so to speak.
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 19:54, videoman wrote:
I don't tape all of them because I find it advantageous to have a stronger pull for one pair than another in my routine.
But it's up to the user of course. Whatever does the trick so to speak.
[/quote]

To each his own, for sure!
I've been playing around with my DFSTC a lot lately, and have put it into a few shows. This is a silent version of the routine I've been performing. Thought I'd share, and would of course be happy to hear some feedback.

http://magicintoronto.com/artcl/magician_videos.html

At the moment it's the first video in a video gallery section of my website. Hopefully I'll be adding more to this page later, so in case it's not right on top when you click the link, it's titled: "Coins From Nowhere, Once and Again
"
Nice routine short and smooth. You did a great job.
No extra funny looking moves.This is the way a coin routine should be performed.
Keep up the good work. Joe
I am seriously considering getting the Morgan version of this from Joe Mogar. Does anyone have it? Can you comment on the quality? How does this differ from Johnny Wong's Spectacular coin?
I had the joe mogar version of this coin set and it is superb.
Thank you jconstantine. I have been in contact with Joe and I am going to buy this from him as soon as I get the funds together for it. I can see it in my walk around set now.
I have Joes super triple set in morgens.
And the quality is excellent.
Todd
I just (two weeks ago) got a Double Sided Super Triple Coin set in Morgan dollars from Joe. It is excellent and works perfectly right out of the package.
Joes dfstc slide's so well I didn't even need
to apply any Teflon tape.
That's good. I wonder what he's doing differently than Johnny Wong, whose coins are extremely difficult to slide apart.

Jim
Its either the magnet strength or placement of them Jim.
But they do slide apart very nicely and still hold togeather well too.
Todd
I was very curious about this. Saw it demoed recently at a convention. Looked horrible, nothing like real halves or Chinese coins. Glad I waited.
Pepka, I'm surprised a I owned the original in halves, moved to Morgans and now the Double sided and they are excellent.
Me too.all of my wong versions were of great quality.
If you work very close-up and work slowly with the coins, then they probably will be noticed as not being real. But working say, a 3-Fly routine at maybe four feet away, they look just ifne IMO.

Jim
I've purchased STCs from Joe Mogar and Roy Kueppers. To start off, both gaffers have excellent customer service. The quality of the coins themselves are pretty much the same, however, In terms of dollar sized STCs (the ones I got) I am leaning slightly more towards Roy's work. This is mainly because his coins are slightly more thinner when stacked together (not as thin as Johnny Wong's), but also because when his coins slide together, there isn't the little 'sweet spot' where the coins are slightly not aligned due to the magnetics. Also, in terms of the dollar sized STCs, Roy's costs $35 less. But on the other hand, for half dollar ones, Joe's costs $10 less (silver dollars and silver half dollars).

In the end, which gaffer you choose is really up to you. I have many items from Roy, and they are all excellent. I only have Joe's STC, but that is great as well!
I have the Wong JFK half dollar double face set. It IS hard to slide apart. I put on a bit of chapstick and a bit of talc and it makes it very smooth. For a while anyway. Repeated applications to the paper stickers have had no ill effect. The edges of the stickers did quickly fray, so I trimmed them off and applied a touch of gold leaf from a pen. The Wongs are not so well made but the effects you can do are great. I recently got the dollar size from Roy Keupers. Not paper decals on the back so it is not the double-faced version (though you can get the stickers from Zazzle for cheap if you want). It is very smooth because it is teflon sliding on teflon. I think the problem with the Wong set is that it is paper against paper. I like them both and can do some nice routines. I had Keuppers make me a magnetic Chinese coin and use that as a single transformation of the the whole dollar. I have Morgars magnetic pocket holdouts in both rear pants pockets and boy can you do some great stuff with the Super Coins, a single magnetic and these pocket magnets. You only need to drop your arm naturally to your side for an instant to ditch or retrieve a coin so the variations are truly endless. Love 'em.
There are quite a few threads on this. try the clear plastic sheets used to apply on smart phones. They are inexpensive, thicker than mouse tape, and and very slippery. they have never let me down on STC. I don't have the DFSTC so if someone tries it on the Chinese coin side, let me know who it goes. and yes, the lesser the frictional surface, the easier the slide. :o)
The screen protecter works superb! plus one for the tip!!
Has anyone used these? http://www.zazzle.com/chinese+coin+stickers
Not sure which ones your talking about.
But I have used some of their stickers
on my stc set.They work and look good also.
Todd
The top two selections mentioned stc. So I figured they were used by magicians before.
Since mine came with Chinese stickers.
I switch to a English penny and some other
foreign coin sticker.And left one as the Chinese
sticker it came with.So all three coins would be different.
Todd
[quote]On Apr 16, 2013, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-16 18:04, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Well... I guess I have added to the canon of "how to possibly fix Johnny Wong's Double Face Super Triple Coin and make the prop usable." I've order the optically clear teflon tape I found above. If that doesn't work, I may go with the mouse tape on the sticker side and forgo using the Chinese coin side in a routine or I can simply put these away and go on. [/quote]
...my STC was difficult also BUT the transparent teflon tape worked very well.
I recently got one of these from Johnny Wong in Eisenhower and am awaiting the shipment of a Morgan Silver Dollar Version. I have found a few things that I would like to share. First, tail and head side can be difficult to separate. If your fingers contact both coins in the center and put any pressure that is not 'side to side' they will stick together even tighter. Some have suggested lubricant or tape. I suggest practice. Use a light touch. Let the skin of your finger and thumb contact the coin and 'stick' to the face and tail. Try to do so without pressing the two halves together. Also try to press a little off center. I have found that with minimal practice, maybe a couple of hours, I can easily perform the Ponta the Smith DFSTC routine. I use no lubricant or any teflon tape. The coins is exactly how it was shipped to me.

