(Close Window)
Topic: Memoria - Fraser Parker
Just released!!

What they say:

"After the amazing response from Fraser's first release; True Mysteries, he's back with a single effect PDF in which you will be able to read a spectator's mind and describe a memory they are thinking of.

Nothing is written down, or peeked. This is a very clever tool that you will be able to apply to several different effects with a bit of thought.

Those familiar with Fraser's previous work will recognise the strength that this secret and unique method holds - It'll take you a single read of the PDF to grasp and understand the principles at work and You'll instantly be able to go out and perform the effect with no construction, you just need something that every magician has in the house, guaranteed.

Alongside the basic effect that Fraser explains, we've also included "The Person Subtlety" from Dee Christopher's Deadly Subtleties manuscript for completeness."

What I say:

I really like this idea, it's natural and looks, but more importantly 'feels', like real mind reading to both the participant and the rest of the audience. Fraser has a way of thinking that is both fresh and original and his latest release is no exception. Own it.

- Anthony

Link: http://www.deechristopher.co.uk/products/memoria-fraser-parker
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (May 19, 2013 12:27PM)
We've got it up here:

http://www.deechristopher.co.uk/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/memoria-fraser-parker

I love Fraser's thinking in this - Very simple in method, but really clever! :)

DC
Could either of you be a little more specific about the method? rather than just ambiguously stating "Describe a memory they are thinking of"
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (May 19, 2013 03:40PM)
A spectator selects a playing card (You could use tarot, symbol cards or pictures though if you're REALLY against playing cards!) and is also asked to think of a specific memory. You then reveal details and the exact memory they were thinking of and finally to round it off, you reveal the card they're thinking of too.

It's a really nice routine with a very effective method - There's no TOD methodology or anything like that, you reveal the memory first, then you reveal the card. Very direct, built for close-up, but would also work in front of an audience.

You also get a subtlety I developed which is *kind of* along similar lines, when Fraser sent me this, I thought it'd be beneficial to the readers to have both ideas in the PDF.

Hope that helps!

DC
Do you HAVE to reveal the card last? cos it feels somewhat of a let down to do something as potent and as lovely as a memory...and THEN tell them the card...
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (May 19, 2013 03:45PM)
No, you could reveal the card first if you wanted too. :)
Sounds intriguing. I'm definitely a fan of Fraser Parker. When you say we need to carry something, is that the deck of cards, or is there something else WITH the deck of cards? If it's just the cards I may have to look into getting it as I ALWAYS have cards on me.
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (May 19, 2013 03:50PM)
No, it's just the deck - That's the one thing that all magicians have!
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 16:50, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:
No, it's just the deck - That's the one thing that all magicians have!
[/quote]

Intriguing. One more question if you don't mind, do I have to use cards of some sort or could I use "Slide" in conjunction with this to reveal a memory and a thought of picture from their phone?
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (May 19, 2013 03:55PM)
Best to PM me Maddy, but if you always carry cards as you mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue anyway! :D

If you like Fraser's work, you'll love this.

DC
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 16:55, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:
Best to PM me Maddy, but if you always carry cards as you mentioned, it shouldn't be an issue anyway! :D

If you like Fraser's work, you'll love this.

DC
[/quote]

It's pretty true! I am rarely seen without my cards! But every now and then I'll leave my cards in my car, and someone will ask to see something. I'll shoot a PM your way.
I like the sound of this one,, I love anything to do with memories, like Kioku. I will get this one for sure.
Got this, definitely worth picking up.
Very clever.:-D
I just bought this, but havent gotten a download link.

Am I supposed to wait until Dee sends it over?

Thanks

Alex
Nevermind got it.

Alex
Hey guys,

After one read through, you will use this.

Very clever.

I have a nice subtlety that I immediately thought of that I will use.

If you want send me a PM with proof of purchase and I will fill you in on the details.

Alex
Hi Alex, pm sent.
All the best. ;-)
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 13:17, Anthony Black wrote:
It'll take you a single read of the PDF to grasp and understand the principles at work and You'll instantly be able to go out and perform the effect
[/quote]
Awesome, always wanted to do an effect in my act with no work or prep involved!

[quote]
You just need something that every magician has in the house, guaranteed.
[/quote]
Magician? ***, thought this was the "Penny" forum. Oh well.
[quote]
[/quote]

Read your own aviator, "magical entertainer" LOL!
[quote]
On 2013-05-20 07:35, takeachance wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Read your own aviator, "magical entertainer" LOL!
[/quote]

lol you got me :goof:
[quote]
On 2013-05-20 07:03, Mesaboogie wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 13:17, Anthony Black wrote:
It'll take you a single read of the PDF to grasp and understand the principles at work and You'll instantly be able to go out and perform the effect
[/quote]
Awesome, always wanted to do an effect in my act with no work or prep involved!
[quote]

That's from the ad copy dingus...as stated above quite clearly. i.e. 'What they say'. :jesterhat:

Thanks for answering Magic.Maddy's questions Dee, you beat me to it. :D

- Anthony
Hey guys,

Last night I was with a bunch of magicians, and performed Memoria for one of them.

It was such a hit, that everytime someone would show up to the party, they asked me to perform Memoria for them.

