(Close Window)
Topic: Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C)
This morning I got a newsletter update from Alakazam HQ with the frist look trailer of Peter Nardi's S.T.C

I love in magic when an old effect that has been around for a while and is perhaps a little exhausted, and is brought back with such a small but hugly significant update that makes it a whole new world of awesome!

Thos who perform or like me, used to perform the Cig Thru Card will appreciate that this effect has been brought bang up to date with the Sharpie Marker.

Its been a while since ive seen an effect that I cant wait to come on sale!

Im sure there will be more info in the coming days but check out the demo. Im sure you'll agree, it looks !@#$%^& awesome!

It comes in at 19:56 for those who just want to check out the demo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdlxuqTX-vY&feature=youtu.be

Jamie Daws
Looks pretty good!
That is insane looking.
JamieD, thanks for all that info. It does look VERY good.

I used do a Sharpie through card with a gimmicked Sharpie I got from Doc Eason in the 90's ( $30 and I lost the darn thing in a move ). It got great reactions.

Mark Mason had the cig through card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCKdHHR_PI

Was that Rob Bromley's?
Did pick up something similar to this at the London International Magic Show last year ,without giving anything away ,what I picked up could do this and a little more ,i suspect this can as well,so cool effect,all the best

Shane
Beautifully done chaps!
Looks good. :)

No info yet on price or how many ---- you get with it?

Thank you.

Jim
I am still fond and using D.C. I and II. Peter is in my fav five when it comes to creations.
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the kind comments and feedback. STC will be on our site for pre-order this Friday. The release date is July 8th. We will send out and email and push notification (for those of you that have the Alakazam App) as soon as it goes live.

Best Regards

Peter
Something worth waiting for....
As an effect I have performed in one form or another for the past 10-15 years I'm sure you guys are going to love this.

Regards

Peter
Its things like this that make me really mad. Just more money I will be spending. Looks killer.
Looks very nice ... I'll be checking it out...
[quote]
On 2013-06-20 03:28, Peter Nardi wrote:
As an effect I have performed in one form or another for the past 10-15 years I'm sure you guys are going to love this.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Mark Mason had the cig through card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCKdHHR_PI

Was that Rob Bromley's?
Fits perfectly here:

http://youtu.be/F96Y4HSCdLo
I do like stuff like this......I am sure Peter has another winner; you do not even need to carry an entire deck of cards if that is not your style, just one card, red or blue and the Sharpie and you are set for the night. I like having QH and AS for quick mentalism hits anyways.

PS: I have used QBII for years so I already ring in a Sharpie....

Please never stop creating Peter! Even if you are still across the pond. :lol:
Hi Guys

You can pre-order STC on our site http://www.alakazam.co.uk now. Release date is July 8th.

Thank you for all your kind words and support.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-06-21 02:27, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guys

You can pre-order STC on our site http://www.alakazam.co.uk now. Release date is July 8th.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Peter, Mark Mason had the cig through card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCKdHHR_PI

Was that Rob Bromley's?
What a Strange Price not £30 or £31

But

£30.98 !!!
Cig Thru Card was Bromleys. Mark Mason just sold it. Mark did come up with a variant but STC is based on Robs version. Hope that helps.

Ps the price gives our customers a £5 discount on the combo pack.

Regards

Peter
Thank you Peter for the history. Much appreciated. Great job on the trailer.
My pleasure!
Fantastic! I seen this at Smoke and Mirrors and wanted to snaggle it there and then LOLZ. I loved performing cig thru card back in the day but I can't do it anywhere now cos of the smoking ban. So this for me is perfect. It's strong super visual magic and takes 30 seconds to do and I can still go not my fave ACR with the signed card.
Glad you liked it Simon. As you will know seeing STC live looks even better than it does in the video.

Peter
Looks silky. Can't wait to get one
Whoaa, this looks amazing!

I'm a mentalist but I will surely get this as I love Mr. Peter Nardi's effects.. and this one looks like another one of his high quality releases! :O

Heck I even promised myself not to buy any more magic stuff, but this looks so amazing that I know I will get it soon anyway. :P

Best regards! :)

[b] Andreu [/b]

:firedevil:
Thanks Andreu
It looks like real magic ^^' Great job !
Peter has been delivering the goods since last century!

There was a small flaw in a recent item I purchased from Alakazam- they immediately replaced it and told me to keep the original. Mr Nardi's service is truly first class.
Haha, Never thought of it like that Martin. Seems like such a long time

Peter
It does indeed seem a long time Peter. Mind you, Alakazam has never been the same since you deserted the flat in London! We Londoners have never forgiven you! :)
[quote]
On 2013-06-22 01:22, Relick666 wrote:
Whoaa, this looks amazing!

I'm a mentalist but I will surely get this as I love Mr. Peter Nardi's effects.. and this one looks like another one of his high quality releases! :O

Heck I even promised myself not to buy any more magic stuff, but this looks so amazing that I know I will get it soon anyway. :P

Best regards! :)

[b] Andreu [/b]

:firedevil:
[/quote]

Same here. I use to do pen through dollar many moons ago but that had its own problems. Sharpie is so much larger.....and visual.
I refuse to get this because Alakzam just informed me it doesn't come with the chorus and band to play the music while you perform this...

You cannot get quality these days...
:) Love It!
Does it write? ...
[quote]
On 2013-06-23 16:04, joseph wrote:
Does it write? ...
[/quote]
It doesn't look to me like it is the sharpie that is gimmicked
Since it comes with the option "red" or "blue", you receive a card and not a sharpie ;)
I love how clean the penetration itself looks...If it really works that simply (i.e. no slow pushing or awkward fidgeting) this looks like a winner.
I used to perform the Cig Through card all the time and get killer reactions. Now Peter is bringing this out, it will go straight back into my repertoire. Cant wait for this up to date version of the Bromley classic to be released. Great idea guys!!
I remember reading in a David Solomon book about a great idea by Danny Orleans.As a non-smoker he used a piece of wood shaped like a
cigarette and called it a 'Healing stick'.
[quote]
On 2013-06-23 16:22, professorwho wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-23 16:04, joseph wrote:
Does it write? ...
[/quote]
It doesn't look to me like it is the sharpie that is gimmicked
[/quote]

Yeah I agree....don't think it is because gimmick comes in blue or red if Im not mistaken.
Hi Guys,

Just to answer a couple of questions. The sharpie used in the effect is totally ungimmicked as is your spectators freely chosen & signed card. Also the penetration is as quick and smooth as it does in the demo.

Best Regards

Peter
Awesome! STC and QB2, a one-two punch with one playing card, easy pocket management! :dancing:
Just had this nice quote sent to me.

This is the evolution we have been waiting for. Why it took so long I do not know but this is how a pen through card should look. -Alan Rorrison

Thank you for all your support guys!

Regards

Peter
What more could I ask

"What a visually stunning moment of magic - that is going straight into my act" -Nick Einhorn

Thanks Nick

Peter
Wow, a great quote from a great magician.. This must rock ! Peter, sent you a PM ;)
Hi Peter,
Just saw the demo on your site. This one looks another winner from you guys. Going to order now. Going straight into my act too!!!
I have to admit, the Trailer looks good. What I don't understand is the Title
of the Effect?

Sharpie through Card, when the Sharpie is not gimmicked at all. It's negative Marketing
IMO, because many Magicians don't carry around Sharpies (Germany, Switzerland etc.) and
the Title and the Picture suggests, that it doesen't work with other Objects.

The Trick looks exactly like the Classic Cig through Card. Is there any difference?
Can the Card be shown on both Sides when the Sharpie stucks in the Card?

Is the Gimmicked Card thicker then a regular Playing Card?

Thanks Guys and good Luck
I think you have some valid questions rasmus but since I perform mostly mentalism, I do carry a sharpie with me for all strolling gigs.
Sure Peter will step in with some solid answers.

Decomposing Into Sharpie Ink
[quote]
On 2013-06-25 18:32, Decomposed wrote:
I think you have some valid questions rasmus but since I perform mostly mentalism, I do carry a sharpie with me for all strolling gigs.

[/quote]

Thanks Decomposed:) I just think, the Image and Title suggests, that just a Sharpie
will work for this, when in Fact, other Objects can penetrate as well.
Is this a re-release? I know this has been out before.
[quote]
On 2013-06-25 18:39, rasmus wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Thanks Decomposed:) I just think, the Image and Title suggests, that just a Sharpie
[/quote]

Welcome anytime, boy if other objects will penetrate, this raises the bar!
[quote]
On 2013-06-25 19:41, Decomposed wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-25 18:39, rasmus wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Welcome anytime, boy if other objects will penetrate, this raises the bar!
[/quote]

Sure it raises the Bar. Same was possible with the old cig through card with a rolled up
banknote, straw etc.

but I think, peter should advertise it on the cover, in the title and on the official trailer.
could increse the sales imo.

looks like a re construction of the old cig through but perhaps with better mechanics?
I am all ears...........thinking of more variety of uses now.......
Hi Guys,

As always I've tried to allow the trailer to say it all. This is an update of Bromley's Cig Thru (one of my all time favourite effects). Anyone that knows the mechanics will understand that you make it with a particular penetration item in mind. The lovely thing about using a Sharpie is 1. It's something most of us carry anyway and it makes sense to use it and 2. because a Sharpie is tapered it allows for a fast and smooth penetration as per the trailer.

I hope that answers your questions

Regards

Peter
And yes you course of course use a rolled up note etc As Per The Trailer.
I think this is a great idea, smoking is not fashionable as it was many years ago and E-cig through card sounds silly :)
As said by others we all carry sharpie's, I for one think this is practical...... into the shopping basket it goes.
[quote]
On 2013-06-21 02:39, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-21 02:27, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guys

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Peter, Mark Mason had the cig through card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCKdHHR_PI

Was that Rob Bromley's?
[/quote]

Zombie, you buy too much magic. How about taking a break and keeping your history to yourself?
You can never have too much :)
Stop buying magic???? Are you crazy???? To meny killer effects like this I must have.
I have a shop full of effects to play with but I always find myself buying new magic to play with personally :)

Peter
Peter, congratulations on this new release. I think it's going to be one of the big ones this year!

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/peter_nardi.png[/img]
Thanks Zombie
Ps who's that good looking chap in your message ? :)
Mr. Nardi would you consider making a Mandolin version of the gimmick. Or does the DVD go over on making you own up so you could use the deck of you choice? Or will it be bicycle only. This wouldn't hender me from purchasing but would be a big plus if this option is there.
I don't thank that would be a problem at all. I'll look into it
I have and advance copy and I can say with confidence that most who take the plunge will be pleased. The gimmick has been well crafted and the visual you get in the video is exactly what you get in real life. I love it.
Peter, your the best. Just you entertaining the thought, shows your willingness to go the extra mile for your customers. Now that's CLASS.
I have been lucky enough to have had this for a few days already and have put this straight into my strolling close up set.
Easy to ring in and easy to ditch, oh and easy to perform too. With an effect this good I think everyone should own one. Perfectly made and looks just like the video online. Great magic. Thanks Peter and Alakazam for yet another winner!
Just to let you know, We're still on track for the 8th of July release. Can't wait to start getting these out to you guys

Regards

Peter
Hi guys. I have been playing with this over the past few days (thanks Pete) and must say it is awesome. The gimmick is superbly made and will last a long time. I have been using it on the offbeat, rather than as a stand alone effect which works for me. The DVD covers both variations as well as some other ideas and effects. It's really strong.... Even after I pull the signed card out of my wallet in an envelope etc etc, they just keep asking.... but how did you do that pen thing!!!!!!!!!

This will be one of Alakazams' best selling effects - congratulations Pete, another winner.
Sean, I've been getting the same reactions mate :)

Peter
Hi Guys

All pre-orders for STC will be dispatched on Monday, enjoy!

Regards

Peter
Hi Guys

STC is in stock now!

Best Regards

Peter
Ordered mine this morning :)
Looking forward to it..
Ordered mine, now Peter spill on V deck don't keep us in suspenders
HAHA, Just waiting to get the release date sorted for Vdeck and then I will come clean. I hate no giving a solid release date for our pre-orders.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-08 08:04, Peter Nardi wrote:
HAHA, Just waiting to get the release date sorted for Vdeck and then I will come clean. I hate no giving a solid release date for our pre-orders.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]
Peter you have a PM ,perhaps your Pm box is full?
Pengin has STC in:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=stc

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/peter_nardi.png[/img]
If I missed it, I apoligize.
Does it come with a Sharpie?
Penguin offers it in Blue or Red, or both! That's cool!

Thanks
Mike
Hi Mike,

STC does not come with a Sharpie. Use any regular Sharpie to perform the effect. The Combo packs seem to be really popular with our customers.

