(Close Window)
Topic: Greatest Stage Illusion Ever
This would be a very interesting topic I guess :D Would be pretty fun to hear people's opinions on what their choice for the greatest illusion ever performed that they've ever seen being performed on stage would be.

For me I didn't need to think a lot, hands down I would say for me It would be:

" David Copperfield's Portal Illusion "

This for me, is hands down the GREATEST STAGE ILLUSION EVER PERFORMED by a magician/illusionist before. This just passes any boundary in my mind for amusement and amazement. I don't know where to start whether the disappearance or the reappearance....or the amount of technology needed to perform this illusion. And to quad-ripple the amazement of this....DC actually use to perform this IN HIS TOUR for years night after night, not just a one time event :D !
My knowledge on how this illusion works is nearly 0 % . And a big part of me doesn't wanna know and just wants to live the magic :D Additionally the way Copperfield does it with the music is very emotional concerning the IMPOSSIBILITY of it and if you believe its possible along with the 5 star music of the dragonheart theme finale. Also the way its performed with no stooges whatsoever by having a Frisbee thrown in the audience etc.. Also the vanishing the way they are... "SUCKED IN THE PORTAL" as the curtain is pulled away. And done apparently "WITH AN AUDIENCE MEMBER" (even if it was someone per-planned with as any spectator would think that, its still that amazing and doesn't take away anything from the illusion).

So that's why I think this is the greatest stage illusion ever performed. Even in comparison with grand illusions, it will be tough for me to decide Portal or Vanishing The Statue Of Liberty was more amazing.

I thought about the illusion "thirteen" as the greatest ever, but I guess It would be in my top 3 or so not my top one :D :) !

Your welcomed to participate and say what do you think was the greatest stage illusion/stage magic you have ever witnessed and why :D !
For me, it was Harry Blackstone Jr's Dancing Hanky. It's not because it was some power-packed production. It's because it caught my attention and made me WANT to believe that the little handkerchief had come to life.

THAT to me is what magic is all about. Anybody with enough money had DO a trick...but it takes a special skill to be magical.

It's not about the boxes, the props or any of that (although those things have their place and are certainly important). It's about the WONDER. It's about creating a smile. It's about touching a heart. It's all about getting someone to stop and think "maybe I DO believe!"

If we can create THAT feeling in our audience...we have created magic.
Teller's "Shadows" would be on my list.
AK, you have to spend more time going through the Café files, many of the topics that you bring up have been well covered, and some more than once.

However, that being said, seeing Flying live and up close is an incredible experience.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Blair, I agree Flying was as perfect an illusion you can get. If we were "Real Magicians" then flying would be what we would do. I did love the Death Saw..the staging the visuals were incredible. In my opinion Copperfield has created and performed the greatest illusions in Magic.
IF THE STORY IS TRUE, then I would have to say Jean Robert-Houdin's performance of the light and heavy chest to prevent an uprising with the Marabouts. He was able to actually convince his audience that the magic was real.

Kent
Harry Blackstone Jr. performing the floating lightbulb was it for me. When that lightbulb flew out over the audience and then back to him, it was beyond a pre-teen kids realm of understanding. It was beautiful and magical and I will remember it always.
If I were talking current performers, I would have to agree with noble1, that Teller's Shadows is one of my current favorites.
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Jun 27, 2013 05:07PM)
After seeing Penn & Teller this past summer in Vegas, Tellers "Shadows" was great but I thought his version of the Misers Dream was absolutely incredible. It got audible "gasps" from the audience (mine included).

Mark
For me this is a very difficult question to answer since I've seen already so many things. Even though I didn't see everything, but concerning David Copperfield I was more amazed, mesmerized and entertained with his Flying than any other of his illusions.

I agree with David that it was very magical to see this illusion performed on his live tour and close up (I was sitting in the 4th row center stage).

But as said, there are so many well performed and presented illusions by different artistes that I've seen already that I think it's very hard to have a number 1.

Oliver.
David Devant's The Moth (when it worked).
Seeing Blackstone (SR) do Drum that can't be beat. Copp's Flying. Harbin doing Zig Zag. Phoa's cut/restored handkerchief.
Pete, I don't recall Phoa, can you help my old brain out with more information?
Msillusions,
I can help you out.
Phoa was a top performer from Holland.
I will give you a link, so you have the c/r handkerchief and
search for other links on you tube.
Santé
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ESNjOSw_epk
Flying - hands down.