I have a few ruses that seemed to take Memoria over the top, that happened to me all night yesterday and that's what made it miracle status.

if you want to know what those ruses are, send me a PM, I will fill you in on details with proof of purchase.

alex
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (May 24, 2013 06:42AM)
Great stuff Alex! Glad to hear you're getting on with it so well! :)

If you want to PM me over your thoughts/subtleties, I'd love to read them!

DC
Just ordered because of you Alex :)
[quote]
On 2013-05-24 07:58, Stephen Young wrote:
Just ordered because of you Alex :)
[/quote]
Ah!
Ah ha!
Morten Harket?
[quote]
On 2013-05-24 14:01, Stephen Young wrote:
Morten Harket?
[/quote]

nah, I think its Alan Partridge ;)
Love it: simple, devious, brilliant.

Also many thanks to Alex for sharing his additional subtleties :)
Fraser´s Memoria is an excellent way to get an added thought and revelation (hopefully) during your mindreading piece. It could be a memory, but creative performers can create different outcomes easily.
Typical bold thinking from Fraser plus great script.

Best
Is it language dependent or can that be done in any language ?
[quote]
On 2013-05-27 17:07, moualb wrote:
Is it language dependent or can that be done in any language ?
[/quote]

I perform in Spanish. I don't see the language barrier on this piece.

Best
Hey guys,

All who have PMed me have received my added convincers/subtleties to make this play stronger.

I am performing this on a daily basis, and it kills.

Dee,

Just sent over my thoughts.

Thanks

Alex
I just bought this and my initial thoughts were... oh dear, I hope I havent wasted my money on this.

However, after reading through the ebook again I realize the thinking behind it more and it really is a nice clever piece. it is not in my opinion a stand alone killer routine.

But if presented well, its a nice little memory revelation piece were the audience will really believe you have just read someones thoughts and memories.

Alex, I hope its not too late for me to give you a PM?

kindly,
Jordan
[quote]
On 2013-05-24 07:42, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:

If you want to PM me over your thoughts/subtleties, I'd love to read them!

DC
[/quote]

Also had some thoughts on this: just PMd you :)
This is a very useful concept, and I am using it with photographs rather than playing cards.
It enables me to build on the congruence between chosen image and any related memories.

Steve
Hey guys,

I have been killing with this, and I have sent everyone the subtleties including Dee.

I have only used it for closeup situations, but tonight I will use it on stage.

Thanks all who Pmed me.

Alex
So many ebooks with great new concepts turn out to be not for me. I could say they were cr@p but others rave about them so maybe it's just my taste. With that in mind I was surprised by this because I like it a lot. It's a clever and subtle use of a great technique. Exactly the material I like. Tried it out twice today and love it :)

Nice work Frazer :)

Best
Sean
Anyone else using this with things other than p,aying cards?

Steve
Times on a watch, the dates from a calender in a mobile phone... There are a lot of things you could do it with if you had nothing on you ;)

Pete x
The best way to describe Memoria would be that it is an attempt at a close-up impromptu "Reminiscence". It should be noted, however,
that it cannot be performed close up to one person.

It's not entirely clear what relationships playing cards have to memories and the scripting doesn't make it any clearer to the spectator or the audience, but as Peter says, it would be possible (preferable)to use something other than a deck of cards as the initial "memory generating" device. The effect seems pretty muddled to me, but there may be a germ of an idea trying to get out (unfortunately, I feel that germ fully formed itself over a decade ago in Mr Brown's effect but I have the feeling I'm a bit old fashioned in my tastes).

I remain unconvinced that the technique used in Memoria is suitable for close up work but much more experienced minds than me insist it is so. If you agree with them you may love this effect. I think there are much stronger and more logical ways to achieve the effect that actually can be performed close up, one on one.

For full disclosure, I am not a friend or business associate of the creator and paid full price for this effect.
Photographs!

Combine it with my Photo Psyche and you have a congruence between the memories and the item being chosen.
A killer that can work for one person, though I agree it works best for a group.

I can see the correlation with Derrens's effect, but in my opinion it is a different animal indeed.

It's very tempting to say "Original is best, don't mess with it"
Buy if we didn't constantly tweak, re-work or completely overhaul existing effects, technology, laws, anything.... there would be no progress.

I think this effect is worthy of working on, possibly polishing off some rough edges, but there are lots of effects that need some tweaking before putting into practice.

All this just my opinion
Steve

PS something I've been hinting at when mentioning using things other than cards,
Try combining it with MD. Some colour related memories anc ...
KERPOW! A very strong variant indeed
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply to my critique of Memoria. You write:

"Combine it with my Photo Psyche and you have a congruence between the memories and the item being chosen.
A killer that can work for one person, though I agree it works best for a group."

I haven't yet purchased Photo Psyche. Are you saying that if I combined your effect with Memoria I would be able to perform the Memoria effect one-on-one with a spectator and achieve something other than what Mr Parker himself calls "the mundane effect"?
If so, the effect you are selling sounds very interesting.
But as it stands I would say Memoria is IMPOSSIBLE to perform one on one, just as "Reminiscence" would be.Not necessarily a deal breaker (I consider "Reminiscence" to be one of the greatest routines of all time)but something I wish I had known before I purchased it.In that respect I think the advertising is somewhat misleading.

