(Close Window)
Topic: Roy Kueppers Query
Hello all

Long time lurker and now first time poster.

Back in early December I put in a custom order with Roy for a Uk currency OXF gimmick. I was aware and informed at the time of ordering that there could be a bit of a wait which I was/am totally okay with.
Up until very early April this year I would send an email every 6 weeks or so to just check what the state of play of the gimmick was and always got a prompt and polite reply. Since early April though I have had no reply at all. Knowing that Roy has an excellent reputation I think that this silence is not on purpose but either as a result of being extremely busy or my emails going to junk mail or being missed somehow.
In the last 2 months I have sent numerous emails from several different email addresses to try and get a response along with sending a twitter message.
I am hoping that posting on here might be a way of maybe getting in contact with Roy where twitter and email have failed.

As I put earlier in this post, I am not trying to say negative things about Roy as up until April everything was tip top as far as communication was concerned.
All I am trying to do is get in contact so I can get an update on the work I have paid for.

thanks in advance
He has a phone number on his web site...

http://www.roykueppers.com/contact.html
The problem is that I'm in the UK and the time difference and cost makes it difficult for me to phone
I remember the same thing happened with me - good communication at first, then little. In my case, that drop in communication was followed by my order arriving. So maybe that's a signal that he's finishing up and about to send.
I think my last contact back at the very beginning of April mentioned that he had started it. If he has sent it and it arrives I will of course let it be known on here. To be honest I hesitated posting on a forum such as this as it could easily look like a moan or easily turn in to one via some disgruntled chipped shouldered magician.
Getting a reply from Roy via here or email with an update or the delivery of the coin and this thread would hopefully disappear into obscurity
Funny, I came on this forum to post a topic titled "Where in the World is Roy Kueppers?" so when I saw this topic, I had a very good idea what it was going to be about.

I've placed an order over a month ago and I've not received any response although I've sent numerous emails like "just checking to see if you got my order".

Don't bother trying to call his phone number. It only goes in to voice mail, and you won't get a response from that either.

He has a Twitter account here: https://twitter.com/RoyKueppers, maybe you can contact him there.
I've tried the twitter account. No tweets since 3rd May from Roy.

I do hope he's okay
My question is,
if I place an order with the high end coin men, and they do not get back, I may assume
they are actually working on it so the can send it (as stated above). But what if they have passed into another realm,
where their coin tools and lathes cannot be taken. I might wait for years, hoping that they are "working" on it,
when actually, they might be helping to push lilies up from their grave. what a horror!

How can I or anyone else know the difference? I am scared to put in a prepaid order for this reason. I guess my hand made flipper coins
with duct tape (hey, it can come loose but don't break during demos will have to do). Also, my shell (which was made by pounding it on an anvil,
and diggin' it out with a chisel) will have to do. the pounding on the anvil was so much that it automatically made my Kennedy half SOFT--SO SOFT, THERE IS ALMOST NONE OF KENNEDY LEFT. But my, does it glide over other similar coinz. So until I get an answer, I will have to be happy. I only show my trix in a sports bar to people who have had at least three buzzes, so they don't know the difference between tricky coins and magic by that time. Plus, the lighting does wonderz for all kinds of undedetected pocket ditching.
Thanks for the help vampiro......I think???

So has anyone heard any Kueppers news?
Just thought I'd chip in. I placed an order well back in January for two shell sets and I also sent a flipper in for repair. As of late my emails regarding the status of the order and such were not replied . Lets hope we get some updates soon.
Like I said, if you already sent an email or two to high end stuck up coin men, then DON'T BOTHER THEM. WHY? Most likely:
1. they are "busy" with your order or out at the tavern, spending your money on booze and broads

or else:

2. they died and all your emails and calls won't get through to them anyways.

What gives? When there is bad--NO, TERRIBLE, NONEXISTENT customer service, STAY THE ___ AWAY.
[quote]
On 2013-05-24 14:25, vampiro wrote:
My question is,
if I place an order with the high end coin men, and they do not get back, I may assume
they are actually working on it so the can send it (as stated above). But what if they have passed into another realm,
where their coin tools and lathes cannot be taken. I might wait for years, hoping that they are "working" on it,
when actually, they might be helping to push lilies up from their grave. what a horror!

How can I or anyone else know the difference? I am scared to put in a prepaid order for this reason. I guess my hand made flipper coins
with duct tape (hey, it can come loose but don't break during demos will have to do). Also, my shell (which was made by pounding it on an anvil,
and diggin' it out with a chisel) will have to do. the pounding on the anvil was so much that it automatically made my Kennedy half SOFT--SO SOFT, THERE IS ALMOST NONE OF KENNEDY LEFT. But my, does it glide over other similar coinz. So until I get an answer, I will have to be happy. I only show my trix in a sports bar to people who have had at least three buzzes, so they don't know the difference between tricky coins and magic by that time. Plus, the lighting does wonderz for all kinds of undedetected pocket ditching.
[/quote]

It would be nice if you gave proper attribution to your last paragraph above. It is a direct paraphrase of some comical material I wrote on another thread. It sort of ****es me off big time. Is this the extent of your performance ability? Stealing stuff off a magic forum site?
Hi Al,
If you can, please limit your claims to copyrighted material. YOu are always trying to act superior or belittle people. I wrote this because I could sucker you in with it. childish thinking tends to yield childish behavior. I guess I am a true mentalist after all, and predicted your
5-year old reaction.
wishing you the best
[quote]
On 2013-05-27 21:11, vampiro wrote:
Hi Al,
If you can, please limit your claims to copyrighted material. YOu are always trying to act superior or belittle people. I wrote this because I could sucker you in with it. childish thinking tends to yield childish behavior. I guess I am a true mentalist after all, and predicted your
5-year old reaction.
wishing you the best
[/quote]

So... you admit you're a troll? And if you want to play the copyright card... please go to the bottom of this page and read the disclaimer... "All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2013 Steve Brooks." In actuality you a pilfering material that now belongs to this blog owner Steve Brooks. If you can't come up with something original, don't be using material owned by Steve Brooks. I have no need to belittle you in any sort of way... you are doing a fine job of that for yourself. You're far from a true mentalist... more like a true jerk.
I will say that while I have never placed an order with Kuepers or Schoolcraft, ordering from Todd Lassen was a pleasure and as easy as picking up the phone and calling him at about 9am. He always answered the phone and took care of each request I had. He completed my order for a Morgan [ set with remilled edges, matching c/s coin and copper coin with a copper [ with each gaff shimmed, about a month and a half after I had paid him.

Todd wasn't stuck up and has great customer service. I will never know anything about any of the other coin guys because I will only ever order from Todd.
I am pleased to report to this thread that I called Roy today, and He answered. I had a "semi-custom" order of Nesting Kennedy and Quarter Shim Shell sets that could not "point and click" order on the website. He said he would work up a price and call me back.
He called me with price and shipping in LESS THAN 10 MINUTES. Then we discussed Flipper options, pros and cons. I hung up and ordered through PayPal immediately. He gave me a tentative lead time of 2-3 weeks.
I got his email confirmation of receipt of my order and payment within the hour of my order. VERY VERY pleasant and patiently helpful gentleman.
I previously had sent an email asking the exact same information over a week ago, with no response to date. In an age where machines answer calls, and you don't know if the person filling your order even "cares" if it is accurate or complete; I find it both refreshing and encouraging that a business leans more toward the "personal" approach. My advice is to pick up the phone, and if you get no answer, try again!
This was my FIRST time ever calling Roy, and he answered and helped me like I was his next-door neighbor! I haven't ordered from the other custom coin guys, and I'm sure they are as great as I have read. I chose Roy for my order simply because I comparison priced what I wanted from ALL manufacturers side-by-side. Roy beat everyone (including Johnson) in price for what I was looking for.
I will report when my order is updated and or received to let everyone know how my experience went. Thus far? I am well pleased.
Hi Al,
It is obvious you have never produced anything worthy of a copyright. Brooks' copyright means nothing--did you go to school?
I don't mean middle school.
It is sad when someone makes some poor comments and someone like me improves on them, to where they are actually worth reading.
Then, the a guy who never did anything original in their life yells copy. ARe you on welfare? ARe you on disability?
Get a life, before your sorry keester is kicked off M.C. to improve the ambience here, by a lot.
[quote]
On 2013-05-30 21:31, vampiro wrote:
Hi Al,
It is obvious you have never produced anything worthy of a copyright. Brooks' copyright means nothing--did you go to school?
I don't mean middle school.
It is sad when someone makes some poor comments and someone like me improves on them, to where they are actually worth reading.
Then, the a guy who never did anything original in their life yells copy. ARe you on welfare? ARe you on disability?
Get a life, before your sorry keester is kicked off M.C. to improve the ambience here, by a lot.
[/quote]

Here... read this WHOLE website and get back to me when you've had stuff you've written produced, published and reviewed in Variety Magazine. http://newton.acrossthebow.com/ (right... I never had anything published... sure... yea... that's me)... You're starting to get annoying. Are you sure you're 49 years old?
I have called Roy and left messages and I have always gotten callbacks from him. Surprised me at first because I wasn’t sure who he was, and the return calls weren't necessarily the next day. But he did call me back every time.

It is no different for Roy than it is for the other well-known, respected custom coin-gaffers. They don’t run shops manned by large staffs, but for the most part do all the custom coin work personally. Roy has the added burden of making gaffs for several commercial coin effects which are sold by most online shops, like Cartel Coins and the Phlye coin sets, Platt's Blackout coins, and many others. (I say "burden" but I'm sure they are necessary for Roy to make a living!)

All in all Roy does as well as possible making commercial gaffs plus custom orders. This being pretty well-known in our relatively small community, it should not be a surprise that you might have to wait quite a while for any custom work. That said, Roy's communication of the preceding comments is lacking and he could do a better job in that regard.

Thanks for listening!

Jim
[quote]
On 2013-05-28 22:52, Gr8gorilla wrote:
I will say that while I have never placed an order with Kuepers or Schoolcraft, ordering from Todd Lassen was a pleasure and as easy as picking up the phone and calling him at about 9am. He always answered the phone and took care of each request I had. He completed my order for a Morgan [ set with remilled edges, matching c/s coin and copper coin with a copper [ with each gaff shimmed, about a month and a half after I had paid him.

Todd wasn't stuck up and has great customer service. I will never know anything about any of the other coin guys because I will only ever order from Todd.
[/quote]

Are you Todd himself in disguise to deliver such blatant BS on his commercial practice?
Are you talking of the same Todd Lassen personality that most of us have experienced here or are you telling us that this Todd Lassen has decided (at last) to embrass some form of modesty?
Lawrence,

I called Todd and told him what I wanted. He told me prices and I sent him some money. I called him and made some changes to my order along the way. We didn't talk about religion, other coin guys, or politics. We talked about his product and my purchase of it. I called him about 1 time each week after he said he would get my order out and he answered the phone, updated me on progress and I thanked him and hung up.

