(Close Window)
Topic: Dennis Loomis
I just heard that Dennis Loomis passed away.

Somebody please verify this or not.
OK, I just saw this also mentioned in the SAM section above. Sad to hear this.
What I just pmed him last month on his rope magic I can't believe this...
Must have been sudden...he was posting just a few days ago! Sad to hear.
I've just received an e-mail about this, too. Sad. He loved Magic and Magicians.

Bless you Denny.

Julie
I tried calling him a few days ago and got his voice mail / Dennis was a terrific rope magician .
his dvd on ropes is the very best
RIP my friend
vinny
Does anyone have a link that would verify this?

I don't want to believe it till I hear an official report or get first hand info.

-Mary Mowder
Mary I remember you were on his dvd
He was a special man. RIP!!!!!
Yes it is true - a great guy ...magic loses another :(
Condolences to the family. I only knew him through his posts here and his blog. He was very generous with his ideas.
May Mr. Loomis 'Rest In Peace.' Prayers and condolences to the Loomis family.

Sixten & family
Dennis and I met in the spring of 1960. I helped him get started in the business.

We were friends for 53 years. I am without words.........
Likewise, [b]I am stunned.[/b] Dennis was a long time friend, a real knowledgeable guy and a wonderful person. R.I.P. :(
Rest in peace Dennis. My condolences to his family. You will be missed.
A very Sad day at Murphy's Magic.. :(

Dennis was our dear friend......
I sold my first illusion I ever built to him back in 1976. He was a cool guy with a lot of imagination and vision. RIP! My best to his family and close friends!!!
Tom and I are so sorry to hear of his passing.

Dennis was a wonderful magician, a great showman and a dear friend.

In addition to performing, Dennis was a guy who was interested in theory, handling, history and creating Magic. He used to come over to our house for lunch on days when he was in Sacramento, often to pick up or drop off Magic at Murphy's. It was rare that he'd leave before midnight and we'd be talking all the way out to the car.

I know Dennis really enjoyed writing his articles for MUM and enjoyed connecting with Magicians from all over.

Dennis was also a devoted Son to his Mom.

We'll miss him.

-Mary Mowder and Tom Allen
He had posted here just a few days ago. An amazing performer and person!

Rest In Piece, Denny!
I learned a lot from him. Very sad to hear.
Dennis was full of knowledge and always had a story to tell. He always called me, 'my friend". It was interesting reading about him in Spellbound book on Doug Henning. We had many sessions together with friends here in the Bay Area and worked several gigs too. After one gig, he told me to get rid of my Kevin James bowling ball. He said that no one did it like Don Alan - and Don had a reason for producing it. He went into great detail about Don's routine. Needless to say, I did not get rid of my Kevin James bowling ball. And every time I do it, I think of Dennis and our conversation.
I really enjoyed meeting Dennis in the 70ties in Ann Arbor, wonderfully nice to me as a college kid who obviously had no where near the knowledge he had. Just so very pleasant, I will always remember that. I really enjoyed his writing about Colon in the M-U-M, I remember his Abbott's Get-Together performances well. So very sad to hear.
So hard to believe...RIP Dennis.
I just saw this...so sad to hear this. Dennis and I communicated a few times about some things a few years ago. I hate when the good people pass.

Steve
If anyone feels they might want to write an obituary for Dennis, Richard Kaufman is asking for a volunteer for a 250 word one at the Genii Forum and a photograph. It would seem nice for a personal friend to do so.

Don
:( he was such a nice man
Dennis was a great guy who had experience in performing pretty much any kind of magic, be it close-up, stage, Illusions and even escapes for that matter.

Many people are not aware that as a young man he traveled all over the United States performing a full size illusion show.

A great guy who will certainly be missed by many.

R.I.P. Dennis.
Very sad, and shocked, to hear of Dennis's passing. May he rest in peace.

Bob Cassidy
Mike Maturen helpfully posted that Rick Fisher of FAB Magic in Colon has made available a video of Dennis performing at Michigan Magic Day. See:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ho91jSDAHjY?rel=0
He was a great guy, always willing to share his knowledge. Sad to hear of this tragic news.
Tragic news! Dennis was such a great guy and magician. Sure going to miss him.
So sad..I liked reading his posts...
I was talking to him just a few weeks ago about rope magic. Dennis was a class act who taught me to do the snap knot. I will never forget him RIP Dennis.
When Dennis decided to stop writing his articles for M.U.M. I was very disappointed, but I knew he deserved a break. Still, I missed reading them. I hope someone can still do the compilation project as a book someday.

It's still hard to believe he's gone. Has the cause of death been determined yet?

R.I.P. my friend.

:(
I really enjoyed his articles in MUM. At least many of us SAM members were lucky enough to read these.

Gerry
So sad to hear of Dennis' passing.
He took the time to mentor many of
us not only here, but in life.

He will be severely missed by those
who were lucky enough to break bread
with him.

@Magic Bus
Many thanks for posting the video

R.I.P. Brother Loomis, please say,
"Hi" to Doug Henning for us.
Man...just read in MAGIC (June issue) that Dennis took his own life. It doesn't say anything more about that...but that's a shock for sure. He will be missed.
You meet friends when you least expect it. I had purchased Dennisí Cups and Balls Routine, but never dreamed I would meet him. After my book was published, I received a phone from Dennis and he wanted to make a DVD of the book. How could I refuse? I flew out to California and Dennis, Joe Oliverio and I spent three days making a DVD. Although the DVD was only moderately successful, a friendship was born. Dennis and I corresponded via e-mail and telephone calls, but I never made it back out to California to visit.

Dennis was generous to a fault. He gave freely of his time, magic effects, and advice. He recommended a magic product I make to a magic dealer. I still receive orders for these items. I also purchased several tricks from him and when I had trouble understanding how to perform them, he graciously tutored me over the phone. He sent me silks, props, and videos to boost my career.

Dennis and I shared a passion for the Aronson Stack and memorized deck effects. He let me make a contribution to the Memorized Deck section on his web site. He said he didnít do a lot of sleight-of-hand magic, but he was far better than I. I learned the Kelly Card Control from him. His Micro-Chop cup routine was and is an outstanding effect.

Dennis was professional magician, a musician, juggler, carpenter, cabinet maker and more. He also had a kind and gentle soul. I never heard Dennis say a derogatory word about anyone, even at a personal cost. As one magician said of Dennis, his mistress was magic and his love for that mistress was unfailing.

Magic has lost a good man. I will miss him.