"It's very tempting to say "Original is best, don't mess with it"
Buy if we didn't constantly tweak, re-work or completely overhaul existing effects, technology, laws, anything.... there would be no progress."

Agree with you 100%. I sadly don't consider this to be progress, more regress, though as I say, I know there are people who love this sort of thing and may well love Memoria.

Regards,
Martin.
I like Memoria very much and it has a lot of possibilities. And I have a list of other effects/techniques that I can use Memoria with. Although I have no problems in using cards. Also you can use tarot or similar decks.

The only point in common between Memoria and Reminiscence is the theme. I can't see how Memoria is a "regress"... I don't understand that point.

You can perform Memoria one on one with no problem (I don't see why you can't). But you can't perform Reminiscence one on one. Reminiscence is a stage routine. Memoria is for close-up, stage,... You can use Memoria with other techniques/effects,... Even you can perform Memoria impromptu. Reminiscence needs a setup and props. So I don't understand why to compare those two.

For a version of Memoria impromptu (no deck or any mentalist's prop) you can do a lot of things. Even I could do it using only my phone or the spectator's phone, or only pen and paper.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 06:19, Cristobal wrote:
The only point in common between Memoria and Reminiscence is the theme. [quote]

Both effects involve the performer revealing memories that the spectator is only thinking of, prompted by looking at a card they have chosen. They both use the same technique to achieve this illusion. The only difference is that Memoria is trying to achieve this in an impromptu fashion. In my opinion it doesn't succeed.

[quote]
I can't see how Memoria is a "regress"... I don't understand that point.
[quote]

In Reminiscence, Derren Brown was careful to add a lot of convincers and subtleties that threw both subject and observers off the track - the hypnotic induction, the audience feedback, the t** d***, the final use of a***** .Memoria, in common with most of the latest effects using this technique abandons such subtleties and convincers. I consider this a regression.

[quote]
You can perform Memoria one on one with no problem (I don't see why you can't).
[quote]

Perhaps you are misunderstanding me. I mean it cannot be done one on one with no one else watching. I don't see how you can perform any effect of this nature one on one. The clue is in the name of the technique. I agree that you could perform what Mr Parker calls the "mundane effect" one on one, but why would anyone want to do that? It would be like performing Colin McLeods Bookless Booktest to a single spectator.

Nor do I think it is realistic to perform this close up to people who know each other. Not if you want to prevent their memory of the effect passing from the "major" to the "mundane" rather swiftly.

[quote]Reminiscence is a stage routine, Memoria is for close up... you can perform Memoria impromptu. Reminiscence needs a set up and props. So I don't understand why to compare the two.
[quote]

Er... That is why I said in my first sentence it is an attempt to do CLOSE UP, IMPROMPTU Reminiscence. I can only assume you didn't read my initial post?

You seem to be making it work very well for you so it was obviously a worthwhile purchase in your eyes. I think it is muddled in concept and weak in effect.

Regards,
Martin
[quote]
They both use the same technique to achieve this illusion.
[/quote]

Well... The same technique... I could accept is conceptually the same "family of techniques". As I said: if Reminiscence use special props and Memoria can be achieve with, let's say, a cross f***e and a regular deck (or with a psychological f***e or whatever you want), it can not be the same technique.

[quote]
In Reminiscence, Derren Brown was careful to add a lot of convincers and subtleties that threw both subject and observers off the track - the hypnotic induction, the audience feedback, the t** d***, the final use of a***** .Memoria, in common with most of the latest effects using this technique abandons such subtleties and convincers. I consider this a regression.
[/quote]

Memoria is a technique and you can build a routine above it as simple or complex as you want. For example, you can add the hypnotic induction if you want, or a DD at the end, name divination,...

[quote]
I don't see how you can perform any effect of this nature one on one. The clue is in the name of the technique.
(...)
Nor do I think it is realistic to perform this close up to people who know each other. Not if you want to prevent their memory of the effect passing from the "major" to the "mundane" rather swiftly.
[/quote]

Even if the spectators see only the "mundane" effect, it's a good presentation for that kind of effects. With Reminiscence, if both parts comments the effect you are totally caught. Also, as Peter Turner and others suggest and demonstrate, that "technique" can work in close up perfectly.

[quote]
Er... That is why I said in my first sentence it is an attempt to do CLOSE UP, IMPROMPTU Reminiscence. I can only assume you didn't read my initial post?
[/quote]

I didn't mean you said otherwise.

[quote]
You seem to be making it work very well for you so it was obviously a worthwhile purchase in your eyes. I think it is muddled in concept and weak in effect.
[/quote]

Well, let's see this way: there are times I only divine a card (and it's such a great effect for spectators). With Memoria I can divine complex memories and more at the same "price". And I can apply it to a lot of other effects.
I notice, it's often people misunderstand you post Martin.
I understood the same things Cristobal has understood.
Memoria has nothing in commun with reminescense.
It's not because you can't do it, it means it doesn't work or it's impossible.
This effect need practice , it's not a ready to perform effect become mind reader in 5mn and win a puppet.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 09:16, parmenion wrote:
I notice, it's often people misunderstand you post Martin.
I understood the same things Cristobal has understood.
Memoria has nothing in commun with reminescense.
It's not because you can't do it, it means it doesn't work or it's impossible.
This effect need practice , it's not a ready to perform effect become mind reader in 5mn and win a puppet.
[/quote]

I've noticed that too parmenion. Perhaps it is because I am not a friend or aquaintance of the people who are SELLING these effects, just someone BUYING them. Strangely the posts praising each new release with overwhelming hyperbole are never misunderstood. Odd that!