I am not sure how ordering from Todd went for anyone else but for me it was exactly as I described and what I expected from a custom craftsman. I suppose if you call him up and approach his ego (as in the psychological term) your experience may not be as pleasant as mine but from my experience that is the case with everyone.

Lawrence, I am not Todd Lassen. I am Shaun Sharpton. A street performer and magician. I know nothing of machining and stand a humble 5'11" with reddish brown hair. I am sorry that you have not had a pleasant experience dealing with Todd. Judging by the tone of your responses to a lot of people here on the Café I suspect this is a common occurrence in your social life.

I don't appreciate your attacking attitude in your above post. Why do you feel it necessary to be so rude because I simply relayed what my experience dealing with someone was? Just because it differed from yours doesn't make it false.
Well Shaun, I've had the same good experience dealing with Todd on probably 6 orders now.
Seriously what is up with everyone being so D@MNED RUDE to each other on here lately? Is it something in the coffee?
[quote]
On 2013-05-31 12:30, Lawrence O wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-05-28 22:52, Gr8gorilla wrote:

[/quote]

Are you Todd himself in disguise to deliver such blatant BS on his commercial practice?
Are you talking of the same Todd Lassen personality that most of us have experienced here or are you telling us that this Todd Lassen has decided (at last) to embrass some form of modesty?
[/quote]

Etienne, my experiences with Todd have also been very positive. I fail to see how it is blatant BS.

"...most of us have experienced here..."? Most of what I hear are the complaints about not replying to emails.
My experience with Todd have always been top notch.. The last was exceptionsl. I called Todd on a Tuesday and tol hime that I had a set of soft 1817 Britis Crowns that I wanted an expanded shell made. He quoted me a price the following week I sent all six of the coins out. On Saturday I got a cll from Todd telling me the coins were on there way. I received the package on that Wednesday, so from the time I sent the coins to the time I received a gorgeous expanded shell set less then 7 days had elapsed. What more can be said. No I am not Todd Lassen, I have never met him. My dealings with him over the past 8 years have always been terrific. PS with Todd's workmanship and the finish on the coins he produces I don't think he needs to be modest.
Hi Thetrickman ,
I got same problem as you , just placed and paid an order(around $800) over one month.
Roy doesn't response me anymore about the progress of his work or when can he send the gimmick to me after I paid.
But he does reply other inquires if you wanna buy or intesting on other of his product.
I think at least a good dealer should have a response to his customers(already paid) ,no matter how you busy on work and this is basic attitude.
In my opinion, nobody beats Lassen for workmanship...yes, I waited a while for the sets I ordered, but his skill and beauty of his work are second to none.
Not a shill, just a satisfied customer.
I am really at odds as to making a statement of dissatisfaction but I am starting to get a bit worries whether I will ever get the product I spent a lot of money on.
When ordered back in December I was made well aware (by email) that it would take some time but now, in June, with no communication since April after numerous attempts I must say that my faith in the testimonials of other magicians is slightly shaken.
Seems more and more sellers have plenty of time to take your money, but take a lot of time getting your items out.
[quote]
On 2013-06-02 18:03, TheTrickman wrote:
I am really at odds as to making a statement of dissatisfaction but I am starting to get a bit worries whether I will ever get the product I spent a lot of money on.
When ordered back in December I was made well aware (by email) that it would take some time but now, in June, with no communication since April after numerous attempts I must say that my faith in the testimonials of other magicians is slightly shaken.
[/quote]

The fact that Stephon Johnson was able to get in touch with Roy a couple of days ago leads me to conclude that your worry that you will never get your coins because of Roy's untimely death is ... premature. Long delays on special orders with our custom gaffers is not uncommon and I doubt that you will be successful in moving your order ahead of someone else by bugging, but if you are really concerned that your order has been lost in the shuffle, I would call Roy and remind him that you are patiently waiting and wanted to make sure you were not forgotten. He really is a nice guy to deal with.
Not only have I "been" able to contact Roy by phone; I literally just got off the phone with him about an hour ago. Roy gave me permission to repeat our conversation on this thread, and was appreciative that I would be willing to do so:
I asked Roy if he was a member of the Café and if he was aware of this thread or others like it. He said he is a member, but only comes on the site a couple time per year because he is just too busy. Customers waiting on orders would justifiably wonder why he had time to chat online anyway.
I conveyed some of the concerns that I've read here and Roy was genuinely concerned.
He said that his heart is very much in his product and his business. He only wants to provide the very best product and value for his customers. He hates hearing that anyone might feel he has taken their money and stiffed them in any way.
He has added new machinery and five workers to help out with various things and hopefully speed things up, but he cannot hire people to take orders or call customers because HE must be the person who PERSONALLY talks to the customer about their needs & questions. Since HE must be the person who makes the product, he cannot tie up valuable time on the phone (which I tried to make our call brief as well, I could feel you all poking me in the conscience for interrupting him! :D ).
Because of the highly specialized nature of his work (and methods), to apprentice someone in these highly guarded trade secrets and skills is creating his own future competition (not to mention, if someone else makes it, it's not made by Roy Kueppers)! And because he wants to give customers personal service, answer their questions and advise them on their choices; he cannot hire someone else to take orders or handle the phone. But he DOES try to answer the phone, and he tries to answer emails - but admits he is inundated with emails and cannot respond to all of them (and some emails don't even make it to his mailbox that people swear they've sent). He wanted everyone to know that he is working as hard as he can to get every order complete, but that some orders just take longer and there is only one Roy and so many hours in a day. But to please call if you have issues or questions.
He said although some schedule issues are just inherent to the business and custom nature of the product, he doesn't mean to categorize ALL of them as that. He knows that some issues are his and he is willing to admit that.
He admits that he doesn't go looking for feedback in the Café or other threads, because it is very discouraging. But he said that the positive feedback from customers definitely outweighs the negative.
The main thing he wanted everyone to know, is that he DOES CARE deeply about his product, his quality and your satisfaction!
I always try to use PayPal when placing an order. If after several weeks you cannot get a reply to questions about your order PayPal gives you a 45 day window to file a complaint. If PayPal cannot get hold of the seller or reach some kind of understanding you can get your money back. Don't let things go for months, four to six weeks is long enough. There is no excuse for not staying in touch with your clients. Its part of the job as well as just being common courtesy.
Thank you for that post Stephon, it is very much appreciated.

I originally went to Roy as I had heard his workmanship is excellent and when contacting him he did tell me up front the amount of time I could be expected to wait. None of this phased me what-so-ever. Getting a custom made prop for an effect is always going to take time and it is far better to have a well made item that you can rely on but takes time than an off the shelf number which isn't quite how you want it.
I am sure that when I get my order I will be very pleased with it. I just wish that the communication was present so I wouldn't have to worry that maybe my order had been lost or forgotten. A quick email saying "sorry it's been so long but I've been busy but your purchase will be ready in ....." every few weeks isn't too much to ask I wouldn't have thought.
@ TheTrickman: I agree it would be nice to get the occasional email. But I take into consideration that it is basically a "one man operation". Mass communication isn't feasible because every order is different. That being the case, every single customer would require a personally prepared message from Roy. Unless he could dictate the message to someone while continuing to work, it would only make lead times increase on orders.
As I see it, I'm glad Roy is willing to offer his talents to us "regular guys" at a reasonable price. He could sell exclusively to Pros and creators, and likely do quite well. But he is handcrafting something just for me! That's like being able to call up a brewery and custom order a beer to your own personal taste.
I'm biased, perhaps because I am an artist. I've done portraits and other commissioned work that are custom and one-of-a-kind. Although I have received plenty of appreciative responses over the years, there's always the occasional attitude of "wow! It cost that much?" or "gosh, I needed it this weekend. I didn't know it would take 3-weeks!"
Our "drive-thru" society has conditioned us to have no patience or delayed gratification. Everything is marketed to us as "get it now!", "own one today", "no waiting!", "ships next day!" And we have lost what it means to have something crafted by hand, with care, skill, love, pride in workmanship and precision.
I am ordering Roy, realizing the careful, one at a time craftsmanship I am getting. I don't expect the updates and such that I get from a big operation that pulls stock from a shelf and ships it same day. I KNOW it is an artisan, himself who is doing all this because he loves his work.
If I ever order from Lassen, Schoolcraft or similar artisans, I will expect the same.
Does I make me comfortable? Not really, because I'm conditioned to how I get everything else in life that I buy. But this is not the same.
I have only called Roy 3 times in the past month. He has answers EVERY time I've called. I would recommend calling if you want to know something about your order.
I called Roy this morning and he answered me on the phone that he still working on my gaffed coin and may ship out next week or later .
Yes, we should call him directly to get the update if eMail doesn't not works.
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 10:44, Stephon Johnson wrote:
Our "drive-thru" society has conditioned us to have no patience or delayed gratification...[W]e have lost what it means to have something crafted by hand, with care, skill, love, pride in workmanship and precision.
I am ordering [from] Roy, realizing the careful, one at a time craftsmanship I am getting. I don't expect the updates and such that I get from a big operation that pulls stock from a shelf and ships it same day. I KNOW it is an artisan, himself who is doing all this because he loves his work.
If I ever order from Lassen, Schoolcraft or similar artisans, I will expect the same.
[/quote]

Well put.
You can make excuses for artisans but the bottom line is they are running a business. Ignoring peoples emails for months is unacceptable. I realize that I'm the exception and not the norm but I have a hearing problem and CAN'T use the phone. I depend on emails. If your email address is on your website as a form of communication then *** it, communicate! If you can't do it, hire a temp!
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 13:29, wsgumby wrote:
You can make excuses for artisans but the bottom line is they are running a business. Ignoring peoples emails for months is unacceptable. I realize that I'm the exception and not the norm but I have a hearing problem and CAN'T use the phone. I depend on emails. If your email address is on your website as a form of communication then *** it, communicate! If you can't do it, hire a temp!
[/quote]

WS... you are not going to shake their resolve. Some folk just don't mind getting walked all over for the sake of being able to deal with "artists." I've gone round and round on this subject, only to find that some folk here warning me that my statements will eventually wind up appearing on one of these "Artists" blogs and I will be berated and ostracised just because I expect some level of customer service from a vendor.