Haven't seen Shadows yet - looking forward to seeing it in August!
John Wills, thank you ! I have been in magic a long time and I could not recall the name Phoa. I appreciate your help!
Mr. Blair, in fact before I started this thread, I searched the Café for similar topics and didn't find any similar topics and didn't find, so yeah thanks :)

Its VERY interesting seeing the different opinions of people, especially seeing some old school stuff :D
Old school stuff?????
CLASSICS they are!!!!!!!!!
I never disagreed Mr. John, but I thought with the development of technology and the more availabilty of ready illusion props and illusion plans, Id see a lot more picks on the new illusions.
One certain illusion that I had a tough time deciding if it was better than Copperfield's Portal was

" David Copperfield's Barclay House "

There are no words that can describe the beauty of this illusion and series of mind blowing jaw shattering stunts there.
I honestly have no idea how ANY part of the illusion works but I just wanna believe that these were ghosts :D !
I'm agreeing on both counts with Mark. Teller’s “Shadows”, which is very dramatic and mysterious, is really something, and then his re-working of the “Misers Dream” which has that “treat for the eyes” feeling to it, as well as the gold fish ending is so cool.
I don't care what anyone says...Penn and Teller are just simply fantastic!

[quote]
On 2013-06-27 18:07, Mark Boody Illusionist wrote:
After seeing Penn & Teller this past summer in Vegas, Tellers "Shadows" was great but I thought his version of the Misers Dream was absolutely incredible. It got audible "gasps" from the audience (mine included).

Mark
[/quote]
AmrKhaled,
If you can't pay for developed illusions and available ready top illusions (as YOU stated before) you COULD start
with a few classics as there is the c/r handkerchief. Have you seen it in your country performed by anyone?
I know of a professional top performer who performs the c/r paper (Anderson's) in e v e r y show for more than 25 years and
he awe's his audience a l w a y s.
That's a matter of personality.
Even Pete Biro was baffled by Phoa (as he stated above) with the c/r silk, when he saw it the first time!!!
That's the reason it also became a classic, it baffled even the masters.
Don't reach BEYOND your dreams and possibilities.
Stop dreaming, AWAKE and start creating and w o r k I n g!
Amen, John Wills! I am a friend of Gene Anderson...and it never ceases to amaze me how baffling his torn and restored newspaper is. It is, indeed, a classic of magic that just blows layman away!
Mr. John Im not sure by your post if you want me to create new effects or perform classics. But quiet honestly ive given up on creating new magic. Im new into the world of magic (3rd Year and 1st on stage) and I have thought of 2 effects that were beyond 5 stars for me that is (1 of them was the cassette prediction and the other was my version of the master prediction system). I kept developing and trying to create my own version for months....in the end to realize theyre already available in the market 10x better and 10x 10s of versions for them. So I doubt my mind can create something all these geniuses with their teams couldn't lol :D Now as for performing classics. I live in Egypt and we don't have any magicians or illusionists not even in history that were well known (sure the developers of the cups and balls but yeah...). So we don't have any famous magician/illusionist here....and by the way I was stating the illusions I loved not what I was trying to GRASP. Ill see the illusion your talking about if it looks good to me or not, thank you for the advice anyways :) !
I have to say that while it's not the most technically difficult or shocking, my favorite has to be David Copperfield's After Hours, it's beautiful, elegant, simple and impressive

Greatest though, I'd say, would have to be David Copperfield's Barclay House
The Eclipse Illusion by Peter Tappan
Teller's Red Ball is a showstopper
Doug Henning's performance of "The Mascot Moth" or "Thing's That Go Bump In The Night".
Copperfield's "Flying" - because for a moment it made me believe that "real" magic does exist...
Copperfield has really done some fantastic effects over the course of his career. But my 2 favorite of his are the Dancing Ties (Explosive Encounter special) and the Cutting In 6ths with a Laser he did with Catherine Bach as his assistant(Vanishing Airplane special).

One illusion I've only seen in pictures but would love to see life is Horace Goldins 'Seeing Through a Hindu'.
I've only seen the video of it, but I loved Copperfield's appearance in the Portal Special, I think he called it One...
It's not a Grand Illusion, but my favorite magic of all would have to be watching Lance Burton do his dove routine!