As for Memoria having nothing in common with Reminiscence. Er...we are talking about the same routines I take it!?

Also, I have no need to win a puppet, but nor do I think practising Memoria will erase its basic defects.

Sorry I can't be gushing in my praise for this. I like to tell the truth in my reviews as I see it. Hope that is still allowed on the Café?
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 09:02, Cristobal wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Well... The same technique... I could accept is conceptually the same "family of techniques". As I said: if Reminiscence use special props and Memoria can be achieve with, let's say, a cross f***e and a regular deck (or with a psychological f***e or whatever you want), it can not be the same technique.
[/quote]

The technique I am talking about is the one the author himself claims achieves the illusion. The one he mentions four times in the introduction to Memoria. That technique. It is the same main technique used in Reminiscence. I'm happy to debate subjective matters but any serious person discussing this effect must surely acknowledge that objective fact.

Some of Mr Parker's other work is doubtless wonderful. I really like his persona, approach and intention and look forward to buying more of his work. But this one was a major disappointment for me.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 10:00, Martin Pulman wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 09:02, Cristobal wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The technique I am talking about is the one the author himself claims achieves the illusion. The one he mentions four times in the introduction to Memoria. That technique. It is the same main technique used in Reminiscence. I'm happy to debate subjective matters but any serious person discussing this effect must surely acknowledge that objective fact.

Some of Mr Parker's other work is doubtless wonderful. I really like his persona, approach and intention and look forward to buying more of his work. But this one was a major disappointment for me.
[/quote]

If you read between the lines of my post you'll see that I understand the "technique" you are talking about. But you must admit that not all routines that use that technique are related to Reminiscence. Same technique if you want but the method is totally different. Memoria uses the same general principle but in a different way.

I think that Parmenion means that you must work to build a solid routine using the idea that Parker sells, not only practicing it.

By the way I'm not related to Fraser Parker in any way, have not even talked online. I simply like the effect :D You have the right to criticize it, but I have the right to answered you too. I think I've been polite ;)
Cristobal,

Not sure what the winking icon means but I certainly think you have been polite. We are debating a mentalism effect, not solving the middle east conflict, why woudn't we be polite?

I'm sure it is likely most people on the Café will agree with your opinion of Memoria. I think, however, it is healthy for the Café to hear a variety of opinions, if the opinions are honestly held and not personal in nature.

Regards, Martin.
He calls it the mundane effect to differentiate it in the manuscript. Not because it is actually mundane. The strength is in how you present it, how you build it up. That's down to you and has nothing to do with what's in the ebook.

Sean
I think It's a good thing that the same effect can be a fantastic worker for one performer, but leave another underwhelmed.

We all have different styles, personas, even audiences.
Personally I very much like effects that leave a lot of room for "tweaking"
It means that not everyone is performing a carbon copy of the same routine.

To answer Martins' earlier question about performing to one person using my Photo Psyche rather than playing cards.
Yes the person would get, IMHO, a much bigger effect than the reveal of a card.

But I don't want it to seem like I'm saying the effect as it stands is not good. I use playing cards very sparingly and don't usually carry them, but my photographs I have with me all the time.

Steve
Oh I see Sean. If you don't like an effect it is down to your inability to perform it. Presumably if you do like it, the same logic applies and it is down to your superior performing skills and nothing to do with the effect?

I hope you can see it is silly for you to bring my personal performing ability into the discussion. I think we should stick to objective arguments rather than ad hominem ones.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 12:01, Stephen Young wrote:
I think It's a good thing that the same effect can be a fantastic worker for one performer, but leave another underwhelmed.

We all have different styles, personas, even audiences.
Personally I very much like effects that leave a lot of room for "tweaking"
It means that not everyone is performing a carbon copy of the same routine.

To answer Martins' earlier question about performing to one person using my Photo Psyche rather than playing cards.
Yes the person would get, IMHO, a much bigger effect than the reveal of a card.

But I don't want it to seem like I'm saying the effect as it stands is not good. I use playing cards very sparingly and don't usually carry them, but my photographs I have with me all the time.

Steve
[/quote]

I agree with you 100% Steve.

Funnily enough I love using playing cards in mentalism and think this effect is weak, tweaking or no, you don't use cards a lot and think the effect is strong, even stronger with tweaking. Just proves that mentalism is a beautifully complex art form worthy of serious debate, not only gushing praise.

Best wishes,
Martin.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 12:08, Martin Pulman wrote:
Oh I see Sean. If you don't like an effect it is down to your inability to perform it. Presumably if you do like it, the same logic applies and it is down to your superior performing skills and nothing to do with the effect?