My advice to you... do what I have started to do. If you have an interest in one of these products, let the Café members know about it on the for sale forums and/or wait until the item of your dreams show up for sale over in that forum. Bottom line... you get it cheaper, faster and hopefully with a smile from the Café seller.
I didn't realize my mild expletive would be unacceptable. I'll be more careful in the future.
@Al Desmond: Hey Al, I would LOVE to buy all my custom gaff coins from the Café forum...BUT SOME GUY named "AL" keeps buying all of them out from under me before I even see the listing!! (How do you do it man?? Do you carry a laptop around with you all day???) hahaha! Absolutely joking with you Al, I just couldn't resist!
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 14:11, Stephon Johnson wrote:
@Al Desmond: Hey Al, I would LOVE to buy all my custom gaff coins from the Café forum...BUT SOME GUY named "AL" keeps buying all of them out from under me before I even see the listing!! (How do you do it man?? Do you carry a laptop around with you all day???) hahaha! Absolutely joking with you Al, I just couldn't resist!
[/quote]

Google Glasses!!! Absolutely joking with you Stevo, I just couldn't resist!
Good advice Al, only 6 more posts to go. Do you think my posts would tick off Todd? Really? Oh well, if I wind up on his blog I will accept it proudly as a protest against artists who believe their reputation exempts them from decent customer service.
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 14:11, Stephon Johnson wrote:
[/quote]

Seriously. I work as a contract programmer, from home, in my secret mountain lair in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. I don't have cable broadband, but I do have fiber optics to a breakout box about 3/4 of a mile from here and from there a high speed DSL line (40mps/5mps). So... I'm online all day long. It's easy to keep a few tabs open to the Café. We can't get broadcast TV up here... all my video entertainment is by DVD or NetFlix (TV is wired to the network). I even get all of my broadcast radio over a few Internet radios scattered around the house.

I'm totally, 100% dependent on the internet for work, relaxation and information. (although work has SLOWED down a bit... I may have to go back to the supermarket working a cash register again. Don't turn 60... you're 40 years of experience at something won't be worth twiddle).
Really, I suppose in this kind situation I would just like to know what to expect. "It is hard to be disappointed when expectations are met" is an old saying I have kind of adopted.

Its hard, though, because a new customer often doesn't know what to expect, and often the artist doesn't like the prospect of bringing it up (customer may change mind). I'm being general here, not speaking of anyone in particular.

As gaffers will (ideally) always have new customers, topics like this will keep appearing :) Most of the time it seems that all works out and everyone is relatively happy at the end.
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 14:47, Chessmann wrote:
Really, I suppose in this kind situation I would just like to know what to expect. "It is hard to be disappointed when expectations are met" is an old saying I have kind of adopted.

Its hard, though, because a new customer often doesn't know what to expect, and often the artist doesn't like the prospect of bringing it up (customer may change mind). I'm being general here, not speaking of anyone in particular.

As gaffers will (ideally) always have new customers, topics like this will keep appearing :) Most of the time it seems that all works out and everyone is relatively happy at the end.
[/quote]

As soon as the "artist" gaffers stop taking on more work than they can produce... topics like this will keep disappear.
What - refuse business? :)
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 15:26, Chessmann wrote:
[/quote]

Yea... it's called good customer service... you don't promise something you can't deliver in a timely manner. Look... I'm not going to keep arguing this point with anyone. If these simple concepts about customer service and honest business practices are too difficult for any grown person to understand, then I'm not going to be able to change your mind at this point.

Nor can I change the bad business practices of "artists."
I promised to report back when my order arrived from Roy; and I am pleased to report that I received them July 1st. I was notified by PayPal that they shipped on June 27, so Roy took exactly as long as he stated when I called him for an estimate. That is even with adding something to my order several days after placing it. The coins are awesome, were packaged very well and had a letter of thanks and a business card included.
I agree that communication could be better, based on why we are accustomed to in other areas of our lives. But I never had a problem reaching Roy by phone, and he delivered exactly what & when he promised.
I will buy more from Roy!
Stephon
I had this issue as well. I ordered from Roy and the e-mail responses were very prompt, and he was able to answer all of my questions. I was quoted a price and told the time would be about a month or month and a half. After about a month, I couldn't contact him for quite a while, and it was almost 2 and a half months before I got in touch. another month after that I finally got my coins. However, Roy had told me when I got a hold of him again that he was very busy and explained it would take additional time. While I wasn't happy with having to wait almost three months longer, this was mostly due to my impatience for the coins, so I waited. When I did get them, they were perfect. Exactly what I'd ordered and beautifully constructed. When he said precision I realized he meant it! Overall I was still happy with his service, despite the wait. Honestly my only complaint was the big difference in the time I had to wait versus the time I was told I'd have to wait. But now that I know what to expect, it's no big deal for me, and I'll use him again should the need arise.
We're the coins you ordered custom or straight off the website offerings?
[quote]
On 2013-07-07 20:40, Stephon Johnson wrote:
We're the coins you ordered custom or straight off the website offerings?
[/quote]

They were straight off the website list.
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 16:31, Al Desmond wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-04 15:26, Chessmann wrote:
[/quote]

Yea... it's called good customer service... you don't promise something you can't deliver in a timely manner. Look... I'm not going to keep arguing this point with anyone. If these simple concepts about customer service and honest business practices are too difficult for any grown person to understand, then I'm not going to be able to change your mind at this point.

Nor can I change the bad business practices of "artists."
[/quote]

One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say. I've made one custom order, the estimated turnaround was given as a ballpark figure, and I received the coins within that timeframe. I didn't need to be emailed about it, why should I? Then again, I can also wipe my own bottom and cook my own dinner.
At the same time!?!? Just kidding. . .

I ordered a Lethal Tender from Roy. Was promised it in 10 days and it was received in nine. Simply my experience!

Jorey
[quote] One man's meat is another man's poison, as they say. I've made one custom order, the estimated turnaround was given as a ballpark figure, and I received the coins within that timeframe. I didn't need to be emailed about it, why should I? Then again, I can also wipe my own bottom and cook my own dinner.
[/quote]

At the same time!?!? Just kidding. . .

I ordered a Lethal Tender From Roy and it was promised in ten days. I arrived in nine. . .just my experience.

Jorey
Well, I'm still waiting on both my order and a reply. 8 Months and counting since I placed the order
@TheTrickman: What, specifically does your order consist of? Also have you spoken to Roy by phone, and if so, how recently?
I sent some coins to Roy for a repair job. Evidently, they never arrived.
When I emailed Roy inquiring about their arrival, he would always respond promptly.

But the coins never did get to him. Another bummer about shipping to Canada, its way to expensive to pay for tracking.

I guess they are lost.
You don't have/need to pay for tracking between the USA and canada. You use the International bar code shipping number from you package on the USPS tracking page. canada and US postal tracking is automatically included. It's been this way for over 2yrs.
We've had packages take as long as 21 days to get to Canada, and we received one returned back 8months later, having never been delivered to canada. It just got to the canadian PO and sat undelivered, never picked up by the addressee.
I have always been able to call Roy
and get a hold of him.If we can spend big bucks
for coins we should also be able to spend a little
for a long distance call too.
Todd
Bowers,
I think that's a really good way to look at it. I've always hesitated to call Jamie and Todd for the cost of long distance, but you're right; if I'm looking to spend a bunch of money on coins, why not a few bucks on a call to make sure it goes as I hope!

Andrew
[quote]
On 2013-07-14 01:39, TheTrickman wrote:
Well, I'm still waiting on both my order and a reply. 8 Months and counting since I placed the order
[/quote]
That, in ANYONE'S language these days, is unacceptable.

Yes, you can justify custom-made orders taking time. What you CANNOT justify is a business ignoring a raft of emails from a customer; particularly a customer that has had the fair-mindedness to pay you up front, whilst demonstrating the patience of a saint for eight months!

I had to chuckle earlier when it was hinted that Roy was genuinely concerned about his customer's dissatisfaction, negative feedback, etc. Sorry, maybe I'm getting really cynical in my old age, but this sounds about as convincing as the drivel you hear from call centres; when the recorded message states "your call is very important to us - you are 96th in the queue and will be answered in three hours".

Maybe some of you guys could PM TheTrickman and get more details of his order? Then, as Mr. Kueppers apparently has enough time to pick up the phone and chat (albeit insufficient time to type a one sentence email as he's 'too busy') maybe a couple of you guys the other side of the pond could get the ball rolling? I'm sure that it would be well appreciated.

As for the price of a phone call - phones work both ways still, don't they? Why should The Trickman incur the additional expense?
I have had great success with several of the top gaffers. I particular I use the phone as I am aware of how much work it is to deal with a high volume of e-mails. I have three stories that I will share with you.

Going back a couple of years ago I sent 5 Australian Kangaroo pennies to TL to have an X[ made. I was not in a rush. I had discussed it on the phone. about four months after placing the order I ran into some financial problems and called TL to cancel the order. About a two weeks later he sent me the shell. He called me and said don't worry, when you get back on your feet you can pay me. Six months later I was back on my feet and called TL and asked what do I owe. He told me that he had already forgotten about it and so should I.

About a mounth ago I found six 1817 Half Crowns. I called TL I aske d fo a price to make an X[ and satisfied with the price sent them to him. He called me when they arrived . 3 days later he calle dto tell me that the shell was completed and that he remilled the remaining 5 coins, same price. I received a perfect set 3 days later.

I use to live about 30 minutes from JS. I had purchased a flipper which developed a problem with the insert. Call JS met him for lunch and swapped the bad one for a new one.

I am a real pain when dealing with people and I am not a volume client and there is no special relationship. I just communicate the way that the want and understand that it is the nature of the business, not what I think it should be that counts.
@MercMan: I asked "TheTrickMan" what his order consisted of and if he had called Roy. Both are valid questions that relate to this situation. IF I am going to call Roy on his behalf, I should at least know what he has on order. I would think an 8 month delay would have to be a highly custom nature. My order was custom in nature, and still the order was 3-4 weeks when quoted and actually shipped. I would be glad to call Roy on his behalf.
Stephon, you are a dude.
Hello

I wouldn't ask anyone to call on my behalf....It sounds like I am too lazy to pick up the phone. The last couple of weeks at least I've been moving house and haven't had a phone, I also work most evenings (in the uk) so cannot phone then. Not sure Roy would appreciate a call at 4am local time to him, but I also don't particularly wish to phone long distance and incur a further cost.

The coin gaff in question is a £2 OXF coin which I ordered and paid up front for at the end of November/early December.

I made my original order via email which was answered very swiftly so one would imagine using the same process to query that order would be a good method
[quote]
On 2013-07-16 07:41, TheTrickman wrote:
I made my original order via email which was answered very swiftly so one would imagine using the same process to query that order would be a good method
[/quote]
Clearly, it failed to be a good method mate once your dosh was in his bank account. ;)

As mentioned above, one or two of the guys on this excellent forum may be able to get the ball rolling on your behalf if they are PM'd sufficient details (as Stephon has kindly indicated above).

Also, just another point. He will need to know your NEW address - in the event of your order ever being dispatched.
There is currently an issue in Toronto with non-responsiveness from Roy regarding significant delays on prepaid orders.

I will post once there is any sign of responsiveness.

Take care all.
Blimey - this don't look good.

Any news yet?
I had issues in the past with this manufacturer that was solved thanks to PayPal.
I have the same problems getting delivery from Roy. Order from December not arrived. The first order was 8 month getting delivered and that should have stopped me from ordering again, but I did. I can only say, don’t make any prepaid ordering from him, or don’t make any ordering from him at all.
A quick update.

I sent one more email to Roy and got a reply. According to his records my order has already been shipped. He is going to get back to me with dates etc. It seems it either has got lost in the post or is on its way.