Best Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-08 18:04, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Mike,

STC does not come with a Sharpie. Use any regular Sharpie to perform the effect. The Combo packs seem to be really popular with our customers.

Best Regards

Peter
[/quote]

is it weird I read your post with your accent? :)
Mustard !!
Looks great! Will be picking one up!
I'm so proud of this effect and I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks you all for your support guys.

Peter
I like the idea of using it in an off-beat moment (mentioned above) plus I am a red back bicycle person. :kewl: :bikes:

My only concern would be if the red color gave away anything being as bright as it is.
Both the red and blue gimmicks are great, so no need to worry :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-08 18:41, Peter Nardi wrote:
I'm so proud of this effect and I'm really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks you all for your support guys.

Peter
[/quote]

OK - just ordered at Penguin...

This looks like a great one.
Got my red backed version this morning - it's stunning. Same handling as old cig through card and the same as the Michael Chatelain Matrix that I have been doing for a while. Even though STC is a short hit and not as involved as Matrix, I'm definitely including STC in close up act and shelving Matrix (which I have found gets looser with use and is pretty expensive for something that doesn't last).

I agree STC works best as on offbeat during any other signed card effect (as long as you don't overshadow the plot of the main effect - maybe once the effect is finished and you're just about to give out the signed card? Then there is no need to 'interrupt' your ACR or whatever you're doing). I think I'll trial Haunted Deck with the signed card finishing in my hands, then a quick STC before handing out.

If you're on the cusp of a decision - buy it, it will get used !
I placed my order for the combo. I'm looking forward to receiving it.
Put my order in for red, I don't use blue decks :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-09 09:01, Blindside785 wrote:
Put my order in for red, I don't use blue decks :)
[/quote]Same here. Just ordered the red one.
Came this morning. Beautiful thing. Manufactured so so well.... the secret really is invisible. Spot on.
[quote]
On 2013-07-09 12:13, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Came this morning. Beautiful thing. Manufactured so so well.... the secret really is invisible. Spot on.
[/quote]How long do you think the card will last? I can see myself using this, building a notepage of scripting already, this isn't just gonna be a quicky trick for me :)
Do we have to use a specific sharpie brand / fixed diameter thing to go through the card or anything can fit in the card?
I just ordered this! I can't wait to get it
This looks like trick photography.. The kind off moment you can't realise what is happening :O
Thank you so much for the kind words and support guys.

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-09 13:24, doriancaudal wrote:
Do we have to use a specific sharpie brand / fixed diameter thing to go through the card or anything can fit in the card?
[/quote]

I don't think that matters up to a point, you see the rolled up paper going through.
[quote]
On 2013-07-09 06:15, charlies_hat wrote:
Got my red backed version this morning - it's stunning. Same handling as old cig through card and the same as the Michael Chatelain Matrix that I have been doing for a while. Even though STC is a short hit and not as involved as Matrix, I'm definitely including STC in close up act and shelving Matrix (which I have found gets looser with use and is pretty expensive for something that doesn't last).

I agree STC works best as on offbeat during any other signed card effect (as long as you don't overshadow the plot of the main effect - maybe once the effect is finished and you're just about to give out the signed card? Then there is no need to 'interrupt' your ACR or whatever you're doing). I think I'll trial Haunted Deck with the signed card finishing in my hands, then a quick STC before handing out.

If you're on the cusp of a decision - buy it, it will get used !
[/quote]

I see this a no brainer for card people but a lot of people do not perform a lot with cards or an entire deck (no pun). That said, I think anyone who does any kind of PK work and packet type effects (ESPerfect for instance) may have some needed use for this type of weapon. :)
I got mine this morning. Hammered it all day. Really pleased with this although after using a cig through years ago, I didn't doubt Bromleys work.
Thanks to the team for getting me this so quickly too.
How long will it last? Not sure.... really depends on how well you look after it. After playing with it for an afternoon, it feels like it is a lot stronger than it looks! It really is lush and flush. The best thing is.... strangely, when you push the pen through the card, it feels so, so good. I can't explain it, feels so smooth, like it really is going through the card and not a hole.

Peter Nardi is right, the precision on this thing is incredible.... I still have no idea exactly how it is made!?!?!

BUY it. A gorgeous little addition to ANY set.... will add a few seconds of magic at least, and most importantly, YOU WILL USE THIS, mainly because it's just so simple.

If you love cig through coin / cig through card, this is a winner.
Received mine this morning, not 'played' with it enough to do a review, however it is beautifully constructed. You cannot see the gaff! I had to push with my fingers to find it. It won't be seen by a spectator. As Max would say 'a thing of terrifying beauty' MUST be product of the year.
[quote]
On 2013-07-09 19:36, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
....The best thing is.... strangely, when you push the pen through the card, it feels so, so good. I can't explain it, feels so smooth, like it really is going through the card and not a hole....
[/quote]

Dude.... erm.... this is slightly disturbing.... ;)
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Jul 10, 2013 05:00AM)
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 04:29, corindaman wrote:
Received mine this morning, not 'played' with it enough to do a review, however it is beautifully constructed. You cannot see the gaff! I had to push with my fingers to find it. It won't be seen by a spectator. As Max would say 'a thing of terrifying beauty' MUST be product of the year.
[/quote]
May the card be inspected by the audience after performing?
My wild guess would be, "no".
[quote]
May the card be inspected by the audience after performing?
[/quote]

As far as the spec is concerned - the card is fully inspectable and they can take it away. Presentation is the key.
Mine just arrived, opened the packaging to find no dvd or gimmick [gutted]
Have emailed the guys.
Can any pen go through the card?
Hi,

As a manufacturer and a creator myself, I believe I can work out how most effects are done (if the demo is true) but personally I do not feel the need to jump on here and prove to everyone how clever I am by exposing it.

For a creator, having one of your effects taken apart piece by piece on a forum is not very pleasant . Imagine performing at a party and you hear someone saying "yeah I can see you're impressed and enjoying the show BUT he's only doing a **** the Sharpie isn't really going through your card".

Now to me, this is exactly what happens here on the Café. People enjoy a trailer, get excited about an effect and then its openly exposed. Am I missing something ?

What is the point?

Peter

Ps the effect is design for a sharpie pen
All this discussion might generate the odd sale though, eh chaps?
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 13:43, tomsk192 wrote:
All this discussion might generate the odd sale though, eh chaps?
[/quote]

Actually I think the opposite is true. I'd be surprised if any experienced performer watching the demo doesn't know the method. However, for the hobbyists or enthusiasts that may not know - and my guess is they're an important part of the market - I suspect that exposure reduces their likelihood of buying an item since it loses something of its mystery, even for them. So no, I don't think it generates sales at all.

Also, I've got nothing to do with this product or any other on the market, so your comment is neither apposite or even relevant.

Sorry if I've started something here, I just think showboating your knowledge( even if it is just uninformed guesswork on the method) is harmful, adolescent, and unprofessional.
I totally agree re: showboating knowledge. I like Alakazam and am a fan of PN. That having been said, the Café generates revenue for many producers.
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 13:25, Peter Nardi wrote:
Imagine performing at a party and you hear someone saying "yeah I can see you're impressed and enjoying the show BUT he's only doing a **** the Sharpie isn't really going through your card".

[/quote]

To be fair, I was drinking when I said that and everyone was still in love with what you did.

How'd you sneak the dove under her dress?
Nevertheless it hurt Zombie :)
Couldn't agree more with PN. Too much noise about method is totally unnecessary.

Also, if you want take all magic ad copy literally when a gimmick is concerned, you're in the wrong job.
Peter is one of the few creators I actually like to watch his demo performances. He has a nice persona and a very polished act.

Its off topic somewhat but someone said a few posts above that he loved Peter. :kewl:
Anyway, can't wait to see this live ! ;)
Back to Mr. Nardi......he's one of the gifts to the art. A fantastic performer, creator and all around good egg.

On Sharpie Through Card, I love the moment in the trailer when the audience member pulls the Sharpie out. That makes it magic in their hands now.

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/peter_nardi.png[/img] I made a fair demo.....just buy STC and perform it!
OK, now back to the topic...

I noticed several people saying that they ordered the red or blue version, and I think someone said there's a combo version. I ordered from Penguin yesterday, and wasn't given a choice. Wonder what I'll get. I should know by Friday.
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 20:01, tomsk192 wrote:
How's your top change?
[/quote]

sorry, can't answer that, because of exposure:) LOL
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 21:02, rasmus wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 20:01, tomsk192 wrote:
How's your top change?
[/quote]

sorry, can't answer that, because of exposure:) LOL
[/quote]

:applause:

:sun:
Oh BTW:

My Girlfriend can do the Best Top Change of the World = She can change
her Top extremely Fast:)
[quote]
On 2013-07-10 21:41, rasmus wrote:
Oh BTW:

My Girlfriend can do the Best Top Change of the World = She can change
her Top extremely Fast:)
[/quote]

I prefer a slower change, especially if it flashes.
Hehehe

youre totally right Larry:) the slower, the better LOL
You guys are making me laugh out loud!!!

Zom
See and when I read Larry's comment, I read it as a "shower change".

Personally I think I prefer my mistake. Fond memories and that's all I'm saying.

Btw, the STC trick does look really good, almost like trick photography.
It looks even better in real life :)
Got it today, excellent quality, performs just as in the video demo, great stuff! (Just hope it doesn't wear out too quickly)
I also received this today...wow on the gimmick...its flawless!
Ordered this morning
Got my replacement and really happy with this.
Gimmick is brilliant
The Gimmick should last a very long time (if treated correctly). I've been using the same gimmick for over a year.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-11 16:55, Peter Nardi wrote:
The Gimmick should last a very long time (if treated correctly). I've been using the same gimmick for over a year.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]
Well there ya go, I don't mind spending $30 every 6-12(maybe more) months for this effect.
Maybe in 6 months, with proof of purchase, replacement cards can be offered?

[img]http://images.penguinmagic.com/images/magitars/peter_nardi.png[/img]..... "I should have Zombie on my creative team!"
This is awesome. Road tested it tonight and I love it. It's great to perform as a piece of strange before a full on card routine. It really establishes that you are not going to be traditional pick a card magician. Plus it helps that it is super visual, easy to do and resets. Honestly this ticks all my boxes and a few boxes I didn't even know needed ticking.

Is it good? Put it this way I want a few spares so I am never without this, I can foresee this will be a big player.

Congratulations on a great release.

Craig
Peter - you are in big trouble buddy!
I also would like to know if replacements will be available later?
Hi Guys,

I would expect we will release replacement gimmicks in 3-6 months.

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-11 19:09, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guys,

I would expect we will release replacement gimmicks in 3-6 months.

Peter
[/quote]

How does Zombie Magic know these things ahead of time?
Awesome Peter. I can see overtime the gimmick weakening
This would be a great finale to effects such as ACR. Using the Sharpie for them to sign the card and let them keep hold of the pen. At the end of your routine you can say something like, "You want to see something really strange?" Take the pen back and then do S.T.C. Now they have seen their signed card many times so they are accustomed to the turn overs. Don't think they would even suspect your not using their signed card.

-Ron
Just arrived today - wow, what a crazy gimmick. So so so so so so so well made!

This gimmick is up there with the Skycap gimmick and the Extractor (another Bromley genius item) in terms of eye popping... engineered perfection... in a very reasonably priced product that will be astounding when performed.

Right out of the box I'm very impressed. The precision must be seen (or not seen) to be believed.

Bravo Nardi & Bromley :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-11 17:57, Craig Petty wrote:
This is awesome. Road tested it tonight and I love it. It's great to perform as a piece of strange before a full on card routine. It really establishes that you are not going to be traditional pick a card magician. Plus it helps that it is super visual, easy to do and resets. Honestly this ticks all my boxes and a few boxes I didn't even know needed ticking.

Is it good? Put it this way I want a few spares so I am never without this, I can foresee this will be a big player.

Congratulations on a great release.

Craig
[/quote]

Well there you go gang. :kewl:
Fair play to Peter. He's actually given the old girl a new dress.

As a smoker myself (and no, I don't want any advice on giving up - because I enjoy it) it's increasingly apparent how many people don't carry cigarettes these days. So to now be able to perform the trick using an everyday item such as a Sharpie, finally pulls it into the 21st Century.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can use this myself as I use a Sherpa (one of those Sharpie covers that makes the pen look a bit posher). However, if I could, then I'd certainly use a TC rather than a DL to make the handling look a little cleaner.

Well done Alakazam - amongst the never-ending amount of utter dross hitting the market these days, this actually looks like a piece of commercial magic!
Peter, be a good lad and send Barry a card ( he won't need the DVD ). I believe his Sherpa will still penetrate the card.