[/quote]

Nope. Never said it, never suggested it. Never implied it, certainly don't believe it.
Phew. We are in agreement!
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 12:08, Martin Pulman wrote:

I hope you can see it is silly for you to bring my personal performing ability into the discussion.
[/quote]
I didn't. No idea if or how well you perform.

[quote]
Martin Pulman wrote:
I think we should stick to objective arguments rather than ad hominem ones.
[/quote]
Please do.
I always try to play the ball, Sean. I am trying to make my reviews as polite as possible while remaining honest.

I can't agree with you on the strength of Mr Parker's "mundane effect". I think he has named it wisely. I can't see any way to dress it up or sell it as a strong effect on its own. I think the weakness, and it is, in my opinion, pretty weak, is in the ebook, not in the performer. Even Mr Canasta would struggle to sell that part of the effect on its own.

But Mr Parker doesn't intend it to stand alone. It is only one part of the overall effect which is why the posts above claiming you can perform this one on one are, in my opinion, rather wide of the mark.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 11:18, Martin Pulman wrote:
Cristobal,

Not sure what the winking icon means but I certainly think you have been polite. We are debating a mentalism effect, not solving the middle east conflict, why woudn't we be polite?

I'm sure it is likely most people on the Café will agree with your opinion of Memoria. I think, however, it is healthy for the Café to hear a variety of opinions, if the opinions are honestly held and not personal in nature.

Regards, Martin.
[/quote]

Please, simply give your opinion, but stop trying to suggest someone is trying to censure you ;)

[quote]
But Mr Parker doesn't intend it to stand alone. It is only one part of the overall effect which is why the posts above claiming you can perform this one on one are rather silly.
[/quote]

Memoria is not a one on one effect... Of course! But if for any reason only the "mundane" effect works this will be at least as powerful as a card divination what, in my experience, can be a very strong effect.
Fair enough if you "can't see any way to dress it up or sell it as a strong effect on its own" but others believe they can, so why characterize their posts as silly.

edit; Ok, I see you've edited your post and replaced 'silly' with 'wide of the mark' so ignore the above.
Cristobel,

At 6:19AM you wrote:"You can perform Memoria one on one with no problem!(I don't see why you can't)

At 2:28PM you wrote:"Memoria is not a one on one effect...of course!"

I hope you can understand that I am now confused as to your opinion.
Memoria can be performed with Phil Smith's CS deck. The key word can be revealed weaved in at the end of the memory.

Woodfield
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 15:51, Martin Pulman wrote:
Cristobel,

At 6:19AM you wrote:"You can perform Memoria one on one with no problem!(I don't see why you can't)

At 2:28PM you wrote:"Memoria is not a one on one effect...of course!"

I hope you can understand that I am now confused as to your opinion.
[/quote]

Memoria is not a one on one effect but you can perform that way if you want. Is there any contradiction here? Obviously if you do one on one you can't get the whole effect.

I've explained before multiples times what I meant but I'll do it again: if the DR doesn't work there is an strong effect anyway.
Memoria is not a one on one effect but you can perform that way if you want. Is there any contradiction here? Obviously if you do one on one you can't get the whole effect.

I've explained before multiples times what I meant but I'll do it again: if the DR doesn't work there is an strong effect anyway.
[/quote]

Hi cristabel,

I hope you'll forgive me if I say that what you are arguing makes no logical sense.

My statement that Memoria cannot be performed one-on-one is, logically, not up for debate. It is an analytic proposition like the proposition "all bachelors are unmarried". ie: it is necessarily true on purely logical grounds.

The proposition is:
a) DR effects cannot, by definition, be performed one on one.
b) Memoria is a DR effect.
therefore
c) Memoria cannot, by definition, be performed one on one.

The question of whether it is good, bad or indifferent is, of course, totally up for debate. I look forward to reading others thoughts on that issue.

Regards,
Martin.
I know nothing about this effect but your logic makes sense to me Martin,

who is the second reality for if we perform for one person? us?
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 16:54, Martin Pulman wrote:
The proposition is:
a) DR effects cannot, by definition, be performed one on one.
b) Memoria is a DR effect.
therefore
c) Memoria cannot, by definition, be performed one on one.
[/quote]

Of course, I'll explain it although this is very basic. I recommend you to investigate more about DR techniques (there are more than one). I'll give you an example: you can divine a memory, one on one, using a CT; now you can add DR (in the form of pre-s***) and, there we have, a DR effect that also works one on one.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:29, Cristobal wrote:
Of course, I'll explain it although this is very basic. I recommend you to investigate more about DR techniques (there are more than one). I'll give you an example: you can divine a memory, one on one, using a CT; now you can add DR (in the form of pre-s***) and, there we have, a DR effect that also works one on one.
[/quote]

what do you mean pre-show? who goes to the show? if it is people, then the second reality is for them, other people
Just in case I'll expand my explanation saying that it is not always possible to use one on one all DR routines, of course. PK Touches is an obvious example.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:35, Olympic Adam wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:29, Cristobal wrote:
[/quote]

what do you mean pre-s***? who goes to the show? if it is people, then the second reality is for them, other people
[/quote]

I think I don't understand you. Or perhaps I didn't explain well. Same effect perform in two ways: close up one on one, and for stage using pre-s***. What is exactly the question?