On the Paypal dispute front people have mentioned it seems there is a time limit of a month (give or take a few days) to take up a dispute.

I may see my prepaid £2 OXF coin set yet......maybe
Hi TheTrickman

Got the same message that the orde had been posted but he would get back to me. Never heard from him since. I will try to get tracking number or other documentation from Roy that the order has been sent. I have seen his products being sold from large websites so maybe he is trying to fulfill orders from those rather than small orders compared to those websites orders. Hope you get something back from Roy.
Gawd Blimey - it's a few years since I've heard of anyone being fed "the cheque is in the post.......honest Guvnor" line!

Call me cynical, but we are not talking about Amazon Worldwide Distribution here. We are talking about a one man band - who surely must have his dispatch documents pretty readily to hand? And if he has now replied to two customers with 'missing packages', then surely it would have only taken minimal time and effort to provide the necessary dispatch details at the time of response?

As I say, maybe I'm just a cynical old git; but if I'm honest, I think he's talking out his ars* and stalling. For all those people waiting on their orders, I truly hope that I'm wrong. :(
Not to mention coins sent for repair by taller8 were also lost.
This isn't filling me with confidence regarding getting (preferably) my coin gaff or a refund.
Roy is answering his phone this morning at the number on his website.

I have been told this morning as others were above - product must have been lost by postal service and my inquiries must be landing in a spam filter.

I will be happy to post a positive message in this thread once the replacement product arrives.

Thanks and good luck.
[quote]
I will be happy to post a positive message in this thread once the replacement product arrives.
[/quote]

Got my item today. No outstanding concern here.
I don't know what his volume of business is compared to coin gaffers, but I have to say that Brett Sherwood should also be considered an "artist" and he kept me in the loop every step of the way in reference to the cups I ordered from him. If you've got someone's money, you need to make the time to send out a quick update every once and awhile, especially if it's been months and months. One email a week, just a simple "this is where I'm at in the process" should be sufficient, even if you have no news to report (though that shouldn't be a habit...if you spend a month saying "I have no news on your product" then you're accepting more business than you should.)

If you've got my money but I don't yet have what I paid for, I deserve to updated. I can wait the extra 30 seconds for my order to get an email giving me the status of things. Simple as that.
My order placed at the end of April and still not received till today , sent several email to Roy but no reply...Really disappoint
The order is approximately 900 US dollars and I think this is not small deal.
I also tried to call Roy directly and he answered my phone only once.
Anyway it's really not good experience to deal with him.
Not sure what country you're from but you might want to try to make a complaint to officials. In the US
you'd probably start with the Post Office.
Another update. Heard from Roy last week saying it seems the coin I ordered got lost in the post. I sent an immediate reply to ask whether he will make another (as long as the time frame isn't another 8 months) or provide me with a refund.
After a few days of silence I sent another email.

I continue to wait.
Very disappointing. This many "lost in the mail" stories is hard to fathom.
Oh my...
Is any one have been refunded from Roy?
I think roy is out on a break for a little, at least that's what he said last week.
[quote]
This many "lost in the mail" stories is hard to fathom.
[/quote]

He also indicated my original package was lost in the mail. I also live in Ontario, Canada and have had a lucky life. His losses in transit to customers have been infinintely more than mine.

But once I got him on the phone, he made good. That seems to be the key. Good luck.
Does anyone know Roy use registered mail or unregistered mail to send coins?
I would think, if your purchase was as stated above, approximately $900, he would have at least insurance and tracking.
Last Wednesday, Roy replied me he has sent my coin over one week , but I still not received.
As my experienxe on EBAY ,I can get my item less than 6 days by USPS registered mail.
I have asked him but no reply , I think that is because he attend the Magiclive in Vegas this week..
Maybe Roy is getting all romantic on me?...I'm now hoping that I might get the coin I ordered on the 1 year anniversary I made the initial order. Only a few months to December. I hold out hope with regards to human nature that I'll get my product or a refund one day
I made a deal 2 weeks ago with Roy, after I got a reply from him. He will make another package and will send it with tracking, as long as I would pay for the deliverance of it. OK deal I think if I can get me order.
Now I am all excided, but history puts a little damper on me.
I will get back with news.
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 10:22, TheTrickman wrote:
Maybe Roy is getting all romantic on me?...I'm now hoping that I might get the coin I ordered on the 1 year anniversary I made the initial order. Only a few months to December. I hold out hope with regards to human nature that I'll get my product or a refund one day
[/quote]
December? I think you'll be getting an Easter Egg first.

Why doesn't the 'Canadian Charlatan' come on here and answer his ever-increasing raft of doubters?

I wonder why - apparently, he's really disappointed about the negative comments he gets on this forum. :nana:
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 10:14, attken wrote:
Last Wednesday, Roy replied me he has sent my coin over one week , but I still not received.
As my experienxe on EBAY ,I can get my item less than 6 days by USPS registered mail.
I have asked him but no reply , I think that is because he attend the Magiclive in Vegas this week..
[/quote]
He told me that he had shipped my order couple weeks ago but I still receive nothing.
I will send him an email again next week.
[quote]
On 2013-08-14 07:34, martinlaw89 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-12 10:14, attken wrote:
[/quote]
He told me that he had shipped my order couple weeks ago but I still receive nothing.
I will send him an email again next week.
[/quote]
wow I have a similar story here ...
ordered from roy 4 months ago,and when I ask the status of my order last month, he said that it already shipped ...and I still receive nothing ... for comparison lassen sent me my order last week and yesterday I received it ...
I'm no exception. Roy informed that my order was shipped on July 31 but nothing showed up so far. Canada Post tracking system even indicates that no item was received for processing after the electronic shipping label was created. Should I believe that Canada Post is rather unreliable or what??
I've had some great experience so far with Roy Kueppers, I ordered two OxF sets (includes a flipper, 1 expanded shell, 1 non expanded shell, 2 regular copper silvers and 1 shaved down copper silver) in Morgan dollars and Walking Liberty halves. It took him a bit to make the coins because he was out of stock on the Morgan sized copper coins. But he shipped it right after he got the coins in stock. The coins were great, not as great as Lassen's or Schoolcraft's work, but still decent. However, there were also a few items missing from my order, so I'm currently trying to contact him with regards to that.
He tole me send email to him after he back to Home from Vegas , and I sent him two mails but still no reply...
Same here, I think he may be busy now, I'll try shooting him a second email some time soon. And I didn't know he was in vegas as well, was it for Magic Live?
Dentian, there were a few pieces missing? And the work wasn't that great? That doesn't add up to a great experience, in my book. More like crud. Going by this thread, why would anybody order from this guy?
Tomsk, the coins were great for the price I payed, which was less than that of Lassen or Schoolcraft. And the set was just missing a few regular coins ( 3 walking liberties, morgans, english pennies and rupees). Roy is a great guy, but he can get busy with his commercial stuff line on top of the custom works. I've ordered from him twice so far, but I've heard he's best with his split coins and his new karate coins are great as well
That's good to know! This thread does not inspire confidence, however.
I know everyones problems with roy are valid here.
But I have ordered from him numerous times and never had
a problem.Sure I have had to wait some long periods for
some of my coins.But he has always come through for me.
I hope all who have had some problems will have them resolved before long.
Todd
Just called Roy and he told me he has sent my coins 3 weeks ago (by un-registered mail..).
I am curious how long the shipping period will be taken from Canada to ASIA (HongKong) ....
Attken, what mailing service did he use? I know for Asian (im in Beijing), the most effective option would be USPS in my experience.
Can't imagine why he'd send custom coin orders with no tracking or insurance. The numerous reports of
packages being ship and so many not receiving them is odd, as is the guy that sent coins in for repair and
that package was lost. Not a good track record for the custom business.
How does insurance usually work with shipping? I've never actually used insurance on parcels before.
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 11:28, Dentian wrote:
Attken, what mailing service did he use? I know for Asian (im in Beijing), the most effective option would be USPS in my experience.
[/quote]

Roy is in Canada.
[quote]
[/quote]
I don't know what kind of mailing sevice he use , he didn't reply me directly with my question about why didn't he use registered mail.
I believe that is because he want to saving his cost.
(But he never talk about this before and after I paid , I believe using registered mail for valuable item is common sense)
[quote]
On 2013-08-21 22:49, attken wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
I don't know what kind of mailing sevice he use , he didn't reply me directly with my question about why didn't he use registered mail.
I believe that is because he want to saving his cost.
(But he never talk about this before and after I paid , I believe using registered mail for valuable item is common sense)
[/quote]

It is unfortunate that he would go for a cheaper shipping option just to save cost.. coin gaffers already earn a lot of money considering the variable cost of just the coins. I guess this didn't happen for me because I directly requested that he use USPS since the last time I ordered he used a cheaper option that took ages.
[quote]
On 2013-08-20 08:00, Brian H wrote:
I'm no exception. Roy informed that my order was shipped on July 31 but nothing showed up so far. Canada Post tracking system even indicates that no item was received for processing after the electronic shipping label was created. Should I believe that Canada Post is rather unreliable or what??
[/quote]
No. You should believe that it hasn't even been posted mate. Simple!

Along with, or so it appears, gawd knows how many other packages.
So the crux of all this is it is looking like my coin gaff is never gonna come and due to the paypal 45 day dispute rule my money is gone too.
I have been once again met with a maintained radio silence from Roy after another several attempts of contact.

After 15 years of buying magic this is the first time I have felt utterly ripped off and at the date of writing this seem to have been. He has had my money since December and I have had no product, no refund or no contact with regards as to whether I will get either.

Going back to my initial post I wasn't looking to write anything truly negative about a fellow magician but just wanted some information about getting the gaff I paid for and a way to get in contact with the seller so it could be sorted. 9 months after the initial order and countless attempts to contact Roy I have to say I am really appalled at the neglect that seems to have been directed at my custom.

Obviously I have no idea whether this is purely accidental on Roy's part or a one off series of mistakes. I am certainly NOT accusing anyone of purposely trying to con me. This post is my outlook on the experience of a business transaction gone very badly.

I still remain hopeful that human nature will prevail and that either a refund comes or the gaff I still really want arrives....fingers crossed
Hi Trickman,
I know how your feel because I paid over $800 to Roy at the end of April and not receive my coins till now.
I call him last week and yesterday, his response in phone are very passive.
We should "keep reminding" others who might be interested in his coins on this fourm and other fourm !!
Seems convenient not to ship orders with tracking. Attken you should contact someone in Canada. At least you have proof that
you paid him the money. He'd probably have to provide proof he sent it.
Yes, I dare say the Canadian police would regard it as fraud. If the sums involved are in the region of hundreds of dollars, well then...
I have all records that paid to Roy on my PAYPAL account but I don't have friend lives in Canada.
How can I do if I want to get my money back ....?

Thanks
There are some pretty influential guys on this board.

I just wonder in this instance (and whilst recognising that certain Café Members may not want to set a precedence and start a debt-collecting career), if contact can be made with Roy via 'a name" to try and get these matters sorted?