Barry, a TC. Really? Some cry when you say DL or...takes practice. A TC is way out of their comfort zone!
You just leave Top Cat out of this, Zombie. He's the boss, he's a pip, he's the championship, for goodness' sake.

Really, I expected better from you.
A TC teaches people audience management and misdirection in one package boys - and the mechanics are actually a darn sight easier than a 'convincing' DL (a quite simple move that some people clearly still have problems with).

The TC is sweet FA to do with technique or finger-flinging ability..........it's more to do with three simple things - namely, eye contact, natural upper body movement and bigger than average balls. Robert Harbin, Claude Chandler, Pat Page and Joe Riding earned themselves a lot of good money with this one move.

Anyway, to get back on track, will this work with a Sherpa? If Peter wants to send me one, I'm more than happy to road-test it out there in that place referred to as the Real World - ennit Bruv. x
A TC teaches people audience management and misdirection in one package boys - and the mechanics are actually a darn sight easier than a 'convincing' DL (a quite simple move that some people clearly still have problems with).

The TC is sweet FA to do with technique or finger-flinging ability..........it's more to do with three simple things - namely, eye contact, natural upper body movement and bigger than average balls. Robert Harbin, Claude Chandler, Pat Page and Joe Riding earned themselves a lot of good money with this one move.

Anyway, to get back on track, will this work with a Sherpa? If Peter wants to send me one, I'm more than happy to road-test it out there in that place referred to as the Real World - ennit Bruv. x
Hi Guy's

Just a heads up we have been working on a Sherpa version of STC and I'm happy to say it should be ready in 2-3 weeks! I will put these on our site in the next few days.

Best Regards

Peter
Even when you see the demo, you know that it will be a high quality gimmick.. And when you see "Peter Nardi", you don't have to be scared ^^'
Science Friction works beautifully in conjunction with the gimmick - light spray back middle - perfect DL's with no break needed at all - just buttery smooth. I have been testing it all morning and it works 100%.

The use of SF is a match made in heaven for a great effect like STC :)

Did I mention how perfect the STC gimmick is? wow.
[quote]
On 2013-07-12 12:16, saysold1 wrote:
Science Friction works beautifully in conjunction with the gimmick - light spray back middle - perfect DL's with no break needed at all - just buttery smooth. I have been testing it all morning and it works 100%.

The use of SF is a match made in heaven for a great effect like STC :)

Did I mention how perfect the STC gimmick is? wow.
[/quote]You and your Science Friction, I would give you flack for not just perfecting a method but your mentalism video with your Color Matching House is inspiring and badass.

I cannot wait, I'm gonna be using this at upcoming gigs, no doubt.
SF allows cleaner DL's then most pros IMO. It's doesn't even look like a move. It allows non card people or those with dry hands etc to make these moves that allow the performer to focus on presentation.

I'm sorry to sidetrack but I think that STC is so good that those who might fear the dl should grab their SF and enjoy one of the years best effects.

Btw I don't know if I agree with my friend Barry as a tc may be more difficult and call attention to what should look like an uninterrupted sequence. Also the nature of the gimmick may make a tc harder. Maybe I'm wrong - but STC is very magical looking and easy enough for beginners to master with minimal practice.

I have a cool idea for some patter which I will share next week if it tests well.
Thanks Saysold going to give my gimmick the SF treatment 👍
I'm a bit interested in SF, I hear the applications are great. I think I saw a video of saysold1 at a party doing a card trick and I think I saw an SF double, which he is correct, doesn't look like a move at all. Might be my next buy.
I don't know much about SF and was interested as well. Just checked it out. $95 for a 400 ml spray can!?!? Holy moley!!! Where can I check out this video of saysold1 so I can see if this is really worth the money?
I can vouch for SF, especially for this effect. It's worth it's weight in Gold.
[quote]
On 2013-07-12 15:28, Knobz1 wrote:
I don't know much about SF and was interested as well. Just checked it out. $95 for a 400 ml spray can!?!? Holy moley!!! Where can I check out this video of saysold1 so I can see if this is really worth the money?
[/quote]Looks like at the end of the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltR8DAM4REk
[quote]
On 2013-07-12 14:33, saysold1 wrote:
SF allows cleaner DL's then most pros IMO.
[/quote]

Many Pro's....do terrible DL's. They get away with it because the emphasis is "out" to the audience. Non pro's look at the deck when they do DL's...so that's where the audience looks.
I think I'm very suffiecient at my Dl's and turnovers :)
I would say my Dls are well-honed. I've given them plenty of studied practice and I feel good about it at this point. That said, I also really like SF - some of the best $95 I've ever spent. It's not just the spray - the ideas that Kolle gives with it, and the ones you'll come up with as you experiment with it are priceless. SF has replaced, improved, or generated plenty of ideas I've had in the past. SF is just one more tool in the toolbox to help me create the best end effect I can, regardless of difficultly.

I'm sure in this case SF isn't needed to make the effect look amazing, but I also don't think it'll hurt either. The only thing to be wary of with SF in this case is that it is a spray, and anything in spray form added to a card does need maintenance. That it is something to keep in mind to ensure your performance doesn't go awry if you are relying on SF to do its thing and it fails on you mid-performance - you still should know a decent DL just in case. ;)
I wouldn't want the SF to mess with the gimmick. Maybe it's bets to go au naturel and just do a good DL?

Or use a thick card for training wheels. Your DL's will look as good as any Pro and you can slowly wean yourself off it.
[quote]
On 2013-07-12 16:13, Zombie Magic wrote:
I wouldn't want the SF to mess with the gimmick. Maybe it's bets to go au naturel and just do a good DL?

Or use a thick card for training wheels. Your DL's will look as good as any Pro and you can slowly wean yourself off it.
[/quote]

The spray is just below the gimmich area - it doesn't touch it whatsoever. It could also be applied using the lower template supplied.

I truly apologize to Peter Nardi for sidetrcking here but like anything I always like to share ideas among friends. I do strongly beleive that the pairing of SF with STC will make many Café members extremely happy with the pairing - and that should help our dear Peter sell more STC's.

Not a necessity by any means mind you... those who like it the traditional way - more power to ya.

SF in a way started out as a bit of an underground product - many poo poo'd it initially - too much money for the spray, similar to cheap plasti stuff, etc. It's popularity and the respect for what Cardshark and Alex Kolle created has grown exponentially with word of mouth.

As one of the first beta testers I reviewed it at great length - I agree with what others have said that the uses for this fantastic product are still being discovered. One can should last you MANY years.

I will post a video in the next week of a public STC performace with it and you guys can judge.

My very rough idea for routining this now is along the lines of:

Spectator chooses a card - signs it. Signed card turned over and outjogged.

Performer discusses an experiment involving hot and cold. The perfomer asks the spectator to stare and their signed card and imagine it getting colder and colder - the temparature of the card slowly dropping by 10 dregrees every few seconds. 70 degrees, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 degrees... imagine the card is now a think block of pure ice.

Now the performer suggests the the spectator imagines the Sharpie being heated... 70,80,90,100,110,120,130 degrees.

"If the card is now a thin sheet of ice, and the Sharpie is now truly hot... then the Sharpie should be able to melt through the signed card like a hot knife through butter," says the performer.

But over time many many
Great presentational idea, I wrote down a few notes myself about the Sharpie getting hotter and hotter and proving that their imagination is so strong they can push through the sharpie like butter. This then involves a lot of spectator involvement where they rub the end of the sharpie and hold their hand under the sharpies, so with enough by play and tongue in cheek they can feel the sharpie getting hotter. I'm hanging with a few magicians peeps this weekend so maybe I can get a performance shot this weekend.
Received mine today ...very well made
Could you....blow on your finger to warm it up and pass it through the card instead of the Sharpie®?
[quote]
On 2013-07-12 17:26, Zombie Magic wrote:
Could you....blow on your finger to warm it up and pass it through the card instead of the Sharpie®?
[/quote]

I don't think so...
It's so nice to receive a trick that is way better than you'd think it would be from the performance video.
What a brilliant application of a penetration effect with everyday objects. The workmanship is brilliant.
It's also nice when you purchase an effect that you know you can and will use. Thank you Peter for your dedication to quality magic.
I noted that you mentioned you'd have refills in about 6 months or so. It might be worthwhile to release them a bit earlier.
When something is this good, many of us would love to stock up for the future.
Amazing service from Alakazam Magic. I ordered my STC combo yesterday and it's just dropped through my letter box. Thank you Mr Nardi!
Thanks for replying Pete.

Looking forward to the Sherpa version - it will be the first trick I've bought in ages (it does get a tad boring buying just cards, rope and sponge balls). :(
My pleasure guys. Always here to help and Merc, the Sherpa version is really cool :)
I have found a great way of m****g the card gimmick so you know the proper orientation is putting a light pencil "dot" at the upper right corner of the initial face down side of the card (owners will understand) - similar to how you might do the ace in a Brainwave deck. I find this is better and maybe a little more stealthy than the idea Peter suggests. In this way you should always know the proper orientation and being in light pencil it is non permanent and only apparent to the performer.
It's very cool. I expect to break it or loose it within the month, but while I have it, very cool.
With proper use it should last a very long time. Of course I have no control over you losing it :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-13 12:46, Xcath1 wrote:
It's very cool. I expect to break it or loose it within the month, but while I have it, very cool.
[/quote]

Really? This seems quite tough.

How Bromley came up with this is beyond me really. Superb craftsmanship.

There isn't anything delicate about it other than the fact that I know a playing card is made of paper. But that may not be what is going on here.
It's made of paper? The ad doesn't say that. Uh, oh. The Café "Ad Police" are going to swarm in and demand revisions!
Your funny - playing cards are still made of paper as far as I know lol.
[quote]
On 2013-07-13 13:53, saysold1 wrote:
Your funny - playing cards are still made of paper as far as I know lol.
[/quote]

Playing cards are made of paper. The ad says "comes complete with custom gimmick". The Café Ad Police will say they thought is was space-age metal that would last a lifetime.

:sun:
That's all I meant. The gaff doesn't seem particularly delicate, just paper. I like your idea for the SF. I usually look away during my DL but of course there is a lot of heat on the card in this effect and you do get a really burnable effort free DL with the SF.
Just performed this tonight at a BBQ as my finale. It killed!!! Everybody freaked out and once I handed their signed card back everyones attention was focused on the sharpie and the signed card. They could have cared less about the deck. So I put the deck back in the box and into my pocket and it was a done deal. This is so much fun performing this for people!
Received my package today. The gimmick is beautifully made. My only disappointment is that I received a blue gimmick and I always use a red deck. There was nowhere for me to specify the color I wanted when I ordered.

ANYONE WANT TO TRADE COLORS?

-Ron
SF on the gimmick works great!
Thanks Saysold 👍
[quote]
On 2013-07-14 04:43, reignofsound wrote:
SF on the gimmick works great!
Thanks Saysold 👍
[/quote]

Your welcome!
Not that it really matters :) but should they want, the Card-Shark and Peter Nardi can thank me for suggesting combining SF with STC to make the DL much easier. I asked about this and got flamed in this thread, so unfortunately my original posting got deleted. But really, it is all about magicians helping magicians, right?

I love finding new places to use SF. It has made so many effects look better and more accessible to me. STC looks so much like just PURE magic and SF makes it that much better.
[quote]
On 2013-07-14 11:08, NYCJoePitt wrote:
Not that it really matters :) but should they want, the Card-Shark and Peter Nardi can thank me for suggesting combining SF with STC to make the DL much easier. I asked about this and got flamed in this thread, so unfortunately my original posting got deleted. But really, it is all about magicians helping magicians, right?

I love finding new places to use SF. It has made so many effects look better and more accessible to me. STC looks so much like just PURE magic and SF makes it that much better.
[/quote]

Well thank you NYC Joe! I never say mention of the SF so it must have been removed some time ago. Anyone like us who owns SF naturally wants to try experimenting with it when the opportunity arises.

I don't tjink you will hear Peter chiming in with a bear hug for Christian - but both of these guys put out some great material.

STC is working and playing really well - it's a powerful bit of eye candy.

I still can't get over how the heck Rob Bromley figured out how to make the gimmick - I am still marveling at it whenever I use it. It could not be more precision & perfect - it isn't 99% perfect, it is 100% perfect. How he can make these in quantity for the price offered?... boggles my mind.
Does the red backed card look as good as the blue? Typically with this type of gimmick blue tends to hide everything better, but I would prefer red if it looks just as good.
I've heard using a thick card below two regular cards makes for an easy double lift too if you don't want to mess around with expensive sprays.
Love this!
All the heat seems to be on the pen 👍
Genius 😄
Maybe, I just say maybe, it is the best trick of Mister Nardi.. Alright, it's not revolutionnary but it is amazing and people just love it ! Congrats again, can't wait to get mine :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-14 11:53, sabitu wrote:
Does the red backed card look as good as the blue? Typically with this type of gimmick blue tends to hide everything better, but I would prefer red if it looks just as good.
[/quote]

My red card is as close to perfect visually as I could desire.