(By the way, Memoria has nothing to do with pre-s***.)
Sorry Cristobel, you've lost me. In your example, who is experiencing the 2nd "R" that makes the effect "DR"?
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:17, Olympic Adam wrote:
I know nothing about this effect but your logic makes sense to me Martin,

who is the second reality for if we perform for one person? us?
[/quote]

Thanks Adam,
I was beginning to think I was losing my mind!
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:42, Cristobal wrote:
I think I don't understand you. Or perhaps I didn't explain well. Same effect perform in two ways: close up one on one, and for stage using pre-s***. What is exactly the question?

(By the way, Memoria has nothing to do with pre-s***.)
[/quote]

Usually, a stage performance is for more than one person, therefore not one on one,
It appears to me that you mean you can perform ONE of the two effects on it's own, but that's just one effect. For it do be dual reality, surely there has to be a second part, for different people

If I understand your meaning correctly, it's true, you can perform the single effects sometimes for one person, but that's not DR.

(someone probably thinks this should go downstairs but if lay people can work out what we are talking about, then I think it's too late)
[quote]

(someone probably thinks this should go downstairs but if lay people can work out what we are talking about, then I think it's too late)
[/quote]

Never mind laypeople, after the last few posts I'm not sure I can work out what we are talking about!
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:51, Olympic Adam wrote:

If I understand your meaning correctly, it's true, you can perform the single effects sometimes for one person, but that's not DR.
[/quote]

Of course, for one on one there is no DR working, I didn't say otherwise.
[quote]
and, there we have, a DR effect that also works one on one.
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:45, Martin Pulman wrote:
Sorry Cristobel, you've lost me. In your example, who is experiencing the 2nd "R" that makes the effect "DR"?
[/quote]

Hahaha, really? Well, I'll play along:

When you perform the effect for one on one there is no DR working (voilà!), but the effect works great for the only person you are performing. I mean: if you do a CT for only one spectator and divine his memory he's going to freak out, I promise! The same with Memoria.
Cristobel,

Thank you for your advice that I should go and investigate more about DR techniques. I will be sure to do so. We should never stop learning.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 18:07, Olympic Adam wrote:
[quote]
and, there we have, a DR effect that also works one on one.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Oh, now I see your concern. Well, let's rephrase and say "a DR effect that also works one on one without DR working, because DR only will works with more than one person, but with the same effect for the person you are performing (*)".

(*) and the same handling for Memoria in both cases, I'll add.
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 18:15, Martin Pulman wrote:
Cristobel,

Thank you for your advice that I should go and investigate more about DR techniques. I will be sure to do so. We should never stop learning.
[/quote]

Hehehe, I get the sarcasm, and I know you got mine ;) I'm sure you understand my point perfectly.

Best regards,

Cristóbal
Cristobal, you may have been being sarcastic. I was serious. We SHOULD never stop learning. The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing, as Socrates probably didn't say.
I like Socrates, he was one of the best Brasilian football player I have ever seen!
Surely you're not that old.
I spent a lot of time going over this last night.

I believe I have a way to perform this to one person.
(Even using playing cards rather than my preferred photographs.)
and the person would get just as big an effect as if he was watching it performed to somebody else.

It requires only a little tweaking.
The whole effect is more involved, and, by combining this with another effect I could perform it over the phone. By email, SMNS Skype etc.

Steve
[quote]
On 2013-06-06 03:30, parmenion wrote:
I like Socrates, he was one of the best Brasilian football player I have ever seen!
[/quote]

He was brilliant, but I'll curse him to my dying day for his part in Brazil's lucky win over Scotland in 1982!
Now that must be sarcasm :)

Steve
All four of their goals were flukey, including the free kick that curled into the top corner from 25 yards.
Having just watched the highlights of the match on YouTube, I can only think that your reporting of this match involves a hefty dose of DR :)

steve
LOL!!!

Indeed. But I have found a way to tweak the highlights which makes them play as a glorious Scottish victory when shown one on one to a single spectator.
I like your sense of humour.

I guess it could only be performed for those who had not seen the game, and were oblivious to any subtle tell-tale nuances that could give the game away (so to speak)
So basically only good for performing to Americans :)
Quite. It can only work for spectators with little or no knowledge of the game of football. I only perform it for Americans or Glasgow Rangers supporters.
Meeeoooow!!!!!
We've derailed this thread somewhat, sorry.
Back on topic.
I am happy with my purchase of Memoria.
I may not present it word-for-word as it is outlined (and we should all put our own spin on any effect we purchase) But it's not too far away from how Fraser Parker intended it.

Steve
Quite right Steve. Back on topic. In your tweaked single spectator version of Memoria, does the spectator now experience the major Memoria effect or an enhanced "mundane" effect? I can certainly see several ways to do the latter,, but if it is the former I would say you have created a new and much stronger effect which I would certainly be interested in purchasing! Despite you mocking the sporting abilities of my beautiful homeland.
Not mocking at all.
Probably a side effect of those rose tinted spectacles you must have been wearing in 1982. :)

Yes they experience a major effect.
Steve
If we use photos or something like tarot cards we can get a direct hit with the memory most of the times. Don't you think?
Indeed.
Steve was kind enough to share with me some thoughts on his "tweaked" Memoria. I think these ideas, even at the early "off the top of the head" stage are considerably stronger than the released Memoria effect.

