(Close Window)
Topic: Update regarding the Cups and Balls Museum
Here is the latest news on the cups and balls museum.

It looks like I'll be keeping the cups, balls and wands for a while. Those of you who know me and know my story know why I shut down the museum for a while, and why I haven't been adding anything to it for the past year and a half or so.

To sum things up, 2011 was a very bad year for me. I lost my brother in January and my wife of 43 years in August. I became a man without a purpose. I lost all interest in magic and decided to return to my musical roots. This helped a bit, but it wasn't enough.

Many of you sent me e-mails and even letters of encouragement, for which I thank you.

I won't go into the sordid details of some of the stupid things I did to provide myself with a fleeting kind of happiness.

In October of 2012, one of my schnauzers, Watson, became very ill with a mysterious illness that caused him to lose his equilibrium and eventually cost him his hearing. A friend of mine who is a veterinarian helped me find a clinic that could run some very expensive tests on Watson without breaking the bank. She also provided me with a listening, always available ear. I started dating my friend, and in January we decided to get married. Unfortunately, Watson lost his battle and had to be put down. But I still have his brother, Holmes, and my new bride, Julia.

So happiness has returned to me. Julia was a guitar student of mine about 40 years ago. She is smart, witty, intelligent, sweet and possesses a special beauty that I appreciate greatly. She loves music and magic.

As a result of our need to combine two households, we are packing things up so we can move them when we find the right house. It takes a long time to pack 2000+ sets of cups, but we are doing it slowly and steadily.

The museum will stay on line, and I will be issuing more usernames and passwords.

I'll let you know more as it happens.

Bill
I will be disposing of some of my other magical apparatus.
Mr. Palmer, thanks for sharing your personal story. You never know who's reading and can be helped!
I'm glad to hear that things have turned around for you Bill.

May your days be happy and many.
I had no idea, Bill. You really are a great and generous guy and deserve only the best. I'm so happy to hear about this amazing upswing of events.
I am so pleased that you have found happiness once more Bill.

Sorry to hear about Watson. I think that he had a wonderful life with you though.

Take care my friend,
Tom
Onward!
I am terribly happy for your improved outlook and good fortune. Blessings!
Great news Bill, wishing you continued happiness.
We've been missing you here, Bill! Thanks for the update. God bless!
Happiness and Health to you. I disposed of most of my books and props and their memories are still with me.
It's nice to see you back here again Bill. I think I speak for everyone when I say that you and Julia deserve all the happiness in the world.

Bri
That's great news, Bill. It's amazing, isn't it, how when one door closes another one opens; how grief over the loss of a loved one can eventually morph into joy over the kindling of love with someone new. You're a great guy, Bill. You deserve your happiness!
All the best,

Sean
Wonderful news on almost all accounts. Thank you, Mr. Palmer!
Bill
Glad you're still with us
Thank you for sharing this Bill.
Life can really throw some curve balls at us. I'm currently experiencing a less than stellar year and am encouraged to hear how things are improving for you. It gives me hope as well!
Wishing you continued happiness.
Mike
I thank all of you, and to those of you who are having a rough time, persevere. You CAN get through it!

There are people on this forum who have had a much more difficult time than I have.

Bill
Thank you for opening up to us like that Bill. It certainly could not have been easy to have gone through all of that, but it's great to hear that your life is back on its magical path.
God bless you! So happy you are back again. :)
Bill glad to hear things are going better. I totally understand about the move as my wife and I are packing up 28 years of junk to move into a new house (Bob Karlebach's old place next door to Dal). Hope to see you at TAOM in Dallas this summer.
Wishing you continued happiness Bill
So glad to hear it. I would an opportunity to see it in person one day! Congratulations Bill on your renewed LIFE!
So very glad to hear this!
So very happy for you, Bill! Finding our way through darkness isn't always easy. Please know that, like so many others, I am sending many positive thoughts and well wishes to you and Julia as you continue life's path together.
Bill,

I had heard some of what was going on with you, but didn't know its depth, and certainly not the level of pain it brought to you. I am as glad as anyone that you will continue your monumental work with the Cups and Balls Museum. It should serve as a priceless resource for students of magic, for as long as possible. More so, I am glad that happiness has returned to your life. I have seen your Facebook posts and know that you're in a honeymoon phase that looks like it will go on for a long, long time! Most of us should be so fortunate!

Best regards to you, sir!

~michael
I for one am glad to see that "gray marriage" is going strong!

Ba-dum-ching!
So glad happiness has found it's way back into your life. You deserve it buddy. Wishing you and your new bride many years of love and happiness.
Hey Bill,

So glad to hear from you, and know that you've found happiness. Having experienced some extreme highs and lows myself, I can concur that perseverance is the key. The "waves" of life are ever-changing. And although problems can sometimes seem to be insurmountable, the good and the bad do eventually tend to balance out.