I recommend holding the card at a slight angle when performing, but as the other guys say... heat is on the pen.
[quote]
[/quote]

I bought the combo and IMVHO both colours are equally well-camouflaged.
I perfomed this a couple times yesterday. I have my own personal patter that I'm really liking now :), find a presentation for this, it needs it.

I did this for a room of magicians and they love the look of it, Laymen's jaws literally dropped :)
Dam you guys. Looks like more of my cash is going today.
I've been playing with this as well. I added the SF as well and I have to admit it is an improvement. You certainly don't need SF to make this look good, but I've definitely found it worth adding to give it those extra subtle touches only SF can provide. It really is a great match.

Both red and blue cards are very well made and well-hidden. I wouldn't have any reservations based on card color. The gimmick is so precisely made it hurts. I've tried to make my own cigarette through card gimmick before, and it turned out alright (i.e. workable), but Bromley's precision here just makes my efforts look childish. I've really got to hand it to him - he delivered.

The bonus ideas/routines on the disc are nice as well. There were a couple of ideas I think may be overlooked, but they have really strong potential. Don't forget to watch the DVD to check those out!

Now for the real tests: 1) Wife test - she knows what the gimmick is, so no fooling her here, but the result was still positive. She said although she knew how it worked, the effect was still very cool and liked it a lot. 2) The layman test: I just did this similar to the Greg Wilson patter and followed up with a simple ACR. The result? A shocked look and after the effect is was "That was neat...but how'd you get the sharpie through my card? Can I see that marker again?" It was the highlight of the effect, even as a "throwaway" and the marker got all the heat.

End result: this is a great effect and coupled with Bromley's experience in making the gimmick, you are getting a real quality effect here that is workable. In addition, the card can be used for other effects/controls while in the deck, so don't forget that either. The "tests" are merely anecdotal, but I would expect similar results to whomever this is performed.

If you like what you see in the trailer and want to be able to do just that, get STC and you will NOT be disappointed. There are no nasty surprises here. :)
[quote]
On 2013-07-15 07:16, Foxlute wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I bought the combo and IMVHO both colours are equally well-camouflaged.
[/quote]

I received my package today, and I'm sorry I got the red. I can't imagine that it looks as good as the blue. Unfortunately, I ordered from Penguin, and wasn't given a choice. I guess I should have requested blue in the order notes. I'm going to see if I can exchange mine.
Hi,

The red and the blue gimmicks are the same. Shouldn't have a problem with either?

Peter
I agree. With my red I had to put he card close to my face to see the gimmick initially. Really.

Yes you can see it at a certain angle or light but its allignment is 99.99% perfect. As with any effect you should not be afraid of being caught when not chased.
It could be noted that the standard wide-body Sharpie is a great fit for this- the thinner fine-point Sharpie does not have the girth to hold the card.

If you use one of the many available handmade wooden wands (which usually taper wider from the tip), a great effect can be had by using the wand in lieu of the Sharpie. Angle management is much easier due to the wand going farther through the card. A great effect!
I think this is a great version of "cigarette through card" - updated for today's audiences with a Sharpie.

Rob Bromley really is one of the best "card engineers" in the world, as Peter says on the DVD. I've seen many gaffed cards similar to this, and this is one of the best.

Personally, I like Gregory Wilson's idea of using it as a quick trick - a "throwaway", if you will. But a very good one. I plan to use it.

My only complaint is the lack of crediting for one of the bonus effects - "Static". It's obviously the "Magnetized Cards" - a trick that is at least one hundred years old and was one of Nate Leipzig's favorites. Specifically, the Gary Plants version that he released in 2000. If you're going to use the gaffed card like this, then I'd use Gary's version.

Robert
PENGUIN Currently only has the RED gimmick and the COMBO pack available which gives you a red ond a blue. They told me they do not have the blue in stock at the moment. Anyone know where I can purchase a blue gimmick TODAY? I WANT THIS!
Just ordered mine today - can't wait to play with it! Here's an idea to play with....remember the black hole bugs bunny used (or was it the roadrunner?) anyway...have someone draw a dime-sized black hole on the face of a card, do the DT and voila....then hand it back to them and let them have their "moment of astonishment." I also like the "heat" idea, too.
Kaylan
I think I could care less about the Gregory Wilson throwaway.

I have now performed this 20 times, gosh that's excessive.

I've done 10 built up performances of this and then 10 performances of throwaways, nothing beats the built up version of it. I have a couple jokes and patter along the way that really get this to work. It really deserves a presentation.
Well the combo pack is officially sold out as well.

Apparently blue is more popular than red as the red is the only version left in stock, at least at Penguin.

I wanted blue dang it!
Kaliix-

From what I was told by penguin is that they never even received the BLUE in stock at all. They only got the RED and the COMBO pack. They too, are waiting for the BLUE to come in.
[quote]
On 2013-07-16 11:35, Kaliix wrote:
Well the combo pack is officially sold out as well.

Apparently blue is more popular than red as the red is the only version left in stock, at least at Penguin.

I wanted blue dang it!
[/quote]

On these types of gimmicks that match either red or blue backs, it seems that the dealers have finally started to routinely offer these in a combo pack for a reduced price.
I am happy to see this and have always thought it should be done. I am certain it has been done in the past but it seemed to be fairly rare.
That way you are ready to go regardless of deck color. I buy bricks of Bicycles at Costco and they come with red and blue so I use both interchangeably.
I wish Extractor had had this option, or if it did I never saw it. I got a blue Extractor which is all that seems to be available now.
I know there are instructions on the DVD to change the box, but I want 2 of them so would have to buy another anyway and then make it up in red.
I would rather just buy a red one already made.
I just ordered the STC combo pack from Penguin a couple days ago and it has shipped so perhaps I got the last one.
Can't wait to get it as this has gotten such rave reviews.

Peter Nardi, any red boxes available for Extractor?
Thanks,
Bill
Hi Guys,

We have all versions in stock at http://www.alakazam.co.uk

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-16 14:28, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guys,

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Whats your shipping cost to the states?
I asked for Penguin to send me blue this morning, and I watched the video of them packaging my STC and it sure looked blue to me (the guy with the white gloves even pointed out the blue sticker on the front of the packaging), so they probably got more in. I specifically asked for blue prior to confirming payment, which is what they told me to do several days ago, and it seems to have worked :) If it comes to me in red, I'll let you guys know, but I feel confident it will be blue.
[quote]
On 2013-07-15 16:25, Shadowmoor wrote:
It could be noted that the standard wide-body Sharpie is a great fit for this- the thinner fine-point Sharpie does not have the girth to hold the card.

If you use one of the many available handmade wooden wands (which usually taper wider from the tip), a great effect can be had by using the wand in lieu of the Sharpie. Angle management is much easier due to the wand going farther through the card. A great effect!
[/quote]

I have no problem with a fine point sharpie?
[quote]
On 2013-07-16 14:28, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi Guys,

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Peter,
Does this apply to Extractor as well, or only STC?
Thanks,
Bill
Hi Bill,

Sorry STC only. We have a new Extractor coming later this year.

Regards

Peter
New extractor :-(
I just bought mine haha
Won't be out until at least December 2013

Peter
I just received this and it is very impressive! The quality is superb!
KJ
It would be churlish, having got it today, not to give a big thumbs up.

Alakazam x (Bromley+Nardi) = Great Magic.

Well done fellas. Great service from Alakazam as ever.

Tom
Really glad you're all liking STC. Keep you eyes open for more Bromley/Nardi magic coming soon :)

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-17 15:40, Peter Nardi wrote:
Really glad you're all liking STC. Keep you eyes open for more Bromley/Nardi magic coming soon :)

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

I'm afraid!
Oh no! There goes my magic budget again.... ;)
Received my combo pack STC today, and all I can say is...WOW!!!
I've been purchasing magic effects for over 40 years.
I've bought so many gimmicks I lost count long ago. Every thing from large scale illusions to Todd Lassen coins.
But this just may be the most well-made, most precision, most deceptive, and smoothest working gimmick I have ever seen in my life!
Both the red and blue look equally perfect.
I haven't watched the DVD yet, but even if one wasn't included I would still feel like I received way more than my money's worth.
I'm so glad I got the combo set. I may still buy another for back-up.
I am very rarely this over the moon about a product but it really is that good IMHO.
Just so you know, I am generally a pretty harsh critic of gimmicks like this, and I am not affiliated with Peter Nardi, Rob Bromley, Alakazam magic, or anyone involved with this product.
If this thing holds up, and it looks like it definitely will beyond any reasonable expectation (but it is made out of card stock after all) then I may have to vote for it as my absolute favorite magic gimmick of all time. I honestly don't care if my spectators hate it, I LOVE it. This is WAY too cool.
Thanks Peter and Rob, I like most all of your effects, but this one was a grand slam in the bottom of the ninth! (for the Brits and others who may not understand that expression, it means it's extraordinary.)
Whew, can't believe I just gushed so much praise on this. That is out of character for me. Alright then, I took a deep breath, so now I will reiterate and say that it's...not bad.
Bill

I will now repeat the cliche that I was certain I never would.
"Don't think about it, just click on Add to Cart. You will not regret it."
Wow!! Thanks for the review Bill
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Jul 18, 2013 03:33AM)
Sorry if this question has already been asked:
Can the card be examined by the audience after having been performed?
What are the limitations, if any?
Yes, the card they signed can be examined. And of course, it is the same(?) card you put the Sharpie through.

You can give that card away, every time.

Sorry to be opaque, but I hope that is clear enough.
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Jul 18, 2013 06:09AM)
Tomsk,
Yes, your answer is clear, more or less, thank you.
More or less because what do you mean by "same(?) card" ? (If explaining it does not reveal the secret.)
Or, in other words - can they handle the card while the sharpie goes through?
Same(?) card as in 'not actually the same'. It should be the same from the audience's POV, however.

They could, possibly, hold the edge of the card, or preferably hold the Sharpie as you pull the card off it.

This is a gaff, clearly, and does need to be handled accordingly.The perception should be that not only do they handle the card, they even get to keep it if they wish.
Message: Posted by: richard_mentalism (Jul 18, 2013 07:20AM)
Tomsk,
Thank you once again for your clear response.
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 07:40, tomsk192 wrote:
Same(?) card as in 'not actually the same'. It should be the same from the audience's POV, however.

They could, possibly, hold the edge of the card, or preferably hold the Sharpie as you pull the card off it.

This is a gaff, clearly, and does need to be handled accordingly.The perception should be that not only do they handle the card, they even get to keep it if they wish.
[/quote]

I think allowing the spectator to hold the Sharpie is probably better than holding the card imo.
Me too!
[quote]
I have no problem with a fine point sharpie?
[/quote]

I actually use the extra fine point Sharpies- the pens bodies do not have enough circumference to grip the card. The effect is better with a longer object anyway (more object underneath the card to be seen without worrying about angles) as long as that object has a reason to be in the picture at the time. This is great to use after coming out of a routine which utilizes the wand in a more traditional manner...
Strange as mine grip the card no problem
I would be afraid to let them grip the card as they might feel the thickness of the card or know that something is off. Sharpie is much safer to let them handle in my opinion.
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 12:59, Knobz1 wrote:
I would be afraid to let them grip the card as they might feel the thickness of the card or know that something is off. Sharpie is much safer to let them handle in my opinion.
[/quote]

Plus you want them to immediately take the sharpie and direct heat off the card while you prepare to hand them their signed card.
Them holding the sharpie just makes better sense all around.
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 13:35, videoman wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Plus you want them to immediately take the sharpie and direct heat off the card while you prepare to hand them their signed card.
[/quote]

The reference was to the extra-fine Sharpies not having the circumference of the regulars, thereby not 'gripping' the card properly, meaning they will penetrate all the way through the card (hmm... maybe there's an alternate effect there). Try using a normal pencil and you will get the same restult. I do have the spec hold the wand while I remove the card in a quick, fluid motion, though.
Got mine this week.
Added to my performance and got great great reactions!
Jaw dropping trick.

The only thing you have to be careful is with the lights.

This trick is wicked!