I would be happy to discuss the technique with anyone who wants to work on it.
[quote]On Jul 13, 2015, Magician Shaun wrote:
Some have suggested lubricant or tape. I suggest practice. Use a light touch. Let the skin of your finger and thumb contact the coin and 'stick' to the face and tail. Try to do so without pressing the two halves together. Also try to press a little off center. I have found that with minimal practice, maybe a couple of hours, I can easily perform the Ponta the Smith DFSTC routine. I use no lubricant or any teflon tape. The coins is exactly how it was shipped to me.
[/quote]

I agree that in some cases practice alone may suffice and you should spend an adequate amount of time working with the coins to determine if that is indeed the case.
But keep in mind that there could be other factors in play as well.

It's possible that some coins manufactured are simply more difficult to separate for various reasons.
Also, a big factor is the dryness of your fingers which can vary greatly from person to person.

I have very dry hands and I worked with the coin I received a LOT and I assure you that no amount of practice or technique was going to allow me to separate the coins smoothly and easily, and I do feel they had been "broken in" by any reasonable standard.
The Teflon tape made a HUGE difference and made using the coins possible.

Plus, you are already using a gimmick so other than the additional expense what does it matter if one wishes to use Teflon tape?
It's not like you are substituting a gimmick for something that can be done with sleight of hand alone, you are merely enhancing an existing gaff.
You cannot see or feel the tape and it adds no significant weight or thickness, plus it lasts virtually forever. There is an added benefit that it does protect the stickers and allows them to last longer, although granted that they should last a long time regardless.

Not to mention also that although I bought the Teflon tape originally for use with the DFSTC, I have since found several other very helpful uses for it in addition to applying it to other gaffs.

But again, I do agree that you should work with it enough prior to using the tape if you wish to save the extra cost.
I honestly think that any type of clear substance that you can put over the sticker to increase the distance between the 2 magnets would fix most of the issues that people have. The equation for the forces that 2 magnets exert shows that a very small distance has a very large effect on the strength. As such, putting 2 stickers on each "chinese" face could very well put enough distance between the 2 magnets with no need for the mouse tape. And I agree that there is no reason not to use anything that makes it easier for you to perform the effects and make them more surefire.

Depending on the manufacturing tolerances at Johnny Wong's manufacturer, it is possible for there to be a wildly varying amount of force needed to separate the two coins based solely on the distance between the 2 magnets.

Could someone with a "strong" DFSTC set try putting an extra sticker on each sticker face of the coin and see if that helps any. I would be very interested to know if it works in the real world.
It's not a question of increasing the distance to negate the force, it's that the stickers develop minute abrasions (scratches) that then act like sandpaper to inhibit the movement of the gimmicks. So, even if you double up on them you will still have the same problem. You either need to replace the stickers regularly, apply clear Teflon tape (although I'm at a loss to find it in 1.5 in.) or apply some of the remedies such as Carmex, spray starch or any other Voodoo potion you can find that works.