In fact, given that he has got rid of the two elements that Mr Parker states constitute his effect in the ebook, I would argue that Steve isn't actually performing Memoria at all and should consider tweaking his effect further and releasing it. I'm sure he'll be much too modest to agree.

(Steve also almost nailed me with one of his own effects but luckily he missed, (due to my incompetence) so my sanity and disbelief in DR as a close up one-on-one technique has survived! If only he hadn't tempted me with naked women on horseback...)
I have worked out a version of this using only words to make it work. This is the perfect arrangement for this effect and how I now personally use the concept. NO words are written down. This makes the DR fit even better now, also allowing for a real memory to be revealed.

Others have already sent their ideas and praise for the original version of this. They have found it can be used in many different ways, not only how I teach it in the manuscript. The use of real impressions can also be included to make this even stronger for the person taking part.

The newer version will be sent out soon to all of those who have already purchased this effect. In the meantime, if you pm with the last three words from the original manuscript, as proof of purchase, I will send out the update to you early.

Fraser.
The original of this, IMHO was well worthy of the price.
And the fact that it can be customised by each performer, I see as a plus point.

I look forward to reading the update.

If I may, Fraser, I'll pm you my tweaks that I find help make this fit my style.

Steve
Fraser thank you very much for sending the updates for this effect. Im sure it will be even stronger now!

Sending you a PM now,

Jordan
PM sent Fraser!

~ Nique
I've only read through it but it sure sounds like it will play well.

best
Sean
Thanks for the update Fraser.
There are now numerous ways to present and perform this.
Integrate it into other effects.
Build on it.
or play it as written.

Very good value IMHO.

steve
Very nice improvement to the original presentation
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (Jun 14, 2013 01:21PM)
I've just sent out the Memoria supplement to all previous customers - If anyone doesn't receive theirs at some point this evening (automated emails sometimes take a little while due to queues on the server) check your junk mail folder. If it's not there, shoot me an email to DC (at) DeeChristopher.com and I'll sort you out direct.

All future Memoria purchases will automatically receive this supplement as part of their purchase.

To keep things clear, I've also added an outline of how the effect plays, as I received a couple of questions about that! You can see more and pick up your copy here:

http://www.deechristopher.co.uk/collections/dee-christopher-products/products/memoria-fraser-parker

Cheers!
DC
Thank you DC for the supplement. Great service.

Unfortunately, I found this update to be equally as weak as the original, but I really appreciate a creator who is prepared to try and fine tune their work and offer new thoughts free of charge.
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 16:40, DeeChristopherMagic wrote:
A spectator selects a playing card (You could use tarot, symbol cards or pictures though if you're REALLY against playing cards!) and is also asked to think of a specific memory. You then reveal details and the exact memory they were thinking of and finally to round it off, you reveal the card they're thinking of too.

It's a really nice routine with a very effective method - There's no TOD methodology or anything like that, you reveal the memory first, then you reveal the card. Very direct, built for close-up, but would also work in front of an audience.
[/quote]

That sounds almost exactly like a description of Docc Hilfords's Perfect Mental Club Act (released around 1994/95 ?). Now, after reading this thread, I'm afraid that the methods used by Docc and Fraser could be very similar, if not even the same. Is there anybody who knows both releases? Are there any major differences between these two products? Would be very nice to know.
The two products are nothing alike.
Hi cpbartak!
Would you care to elaborate on the differences? Without tipping the method of course. Or if it is more comfortable for you, please feel free to PM me.
On second read, they are definitely similar in some respects. In Memoria, though, the chosen cards could be openly shown to the audience and the audience would be none the wiser.
I purchased Memoria from lybrary.com two days ago and to be honest I'm quite disappointed (not disappointed by lybrary.com, their service is top notch as always).

The first negative thing that struck me right away was the e-book layout. Because there is non. You just get 12 unnumbered pages of plain text. No cover page, no imprint or edition notice, not even a page header with the name of the effect or the author's name. Nothing! The text just starts.

My second point of criticism is the font size. It is MUCH to big (to fill the pages I presume).
The size is 26pt! After converting it into a text with the standard font size of 12pt I was left with only 3 Pages! Yes, three pages for $15!

English (as you have surely figured out yet) is not my first language, but even I spotted quite a few typos and some highly confusing sentences. That gave me the feeling that this e-book was written on the spur of the moment and immediately published.

But will the trick work? I'm not convinced. I'm a professional mentalist. Mentalism is my day job. My love for this art started 20 years ago and in all modesty I gathered a bit of experience over the years. Would I use Memoria to try to entertain a paying audience? No! Not in its current form as it is described in this e-book.
In my humble opinion Memoria (lybrary.com-version) is a nice little idea in an embryonic state that should not have been published yet. There are more subtle and more elaborated ways to achieve the the same effect. And at $15 for 12 ( 3! ) pages filled with one half baked idea it is grossly overpriced.

PS: I have the feeling that this document was meant as a kind of supplement to a trick (the original Memoria) that is NOT explained in this e-book. After reading this version two times I still think that the original effect must have been quite similar to Docc Hilford's Perfect Mental Club Act. But I'm only speculating here.
I had the same experience Meng.