Fernando.
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 13:47, Shadowmoor wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 13:35, videoman wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The reference was to the extra-fine Sharpies not having the circumference of the regulars, thereby not 'gripping' the card properly, meaning they will penetrate all the way through the card (hmm... maybe there's an alternate effect there). Try using a normal pencil and you will get the same restult. I do have the spec hold the wand while I remove the card in a quick, fluid motion, though.
[/quote]

The diameter of the hole idealy fits the Sharpie at varying lengths - and adds perfectly to the illusion of the pen literally "melting" through the card - the visuals are perfect with a Sharpie.
Remarkable by Richard Sanders and S.T.C. are wonderful ttogether for a magical experience.

Joe
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 19:48, Joemv wrote:
Remarkable by Richard Sanders and S.T.C. are wonderful ttogether for a magical experience.

Joe
[/quote]

In that the spectator gets a true moment of magic after a moment of utter s***e?

Tom
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 19:57, tomsk192 wrote:

In that the spectator gets a true moment of magic after a moment of utter s***e?

Tom
[/quote]

I take it you are not a fan of Remarkable?
Actually I'm not sure what you mean.
But if I were to combine the two I would probably do STC as a stand alone effect first, and then use Remarkable as a surprise kicker and show the pen now says their card.
Aww, I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I don't even own Remarkable.
Have to admit though that I have always liked the idea of having specs sign a forced card in effects where you can do this. It seems to pacify even the real suspicious types, and increase their amazement.
I love STC and the gimmick . . . except for one thing. It's not simple for me to ditch the gimmick, which because of its stiffness is hard for me to palm off the deck. I'd love to hear how all of you handle this. You can just answer this post, or send me a PM if a reply here might expose something.
Thanks!

Spike
For me it's a closer in my set. So there is not need to ditch the gimmick, I leave the spectator hodling the sharpie and their card and I put deck in the box and put it away.

I did this for a room full of people, the reactions were awesome!

It also passed the girlfriend test.
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 15:41, nspikito wrote:
I love STC and the gimmick . . . except for one thing. It's not simple for me to ditch the gimmick, which because of its stiffness is hard for me to palm off the deck. I'd love to hear how all of you handle this. You can just answer this post, or send me a PM if a reply here might expose something.
Thanks!

Spike
[/quote]

Why would you want to palm the gimmick off the deck? There's no need.
I have a very simple clean up idea for STC which gets the gimmick out of play. I will up load it to YouTube.

Regards

Peter
If you really wanted to and you have other touines you need to perform, you could simply strip out the jokers to the top of the deck and load the gimmick card and the two jokers in the card box.
I just cut it back into the deck after I hand them their card or put the cards back in the box. 👍
Same here
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 04:11, reignofsound wrote:
I just cut it back into the deck after I hand them their card or put the cards back in the box. 👍
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 16:07, Peter Nardi wrote:
I have a very simple clean up idea for STC which gets the gimmick out of play. I will up load it to YouTube.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]
Thanks, Peter. I'd like to see what you have in mind. I really don't like the idea of leaving it in the deck, for many obvious reasons, if I go onto other card effects, which I am likely to do.
Spike
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 15:53, pegasus wrote

[/quote]

The stiffness of the gimmick plus its unusual appearance (you know what I mean) make it problematic for other card effects.
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 16:15, Blindside785 wrote:
If you really wanted to and you have other touines you need to perform, you could simply strip out the jokers to the top of the deck and load the gimmick card and the two jokers in the card box.
[/quote]

Good suggestion! I'll play with that.

Spike
[quote]

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Where should I look on YouTube, Peter? The AlakazamUkTv channel? Thanks.
I will be working this at a gig today, STC already has my vote for product of the year for 2013.
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 08:50, nspikito wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 15:53, pegasus wrote

[/quote]

The stiffness of the gimmick plus its unusual appearance (you know what I mean) make it problematic for other card effects.
[/quote]
Understood. I thought you were palming off the card just so you could hand the deck out for inspection.
My method is the same a Blindsides. I will film it if needed guys.
[quote]
On 2013-07-20 11:36, Peter Nardi wrote:
My method is the same a Blindsides. I will film it if needed guys.
[/quote]

Seeing the creator do it would be insightful for all of us, if you don't mind.
Thanks, Peter.

Spike
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 22:17, videoman wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-18 19:57, tomsk192 wrote:

Tom
[/quote]

I take it you are not a fan of Remarkable?
Actually I'm not sure what you mean.
But if I were to combine the two I would probably do STC as a stand alone effect first, and then use Remarkable as a surprise kicker and show the pen now says their card.
Aww, I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I don't even own Remarkable.
Have to admit though that I have always liked the idea of having specs sign a forced card in effects where you can do this. It seems to pacify even the real suspicious types, and increase their amazement.
[/quote]

I get you. I was being rather heavy handed, and it is entirely subjective. We all have our pet hates; bar codes, Sharpie markers, specially printed playing cards? They are my pet hates. Just too obvious, in a very particular way.

I suppose I believe that the experience of wonder is quite a raw moment combined with a lasting sense of wonder.

If I did that kind of revelation, I would want to revert to normal, with no visible moves.

Tom
This is a fantastic product, great eye candy! I think whether you should ditch the gimmick depends on what effects you want to follow up with. Peter Nardi (thank you for this release, by the way!) shows you what to do on the accompanying DVD, so if you buy it, you will at least have an idea of how to accomplish the removal of the gimmick without your participants' (aka "spectators") awareness. Also, IMO, all the heat should either be on the marker or most likely, their selected card...not the deck.
Kaylan
Or if you have a t.k.o you can ditch with that
So, have any of you guys got a video clip of your performance of STC? Would love to see it.

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-23 01:59, Peter Nardi wrote:
So, have any of you guys got a video clip of your performance of STC? Would love to see it.

Peter
[/quote]

Il be doing one shortly.

This is a nice little trick and its really easy to do. Id give it a 8/10 and definitely a trick Il be performing regularly.
Please keep it off the tube place.I know too late!but do we need yet more butchered DL's up there.
[quote]
On 2013-07-23 07:25, Libertus wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-07-23 01:59, Peter Nardi wrote:

Peter
[/quote]

Il be doing one shortly.

This is a nice little trick and its really easy to do. Id give it a 8/10 and definitely a trick Il be performing regularly.
[/quote]

Great. Lets just put everything on !@#$%^& youtube for all to see. Why do we need this? There's a demo for people to watch. Why you're encouraging half assed performances to be posted I don't know.
Who mentioned Youtube?
[quote]

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

You did!! LOL
Ha! :)
[quote]

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Great! I assume you'll put it on the AlakazamMagicUK YouTube page? And will you please let us know once it's posted? Thanks!
I put any videos like this up as a private video and will gladly provide the link to anyone who has purchased the effect.

Regards

Peter
Sounds good. How would you like for us to provide proof of purchase?
As soon as the video is up I will let you know
Ordered STC on Sunday from Alakazam and it arrived this morning (Tuesday) - so once again great service and delivery!
I just wanted to say the gimmick is truly a work of art! The precision and craftsmanship that has gone into making this
thing is nothing short of astonishing. Rob Bromley - Take a bow!

Can't wait to get out and start performing with this on the weekend.
Mr Bromley is indeed the worlds best playing card engineer. He never fails to amaze me.
I had a chance to handle the gimmick and this is just amazing ! great quality at a great price :)
Any date yet for the Sherpa version Pete?
You can see a performance at the beginning of this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnzzkn76fK8 :)
What does Sherpa mean?

magiclee
It's something produced by CardShark (I think) which is put on a sharpie pen to make it look more elegant.. Like a case if you want :) here is a link :

http://www.card-shark.de/?page=21&lang=en&shop=true&Category=9
[quote]
On 2013-07-23 16:16, Peter Nardi wrote:
Mr Bromley is indeed the worlds best playing card engineer. He never fails to amaze me.
[/quote]

Well Peter,

I doubt that you ever handled this one here: http://youtu.be/F96Y4HSCdLo
*smile*
[quote]
On 2013-07-23 08:04, Peter Nardi wrote:
Who mentioned Youtube?
[/quote]

Certainly not me. I don't know why the other members are getting furious when I did not even mention uploading it to YT, at least not publicly.
Hi Cardmaker, looks nice.

Regards

Peter
Hey Peter Nardi,

I have a question for you. I recently purchased the RED STC gimmick and for some reason, my "gimmick" is obvious now and this was evident when I tried it with 5 people, 3 of them spotted it and they weren't even "paying attention properly". I compared this to a friends who had this also recently (he had the blue version) and his one looks much more better.

I am not sure why but mine started good but Ive used it about 15 times so far and its starting to become more obvious.

I was wanting to ask if you could kindly send me a BLUE replacement possibly? I made the order via Alakazam. My mates blue one looks much better than the red I have and mine is quite "easily" seen (if you know what I mean)

NOTICE TO EVERYONE ELSE - This effect KILLS all the time. Although Ive had the odd situation 3 times, the rest of the times this trick just simply puts my specs in a moment of shock for about 4-5 seconds whilst the pen is inside the card. The fact that you can end clean is great and like me, with a few days practice you will easily start picking this up. I plan to practice for another month before doing this to REAL people in the real world. I recently had purchased Wedge and honestly, I wasnt given the "wow factor" with that - but STC just has and right now, this is the BEST TRICK OF 2013 SO FAR! - Peter Nardi has bought out a killer!

P.N - please let me know what you can do for me. Hoping for the best.
Hi,

IMO the red gimmicks are equally as perfect as the blue. In fact we use a red at Alakazam as our in-store demo (and I use red when I perform). Having said that if there is a manufacturing fault with your gimmick we will gladly replace it for you. Give the shop a call on Monday (please have your order number to hand)

BestRegards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 15:36, Peter Nardi wrote:
Hi,

IMO the red gimmicks are equally as perfect as the blue. In fact we use a red at Alakazam as our in-store demo (and I use red when I perform). Having said that if there is a manufacturing fault with your gimmick we will gladly replace it for you. Give the shop a call on Monday (please have your order number to hand)

BestRegards

Peter
[/quote]

Thanks, will do!

If someone can maybe also send me a photo of their red gimmick close up if they have time Id be able to compare it - thanks!
I like this but wondering how long the gimmick will hold up.
The Gimmick should last a very long time. I'm sure owners of STC will back me up on the quality of the gimmick.

Regards

Peter
I've been using this for two nights now, yes the gimmick will last a very long time, and the reactions, well they are amazing and I really mean that.

This is visually stunning and you can slot it straight into your existing routine, or you can use this as a stand alone effect. 'Brilliant'

Gary Jones.
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 12:31, CardMaker wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Well Peter,

*smile*
[/quote]

I must admit, that this Version looks much more realistic and impressive as Peter's. Sharpie Version. The Card can be shown front and back.

Very well done Cardmaker:)))

Can it be done also with a Pen?
Pete,

Sorry geez, you may have missed my post.

When is the Sherpa version due out mate?
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 17:17, bowers wrote:
I like this but wondering how long the gimmick will hold up.
[/quote]

A LONG time... it is an amazing gimmick. I 100% promise that this product will FAR exceed expectations Bowers.
Hi Merc,

They should me on the site for pre-order this week. Expected in stock 2-3 weeks mate.

Regards

Peter
Any plans to make this in phoenix back?
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 20:59, rasmus wrote:

I must admit, that this Version looks much more realistic and impressive as Peter's. Sharpie Version. The Card can be shown front and back.

Very well done Cardmaker:)))

Can it be done also with a Pen?
[/quote]

Sure! Anything with the same diameter of a cigarette will work.
A pen. A rolled up banknote.
I bought this effect in the 80s, but I cant remember who the maker/shop was. I still have it and it works..
Can someone please tell me what the Sherpa version is?
The Sherpa version is designed to handle the diameter of a Sherpa Pen case.

Cardmaker. Mark Mason had a version of cig thru card many years ago and with Marks you could also show both sides. Nice idea but over kill and too restricting for me.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-07-27 07:43, Peter Nardi wrote:
The Sherpa version is designed to handle the diameter of a Sherpa Pen case.

Cardmaker. Mark Mason had a version of cig thru card many years ago and with Marks you could also show both sides. Nice idea but over kill and too restricting for me.

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

So we can essentially put the whole pen through right? And I assume the spectators don't see the "gimmick" whilst we're doing it?
[quote]
On 2013-07-19 15:45, Blindside785 wrote:
It also passed the girlfriend test.
[/quote]

Enough said.. I'm in!
Im sold.
Used this as an opener yesterday, it kills !
[quote]
On 2013-07-26 12:31, CardMaker wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Well Peter,

*smile*

[/quote]

I like how you can see underneath as well,are they for sale at all?
The cardmaker one looks "cleaner" but not more visual, not as "eye popping" as STC is, sorry.
Would love a Phoenix version
[quote]
On 2013-07-28 11:12, VIEW wrote:
Would love a Phoenix version
[/quote]

I doubt that will happen - would be cool, but highly unlikely imo.