This isn't a case of a trick costing 20 quid failing to arrive. We are talking, collectively, about literally hundreds of dollars here. What is the difference between what is happening to date, and actual fraud/theft? Fellow magicians have seemingly been ripped-off by someone who doesn't even provide the courtesy of a response. Just how much longer can this be allowed to go on?

If the guy had ceased trading, then maters would be in the hands of loss adjusters. However, to the best of my knowledge, this guy is STILL in business. How many other magicians are having their hard-earned money taken without goods being supplied? If some of the unfortunate people on this thread are anything to go by, this is only the tip of the iceberg. How many people are in a similar position but don't even use this forum?

Sorry, but this really does need highlighting across the entire magic community.

It's just so totally wrong.

Can anyone on The Café support these guys to get this matter sorted out? :(
I seem to remember seeing a post indicating that Roy was recently having personal/medical problems. Does anyone know Roy who can contact him and get an update here? I don't think it's a Hank Lee situation, but perhaps someone can get hold of Roy and help him communicate here. I have emailed him in the past when this issue last came up and he seems to be a "pleaser" - always trying to promise too much that he can't deliver. If he's ill or hurting we need to be helping him, but we can't very well do that if no one knows if he needs help. Anyone know him personally?
I believe he was recently in Vegas for Magic Live; maybe someone caught up
with him there?
Attken, I'm sure the Canadian Postal Service must have a web site as well as some police departments. It'll take some work if you want your money back.
Maybe even Paypal would help if you explain what's going on.
Luckily, I received my order 2 days ago.
Last week, Roy asked me if I want a tracking number with extra $40. I said yes.
Although he didn't give me the tracking number, I received my order finally.
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 08:39, tomsk192 wrote:
I believe he was recently in Vegas for Magic Live; maybe someone caught up with him there?
[/quote]
You beat me to it mate.

Just to add that he looked perfectly fine in Vegas; and appeared to trading at a stand.

Maybe these 'personal problems' are just an intermittent kind of thing; coming to the fore whenever someone tries to get what they have paid him for.

Don't be so bleedin gullible guys!
I'm glad that my order arrived on last weekend, although some coins that I ordered are missing. Not the happy ending yet, but at least I have some coins to play with now. I talked to Roy on the phone and made other deal with him in order to resolve the missing item issue as refund apparently is not his preference. I guess it will still take some extra time to put the whole transaction to the end.
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 10:50, Brian H wrote:
I'm glad that my order arrived on last weekend, although some coins that I ordered are missing. Not the happy ending yet, but at least I have some coins to play with now. I talked to Roy on the phone and made other deal with him in order to resolve the missing item issue as refund apparently is not his preference. I guess it will still take some extra time to put the whole transaction to the end.
[/quote]
Hi Brian ,
May I know is your parcel using un-registered or registered mail ?
And where you live ?
These info can let me estimate how long I can get my coins if I am lucky ...
[quote]
Quote:

On 2013-08-29 08:39, tomsk192 wrote:
I believe he was recently in Vegas for Magic Live; maybe someone caught up with him there?

You beat me to it mate.

Just to add that he looked perfectly fine in Vegas; and appeared to trading at a stand.

Maybe these 'personal problems' are just an intermittent kind of thing; coming to the fore whenever someone tries to get what they have paid him for.

Don't be so bleedin gullible guys!
Barry Allen
[/quote]

This is the second long thread dealing with problems in receiving orders from Roy in the past two or three years. I believe the first thread ended with Roy coming on here and apologizing and making things right for the complaining customers, albeit with significant delays in delivery. This thread is more serious because there are allegations suggesting dishonesty, not just tardiness. In the age of Hank Lee, I think we are all taking that sort of thing more seriously than used to be the case. The fact that Roy attended a once in two years major convention and attempted to look normal doesn't necessarily mean that Roy is not suffering from some serious medical or personal problem, but regardless I think that this has reached a point where some explanations (and plan for reimbursement or delivery of orders) need to be posted here before negative reputation begins to harden. I hate to see something bad happen to a quality custom gaffer, but if no explanations are forthcoming, this thread may result in a permanent stain on Roy's reputation. Hopefully Roy has a friend that can let him know how important it is to carefully read this thread and meaningfully respond. Personally, without some explanation, I would be reluctant to put in an order with Roy just now.

Alan
I certainly agree that this thread would dissuade me from ordering anything whatsoever from this Canadian gentleman, be it an $800 coin set or a stick of chewing gum.

martinlaw89 relates that his coins finally arrived. What's astounding is that in martinlaw89's first post, Mr Kuepper had told him the coins had been sent; but in the second post, Mr Kuepper offers Tracking for a further $40, several weeks later. Clearly the coins had not been sent in the first place.

Amazing. But not in a magical way.
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 10:05, martinlaw89 wrote:
Luckily, I received my order 2 days ago.
Last week, Roy asked me if I want a tracking number with extra $40. I said yes.
Although he didn't give me the tracking number, I received my order finally.
[/quote]
$40 for a tracking number is really ridiculous expensive , I remember I purchased TTGF from Todd Lassen he ask me to put insurance+tracking on my parcel , and it's just $40!
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 11:02, attken wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 10:50, Brian H wrote:
[/quote]
Hi Brian ,
May I know is your parcel using un-registered or registered mail ?
And where you live ?
These info can let me estimate how long I can get my coins if I am lucky ...
[/quote]

Attken, my order was sent by un-registered mail to Taiwan. Good luck on yours.
Thank you Brian .
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 11:24, tomsk192 wrote:
I certainly agree that this thread would dissuade me from ordering anything whatsoever from this Canadian gentleman, be it an $800 coin set or a stick of chewing gum.

martinlaw89 relates that his coins finally arrived. What's astounding is that in martinlaw89's first post, Mr Kuepper had told him the coins had been sent; but in the second post, Mr Kuepper offers Tracking for a further $40, several weeks later. Clearly the coins had not been sent in the first place.

[/quote]
Yes. Maybe he replies "Your order shipped a couple weeks ago" to everyone.
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 11:24, tomsk192 wrote:

[/quote]
This is an odd place to get in one of my first posts but I'll chime in as well.
Tomsk192, I was having the same reservations after reading through this thread. I have dealt with Roy in the past with no issues but bought most of my coins through a local shop. There were a few things that I wanted in Canadian coins and Roy was the place to go. I phoned Roy directly and had no problem getting him. I felt it necessary to make him aware of his tarnished reputation and he sounded truly sincere in his intentions to improve his customer service. I was comfortable enough after speaking with him to place an order for the coins I wanted. He said he is working towards a 4 week maximum delivery time for all customers. Being in Canada, I don't expect the deliver issues some of you have indicated but I will report back on how this whole transaction completes.

Randy
Me again,

Just a quick update. I have been in contact with Roy myself and my initial complaint is being dealt with. I am skeptically hopeful that my particular problem will be sorted out soon and with a great gimmicked coin I have been waiting to get hold of for some time. I am always willing and strive to give people a chance to make things right and will let you all know if and when everything is sorted.
[quote]
On 2013-08-29 11:14, BanzaiMagic wrote:

This is the second long thread dealing with problems in receiving orders from Roy in the past two or three years. I believe the first thread ended with Roy coming on here and apologizing and making things right for the complaining customers, albeit with significant delays in delivery. This thread is more serious because there are allegations suggesting dishonesty, not just tardiness. In the age of Hank Lee, I think we are all taking that sort of thing more seriously than used to be the case. The fact that Roy attended a once in two years major convention and attempted to look normal doesn't necessarily mean that Roy is not suffering from some serious medical or personal problem, but regardless I think that this has reached a point where some explanations (and plan for reimbursement or delivery of orders) need to be posted here before negative reputation begins to harden. I hate to see something bad happen to a quality custom gaffer, but if no explanations are forthcoming, this thread may result in a permanent stain on Roy's reputation. Hopefully Roy has a friend that can let him know how important it is to carefully read this thread and meaningfully respond. Personally, without some explanation, I would be reluctant to put in an order with Roy just now.

Alan
[/quote]

Alan,

I'm afraid that the "permanent stain" you mentioned is already in place and set. After this thread, along with the last big one and a few smaller ones, I wouldn’t order anything from Roy again. Sorry but this is just bad, bad business. The delays are bad enough on their own, but the almost total lack of any communication about the delays ices it for me. Oh, and the fact that he doesn’t even ship his not-so-inexpensive products with insurance or even tracking is simply outrageous.

Jim
Hello Everyone, I was just made aware of this thread and after reading the recent posts feel that a reply is needed. The truth of the matter is that I am serving thousands of Magicians world wide directly each year and tens of thousands indirectly thru Dealers, Distributors and other Magicians that I produce their props for. What I'm getting at is that although this thread insinuates that I am a thief, I can assure you that that is not the case. I am aware that their are several individuals who have not received recent orders. There are several reasons for this but none are in any way an attempt to steal from anyone.

When a package is shipped and does not arrive, I will always offer to reship or refund payment. When I say that an order was shipped, it really was. The fact that it does not arrive does not mean that I did not ship it. This can happen even if the package has tracking however that is the only time that I have proof so prefer the customer to request tracking. I understand that you put your trust in me when you place your orders and respect that. If your package was shipped with tracking and does not arrive, I will always take the loss and reship or refund your money. Shipping costs with tracking varies depending on what country I'm shipping to as well as the method of shipping. I am happy to quote various shipping options and costs when requested. It is difficult for me to set standard shipping guidelines because many of you have specific preferences but I am looking at better ways to do this.

I am currently shipping approx 20 to 30 packages a week to individuals like yourselves not including what I ship to Dealers etc. this means that although their are approx 1 dozen or so of you on the Café right now that are dissatisfied with the service right now, 99.9 % are Receiving their orders in a timely manner and very satisfied. I know this because I receive emails regularly from these satisfied customers. Its unfortunate for me that the Café is a place where the customers with bad experiences can post such negative assumptions in an attempt to ruin my reputation. However, I do agree with some of the complaints and in some cases would also be very
concerned with my order. I am not happy that anyone is disappointed with my service so I want to address each one individually. To those of you who have not received your order in over 4 weeks from date of purchase, please email me and I will resolve these issues as promptly as possible to your satisfaction. If I do not reply to your email within 24 hours, please leave me a phone message.

I am making serious changes in how I handle shipping and turnaround times and in the next couple months I will be able to Guarantee my customers accurate shipping dates which will range from 1 day to 4 week maximum unless stated otherwise at time of order. The only issue that could arise is me not having specific requested coins and may have to source them to complete the order. I will update you in these specific custom situations within 2 days so that you are not left hanging. Canada post is finally addressing many of their internal issues and are now adding Tracked package options to the PayPal shipping site which is where I now schedule most of my Internet sales shipments.

I want all of you to know that I take what I do for you very serious and have a passion for what I do that runs deeper than any of you will ever know. I know that I need to make changes in some areas to provide a better service and am more than willing to improve my services in whatever ways needed.