The document on lybrary appeared to just be the supplement, very amateurish looking.

I contacted lybrary and they said they had asked Fraser to contact me for the full manuscript.

I waited 2 days but received no contact from Fraser. For that reason I asked lybrary for a refund, which they graciously did.

If you're dissatisfied (as I was) then contact lybrary and explain the situation. They'll be able to help you out I'm sure.

Regards,
Lar.
Very disappointing purchase. Very amateurish looking. No page number,no title. Besides,the PDF file seemed to be only a supplement.
I have contacted Fraser parker for full manuscript with no answer.
THough I like his previous work,Memoria is not recommanded.
If anyone is interested the full work on this including some additional thinking by Pete Turner is available in book form here:

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/magic-tricks/magicbox-exclusive/memoria-by-fraser-parker.html

This contains titles, page numbers and has been formated to look the best it can possibly be ;)

Best Wishes Michael
Ahh Peter never mentioned he'd added something to this.
I'll have to dig my original out I think.
Brush up on it before lookig at this latest version

Steve
Unless I'm clueless the DVD seems to not be available at the link given on the first page but is available as a download taught by Luke Jermay at Penguin. Anyone know the story behind this?
The two products are completely different but share the same name. My effect involves revealing a thought of memory with nothing written down and the effect Luke teaches is to apparently memorize a deck of cards.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

On a side note, the original Memoria manuscript was sold as an ebook on various sites and is now only available via MagicBox in book form.

This is the full effect taught in great detail and the ultimate resource for this effect. It even includes additional work by my friend Peter Turner as well as a way of doing this completely propless.

I am really pleased with how this has turned out. My friends at MagicBox have produced a beautiful product, with the same look and feel as Isobella's Star 2 that also lives up to the amazing content contained within.
Very cool book, happy with the investment. Have been spending time perfecting my riffle f**ce to do this material justice. What I enjoy about this type of content is it's a principle with a lot of applications rather than just one effect.
Just ordered.....im intrigued....I don't know what to expect with this because the description was vague....But since its recommended by Peter turner I tok the plunge
I like this alot, so much so I bought the rights from Fraser ha ha.

Anyway I now personaly favour the propless approach and have used this to great effect so far.

I'm sure you will love it Blake when you get it ;)
Been perfecting a f**ce for this. Maybe need to have another look at propless. Thanks as always Mr. Murray!
Been perfecting a card f**ce for this. Maybe need to have another look at propless. Thanks as always Mr. Murray!
My pleasure Jeff ;)
This came in today. I love it. Great ideas. And as always Peter Turner's touches are awesome.
Hey all, I know I am a little late to the party on this one, but I have been toying with Memoria for about a month now waiting to write up a review from the perspective of someone who takes this out and works it...like a sled dog I might add. It is really interesting first off to look at this small volume as a time line of expansion starting with a very rough concept all the way to a completely crazy miracle that looks like a real mind reading experience along with other's takes on the initial concept. This is what I hope mentalism is beginning to grow and develop into, a collaborative effort where tools and concepts can be communicated between creative thinkers in an effort to elevate the art as a whole, blending into something more amazingly beautiful.

Now as for the effect itself, it's a memory revelation and with a little creative thinking on your part you can reframe it as literally anything you want to reveal. I have a take on this using meals and those who own this already have an idea of how you can incorporate that in. The tools discussed in here are, in my humble opinion, worth the price of the book alone even outside the fact that you are getting a fully scripted worker that can easily be adapted to fit almost any scenerio (even though I usually work it as a close up piece). Fraser and Pete together have created a real stunner here and with a little imagination you can turn this into a completely propless demonstration where you do in fact reveal intimate details about a memory someone has in mind! If I could do a write up of all the techniques and ideas I picked up from this then it would be longer than this actual review because there are so many hidden principles and deceptions spread through out that you could apply to other routines that it makes my tiny little head spin. If you are looking to establish yourself as a credible mind reader with the ability to truly reveal memories in peoples mind then this is for you, thanks to Fraser and Pete for being generous enough to share this amazing piece of wonder that can generate some real legends in the right hands!

-Jakob
Hey guys,

I agree with all the above, ever since Fraser released the original MEMORIA, I have been performing it, and also tipped some of my work on it to some of you, including Fraser, but now with this new MAGICBOX release, there are lots of updates, where you can do this literally without having to write anything down, and Peter's touches on MEMORIA as well as the updated handlings in the book, take this release into miracle status, that you can create legends, as Pete says. I have been performing this new version ever since learning it from Fraser himself, and this is without a doubt something very strong that you can go out and perform, and reveal bits and pieces of info from your spectators as well as other information.

Cant go wrong with anything MAGICBOX and/or FRASER PARKER releases, get this now!
Thanks

Alex Alejandro
I have some pretty amazing news: I finally convinced Fraser to release “Memoria 2”!!!

It will include a completely new, purely propless method (that I helped to create) that completely removes playing cards from the equation and, as a kicker, allows you to reveal the participant’s star sign!

More info here:
www.fraserparker.co.uk/mamu.htm
Http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=642047&forum=218