Peter?
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes they are for sale.Go to his avatar and his web site is at the bottom.
Todd
[quote]
On 2013-07-28 11:02, Alex DLF wrote:
The cardmaker one looks "cleaner" but not more visual, not as "eye popping" as STC is, sorry.
[/quote]

But you can see underneath and looks just as inpressive, visual wise just the same, sharpie through card and showing the face of the card as well pretty cool.Signed card could be used but obviously done a little different without giving to much away.Peter's and the Cardmakers are real cool that's for sure,
[quote]
On 2013-07-28 12:08, bowers wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]
Yes they are for sale.Go to his avatar and his web site is at the bottom.
Todd
[/quote]

Many thanks Todd,gotta get both I would say,all the best Shane
I don't think there is any need at all to "see" underneath - when I have performned this the spectators could care less. I think it is we as Magicians that may feel the need to prove - maybe unnecessarily.

When the see the pen penetrate, they can see the pen on the other side of the card. They also just handled and signed their card prior so the card should be innocent.

As others have said the pen is suspect.

Cardmaker's version doesn't necessarily improve things imo (and I love Cardmaker btw).
Agreed SaySold.

If you really feel that you need to show the other side of the card, I'd suggest that more practice time needs to be spent upon either a decent top change or DL, timing and misdirection.
And the Sherpa version is now on pre order !
[quote]
On 2013-07-28 19:05, saysold1 wrote:
Cardmaker's version doesn't necessarily improve things imo (and I love Cardmaker btw).
[/quote]

I agree. Looks beautiful but card cannot be signed and still you have to swap it. STC makes it easier to swap.
Very nicely done, Peter. I've finally got my STC a few days ago. Superb crafting.
Picked this up yesterday. Very well made and devious. Great job Peter!!

RNK
Today I received my Copy of Cardmaker's Version. I have to say - it looks fantastic!!! The card can be wonderful shown from both sides. Thank you Cardmaker!!!
Easy to do and the audience is amazed... Highly recommended!!!
[quote]
On 2013-08-02 13:52, WizTom wrote:
Today I received my Copy of Cardmaker's Version. I have to say - it looks fantastic!!! The card can be wonderful shown from both sides. Thank you Cardmaker!!!
[/quote]

Maybe you could start a separate thread, what do you reckon?
To me personally STC ticks the boxes for a worker. No force, any card and instantly repeatable. That's what I aim for with my magic.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-08-02 13:52, WizTom wrote:
[/quote]

Do you also own STC?
Yes, I also own "STC". And I love it too!
I own both as well.Cardmakers version is good to have for those who have seen the Dave Solomon/Rob Bromley/Peter Nardi version.
Of course there is no need to show underneath but if you keep doing this at a regular gig someone is bound to ask.
[quote]
On 2013-08-04 11:04, Markymark wrote:
I own both as well.Cardmakers version is good to have for those who have seen the Dave Solomon/Rob Bromley/Peter Nardi version.
Of course there is no need to show underneath but if you keep doing this at a regular gig someone is bound to ask.
[/quote]

Let us also remember a cigarette is NOT a Sharpie. I don't smoke, so that's why I chose STC. It's definitely time to move CTC to its own thread.
Sure,we are getting a bit sidetracked.But a pencil or crayon is not a million miles away!!
Message: Posted by: christopher whitelock (Aug 4, 2013 04:46PM)
I have purchased it recently and yes it is not new idea but can fit nicely into the way I work
[quote]
On 2013-08-03 08:05, Peter Nardi wrote:
To me personally STC ticks the boxes for a worker. No force, any card and instantly repeatable. That's what I aim for with my magic.
Peter
[/quote]

All well and good, and a visually stunning effect. My main challenge in using STC is justifying it, making it a logical element of an effect, rather than just a shocking piece of eye candy.
So far I have used it after a signed-card to wallet effect, when I say something like, "Notice I had you sign the face, not the back, of the card, because from the back a marker like this can melt its way right thru a playing card."
I'm curious how others incorporate the STC display into their presentations.

Spike
[quote]
On 2013-08-05 09:40, nspikito wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-03 08:05, Peter Nardi wrote:
Peter
[/quote]

All well and good, and a visually stunning effect. My main challenge in using STC is justifying it, making it a logical element of an effect, rather than just a shocking piece of eye candy.
So far I have used it after a signed-card to wallet effect, when I say something like, "Notice I had you sign the face, not the back, of the card, because from the back a marker like this can melt its way right thru a playing card."
I'm curious how others incorporate the STC display into their presentations.

Spike
[/quote]

I use the fantastic Black Hole presentation on the DVD now as a stand alone piece or as a prelude to a longer routine.
I received my STC 3 days ago and now (since yesterday), after some good rehearsal and a few performances, I'm encountering an issue. Sometimes when I remove the Sharpie from the card, the end-position of the gimmick is not correct which immediately blows the effect (if you have encountered this problem I think you know what I mean). It keeps occurring more often now. It's has now come to the point that it is un-performable

Does anyone recognize this problem?
STC with OMNI PEN..Try it :)
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 13:28, Steven70s wrote:
I received my STC 3 days ago and now (since yesterday), after some good rehearsal and a few performances, I'm encountering an issue. Sometimes when I remove the Sharpie from the card, the end-position of the gimmick is not correct which immediately blows the effect (if you have encountered this problem I think you know what I mean). It keeps occurring more often now. It's has now come to the point that it is un-performable

[/quote]

I been using my personal copy of STC for months now and have not had this problem. Maybe there is a fault with your gimmick. Where did you purchase it?

Regards

Peter
Steven70s,
I am sure Peter will fix you up but if your X is sticking you may try removing the pen a little faster. I find it needs a little momentum to always seat properly. It should work even if you remove it slowly but it doesn't always.
[quote]

[/quote]

I get this too.

I might just order another one to see if its just a defect.
[quote]
On 2013-08-07 09:09, Xcath1 wrote:
Steven70s,
I am sure Peter will fix you up but if your X is sticking you may try removing the pen a little faster. I find it needs a little momentum to always seat properly. It should work even if you remove it slowly but it doesn't always.
[/quote]

Agree.
[quote]
On 2013-08-06 19:17, Peter Nardi wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I been using my personal copy of STC for months now and have not had this problem. Maybe there is a fault with your gimmick. Where did you purchase it?

Regards

Peter
[/quote]

Thanks for your response.

I've sent some more details to you pm-inbox (because they might reveal the secret) as well as a picture of the "broken" gimmick. I've bought my copy of STC at Dynamite Magicshop (The Netherlands).

- Steven
[quote]
On 2013-08-07 09:09, Xcath1 wrote:
Steven70s,
[/quote]

I understand what you mean but that is not the problem. I did however experience what you described and also used the same solution. But it wasn't a real problem to me.

With my little situation, when I remove the sharpie faster, the exposure is almost guaranteed. It's not a little off (as in the above situation), but totally off postiition. I'd rather not go in to much detail as it might reveal the secret of the effect.
[quote]
On 2013-08-07 10:48, Libertus wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I get this too.

I might just order another one to see if its just a defect.
[/quote]

I also ordered another copy of the STC. I hope it was just a fault in my gimmick and that this one will last longer. I can't imagine that it broke because of how I handeled it.
Do you also have this weird/annoying noise when the pen is penetrating the card?
[quote]
On 2013-08-10 05:13, doriancaudal wrote:
Do you also have this weird/annoying noise when the pen is penetrating the card?
[/quote]Kinda of like a "squealing" noise?
[quote]
[/quote]

I did. It kinda stopped after the first day. Not sure if it stopped because I inserted it in some different way, or because of some form of wearing.
[quote]
[/quote]
Yes, which adds to the effect as far as I'm concerned.
[quote]
On 2013-08-10 19:42, pegasus wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Yes, which adds to the effect as far as I'm concerned. It's not the gimmick, its just the natural sound that would be heard if an object was to melt thru a card.
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
Yes, which adds to the effect as far as I'm concerned. It's not the gimmick, its just the natural sound that would be heard if an object was to melt thru a card.
[/quote]

Hmmm.. I like the effect way better when there is no sound. It feel really smooth then. I don't think it really matters that much for the spectators reaction.
.........Anyone else having trouble playing the DVD on a TV recorder? Mine only plays on a computer.
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 06:27, Steven70s wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Hmmm.. I like the effect way better when there is no sound. It feel really smooth then. I don't think it really matters that much for the spectators reaction.
[/quote]

No sounds wouldn't make sense. The pen is penetrating and rubbing the card. Silence would be odd.

Visually STC looks like the card is gobbling up the pen. The noise heard makes the illusion complete.
The combo pack in Penguin has run out, I think it is due to their new Penguin Five.

Oh, maybe it's OOT or perhaps it is not in particular order, but Peter's name is on the top of their featured pros list. :D
I'm agreeing up above, the noise it makes going through just adds to the illusion even more.
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 20:20, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 06:27, Steven70s wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

No sounds wouldn't make sense. The pen is penetrating and rubbing the card. Silence would be odd.

Visually STC looks like the card is gobbling up the pen. The noise heard makes the illusion complete.
[/quote]

You make a good point.

For those interested in the Sherpa STC... It's available for pre-order.

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/product-Sharpie-thru-card-Sherpa-edition-red.html
Hmmm... To me, no noise is more "realistic". Not that I really care one way or the other, though! :)
[quote]
On 2013-08-13 10:47, Chessmann wrote:
Hmmm... To me, no noise is more "realistic". Not that I really care one way or the other, though! :)
[/quote]

Do you have STC my friend Chessman?

The "noise" is really like a lightly screechy sound which is precisely what your eyes and ears might expect.

Visuually it looks like the edges tightly hug all sides of the pen - and to me it looks like the sides adjust slightly to the size of the pen as it penetrates as an optical illusion of sorts. The gimmick is so well made (as we know) that there is literally no space or gap that can be seen at the sides. If there were a gap, then yes it would make complete sense I agree for near total silence.

But the "tightness" is obvious while watching the effect - hence the slight squeeky sounds (the tone of which changes slightly as the pen is inserted in and out) perfectly matches what the eyes see.

Maybe I am over analyzing... but STC "syncs" idealy from a sound & sight perspective - which is one of the things that makes it so special.
Must admit never ever had an issue with noise.
If I go in a angle it does make a slight noise. If I go stright down it don't make a sound. If you don't like the noise play with the angle that the pen goes in.
Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Sherpa Edition should be in stock next week.

Regards

Peter
[quote]
On 2013-06-23 18:35, Markymark wrote:
I remember reading in a David Solomon book about a great idea by Danny Orleans.As a non-smoker he used a piece of wood shaped like a
cigarette and called it a 'Healing stick'.
[/quote]

You are correct. I still do this effect with a wooden stick and a gaffed card. Sharpie is a terrific idea. Wish I'd thought of it. You can see a short clip of me performing this on the video on my http://www.corporatemagicltd.com site called RECEPTION MAGIC. I follow it up with Cornelius' Perfect Pen.
Like your style Danny.
Mine is on the way whoopee..
Todd
[quote]
On 2013-08-11 19:23, mercedesrules wrote:
.........Anyone else having trouble playing the DVD on a TV recorder? Mine only plays on a computer.
[/quote]Yes and I have a Sony Blu-ray that is suppose to play anything. Just ordered V Deck, I hope I don't have to watch that in the office too!?
I got this the other day and I'm very happy with it. the gimmick is very well made.

I like the idea of the drawing the black hole on the card.

however, I was wondering if anyone has ever used black plastic for a removeable hole? you know that plastic stuff that isn't sticky, but it clings to stuff? like the stuff that comes on a computer monitor or TV when you get one brand new so that it doesn't get scratched and covered in dust and stuff? or the plastic you put over your smart phone so you don't ruin your screen? if you got that stuff, but maybe spray painted it black, would that work?