Sincerely,
Roy Kueppers
Edit
[quote]On 2013-08-30 14:48, mysta-magic wrote:

this thread insinuates that I am a thief
[/quote]
Roy,
To the contrary, I don't think this thread insinuates any such thing. The vast majority of the voices on this thread are more than wiling to give you the benefit of the doubt, and I, for one, never assumed that the complaints found here exemplified anything more than communication problems, delays in production, and possibly difficulties with shipping services. In fact, as you know, I have offered my services to you in the past without request for remuneration to assist you in crafting a policy statement that would give confidence to your customers whose orders may be unavoidably delayed that they will not be forgotten and that their orders will eventually be filled. If customers know of your business practices and are willing to accept a (perhaps long) wait to receive their order then all should be fine so long as the remainder of your business practices are rock solid.

For example, from many years of dealing with Todd Lassen, I have absolute confidence that I will eventually receive my order, absent postal issues. In addition, Todd has made quite clear that in order to make shipping reasonable, he in no way accepts responsibility for mislaid mail and that insurance is the responsibility of the customer. If they want it, they pay for it. I find all of Todd's business practices, including delays, to be acceptable to me, especially considering Todd's purported generous habit of including extras with orders that are particularly delayed.

If your normal business practices require your customers to trust you by paying you long before their order is fulfilled and give up charge back or Paypal buyers protections they might have, then your remaining business practices must be scrupulously consistent with that trust.

[quote]
Its unfortunate for me that the Café is a place where the customers with bad experiences can post such negative assumptions in an attempt to ruin my reputation. However, I do agree with some of the complaints and in some cases would also be very concerned with my order.
[/quote]

Fortunate or unfortunate, the Internet is here and it is not going anywhere any time soon. Following this thread, I find no apparent malicious intent in any of the posts and I am personally thankful for Internet forums like the Magic Café both for positive tips as well as the warnings of problems in the magic community.

I suggest you use the Café as a resource to provide you with valuable customer feedback that you would not otherwise get and use that information to further refine your business policies. We all know that some people are not fair or reasonable to deal with and some complaints you may receive are evidence of a hidden agenda or of an attempt to take advantage of your good nature. It happens. However, here on the Café, those things tend to get somewhat sorted out. Frequent troublemakers are identified. Unreasonable expectations are criticized. Many of the posts here contain thoughtful analysis that you might use as a sort of ethics board as to what is reasonable and ethical and what is not. Far from ruining your reputation, I think you should look on this thread as an opportunity to engage the magic community and preserve or perhaps enhance your reputation. If you are having problems and want some understanding, try posting it here. If you want ideas, try asking for them here.

Thank you for posting. I think it's a good first step and I look forward to hearing from your customers that you have rectified their problems.

Regards,

Alan
The term 'Walt Disney Productions' spring instantly to mind.

However, the posters on this thread will be the first to tell us if it's reality; or more utter BS.

I won't even go into the major discrepancies between what Mr. Keuppers has stated within his rhetoric; as opposed to what purchases are stating on here.

P.S. Nice to learn that you are 'over' your apparent problems. ;)
Quite so. $800 orders, months old, still not fulfilled.

20 to 30 orders a day? Where does that come from? Who's getting those parcels?

Oh brother.
Roy has always asked me how I wanted my coins shipped.
I always ship ups with tracking and it goes from Canada
to North Carolina in 4 days.He has told me in the past that
some of his customers with expensive orders take the cheapest
shipping that is offered.Can't figure that out.
Todd
Some customers like me (adults) are believe that valuable items should be shipped by a appropriate way (at least ,like registered mail).
Because I believe this is common sense and at least you can have a number to tracking your items where it is.
Roy didn't ask me what kind of ship I want , he just charge me $25 for shipping , and I thought it should be registered mail by defalut.
As my experience dealing with Todd lassen and Schoolcraft , they always using registered mail and ask you to put insurance on it if the value over $500.
Roy,

You state "When a package is shipped and does not arrive, I will always offer to reship or refund payment."

This is rubbish! I ordered a Locking Sam from you and paid $120 after 12months and numerous emails that went unanswered I would then call, and get many conflicting stories.

I requested a refund sep 26th 2012 and just got a response I have sent it twice.

Well sir due to this I will never have dealings with you again, you need to learn a lot about customer service.
Just want to share my dealing experience with Schoolcraft yesterday, Roy's service Compares very poorly with Jamie Schoolcraft.

I emailed Jamie is there any in stock Flippers and he replied me YES quickly by eMail yesterday (and he took a picture for me) .
Then I ordered and paid $425 on his order system rightaway.
After two hours , I received an email about my items has been sent with a tracking number , and Jamie put a $100 insurance on it.

4 Months ago , I remember before I paid to Roy , he told me the gaffed coin is in stock and can be shipped out after I paid...
But it's not ture ..I am still waiting my coins.
I will never again will buy anything from this dealer.
I still think Roy is great! Im in the process of placing an order with him actually.
I believe Roy does great work but his business practices are extremely poor, and as a fellow business owner they make absolutely no sense to me.
I would like to give him the benefit of the doubt but I simply find it impossible to believe he is being truthful.
I very likely reply to more emails from customers in my business on a weekly basis, than he is required to in his, but I couldn't sleep blowing people off for months on end so I make the time.
A 20 second email to a few customers would have completely eliminated the existence of this entire thread, assuming he is being honest.
How could any legitimate business owner not find the time?
To be perfectly blunt, you are either dishonest or you're an idiot not to.
In either case, you only have yourself to blame.
Magicians in general are a pretty forgiving group as consumers. Try running a business in the real world with that kind of customer service. He'd be long gone.
Sorry, but that's just how it is. I cannot feel any sympathy for him in this case. He should feel extremely fortunate to still be busy.
I understand that magical is how Roy makes his living, but clearly he's got more than enough work to keep him busy, therefore there is no excuse for why he was at Magic Live. He should have been in his shop, making good on the orders he already needed to fulfill.

Why he doesn't automatically include insurance and tracking makes no sense, especially with orders this expensive. Including that not only protects and informs the buyer, it protects Roy. If he's shipping when he says he is, both parties can track the order. If it gets lost, insurance will make sure both Roy and the buyer are covered and no one loses any money.

When I was a college student trying to earn some extra money, I helped a friend sell on eBay. We ALWAYS shipped with tracking information, no exceptions, and sometimes those were for purchases that were only 15 or 20 bucks. It's just common sense when you're doing this for a living.
I have so many replies to the posts I'm reading but I'm not sure that it would make a difference to many of you that already have your opinions of me. But that has to be okay because all I can do is keep moving forward and improve on customer service and delivery times that are my downfalls. Right now I am going thru my orders shipped and unshipped over the past 12 months to see what I can find in regards to what has shipped or not shipped and what has been apparent lost in the postal system etc. I will correct these issues and make it right for those involved. Then as mentioned in my previous post I can schedule my orders so that nobody waits more than 4 weeks for any order unless specific world coins need to be sourced etc. I will inform the customer at the time the order is placed.

Shipping procedures are a huge issue for me to rectify. What some of you don't understand is that to add tracking on a 6"x9" bubble pack sized package to the US is $19. Therefore very few customers are willing to pay that much and take a chance on regular post. I would likely do the same if it were the other way around because I also think its ridiculous. As of 3 weeks ago, paypal shipping has now added what is called small packet tracked package which is much cheaper ( around the $10 mark ) on most those same sized packages to the US. Just like to mention that many times depending on the contents, I will ship with tracking based on the value of the contents without asking the customer for the extra. International orders are a different ball game altogether and I quote the customer the rates exactly as they are provided to me by either Canada post or UPS etc. Package values are also determined by the true value however, MANY customers ask that I claim a lower value like $10 on the contents and mark as gift to save on duties and taxes etc. All is good until a package gets lost. I sometimes become the bad guy when I in fact have no control at that point.

In regards to answering emails, I think I respond quite well although there are times when I drop emails into folders to respond to later. I have now created various folders for various inquiries such as quotes requested, shipped packages, etc. another step in making responses to emails better.

Why wouldn't I be at Magic Live? Many of you seem to think that because I am back logged in orders that I should never leave the shop. That's ridiculous. That would mean that I should also never take time out for family or friends either. I have been in business for 23 years and spend an average of 15 hours a day in the shop on the days that I'm in the shop. I never close my shop before 10pm. The winter months are pretty much 7 days a week and in the summer months I rarely work weekends.

I have no issues with either Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft. I have much respect for both of them. But keep in mind that neither of them Supply dealers world wide nor do they create new magic props other than coins for various creators. I create props in plastic, Metal and wood for people like Jay Sankey, David Blaine, Elmwood Magic, Paul Harris, Darryl Vanamburg, Kozmomagic, Garrett Thomas etc etc.

I receive a lot of positive emails weekly praising my workmanship and customer service and yet I am hurt to know that I have let many down so in no way do I pat myself on the back. I am sure that I lose business to Jamie and Todd I can honestly say that they also lose business to me as well. Will always be this way I'm sure

I can't tell you how many times I have stayed in a Hotel or eaten in a restaurant that had horrible reviews and had an amazingly good experience. No excuse for those places to have dissatisfied customers either but it happens.

I will not respond on the Café to each and every post and will not likely read much more on this thread. I would greatly appreciate it if those of you who have concerns or comments of constructive criticism to PLEASE contact me directly at roykueppers@rocketmail.com

Roy Kueppers
“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln
That is both facile and irrelevant.

It's not a matter of pleasing people; pleasing people would be including sweeties or chocolates with a timely delivery. The issue here is delivering at all. As a customer, being told that I'm being dicked around because the seller takes on more than they can chew is, actually, s**t. You can dress it up any way you want to, but business is business. If the seller can't handle the workload, then stop taking orders for $800 which you can't fulfil.

Not only that, but several instances have been cited of downright lying:

"I posted it last week."

Two weeks later:

"Would you like to pay for tracking?"

C'mon. Enough already with the Lincoln quotes, Abe deserves better than being linked to this tawdry thread.

Although, having said that, he failed at several professions, as I recall. Perhaps it is apposite, after all. Roy Kueppers for President?
Appearing at a convention is different than spending time with family. That's taking on more work when the current load is clearly too much to handle. If I owned a restaurant and had tables that had been waiting an hour for their food, it would be silly of me to walk onto the street and try to invite more business in. I should be back in the kitchen, fulfilling the orders I already have.

I know many craftsman attend conventions when there are still orders to be processed and shipped back at home, but the majority of those people also get their products out on time and as promised.
Mr Craig Ousterling,
wll said and thank you !

Mr Zuber,
If you owned a restaurant, I can assure you that you would still have people hating your food and service even if you worked your hardest to please them all.