Good luck with your move ... and best wishes for the future!

Arthur Stead
http://www.arthurstead.com
All the best !!!!!!!
Bill
It feels good to hear the confirmation that you have found a magic that enlightens your generous and unique heart.
Be well and allow yourself to get joy wherever you can meet it most often. We miss you but we prefer knowing you happy than as available for us as you used to.
Grateful for ever
Etienne
Bill,

Thanks for the update.
Wishing you and yours all the best.

Take care,
Bill
Trying to move to new quarters -- BIG pain in the wazoo!

First, I have to pack up 2000 sets of cups. I'm about 1/4 of the way through with that.

Second, I have to store the cups. That happens incrementally.

Third, I have to sell my house and find new digs.

'Tain't easy.
Best luck, Bill. I hate moving. How many banjos?
Banjos are nothing. I'm scared to think how many accordians Bill has to move. Those things are heavy.
Banjos and accordions are already moved. They have cases. Some have wheels.
Bill,
If you need it, I have some large free storage space that you could use if needed. Now this is not space for exhibition. Just storage for whatever time you may need it. So if it helps, be my guest.
Well, folks, I just packed and stored the last of the loose sets of cups and balls. I also packed and stored most of the boxed sets. I still have about a dozen or so boxed sets to pack. I found a lot of missing pieces, as well. So far, the count is 125 boxes of cups!
Hi Bill--I think you still have my address if you should happen to need to (permanently) store ant of those sets.
B^)
Best of luck on the big move!
Thanks! Now all I need is a house!
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Aug 3, 2013 12:42AM)
Make one out of cups and accordions!
Good idea!
Bill,

Can only say that I continue to keep you in my thoughts. Hoping all is well with the move, and that you, Julie, and Holmes are happy and healthy.

Best wishes always,

Doug
Doug:

We are doing fine. Holmes is almost 16 years old, which is rather old for a schnauzer, but he still gets around. The doctors say my health is decent, and Julie is doing fine. The main thing is packing up all my stuff, so we can sell my house. I still need to pack my antique magic and my books. Once that is done, almost everything else in the house, other than the harpsichord and my sound system will be ready to dispose of.
Just when you think you know a person... they turn out to play the harpsichord....

-Lee
Yep. A closet harpsichord player.

Actually, it's my Dad's harpsichord. It used to really p*ss him off when I would come over to his house and play Last Date on it!
Well Bill, at least it's not an autoharp.
At this point I think it's safe to wager there is probably a Dulcimer or two at Bill's place as well.

-Lee
Sometime after my first wife passed away, I photographed about four dozen sets of cups. These have been added to the database. I will add them to the actual the web site shortly.
I underestimated the number of cups I had photographed. As of last night at midnight, I had completed adding 61 sets of cups to the museum site and database.
What a great archive. I've only just begun looking through and I am so impressed. I love the used look of some of the Victorian era cups.
Just when you thought it was all over, another update.

I'm putting this in here, because when you search for the cups and balls museum on Google, this particular thread comes up. Hopefully, some of the people who think I'm gone will read the last post in the thread.

Those of you who know me well, know that I have been through some interesting times (as the Chinese saying goes!). In 2017, I was informed that I needed to undergo some rather serious surgical procedures. I survived them without much difficulty, and I am now in much better shape than I deserve to be in! However, just as I was undergoing the first and most difficult of them, the museum site was forced offline by a series of strange events. It took me a year and a half to get the basic site on line, but I didn't have the database running.

I put out a call for software experts who could help me unscramble the database. A fellow named Tom Stamm from California volunteered to help me, and in just a couple of weeks, he had recovered most of the database. So I am in the process of adding more cups to the database.

The last set of cups that have been added to the museum are a set of Tommy Wonder "Stage Cups" that were made by the late Auke van Dokkum. They are not in the database yet, but they will be soon.

I'll probably keep about a hundred sets of cups. The rest will go on the block or will be sold to private collectors.

Meanwhile, I thank all of you, my Magic Café and Cups and Balls Museum friends, who have made this whole project worthwhile and, actually, possible.
Message: Posted by: Al Kazam the Magic Man (Aug 21, 2019 09:35AM)
Great work Bill. I need to get a new password and enjoy the site again. Problem is, the last time I did that, I ended up with a dose of collecting and bought several sets. Now that I've got two sets of Sherwoods, I can't see a good reason to buy anymore.
You can always just look! ;)

(Like THAT'S gonna happen!)