I would have this on the gimmick already. they sign their card. I show them the a "portable hole" ... I put it on the back of their card... then I put their card face up on the deck. and say "ok, your signature is on this side... turnover... and we put the hole on the other side"... then put the sharpie through the card. then turn the card over again, show the signiture and then take the plastic off... then you can go into an ambitious card routine or any other signed card effect and the back of the card is back to normal. you can probably easily ditch the gimmick as well while they are examining their card and the sharpie.

because I love that idea of the "fake hole" that becomes real like in the cartoons. and I want to use this trick before going into an ACR... but obviously you can't do an ACR with a black circle on the back made with a sharpie.

the other option is to just get a bunch of black circle stickers printed out. my girlfriend has a machine that looks like a printer except that it cuts out shapes on paper with a blade... so she could take a piece of black vinyl sticker paper and cut a bunch of circles the correct size. this would work except obviously I'd have to carry around sheets of stickers instead of just one piece of plastic that I can re-use. and I wouldn't want something so sticky that would make it hard to peal off afterwords. alternatively, I could use this a finale... put the sticker on, do the penetration... then they get to keep their card with the sticker on it... so then they'll have a souvenir and they'll tell people that I put a marker through the "hole" on the back of the card.
Sorry if I'm being dumb and/or it's already been covered but there's talk a few pages back about combining this with SF. Is SF an effect and if so what does it stand for?
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 12:36, TimEden wrote:
Sorry if I'm being dumb and/or it's already been covered but there's talk a few pages back about combining this with SF. Is SF an effect and if so what does it stand for?
[/quote]SF stands for Science Friction. You can learn more about it here: http://www.sciencefrictionspray.com/ :)
[quote]
On 2013-08-22 22:15, AdamChance wrote:
I got this the other day and I'm very happy with it. the gimmick is very well made.

I like the idea of the drawing the black hole on the card.

however, I was wondering if anyone has ever used black plastic for a removeable hole? you know that plastic stuff that isn't sticky, but it clings to stuff? like the stuff that comes on a computer monitor or TV when you get one brand new so that it doesn't get scratched and covered in dust and stuff? or the plastic you put over your smart phone so you don't ruin your screen? if you got that stuff, but maybe spray painted it black, would that work?

I would have this on the gimmick already. they sign their card. I show them the a "portable hole" ... I put it on the back of their card... then I put their card face up on the deck. and say "ok, your signature is on this side... turnover... and we put the hole on the other side"... then put the sharpie through the card. then turn the card over again, show the signiture and then take the plastic off... then you can go into an ambitious card routine or any other signed card effect and the back of the card is back to normal. you can probably easily ditch the gimmick as well while they are examining their card and the sharpie.

because I love that idea of the "fake hole" that becomes real like in the cartoons. and I want to use this trick before going into an ACR... but obviously you can't do an ACR with a black circle on the back made with a sharpie.

the other option is to just get a bunch of black circle stickers printed out. my girlfriend has a machine that looks like a printer except that it cuts out shapes on paper with a blade... so she could take a piece of black vinyl sticker paper and cut a bunch of circles the correct size. this would work except obviously I'd have to carry around sheets of stickers instead of just one piece of plastic that I can re-use. and I wouldn't want something so sticky that would make it hard to peal off afterwords. alternatively, I could use this a finale... put the sticker on, do the penetration... then they get to keep their card with the sticker on it... so then they'll have a souvenir and they'll tell people that I put a marker through the "hole" on the back of the card.
[/quote]

Personally I think what makes STC so powerful as an effect is the fact that the spectator does not expect a hole to be there at all - or one to be created and then healed. Showing a hole prior might be fine but I find that the gasps one gets when performing STC is directly related to something happening which is sudden and unexpected.
This is from my Facebook page from the other day...

Following on from my review for Paul Gordon's awesome 'The Ultimate Sting' another effect I've been using for the last three weeks or so is Peter Nardi's STC (Sharpie Through Card). In a nutshell this is a pen through signed card, and it looks freaking stunning!

The routine I use for this is the black hole routine, you have a card selected and signed as you talk about how cartoon characters can use potable holes, you now draw a portable hole on the signed selection (you draw a black circle on the face of the card). You now flip the signed selection face down and push the Sharpie right through the card, (no exaggeration here, this gets gasps and shouts of, do that again etc), you now immediately hand both the pen and selection to the spectator to check out!

This is an up to date version of the cigarette through card and the gimmick is very well made indeed. I've been using mine now for a number of weeks and believe me it's getting some stick, but it's still like new and will last a very long time indeed. Each unit is hand made and is a labour of love, and you also get a DVD with some great tips and effects. This is as self-working as it gets, the gimmick does all the work for you! STC is a quick but stunning effect and is a great lead-in to any card effect where you have a card signed, or you can use it as a stand alone effect. Very highly recommended! You can get STC from here http://www.alakazam.co.uk/

Gary Jones.
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 14:51, saysold1 wrote:
Personally I think what makes STC so powerful as an effect is the fact that the spectator does not expect a hole to be there at all - or one to be created and then healed. Showing a hole prior might be fine but I find that the gasps one gets when performing STC is directly related to something happening which is sudden and unexpected.
[/quote]

you might be right. I haven't actually performed this for anyone yet... so I've gotta test out some different methods.

but I really like the idea of the cartoon hole thing, just because I like the story/theme and it gives some justification to what you're doing. the main thing I don't like about drawing it on the face of the card is that it doesn't make as much sense to turn the card over and have it go through the other side that doesn't have the hole.

maybe you could draw a hole on the face of the card... then turn it over and say something like "if this was a real hole, you'd see it from this side of the card too... but since it's a cartoon hole that I drew on, you can't see it... but it's still there... watch" ... then do the penetration. it gives some justification as to why you would draw a hole on the face of the card, and then flip it over and put the sharpie through the other side with no hole.

but I think I'll still try with a sticker on the back of the card. they sign the face, I put the sticker on the back, let them examine it... and I'd guess that you get a good retention of vision when you do your DL since they're expecting that black sticker to be there, so they have even less of a reason to doubt that it's in fact their card.

maybe I'm giving my spectator's too much credit, but some might find it suspecious that they signed the face of the card, and then I put the sharpie through the back (not signed). so they may suspect that it's a different card, because otherwise, why wouldn't I put it through the face where they can see their signiture? so it might be good to have some sort of justification for putting it through the back of the card rather than the face so that it's a logical part of the patter and they wont find that suspicious.
If Gary Jones is getting great reactions with the cartoon hole... then maybe I need to try it out and see what the reactions are. I'm probably wrong lol.

STC is a work of art.

I still can't figure out the mechanics of how the gimmick resets so cleanly. Amazing craftsmanship.
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 01:29, AdamChance wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-08-25 14:51, saysold1 wrote:
[/quote]

you might be right. I haven't actually performed this for anyone yet... so I've gotta test out some different methods.

but I really like the idea of the cartoon hole thing, just because I like the story/theme and it gives some justification to what you're doing. the main thing I don't like about drawing it on the face of the card is that it doesn't make as much sense to turn the card over and have it go through the other side that doesn't have the hole.

maybe you could draw a hole on the face of the card... then turn it over and say something like "if this was a real hole, you'd see it from this side of the card too... but since it's a cartoon hole that I drew on, you can't see it... but it's still there... watch" ... then do the penetration. it gives some justification as to why you would draw a hole on the face of the card, and then flip it over and put the sharpie through the other side with no hole.

but I think I'll still try with a sticker on the back of the card. they sign the face, I put the sticker on the back, let them examine it... and I'd guess that you get a good retention of vision when you do your DL since they're expecting that black sticker to be there, so they have even less of a reason to doubt that it's in fact their card.

maybe I'm giving my spectator's too much credit, but some might find it suspecious that they signed the face of the card, and then I put the sharpie through the back (not signed). so they may suspect that it's a different card, because otherwise, why wouldn't I put it through the face where they can see their signiture? so it might be good to have some sort of justification for putting it through the back of the card rather than the face so that it's a logical part of the patter and they wont find that suspicious.
[/quote]

Please don't take this the wrong way, I think you may be looking at this from a magician's perspective, I've road tested 100s of times and the freak and love it. The drawing of the "black hole" adds immensely to the presentation, and when you immediately hand them both card and pen they freak even more as there just isn't any explanation to it. The black hole presentation is sheer nonsense, you reel them in but then you hit them with the magic, this is much better than just doing a trick! Remember, this is all part of the entertainment, feeding them an impossible story and then bringing it to life ;-)

Gary.
I really like the idea of the hole. You could continue the plot and perform smoke by alan rorrison.
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 13:01, macc wrote:
I really like the idea of the hole. You could continue the plot and perform smoke by alan rorrison.
[/quote]

That's a great idea macc, I have ordered the double pack red and blue now I need to find my Smoke ha ha !
Thanks Knobz1. Investigating it right now...
STC gets GREAT REACTIONS !!!

I always keep this with me.
[quote]
On 2013-08-26 13:01, macc wrote:
[/quote] can you pm me on the pen idea? I like the idea on using them together.
Have a look on my post re v deck.Putting finishing touches to this routine.Firstly stc so well made, though I'm a card splitter etc.Carnt see me making anything as good as this.I look at it in a mirror and amaze myself.Its incredible.If your sitting on the fence on this one get the combo pack I wish I had.V deck can use any colour deck.So the routine is give the spec the deck and examine it,take a card they like.when they have, take back the deck,do the dirty work for the v deck whilst they sign card.But have stc gimmick in your hand as well.Whatever card they have chosen talk about that card being a symbol of a born survivor.The card actually chose them.Do stc see,,your card is unharmed.A born survivor.Like you.show a few cards re v deck dvd.You could have chosen any card.Put stc underneath top card so not to harm it when you slide into box.Do the v deck routine.All have faded away but your card and like the survivor you are,still here.When everyone else has gone.Take out the only card that's left in the box.Sign the back putting best of luck And there name.Then do my version of torched and restored.They will see the back of their card being ripped to pieces, your signature with best of luck.At one point clearly have the piece off the back with there name on it in your other hand,showing it to be completely removed.Do the work.Restore and see a born survivor just like you.Give them card to keep.You just have my modded gimmick for torched and restored already signed apart from name which you add when signing the back of their card.Carnt say anymore about adding or modding the gimmick for torched and restored without giving it away.
Loving the ideas guys!
How are you guys ditching the gaff card after the effect? maybe just a gambler's cop and put it in your pocket while they're examining their card and sharpie?

how about this: when they are examining their card, you turn all the cards in the deck over except the top card (so now the deck is face up, but it looks face down). you tell them to put their card back in the deck (face down). you put the cards back in the case. you flip the case a few times. tell them that you made all the cards turn face up except their card. take the cards out of the case, retaining the gimmick card in the case. hand the spectator the deck, and their card will be the only face down card. put the case with the gimmick card away. if you have an invisible deck (ideally of a differnet colour), you can say how this trick works with a thought of card, break out your ID, show a thought of card face down. then go back to doing tricks with your origional deck.
What do you guy think of doing ignition and/or pen thru card after doing S.T.C?
[quote]
On 2013-09-09 01:42, AdamChance wrote:
[/quote]

I'd say overkill.
[quote]
On 2013-09-09 01:43, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I'd say overkill.
[/quote]

but is overkill good or bad?

let's say you draw your fake hole on the face of the card, put the sharpie through... they hold the sharpie, then you turn their card back over. they are holding the sharpie, so they know the sharpie is real... so their only thought might be that it wasn't their card that you put the sharpie through. but if you do something like ignition right after, now they see your key go right through their card, and they see it on both sides (with their signiture)... and they can examine the card and they key (and the sharpie). so when they try and work out the method, it would be very difficult because the penetrations use a different method (and I think spectators tend to think that the same method is used for both, and therefore, they can't reach a correct explanation).

I think that performing the same trick with a different method can be very strong. because maybe their first thought is that it isn't really their card... but the second penetration proves that it really was their card. their next thought is that the item doing the penetration is gimmicked... but they're holding the sharpie and can examine everything, so that can't be the method either.

I think if both penetrations are done is quick succession... sorta presenting it like a "throw away" instead of building the effect up... it helps prove the effect using the two different methods.

I recently bought the pen through dollar (the gray normal looking pen) ... and it looks really good going through the card... a very convincing illusion.

but if you did sharpie through card... then pen through card, then ignition.... I'm thinking they wont know what hit them. they just saw 3 normal objects go right through their card and they're able to examine everything... and when you combine all the effects, how are they supposed to know what's going on? if using the drawn on hole presentation, the difficult part will be hitting the hole with the pen and ignition... but with practice (and a bigish hole) it should be no problem.
[quote]
On 2013-09-09 21:11, AdamChance wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-09-09 01:43, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

I'd say overkill.
[/quote]

but is overkill good or bad?

let's say you draw your fake hole on the face of the card, put the sharpie through... they hold the sharpie, then you turn their card back over. they are holding the sharpie, so they know the sharpie is real... so their only thought might be that it wasn't their card that you put the sharpie through. but if you do something like ignition right after, now they see your key go right through their card, and they see it on both sides (with their signiture)... and they can examine the card and they key (and the sharpie). so when they try and work out the method, it would be very difficult because the penetrations use a different method (and I think spectators tend to think that the same method is used for both, and therefore, they can't reach a correct explanation).