Mr tomsk192,
Sometimes confused or a bit unorganized with orders but never lying. Choose your words carefully.
Okay, Mr Kueppers. All I've got to go on is what has been shared in this thread. It's not a track record I'd be proud of. I've worked freelance for 22 years. I know the score. I don't really need to be careful legally, in what I've said, but giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's see if all these complaints transmogrify into praise.
[quote]
Roy Kueppers for President?
[/quote]

Once more, Roy Kueppers is Canadian, hello.
Oh, please, Laurie. It was in reference to a quote from Lincoln. It was not a serious suggestion. Hello? I'm English.
Perhaps, then, a nomination for Prime Minister would have been in order.

For those who'd like some info regarding Canada Post rates, here's a link:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

Regarding registered mail, I've inquired in the past with Canada Post about using it for shipping parcels, and was declined. To the best of my knowledge, it can only be used for letters.
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 12:35, Craig Ousterling wrote:
“You can please some of the people some of the time all of the people some of the time some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

― Abraham Lincoln
[/quote]

The actual quote is:
[quote]
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)  
[/quote]
I too honestly wish Roy the best in getting these poor business habits changed.
But there are many things in this thread that make me doubt that will happen.

1. Roy, why do you say that you will probably not check back much on this thread? I would rather hear you say you will check back often because you care about your reputation and want to know when people are having bad experiences.

2. Stephon Johnson made you aware of this thread on June 3, but you chose to ignore it for 3 moonths. Why give Stephon a liist of things to "pass along" to Café members instead of immediately addressing these issues yourself? That doesn't sound like someone trying to make things right, it sounds more like someone trying to make things go away.

3. Now that you have posted a couple times, I see mostly excuses and explanations why 95% of these issues are not really your fault. You've even indirectly blamed the customers for beinng too cheap to pay for tracking and insurance, so it's their own fault I guess. Most telling to me is you have yet to utter even a single apology for being unorganized and ignoring customers for almost a year. Rather than becoming defensive, you should be slobbering apologies all over every client whose money you were very quick to take, but who have never received their order from you.

4. I get the feeling you view this more as a bunch of whiny customers airing their dirty laundry in public and you don't seem too pleaased about it. IOW, other than mentioning a couple new rules you pllan to implement, you don't seem to feel that there was really much of a problem. At least you certainly haven't indicated to me that you accept much of the responsibility for your customers poor experiences.

5. I would like to see some of the folks who posted earlier about never receiving their orders, come back on and say Roy has contacted them and assured them they will get their stuff pronto. Hopefully that will happen very quickly, and if it does they should post it here publicly. But they should also follow up and let us know if Roy actually came through or not.

Hopefully Roy can get things worked out to everyone's satisfaction so this problem never happens again. But I've been in business a long time and from what I've seen in this case, I wouldn't count on it. But time will tell.
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 19:35, magicalaurie wrote:
Perhaps, then, a nomination for Prime Minister would have been in order.

For those who'd like some info regarding Canada Post rates, here's a link:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

Regarding registered mail, I've inquired in the past with Canada Post about using it for shipping parcels, and was declined. To the best of my knowledge, it can only be used for letters.
[/quote]

Erm, no. With reference to Lincoln, a Prime Ministerial joke would be wrong.
Roy,

I fail to see the benefit of any further words in response to posts on this thread, particularly when you acknowledge some problems and also some "confusion" in fulfilling your custom coin orders. The only response you could make with any potential benefit to you is action (in rectifying outstanding problems that you acknowledge exist) and to let your customers speak for you. No further response is necessary unless one of your customers or someone else posts something here that is untrue.

And as for your objection to my reference to Todd Lassen's business practices, perhaps you misread my post. My purpose in relating the fact that Todd has a strict rule that he will not take responsibility for lost mail (particularly in shipping to Europe and other locations that have been experiencing shipping issues) was to suggest that you could also establish such a rule in your dealings with buyers. I don't think that the differences between your business and Todd's business lessen that point at all. If you make your policy equally clear and stick to it, your buyers will have no reasonable objection if they decide not to insure their purchase. Thankfully, Paypal, as you note, is revolutionizing this area. Sometimes, attempting to please buyers by placing a false value for customs purposes only serves to create a land mine for yourself that may or may not blow up at a later date. Again, if you stop trying to please everyone and work to establish hard and fast rules based upon past experiences, there is no reasonable objection so long as your customers understand those rules in advance.

I remain interested to hear from your actual customers on this point (as opposed to those who object to how long you take or whether you are attending a convention or not). If you were factually inaccurate to a customer as to when or whether an item was mailed out, my only concern (in addition to whether the innaccuracies were intentional) would be whether you would make it up to that customer. If your records are such that you can't say for sure whether you mailed something out or not then unfortunately, the presumption goes against you, not your customer. For your sake, I am glad you are making efforts to fix this aspect of your business and I am perfectly willing to give you the benefit of the doubt while we are waiting for your customers to post their experiences here.

Stay well.

Alan
It is sad to hear stories of Roy Kueppers failing to please customers or failing to give customers their shipments delivered on time (or at all), but I would like to give my personal experience with Roy and his customer service. First off, I'd like to say that the two times I've placed orders with Roy (2012 june and 2013 june) I was in a hurry to get the gaffs. Roy managed to actually get the custom coins finished and delivered within 3 weeks for the first order. The second order had a minor delay due to some coins being out of stock for him to gaff with, but in the end I still received the order within 1 month. However, there were some items missing in the second order (matching regular coins, not gaffs). I am currently working on purchasing more items from Roy with addition to the missing items, which he will mail to me with the items I am ordering. Overall I am personally pleased with Roy's customer service. I've also called Todd Lassen and met Jamie Schoolcraft in person before and both of their customer service is also excellent (although I haven't actually ordered from them)

On a side note with regards to quality I am actually thinking about getting some of my friends gaffs from Todd and Jamie, and my gaffs from Roy Kueppers and taking a few pictures of them to post onto the Café for other Caférs to assess and try and guess which gaff belongs to which craftsman.
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 19:28, magicalaurie wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Shouldn't 'Hello' go at the beginning of the sentence; rather than at the end?

There appear to be some quite strange people in Canada.
[quote]
On 2013-09-02 15:08, Merc Man wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 19:28, magicalaurie wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Shouldn't 'Hello' go at the beginning of the sentence; rather than at the end?

[/quote]

Merc,
No, hello is appropriate where it is in the context in which it was used.
MR
But missing the point, nonetheless. :)
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 20:01, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[quote]

― Abraham Lincoln
[/quote]

The actual quote is:
[quote]
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Actually I've come to find that Lincoln never said either of those things, but I like the wording in my false version. ;)
[quote]
On 2013-09-02 15:08, Merc Man wrote:

[/quote]

Remember what happened to Jerry Sadowitz.... ;)
[quote]
On 2013-09-02 20:18, Craig Ousterling wrote:
[/quote]

How about this one?

[quote]
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/abrahamlin109276.html#DgFaUcAfU4RMv8us.99

[/quote]
I actually like your false quote too, as false quotes go.
[quote]
On 2013-09-02 20:08, Craig Ousterling wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-01 20:01, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[quote]

― Abraham Lincoln
[/quote]

The actual quote is:
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Actually I've come to find that Lincoln never said either of those things, but I like the wording in my false version. ;)
[/quote]

The word "never" is, perhaps, a bit strong. I give you that there is some debate over the attribution as the actual speach the quote comes from was not contemporaneously transcribed, but it is at least arguable that the quote Lincoln is most famous for was said by him.

Ignore the title and read the article::

http://abrahamlincolnassociation.org/Newsletters/5-4.pdf

"After investigation several witnesses were found, notably Lewis Campbell of DeWitt County, Ill.; J. J. Robinson of Lincoln, Ill.; and J. L. Hill of Fletcher, O., who agreed that Lincoln had expressed the sentiment, if not the exact words generally quoted."
Merc Man - I think President Camacho said that, although I can see Obama saying it too, I really think it was Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert aka "President Camacho" who actually said it. ;)

Banzai - the "." was a deleted double post from hitting the back button. oh, and just because I bring knives to the gun fight... er.. wait. :D
:)
I think Robin Williams said it best. "You can please some of the people some of the time and jerk the rest off". After reading this thread, I am very grateful that I am a 15 minute drive away from Todd Lassen's house.
You and Obama, both. :)
Ha, I'm sure Roy Kueppers is thrilled that you guys keep bumping this to the top of page 1 with your back and forth banter :)
[quote]
On 2013-09-03 20:02, videoman wrote:
Ha, I'm sure Roy Kueppers is thrilled that you guys keep bumping this to the top of page 1 with your back and forth banter :)
[/quote]
Maybe he'll take something from it.

In other words, it's really quite simple to POST SOMETHING! ;)
[quote]
On 2013-09-04 03:23, Merc Man wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-03 20:02, videoman wrote:
[/quote]
Maybe he'll take something from it.

In other words, it's really quite simple to POST SOMETHING! ;)
[/quote]

Well put, Merc Man
What's Roy going to accomplish by posting responses to basically the same questions?

Actions will speak louder than words. Reviews/changes will, hopefully, be posted by customers.
[quote]
On 2013-09-03 12:54, Craig Ousterling wrote:
Banzai - the "." was a deleted double post from hitting the back button. oh, and just because I bring knives to the gun fight... er.. wait. :D
[/quote]

No offence meant. Just trying to lighten up this tedious thread.
So, what's the latest guys?

Have any little Jiffy bags dropped through your letter boxes, or are Mr Kueppers promises as empty as your doormats?
I just got a new package from Roy Kueppers within 1 week my order was placed! and this was shipping to China! Absolutely amazing I have to say. Compared to schoolcraft and lassen, he as actually way more easier to get in contact with via email.
[quote]
On 2013-09-14 22:01, Dentian wrote:
I just got a new package from Roy Kueppers within 1 week my order was placed! and this was shipping to China! Absolutely amazing I have to say. Compared to schoolcraft and lassen, he as actually way more easier to get in contact with via email.
[/quote]
Dentian , I think you are just lucky because you will have same experience with us if you placed order several months ago.
I think Roy has improved his service quality recently..(maybe because this thread).
I keep call him everday last two weeks and he decided to "re-make" my order and he finally send it out yesterday (He ask to charge more $50 for insurance and registered mail..alright).
Anyway I got my parcel tracking number finally and can track my parcel on Canada postoffice now , now I have to wait for 7-30 delievry day.
A quick update from me. After speaking to Roy a few times he has remade my order and posted it within a week of him saying he would remake my order.
It was sent with tracking but I have been hit with an import tax bill (Go UK customs) so am expecting delivery tomorrow.

Since this thread started and Roy posted a reply he has kept his word with regards to my order.
[quote]
On 2013-09-16 06:10, TheTrickman wrote:
A quick update from me. After speaking to Roy a few times he has remade my order and posted it within a week of him saying he would remake my order.
It was sent with tracking but I have been hit with an import tax bill (Go UK customs) so am expecting delivery tomorrow.

Since this thread started and Roy posted a reply he has kept his word with regards to my order.
[/quote]

Very glad to hear this!
Okay...so the final post from me on this thread I started. I received delivery of my £2 OXF coin yesterday and I must say I am incredibly pleased with the craftsmanship of it. It far excels the 'over the counter' flipper and shell I have been using to date.

