(Close Window)
Topic: Bobo Coin Magic
I have never practiced coin magic before. I only play with cards. Recently I bought a book call Bobo Coin Magic after the good reviews from here.

But seriously, just by reading from the book alone without visual aids, do you think it is possible to grasp the whole concept, and learn all the sleights of coin magic?
I guess that's what everyone else has done before the advent of videos and dvds!

Howard
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Nov 29, 2003 08:16AM)
Yes it is possible. I did it. It's the ultimate treatise on coin magic. You can't do any better in term of books. You may want to check out Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic for a visual source.
The other day I watched my first video after three years of performing magic on the back of greats like Bobo and Hugard.

It was an interesting experience to say the least! It is good to visualize things I think, but definately the books are the best. :stout:
Yes it is possible. Bobo's book is great for learning sleights, but don't know whether it's the best. It certainly isn't good when it come to the tricks. As I am going through it, it looks like that many of them aren't that good, practical or commercial. Perhaps I got too used to Jay Sankey and others.

But again, it is a very good source for various coin sleights.
Deffinatly, Bobo's mcm is a great book to start off with sleights and tricks.
Of course you can learn it from a book, but I can recommend getting a good video/dvd too. Like Michael Ammar´s Introduction to coin magic. Also, there´s some sites on the internet where you can watch videoclips of techniques.

Håkan

:wavey:
Of course it is possible.

Best yet, by reading, you will be forced to think about what you need to do make the thing work. In doing so, you will automatically modify the sleights to suit your hands. I believe this is key if you want to develop your own magic.
Message: Posted by: Mediocre the Great (Nov 30, 2003 11:46PM)
When I started out, I studied only from books, especially Bobo.

That said, nothing can replace seeing a live magic performance... in person or on video. Only by seeing a performance can you begin to fully understand the imporance timing, presentation and misdirection. Early in my study of magic I was blown away by a complete coin vanish by a magic shop salesman. Only to learn it was a trick right out of Bobo's book that I read and disregarded as too simple to fool anyone. I didn't appreciate how powerful it was till I saw it performed. Later I re-read the trick with new knowledge and appreciation for the effect.

A good thing to do is find other magicians to learn from. Supplement your reading with attending meetings from your local magic club... find someone good with coins to study with. And yes, videos are helpful too.

Reading magic is great. I love to read and study magic books to this day. But DVDs and live magic performances are also a valuable way to learn... So it all fits together!

Enjoy!

have fun!
I sometimes think that some of you older guys are jealous that we younger ones are in this new age where it is possible to learn from great magicians as if you were with them with the use of videos.

I agree that books have their advatages. But videos have a lot of others as well, as Mediocre the Great stated. In life I never go with extremes. I always take the middle road. I am not a sleight of hand fanatic nor are the tricks I perform all self working. I never take sides. I do both. That's the way it should be in this case as well. Don't tell me that the guys who used to study with the Professor, for instance, would have been better off if they took his books or literature and studied them.

[quote]
On 2003-11-30 17:26, Conus wrote:
Of course it is possible.

Best yet, by reading, you will be forced to think about what you need to do make the thing work. In doing so, you will automatically modify the sleights to suit your hands. I believe this is key if you want to develop your own magic.

[/quote]

The same can be applied to videos. It would be stupid to force something that you cannot possibly do. You have to adapt it to your own tastes.
I am also a long time card worker who has just moved to coins, I picked up Bobo as you did because of the recommendations of the café. I think it is a great reference source and pull it off the self many times to check out what I have seen preformed, or as a study aid for routines I am trying to get down.

I have picked up more form other publications dedicated more towards complete routines. I also have picked up some of the DVD talked about here, and still am searching for my own version of the Holy Grail for coins.

My audience however seems to be receptive to the break in cards for a change. That alone is encouraging me to continue in my pursuit
:)
[quote]
On 2003-12-01 03:03, niva wrote:
I sometimes think that some of you older guys are jealous that we younger ones are in this new age where it is possible to learn from great magicians as if you were with them with the use of videos.

[/quote]

I don't think it's jealousyso much as the "older guys" just didn't have the resources that are available today.

When I was in high school and college I had to do research in the library and produce papers and theses on a typewriter!

One thing you can not do with a video is spread the instructions out on a desk or table and go through the moves with cards (or other devices) in your hands.

I think a lot of the "older guys" think that videos are great for showing performance and some moves and sleights are easier understood by watching.

I think the biggest problem with videos (and I'm talking about the performance part of the video) is that too many folks who study these video performances wind up trying to imitate the performer's style and patter.

There is only one Michael Ammar. Similarly there is only one David Regal, one Tommy Wonder, etc.

If we use videos properly then they are great teaching tools. I have several videos myself.

But let's not get into the "imitating" mode.

Soapbox is now turned off

:rotf:
I cut my teeth on manuscripts and books.

My video library is probably the smallest of any worker I know. I have recently studying through DVD.
(McClintock,Kam and Rubenstein)

I like the DVD's for the same reason I like using C/D's in my shows. I can go right to the part I want to watch.

Now that is real magic. Technology.

I still go back to the books and manuscripts of
Bey,Bobo, Neighbors, Buckley, ....

One to one lessons at conventions i.e. the time I was able to get a group lesson with Slydini in Las Vegas has also helped.

I hope to stay green and learn.

Harris
If you are finding yourself really getting into performing coin magic, you WILL eventually get at least a few videos. I found that reading the book first, and then seeing other's pro presentations later is probably the best way to go; IMO you can add your own personality to the routines more easily from reading through the book, and only afterwards should you get a video & compare your 'own take' on certain effects with the greats. Also, as mentioned before, a great benefit of using a book like Bobo's is that your pacing & patter will be more YOURS as opposed to limiting yourself to being a clone of a video.
Have fun & :goodluck:
[quote]Also, as mentioned before, a great benefit of using a book like Bobo's is that your pacing & patter will be more YOURS as opposed to limiting yourself to being a clone of a video.[/quote]

I can't understand this. There are many clones of D. Blaine, but as far as I know he hasn't put a video out, did he? Only a book. What do I mean by this? I mean that one can even become a clone from books or watching performances of other magicians. Even books contain patter and even when we buy individual effects, they also contain patter.

I think that ultimately it's up to the individual to decide whether he wants to just be another clone or an original entity and work hard to come up with his own persona. I, for instance like Bill Malone's style, and would like to have a bit of him in me and learn to use some of the jokes he uses. But only a bit. For instance, I cannot imagine using some of his jokes. It's not me, at least for now.
Books will always be a large part of magic.
Slydini, Robert Houdin and other great magicians from the past will never do videos. I think if you want to study from the greats you must be able to learn from books. It's a skill like anything else.
That's right...
but I think some slieghts, for example the pass, are today a little old fashioned. I cant do it... anyway. there are invented lots of new sleights to substitude the pass, I can go along with them. so what did I want to say. ehm its your choice what works better for you books or videos. I think both have their advantages and diesadvantages...
Treasure your classic works on coin magic in your library collections..Bobo. Buckley etc., cuz in the not too distant future...there will be less and less in print format and more and more in dvd type format.

I don't expect anything like Modern Coin Magic (print) to come our way again.