I think that performing the same trick with a different method can be very strong. because maybe their first thought is that it isn't really their card... but the second penetration proves that it really was their card. their next thought is that the item doing the penetration is gimmicked... but they're holding the sharpie and can examine everything, so that can't be the method either.

I think if both penetrations are done is quick succession... sorta presenting it like a "throw away" instead of building the effect up... it helps prove the effect using the two different methods.

I recently bought the pen through dollar (the gray normal looking pen) ... and it looks really good going through the card... a very convincing illusion.

but if you did sharpie through card... then pen through card, then ignition.... I'm thinking they wont know what hit them. they just saw 3 normal objects go right through their card and they're able to examine everything... and when you combine all the effects, how are they supposed to know what's going on? if using the drawn on hole presentation, the difficult part will be hitting the hole with the pen and ignition... but with practice (and a bigish hole) it should be no problem.
[/quote]

It depends on you as a magician I guess...I think doing it would be redundant and overkill. But you can do ignition for people who will say "Show everyone that sharpie through the card thing!" later on in the day or night and that would be great and it really adds to your mystique as a magician.
I played around with the gimmick and have to admit, the blue gimmick looks terrific. the red one
is not as good as the blue one imo (the preparation is pretty visible under certain light conditions.

the gimmick is really extremely well done (i would never try to construct this). the doublelift that is needed for the bring in and the clean up is pretty hard to achieve (because of the thickness of the gimmick).

I will give it a try with sience friction spray to see how it plays. at the moment, a top change is definetly the way to go for me.

just my 5 swissfrancs
Try the science friction my friend. Makes a big difference. Push off to the side with your forefinger from the true top then flip.
Ya, the DL is a little bit tough to do properly. since the gimmick doesn't bend, I can't really do my standard DL. I do the DL using my thumb on the bottom edge and my middle finger along the top edge. I use my left thumb to do the flip while my right middle finger slides along the top edge and my right thumb slides along the bottom edge.

but since this is an opener to an ACR for me, it doesn't look suspecious since I haven't done any other DLs yet... so they have nothing to compare it to yet.
That's why science friction and STC are an ideal match. The Dl is easy with a small amount of treatment on the card center.
They now have SHERPA versions!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/search.php?q=Sharpie+Through+Card+SHERPA
I have been having a lot of fun with this but I do use it as a standalone with a deck that's half full of previously signed cards. I am sure you can work a routine or 2 around it. But let's face it you kind of have to be careful with the gaff and I like to get it back in the box as soon as possible. I would not like to palm it off and have it floating Ina pocket. I have also used SF and like it for this trick but a flip over double is not that hard to do and it's a pretty expensive can of spray if you don't have a day job.
Hello everyone. I'm just about to purchase this, but I have a question about its thickness. Is it the same thickness as the traditional cig through card? I like to keep that card in the wrapper on the outside of my deck. It can't be seen because it looks like it's the design on the outside of the box. Then I can bring it into play when I want to use it. Would I be able to do that with the STC? Or is it thicker than the cig thru card? Thank you!
I have tried the wrapper thing and found the STC would fit but it was just too tight of a fit for my taste.
However, I believe there is probably some variance in card box manufacturing so it may be possible in some cases, but I kind of doubt it.
What a funny coincidence. Recently I bought The Amazing Magical Wonder deck by Mr. Mysterio, with a pack of cards and a nice booklet, and it contained several gimmicked cards, including the pencil through card trick! Because I also own the Alakazam Sharpie through card, I could compare these, and the principle is exactly the same! Of course, the Sharpie gimmick has a bigger h**e.
[quote]
On 2013-09-28 14:10, frankieacemagic wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm just about to purchase this, but I have a question about its thickness. Is it the same thickness as the traditional cig through card? I like to keep that card in the wrapper on the outside of my deck. It can't be seen because it looks like it's the design on the outside of the box. Then I can bring it into play when I want to use it. Would I be able to do that with the STC? Or is it thicker than the cig thru card? Thank you!
[/quote]

I forget where I bought my cig through card... so not sure if there are more than one version... but S.T.C is definately thiner than the cig through card gimmick I have.

S.T.C is certainly thicker than a single card... but it's as thick or maybe even less thick than 2 cards.

so when I got it, I was happy with how thin the gimmick is.

the problem with the DL is not really in the thickness of the card, but more so that the card doesn't really bend much. so that's what makes the DL tricky. but it's certainly possible to do it convincingly. just gotta practice and find a method that works for you. from what people have posted, science friction seems like the ideal solution... but I've managed to do it without resorting to that.
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Looks like another worker! I love the idea of having a card selected and signed, t - - change, sharpie through card, t - - change, examined, then pen through anything. I know some of you said overkill, but I love the fact that all possible gimmicks are ruled out at that point!
Really glad you're all enjoying your STC's. I still have so much fun performing it.

Peter
I just received this fantastic effect and had to chime in

Bravo Mr. Nardi!

The gimmick is so well made I am awestruck, I keep fooling myself as I practice.
I need to polish my handling and of course some practice, but I look forward to the reactions this effect will get

Thank you for producing such a top notch gimmick, and a replacement for my beloved but impractical in many cases cig thru card

very very very pleased with this effect
Thanks so much. Really glad you like it.

Peter
Great effect - love the gimmick. Does anyone else have issues with it getting loose though? (where it won't always close all the way). I've been using a finger underneath to make sure it sticks, but curious if there is any quick fix for it.
I don't know how old your gimmick is but these just don't last forever. It is the nature of something made of paper and rubber
[quote]
On 2013-12-20 00:12, Xcath1 wrote:
I don't know how old your gimmick is but these just don't last forever. It is the nature of something made of paper and rubber
[/quote]

Thank you for enlightening me of this. I never knew that. I've used those items for years & always thought paper & rubber lasted forever... :)

Actually, I've had the gimmick for about two weeks, and practiced with it about a half a dozen times a night (rather gently I might add). It seemed to loosen up after a few tries. I worked out handling that works, so it's no biggie. I was just wondering if anyone had the same issue & had a way to fix it.
Well if you hear of a way to fix it let us all know.Mine stayed pretty nice looking for I think a hundred or more hits but now doesn't close quite as tightly. Modest life span is why I rarely buy gimmicks like this but this one was too much fun. I think Peter Nardi will replace one that he is really convinced is a lemon but I don't speak for him
How are you guys ditching the gimmick?

I want to use this at the start of my ACR... but it's only easy for me to ditch if I'm wearing my TKO 2.0.

or do you just cut it into the deck and continue your routine with the gimmick in the middle of the deck somewhere?
Please excuse my ignorance. How is the SHERPA version different from the regular version?
Sherpa has a larger diameter hole.
I believe that's the only difference.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Working with this now. Very nice effect with a Sharpie. Does anyone know offhand if the cigarette through card is still produced though? I'm working on a routine and I usually buy from Penguin but I didn't see it offered there...
http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/english.html

Check out this site for cig thru card. Heard good things about this version and Bernd is great to work with and does excellent work.
Yes he has excellent product's.
Whenever I'm bored, I just take out my STC and keep on fooling myself with it. It just is so much fun to play with it!
BUY IT!!!
Jp
[quote]
On 2014-01-31 14:41, thecardbutler wrote:
Whenever I'm bored, I just take out my STC and keep on fooling myself with it. It just is so much fun to play with it!
BUY IT!!!
Jp
[/quote]
heheh I do the same lol
the illusion is so bloody perfect

Shawn
Yeah if ever there was an excuse for using a gimmick.
Will there or could there ever be plans to do this in Phoenix? I have veered away from Bicycle and I like to exclusively use Phoenix when I perform. I hate the idea of having to carry a bicycle deck for one trick.

-Bobby
Apparently there is going to be a Phoenix version, according to last weeks episode of TNT.
I hope this is sooner rather than later; hopefully Peter from Alakazam or Christian from card-shark can confirm.
As a new user to this Café I am finding every time I log in my wallet gets lighter! And this is another effect that looks AMAZING and I have convinced myself is a must for me. Looking at the reviews I won't be disappointed!
Cheers Guys :)
Christian stated in another thread that the Phoenix version should be available in a couple weeks or so, along with a Sherpa version as well.
I actually threw mine away by accident. It looks so real that I thought it was some leftover cards I left on my coffee table and tossed it with the trash!
Bought another the next day!
Way to go Tom, you're mot supposed to make your magic disappear!
I wish Peter would make it in the mandolin as well. I switched to mandolin because of the thicker card stock and the mandolin backs are beautiful.
I have STC and highly recommend it. It's very smooth in operation also feels like it would last a long time if stored safely.
I also just bought this gimmick ... and just one word for this product ... BEAUTY..!!
Highly recommended...
Don't know if this has been brought up before but has anyone used Science Friction on the special card? Any advantages or no? Just wondering.
[quote]On Jul 24, 2014, Snidini wrote:
Don't know if this has been brought up before but has anyone used Science Friction on the special card? Any advantages or no? Just wondering. [/quote]

Why? What would you be trying to accomplish? I don’t get it.

Jim
[quote]On Jul 25, 2014, J-Mac wrote:
[quote]On Jul 24, 2014, Snidini wrote:
Don't know if this has been brought up before but has anyone used Science Friction on the special card? Any advantages or no? Just wondering. [/quote]

Why? What would you be trying to accomplish? I don’t get it.

Jim [/quote]
It has been brought up, if you have a read through the thread you will see people's experiences (near the start of the thread).
I presume it's to do with making the slights easier innit.
Yes, it does help. Due to the thick card, the clean up is ever so slightly awkward. SF makes it easier and more casual.
I put SF on mine and super easy to work the gimmick. :magicrabbit:
I put SF on mine. Did make the DL a little easier but when it started to peel I did not replace it. It is a surprising heat free moment. This remains the only mechanical card I use. It is really a jaw dropper.
Yes it does help, big time. Much smoother.
I do use SF but not on STC; for whatever reason I find STC easy enough to do without it.

Jim
I just got this Friday and my 6 y/o daughter who is learning magic, decided to pull the Sharpie all the way through and has nearly made this unusable. Is there anyway to fix this? The fl** wont sit flush..... Are there reloads available or do I have to buy the DVD set again?
I don't think you can get the card on its own, I replaced mine with a new one last week, the original is still fine for backup though.
Another one to add to my sharpie routine. Looks great
For those looking for an alternative to using a DL or SF or just add another element to the effect I can't recommend enough, The Exchange Deck. If the deck isn't able to be found for sale, Thomas Medina teaches how to make it in his Penguin Live lecture.
The gimmick is so nicely crafted and made, looking at my audiences expressions I can tell they have no clue and are truly wowed by the effect. It's funny to watch them think the sharpie is the gimmick as the card is fully examinable. Despite the sharpie being examinable they tend to think its the sharpie, it's s good distraction from the reality!!
There is only 1 flaw, the gimmick needs to be taken care otherwise there is a possibility of it spoiling. however if generally good care is taken the gimmick is last you for very long without any spoiling or trouble
It is a thing of beauty. I have it in both red/blue
I watch myself in the mirror doing it and I'm amazed how smooth it looks .
It's good as a one off or part of a routine . Being going through my magic drawers after a while from the scene and discovering old and new gems that needs to be used more
And this one of them
[quote]On Mar 28, 2016, montanna40 wrote:
It is a thing of beauty. I have it in both red/blue
I watch myself in the mirror doing it and I'm amazed how smooth it looks .
It's good as a one off or part of a routine . Being going through my magic drawers after a while from the scene and discovering old and new gems that needs to be used more
And this one of them [/quote]

Yes I totally agree, going through my shoe box filled with magic effects and gimmicks, this was certainly one of my better buys
Curious if members are still using this, and if you bought it, how long (performances) does it last before needing to be replaced?
Got this in the mail today. Already watched the learning video (doesn't come with DVD anymore, just online instructional video?), and it is a well made effect....BUT, the angles of viewing are going to be an issue for me in my settings where I would perform this (or, like to perform this).

Also, I did it to our oldest child who is seven, to see reactions.
First thing he did was to "drop and look" at the Sharpie going through the card. :)

BUT, I think it's workable for certain situations I'm in, and I'm curious how members transport this? Any good card carrying cases that would be recommended to carry this one in, in pockets?
Angles can be an issue, but this is a powerful effect.

Billion
[quote]On Jul 25, 2014, MR Effecto wrote:
I put SF on mine and super easy to work the gimmick. :magicrabbit: [/quote]

Same with me. SF makes the DL 100% simple so you can concentrate on the performance.
Where can I purchase this SF?
[quote]On Apr 23, 2019, RIFFRAFF12 wrote:
Where can I purchase this SF? [/quote]

http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=18&lang=en&detail=true&Category=2&ArtID=178