Obviously I cannot ignore that it took nearly 10 months to get here nor the other reports on this thread but I can say that since Roy posted on here and got in contact with me he has kept his word at every turn and the customer service has been excellent.
I really hope it is a permanent change as his work is exemplary and his prices are excellent.
I am still waiting my parcel...
Here is the expanded shell set I got from Roy Kueppers:

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/ke95ic.jpg[/img]
Are you pleased with it?
Haha, yes I am! Roy certainly selected a great set of coins for me, their very soft and also have some great tarnish on them. I've placed another order with him, so I'll post some more images of those once they arrive.
I have several gaff sets from him.
And very satisfied with all of them also.
Todd
Roy's work looks expectational. Craftsmen of this ability (in our game), are few and far between.

But FFS get your act together fella!

This is (with the advances of the Internet) an ever-shrinking World/Community, and poor perception sticks worse than sh*t to a blanket.

Sort your life out son, don't BS people and basically, give people what they pay for Roy.

I wish you every success mate.
Today I received my package and the work is excellent. Roy has improved the service and delivery of packages, to fit his work on coins. He is a good craftsman so I really hope the new level at delivering will keep on at the current level.
I am happy now
[quote]
On 2013-10-15 18:28, Munken wrote:
Today I received my package and the work is excellent. Roy has improved the service and delivery of packages, to fit his work on coins. He is a good craftsman so I really hope the new level at delivering will keep on at the current level.
I am happy now

[/quote]

Now, that's the best advertising! Let your customers speak for you.

I hope to hear more of this.

Regards,

Alan
Right on, Roy. :)
Just to jump in, I have ordered from Roy twice. Once for just a basic folding coin, and once for a customized walking liberty oxf set. Both times Roy was very easy to reach, and while making my oxf set, he sent me frequent updates on my order's progress. I received my folding coin a couple DAYS after my order, and after my oxf was shipped, I received it within a week. Roy has alway been very friendly and prompt with answering my emails, and the quality of his work is OUTSTANDING! Go Roy!
Highly recommended!

-Leo
Twice this year I have made orders with Roy Kueppers - & twice I have been left astounded at his craftmanship! (Where else on earth can you get a Canadian Scotch&Soda made so well?)

Spoke directly with Roy for the second order, and he was extremely attentive and diligent in assembling my order and ensuring I was highly satisifed!

Will be a third order before the year is done - Thanks Roy!
Mine is still not here after 3 months of waiting .. email no reply, will try to call

first time order took me 2 months more to get mine, second time is about the same ...

might be the last time for me to purchase from him..
I sent Roy a set of 4 matching soft Morgans less than 2 months ago so he can make me a matching expanded shell for the set...

Received the set on Monday, very satisfied!

Shell, first left
[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/thepugsta/set.jpg[/img]

First top right
[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/thepugsta/nested2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/thepugsta/set2.jpg[/img]
[quote]
On 2013-08-31 00:22, Shanlip wrote:
Roy,

You state "When a package is shipped and does not arrive, I will always offer to reship or refund payment."
I
This is rubbish! I ordered a Locking Sam from you and paid $120 after 12months and numerous emails that went unanswered I would then call, and get many conflicting stories.

I requested a refund sep 26th 2012 and just got a response I have sent it twice.

Well sir due to this I will never have dealings with you again, you need to learn a lot about customer service.
[/quote]

Never got a response!
[quote]
On 2013-09-21 12:36, bowers wrote:
I have several gaff sets from him.
And very satisfied with all of them also.
Todd
[/quote]

Same goes my way. Roy had excellent communication with me. I heard Roy did the "secret something" for Garrett Thomas's Imagination Coin project and it turned out very well from what I've read.
[quote]
On 2014-01-26 18:50, MagicDebbie wrote:

I heard Roy did the "secret something" for Garrett Thomas's Imagination Coin project and it turned out very well from what I've read.
[/quote]

I suspect that may be the reason behind Roy's apparent Jekyll & Hyde personas when it comes to customer service. Roy does a lot of work for various dealer items. Not all are coin related either. For instance I know he manufactured the gimmicks for Paul Richards' "Token" effect.
He probably gets big orders from dealers with tight deadlines he knows he has to meet. So the smaller orders from individuals get put on the back burner and possibly fall through the cracks completely.
When he's not struggling to meet his dealer orders then you receive great service from him.
If this is at all true then certainly not a good way to run your business, but then again, I could be all wrong. Just speculating. But it does make sense and would explain the hit or miss his customers seem to experience.
My experience with Roy, unfortunately, has not been that good. I ordered an expanded shell set, and Roy seemed nice on the phone and was pleasant to talk to. However, when I received the set, I was not pleased. The shell was made too big, and the coins rattled loudly . I went to the coin store to find coins that match, and I didn't find a single coin that fit snugly. My conclusion was that he might have messed up and made it too big. I called him and told him about the shell fitting too loosely. He then told me to buy his DVD on shells, as that would teach me to fix the problem myself. I was put off by this, because if I was him, I would have the customer send the product back so that I can make things right, instead of asking the customer to spend more money on some new DVD which may or may not help. I decided never to order from him again
Not trying to talk trash, just giving my honest feedback for those who may be wondering.
[quote]
On 2014-01-26 23:25, evikshin wrote:
He then told me to buy his DVD on shells, as that would teach me to fix the problem myself. I was put off by this, because if I was him, I would have the customer send the product back so that I can make things right, instead of asking the customer to spend more money on some new DVD which may or may not help.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend buying either Roy's Shell or Flipper DVD.
I will buy certain Roy's coin gaffs only trough the Tricks & Effects for Sale or Trade section here at the Café if they are available.
[quote]
On 2014-01-27 01:55, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Unfortunately, I cannot recommend buying either Roy's Shell or Flipper DVD.
[/quote]

I just re-read my post. I wanted to clarify that I was not disparaging Roy's shells or other gaffs, only his Shell DVD and Flipper DVD.

More here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=510996&forum=202
It's a pain when order coin set from Roy lol
[quote]
On 2014-01-26 23:25, evikshin wrote:
My experience with Roy, unfortunately, has not been that good. I ordered an expanded shell set, and Roy seemed nice on the phone and was pleasant to talk to. However, when I received the set, I was not pleased. The shell was made too big, and the coins rattled loudly . I went to the coin store to find coins that match, and I didn't find a single coin that fit snugly. My conclusion was that he might have messed up and made it too big. I called him and told him about the shell fitting too loosely. He then told me to buy his DVD on shells, as that would teach me to fix the problem myself. I was put off by this, because if I was him, I would have the customer send the product back so that I can make things right, instead of asking the customer to spend more money on some new DVD which may or may not help. I decided never to order from him again
Not trying to talk trash, just giving my honest feedback for those who may be wondering.
[/quote]

I purchased an unexpanded set of Peace dollars. The shell had a 'notch' cut in the side of it. Having other sets - including a Morgan unexpanded set purchased previously from Roy Kueppers - I knew a shell wasn't supposed to have a notch in it. The accompanying coins all had raised edges - almost like tiny burs, (I assume were from the re-milling) - that made them impossible to slide across one another in performance. The set literally couldn't be used. He was reluctant to replace it, but agreed to. ...And so started many months of him touting how good his workmanship is and how 'honest as the day is long' he is, and how no one else ever complains about him; all the while, lying about the replacement being shipped, ignoring calls/e-mails, and refusing the returned shipment, (which came out of my pocket). Only after a firm and precise letter of intent did he answer my e-mails or take any action. When I finally received the replacement set - months later - it was also poorly machined.
I had ONE good, initial experience with him and received an excellent product; so I decided to give him more business. ...The second experience with him was an absolute nightmare and the final product, after all that hassle, was poor in comparison to the previous set of his I had. I won't do business with him ever again. It seems my experience is, unfortunately, not a rare occurrence. I'm finding that there are many, many similar experiences with Mr. Kueppers. Anyone who has not yet fallen prey to his dishonest business practices and poor 'customer service' would be well advised to seek another craftsman for their coin products.
Attken, Did you get your items now? How are they?
Hi Dentian ,
Yes, I got my coins at last year November,but I am not so satisfied with MENAGE A3 because Roy mistake made the gaff.
I mailed him and ask him to do the replacement but Roy didn't response me any more.
BTW, I will never ever do business again with this guy.
Hello Attken, that is sad to hear. By the way, do you live in China?
No, I live in Taiwan
I gotta say I have never had a bad interaction with Roy..Our interactions have made us become personal friends outside of Magic.Every Coin that I receive from Roy is top notch..I do understand that when people wait they get upset and when they get no reply they also get upset.But I can tell you this,Like I said we are personal friends now and Ive been to Roys shop and watched him work through blood sweat and tears to make everything smooth and timely for the customers order..What I get to see and what you think is happening in that shop is to way different perspectives If I felt that was how he treated his customers I would speak the truth but I can assure you that is NOT The way he treats his customers,You have to remember in this day and age of computers everyone seems to think that just because an email is sent it was also received,Computers screw uno more than humans do,So yes maybe your email went to junkmail,maybe you have a virus on your computer that you don't know about and Roys protection against viruses and such from emails probably dumps it so it doesn't take down his database or others for that matter.to those who have not received orders I can assure you if you want to get ahold of Roy,You can,The guy is so approachable and friendly..Anyway just a little note from someone who gets to watch Roy work quite often,I can also tell you this,if you think that making coin gaffs is just some smooth process and everything just turns out peachy,you would be wrong,Machines break and have to fixed or service Roy works so hard at his craft that saying he shouldn't be at a magic convention or anywhere else for that matter is wrong,Roy is just like us he works hard and needs time away for vacation,family etc Which he doesn't do often at all. I know this all sounds bias because I am a personal friend of Roy's,butnow put yourself in his shoes One man supplying the world with coin gaffs ,dealers,custom jobs for well known magicians orders from everywhere,I guess its hard to understand when your not on the inside seeing what is going on.I can assure you the only thing on his mind everyday and every minute of everyday is pleasing his customers ,giving them the highest quality possible, and doing his best at communicating..Most of us go to work for 8-10 hours a day and punch out and then we don't have to worry about anything until the next day of work,Roy does not have that luxury,I can honestly confirm what he's says his days are 15 hours or more sometimes 7 days a week.Give it some thought about how you would handle that kind of stress its not easy..Anyway just my rant :) Roy is a great friend and Master Craftsman.I don't want any nasty replies or bashing,i am just trying to give you guys a look through my eyes that see in side the shop.
I ordered a matched set of common Kennedy half dollars with expanded shimmed shell from Roy's website. They arrived nicely packaged within two weeks. The set is very nicely done and is far superior to my first shell (E-Z brand).

Very happy with the set and I will likely order from him again. I wouldn't mind getting a Canadian loonie or twonie set.

My only beef is having to pay for products purchased from a fellow Canadian in US dollars. I understand and respect the practicalities behind this but it's still a bit irksome.