And that's more than I wanted to say on this subject!

Cheers! ;)
[quote]On Jul 16, 2015, Stanyon wrote:
apply clear Teflon tape (although I'm at a loss to find it in 1.5 in.)
Cheers! ;) [/quote]

Stanyon,
I got it here:

http://catalog.cshyde.com/item/all-categories-tapes-with-adhesive-ptfe-tapes/fep-optically-clear-ptfe-tape/fep-tape-23-fep-1-5-5?

$35 plus shipping for 5 yds, which should last you a very long time.
I'm still on my first roll and I've used it for all kinds of things, some not even magic related.

Best,
Bill
Hi,

I do not know what happens to your Wong set, but after a while the magnet lost its strength, so now the coins hardly stay together, and worst.. they do not want to align anymore.
Is there a way to re-magnetize them ?
Hello, Pierre~

I have been able to re-magnetize magnets in the past by putting a weakened magnet against a much larger, stronger magnet and leaving it like that for a few hours or overnight. If you try this, you might want to try leaving them together for only a few seconds, then a minute..., etc... to (hopefully!) prevent the coin's magnet from gaining too much strength, but I have to say, that was not a problem at all when I re-magnetized some magnets.

Be sure to put some kind of material between the coin and larger magnet that can help you pull the coin off the magnet, or you may not be able to get the coin off very easily!

Good luck!
Im not sure if its the same with them all, but I had this problem and could not figure it out... UNTIL I noticed that there was a flaw on the FRONT coin that I got... This flaw was now on the coin in the middle, not the front coin. Sure enough I swapped the two coins and it works perfectly.

I'm not sure if anyone can confirm, but on my set I believe the magnetics are slightly different with all three coins, and they should go in the optimal order for them all to separate clean. If you reverse the two coins that look EXACTLY the same, you start getting the sticking issue.

I reversed them back to the way they came, and never have an issue with sticking. I had the EXACT same issue of them being inseparable and then damaging the edge of the sticker to get them apart, but only when they were out of order which is NOT obvious at all since two look exactly the same.

To be clear... Basically the order when received was

Coin 1
Coin 2
Coin 3

Two of these coins (1 and 2) look exactly the same. If you end up with the order incorrect like

Coin 2
Coin 1
Coin 3

It is impossible to "see" this unless you have imperfections on one of them. But this incorrect order will result in Coin 1 and Coin 3 sticking together to the point they cant be separated easy.

There is definitely a very noticeable difference in the way they work together even though they look the same. I am using the Eisenhower Dollar set. When following the routine, the order never gets into this "bad" order, so I think its a matter of working around this, and appreciating it for what it is. The fact they are different allows you to do some moves like Ponta The Smith does here at :28 seconds. You may not be able to do that smooth change without one magnet being slightly stronger etc. to help insure the change occurs with a simple slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdUu_Jx0-V8
Just to jump in on the topic of smoothness and the separation of these coins.: I have the triple split coin using old Morgans, a set made by Roy Keupers. A wonderful set. I added 3 poker chip stickers I got at Dazzle (made for these coins)on the bak to extend the possibilities of the routine. Also good so that if I happen to drop one, it might land poker-chip side up and I can recover by saying it seems to have changed and go from there. If it was teflon, it just looks like a gaffed coin. I then added a small square of Scotch magic tape to the center of the Dazzle stickers. The coins slide as effortlessly as they did when they were just teflon. They have been that way a year with no problems. They never stick or get hung up, and the tape is not visible( especially of the coins are moving just a bit). I had terrible problems with my Wong JFK set sticking. I tried a mix of talcum powder and chap stick on them. Made them smooth and slide without getting bound, but eventually wore off. Tried a tiny bit of tape (at Paul Richard's suggestion) and they are now smooth and I have no problems with them separating. I prefer the Morgans for their size and shine. I ditch the final coin either in my shirt or coat breast pocket or at the back of my pants using a Joe Morger magnetic holdout. I can use the holdout, as well, to have a magnetic but otherwise regular Morgan to ring in/out or a Chinese magnetic coin to ring in/out. Combine all these options, the routines are truly endless with this set. In other coin work, I am now trying to master the non-gaffed "Winged Silver"version of Ponta the Smith. A challenge, but I am getting there.